• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
29 | Pokemon Go Fest 2021
PC | July 17 | Ongoing | 4/5
gkjHwdn.png

I have played Pokemon Go on and off since it's release back in 2016 but I have never joined a Go Fest. Since I was playing it at the time, I decided to do it this year. The catching day alone had me outside for five hours straight; the abundant Pokemon to catch was fun solo. I've been getting some exercise so kudos to the game for encouraging me to walk. The $5 this year was definitely worth it. I wasn't expecting an actual story line in this app game either.

I like a lot of the new changes the game has made over the years. More frequent and difficult Team Rocket fights, added Pokemon and shinies, more "quests" to join in and earn rewards. I even tried PvP. It's okay, but I wish they keep the Element Cup around longer than GL. I like having more restrictions in PvP so it feels less like "pay to win". Or in this case, if you have a super niche or legendary Pokemon...you win.

The app could definitely run better. A lot of the times, I have to turn off my WiFi on my phone to do anything. Even if I'm at home with internet connection. The PvP can be sloppy because of that. I don't live in the middle of nowhere either. I'm in a big city.

The app is adding new Pokemon this weekend from beating challenges from Go Fest. It has me excited and can't ask too much more from an entertainment game.

30 | Mass Effect Legendary Edition (ME2)
IgfPFnE.png

PC | July 20 | 51 hrs | 3/5

This was a far down grade from the first game. Yikes all the way. I feel generous with a 3 rating honestly. Let's not even discuss the amount of bugs.

I absolutely hate the combat. You can't use medi packs now unless a teammate is down. You have to hide to regenerate health. The majority of fights you have to be hiding constantly or you're dead. My class doesn't feel special in any way like the first game. Ripped that RPG element away. Teammates are stupid. They will stand in the middle of the room instead of cover and continuously die. You will try to run but your character will instead cover every object in front of you. Sometimes you'll even randomly stand up from cover without hitting a button and get shredded with bullets. Hate the combat. Terrible experience.

The QTE of the Paragon choices was another terrible decision. When I am watching a cutscene, I want to be WATCHING the damn cutscene. Not worried I'll miss a quick button to make a choice. A lot of the times it isn't clear what you're doing. I made a "good" Paragon option in a conversation and kissed someone...like what? It was so random.

I was interested in the story in the first Mass Effect. This game was less story and Recruit the Video Game (tm). You spend the majority of the game meeting someone, doing their quest to make them happy, then rinse and repeat. That's it...when you're not scanning the 57th planet.

You're focused on a new danger here, that the danger from the previous game feels ignored. It was sloppy.

I do not have high hopes for the third game. If I bought this when it was first released, I think I would have skipped the last one. This game felt like it ripped every good thing from the first one and added poor mechanics. Bleh.

Main Post

Last edited:

Lobotomaxx

Dec 30, 2019
Nebraska
13/52

wVjdIvF.jpg

Mass Effect Legendary Edition: Mass Effect 2 | Steam | 4/5 | 52 hours | played with Whimsicalish

Continuing one with Commander Shepard's tale with Mass Effect 2. Upon playing this a second time in the Legendary edition, I didn't like it as much as I did the first time I played it. It is still Very Good and better than the first game in my opinion, I felt the story wasn't as good. You build a team the entire game to make a mad dash suicide run towards some aliens which is what the game climaxes with. A lot of the character building with your squad is done by running back to them between missions on the ship to talk to them and find out a little more about them. If you don't do that, they're just sort of a person taking up a room on the ship. It got to the point for me where I only used a couple of characters most of the game (I love you, Mordin) and the other characters were just along for the ride.

I also ran into more problems / crashes with this version that I did the second one. Multiple times I would click a skill for either myself or my squad mates and the skill button would drag off of the bar and the game would just hard close. I'd have to reopen and hope there was an autosave recently. I also had an issue a couple of times where I would try to use a skill and the game would do something unrelated; once every time a skill was used, a medi-gel would be used even though none of my party was dead. Another time, Shepard would throw a grenade after every skill. These issues were solved by saving and reopening the game, but still a bummer.

This is still totally worth playing and still really good, it just seemed like 10 semi-connected stories of some people going to blow up (or save) an alien base.

14/52

Mass Effect 2: Zaeed/Kasumi/Normandy DLC | Steam | 2/5 | 3 hours

Not going to post a picture for this as it is actually 3 separate DLC packs that I've smashed together to count as one. The Normandy ship exploration is a quick 20-ish minute search through some wreckage for small story bits, experience and a hat you can put in your captain quarters. The other two are recruiting two playable characters, which adds them to your team and also makes them loyal (will die for you).

Zaeed's mission was sort of a dud and mostly just a straight line and killing people that get in your way. His mission was unique in that you could technically "fail" it, which would make him not loyal and unlikely to survive the suicide mission at the end of the game. Kasumi's mission was better in that it was more of a spy story with small puzzle elements to steal something from a rich douchebag. While it is probably worth it to get these characters and play the missions, they aren't very long and when you finish them, the characters don't have conversations with you like the rest of the crew. There is a button prompt and they will talk to you but you don't get to really "guide" a conversation like you do with everyone else. It felt sort of tacked on and not as fleshed out.

15/52

cMEooi4.jpg

Mass Effect 2: Project Firewalker | Steam | 1/5 | 4 hours

Man, I don't know. A lot of the time on this DLC is inflated because we were flying around scanning planets in the systems that were unlocked because of this. You get a new vehicle to replace the Mako from the first game and then you use it ONLY in this DLC on 5 planets (which are mostly on rails) and one further DLC. I didn't really care for how it controlled, there was little story and when there was combat there wasn't any way to see how damaged the vehicle was other than it bursting into flames and then exploding into a game over.

16/52

rq5CG63.jpg

Mass Effect 2: Overlord | Steam | 3/5 | 2 hours

What a sick promo image. This story DLC at LEAST had some story compared to the previous one. Shepard is investigating a station that has been taken over by a human / AI hybrid scientists were making to try to interface with the Geth (sentience AI race). Not a ton of voice acting with just a couple characters voiced and generic screams from dudes when you kill them with fire. Worth playing because of a couple upgrades you can get for the main game and likely small story bits in the third game.

17/52

MZKegHG.jpg

Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker | Steam | 3/5 | 3 hours

Probably the most sizable DLC pack which returns a character from the first game who you couldn't otherwise play as in this game. It was odd as you could romance her in the first game but she was relegated to side character in the second game. She wasn't going on any stupid suicide mission. You look into the mysterious Shadow Broker who is an information dealer that has been talked about in both the first and second game. Nobody knows who it actually is but your ex-girlfriend needs you to check it out. Introduces a new race that hasn't been mentioned at all in either game with a cool boss fight. Worth a play for sure, if only for the computer at the end of the pack you can read your crew's e-mails with.

18/52

xBgukLe.jpg

Mass Effect 2: Arrival | Steam | 3/5 | 2 hours

The final DLC which serves as a direct tie in to the beginning of the third game. Shepard is investigating the arrest of a scientist who is missing. A lot of this deals with the Reapers, a turbo powered technological machine race that's coming to wreck the galaxy's shit. This race shows up every 50,000 years or so and ruins everything for everyone. They're getting ready to come back and Shepard needs to stall them. Worth a play to set up the third game.

Phew. Thank you, Mass Effect DLC for pushing me slightly closer to my goal.

Main Post

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
raft-free-download.jpg

Main Post

23. Raft | ★★★★★

Spoiler Warning: This post contains minor spoilers for Raft. If you have any interest in playing the game, just go play it. The surprises are the best part.

Disclaimer: Raft is in early access and still being actively developed. It's campaign is not yet finished. Yet after 50 hours my group has reached the end of Raft's story as it currently exists. It feels strange to consider the game beaten, but then again I have "beaten" other early access games (e.g Valheim, although it's narrative arc has an end) and I have also beaten far shorter games. Also, since I have finished the story as it exists and exhausted all available content, it doesn't feel disingenuous to say the game is beaten as it exists. My time playing Raft has not concluded, but I probably won't be playing it much more until the next major update comes out. The Second Chapter came out in October of 2020, so there's no telling when the Third Chapter will release. I will likely include the Third Chapter as an update to this post. For these reasons, I feel justified in considering Raft beaten at this point in time.

I knew Raft was my kind of game the first time I laid eyes on it. My MP group plays a lot of survival games. At this point, it's probably my number one favorite genre, even though every game reuses the same tropes and mechanics over and over again. I simply do not mind out repetitive and dry all of this is. It's the perfect kind of game to play with friends. You can chill out, have some good conversation, make some good progress, and if things get quiet on Discord, it's simple enough to pull up YT or Netflix as you explore and scrounge.

I was not disappointed when we finally decided to purchase Raft. The game starts you (and your friends) out on a tiny raft made of 2x2 foundation blocks (each of which is perhaps 2x2 ft) out in the middle of the ocean. You have a hook on a rope, which you can use to retrieve ocean garbage. In turn, ocean garbage gets crafted into raft components, desalinaters, grills for cooking, and so on. You can make a tiny cup out of garbage for collecting water, and you can make a fishing rod for collecting food. Ocean trash gets split between building your dream Raft and keeping yourself alive, and with four people on board fighting for every piece of drift wood that floats by, you feel it every time you decide to load boards into the grill instead of building that addition you've been working on.

But despite the name, Raft is not solely about living your best Raft Life. There are islands for you to explore and comb for resources. Some islands are tiny and contain only a few trees and a little food. Others are massive and contain all kinds of goodies to find. Eventually through these adventures you build your Raft to such a state that you can begin tackling story content. Without venturing into spoiler territory, there are things to be done out on the open ocean and, for those interested, a story to unfold about how this world and its people came to exist in this state. In this regard the game goes far beyond just surviving out on the open seas. There are some truly spectacular sites to behold, and you never know what's coming up next.

At the end of the day, when you've seen what there is to see and you find what there is to find, you retreat to your Raft. After dozens of hours of play, ours has grown quite a bit into a three story behemoth. There's quite a bit of machinery on board. We raise plants and animals for food and we grow trees for wood. But my favorite part of our raft are the tiny details. Raft has a quite a lot of cosmetic furniture and decorations you can build. Going all out on decorating my home is one of my favorite things to do in basebuilding games, and yet so few of them put any real energy into this aspect. A recent patch added a bunch of new cosmetic options, so clearly I am in good hands. I can't wait to see what else they come up with.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
32. Yakuza Kiwami (PS4) | 7/17/2021 | 15 hrs | 4.5/5
After playing through Yakuza 0 earlier this year, I decided to continue through the series with Yakuza Kiwami. I loved this game just like 0. While I didn't feel it was as good as 0, it is still one of the best games I've played all year. I thought they did a great job with this remake after comparing it to some old Youtube videos of the PS2 original. The story was very interesting and kept me wanting to push through. The substories are always great and add more to Kiryu's story. I'm looking forward to going through Kiwami 2 soon.

Main Post

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Crusader-of-Centy-Genesis-Box.jpg

Main Post

24. Crusader of Centy | ★★★★☆

Credit to user Mama Robotnik for the excellent Sega Obscura 4 - The Eleven SEGA "Zeldas" (and the entire Sega Obscura series) without which I would not have played this game and several others.

Crusader of Centy is an unmistakable response to A Link to the Past. There's a lot of shared DNA between the way the playable character looks, moves, and swings his sword. Both games feature the same camera angle, an inventory of tools that expands over the course of the game, a focus on puzzles. The list goes on and on. Where Centy differs most from ALttP is that it features a jump button. There is quite a bit of platforming in Centy, and it's a good change. Centy also features a world map with selectable regions (a decision I am less thrilled with but it works well enough).

I had a great time with Crusader of Centy, but the game falls short of ALttP in a number of ways. The most immediate shortcoming is the sword. Both games use a rotational arc for the sword swing, but Centy's swing is slow and it feels imprecise and stingy with its hit detection. Mashing the attack button actually interupts the arc, and certain parts of the arc feel like dead zones. By comparison, ALttP's sword feels snappy and effective. Towards the end of Centy, the main character gains the ability to increase the sword speed dramatically, and it actually feels pretty good at that point. Unfortunately, it requires you to swap out one power-up for another rather than just being a straight upgrade.

Centy also suffers from some translation issues. ALttP has a pretty fleshed out story, at least as far as 16-bit action adventure games go. For a good chunk of Centy I was not sure why I was doing the things I was doing, I was only going and doing them because it was the next level in my path. I assume this is mostly because of the localization or perhaps text box constraints. It's pretty par for the course for the early 90s, but it stands out because of the direct comparison.

The final nail in the coffin for me is the dungeon design. Once again, on its own there isn't much to complain about with Centy's dungeon designs. I found them to be a little random feeling, and recovering health in them is almost entirely impossible without leaving (which resets a lot of the puzzles I believe). But compared to ALttP, Centy's dungeons and puzzles are simply barebones. There's no map, no multi-room puzzles, no solving a puzzle for a key in one room for a door on the other side of the dungeon. It's just barreling your way through and hitting switches or buttons as you come across them.

But I don't want to sound overly negative. Once again, although this game is obviously somewhere in the realm of Zelda-like games, it doesn't do it any favors to directly compare them. Judging Crusader of Centy purely on its own merits, you have a fun, top-down action adventure game with engaging combat and some pretty good platforming. The game is pretty big, but it usually does a good job of letting you know where to go next. It's got some pretty cool looking bosses, and towards the end I thought the story was pretty touching. It's a solid game and, for me at least, a true hidden gem. I'm glad I finally got a chance to play it.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
74. Recore

One of the last things I expected this game to be is a 3D Megaman X game, and I'm talking X7, I'm talking an actual 3D action platformer with some curious Megaman X vibe.
Joule's rifle has rapid fire shots and a charge shot, she can air dash, she can even double jump, and all these tricks are utilized in the various platforming sections in the game.
I really enjoyed the platforming sections of the game, the combat...not so much the farther I got in. It's a shame we may never get a sequel or successor to this kind of gameplay mechanic, but when the game wasn't annoying me with BS enemies or stupid open world elements, I was really enjoying playing it.

