Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
de670c6775d17d4f699e427ab9260fa3.jpg

Game 15: Kirby Nightmare In Dreamland (GBA) (3 Hours) (2/5) (September 23rd, 2022)
Had a real want to play a 2D Kirby for some reason and Nightmare In Dreamland was the one that came up. A remake of the NES game (which I didn't know until I finished the game!), it's a really tight and well designed platformer held together some pretty good presentation. While the graphics are wonderful, and I love how the game looks, the music in the game is rather lacklustre in comparison to other Kirby games. I enjoyed the pacing and I enjoyed the boss fights, but there was a repetition in "bosses" that merely involved beating Meta Knight's minions. The final bosses are all wonderful and the Fountain Of Dreams has the best presentation of almost any Kirby game with wonderful music in comparison to the rest of the game and wonderful pixel art. I didn't quite enjoy all the copy abilities, some of the ones like Ball and Rock were pretty boring or just annoying to use.

It's a pretty fun platformer, held up by it's level design and pacing, but there isn't too much substance. It's good and held my attention til the end.

Original Post

Last edited:

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
61. TIMEframe (PC - Steam) | 30 August 2022 | 5/10
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. TIMEframe is a really quite basic 'walking simulator', with its gimmick being that it takes place in the final ten seconds of a doomed world, just before being hit by a comet – but with time slowed down significantly and those ten seconds stretched to ten minutes; the game then loops back to the start, resetting the player to a central location. The ultimate goal of the game is to visit each of 14 landmarks spread throughout the world, each rewarding the player with a paragraph of lore to provide some context. There are some attractive, fairly grand, vistas on offer, but these can't offset the shallowness of the gameplay, with no jumping, running or interactivity (other than registering each landmark upon locating it), while the time-loop feels something of an unnecessary frustration, potentially resetting your location just as you're about to reach a landmark.

Oh god I remember this game. The music and how it comes on is incredible. I loved it back then.

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
XagmIuZ.png

29. Guwange (1999/2010, X360) ★★★★★
Slightly off-beat release from the shoot-'em-up darlings over at Cave. Set in Muromachi era Japan, you walk around rather than fly, meaning traditional level design rears its head, instead of the carve-your-own-path approach usually found in bullet hell. Additionally, you control both a character and can call upon a shikigami to cancel or slow incoming fire down. Keeping track of two sprites amidst the chaos, both of whom are controlled with the same d-pad, proved challenging at first. However, after a few runs everything clicked. This might be a weird retroactive comparison, but I'm playing Astral Chain concurrently, and the two are similar in this regard. Guwange's not the prettiest game by a long shot, and the music felt initially understated, but I've really come around on this one. It's quietly a masterpiece amongst Cave's already impressive roster.

BvVuvQT.png

30. ESP Ra.De. Ψ (1998/2019, Switch) ★★★★★
Stylish, Cave-produced bullet hell published in arcades by Atlus, which borrows heavily from contemporary anime with a character similar to Akira, vat-grown clones like in Evangelion, and even a nod at the cloaked tank from Ghost In The Shell. Here some teens with extra-sensory powers (hence the ESP) fly over a gritty city blasting people with psychic lasers. Said blasting is rather violent, due to the constant presence of showing the human cost of your destruction. Wailing enemies fall to their deaths from planes you shoot down, you blow up civilians in a mall, mow down crying clones of yourself by the truckload, and the human bosses perish screeching in agony amidst showers of blood.
An interesting approach is how picking different characters will result in a different level order, which means the developers had to balance the difficulty of the first three stages to work in any order. ESP Ra.De. also features a nuanced scoring system, with your secondary attack requiring more precision in exchange for way more points, and ways to prolong boss fights to milk more points from them. There's a lot of opaque subtleties to it, which, when coupled with things like hidden 1-Ups, imbues the game with a sense of mystery and reward for digging deeper. Very glad this finally got such a stellar modern port by the ever-excellent M2 STG, who went above and beyond for this one.

DHY87yl.png

31. Espgaluda II -Be Ascension. The Third Bright Stone of Birth- (2005/2021, Switch) ★★★★☆
Yes, that's the actual title. Seeing Griffin play this last year left me curious, and yeah, they were right. It's a smooth, competent, and thrilling shoot 'em up, with a few too many opaque systems to be welcoming to new players. The Kakusei/Awakening state (a slowdown + bullet cancel) has multiple subtly different forms depending on the length of your button press, and changes slightly in every different version of Espgaluda II included in this package. I don't love assigning button press lengths to different effects in such a hectic game, and the entire mechanic feels weirdly divorced from your Guard Barrier (basically an auto-bomb). Combining both could make a more streamlined system, and introduce further risk-reward wagers. Fundamentally I'm not as interested in this fantasy aesthetic either. I'm not sure what happened in Espgaluda 1 to bridge Esp Ra.De.'s urban fantasy to this high fantasy/steampunk setting, but it costs the series its visual identity.

eNcYKFE.png

32. DoDonPachi Resurrection a.k.a. DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu (2011/2021, Switch) ★★★★☆
Very complete compilation of all the DDP DFK versions. It's a military style bullet hell shooter, with aircrafts piloted by robots who look like anime girls (of course). Nothing too sleazy luckily. This game's skill floor definitely starts well above my pay-grade, I'm nowhere close to a full clear run without Continues. Luckily amateurs like myself are catered to in the Novice modes, and can even credit-feed our way to Secret Boss Hibachi (who I'm convinced is impossible) in the V1.51 version. Great game, but what a cruel 5th stage.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #66 - Catmaze
Time: 8 hours
Platform: Switch
Rating: ★★★

Decent metroidvania that unfortunately does nothing new or innovative, but at the same time it's base price is pretty cheap so it's hard to be too harsh on it. Pixel art is ok, reminds me of the earlier Momodora games, and the level design is actually quite good, but the gameplay feels super janky and basic, which really dragged the experience down for me. One of those that is only for the super hardcore fans of the genre that really need to play all of them (like me lol).

Main Post

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The Steam Deck has really put me back in contention lol:

30. Sep 27 - Wayward Strand
29. Sep 25 - Return to Monkey Island
28. Sep 23 - Trombone Champ
27. Sep 22 - Doki Doki Literature Club
26. Sep 21 - Saints Row
25. Sep 16 - Aperture Desk Job
24. Sep 16 - We Are OFK
23. Sep 15 - Little Orpheus

Griffin

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka
DHY87yl.png

31. Espgaluda II -Be Ascension. The Third Bright Stone of Birth- (2005/2021, Switch) ★★★★☆
Yes, that's the actual title. Seeing Griffin play this last year left me curious, and yeah, they were right. It's a smooth, competent, and thrilling shoot 'em up, with a few too many opaque systems to be welcoming to new players. The Kakusei/Awakening state (a slowdown + bullet cancel) has multiple subtly different forms depending on the length of your button press, and changes slightly in every different version of Espgaluda II included in this package. I don't love assigning button press lengths to different effects in such a hectic game, and the entire mechanic feels weirdly divorced from your Guard Barrier (basically an auto-bomb). Combining both could make a more streamlined system, and introduce further risk-reward wagers. Fundamentally I'm not as interested in this fantasy aesthetic either. I'm not sure what happened in Espgaluda 1 to bridge Esp Ra.De.'s urban fantasy to this high fantasy/steampunk setting, but it costs the series its visual identity.

Glad you liked Espgaluda II for the most part! I'm thinking I'll have to pick up that recent ESP Ra.De. release before it gets too pricey and apparently Guwange is backwards compatible on Xbox as well. The shmup backlog grows...

MAIN POST

LnKLkew.jpg

#18 - Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA) - ★★★★☆

I played a bunch of this through less than legitimate means as a teenager and it still holds up tremendously well in the newish Castlevania Advance Collection. Aria of Sorrow is the best of the GBA titles by far, and you could very well make a case for it being the best of the 'Metroidvania' style entries in the whole series. Having a wide range of moves makes the action more enjoyable, the music is excellent and the story was surprisingly interesting too, even if everyone probably knows the game's big plot twist by now.

The big hook in Aria of Sorrow is the soul system, with protagonist Soma collecting the souls of monsters to use their abilities. Equipping them gives him moves that are more varied than the usual Castlevania sub weapons, including transformations, dive kicks and summoning Jojo-style stands. They also give Soma different movement abilities like hovering and walking on water, adding to exploration with creative ways to reach new parts of Dracula's castle. Most of the souls are randomly acquired from enemies, so assuming you aren't going out of your way to grind for souls, you'll probably go through the game with a different set of abilities each time. The one issue with this system is that grinding for specific souls is required to see the game's 'true' ending, which throws off the pacing right at the end. The locations are also a bit boring, with Dracula's castle featuring the same old catacombs, ballrooms and clock towers as previous games. It doesn't do much with the more modern setting, although Soma can at least get a gun.