75. Syberia 2
7eecc58cbe88f2b1919a50c6c27ba30c.png

Finally got around to finishing up this sequel. For all intents and purposes, this definately felt like it concluded the story for Kate Walker.
The game felt really slow to play through due to Kate taking AT LEAST 10 seconds to move across screens, and sometimes I'd forget getting an item so I'd have to backtrack through mutliple screens to get what I was missing. While the pre-rendered backgrounds are beautiful, it's hard to recommend this game due to its slow and needing to carefully move the cursor on a specific location when investigating to find the items needed to progress. However, if one is a big fan of Graphic Adventure/Point n Click games, this might be worth looking into, esp. since it was among the few notable games of the genre from the 2000s.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD

52 Down!

52Master.png

• SaGa Scarlet Grace - First SaGa game I have played. While its not my favorite RPG of all time, it has easily top 3 gameplay in an RPG I have ever played. Its a simple concept, but manipulating turns with SaGa's structure to XP/moves leads to such an addicting game.

• Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - I had played 1&2 when I was younger, then the series went rated M so I could never play Chaos Theory. Saved it for #52 and its been worth the wait 16 years later. Gameplay is smoothed out leading to a greater experience from start to finish.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
MAIN THREAD

52 Down!

52Master.png

• SaGa Scarlet Grace - First SaGa game I have played. While its not my favorite RPG of all time, it has easily top 3 gameplay in an RPG I have ever played. Its a simple concept, but manipulating turns with SaGa's structure to XP/moves leads to such an addicting game.

• Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - I had played 1&2 when I was younger, then the series went rated M so I could never play Chaos Theory. Saved it for #52 and its been worth the wait 16 years later. Gameplay is smoothed out leading to a greater experience from start to finish.
Congrats!

Astroroom

Aug 19, 2020
MAIN THREAD

52 Down!

52Master.png

How difficult did you find Scarlet Grace? I'm pretty curious about SaGa, but I've always been intimidated by the conversation about how impenetrable and difficult it could be. ] enjoy tough rpgs, but was it super obtuse to the point where it required outside guides and whatnot?

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post
header.jpg

23. Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Mostly enjoyable sequel. I liked basically every stage except Air Fortress. I actually had to look up where to go in Air Fortress and then managed to time out after beating the boss. Awesome. Pretty sure I did this on hard mode as I found no chaos emeralds and therefore didn't have the super Saiyan mode to help. Despite some real frustration at the end I had a good time with this.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
How difficult did you find Scarlet Grace? I'm pretty curious about SaGa, but I've always been intimidated by the conversation about how impenetrable and difficult it could be. ] enjoy tough rpgs, but was it super obtuse to the point where it required outside guides and whatnot?

I didn't find it to bad, and no guides needed to beat. I did ask for a pointer around the last boss, so good to save right before that which it tells you just in case you need to grind a little. The main story wasn't anything great, but side quest are so short(in a good way) you typically want to see ending for each one you start. Throughout the game you really don't ever need to grind for levels, really just if you want more materials or refresh life points.

There is a tips menu I read through which was pretty extensive. It does a good job explaining mostly everything (I had an extra question I had to look up around staffs).

At times it's actually easier than other RPGs. As long as your character doesn't die, there is no penalty going down to 1 health in a battle as everyone's health is revived afterwards. Even if your character dies in battle, they have what's called Life Points so you can have them for a few times before they need to sit in sidelines for few battles (and after opening hours I had a ton of party members for A,B and even C team to switch around. Even if you go down, you will probably earn extra health points...etc so no battle is wasted. You get materials, which you can and should use to upgrade your characters equipment after every battle.

There are no "Bosh is now level 37", instead you have weapon levels and skill levels. Weapon levels essentially always go up and whatever you start a character with, just keep them using it. As weapon level increases it unlocks skills.

There is no mana,pp...etc, you get a number of actions to use across all your characters each turn, so you can do whatever skill you want. The more you use an action, the better skill level it can become (max 3) and each level it cost less actions to perform it.

Finally there is formations which I didn't play around with. During battle though you and the enemy are on line for turns. Essentially you want to get (You, Baddie, You) and kill the bad person to cause an extra attack. Then on the next turn those characters also have a minus against there skills action cost (was 5, now 1) so you can exploit extra attack and highest damage attacks for 2 turns. Your skills can help manipulate order for when your character attacks in the row (backwards & forwards) to help with above.

I am going to try some of the other SaGa games soon, doing a run through Final Fantasy 2 at moment which I dropped previously but picked back up after playing Scarlet Grace as it makes more sense now.

Hope that helps!

nacimento

Oct 27, 2017
KWmoc5O.jpg

15. Persona 5 Royal (PS4/PS5) | 13th July - 139hrs | ★★★★★

Certainly not the right game to play when participating in such a challenge. But it doesn't matter, since Persona 5 Royal is the best game I played this year so far by some distance. It is also one of the best games I played bar none. The battle system and classic SMT fusion bonanza are great, the cast is fun and the game just oozes with style. It even edges out Persona 4 Golden, another masterpiece, for me. It just works as a perfect package, brilliantly blending the day-to-day simulation with the battle parts. It truly towers above the vast majority of RPGs, and games in general.

capsule_616x353.jpg

16. The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero (PC) | 24th July - 71.5hrs | ★★★★½

The first game of the Crossbell arc keeps up the well-known Trails quality. The Special Support Squad is a great main cast, even if protagonist Lloyd Bannings is a little too much Mr. Perfect (more than Rean Schwarzer in CS I and II, imo). The game is just a blast to play and discovering Crossbell and its denizens is great. The game did feel a little bit like odd-job the game and the overarching plot wasn't the strongest in the series. In the wider Trails series, I'd rank it above Trails in the Sky 3rd but below the first two Trails in the Sky and the first two Trails of Cold Steel. Kudos to the Geofront fan localization as well, it was excellent and it feltas if the game had been officially localized.

Main Post

Astroroom

Aug 19, 2020
I didn't find it to bad, and no guides needed to beat. I did ask for a pointer around the last boss, so good to save right before that which it tells you just in case you need to grind a little. The main story wasn't anything great, but side quest are so short(in a good way) you typically want to see ending for each one you start. Throughout the game you really don't ever need to grind for levels, really just if you want more materials or refresh life points.

There is a tips menu I read through which was pretty extensive. It does a good job explaining mostly everything (I had an extra question I had to look up around staffs).

At times it's actually easier than other RPGs. As long as your character doesn't die, there is no penalty going down to 1 health in a battle as everyone's health is revived afterwards. Even if your character dies in battle, they have what's called Life Points so you can have them for a few times before they need to sit in sidelines for few battles (and after opening hours I had a ton of party members for A,B and even C team to switch around. Even if you go down, you will probably earn extra health points...etc so no battle is wasted. You get materials, which you can and should use to upgrade your characters equipment after every battle.

There are no "Bosh is now level 37", instead you have weapon levels and skill levels. Weapon levels essentially always go up and whatever you start a character with, just keep them using it. As weapon level increases it unlocks skills.

There is no mana,pp...etc, you get a number of actions to use across all your characters each turn, so you can do whatever skill you want. The more you use an action, the better skill level it can become (max 3) and each level it cost less actions to perform it.

Finally there is formations which I didn't play around with. During battle though you and the enemy are on line for turns. Essentially you want to get (You, Baddie, You) and kill the bad person to cause an extra attack. Then on the next turn those characters also have a minus against there skills action cost (was 5, now 1) so you can exploit extra attack and highest damage attacks for 2 turns. Your skills can help manipulate order for when your character attacks in the row (backwards & forwards) to help with above.

I am going to try some of the other SaGa games soon, doing a run through Final Fantasy 2 at moment which I dropped previously but picked back up after playing Scarlet Grace as it makes more sense now.

Hope that helps!
Sounds super interesting, thanks for the detailed post! Will definitely give it a try when I have the time.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
ss_f3cdf9d2fc1ad626686fb73331755df233978ac0.1920x1080.jpg

Main Post

25. Arid | ★★★☆☆

Arid is a free student game available on Steam. It is something of a survival game, where you have crashed your airplane in the desert and must now struggle to survive. Par for the course, you have to manage food, water, general well-being, and an HP meter. What Arid does that's unique is task you with managing sun exposure, forcing you to take breaks in the shade or else suffer sun damage. In addition to this unique wrinkle, rather than being an open-world sandbox like most survival games, Arid is a linear adventure that has you navigating a series of open environments in order to escape the desert.

As you progress through the game, you find various shelters in which you can take refuge. Within a shelter there can be a number of features such as a water filter for filtering dirty water, a campfire for cooking food, a crafting bench, a bed, and a trap for catching food. However most shelters do not have all of these features, and you cannot craft these structures, so the game forces you to bounce around the area to take care of your needs. Furthermore, most of these structures are damaged when you first discover a shelter. Weight management is pretty strict in Arid, so you don't usually have a bunch of extra repair materials in your pockets. This means you must decide to scout the environment for repair materials, and it also means you must be judicious in which structures you decide to repair and which you decide to skip.

While the game has all the trappings of a survival game, it is also half puzzle game. As you explore these open environments, you will usually find the path forward obstructed by something or another which must be overcome via crafting. To craft the solution, you must scout the environment to find the pieces for whatever you need. Generally, if the game requires you to craft a pick axe to proceed, the game will make it pretty difficult to find the components to craft the pick axe. This is the puzzle element I'm referring to. Especially in the second half of the game, where it requires more and more steps and components to craft whatever tool or item you need. What elevates these roadblocks above being boring, mindless chores is the pressure to work quickly. There is usually only enough resources to survive in a given area for so long, and if you overstay your welcome you may find yourself short on food or water.

As a far of open-world survival games, I would have enjoyed Arid more if the focus was more on player creativity and player agency. As it is (a free, student made game that's pretty well made), I find it hard to really complain about this though. The game is cool. There's more to it than I've written about here, because I don't want to spoil everything. There's a story about the environments you're traveling through, and the people who used to live there. If you stripped out the survival mechanics you could probably call this a Walking Simulator, because you're moving through the environment, learning about what happened in this place. For the most part of the story content is voiced, but I still found it to be pretty compelling and I was interested to figure out just what happened before I arrived.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
42: Cobra Kai: The Karate Kid Saga Continues. End: 7/25/2021. (2 out of 5)

A thoroughly mediocre game tying into an actually excellent Karate Kid series. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post

-------

10-12. Grand Theft Auto IV: The Complete Edition - 4 hours
Even tho Rockstar removed GFWL and SecuROM from this game, don't expect any miracles from GTA 4 on PC. This port is still a hot mess that is held together by duct tape, even that game-breaking QTE glitch in the final mission wasn't fixed. What we've got instead is Rockstar's own always-online launcher and removed online features like multiplayer modes and leaderboards. And even without all those technical issues, there are many questionable design choices that I can't stand in this game. The worst thing about GTA 4 is how it tries to force you to play its story missions in a specific way, it's often overly scripted and has one of the most ridiculous fail states I've ever seen. Most of my attempts to experiment with level design literally broke the entire game, I've experienced the weirdest glitches and even crashes just because I didn't play along with the developer's plan for the mission. And the lack of checkpoints in the original game turned it into torture for me, replaying the same boring scripted sequences from which you can't deviate in any way was really frustrating. DLCs were slightly better in some regards, but overall, GTA 4 was a huge disappointment for me, and the remaining tech issues of the PC version only added up to my frustration with it. I can talk about this game literally for hours, so if any of you by chance would be interested to hear more of my thoughts about GTA 4, feel free to check out my 1-hour review on it - https://youtu.be/F4kkYL9WRFw

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Final_Fantasy_XIV%2C_A_Realm_Reborn_box_cover.jpg

30. Final Fantasy XIV (8/10) 7/27/21
Great game and was fun to return for a few days but I've had my fill for now. Personally have no real goals or social reasons to stick with it. Doubt I'll tune in for the new expansion but its always enjoyable to run around in Eorza. If I had a group worth loggin in to chat with maybe but for now it was just a nice visit.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
OIP.jyAco6FQKGMtvhgsh9QloQHaHa

Main Post

26. Disney's Magical Quest 2 Starring Mickey and Minnie | ★★★☆☆

If you've played Magical Quest 1 on SNES, you know exactly what to expect. I was blown away at how perfectly this game stands as a sequel to Magical Quest on SNES, despite MQ1 coming out over a decade earlier. While grabbing boxart and doing a little research for Magical Quest 2, I learned that Magical Quest 1 was actually remade for GBA prior to the release of MQ2. That really helps explain why this game feels like such a direct sequel to MQ1.

Magical Quest 2 is great. It's got the same beautiful art I'd expect from the first game. Costume changes are back. Level design is fun. The reason why the game is a 3 out of 5 for me is because of the GBA's screen. Due to the GBA having a lower resolution than the SNES, Mickie takes up a largers portion of the screen in this game. You have a lot less time to react to enemies. There were a few times when I was so frustrated I almost quit, but the game is thankfully very forgiving with its lives/continue system. It also feels weirdly short. The game is just six stages, and it only takes a few hours to beat. By the time I had fully settled in it was already over.

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
31 | A Hat in Time
PC | July 27 | 12 hrs | 4/5
TS3qR78.png

Really fun platformer! The game has its own charm and sense of humor. It doesn't take itself too seriously and there isn't a big lesson thrown your way. There were hilarious moments that caught me off guard (in a really good way). I loved the bright environments and the enemies in each world were unique. The design in the final level was boring, which is a shame. It was difficult to see your path at times since the color scheme was red on red.