#19 - What Remains of Edith Finch (Xbox One) - ★★★★★

I swore off 'walking simulator' kind of games after trudging through Dear Esther about a decade ago, but the strong critical reception to Edith Finch led me to check it out while it was still on Game Pass. And I'm glad I did. Calling it a 'walking simulator' does the game a disservice as exploring the Finch family home is full of surprises, utilising different storytelling and gameplay styles to present different perspectives. I don't really want to explain more than that, since it's best to go in as blind as possible. It's definitely a short game, but it's a well-written one that never overstayed its welcome.

sosadtoday

May 18, 2021
11. 26/09/2022 - the dark pictures anthology: little hope - ⭐ - ps5 - 5 hours
12. 27/09/2022 - lego builders journey - ⭐⭐⭐⭐ - pc - 2 hours

main post.

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
53 | Fallout 4
PS4 | Sep 15 | 25 h | 3.5/5
8wXTCdo.jpg

Came back after finding save slots from 2015! I quickly figured out that I never reached an ending. So naturally I had to take time to remember how to play and get all base game trophies. I do not have any of the DLCs; this is base game only.

I can't really remember pros and cons of going through this one. That's my bad. I have a bad habit of starting a game, only to drop it later on. (Even if I'm enjoying it.) I do recall the story's main points, the connection I had with a certain follower, and that I enjoyed the different factions you can join. The game does a good job of letting you do quests for each faction before deciding to solely join them.

From my memory, the environment design with visuals and direction were a much needed improvement from Fallout 3. Although it still does the "go up to go down" and "go left to go right." It's a bit annoying when traveling in buildings. The base management system was the weakest link for me. The problem is how shallow the system works. You only have a handful of stats with invisible numbers that affect your stats. There's one trophy in particular that felt absolutely unnecessary and cruel. You're stuck babysitting a stat that you have very little information about, other than an up or down arrow. It really hammered how shallow the management system worked.

54 | Fallout 3
PS3 Streaming | Sep 21 | 37 h | 3/5
GgH5ryZ.jpg

Since I finished Fallout 4, I had an itch to replay Fallout 3. I remembered loving that game way back.

I still greatly enjoyed playing it. I loved the exploration and talking with NCPs. There's different ways to play out your character with the karma system. It was fun starting as an ass and then later turning into a hero. Funny how certain characters won't be pals with you depending on your karma.

Visually, the game suffers. I don't mean the PS3 graphics necessarily. It's that everything is gray. I know, I know! The world suffered through an apocalypse. The buildings are annihilated. But does EVERYTHING have to be the same color. The sky, the ground, your gun, your clothes. Everything is the same shade. There's a definite improvement in Fallout 4 with pops of color. At least I hope on what I remember.

I still hate the downtown DC area because there's a million dead ends. Confusing when I first played and still a bit confusing now. You have to go underground to go somewhere else above ground. I just want to walk there please. Why make this difficult. Maybe it was to help break up the open world but I found it a nuisance.

Main Post

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
65. (replay) Freedom Planet ★★★★

oE3CNAa.png

I started this replay months ago, triple dipping on the game to do so even, but it kinda fell to the wayside and I only got back to it because the sequel was finally on my doorstep.
As for why the replay initially faltered, that's actually because of the one real gripe I have with the game, the stages can get too long, effectively inspired by Sonic 3's thematically connected act 1 and act 2 of a zone, smashed into one ever rolling onwards stage. While 8-15 minutes might not sound that much, especially when the game isn't all that long, it can feel a bit draining when the action never lets up.

Otherwise this is a game I still have a lot of praise for, starting as a Sonic fangame before taking on its own life and becoming a game with a sonic style speedy base but coming together more like an amalgamation of 16 bit mega drive action platformers, it was a great modern throwback in 2014, especially in a pre Sonic Mania world.
And it still is a pretty great platformer now, distinct stages, simple but effective combat that flows well into the speedy platforming, some classic pattern recognition bosses that are satisfying to best even if they initially trounce you.
I really noted this time, that the endgame's string of stages, is one of the best takes of the Mega Man Wily Castle/Sigma Fortress. Great sense of escalation, the game's big bad tying himself directly into some stage gimmicks is especially fitting for a game that takes its story pretty seriously.
Oh yeah, story, that's a thing here, but you have the option of classic mode that shaves off the game's cutscenes of fluctuating quality, it's all very Sonic Adventure era but less of the endearing cheese, more like just cheese, so I don't tend to go back to the story mode.
Note this is important for what comes next.

66. Freedom Planet 2 ★★★★

capsule_616x353.jpg

And here it is, announced in 2015, finally releasing this September, I've been waiting for this one for some time.
This is a classic MORE sequel, throwing in an extra character while revamping the previous three to have more options, doubling the amount of stages, adding full blown hubs full of NPCs (with a ton of unique sprites no less) and giving the graphics a jump that's like going from the mega drive to the Saturn.

Despite all the MORE, I'd say that I find this sequel not so much a definitive upgrade, but more an interesting sidegrade that offers a slightly differing take on the original game's formula, it's ultimately an iterative sequel, but in Sonic terms, small changes to characters and level design structure does make it feel a bit like the original game is classic Sonic, and this here is DS era Rush Sonic, The pace is faster, your options allow you to really dance over the level design in places, it's both to the game's benefit (the characters just feel fun to play as) and its slight detriment (level design lacks some of the more focused platforming obstacles of the original)

FP2 always makes sure that its stages have some kind of notable set piece, a strong finish, something that can make up for the fact that some stages can meander a bit in the middle. Noticeably the game has quite a clear cut first half, complete with a mini stage rush and climactic boss fight, followed by a second half with more experimental stage design and concepts.
This is where things can be interesting, as I'm not sure I'm that big on some of the concepts in the later half of the game, but I also respect the commitment to try new ideas and shake up the formula, considering this game is twice as long as the original, I think it was the right choice, even if the game can start to feel a bit long in the tooth.

So remember the whole commitment to story thing I mentioned regarding the original? FP2 goes further, it even holds the classic mode captive behind beating the game once, you're gonna get story whether you want it or not. Though I see why this was the case, the addition of city hubs, framing of level progression that allows you to pick the order of certain stages as they come in episodic batches, there's a lot of effort here to shore up the shaky plot elements of the original.
Ultimately it's still a bit uneven, carrying some real "western made anime for teens" energy, yet the performances are well delivered (that Aaa character can grate though), I actually was more drawn into the overall narrative this time, even if it kinda flops around a bit in the back end due to missing scenes from the characters you don't play as.

Definitely one of this year's sleeper games, the game's launch went under the radar, not much buzz, coming in a bit hot as well, the devs seem to be really hedging their bets on the console releases next year I believe. Understandable, but I'd hope this game doesn't get too overlooked, even in a post sonic mania world, we still need our Freedom Planets.
Good enough that I went right back in after my initial Lilac playthrough to do a Milla Playthrough which might've been even more fun.

67. Metal Hellsinger ★★★

I don't know who came up with the idea to combine Doom 2016 style arena shootouts, with playing to a beat with rhythm game scoring elements, but here it is, somehow working a lot more smoothly than it really should.

As a genre of music, I'm not really a metal guy, which puts this game in an odd place for me because the music is half of the entire appeal I'm sure, all I can say was it seemed well produced, one of my friends recognised the names involved and approved, so I'll just assume they did good here and I imagine wouldn't be out of place on any OST of the year lists.

The idea of shooting to the rhythm while dashing around for your life in frantic firefights seems a bit messy, in truth it's not exactly a clean experience, but I can overlook some of the issues here because conceptually it's fresh and delivers upon what it sets out to do.
A somewhat short game, with a fair amount of replay value and challenges, definitely the right move to not drag this one out as the game does run out of new enemies and weapons pretty quickly. Strong atmosphere with its hellscapes worthy of an album cover (uhh I think), sconces bursting forth pyro like bursts of fire to the beat of the music is always neato (uhh, I mean "so metal?"), each enemy stands out visually which is important in the chaos of a gunfight.

Now I did hit a funny accidental snag here, on the second to last stage, I accidentally hit the shoulder button in the menu and moved the difficulty level up to maximum, suddenly I was like "damn, this game got HARD, and spongy, I'm not sure I'm having fun anymore", the lack of a revive option could conveniently be explained away by a story event that affected this specific chapter so I kept smashing my head against the mission.
Eventually after a decent-ish failed run, I noticed that my position on the leaderboards was like 230 something, compared to the usual complete stage score netting me a position like 9000 something, this finally tipped me off that I must've goofed on the menu.
And then I went back through and felt like I was on god mode.

That little accidental outing on the hardest mode did highlight some issues with the game's aim assist (desperately trying to shoot the equivalent of an explosive barrel with 5 enemies standing around it, and the game just keeps snapping the shots away from my center target to the nearby enemies), the weapon variety (or lack thereof) combined with low fire rate/slow weapons seeming detrimental to the actual importance of combo building for extra damage and boons.
But that's all for the player that sticks around, that ain't me here, truly a one and done via gamepass.
I stepped out my wheelhouse (musically at least) and had some fun, I think the devs did good with the concept.

I really disliked the story narration though, tedious drawl to me that I eventually started skipping, though the end credits did at least finally have me realise why it sounded like Joel from the Last of Us was spouting a boring bar story to me....yep, Troy Baker is still everywhere, even in your indie games.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
It's October, and I'm officially a month behind in terms of progress:

33. Dysmantle (PC, 2021) - 42:58 - September 9
34. The Artful Escape (PC, 2021) - 4:06 - September 12
35. Powerwash Simulator (PC, 2022) - 32:05 (+16:20 in 2021, Early Access) - September 24

Part of this recently is due to what I think is an RSI flaring up, so I've been trying to spend less time at the computer. Unfortunately, this means a bunch of games I normally play with mouse and keyboard are on the backburner (Chorus and Hardspace: Shipbreaker). I did get through PowerWash Simulator at least, but playing that on controller was not nearly as precise as I wanted it to be so I ended up playing a bunch of that at my desk despite wanting to rest a bit. Thank goodness for having a trackball for the non-dominant hand and not needing super quick reflexes in PowerWash.

Luckily, the games I did manage to finish are all quality. Dysmantle maybe goes on a bit too long but it was a great pick-up-and-play title for the Steam Deck and it's easy to tell yourself there's just one more thing to do, a few more resources to gather, one more area to explore before you call it a day. I wasn't sure if I'd like The Artful Escape at first, but it turned out to be a blast to play through as well; it had just the right amount of absurd humour and psychedelic whimsy, and it put a smile on my face. Finally, what is there to say about PowerWash? It's a very meditative and satisfying experience. The only real complaint I can think of is that some of the levels get really large and have to be done in multiple play sessions unless you're really dedicated, and I don't think that's necessarily a good thing (looking at you, subway station), but this isn't a major problem outside of maybe two levels.

October's gonna be a weird month this year, I think. Usually we'd be suffering from a bountiful harvest of major games releasing around now, but this year the only game I've got on pre-order for October is Bayonetta 3. There are a few other games I'm considering, mainly the Square Enix games coming out this quarter, but I'm not in any rush to get any of them. This hopefully means I can clean up some of the games I'm currently working on and maybe get back to/start some stuff I got earlier this year but haven't had much time to dig into.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
aXYodVr.jpg

#36 Shovel Knight: King of Cards - PC - 6 hours - 7.5
There's definitley a bit of Shovel Knight fatigue by the time you get to King of Cards, but its still a quality game in a quality series. The King is a unique controlling character and the card minigame is fun

#37 Hollow Knight - Xbox - 24 hours - 8.5
Bought this years ago on switch and honestly got frustrated when I got really lost. Went in this time determined to finish it and I'm glad I did. I don't love the map system and think the charms could use a little rework but the things that matter most, the game gets right with exploration, memorable NPCs and boss fights

#38 Final Fantasy IX - PC - 30 hours - 8.0
The setting of FFIX appeals to me more than 7 or 8 and it's probably my favourite of the PS1 games now. The game does peak in the first half but honestly most JRPGs do. It's got a good cast of characters and I loved the FMVs as well

#39 Watch_Dogs (Replay) + Bad Blood DLC - Xbox - 40 hours - 7.5

Watch_Dogs ain't that bad, I actually like the city a lot, and when its rains and you go into first person driving around, the atmosphere is great! The protagonist is lame and hacking is not used that well as a mechanic, but I liked the missions and shootouts, did a lot of side missions just listening to podcasts and idk, my dumb brain was happy to keep playing

#40 Olija - Xbox - 3:30 hours - 7.5
level design good and art good, town building underbaked
Pretty neat, it ends far too quickly and the town building aspect is underbaked but the visual style is nice but well made combat and exploration make for a nice little game. Fun boss fights!

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
A very solid month for me in September, with nine games beaten, including some real gems (play Tinykin, people!). I don't think that I'm going to hit 100 games this year, but let's see how close I can get!

Main post here

header.jpg

62. Blossom Tales II: The Minotaur Prince | 2 September 2022 | 8/10
Completed with 100% item collection and upgrades. Blossom Tales II is very deliberately following the template of classic 2D Zelda games, especially so A Link to the Past. In its gameplay mechanics there's very little here that's original - usable items range from a standard sword and shield, to bombs and a bow, and even bottles for potions; there's an overworld and several more puzzle-focused self-contained 'dungeons'; upgrades come from quarter hearts and energy fragments; and plenty more! All this aside, the game does a really excellent job of capturing that classic Zelda feel, with meticulous level design and balance, a wide range of (simple) quests and a fun story (albeit lacking the 'epic' feel that Zelda games typically evoke). That really sums up the experience here, and Blossom Tales II is just wonderfully *fun* to play despite being nearly entirely unoriginal - and sometimes, that's all that really counts!

Kiwi-64.jpg

63. Kiwi 64 (Switch) | 3 September 2022 | 6/10
Complete playthrough. Kiwi 64 is a very short, single level 3D platformer, very clearly inspired by Banjo-Kazooie. For a solo project, it's quite impressive, and it does a good job of replicating to basics of classic 'collectathon' 3D platforming gameplay, but with only basic jump and attack abilities, there's little depth here. Clearly lacking polish in both controls and presentation, nonetheless there's some enjoyment to be had here and it'll be interesting to see how the follow-up Super Kiwi 64, with a much greater scope, turns out.

header.jpg

64. Hell Pie (Xbox One) | 4 September 2022 | 8/10
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked (1,000G), all collectibles obtained. Hell Pie is 3D platformer that generally succeeds despite an entirely repugnant aesthetic. The premise here sees the player taking control of the demon of bad taste, seeking out ingredients for the titular pie from four distinct environments. The core gameplay is excellent, with tight controls, well-built levels with a generally well-judged level of challenge and range of collectibles, and a solid suite of upgradable abilities with which to navigate those levels. Of particular note is the grappling ability, a central part of the moveset which allows you to start swinging pretty much on demand (from a flying cherub chained to the player character) - this brings a wonderful sense of dynamism and freedom to navigating the environments, with extra swings available from the upgrade tree, and at its core is just *fun* to use.

The levels are mechanically well-built and while there are "only" four main areas, each of these are really quite expansive, as well as acting as a hub from which several smaller sub-levels can be accessed. While the hub levels offer more of an exploratory feel, the sub-levels are more focused on linear platforming challenge, making for a nice range of approach. However, I can't close this out without coming back to the game's theme, which takes every opportunity to be 'gross' and disgusting, with blood, guts, faeces and similar seen throughout - and in so doing is a *massive* turn-off. I realise that some people seem to find this amusing, but that's not a view that I understand or can empathise with in the least. It's tribute to the quality of the gameplay that I still enjoyed the game on the whole despite this - but it would be *so* much better with a different theme.

header.jpg

65. Haven Park (Switch) | 7 September 2022 | 7/10
All quests completed, all campsites fully developed. The immediate point of comparison to Haven Park is the excellent A Short Hike, with both games putting the player in control of an anthropomorphic bird, exploring an island from an overhead perspective. However, beyond that there are significant differences, with Haven Park having a less well-defined overall goal, based primarily around restoring a somewhat dilapidated nature park and developing a number of campsites scattered around the area with a 'lite' Animal Crossing like approach, attracting (permanent) 'visitors' of whom a handful will set you a basic quest. Movement abilities are simple running and jumping, without any flight ability; a simple set of skill upgrades are split between those with an exploration focus and camp-building.

With no real element of danger (the worst that you might encounter is falling from a height and having to climb back up) and a charming, cheerful approach to the scenario, Haven Park is an enjoyable, relaxing time to play through. It lacks the degree of polish and satisfying self-containedness of A Short Hike, but not meeting that high bar isn't an overly strong detractor.

header.jpg

66. Tinykin (Xbox One) | 11 September 2022 | 9/10
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked (1,000G), all collectibles obtained. Tinykin was an excellent, unexpected surprise, combining a 'collectathon' 3D platformer with Pikmin-esque puzzle-solving. The premise sees our protagonist Milo returning to Earth from Space, to find himself shrunk to the size of an insect and needing to explore cities within a now-giant house to recover parts to build a machine to get him home. The game revolves around gathering up tiny creatures (the titular 'tinykin') any using their abilities to traverse and manipulate the environment, with five distinct colours of pikmin each having their own ability - climbing, carrying and event exploding.