Loved the double jump and lunge to reach wide jumps. The hats have fun abilities. I wanted more badges for gameplay or cosmetic. I had lots of useless gems with nothing to spend it on. This game actually utilizes CHECKPOINTS. I have played many games this year that either don't have checkpoints or have them waaaay before you needed it. A Hat in Time will save your spot in a level if you die over and over. It was incredibly helpful.

I'm pleasantly surprised the boss fights were fun and enjoyable. I have played other platforms with abysmal fighting and A Hat in Time knocked them away.

My biggest pet peeve is the camera. There are levels with lots of enclosed rooms and I would be frustrated not being able to see anything but a wall. The Y button (or whatever you're using to play) only allows you to look up. I need full control of my camera for a platformer. (Or I will fall to my death because my view is extremely limited.) There were times of fixed camera views but they also weren't helpful.

Main Post

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Forgot to add these back in March/April

final-fantasy-xv-royal-edition-551881.1.jpg

31. Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition (6/10) 3/something/21
Forgot I beat this and did the DLC finally. Played on original release with none of the dlc stuff/additions and was curious to see if it made the game better. There are some nice fixes and additions but I still don't particularly like this game. A lot of the added things were annoyingly obscure to do/unlock as well. A lot of my complaints with the game remain and probably made me hate the game more than I did before honestly lol. Could +4 this by adding the DLC as separate finishes but eh. Will have to remember it if I don't get close by December haha.

7zooBvhK4xUBRZFldDtsa9P4IoFqXvk2.png

32. Final Fantasy XV Comrades (3/10) 3/something/21
A multiplayer game focused on the wildly unfun combat of XV with added grinding. Geeze. Game was a chore even while cheating and never felt fun at all. I know it has its dedicated people but a lot of the same issues are compounded here by making things grindy or hp sponges. Got credits and instantly deleted it. Cheating let me go point to point but I can't freaking imagine how long this would take without it.

81jdR6t2MnL._SX342_.jpg

33. Marvel's Avengers (3/10) (story 7/10) 8/1/21
Finally got to play thanks to the free weekend. I was actually going to buy it right before it was announced to have this event. Its.... so just OKAY in every sense. I enjoyed the story bits. It has plenty of neat big budget moments and the ending was fun. Theres a lot of good stuff and ideas here. I'm assuming the Black Panther stuff coming next will continue the trend.

Everything else in this game though is a mess. It's way more stable than the beta last year which is great but it has a HUGE amount of small ass nonsense quirks, bugs, or just design decisions that are fighting against themselves at any time that it made it a chore to play. A combat system that relies of dodges but also has attacks coming from EVERYWHERE at all times, indicators that can't be noticed because there is so much else going on, combat that makes more sense after everything unlocks is absolutely the worst way to do anything etc. etc. etc. Nothing here has any cohesion in a satisfying way but you can see some of the ideas in their first draft form in the game. My time with the game got aggressively more frustrating the more I tried to get into it. I finished the story and Kate's which I struggled to finish, and just had to put it down. So much of the general gameplay just pissed me off. Also I never got any multiplayer to work. Glad I saved myself money on this one. Also perpetually monotone sad Bruce Banner was the most energy sapping thing I've experienced in game. Not a single quip or anything. Play into the character sure but holy shit. And its still buggy. Not as bad as before but there are still audio and visual glitches all over. I had a cutscene have no audio AND it turned off the subtitles which I had on the entire time before. Just nonsense.

I honestly think I hate video games for a while now.

capsule_616x353.jpg

34. Ori and the Blind Forest (7/10) 8/5/21
I don't like platformers in general and I've been trying to fix that with more easy ones/that have really neat artstyles. Hoooboy this game is not easy. I've been weening myself onto the genre with stuff like Mario and Yoshi, but this kinda set me back a bit. It's a great game and I like that it asks you to play the heck out of it to finish but it was too much for me with all the spikes and instant deaths. If they had a version/mode with that stuff toned down I'd be into it more. I used cheats after a while just to finish it and not worry about energy so I could keep saving. It's weird that I'd love to play the sequel but I think I'll just watch a playthrough, something I've never done with a game. I'll keep trying the baby mode platformers like Mario 3D World and Yoshi's Crafted World thank you.

Last edited:

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
R.07a6d66206802cd6b2f89fadc2b210e8

Main Post

27. Survival Kids | ★★☆☆

Survival Kids is a survival game for GBC. After surviving a ship wreck and washing up on a beach, you must endeavor to survive and eventually escape the island. To the ends of surviving, you must monitor your HP, hunter, thirst, and sleep. It's a cute little game with a pretty chill-out vibe.

However, despite the title, the survival stats, and the aesthetic, in practice Survival Kids feels more like an adventure game with a side hustle. The primary action is always hunting for the next item or destination. It's a linear game with always just one goal (although this is not explicitly communicated to the player), so you often find yourself at a dead end until you figure out what to do next. The crafting ingredients you find on the island feel more like puzzle pieces, especially since they spawn in set locations and don't respawn until you use what you've picked up.

Speaking of items foraged from the wild, they can be combined to craft various items. You start with a knife, but before too long you have to figure out how to craft things like an axe and a bow. Unfortunately, crafting is very trial and error. There aren't that many things to craft, but on the list are a number of (as far as I can tell) dummy items that don't actually serve a purpose. I actually like the inclusion of non-essential items, but it would be nice if they served a purpose such as bolstering morale or comfort. The trial and error nature of crafting, plus the fact that it's not always obvious what you should be working on next, means certain parts of the game can be pretty frustrating.

Survival Kids more than anything is a product of its time and technology. The elements that are required for a good survival game wasn't possible on a Game Boy Color, so instead we got this game. Perhaps I placed unfair and unreasonable expectations on it. For what it is, it's a pretty fun chill-out game with some definite head-scratching moments. I'm a firm no on guides and FAQs, but this is one game where I'd tell anyone who is interested in playing it to keep a guide handy. Don't follow it too closely, but if you start feeling frustrated, use it. The How Long to Beat for Survival Kids is ~4 hours, it took me closer to 15 or 20. A guide I reviewed before writing this described the steps and pacing to beat the game in 12 days, it took me something like 77 days (and I definitely Googled a few things a long the way). In a larger-scoped game, getting stuck like that might not even really be noticible, or the player may not mind because they are working on some diversion. In this game, everything grinds to a screeching halt and you just spend day after day combing the area of the island you can and making every possible crafting combination in your inventory until you can find whatever you've missed.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
43: Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair. End: 7/28/2021. (4.5 out of 5)

This is one of the best 2D platformers ever made. A true return to form for many on this game's development team. And the "Impossible Lair" proved that it was no joke.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
35) Far Cry 3
I missed most games from the PS360Wii gen at the time of release so just now got around to playing it. As word-of-mouth states, it's a typical Ubisoft game, but I like them. Since FC4 was my first game, it will hold a special place in my heart and I will be one of the few that like it more than this one. I still enjoyed this enough to get the platinum trophy

36) Batman (NES)
Wow, this game was hard......really, really hard. A lot of people have this on their "best of NES" lists, but even as a Batman fanboy, I didn't think it was that great. It's a solid action platformer, but there was just something about it, including maddening difficulty, that kept it from being great IMO.

37) Arrow Flash
A solid Genesis shmup. It's fun to play, but doesn't offer much more that what many other shmups from that era offer. The mechanic of switching back and forth between ship mode and mech mode added a wrinkle, but wasn't game-changing.

38) A Hat in Time
This game is a major love-letter to classic 3D Mario games. I thoroughly enjoy this and highly recommend it for fans of 3D Mario. (and if you play on playstation, it's an easy platinum to boot ;)

39) Contra
Everyone knows this game. I love it in all of it's glory

40) Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land
I never played Gameboy back in the day and am now getting into it. This was a really fun game with surprising mechanics and depth for a GB game. Thoroughly enjoyed it and a good play for fans of 8-bit platformers

41) Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
I like the two previous Ratchet games I played (the OG then the PS4 reboot), but didn't think as much of them as others do. That said, I really enjoyed this game a lot. The use of DualSense in this game is the best I've seen (felt) outside of AstroBot - I really hope more developers use it as it subtly adds a lot to gameplay. This is a beautiful game as well and so smooth.

42) Cotton Reboot
Fun cute-em-up. Actually, a really, really fun cute-em-up. Any fans of the shmup/cute-em-up genre should pic this up as it's a blast to play. If you are interested in the genre, but are worried about the difficulty, this is a good one to test the waters in as it's very accessible. (and did I mention fun?)

Currently Playing:
Axiom Verge
Monster Hunter Stories
Skyward Sword HD
Returnal

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
19. A Hat In Time - 28/07/2021

Despite the jank that comes from being ambitious on an indie game budget, A Hat In Time is really, really good at mining its Super Mario 64/Banjo-Kazooie collectathon maps for meaty, twitchy platforming challenges, and while it does get a little finicky bouncing between items, skills, wall jumps and your grappling hook, it never stops being fun. It's probably the most acrobatic platformer I've played.

What really sold me on the game was its humour. There's this genuinely charming cynicism to the whole game where just about every character is a cutthroat hardass out to get one over everyone else, and that includes the protagonist who only ever gets involved to get her Time Pieces back. There's this one part in the final boss where the Snatcher, possibly the game's biggest asshole, snarks about how the final villain's (who is the only major character who isn't out to be a jerk for no reason, but then becomes a tyrant near the end of the game) plan is "authoritarian", and joins everyone else in taking them down because as much as everyone around him as a dick, none of them act like they're better than the other.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
76. Tail Concerto
tumblr_nu5rmqyzb01roqda3o1_400.gif

In preparation for Fuga, I decided to go through this game and it was a pleasant experience. The game isn't too long and it's a 3D Action Adventure game; you face off against various cat mooks who can be in mini tanks or blimps and once they are vulnerable, you press the action button to catch and apprehend them. All in all it is a simple game and doesn't overstay it's welcome. My one issue was figuring out how to trigger the next location, which just required speaking with NPCs in the first and 3rd areas at certain points.
There is a plot involving ancient relics, but I wasn't too concerned with the plot all that much. Being a PSOne game, there was the issue of controls and camera, but thankfully I wasn't screwed over by them too much.
A real hidden gem this one, if you can get the chance to play it, give it a try if you like the gameplay style of Megaman Legends at least, and it might surprise you.

77. Syberia 3
Syberia_3_Keyart_Landscape.jpg

OK. What the **** is this control scheme? How do you mess up the use of just the mouse to play a graphic adventure game? I've not struggled with a pnc game with such terrible path finding when clicking on a location to move to like this.
Syberia 3 at its core has elements of a good story, if not good game, but the execution left much much much to be desired. While Syberia 2 had a good ending there was the matter of Kate Walker getting back to civilization, and I feel like fi this game didn't go down the route of having a darker aspect to its plot via the military and the doctor, it would've been better naritvely. One of the nice elements of Syberia 1 and 2 is the lack of dread and immediate danger giving it a comforting trek across the snowy european terrain.
There really isn't much good I can say about Syberia 3 beyond the character models being nicely detailed but that's it. If one has been teetering over whether to experience syberia 3 following the first two games, I would advise against it, just stick with the first 2 games.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
A number of shorter games for me this month means that overall it's been nicely productive, and at a total of 55 games beaten that's the challenge goal reached for the year! Wozzer

Master post here

header.jpg

44. Alwa's Awakening (Switch) | 1 July 2021
Completed with 100% item collection and map exploration. An NES-styled 'Metroidvania', Alwa's Awakening is mechanically fairly straightforward but with a surprisingly punishing difficulty. Progression comes from the acquisition of three magic powers - block creation, a rising bubble and a lightning projectile, the first two of which have a single upgrade available, which often need to be used in quite creative ways. This puzzle-based platforming is nicely satisfying throughout, just occasionally leaning into frustrating territory where precision is demanded, though the controls are tight to match this demand. Overall the game is quite short, probably around 7-8 hours for a first run, unguided, but 99 upgrade 'orbs' scattered across the game world ensure some longevity, as do a couple of demanding achievements (implemented on all platforms except Switch).