The puzzles are all pretty simple and there's little in the way of danger as Milo explores each environment, comprising six main rooms, each themed around different rooms of the house - living room, bathroom, etc. Despite this they're wonderfully satisfying to solve. While the graphics are fairly simple, each level's design is meticulously detailed, with a high degree of verticality and being packed with hidden secrets - but often signposted by the game's most common collectible, small pollen motes. This is where the 'collectathon' aspects of Tinykin come to the fore, with most levels having over 1,000 pollen to collect. That may seem intimidating, but moreso these are spread in a way that rewards exploration - and it's perfectly possible to find everything without a guide, provided that you take your time to explore thoroughly, which also allows you to take in the impressive level design that I mentioned earlier.

Tinykin is a fairly short game, probably a little over 10 hours or so in total if you explore thoroughly - and that's a well-judged length. Besides the five different types of tinykin, there's a limit to the extent of different mechanics employed in each level, so this length ensures that the game doesn't overstay its welcome. That said, I can't deny that I'm left wanting to see more in this style before *too* long - and some DLC a little way down the line would be very welcome!

header.jpg

67. Dandy & Randy DX (Xbox One) | 19 September 2022 | 7/10
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked (1,000G). Dandy & Randy DX is a short but enjoyable puzzle game, with optional co-op, very much styled after the SNES classic Goof Troop. Each level sees players navigating a small map, comprising a number of linked fixed screen areas, collecting a key usable item to help with traversal and puzzle-solving and four keys to allow progression, before eventually facing off against a boss. Puzzles are all pretty simple, based mainly around block manipulation and pressure plates, with just the very occasional scenario that might take a minute to work out (e.g., due to hidden switches). Following the game's retro inspiration, graphics take a pixelart style, but are attractive and quite detailed nonetheless. Some modern design choices are nice to see nonetheless, such as item collection being remembered even after death and level restart - even if the way that these work in the final level can lead to a softlock.

header.jpg

68. The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC - Steam) | 24 September 2022 | 8/10
Complete playthrough. The Secret of Monkey Island may be old, but its status as a classic of the genre is absolutely justified, and this fully-voiced remaster brings it presentation nicely up-to-date. The puzzle design is generally clever, though does get a bit too far-fetched in its logic at times; thankfully an integrated hint system helps to offset this to some extent. Where the game (and the whole series, really) really shines, though, is in its fantastic writing, laced throughout with well-judged comedic themes. The enhanced rendition of the signature soundtrack rounds out a great package, an enjoyable way to recap on the series' roots in advance of moving on to the newly-released Return to Monkey Island.

2d3addcfe9a6a537c211d2c4962bf65194a64358.jpg

69. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD (Switch) | 25 September 2022 | 8/10
Completed with all heart containers and key collectibles. In Skyward Sword HD, we have technically-impressive remaster of a somewhat controversial entry in the The Legend of Zelda franchise, but one that I still love. Lying right at the start of the timeline of the series, the game adds meaningfully to the lore of the world, set here with an overworld in the sky and three distinct ground-based regions. The scale of each of these environments is impressively large, much more extensive than they originally feel that they might be, with interesting level and puzzle design throughout - and particularly so in the varied range of 'dungeons' that act as the highlight to each area, several of which are arguably among the franchise's best. There's even a "water temple" that's fairly roundly praised!

Originally released on the Wii, that brought with it Skyward Sword most divisive element - motion controls. Skyward Sword HD also offers these, in a more refined form given improvements in motion tracking that we've now seen, but also with the option of a control scheme that completely eschews motion controls, which I used pretty much exclusively. There are definitely still some flaws to the approach, but on the whole it works fairly well, still allowing the innovations in combat and some puzzles that came with the introduction of motion. There are also plenty of quality-of-life improvements introduced here to round out the package (the frequent interruptions from companion character Fi become largely optional), very much the definitive way to experience an underappreciated gem.

header.jpg

70. Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck's Revenge (PC - Steam) | 26 September 2022 | 8/10
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. The original Secret of Monkey Island still remains a great game, but its sequel, LeChuck's Revenge, easily manages to match its quality, with a significantly larger, more detailed set of locations to explore, and humourous writing that's frequently also a step up from its predecessor. The integrated hint system is, however, arguably all the more necessary here, as while the puzzle solutions are pretty much always fun to see playing out - when you know what's needed - they frequently become very obscure, and the larger number of environments means that it can be harder to know where to go to progress. On the aesthetics, once again the special edition provides a nice lick of paint over the experience, and the interface also sees some notable usability improvements.

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
01. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (Dreamcast) | Jan/02 - 10hrs | ★★★★★
02. Super Mario World (SNES) | Jan/02 - 5hrs | ★★★★★
03. Super Mario 64 (N64) | Jan/08 - 17hrs | ★★★★★
04. Unpacking (PC) | Jan/08 - 4hrs | ★★★★☆
05. Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES) | Jan/15 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
06. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (Sega Saturn) | Jan/16 - 2hrs | ★★★★★
07. Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii) | Jan/18 - 12hrs | ★★★★★
08. Banjo-Kazooie (XBO) | Jan/24 - 11hrs | ★★★★★
09. Cyber Shadow (XBO) | Jan/28 - 8hrs | ★★★☆☆
10. Destiny 2: Forsaken (PS4) | Jan/29 - 8hrs | ★★★★☆
11. The Medium (PC) | Feb/15 - 9hrs | ★★☆☆☆
12. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered (PS4) | Feb/16 - 35hrs | ★★★★★
13. Touhou Luna Nights (XBO) | Feb/18 - 6hrs | ★★★★☆
14. ARCADE GAME SERIES: Ms. PAC-MAN (PS4) | Feb/19 - 2hrs | ★★★★☆
15. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Session! (PS4) | Mar/01 - 40hrs | ★★★★★
16. Persona 5 (PS4) | Mar/28 - 150hrs | ★★★★★
17. Xeodrifter (PS Vita) | Mar/30 - 2hrs | ★★★☆☆
18. Gorogoa (XBO) | Apr/06 - 1hr | ★★★☆☆
19. Need for Speed (PS4) | Apr/07 - 25hrs | ★★☆☆☆
20. Kero Blaster (PS4) | Apr/10 - 5hrs | ★★★★☆
21. Jak II (PS4) | Apr/17 - 15hrs | ★★☆☆☆
22. OFF (PC) | Apr/19 - 6hrs | ★★★★★
23. Celeste (PS4) | Apr/22 - 14hrs | ★★★★☆
24. The Artful Escape (Xbox) | Apr/23 - 3hrs | ★★☆☆☆
25. Flywrench (PS4) | Apr/27 - 2hrs | ★★★☆☆
26. Streets of Rage 4 (XBO) | Apr/28 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
27. Save Room - Organization Puzzle (PC) | Apr/29 - 2hrs | ★★★☆☆
28. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4) | May/13 - 6hrs | ★★★★☆
29. Never Alone (Kisima Inŋitchuŋa) (PS4) | May/15 - 3hrs | ★★★☆☆
30. Transistor (PS4) | May/22 - 16hrs | ★★★★★
31. Resident Evil (PS4) | Jun/05 - 16hrs | ★★★★☆
32. Mega Man 2 (Mega Man Legacy Collection) (PS4) | Jun/08 - 2hrs | ★★★★★
33. Mega Man 3 (Mega Man Legacy Collection) (PS4) | Jun/09 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
34. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (PS4) | Jun/15 - 35hrs | ★★★★☆
35. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge (PC) | Jun/18 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
36. Umurangi Generation (PC) | Jun/19 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
37. Tetris Effect (PS4) | Jun/21 - 20hrs | ★★★★★
38. Trek to Yomi (XBO) | Jun/23 - 3hrs | ★★☆☆☆
39. Asura's Wrath (XBO) | Jun/25 - 12hrs | ★★★★★
40. Disc Room (PC) | Jun/26 - 4hrs | ★★★★☆
41. Pokémon Legends: Arceus (Switch) | Jul/11 - 54hrs | ★★★★☆
42. Cuphead (PC) | Jul/22 - 7hrs | ★★★★★
43. Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course (PC) | Jul/22 - 4hrs | ★★★★★
44. Katamari Damacy REROLL (PC) | Jul/23 - 5hrs | ★★★★☆
45. Tunic (PC) | Jul/25 - 12hrs | ★★★1/2
46. WipEout 2048 (PS Vita) | Aug/10 - 15hrs | ★★★1/2
47. Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (PS4) | Aug/12 - 10hrs | ★★★★
48. Shovel Knight (PS Vita) | Aug/15 - 4hrs | ★★★★★
49. Strike Vector EX (PS4) | Aug/17 - 4hrs | ★★★1/2
50. The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match (PS4) | Aug/17 - 4hrs | ★★★★
51. Sky Force Anniversary (PS Vita) | Aug/19 - 7hrs | ★★1/2
52. Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012) (PS Vita) | Aug/23 - 7hrs | ★★
53. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 (PS Vita) | Sep/12 - 60hrs | ★★★1/2
54. Super Meat Boy (PS Vita) | Sep/12 - 10hrs | ★★★
55. SteamWorld Dig (PS Vita) | Sep/18 - 5hrs | ★★★1/2
56. Burnout Paradise: Remastered (PS4) | Sep/20 - 18hrs | ★★★★1/2
57. Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (PS Vita) | Oct/02 - 6hrs | ★★★