A final word goes to the soundtrack, perfectly capturing the game's retro vibe with a rather infectious theme.

header.jpg

45. Wordle 3 (PC - Steam) | 2 July 2021
All puzzles completed. More of the same word-puzzle formula from the previous two games, though with Wordle 3 we get a nice step-up in UI polish. Difficulty is about on par with Wordle 2 - once again there's one category that's excessively obscure (flowers) - and overall this is a decent puzzle experience.

header.jpg

46. Wordle 4 (PC - Steam) | 4 July 2021
All puzzles completed. Disappointing after the previous three games, Wordle 4 drops the difficulty level significantly, with most puzzles becoming fairly trivial due to alphabetised categories and small icon clues for all words. The final puzzle sets do away with both of these issues, albeit only with relatively short words - but the problem then becomes that the game only allows for a single solution, without any flexibility to accommodate alternatives that should be perfectly valid, becoming frustrating as a result. Background music is arguably a nice touch as further UI polish, but it really needs the ability to toggle this and/or a volume slider. Overall, I can't really recommend this.

header.jpg

47. The Last Door: Season 2 - Collector's Edition (PC - Steam) | 4 July 2021
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. Despite not being a particular fan of the previous game, I felt that I ought to give [i[The Last Door: Season 2[/i] a go while the momentum was there. Here, the focus is very much on psychological horror themes right from the start, but there's arguably a better-developed story throughout the four episodes, a credit to the developers in improving the game with this release. Sound design is once again strong, but my main gripe with the first game returns, in that the overly blocky graphics detract from gameplay - it's often difficult to discern key objects, making puzzles less approachable than they ought to be, with inevitable frustration.

header.jpg

48. Little Misfortune (PC - Steam) | 7 July 2021
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. 'Weird' is my overall reaction to Little Misfortune. While ostensibly a point-and-click adventure game, there's *very* little in the way of traditional puzzle-solving and instead the focus here is on storytelling with occasional binary choices, influencing proceedings to varying extent. That story is quite well done, but again, very weird - while our protagonist, Little Misfortune herself, is portrayed as a fairly naive child with a positive view of the world, events around her take a very dark tone, and a disembodied presence, "The Voice", follows her throughout, serving double-duty as narrator. Production values are high and the voice-acting is excellent, making for a polished package, but the game's short length and dark tone mean that it's very much not going to be for everyone.

header.jpg

49. Detective Grimoire (PC - Steam) | 21 July 2021
Completed with 100% in-game progress and 100% of achievements unlocked. An earlier game from the developer of the excellent Tangle Tower, Detective Grimoire similarly follows the eponymous detective, with very similar key mechanics. Gameplay focuses on the investigation of a recent murder in a swamp, with the supposed prime suspect being a mysterious swap 'creature'. Regardless of that theme, the game is delightfully light-hearted throughout, communicated mainly through witty dialogue exchanges with various characters, each being in the area for their own reasons. Ultimately, the investigatory interviews of each character can be thoroughly 'mined' for information by clicking through options in sequence and/or trial-and-error, but they remain enjoyable. There are occasionally some slightly *too* well-hidden item in the Ace Attorney-style scene investigations, but fortunately this was for at most two instances throughout the game, and quite possibly I'd overlooked something that would have made it obvious!

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart.png

50. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5) | 22 July 2021
Platinum trophy earned. Both normal and challenge mode playthroughs completed with 100% in-game progression and fully levelled/upgraded weapons. A real technical showpiece for the PS5, Rift Apart is a triumphant return for the mascot platforming/combat series. Insomnaic are once again on top form with their creation of a diverse and enjoyably wacky arsenal for Ratchet and new character Rivet to wield and the platforming - in either 30fps 'fidelity' or locked 60fps 'performance' mode - is smooth, responsive and satisfying. The dimension-hopping story is suitably fun and well-paced, with brilliant characterisation for the returning and new protagonists, as well as various supporting cast, and typically high production values for the associated cut-scenes. The rift mechanic perhaps isn't as well-used as it could have been and the absence of skill points is a bit of a shame (trophies only partially make up for this), but these are very minor criticisms of an overall excellent package.

header.jpg

51. Alba: A Wildlife Adventure (Xbox One) | 25 July 2021
100% of achievements unlocked (1,000G), all animals discovered and all tasks completed. A fairly short, but very charming game that feels essentially like a cross between Pokémon Snap and A Short Hike, Alba: A Wildlife Adventure follows a young child (the titular Alba) who, while on an island holiday with her grandparents, finds herself determined determined to save the island's nature reserve from destruction. She does this by travelling around the island (on foot), fulfilling requests of the various inhabitants - often requiring the photographing of certain animals - in order to gain their signatures on a petition. The island fauna (mostly birds), though, are the real stars of the show, moving and behaving very believably, with accompanying realistic sound design - to create a delightful world that's wonderful to relax in for the few hours that Alba's quest takes to see through.

86cfc9be81af8855f4f203538fbcf07232d4d7b6.jpg

52. Crusader of Centy (Mega Drive) | 29 July 2021
Completed with all animal companions gathered and all Apples of Life collected.
Frequently compared favourably with the gold standard of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Crusader of Centy is a Mega Drive exclusive overhead perspective action RPG. As a huge fan of the Zelda franchise, I've been putting off playing this for far too long! However, while I had a definitely had a good time with Crusader of Centy, I feel that it falls somewhat short of Link to the Past's yardstick.

Rather than abilities coming from the collection of items, here the protagonist's skillset is extended by gathering animal companions, two of which can be 'equipped' at once. However, their effect is typically somewhat passive, primarily serving to alter/enhance existing core skills rather than provide an entirely different form of interaction; for example, one of the primary abilities - and puzzle-solving mechanics - is sword throwing, and an animal might extend the range, allow in-flight control of the sword's path or make it ricochet off walls. Overall the result is that the range of puzzle design that's available is quite limited, as are the available approaches to combat The inclusion of jumping as a core ability is great, though, frequently used to good effect to make navigation in itself a little more puzzle-like.

The story here is worth a mention, and while I'll avoid specifics that could be spoilers, the overall direction is fairly original. In particular, that it starts to explore ethical issues centred around the relationship between humans and monsters in parts of its closing stages is commendable for its time. Absent the comparison to A Link to the Past, Crusader of Centy stands up to this day as a very enjoyable and worthwhile addition to the exclusive catalogue for the Mega Drive, arguably a 'hidden gem' that more people ought to make time for.

header.jpg

53. Samsara Room (PC - Steam) | 29 July 2021
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. Another point-and-click puzzle game in the well-established style of Rusty Lake, with Samsara Room this remake of a very early example of the formula once again exhibits the unsettling atmosphere and imagery that we've now come to expect from the studio. The puzzles for the most part are well-designed - perhaps a little more simplistic than the core Rusty Lake and Cube Escape series - and fit nicely around the Buddhist concept of Samsara as a central theme.

header.jpg

54. Panzer Dragoon: Remake (Switch) | 29 July 2021
Complete playthrough on normal difficulty. My first time with this series, Panzer Dragoon: Remake is an enjoyable but very short on-rails 3D shooter. The core gameplay style is very similar to that of the Star Fox series, of which I'm a great fan, but feels quite barebones in comparison - the short length means that we don't see that much in the way of enemy variety and there's nothing in the way of strategic combo scoring mechanics, for example. While there's a basic narrative stringing the missions together - and probably some greater depth that I've not explored - overall the presentation lacks wonderful sense of personality from the in-flight banter between Star Fox's wingmen. Fun while it lasts, and enough that I may try to seek out some of the series' later instalments at some point, but I can't really see myself coming back to this instalment for replays.

header.jpg

55. Samorost 1 (PC - Steam) | 31 July 2021
Samorost is a very simple, extremely short point-and-click puzzle game, the first game from Amanita Design. Players guide a small gnome as he seeks to divert an asteroid on a collision course with his home planet, solving each puzzle scene with a series of single-object interactions. There's a charming artistic style here, with lifelike backdrops over which a handful of interactable objects are superimposed and the puzzles are logical and enjoyable to solve, but with only six scenes the game is over all too quickly, taking a matter of only 20 minutes or so to reach the end.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
So July is done and gone. Main post with all months here.

Completed Games (42/52)

July
38. Space Jam: A New Legacy The Game - Xbox Series X - 34 minutes
39. Halo Reach - Xbox Series X - 5 hours, 5 minutes
40. Bloodroots - Xbox Series X - 5 hours, 54 minutes
41. Last Stop - Xbox Series X - 6 hours, 9 minutes
42. Omno - Xbox Series X - 2 hours, 38 minutes

It was an all Game Pass month, at least as far as finishing games (well, Space Jam was not technically a Game Pass game, but I got it early with Game Pass). August doesn't have a whole lot for me, but I am finishing some titles up from the later part of July.

Completed Games (49/52)

43. Neo: The World Ends With You - Switch - 30 hours
44. Dodgeball Academia - Xbox Series X - 8 hours, 39 minutes
45. Death's Door - Xbox Series X - 9 hours, 15 minutes
46. Boyfriend Dungeon - Xbox Series X - 4 hours, 17 minutes
47. 12 Minutes - Xbox Series X - 3 hours, 21 minutes
48. Ghost of Tsushima: Ike Island - PS5 - 4 hours
49. Psychonauts 2 - Xbox Series X - 11 hours, 57 minutes

Last edited:

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
AI-The-Somnium-Files_2019_04-12-19_021.jpg

36) A.I.: The Somnium Files(PS4) 7/7-7/15 PLATNIUM TROPHY

Just platinumed A.I.: The Somnium Files and wow what a journey. I heard some praise for the game and only knew of it to be a visual novel with a little bit of detective work attached to it so given that I've played all of the Danganronpa entries, and Ace Attorney trilogy, I sort of knew this game would be up my alley. What got me to bite on the game was the announcement of the game's sequel, which is on track to be released in Mid 2022(A.I.: The Somnium Files nirVANA or something like that).

Just wow. What a game. I am still a relative noobie when it comes to visual novels themselves. These are the following visual novels(Or to some purists of the genre, adventure visual novels, it's important to note that!) that I have experienced & finished off the top:

Steins;Gate
Ace Attorney Trilogy
All 4 Danganronpa games(Well Ultra Despair Girls is a dungeon crawler bullet gun game that is meshed with heavy story)
1 of the endings of 999
Doki Doki Literature Club
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim(It does have RTS though but game is mostly story)
Paradise Killer
Student Transfer

So by no means am I an expert when it comes to this genre but I have some similar games in my history enough to hold this one to high enough standards, and I gotta say the game is as good as those if not better than some. I still think Danganronpa 1 & 2 hold a special place in my heart given it was my first true dive into the genre but this game gives both a pure run for it's money with the twists, characters and gameplay(Neither are the best part of these games btw).

The main protagonist in this game is hilarious. Probably along side Phoenix Wright for my favorite protagonist in this genre. This game is hilarious just in general. Be forewarned, there are so many perverted puns and jokes and tons of ridiculousness in this game as more times than not, the game does not take itself seriously if at all. But the game does a great balance of being jokeish vs being serious where the game doesn't fall into being a pure cesspool in itself. The main character is just that, he is enough of a weeb/clown but is still a good hearted detective who is trying to make a difference and solve the multiple murders throughout the game. Date(Pronounced Dah-Tay) is so good, absolutely loved the character but what good is a main character without his side characters?

A.I. nails that too! You've got great female characters, you've got some LGBTQ+ ones who have some relevance to the major plot, you have even very side characters who may not mean much to the overall story but are great nevertheless with the wacky and funny dialogue that they're in. One major credit to this game is the 30+ hour journey you go on, this game is almost fully dubbed with voice acting which is absolutely insane! Means the budget for this game is not your typical visual novel! And the voice acting(Well in English!) was very good, really enjoyed the job that was done by a lot of the actors and actresses here. I didn't expect that at all, I expected what you get in Danganronpa, only the important parts had voice acting in it with the rest of the game being read only. This just threw that book out the window and set the standard for a mid-high budget visual novel now for me.

Much like with Ace Attorney series or Danganronpa, a visual novel is as good as it's cast of characters and they are easily the selling point of the game. What else sells the game? The story of course, the backbone of any game from this genre. Full of twists & turns, the game really hit me and connected to me as a gamer with so many different areas discussed such as a loss of parent or stillness of someone feeling despaired with their career or seeing a character die in a different route/branch. So many gut punches, so many discoveries. The branch/route system breaks off into about 5 or 6 different endings, all get locked or stop until you uncover a hidden plot twist or introduction of character from a different one so the game tells you as the player that you have to go really explore through all of it to truly advance the story to the absolute climax of the game. It leaves you salivating a little to want to finish that said route but you also "get it" when you go to play that route after wrapping up some others because the concept and theory of why this character did this is fully explained. So many in's and out's get tied up by playing through each little branch and I feel the game really takes you on a pure rollercoaster ride, which is as complimentary as I can be for a visual novel.

Along with the characters, you know what else makes a great visual novel? The story, duh! Which this game is crazy, without giving away much, basically your playing a detective who is tasked to find out why random people are getting murdered throughout town and you need to try and put a stop to it with absolutely little to no information provided. You have to puzzle together what is going on. We are talking very gruesome murders like body parts dismembered, the antagonist is no joke! It's a simple story just reading what I said but really it's not! That's where this game does it so well that it takes you for a ride. You think you got everything solved but the game throws a curveball straight at you and tells you "Now what?". Easily the best thing this game does.

What I appreciate about the story is how digestible it is for a gamer. Unlike Steins;Gate which I liked...............the final 1/3 of it, A.I.: The Somnium Files does not get too deep into science and thus it is a real refreshing experience with how much it recaps the content being discussed and the way the game break downs these different theories & dialogue by making examples out of everyday things like breaking an egg and discussing the yolk, egg shell & egg white and how it is the equivalent to what is going on during a scene. Every time you resume after stopping, the game gives you picture by picture quick recap so you feel like you remember what's going on, so it really hits it on home that the game does not want you to get fully lost towards it's plot which is appreciated. Not to say the game is dumbing anything down, because it certainly isn't...........but it's just really digestible and you get a great picture of who is who and doing what when this could have gone south at so many points. The game offers up a fast forward prompt that the game got from 999(Made by the same creator, that's going to be a revisit in the near future which how great this game was for me) where if your trophy hunting, like I was, you can skip through everything and get to where you want to go to wrap it all up. I would have never got the platinum trophy without this godsend of a feature so please keep this up visual novels! In addition you can rest your game whenever, wherever which plenty of these visual novels do and you can go to whatever branch you want that isn't locked out so you have a lot of control on what you want to do in this game, which is fantastic.