55. SteamWorld Dig (PS Vita) | Sep/18 - 5hrs | ★★★1/2
rQmJaim.jpg

A simple, easy, short but very fun game. A good choice for those who like 2D exploration and platforming, with new skills and improvements being acquired throughout the story. Despite not having anything extraordinary, the progress is satisfying enough to make it worth going to the end.​

56. Burnout Paradise: Remastered (PS4) | Sep/20 - 18hrs | ★★★★1/2
QcZUZ1e.gif

The first few hours of playing Burnout Paradise are very impressive. The game is beautiful, the soundtrack is great, the city is fun to explore and the events are varied and all pretty interesting, with emphasis on the Road Rage (execute a specific number of takedowns) and Showtime (destruction around the city). There are several rewards in each corner of the map and the fact that the races don't limit you to a specific path, just giving you a hint of a likely better next turn, works very well for me. Since the map is not very big, eventually the game can get a little repetitive. But at this point I had reached the maximum license grade and the initial impression that Burnout Paradise is one of the best arcade racing games I've ever played remained intact.​

57. Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (PS Vita) | Oct/02 - 6hrs | ★★★
N5BAmpM.jpg

Platform/puzzle game from the same guys that made Guacamelee. As you control a blob that absorbs everything smaller than itself, the game goes through a lot of physics focused puzzles, and also uses the Vita's touch screen a lot. There's also special stages that use the motion sensor to control the blob as a ball in a maze. Mutant Blobs Attack is very charming visually, but the lack of variety of songs that are repeated in each level is a little annoying. It has its moments, but in general I found the game to be just"ok".​

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
vb777K2.jpg

22. Live-A-Live (Switch) | 9/1/2022 - 26 hrs | 4.5/5
After hearing good word of mouth online and from podcasts, I decided to pick this up. I had a great time playing it except for a few of the character's stories. The graphics were great and I was a big fan of the music. You can really see the origins of Octopath Traveler in this game and I'm glad it was finally remade and released in the US.

q3cdyxX.jpeg

23. Final Fantasy XIV: Patch 6.2 - Buried Memory (PC) | 10/2/2022 - 5 hrs | 4.5/5
This was another great patch post Endwalker that is laying the groundwork to the story for the next expansion. Because the story of this continued Endwalker, I will keep the spoilers tagged and brief...
I am really enjoying where they are going with the patches, bringing in more from Final Fantasy IV. Seeing Golbez got me all pumped, not sure if they will have him be the final boss of these patches or if he will be the next big bad of the next expansion.
Once again Soken and gang knocked it out of the park with the music. With how this one ended, I can't wait for the next patch!

Main Post

Last edited:

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
Main Post

Almost broke the curse in February when I originally made banners, then it just never happened haha. Now it's way, way past May when I usually make my first post and I'm 38 games in, so I'm going to post in 10 game groups as work through writeups to not flood the thread all at once.
JANUARY 2022
01. Ori and the Blind Forest (Switch) | Jan 6th - 11hrs | 5/5
jZDfrbT.jpg

Beautiful game, feels great to play, and had a fair amount of difficulty at times that I really enjoyed. My playtime would probably have been a lot shorter had I not been so conservative with my saves and so overly confident in my abilities. I wish I had done the optional area sooner because I had assumed it would be a gauntlet testing your skills but instead it's just another area that gives you two great skills. Very happy with this, I'm looking forward to Will of the Wisps

02. Hitman (2016) (PS4) | Jan 9th - 5hrs | 5/5
AJ1OtHu.jpg

Very surprised by how much I remember this game. The competition that the discord held actually made me approach the game in a way I hadn't felt the need to before. Where I used to be content with just doing challenges and story missions, I'm now looking for opportunities to multitask and set up lethal poison kills to get the fastest times and highest scores.

03. Hitman 2 (PS4) | Jan 13th - 14hrs | 5/5
B3HIpiS.jpg

Hitman 2 was much less familiar to me since I hadn't replayed it the way I had with the Hitman 2016 maps for weird syncing reasons or trophies. I spent a lot more time refamiliarizing myself with the maps and even the story. Included the DLC again this time instead of counting it separately, it just feels like it belongs together to me.

04. Hitman III (PS5) | Jan 15th - 8hrs | 5/5
xuUrx1u.jpg

Still very fresh in my memory from my initial playthrough. Messed around a bit more with the Deluxe and Seven Deadly Sins DLC but still haven't gotten through them all. It was fun entering the competition with the highest scores and staying there for a while but ultimately I was kicked down by three people while I was deeply in studying mode for exams and unable to fight back. Still pretty fun though! I haven't gotten around to Ambrose Island yet.

05. Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memories (PS4) | Jan 17th - 37hrs | 5/5
AdNv9Ua.jpg

Another replay, it's just more comfortable that way when I was stressing out from studying and didn't want to play something with mystery length cutscenes or new mechanics. That and I couldn't leave my Kingdom Hearts platinum trophies incomplete! Basically had to play through every song again on easy and hard so I think it's fair to count as a replay. Still wild that it's a year after Kingdom Hearts III, still can't wait to see where the story goes in Kingdom Hearts IV.

06. Judgement (PS4) | Jan 19th - 62hrs | 5/5
SYZJJiG.jpg

Was convinced to play this in English and it was pretty good! Though I still enjoy the game in Japanese, I'm glad there's a good alternative that opens up accessibility for people want/need it. It's cool how this is still a Dragon Engine game but feels very different from RGG6 Kiryu. The way the subquests are tied to a city-wide friends system and having many of those sub stories come together into a dedicated side quest is so fun and cool. The mystery itself was fantastic, I'll be playing Yakuza: Like A Dragon (RGG7) next but I'm looking forward to Lost Judgement as well, despite the disappointing news that the series is ending because Sega and Yagami's actor's agency couldn't work things out.

07. Luigi's Mansion 3 (Switch) | Jan 23rd - 17hrs | 5/5
yPLAeef.jpg

Finally finished my series playthrough! While it doesn't have the many unique encounters that Luigi's Mansion 1 has, it's very much a successor to its charming gameplay - all you're missing from Luigi's Mansion 2 is the introduction of Polterpup. The campaign is a good length and there's plenty of exploring to do between collecting gems and Boos. Since I'm writing this in October, I feel the need to say that I highly recommend this game, especially if you're in the mood for cute spooky vibes and a co-op experience.
Yes, I really didn't beat any games between January and May, I was studying for some tech certifications.
MAY 2022
08. Pokemon Legends: Arceus (Switch) | May 20th - 102hrs | 5/5
J8oiA88.jpg

I have many thoughts about this game, it's one of those experiences where I'm a little tired of defending how much I love it. It's different, it's experimental, it's imperfect, but it does many things that I'm glad Gamefreak allowed themselves to try before the next major mainline entries. I have to stop now before I write 10 paragraphs.

09. Pokemon Shield - The Crown Tundra (Switch) | May 22nd - 12hrs | 4/5
fxcOLt6.jpg

Finally got around to this expansion before Scarlet/Violet could come out. The main focus being on raids to legendaries is a bit unappealing to me, I feel the need to maximize opportunities and raid with friends so we can all get many legendaries, but I'm lazy and it's too late now. The campaign for Crown Tundra was more fun than Isle of Armor in my opinion and the new legendaries and forms are great. I'm such a sucker for regional forms and I will die on this hill.
JUNE 2022
10. Sniper Elite 5 (PS5) | Jun 11th - 45hr | 5/5
bgcZut8.jpg

How do you take a series heavily focused on sniping and make it open world while keeping it challenging? You add a lot of hills, physical barriers, and interior areas that can't be sniped from the mission start. Generally really enjoyed this game and appreciate this upheaval of the franchise's map design, though I found the first map a terrible representation of how good the rest of the game is. The multiplayer modes and invasions add a lot of tension even when it feels like there's nothing happening. Of course, I'm still pretty bad at sniping so I had to turn off invasions once they made my missions last too long. This time around, I was more interested in collectibles and trophies as well, it's just a joy to play. Shot Hitler in the nut, can't wait for the rest of the DLC to drop.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
40 - Immortal - Steam Deck - 20 hours / 20th September - 8/10
I really loved the story and the twists. The acting and dialogue were also all fantastic. however, as a game, it suffers from the same flaws as telling lies. Once you only have a few scenes left to find, it's really hard to know where they could be and what to keep searching for. It really needs some form of index that shows you the chronology and where the missing scenes are missing. Without it, it becomes a real drag towards the end and just like with telling lies, you end up randomly clicking things rewatching the same sequences over and over again until you magically find the last ones. It's a shame because until I hit that wall, it was turning into one of my favourite games ever.

41 - Lost Judgment - PS5 - 60 hours / 2nd October - 10/10
I loved Judgement and Lost Judgement is a brilliant sequel. It's like hanging out with old friends. The side school missions are also really long and all have new mechanics to enjoy: boxing, skateboarding, dancing, robot fights, bike races... They're all really fun activities. All in all, a fantastic sequel.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Full List
Completions: 36/52

hero

33. Tinykin (XSX) | 23 Sep - 6.5 hrs | 9.5/10
One of my surprises of the year, I played the demo during the summer demo days event and fell in love with the game and knew I'd be jumping in at launch. It coming to gamepass day one was just a cherry on top. The game has a wonderful sense of exploration and progression. I'd never played a pikmin-like, and Tinykin may have made me a fan of the genre-will have to look into picking up one of pikmin games on switch.

Diesel%2Fproductv2%2Ffar-cry-3-blood-dragon%2Fhome%2FFarCry3BloodDragon_Store_Landscape_2580x1450-2580x1450-dedcefb519e99c5e1c45e928c2960b3ca59ecf22.jpg

34. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon (Google Stadia) | 1 Oct - 5.5 hrs | 7/10
Heard good things, and enjoyed the game for the most part, skipping the entirely forgettable story. The weapons were a highlight, especially the shotgun reload animations. Unfortunately I didn't find the missions/world/enemies to be all that interesting. The titular blood dragons were especially disappointing I felt. Still a decent game but I'm not sure I liked it as much as others.

8b6040a4c7b06da898d5ef790ef19cd51074bb2c.jpg

35. Midnight Fight Express (Xbox Cloud Gaming) | 3 Oct - 7 hrs | 9/10
Usually not a beat-em-up fan, but this one seemed slick enough in the trailers that I decided to give it a shot. Ended up loving it - felt like an action movie simulator, and the mo-capped fight animations lived up to the trailers. The flexibility of options to take on each encounter, between throwing objects, firearms, finishers, etc. etc. Highly recommended.

hero

36. Townscaper (Xbox Cloud Gaming) | 3 Oct - 0.5 hrs | 7/10
A game I admittedly played mostly because it was available on xCloud/gamepass, with a time to beat of only 30 minutes, and because I'm a few weeks behind at least in the challenge. Went in completely blind, but honestly in my blitz through the achievements I found the game to be super charming. So simple, and yet I can see myself easily spending a good amount of time in it. Will probably end up coming back to this even if I technically "completed it" and will try to actually scape a worthy town

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Finished up with August. Main post through here.

September (48/52)
46. The Last of Us Part 1 - PS5 - 12 hours, 52 minutes
47. Splatoon 3 - Switch - 11 hours
48. Beacon Pines - Xbox Series X - 4 hours, 37 minutes

Moving along at a steady pace. There are a lot of games coming out in between now and the year's end that I plan to get, so I should cruise to the big 52 pretty easily barring unforeseeable disaster.

October (50/52)
49. A Plague Tale: Requiem - Xbox Series X - 15 hours, 31 minutes
50. Resident Evil Village: Shadow or Rose - PS5 - 2 hours, 45 minutes

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #67 - Astalon Tears of the Earth
Time: 16 hours
Platform: Switch
Rating: ★★★★★

Another one that completely lives up to the hype, this ended up being easily one of the best Metroidvanias around, easily up there wiht the greats, and easily (that's a lot of easilies) one of my favorite games this year. Maybe the best level/puzzle design I remember playing in a mvania (I would have to think about it, its up there tho), which makes up for the short comings in combat/gameplay (its completely fine, it's just that by emulating the 8bit era, it also emulates some of the 8bit era gameplay which lacks the finess of something like HK for example), the visuals are great for what it's going for and there are so many secrets and optional areas to go to I ended up getting 100% items and map just to get the real ending, which I very rarely do. Amazing game and a must play for fans of the genre.

Main Post

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

August
49. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Switch) | 12th August - 95 hours | 4.5/5 : Good gameplay, great characters, good story. Only part that I felt was weaker were the environments compared to XC 1 & 2. Also, Heroes > Blades
50. AI: The Somnium Files (PC) | 22nd August - 14.6 hours | 3.5/5 : Story was fine, but the Somniums themselves were not intuitive to go through and made me enjoy it less
51. Spiritfarer (PC) | 29th August - 33.8 hours | 4.5/5 : A replay since I beat it originally on the Switch. I wanted to try the extra content that came out and was not disappointed. Still an amazingly cozy game

September
52. Hell Pie (PC) | 5th September - 9.1 hours | 3/5 : I was actually really hoping I'd enjoy this more than I did. The aerial movements were great, but overall the setting and jank kinda took me out of it
53. Steins;Gate (PC) | 29th September - 23.7 hours | 4/5 : The first 5 chapters were not enough to keep my attention, but once Chapter 6 hit I was hooked on the story. I don't like the Chunni parts of Okabe though, that was annoying

Another 52 down!

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
Apologies for the wall of text, but I've just finished a little mini-project I've been chipping away at since January - most of the Cotton series.

oT59ZgF.png

33. Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams (1991/2021, Switch) ★★☆☆☆
The first Cotton game is a somewhat generic horizontal shoot-'em-up starring a little witch battling her way through 7 stages of fantasy creatures (evil trees, dragons, etc.) in search of… candy. For its time it does some occasionally impressive graphical work. I've never even seen a Sharp X68000, so I have a hard time contextualising it relative to the platform's overall output, but the slightly dark, cartoony look goes a long way. Unfortunately, much of the game is an unremarkable obstacle course buoyed mostly by visual charm.

5NIxNpu.png

34. Märchen Adventure: Cotton 100% (1994/2021, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Cotton's second outing is a partial retread of her first adventure. The lava stage in particular feels like a clone at times, but there are some cool bosses here like the possessed doll, a very anime final boss, and a mirror match with Cotton herself. The mirror stage feels like some technical wizardry on Super Famicom, faking real-time reflections, and foreshadowing its arc. The visuals are brighter here and veer further into Halloween decorations territory, but it works, and isn't encumbered by as much slowdown as other SNES shoot-'em-ups.

aN3MTkb.png

35. Panorama Cotton (1994/2021, Switch) ★★☆☆☆
A slight departure from the formula reinvents Cotton as a Space Harrier-style rail shooter on Genesis. The overall result is mixed: it's easily among the most impressive 16-bit rail shooters, featuring gorgeous graphics, only moderate slow down, lots of colours, occasionally slick scene progressions, and even voice acting.
The big, expressive sprites come at a cost though: Cotton herself simply gets in the way of where you want to aim, and can manufacture blind corners if you position her wrong. Depth perception is difficult to read at times, too. Another disappointment: the art style departs some of its Halloween decoration trappings in favour of exoticised depictions of several cultures. This includes a dubious depiction of a stereotypical Middle-Eastern mini-boss, and one stage end boss is simply a racist caricature of a Black man.

yJEF7xN.png

36. Cotton 2: Magical Night Dreams (1997/2021, Switch) ★★☆☆☆
City Connection's Saturn Tribute collection brought a functional Saturn emulator to modern systems, and Cotton 2 was first to get ported. Upon launch it apparently suffered significant input lag, but it feels fine post-patch. Both the Saturn and Arcade versions look great, with polygonal elements sprinkled between solid 2D spritework. Cotton herself moves slower than I'd like, and combined with the not readily visible hitbox, some bullet spreads become tricky to dodge between.
This means playing it like a traditional shoot 'em up is impractical: the game wants you to learn its fighting game style button inputs (double tap for speed boosts, hadouken inputs for stronger fireballs, etc.), as well as its grab mechanic which lets you catch enemies and throw them back out to achieve chain combos. Frankly, this is all a little more complex than I'd like. Yes, it sharply elevates the skill ceiling, and makes score chasing much more involved. But barring the last two stages, neither the levels nor the inconsequential (untranslated) story are interesting enough to make me want to commit to learning all the ins and outs hidden under the hood.

Sk5zswy.png

37. Cotton Boomerang: Magical Night Dreams (1998/2021, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Leaner, meaner iteration on Cotton 2. The fighting game style inputs are now doable with a single button press, the story has been reduced to a single screen next to stage-end scoring, and levels are overhauled to allow for more bullets. By stripping back the eccentricities Boomerang becomes perhaps more predictable, but also more focused. I would have preferred to play runs as a single character, rather than sets of 3, and the last stage has some bullet visibility issues. But by and large this was the best Cotton game of the classic era.