Outside of the game crashing twice on me and the game for the final 5 hours suffering from slowdown and FPS dip where dialogue boxes aren't popping up as quick as they were(Played this on PS4), the only drawback outside of the pervert & sexual stuff(Which isn't much and is done in gest more than anything honestly but it's there but nothing too vulgar like nudity) is the gameplay. It's just ehhhhhhhhhhh, I used a guide at some points, especially for trophy hunting as there is a six minute timer in these SYNCs that you do during the story that you have to get inside the mind of someone who is hiding a truth or might be the killer or is being uncooperative in your investigation. In this, you interact with various items throughout the brain memory and again you have a 360 second(six minutes Date!) timer that can go down as you interact with items, as you want to avoid getting to 0 seconds all the while clearing the path to fully understand why the character is doing what they're doing to stop you from finding out the true killer. Throughout the game, you find little items called TIMIEs which can save your clock from going down(30 second for a hole drop can become 10 seconds or 3 seconds or even 1 second by using one of these) so you can stock these up if you get them after an interaction and save them when you need them, because you will need them or else it's death via timeout. In addition, sadly there are death TIMIEs that 2x or 3x the time drop, so that 30 second hole drop becomes 60 or even 90(gasp!) second drop off from your 360 second timer which we don't like. It's not bad gameplay wise but to me, I just personally more of that story.

But it's like 85% visual novel and like 15% gameplay so it's totally worth going through it to get to the true climax of the game. The fact that I platinumed the game should tell you how much I really enjoyed myself with this one and the sequel is definitely going to be Day 1 now for me. I knew I would like this game but I didn't think it would take over my nightly sessions for like a week. The game has a nice art style too and the files and items you find lead to more lure content that you can read as well as early designs on a character which plenty of games do these days which is always appreciated.

It's just a really well done game altogether, it really got me thinking and feeling emotions for some parts of the game in addition to absolutely laughing out loud. For someone looking to get into this sort of genre, this is one of the games with an easy recommend. It even has easter eggs to some of the aforementioned games from Spike Chunsoft during one part! But yeah, what a great game.

space-jam-video-game-1-1-900x506.jpg

37) Space Jam: A New Legacy(XB1) 7/17

Yes the space jam sequel that supposedly has bombed that stars LeBron James, Bugs Bunny, Lola Bunny etc. has a game out on XBL(Not sure if it's Game Pass or Live) but it's free, it is supposedly quick to beat so I said "Why not?".

And thank god it was free because the game took 28 minutes to beat. Yes. 28 minutes.....to beat. The game even totaled that and I was stunned
:lol:
. I read this game runs maybe an hour..........well not even a half hour for me.

The game is a simple as heck beat em up so I won't go too crazy on discussing the game. Very simple 2D beat em up that plays similar to plenty of 90's beat em ups except no item throwing or pickups(That's the next game I discuss). You get to play as 3 characters, LeBron James(Yes the megastar NBA player), Lola Bunny or Bugs Bunny. Didn't try Bugs but I tried Lola first and then after I had to exit the game(Which I get to in a quick second as a negative of the game), I figured "How bad are they going to cater to LeBron in this game?" so I chose LBJ next. And no that's not Lyndon B. Johnson.

Both the characters I played with outside of catchphrases, and this random health draining power move that wipes out multiple enemies surrounding you, they play the same. What a surprise. The amount of times I heard LeBron say "OOOOOH WEEEEEEEE" would drive a man to pure insanity. I wish you could configure buttons around as I am still not too sure what I was pressing to active this power draining animation attack that takes down enemies all around you. Lola had a giant ACME anvil drop down on her and the enemies around her, LeBron had some sort of wizardry magic thing that I have absolutely zero clue what that is, maybe something to do with the new movie? No real combo moves, you press one button to attack, one button to jump/double jump and the ever important other button for a card/assist from a chosen Looney toons character. Think of these cards as powerups, from Granny being health drops(Which is great) to Wile E. Coyote being this smokescreen thing(That I never tried) to Yosemite Sam being item drops(Which I never tried) because honestly, why would you not want the health drop card to be chosen? It's free health! These card regenerate with enough damage put on enemies so it's practically a crutch for this game to use these cards that you start off with or are earned through story progression.

Very simple mechanics, again it's a free game, so I am not going into this expecting something wowing. The bosses are THE BROW(LeBron James teammate Anthony Davis who is never mentioned by name but cmon it looks like him but with wings), THE WHITE MAMBA(Play off of the late Kobe Bryant, LeBron's idol and friend and fellow Laker great) and the final boss which is a giant A.I. that Don Cheadle in the movie is. I am sure if the game was even a half hour longer, you'd have The Flash(Dwayne Wade) as a boss too.

Story is simple that your trying to stop the giant A.I. from taking over the world as he throws the same 3-4 enemies after you in this game, and yeah there were like 4-5 enemies that can be counted on one hand so the enemies feel very similar over time. You fight robotic frogs, robotic flamethrower dudes, generic robot enemies, generic robot enemies with arms and these robots who can catch your basketball(Which is the lone weapon you have as all 3 characters, a basketball that you can throw and charge throw shots at that outside of maybe long distance, doesn't serve much of a purpose). The jump kick attack basically wipes out enemies with low powered damage but the frame invincibility where it can wipe out enemies that try and swarm you. You come to learn the jump kick in beat em up games is OP, no different here.

You cannot save your game which I found out after turning the game off after going 15 minutes into the game to take a nap, so I get it..........the game isn't even a half hour long and is based off a retro beat em up style but still it's 2021! Not a big deal, it took me a whopping 15 minutes to get back to where I was with LeBron James character, maybe a little less given I knew what was going on. There's very few stage hazards, game is real bare bones.

This writeup took me longer to do than to beating the game so I end here. Game is free on the XBOX maybe via game pass, if you want to kill a half hour on this game, why not. Very basic beat em up.

th

38) Streets of Rage 4 DLC: Mr X's Nightmare(XB1) 7/18-7/19, 7/22, 7/24

Played the vanilla version of SOR4 last year, will more so talk about what this DLC has that separates itself from the vanilla SOR4. SOR4 is fantastic and must play either way but what comes in this DLC is:

4(Yes 4, the 4th is hidden we will get to that shortly) new characters, Shiva, Max(Two characters from the SOR trilogy) along with the newly introduced SOR4 character Estel Aguirre and the hidden character, Roo, the kickboxing Kangaroo from Streets of Rage 3 which can be unlocked by holding START+ATTACK BUTTON+UP for a couple of seconds on the selection screen(Had to look that up).

I will briefly explain each character, I finished campaign mode for all 3 characters on HARD mode(I tried so bad on Hardest got stuck on like Stage 4 with Max)

Shiva: Very fast, lone character of the 3 to have a double dash. His gimmick in SOR3 is that he doesn't need weapons because he is a weapon(He even paraphases saying that) so he doesn't pick up weapons due to his discipline of using his fists & feet only BUT he uses said weapon as a projectile by lifting and kicking them at enemies. This is both good and bad. Good that the items don't ever break but bad that the weapons don't ever break because enemies can pick them up and can overwhelm you when in packs. This happened in the Chinatown level, by far it was hardest due to this. He can triple jump with an up attack which is very dope and clutch in getting in and out of AOE attacks from bosses, he doesn't do insane amounts of damage but he compensates it with his speed. What sucks with him is a lack of juggling so I don't think he is perfect for trying to rack up combos like say Estelle is. His health draining attacks are really cool, he uses chi attacks which are concentrated energy in his kicks so he can do controlled somersault kicks among other cool features. Really cool stuff. His ultimate attack in the regular story when facing him as a boss is he summons duplicate copies of himself to try and kick your ass, surprisingly you don't get that. Instead you get a Geese Howard RISING A STORM finisher which if your familiar with King of Fighters/Fatal Fury it's basically a giant storm strike that covers your left and right. Except the storm looks like a phoenix attack in itself and nowhere near as insane looking!

Max: The wrestler of the series that everyone knows from Streets of Rage 2, Max is brainwashed in the campaign and is forced to fight you as a boss in the regular campaign but in this DLC, he is at your leisure and boy he hits like a truck. Seriously, he does like 3-4 shots and takes down regular enemies who have full health. To compensate this, he lacks speed and has a giant inability to get out of danger if you commit too much. His dropkicks in air are very necessary as it's his lone air attack but to also get you to enemies. You will often find when playing as Max as trying so hard to go after enemies who easily can outpace you when backing up or moving up and down the screen. Gets frustrating but when you get those hands on them, you need to may them pay because he is viscious. He has a catch slam where he picks up an enemies and throws him pretty friggin far. He also does thunder claps/BLUE KNUCKLE BOMB as his health draining attacks, along side some nasty lariats. He has a sick backwards suplex which causes lightning to crash on down upon impact. He is slow as all hell but the trade off is the damage output is insane and he can juggle you decently off the wall. His ultimate is a giant lightning strike to the ground that god help the enemies in front of that thing because it drives you high into the sky. I completely destroyed the Stage 11 boss in a combo that the enemy only got out of like twice, was hilarious. Easy S rank on that.

Estel: The new character, she was a bad guy turned good. She is police all the way and came to her senses after you beat her up twice and understands who the true villain is. She reminds me of Adam Hunter with some insanely fun juggles and combos, I had the most fun with her of the 3 characters. Max is the strongest, Shiva is the fastest and gives you leeway to get in and out of danger, Estel is pure juggling. I racked up a 100+ combo with her, her moves are very good for crowd control. In addition, she can chuck grenades and do flash bangs in addition to some of her aerial launch attacks. Her health draining attacks are basically grab shots where she runs at enemies, gets em down, and beats the shit out of them. I think there are different variations but it's basically grappling goodness. Her ultimate attack which she also did quite a lot in the story is a homage to Streets of Rage 1 and it's calling the SWAT team to fire salvo bazooka shots that can juggle and stop combos.

Roo: The secret character from Streets of Rage 3, I only played him in Survival Mode(Which is exclusive to the DLC) but he is insanely fun. He has some really fun attacks like the typical jabs and a spin attack he can do but his fun comes from his ultra attacks where he summons circus puppet henchman to help attack with him for a long duration until they die off or until you beat the level. Can get in a load of those minions, basically co-op without co-op. He is a sprite from SOR3 so he isn't redone like the other 3 but free character is free.

The other perk in this DLC is Survival Mode which is what the name states, you go through rounds and rounds of different levels that you have to survive and move on. You get different powerups such as a summoned minion or double jump or speed boost or lightning comes out of your attacks but also get decisions in which powerups to take and see different trade offs like combos do more damage but stand alone attacks do less due to a said powerup. I got to level 17 I believe before I succumbed. Each level throws off a gauntlet of enemies, nothing too obnoxious but it can get pretty tough. You do get a certain amount of health pickups but you need to use them wisely because the HP you have left you carry over to the next level. Each level takes 2-3 minutes most of the time so you go in and out of different scenarios with different enemies scattered. I got my taste with Roo and said it's cool with me. I can def. see how addictive that can get though.

For the 7 or so bucks I paid for the DLC, I found it to be pretty fun and the new characters are really good. The campaign being played 3x got a little redundant admittedly but to get achievements for finishing each is appreciated. I found playing through the campaign with all 3 that each character excels at a spot and each character makes life more difficult in a spot vs another character. Like Shiva not picking up items in a level that is littered with them made life hard, Max was tough catching Miss Y because she bounces all over the level in her boss fight and Estel due to lack of damage was a difficult fight when facing Boubon or Max who can tank or do super armor moves which ruins her juggling.

giphy.gif

39) Sonic Generations(PC) 7/25-7/28

Beat Sonic Generations, a game that came out about 10 or so years ago but something I finally got to play. To be honest, the Sonic series is something I have neglected quite a bit ever since adoring the 4 2D games that came out for the Sega Genesis ages ago. I blame my inability to play the Sega Saturn/Sega CD for why I fell off but I did end up replaying Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 a couple of years ago, which were both hit and miss for me. The 3D Sonics after that I have never touched but the last new Sonic I did play was the really good Sonic Mania 2D revival in addition to the revisits of Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles prior to. So while not a uber diehard Sonic fan, still a series I cherished really well as a kid. So how does a game like Sonic Generations which consists of gameplay of both 2D Sonic as well as 3D Sonic hold up? Rather well.

The 2D Sonic will always have a special place in my heart that the 3D one won't touch, the simplicity of the retro styled games was absolutely perfect for me. I always found 3D Sonic goes too fast and I found myself often clipping through segments to instant death, particularly the intro stage of Sonic Adventure 1 was a major culprit for that. All the levels of this game have two acts, one that features a 2D version of a stage and 3D version of a stage. For infamous stages like Green Hill Zone & Chemical Plant Zone for the 2D side, the game very much plays the same as it's stages origins. Same would go for City Escape for the 3D side in addition to other levels from various 3D games that I never played but surely diehard Sonic fans would recognize full and well. What this game does well is it offers different paths that ultimately lead you to the final goal. I do think that is really important to change it up a little bit so it encourages multiple runs in a said level to collect the red star collectibles which are used for optional music or art if you really want every little bit this game has to offer.

Story is simple enough, your friends get sucked into a vortex and it is on your to complete all stages to recover them. It was cool to see the two different versions of Sonic or Tails or even Robotnik/Eggman, both the 3D modern one and the 2D retro version. Music and remixes were really cool for the most part and the overall feel of the game really made this a pure delight for Sonic fans of new and old to play, still this game plays well, but it takes a whole lot to mess up Sonic(Which Sega to their credit, were on a roll of doing so). You get mini bosses with Silver The Hedgehog(ITS NO USE), Shadow the Hedgehog & Metal Sonic, so again this game is a pure smorgasbord of Sonic goodness.

The game has a skill set system that allows you to buy available skills that range from a higher speed boost which is vital to play fast in 3D mode to automatically getting an extra life to start a level among other goodies that reward you to getting those superb S's and A ranks per stage. This game also after beating a full act/level both times has optional side content of different objectives that range from racing your doppelganger to getting ____ rings before crossing the finish to facing your friends in a friendly contest around a stage. I can definitely see the appeal to doing all of this and I assume this will add on to the couple of hours the main story gives you.