LJ75lt3.png

38. Cotton Reboot! (2021, Switch) ★★★★☆
Remake of the first game from 1991, which takes the opportunity to inject some welcome changes. Cotton's hitbox is now visible at all times, reducing confusion about when you're about to be hit, while also allowing them to up the bullet count since you can snake through shots easier. Gems are still present, but now refract your beams, introducing a risk-reward wager to leaving gems uncollected as long as possible to increase your firepower. The all-new Hyper ability slots in neatly along this design paradigm, showering the screen in huge multipliers and bonuses which partially obscure incoming fire – further upping the risk-reward nature. Some enemies do lose a bit of menace in this cuter art style, and it's still shackled to the original level design and story, but overall this is a clever remake, reviving the series with modern sensibilities in mind.

Gx3eimd.png

39. Cotton Fantasy: Superlative Night Dreams a.k.a. Cotton Rock 'N' Roll (2021/2022, Switch) ★★☆☆☆
What is meant as a series celebration, incorporating elements of all 8 previous games, winds up as a slightly forced office surprise party. Sure, it ticks all the boxes, but the entire affair has a disappointing hollowness to it.
Prime example are the rail shooter stages, an obvious homage to Panorama Cotton and Rainbow Cotton, which feature here as glorified bonus stages without a single foe to shoot down. Why even bother at that point? It's obvious these only exist to serve as past references. Similarly, the game goes to great effort to include characters and stages from Cotton 2 and Boomerang, but their presence mostly highlights the lackluster new bosses and somewhat generic new level themes.
A new addition is the cross-overs with other franchises. After guest-starring in Umihara Kawase BaZooka, Cotton gets to play host to the sushi chef this time, whose capture mechanic fits like a glove as iteration on Cotton 2. A less obvious addition comes in the form of Psyvariar Delta's ship, the bullet graze mechanics of which translate surprisingly well into Cotton's measured moments of bullet hell. These guest appearances are fun, but Psyvariar's accompanying stages mesh poorly with Cotton's already patchworky aesthetics.
Likewise, the presence of 6 characters with subtly different play styles is great, but there's only a single story to go around. Understandable in terms of not ballooning the production values, but this means the game cannot account for a storyline in which the villain fights herself in a series of mirror matches. Truthfully the game would be best served by excising the story entirely, as it's easily the series' worst yet, something the way too long (but thankfully skippable) cut-scenes and chirpy voice acting only further emphasize.

The biggest disappointment is how the gameplay ignores some progress made in last year's Cotton Reboot!. Where that game was always crystal-clear about indicating your hitbox, here some character sprites can partially obscure it, and the game curiously defaults to a confusingly labeled setting where it's not always displayed. Cotton Fantasy also eschews Reboot!''s chief innovation of gems refracting your shots. This was a great feature, because it made you choose between collecting gems, or leaving them uncollected to increase your damage output. In Fantasy, gems once again block outgoing fire, meaning you need to either collect or avoid them. With some stages basically demanding you use the homing lasers to cover incoming foes from behind, this results in the age-old shmup sin of counter-intuitively needing to avoid power-ups.
None of these complaints are deal breakers, and the game is perfectly competent (albeit very forgettable) in isolation. In context of the series however, it's frustrating to conclude last year's success isn't iterated upon. There's a real quantity over quality approach to this one, which partially smothers the series' recent progress, and reduces Cotton to an annoying guest star in her own game.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
42 - Tunic - PS5 - 12 hours / 7th October - 8/10
Tunic is a great game with lovely graphics and a retro atmosphere that hits you right in the feels. Some of the directions the game takes are really unexpected and quite dark. I love all the secrets as well, they're fun to figure out and the digital manual is a stroke of genius, The final section where you have to go back to previous areas to get "some things" back is really tedious though and 2 of the boss fights are incredibly hard and frustrating. These 2 problems are the only reason why it's not a 10/10 in my eyes. A slight tweak to the difficulty curve of "the scavenger' and 'the heir' and less backtracking would have made it a perfect little game.

Sillen2000

Oct 1, 2019
Main Post

August update: 38/52

oRVLR37.jpg

38. August 28th | Xenoblade Chronicles 3 | Switch | 183h 33m | ☆☆☆☆½(/5)

Long game good

:)

No, but seriously; this is a fantastic game (and very long), definitely my game of the year so far. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (also known as the third Xenoblade Chronicles game among those who did the right thing and forgot all about the Wii U and its games) is not perfect, but it does so many things so extremely right or maybe just in a way that speaks to my freakish tastes that it all comes together as something truly special. It also lets you fight enemies while swimming and switching between characters during battles, so it's obviously the best game yet in the franchise.

It's still the Xenoblade we all know and love with the sprawling locations, GOAT tier exploration, very large apes in starting areas, battle quotes that are repeated over and over again about a million times throughout the game, a fantastic soundtrack, plus a hefty amount of actually really well earned pathos plus extremely messy writing here and there, but where 3 really differs, in my mind at least, is in how unlike with the previous two games in the series, you're really playing yourself by only doing the main story. I assume it's still a good time even then, with the strongest character writing in the series and especially chapter 5 which as a whole should just be put in the hall of fame of absolutely fantastic JRPG segments, and has one of the few moments in gaming where I've gotten choked up a bit, and just had to take a bit of time to take everything in when the chapter ended. But it does also peak right there, and after that the writing becomes noticeably worse, and the entire final chapter outside of the actual ending is honestly pretty bad, while also reinforcing how uninteresting every single villain in the game is when compared to the second game's Torna. This pretty weak climax, by far the weakest among these three games, probably soured a lot of people on the experience as a whole, but having spent an ungodly amount of time with this game and its side content, I really don't think the destination is even close to being as important as the journey.

Not to sound philosophical or, like, smart or anything, but that's also because the journey sort of is the destination. This is of course a game with a beginning, a middle and an end where things happen and stakes are raised and maybe you fight a god or something similar by the end, but it's also just about appreciating life and the time you're given on this world, and so much of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is just that, and in a way that I'm not really used to in other games. Open world games with a large amount of side content isn't new, but I don't think I've played a game that manages to incorporate just helping other people in various ways in such a way that it actually feels like it's almost the main content. It is sort of a Death Stranding situation, I guess, with Noah and his scooby gang sort of connecting colonies with each other and enabling them to do what the actually want rather than just fight (or letting them fight if that's what they want!), and learning more about What It Means To Be Human™ and breaking free from very strict societal norms to be who they want to be. The writing in these side quests can certainly be messy or even downright bad at times (just what the hell was up with Ashera's Ascension quest, for example (best hero otherwise, of course)), just like the main quest, but considering the amount of quests it's astonishing how good the writing is for the most part, and how involved I got with a lot of the intricacies of the different colonies and their leaders' woes.

And I completely get just wanting to get through it. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a long game no matter how you play it, and not everyone has the time or interest to spend 183 hours on single a game (I promise I usually don't want to do that either!). However, I really do think skipping most of the quests does make for a much lesser experience, and an experioence that while it does have very clear themes, it doesn't always clearly make clever use of them within its main story and when it does bring them up, it can occasionally be a bit too on the nose. When just traversing the world, however, not really caring all that much about making tangible progress but rather taking these very long treks throughout the beautiful world and having time to contemplate a whole lot, doing side quests here and there, and picking up conversation topics to let your party talk about around the campfire to learn more about some weird lore, it does grow into a much better rumination on life and what it should be about. It's meaning, if you will. It does of course help that the party is one of the most charmingly written bunch of characters I've had the pleasure of playing as (with Eunie obviously being the highlight), which makes the fact that there's so much dialogue for all of them during the side quests almost enough reward for me to want to complete them, but it's also that all this time spent on, honestly, pretty pointless things that can feel pretty game-y at the start later grow into something bigger as you do more and more of them, seeing how the colonies and their inhabitants gradually change throughout the entire game to the point where they're actually able do what they want with the time they have left of their very limited 10 years. Sure, it's a bit simplistic at times, but it really works thanks to strong character writing even for the most minor of NPCs and how it all, at least eventually, ties into the main theme of the game in a fantastic way, making a lot of the quests feel rewarding without having to give the player a lot of tangible rewards all the time.

Also have to say that this is one of few games that I can think of that tackles the fear of death, and it might honestly just be because Mio's sad face is one of the saddest faces I've ever seen on a video game character (shout-outs to this game's incredible cutscene direction and animations, by the way), but her struggling with how close she is to her 10 years being up is so well done and not at all exaggerated in a way that I feel like most JRPGS would depict it as. In a game full of great character writing, this was probably the highlight to me. It's not just Mio feeling this way, of course, and it's handled in a pretty interesting way with a side character introduced later in the game as well, but her anxiety filled moments of existentialism are probably my favorite moments in the story. Now that I think about it, all of the characters have these different issues they struggle with during the game and they're all handled in a respectful, very serious way, like Taion and Eunie's fear of dying in battle, and Sena who struggles with the writers forgetting that she exists for most of the game.