Sadly, I didn't do a full completionist run of this game primarily not to the fault of the game but more so my experience of playing this game on Steam. I am not much of a PC gamer but this game was on sale for under 2 bucks so it was something that I just had to have! My issue often with this game was despite having a USB drive hookup with my XBOX ONE controller, that often Sonic would just stop and I have no control of him, which at certain points when it was happening, it would kill a run, which made certain long levels of the game nail biting to say the least. Often, the game would pause in itself and I would have to remove the USB and insert it back on, the problem though is the game randomly configures the buttons where jump is another button, spin dash is another button etc. When the game is heavily reliant on prompts needing to be hit, this became infuriating so often I would have to exit out of the game(Thank goodness for autosave) and reboot it. This wasn't the game's fault per say but it was def. something that soured my experience of the game. I looked online to see if this was reoccurring for others and yes it was indeed, sucks. Think there is a fix to it but to me, the game really isn't that long or demanding enough to go through all of that to do so.

This was the real breaker to me and it is a shame too because that's not on Sonic Generations, it was more so on Steam and my USB drive with XB1 controller not cooperating with me. It was fine with Jazz Jackrabbit 2 but I can't say I am much of a PC gamer so it's still uncharted waters overall for me here. If you can play this on a console or if you can get this working, this is a fantastic Sonic game. It isn't overwhelmingly hard and will be a trip down memory lane for the diehard fans yet still be a solid entry point because the gameplay is fast paced adrenaline, what you come to know from Sonic.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
July's pretty much done. Here's the damage:

20. Umurangi Generation Macro (PC, 2020) - 2:07 - July 3
21. PowerWash Simulator (PC Early Access, 2021) - 16:20 - July 3
22. Wolfenstein 3D (PC, 1992) - 8:55 - July 7
23. Monument Valley 2 (Android, 2017) - 1:46 - July 25
24. Euro Truck Simulator 2 (PC, 2012) - 27:56 - July 25
25. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5, 2021) - 15:34 - July 26
26. Overload (PC, 2018) - 2:48 (+9:45 in 2018) - July 30

Quite a bit of catch-up this month. ETS2 and PowerWash Simulator are obvious highlights for me; apparently I'm back to Simulator Summers now, especially since I've finally gotten around to installing Flight Simulator 2020. Ratchet & Clank was great, as expected, and Umurangi Generation Macro was a neat return to a game I liked, though it had its issues. Really the only games I had major issues with were Wolfenstein 3D, which is almost 30 years old so duh, and Overload, which is mostly a great game but really makes some poor decisions at the end as far as I'm concerned.

This brings me to my original goal of 26 games for the year, or one every two weeks. Everything from here on is gravy, and looking at the normal goal of 52 games, I'm really only a month's worth of games behind. I'd like to at least draw a line under A-Train before the year is over; my momentum with that game really stalled, and I think I'd like to complete the scenario I'm working on and then call it a day. I'm also thinking about playing Tales of Berseria before Arise comes out, but we have plenty of ti--sorry, I've been informed that actually it's coming out in less than two months? Uh.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Master Post
July 2021 update

43. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - 1st Zelda game I've finished! Used a guide after the 2nd dungeon as I was getting a bit lost lol. Enjoyed it as a whole. Not sure if I'll play Skyward Sword day 1, but I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.

44. Max Payne - Despite it's jankiness I really enjoyed this game. Loved the 80's action movie soundtrack, the comic book cutscenes and the bullet time shooting was also really good. The faces were kinda rough and the platforming sections were terrible, but as a whole its a great game and looking forward to playing the rest of the series eventually.

45. Alice: Madness Returns - This is one of those swimming in 7's games that I adore. Loved the character/level designs even if they were a bit on the long side. The game looked beautiful on the XSX. It's a shame we never got a 3rd game in the series.

46. Jade Empire - Glad I finally played this. Ended up loving it and I did not see it coming. Great characters (it is a Bioware game after all), story and music. The combat was a little on the easy side which some people won't like, but it's serviceable enough. Now I really have to bump up KOTOR on my backlog.

47. Final Fantasy VII Remake - Replayed the PS5 version of the game and I don't know what it was, but I ended up loving the game more then I did the first time and I really enjoyed it last year as well. Excited to see where Part 2 takes us.

48. MLB The Show 21 - Finally won the World Series with my RTTS character so I'm counting it as complete. Played a lot of Diamond Dynasty in addition to my RTTS character so I'm probably done with the game.

Currently playing 5 games so I should be able to hit 52 in August.

Palomitero

Jan 2, 2018
Barcelona
Main post here

July update

grfFoSq.jpg

17- Scarlet Nexus -33h- 4/5

Expected nothing, got an amazing JRPG with surprisingly good story and characters

Fun gameplay in form of action RPG, easy to understand but with a nice deep combo mechanics to play with and many options with your party members.

Characters & story the best parts of the game, expected an ultra cliché characters but it's one of its strong points. Especially in the FemaleMC route, the FemaleMC it's really unique, instead of the average happy and dumb maleMC we usually get in every JRPG. The party members are interesting too.

Another strong point it's the story, I got interested to know more from start to finish.

On the other hand, the map layout and OST it's mediocre at best. A shame for a JRPG.

A solid JRPG with gorgeous visuals and interesting story, I hope we get a sequel.

674cc3f302cf5748cba25b13c14e1f048abf42d8.gifv

18- FFXIV A realm reborn -24h- 4/5

Finally decided to try it out.

The base game it's supposed to be the weakest, but the characters and story it's already super good. In fact, the end-start of expansion was superb, like 50-60mins kino cut scenes with plotwist and epic moments. Looking forward to more.

Important to point out the OST, it's REALLY good.

Now playing:

-Persona 5 Strikers
-FF14 HeavensWard

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

July
32. Trails of Cold Steel 4 (PS5) | 4th July - 81hrs | 3/5 : Questions left unanswered, villains never get justice done to them, power of friendship. It annoys me so much and yet I'll probably keep playing the series just to see the end
33. Clawfish (PC) | 5th July - 0.5 hours | 4/5: Chill vibes, short game. I don't know why but it made me very comfortable, and I enjoyed it
34. Alba (PC) | 5th July - 2.5 hours | 4/5: Another short, comfortable game. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this, and trying to find all the animals on the island
35. Titan Chaser (PC) | 6th July - 2.5 hours | 1.5/5: So buggy and didn't control well. I really liked the premise of the game (finding large titans) but it was so boring and bad
36. Halo Reach (PC) | 7th July - 8 hours | 3/5: Part of the Master Chief Collection, best Halo so far because...no Flood. I hate the Flood.
37. Halo (PC) | 9th July - 8 hours | 3/5: Part of the Master Chief Collection, still holds up pretty well, but it introduced the Flood. I hate the Flood.
38. Scarlet Nexus (PS5) | 18th July - 34 hours | 3.5/5: I was surprised how much I enjoyed the combat in this game, I expected it to be a bit more mindless. The story was ok, the side quests weren't good, but everything else was pretty good and made me finish off both main characters' stories.
39. Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion (PC) | 23rd July - 1.5 hours | 2.5/5: It's a fine game, but it's very simple, lots of "find me this item" fetch quests as the main game design
40. Death's Door (PC) | 25th July - 10 hours | 4/5: Great game. While it could use a map and explain some things a bit better, the gameplay was fun, the exploration was fun, the soundtrack was great, and the art style was cool. Bit easy so not a long game either
41. Beasts of Maravilla Island (PC) | 31st July - 1 hour | 1.5/5: How not to make a Pokemon Snap clone.

On the Docket:
Pokemon Snap DLC
Halo 2

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
78. Monster Hunter World

Completed all main missions, and did them co-op. Getting used to the combat in this game is...difficult, but I can see the fun in just going on hunts and gathering materials to craft everything.

79. Death's Door
maxresdefault.jpg

Now this was a joyful surprise. Death's Door is an action adventure game in the vein of Ys or Legend of Zelda, you play as a Crow who is tasked with gathering 'giant souls' and must trek thourgh mystical lands to defeat the lords of each respective land and take their souls.
There are light puzzles, secrets and a nice sense of exploration. The combat is simple and boss fights were rather fun although bosses use very simple patterns. The soundtrack is superb as well. Strongly recommend it for fans of action adventure games.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
R.3aeec2c893da99d67630c243ca712c21

Main Post

28. Castlevania - Harmony of Dissonance | ★★★

Harmony of Dissonance is a childhood favorite of mine, but this is my first time playing it since it came out. It's a decent Metroidvania game but it's flaws are made more evident then ever since there are so many good games in the genre these days.

There's not much to say about the positive aspect of this game. Overall, it's about what you'd expect from a Metroidvania Castlevania. The music is good, the enemies are what you'd expect. The game uses L and R as a left and right slide, instead of just giving the player a backslide button, and I like it. It makes you feel very agile, although when you're on a platform that only has 6 inputs, using two of them for dash probably isn't the best call.

Each GBA Castlevania has a different take on combat. HoD uses allows you to combine elemental spell books with subweapons to create a multitude of new abilities. Up + B uses a subweapon, or if you have a spell book equipped it will cast a spell. Subweapons use hearts while spells use mana. You can change tombs or turn off the tomb by a combination of Up, Down, L, and R, allowing you some flexibility mid-combat without pausing. It's not as flashy as Circle of the Moon's tarot cards or Aria of Sorrow's soul steal, but it works well enough. Unfortunately, I found myself sticking to one subweapon for the entire game, only changing when I picked up a new weapon by accident. It's a system that, in my opinion, doesn't really encourage experimentation. It becomes very easy and comfortable to stick with the one combination that you like and use it exclusively.

The major hook of HoD is that there are two versions of Dracula's castle this time around. Castles A and B have identical floor plans, but the contents of each room can differ wildly. As a child I loved this design choice because it made me feel like I was getting so much more value out of my game. As an adult, I feel like I wasting my time as I constantly retread the same-but-different corridors. The game frequently places obstacles in your path, and requires you to travel to the same location in the other castle to destroy the obstacle. This is an interesting enough design, but its the implementation that leaves much to be desired. The save points and traversal points to move between castles A and B are few and far between. Encountering one of these roadblocks generally means you have to backtrack a good ways back to the nearest A-B portal, then hoof it over to the obstruction in the opposite castle, break it, and then travel back to the portal and again all the way back to the original obstruction point. Except it's rarely that clean because the game kinda expects you to just bounce around and figure it out.

That brings me to my next issue. Metroidvanias are essentially games about exploration, but one generally expects the level design to quietly guide the player in the correct direction. Hopefully this ideal manifests creatively, although sometimes you just get a fat objective waypoint (something I'm not very fond of). However, HoD doesn't seem very concerned one way or the other. It's a game that just wants you to roll through every possible room and figure it out. There are quite a few locked doors in this game, but unless I missed it, the doors do not offer any clue as to what you need to open them. This is not a case where you're going to remember that you need to come back once you get the thing that lets you open green doors, or blow up certain blocks. The same with those obstructions I mentioned that require you to destroy them in one castle to open the way in the other castle. You start finding those obstructions pretty early, but you don't get the ability to destroy them until way later on. Once you do, there is no indication whether the blockade was in Castle A or Castle B. You just have to walk out there, check it out, and if you're in the wrong castle you simply have a reason to backtrack yet again.

Lastly, I have to mention the bosses. This is a series known for having some pretty cool bosses, and also for having a certain stable of bosses that generally show up (in addition to whatever newcomers there are). Yet in HoD, almost all of the bosses are just larger versions of regular enemies. Sometimes I didn't even notice if the music changed. And the placement of boss rooms feels pretty random at times. But worst of all is that many bosses don't even give you a cool reward for finishing. They just stand there to slow your progress some. The whole configuration leads to an experience that feels sort of random and pointless.

And actually, random and pointless kind of describes the overall game design for me with this one. I don't play games with blinders on, constantly rushing towards the finish line. I also don't play games to complete everything. Generally, I do a little of this and little of that, but try to not stray too far from the main path. And yet, despite not wanting to explore the entire castle and find every secret, I ended with a map completion rate of something like 195% (out of 200%, although I assume it goes a little higher than 200% to possibly account for secrets). Because the game doesn't give any sort of direction or indication of where to go next, I simply had to explore every room there was until I found the path forward. And since I was backtracking so much, I eventually hit all the little rooms I had missed along the way. That's not really how I want to experience these games. I want to explore because I want to, and if I don't bother with extra carricular exploration there should be a lot of dark spots on the map. And that's just not how this game is designed at all.

HoD has got a lot of issues, but it's still a good game. I'd likely put it in the top 25 of all GBA games. It's a solid entry in one of my favorite series of all time, even if it belongs near the bottom of that list. For fans of the genre, I think it's worth playing. But this is not true greatness. It's more like an enjoyable, if sometimes tedius, diversion from greatness.

Griffin

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka
MAIN POST

29. Metroid Fusion (GBA) - ★★★☆☆

dJeRrkU.png

I was in a Metroid mood this month, for reasons that should be obvious. I have a vague recollection of playing Fusion back in the day, but never finished it. It's definitely very linear compared to other Metroid games and puts a lot more focus on the story. While it's nowhere near as bad as Other M, I could definitely do without having "Adam" heavily restricting where I could go. There are some creepy moments with the SA-X that stalks the halls of the space station, but I was expecting it to lean more into the horror angle. The big disappointment was that despite getting a new suit, most of Samus' moves are exactly the same as in Super Metroid, so what little exploration there was in Fusion was all too familiar. It does seem like it opens up more in repeat playthroughs, but I'm not itching to fight those annoying bosses again. It's totally fine, but games in the Metroid mold are so ubiquitous these days that I didn't think Fusion was anything special.

30. Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA) - ★★★★☆

eNgDPKP.gif

Zero Mission, on the other hand, I enjoyed a lot. It has the same tight controls as Fusion, but in a much better paced and more open package. It seems like the first Metroid game designed around the assumption that players would find ways to sequence break and speed through the game as quickly as possible, so there's many multiple endings. Even though I spent less time with it than Fusion, I found more of the hidden energy tanks and missiles; it was much more enjoyable to hunt down hidden items when the puzzles that are more than just "bomb every surface". It's a great modernisation of the original Metroid, even if the arrangements of Hip Tanaka's excellent soundtrack aren't all winners. The one black spot was the game's final area, where Samus has to infiltrate a space pirate base while almost completely defenceless in her Zero Suit. Though finally retrieving the fully-powered suit and blasting through all the pirates feels amazing, this part doesn't really fit with the rest of the game and feels tacked on right at the end. I don't want to deal with stealth segments in a Metroid game, so we'll see how Dread turns out.

31. Tales of Eternia (PSP) - ★★★★★

NtuNq4Y.png

Despite the console's reputation as an RPG powerhouse, I've had a hard time enjoying a lot of PS1 RPGs. They're often too slow-paced, full of long loading screens and reliant on flashy FMVs to distract from a lack of substance. So with that in mind, I absolutely adored Tales of Eternia.

Although battles take place on a 2D plane, the developers nailed the flow of combat in this instalment, making it fun to create combos and use powerful magic spells that don't pause the action. Customising your spellcasters by swapping around elemental spirits is interesting and there are a lot of options to control the formation and the behaviour of your AI companions (or just play cooperatively).

The story was surprisingly strong, starting out as a fairly conventional journey to find elemental creatures but it takes some unexpected turns after reaching the desolate world of Celestia. It's very focused on its four main characters, giving a lot of chances for them to chill out and open up to each other while camping.
It has a very upbeat tone for the most part, but it eventually explores how most of the cast are driven by guilt or past trauma, which I wasn't expecting at all. Regardless of the tone, Eternia is wildly creative, with many strange sequences like driving a train, scoffing sushi and exploring the ocean floor in submarines. The dungeon designs are incredibly original too, ranging from puzzle-filled shrines to a giant board game. And somehow it crams this all into a package that took me just over 20 hours to play through (though there are a lot of optional sidequests to explore). I feel like a lot of Tales fans overlook this one, but it's absolutely a high point for the series.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
44: Batman: Arkham Knight. End: 8/4/2021. (3.5 out of 5)

For the most part, this is still the same Arkham combat that has worked across multiple games. The core combat refined over the course of the series. What I'm trying to say is the stuff that works REALLY works. And the stuff that doesn't REALLY doesn't. I'm talking about the Batmobile. Some of the Batmobile combat, particularly late game, is absolutely not fun. And it drags down the game as a whole.

The story is also a bit jumbled. Batman's friends and family get abducted one time too many over the course of the game. It's very frustrating from a narrative perspective to see this happen over and over again.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20. Fuga: Melodies of Steel - 04/08/2021

Fuga is exactly what I want out of a good indie game: something I am only getting from this specific creative vision, driven entirely by the desire to make the game they wanted within the limitations that come from making a passion project.

It's a game that's all heart, and I hope it manages to live up to the developer's expectations because I really want more of it and I want Tail Concerto and Solatorobo, the other two games of the Little Tail Bronx series, to be re-released.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Disco-Elysium-The-Final-Cut-Free-Download-1200x675.jpg

Main Post

29. Disco Elysium - The Final Cut | ★★★★★

What can be said about Disco Elysium that hasn't already been said? It's one of the best games I've played in years, and it easily earns a place on my top 10 games list. You can feel the ending coming a few hours out, and as I did, I was overcome with melancholy. I didn't want this game to end, and it was almost like I was beginning to mourn the end of my time with it. I haven't felt that way about a game for over a decade. Maybe two.

As I write this the credits are rolling. My sense of loss has been replaced with overwhelming love for this game. In the eleventh hour, when most games are busy wrapping everything up and turning the lights off, Disco Elysium continues to work hard to please. The conclusion of
the main quest and the cryptid hunt quest, plus the way the final conversation goes after the boat ride back to the mainland
left me feeling incredible excitement. I'm sure things could have worked out differently, but as it happened it was a dream come true for me. Especially
the fact that Kim might come to work at Precinct 41? And the ending definitely leaves room for sequels!

I hope ZA/UM makes Disco Elysium 2, but it wouldn't surprise me if a team this skilled and inspired wanted to to do something new. The thought that I might not ever get to play a game like this again leaves me feeling pretty cold. I take some comfort in knowing that I'll do a replay of Disco Elysium some day, when it's not so fresh in my mind. There are some things I'd like to do differently, and I'd like to try playing as more of an Action Cop. Whatever is next for ZA/UM, I'll be there on day one. They've earned all of my respect and admiration for what they've managed to pull off here.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
45: Katamari Damacy REROLL. End: 8/7/2021. (3.5 out of 5)

Over the years I had heard how Katamari was one of the quirkiest video game series around. After experiencing this rerelease, I can certainly agree with that assessment. The game's short length and repetitive gameplay were issues in my eyes. And I found the Virgo level to be more than a little uncomfortable.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
OIP.ndzSmMbMO12D7Rx6JQ5_SgHaDd

Main Post

30. AM2R | ★★★★☆

AM2R, or Another Metroid 2 Remake, is a fan-remake of Metroid II for the original Gameboy. Although Metroid II is completely playable today (thanks in no small part to the fact that you don't have to gaze upon it through the hazy green blur that was the original Gameboy's screen), it's pretty basic by today's standards. I loved the game as a kid, but I tried to play it a few years ago and decided it wasn't worth my time. Thankfully, AM2R goes far beyond simply being a slavish recreation of Metroid II, and instead adds a lot of the flair and dressing established by Super Metroid and carried forth by Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission. The game looks and feels like a modern Super Metroid (or perhaps Fusion/Zero Mission; it's been too long since I've played the GBA games to compare). Simply put, it's amazing what the developers have pulled off here.

Judging the game on its own merits, it feels right at home in the 2D Metroid pantheon. For the most part, this feels like something Nintendo would have made back when they still employed pixel artists. Samus looks great, as does SR388 and its many inhabiting creatures. The controls felt great, especially after unlocking high jump. The map is pretty much what I'd expect from Metroid, although this game bothers to give different regions different colors, which helps the player understand their progress. The Chozo are well represented, and actually feel a little flushed out here. The music was mostly pretty good, although there some tracks are definitely better than others. Lastly, the menus feel very professional and home with the other entries in the series.

As strong as the package is, there are some weak areas. Some of the worst parts of AM2R are probably the elements inherited from the original Metroid II, but it's been so long since I've played that game that I can't say for certain.

First of all, AM2R's bosses are pretty boring. You have to fight over 50 metroids to clear the game, and most of these feel like little more than a sub-boss. There are a few proper bosses, but only one or two come anywhere close to the pantheon created by Super Metroid. Instead of cool bosses, it's metroid after metroid until eventually you start fighting the more evolved varients. Unfortunately, because the game makes you fight each type of metroid several times, by the end they all just end up feeling repetitive and uninspired. The first time I fought an omega metroid I was pretty impressed, almost sweating. After a few battles you know the score and it's routine to mow them down.

Second is the overall structure of the game. The biggest disappointment for me with Metroid Fusion was how the game chops the world up into contained zones. AM2R does something very similar, and I'm not crazy about it. If you were to take a glance at a map of AM2R, it is immediately evident how the world was designed. The game world consists of small regions, probably 25~50% as big as an average Super Metroid region. All of the regions are then arranged in a ring formation, with a single cave linking them all together in a linear fashion. This design at least serves a purpose in the game: the connecting tunnel is filled with lava; when you kill all of the metroids in your current region, an earthquake is triggered and enough of the lava drains to allow safe passage to the next region. I can understand why some people would like this design, but I was less than thrilled that they decided to give the game such a linear structure. The upside is you never get very lost and there's never any reason to backtrack to older regions, unless you want to go back and hunt for missile packs or whatever. Personally, I like the part of a Metroidvania where you get an item and have to remember where you can use it. AM2R doesn't really do that. This linear approach works well enough but I can't help but feel that more open designs could have been better. Actually, as a result of this structure, the only time you see something you can't get to or a block you can't destroy is if you are literally rooms away from getting that powerup. The game ulitmately telegraphs what reward you're getting next, whether intentional or not, and I didn't like that. It's much more exciting to get the ability to open green doors, for example, and then look back at your map and see where some green doors are and then go trek over there and see what's hiding inside.

The final bad thing I have to mention is the final boss fight. It's fine, and the inspiriation for what they did is plain as day. However, I thought the final boss was too simple to go on for that many steps. It was the only time I died in the game, and it took me three attempts to get it right. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but the boss fight is so simple that it doesn't really feel worth the time. Also why isn't there a save right before the boss? Instead, I have to take a long ass walk each time, killing nine more metroids along the way. And then there's the song. The song of the boss of the game is some simple, mechanical track that sounds like it belongs in the background of a factory level or something. There's nothing epic or exciting about it. That is not how you a final boss fight should sound.

So that's it. It's a fun game and amazing remake with some definite flaws. But whatever stupid and ultimately petty criticisms I have today, the creators should be applauded for what they managed to pull off. AM2R is a better 2D Metroid game than Nintendo has made in nearly 20 years. Not to mention these heroes have the integrity to actually use pixel art instead of doing another 2.5D Metroid game.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
It's time for some makeup posts. These are games I beat earlier in the year that I never posted about.

Main Post

a3638446706_10.jpg

2. Hades | ★★★★★

Unquestionably one of the best games I've played all year. The controls are precise, the action is intense but never unreadable. The story is exactly what it should be: interesting and functional, but not enough to get bogged down in. Of course you can't talk about Hades (or anything Supergiant) without mentioning the fantastic voice work and beautiful art.

My only complaint is a lack of biome and enemy diversity. For a game that wants you to keep coming back after you beat it, there's a surprising lack of gameplay reasons to do so.

R.75dc2fd3fe0ecc3caa9a51394156a293

3. The Secret Island of Dr. Quandary | ★★★☆☆

The Secret Island of Dr. Quandary is a game I remember fondly from my childhood. It was one of the random games you could find on one or two of the computers in my elementary school's computer lab. It was too hard for me to get very far as a kid. The game has always been in the back of my mind, but always been out of reach of actually playing it. That is, until I realized you could play it on various gaming archival sites.

The Secret Island of Dr. Quandary begins with you wandering into a fair and playing a carnival game. Upon winning, you are given a doll as a prize. Unfortunately, it turns out the doll is cursed. Your consiousness is sucked inside the doll, and the doll is transported to Dr Quandary's island. The titular doctor-wizard then tasks you with exploring his island to find and solve a number of puzzles. Each puzzle rewards you with an ingredient, and some/most/all of the ingredients can later be used to brew a potion that will free you from your prison.

It's a educational kids game, like Oregon Trail or Carmen Sandiago. It's not surprising that the game is really just okay. Some of the puzzles are incredibly easy while some are surprisingly tricky, and a lot of them are math based. There are only 10~15 puzzles to complete before it's over, and a few of those repeat. And although the game has you exploring an island, it becomes clear pretty quickly that the map is using a simple grid-based layout that makes getting around simple and boring.

But The Secret Island of Dr. Quandary has all of that 80s/90s DOS weirdness that I love. And even though the game was a simple affair, it was amazing to finally get to play through this game that I've been thinking about for 30 years.

valheim-title.jpg

4. Valheim | ★★★★★

Of all the openworld survivalcraft games I've played (and it's been a lot), Valheim is easily the most inspired of them, as well as the best of the lot. By this point everyone knows what Valheim is. It's surprising, runaway success was such a nice story to hear about in the beginning of the year, and it was every bit deserved.

I love nearly everything about this game. The setting is incredible. I love the art style. The game features some of the best forests I've ever seen in a video game, and it's all done procedurally. And then there's chopping down trees; enough cannot be said about chopping down trees. Also, it's so nice to play a game like this that actually bothers with formal progress structures. I love basebuilding, farming ingredients, and crafting cool stuff as much as the next guy, but it's incredibly refreshing to reach the end of one of these instead of just petering out after hundreds of hours.

Any negative remarks I have for the game have to do with wanting more. Basebuilding is great as is, but there needs to be more pieces. Combat is solid, but there need to be more enemy types. There aren't enough things in the world to farm and craft. More biomes would be great, especially since you set sail for new lands repeatedly, only to frequently set foot on fairly similar shores. There aren't enough things to craft. There aren't enough things to find. And I need more of that vendor NPC.

But all of that is fine, because Valheim in its current form is still one of the best openworld survivalcraft games I've ever played. And Valheim is in early access, and we know that more is coming. I can't wait. After 200 hours, I'm ready to start again fresh and play through the whole thing again.

R.b5f716afc99f1c53005f124230d0ca8a

5. Generation Zero
| ★★★☆☆

I bought Generation Zero to play co-op with my friends, because it looks like exactly the kind of game we're into. We play a lot of openworld survival craft games. After putting 400 hours into 7 Days to Die earlier this year, and then another 200 hours into Valheim, we were looking for something new (but clearly not too new). Unfortunately, despite having a lot of the same trappings, Generation Zero doesn't really fit into that box.

Generation Zero puts you in a fairly open world and tasks you with searching for a bunch of military bunkers to try to...save the day? I'm going to be honest, I didn't really pay attention to the story. And now I'm writing this up four months after finishing the game, so who knows how it goes? The gist is that, in alternate history 1980s Sweden, there is a robot force that's supposed to protect the country from invaders but has gone apeshit and is now killing the beautiful Swede population. To stop the bots and win the day, you and your fellow teenagers must seek out these hidden military bunkers and press some buttons or something.

It's an openworld game with a bog standard quest system. As you roam across the beautiful Swedish countryside, you'll make time to loot every house the game will let you inside of, always hoping to find a better weapon than your friends. Bots roam the landscape as well, so whenever your paths cross you'll have a little battle and earn a little exp, which can be pumped into a pretty simply skill tree. Eventually the robots get bigger and the figts get more difficult. Unfortunately there's just not that much variety, and eventually you find yourself killing the same robots over and over again.

What's worse than all of that is the bunkers. You have to find 6 or 8 bunkers over the course of the game, and each one is a maze of identical hallways. Somewhere inside is a command room to find, but that's not all. Even though these bunkers are mostly empty, you'll want to spend 20 minutes to comb over the entire fucking big dumb thing since you might find a better weapon. Similarly, each time you come to a little village, you'll want to spend 10 or 20 minutes running through every empty house in hopes that MAYBE you can find a weapon, and MAYBE it will be better than what you have (it probably isn't).

And that's the game. You travel around a big landmass looking for bunkers and completing a few sidequests along the way. There are safehouses to find and some basic crafting, but the inventory management system is kind of a mess so I couldn't really bother getting into it. I enjoyed the game as a sort of mindless FPS to play with some buddies, but it wasn't great. It certainly wasn't as good as I was expecting.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
a-way-out-1497125438431.jpg

Main Post

31. A Way Out | ★★★★☆

As a video game, A Way Out is pretty middle of the road. The game is comprised of short gameplay segments bookended with story cutscenes. Each gameplay segment tends to revolve around one or two mechanics, such as sneaking, searching, or solving a few simple environmental puzzles. Towards the second half of the game, the gameplay opens up a little and A Way Out becomes something a little more similar to other modern games, but it always remains in its own category.

Where A Way Out succeeds is in its storytelling. This is essentially a 6 hour prison break/revenge movie. I would estimate that something like 50% of this game is story cutscene, and all of it is acted very well (accents break down sometimes, but I always found it kind of endearing). The two player characters aren't just avatars or stand-ins, these are real characters that me and my buddy couldn't help but role play while we played through the game. You get to know these men, how they think, and what motivates them. I wasn't rooting to win or beat the game, I was rooting for these men to find the lives they were searching for.

A Way Out feels like it was created primarily to tell this story, as opposed to being a fun and engaging video game. The game is comprised of short motifs because it wants to play out the way a movie would, not because it is necessarily the best structure for a video game to take. I'm typically a gameplay first sort of guy, but I applaud A Way Out for having a goal and a vision, and successfully accomplishing both. It's not the kind of game you daydream about playing, but the story, characters, and ending are certain to stick with me for awhile.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
46: Dodgeball Academia. End: 8/10/2021. (4 out of 5)

I don't usually go for sports game, but I enjoyed my time with this one. Solid gameplay, an amusing script, and a likable cast made this an enjoyable one for me.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
T3h5aafdjR8k7GJAG82832De.png

35. Astro Bot's Playroom (8/10) 8/7/21
Finally finished this despite having a PS5 since launch. It was really easy going and charming for someone like me. Also the variety of references was extremely fun to notice and find. Enjoyable and doesn't overstay its welcome. Did think the individual stages were a little long though but ended before it gets too out of control.

220px-God_of_War_4_cover.jpg

36. God of War (2017) (7/10) 8/12/21
I don't know why but I tend to get to the big named first party titles late. The journey through the previous trilogy had a lot of neat moments and bosses but I found myself just doing them out of hype. Same here. I loved the story and characters. Some of the performances here were really great. Despite only being a tiny amount of weapons though I enjoyed the combat as well. I just wish this game had the same level of cool bosses as the previous entries. The whole adventure kinda felt like it was missing something as a result. Also its super long winded near the end. There were 7 more McGuffin items/reasons to go somewhere again near the end. It got me rolling my eyes in the last 3-5 hours.

Also I'm not a fan of "checklist" side quests. It was probably my least favorite part of the game and why its getting a 7 instead of a 9. There is a lot to do and see which is nice but after doing many quests once I passed on them. ALSO the damn chests. So many had some kind of gimmick to open them. It was from "neat gotta find these runes in several ways" to "holy shit, I gotta find these runes again!?" and I stopped doing them just like the side quests. It really brought it down for me.

Don't think I'll dip into Ragnarok when it comes out. Big map/open world and all the side quests, no thanks. Sucks because I like so much of what they did, but the checklist aspects of it really took me out.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ok so I have done a terrible job of keep up with this list so here we go.

10. Mass Effect: Andromeda (PC) | 15th Mar- 15hrs | 2.5/5
220px-Mass_Effect_Andromeda_cover.jpeg

-Big Mass Effect fan who never got around to playing through this game for one reason or another. I wanted to play this before the trilogy came out. Overall I think there is a good game in there that needed another year of work probably. It didn't help that Origin kept crashing on me.

11. Final Fantasy V Advance (GBA) | 12th Apr- 30 hrs | 5/5
s-l500.jpg

-In my quest to defeat at least one version of all Final Fantasy main games, I moved to V. I will admit that I came in with low expectations after being let down by IV on PSP. Boy was I wrong. This game was awesome on all accounts. The job system, music, characters, they were all fantastic. When the pixel remasters eventually come to consoles I will not hesitate to replay this game.

12. Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5) | 15th Apr- 8 hrs| 4/5
HcLcfeQBXd2RiQaCeWQDCIFN.jpg

-A Christmas gift that I finally got around to playing. I enjoyed it for what it was. I only bothered with the main campaign, which was fun albeit short. Hopefully Spidy 2 takes the PS5 to new heights.

13. Captain Commando (Switch) | 17th Apr- 1 hr | 3.5/5
0e9c80f3bcbf6368f869a138f420d93b2dde9bf32efb5e508c0e57028798da0e.jpg

-So I was board one night and decided to turn this bundle on. After messing around for a few minutes I found someone online playing Captain Commando. Played the campaign a couple of times and had fun.

14. Spyro: Ripto's Revenge (Switch) | 27th Apr- 10 hrs | 4/5
latest

-Liked this a little more than the original.

15. Atrial Chain (Switch) | 10th May- 20 hrs | 4.5/5
524feeea-2078-43a2-99c5-7b29a74e2178.__CR0,0,1464,600_PT0_SX1464_V1___.jpg

-Pretty cool game from Platinum. There is plenty of replayability for those going for 100%. Too bad I am a one and done guy lol.

16. Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Switch) | 13th May- 8 hrs | 4/5
d13b8.png

-Good Finish to the trilogy

17. Mass Effect (PS5) | 15th May- 20 hrs | 5/5
18. Mass Effect 2 (PS5) | 17th May- 35 hrs | 5/5
19. Mass Effect 3 (PS5) | 23th May- 30 hrs | 4.5/5
me-featured-image-mele-keyart-logo.jpg.adapt.crop191x100.1200w.jpg

-I could go on all day about hoe amazing this trilogy is. All I will say is that I am glad to have this set of games on a modern console that I will continue to revisit for years to come. <3

20. Fable (XSS) | 5th June- 12 hrs | 3/5
capsule_616x353.jpg

-I swore I would never buy an Xbox, but I always wanted to try the Fable franchise. Well now I have my chance thanks to Gamepass. I had a nice time playing this but I am more interested in Fable 2.

21. Ori and the Blind Forest (XSS) | 18th June- 11 hrs | 5/5
capsule_616x353.jpg

-This game is definitely in the running for my GOTY for games released in past years. This was a beautiful experience from start to end. Exploring the map felt great and the story put me to tears. I will be playing the other one soon.

22. A Hat in Time (Switch) | 30th June- 10 hrs | 3.5/5
capsule_616x353.jpg

-This game actually played much better than I thought it would. A little too janky for my liking but nothing was unbearable/too punishing. I'd play another game from this same group.

23. Halo: Combat Evolved (XSS) | 1st July- 9 hrs | 4/5

-Finally after 20 years I managed to dip my toes into this series. I ended up playing this online coop with my brother and had a blast messing around. I'm looking forward to trying out the rest of the series before Infinite comes out.

24. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch) | 24th July- 47 hrs | 4.5/5
fire_emblem_three_houses_dimitri_artwork.jpeg

-So after several suggestions I made Dimitri my first Three Houses playthrough. I chickened out and played iin casual mode so I pretty much mowed through the competition. Somepoint soon I'll do a second run, probably with Edlegard next.

25. Bowser's Fury (Switch) | 12th Apr- 7 hrs | 4/5
super-mario-3d-world-bowsers-fury.jpg

-Managed to borrow a copy for a couple of nights to play this. I was a nice, somewhat different take on 3D Mario. I hope Nintendo doesn't abandon the idea altogether.

26. Final Fantasy IX (PS2) | 31st July- 41 hrs | 5/5
home-background.jpg

- The last of the PS1 trilogy. This is most definitely a game an older era of gaming with the classic setting, magic, and story. I'm glad I was able to play through all three games in their original form.

27. The Great Ace Attorney: Adventures (Switch) | 11th Aug- 32 hrs | 4/5
latest

-Finished the first game last night. It was nice to just put the game on autoplay and let the dialogue run. Last case was looooooooong.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
21. Dodgeball Academia - 14/08/2021

Dodgeball Academia is the best kind of game; the one that seems tailor made exactly to my tastes. A confluence of RPGs, sports stories and shonen anime all blended together to create a game that I really wish never ended. There are some issues here and there, but that's the price of breaking away from genre conventions to make something new, and it worked like a charm here, because I was smiling the entire playthrough.

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
32 | Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX
NSW | Aug 12 | 30 hrs | 4/5
E24ytNp.png

I have never played any of the Mystery Dungeon games in the past. No reason why, just never got around to them. There's a ton of content in this game. Well worth the price if you're into dungeon crawlers. Not my favorite genre but it certainly scratched the dungeon itch.

The story was bit generic. (Reminded me that the legendary Pokemon are assholes lol.) I did some early grinding but the story doesn't take too long. The game opens up after the main story. I think more than eight dungeons open. Plus other mechanics. Some of the dungeons were challenging; I was destroyed a few times going into a situation I was not prepared for.

It was incredibly fun meeting Pokemon on your journey and you can convince them to join your squad. You have the freedom to try difference moves, types, and even gear. I did get a bit bored running through the dungeons on repeat but I'm not blaming the game for that. Again, my personal experiences for this genre. There were dungeons I didn't explore so I did skip hours of content.

I might be hanging onto my game for future dungeon itches. It does a great job for a casual dungeon crawler like myself.

Main Post

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
another big update because once again I've been lazy this year to update regularly

header.jpg

Game #31 - Wolfenstein The New Order
Time: 11 hours
Platform: Xbox Series X
Rating: ★★★★

First in the Machine Games take on the Wolfenstein series and I really like what they did with the franchise, giving it a lot more narrative (maybe a little too much as all the walk and talk segments actually detract from the experience in my opinion), fantastic gameplay and really good visuals that still hold up today (I was shocked when I found out it was originally a 360 era game), its a super tight package and really made Wolfenstein one of my favorite FPS series right now.

header.jpg

Game #32 - Wolfenstein The Old Blood
Time: 5 hours

A prequel to New Order that feels more like a standalone expansion that a whole new game, it takes what Machine Games made with New Order and expands it gameplay wise, while scalling back on the campaign length (not in small part because it loses a lot of the walk and talk sections that sometimes dragged the first game down). It actually does a lot of new mechanics which I liked, and leans A LOT more on the supernatural aspect of the series which I really liked (unfortunately New Colossus does not), and whileI was tempted to give it a lower score since it's so much shorter, I feel the overall package is still great and still very much worth playing.

header.jpg

Game #33 - Morkredd
Time: 5 hours
Rating: ★★

This was a really cool puzzle game where you control two characters at once (or play it co-op I guess) navigating various light and darkness based puzzles, with some really good visuals and level design, except the last level is one of the worst levels I've ever played in a game, so bad in fact that it's one of those cases where it actually drags down the whole experience, thus it drags down the game itself in my opinion, which is a shame.

header.jpg

Game #34 - Final Fantasy XIV Shadowbringers (Patches 5.2-5.55)
Time: 30+ hours
Platform: PC

Got back into Shadowbringers during the 14 day trial they had going recently (no, not because of the Blizzard fiasco...), which were a godsend as it allowed me to finish up the Main Story Quest just in time for Endwalker in November. Unfortunately, as much as I love FFXIV, the Shadowbringers post-MSQ patch content was in line with the expansion itself, which was for me, dissapointing and easily my least favorite of the expansions. None of the story beats worked for me, and even the dungeons (except one) weren't very good. The new Trial is fantastic at least, but I'm just glad to be done with Shadowbringers and I'm still very excited for Endwalker, especially since it will be my first "live" expansion.

header.jpg

Game #35 - Wolcen (Arise patch)
Time: 30+ hours
Platform: PC

I was one of the few big fans of Wolcen back on release, even if it had a TON of problems when it launched, and going back to it after it had quite a few patches and work done to it, I'm very glad to see where it's at these days. Most of the major bugs seem gone, they introduced some new mechanics and a new main game mode (I made a whole new characters and went through the story mode to get to endgame with the new stuff), and most importantly for me, changed/buffed minions a lot so that alone made it worth playing again. It still looks and feels fantastic in my opinion, one of the best in the genre in that sense, unfortunately they missed the opportunity to introduce more new skills, which I thought would be a given seeing how the skills works in the game. Maybe one day.

7OPWuco.png

Game #36 - Pokemon Unite
Time: 15+ hours
Platform: Switch
Rating: ★★★

Surprisingly fun console moba, but also incredibly unbalanced and severely lacking in content, Pokemon Unite was a lot of fun for a few hours and I'll probably go back to it eventually when it has more content. But for now, one arena and only 21 heroes feels very barebones, and like I said, a lot of the heroes are borderline broken. Still, its F2P so you can probably get your "money's worth" out of it.

Main Post