Guess I should probably mention the music too. As many others have said, the themes for the different areas, while good, isn't really anywhere close to 2 or 1's quality which is a bit disappointing, but at the same time, I'm pretty sure Xenoblade 3 has my favorite soundtrack otherwise, though they're all fantastic so it's hard to say. The battle themes alone would make this the soundtrack of the year, but both the very clearly Mitsuda composed songs are honestly pretty breathtaking and somehow trumps 2's also great equivalents (though not sure about 1's Beyond the Sky, which might still be my favorite song in the entire series). Melia's theme being a sort of mash-up between Eryth Sea and Alcamoth is... like, it's so good, guys.

I also played the game on hard, by the way. Not sure how big the difference is between that and normal, but it at least made defeating some of the unique monsters extremely satisfying. I should also probably have mentioned how this game has a pretty involved job system or how the chain attacks somehow drag but are also hype as hell every time you use them (once again, this game has an incredible soundtrack), but it is what it is.

So yeah, long game good and Eunie's the böss. Lanz wants something a bit meatier, probably.

:)

(english voice acting very good as well)

Soundtrack highlight
A Step Away

Currently playing:
Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
Steins;Gate Elite (Switch)
Bloodborne (PS4)

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
68. Beacon Pines ★★★

Beacon Pines opts for an interesting story structure, designed around reaching its full conclusion via running into all the other ends en route, abrupt ends, joke ends, sad ends, bad ends (mostly that one). Eventually piecing together a whole story and the mystery behind the titular Beacon Pines, it's not anything I haven't seen before in a game conceptually (I've played 999 and VLR for instance).

The hook is that you find and unlock words you can use to change story events at crucial junctures, it's a cool concept...in theory.
In reality this is a choose your own adventure saga where you never really have much choice, or at least when you do get more than two options it tends to not really go anywhere outside the "right" option. In the end it does unfold in a rather linear progression with a few areas where you'll be jumping around based on your own whims, despite the fact that there are words to be found during exploration gameplay, I'm not sure any of these tend to factor majorly into branching paths (I swear they're mainly for the optional fishing segment), those important words ones are kinda thrust upon you so you wont hit dead ends.
So in the end the whole words gimmick falls rather flat, it never really feels like helping tell the story based on your own ideas/preferences.

So the game's a dud? nope, it's still worthwhile and tells an enjoyable story with nice writing, endearing characters, some strong moments, all wrapped in a pleasing storybook artstyle of anthro animals. The classic case of a perfect gamepass game, doesn't overstay its welcome while packing a lot into its relatively short runtime.
As usual with these kinda games it's kinda hard to say much else because OMG SPOILERS, but if you're up for a story focused game that toes between mysterious and serene with a few creepy (but not scary) moments, this is a solid pick.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
56: The Messenger. End: 10/10/2022. (4 out of 5)

I have the same thoughts as I did last year, so I'll just quote myself.

6: The Messenger. End: 2/3/2021. (4/5)

This is an interesting game as it starts off as a very deliberate homage to the NES Ninja Gaiden games before transitioning into a Metroidvania about halfway through. Something like this probably shouldn't work, but I found myself having a good time.

Deleted member 32615

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
647d0c2386d46d28980edbd4d5955d49.jpg

Game 16: Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Nintendo Switch) (10 Hours) (3/5) (October 14th, 2022)
Kirby is a series that for the better part of the last decade has suffered from a lack of new ideas that evolve the series, with many titles instead focusing on gimmicks that are fun but merely aim to slightly change a pretty overused formula. The idea of a 3D Kirby platformer has been floated on the internet for a long time, and now it's finally here the question is why they didn't do it sooner. If you're like me, you probably were not fond of Kirby Star Allies, a really generic platformer that failed to differentiate itself from other games in the series, I believe Nintendo realised this because this drastic change the series needed finally arrived. Kirby has become a series that uses it's slow paced and easy gameplay to create atmospheric levels and that has felt like it has been held back by it's 2D roots for a long time now and The Forgotten Land proves that. These big beautiful levels with secrets hidden throughout feel more alive in comparison to previous games. The game encourages use of Kirby's copy abilities to interact with the world in such a fun way and really expands on the ideas with the new "Mouthful abilities". By giving Kirby the ability to control larger objects with new abilities the world really opens up and levels often include uses of multiple different mouthful abilities keeping levels fresh. Kirby's base copy abilities now can be upgraded in the games hub-world, meaning that copy abilities you might not like the first time around all of a sudden can be fresh and interesting with a couple of upgrades. Some of the copy abilities also translate so much better to 3D rather than 2D (Such as the Ice and Fire abilities) that going back to the old 2D versions feels wrong

The game is amazing but suffers from not going too far in it's innovation and uniqueness. You will have used all of the mouthful abilities by about the halfway point in the game and in the finale when there is another new ability it really makes you aware how little new ones you got in the latter half of the game. The games hub world/town also feels very underdone with not much depth. I'm also not a fan of how many challenge levels there are, they're all optional but in the quest to get all of the copy abilities to their full level it can get quite tedious

It's an amazing game, it's the best Kirby game by a country mile, but I almost wish it did more.

Original Post

Last edited:

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN POST

Quick Updates:
master55.png

master60.png

• Tinkin- Fun little platformer from start to finish. The game does repeat itself a little to much by the end
  • Yakuza Black Panther - More down to earth Yakuza story, with really tense and gritty battles. Mini games are the big miss compared to regular series.
  • Arc The Lad- Good base for rest of series. More cinematic then I expected. Definitely rough around the edges
  • Crash 4 - Might be the best in the series. Ton of great content that will keep you coming back for more.
  • The Quarry - Suppermassive return to grace. Great atmosphere and performances. Animations can be a let down on occasion.
  • Kirby & The Forgotten Land - It reminded me of playing Kirbys Adventure as a kid. I loved this game from start to finish.
  • Metroid Dread - Not fond of this game which I went over in greater detail in the discord. Bad controls, very linear map design (Actually had a massive world but you are always funneled down small area to next part of story), almost every boss is copy and paste from the last. Big disappointment sadly.
  • Live a Live- Really unique JRPG that is able to explore some unique lands, tell some dark stories an do it all at a very brisk pace (Total play time 22 hours)
  • Kena: Bridge of Spirits -Really impressed. Fantastic boss fights, phenomenal OST & fun world to poke around in. Didn't expect to love it as much as I did.
  • Little Nightmares - Great atmosphere and played from start to finish in one sitting. Areas 3 & 4 are fantastic. Sad it was so short (sub 3 hours).

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
ZdkjcU1.jpg

#41 Killzone Liberation - PSP - 7 hours - 6.0
Had this game way back when and was always fond of it, just never finished. And no shit I didn't finish it, this game is hard as hell. I like the way it plays some little control issues aside but the difficulty ramps up way too much in the end of the game so it just gets frustrating. Almost a great game.

#42 Torchlight (Replay) - Xbox - 6 hours - 7.0
Played this before on PC but downloaded the xbox version on a whim as it was free and was nicely surprised that it controls and plays really well, 60fps too! Very simple Diablo clone and pretty much everything is improved in the sequel but it's a likeable game with nice vibes

#43 Kaze and the Wild Masks - Xbox - 6 hours - 7.5
Was really in the mood for a 2d platformer and had heard this DKC inspired game was good, and yeah, it's pretty good. Tight controls, decent challenge and looks way better in motion than in screenshots.

#44 Hell Pie - Xbox - 7:30 hours - 7.5
The main mechanic Hell Pie has going for it is the swinging, which is pretty fun especially once you're upgraded a bit. I wish it had been a little more challenging with the platforming as you could design some pretty tricky stuff around the swinging but it's fairly chill. It's got it's fair share of jank, and the framerate is unbeliveable at times, on a series S, to the point I think it must be a bug. I'm talking framerates in the teens

#45 What Remains of Edith Finch - Xbox - 2 hours - 8.0
Not my type of game usually but I liked this one a lot. The individual stories are creative and memorable and maybe the conclusion felt a tiny bit unsatisfying, it's the journey that counts right

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I did it y'all, beat my third game of the year lol.

3: Cult of the Lamb.

Give this bad boy a 5/10. Good style but ultimately a super shallow game.

RMChoodie

Dec 27, 2021
American in Costa Rica
1. Yakuza Like A Dragon (XSX) JAN 3- 123 HOURS AND 45 MINUTES 9/10
2. The Forgotten City (XSX) JAN 22- 13 HOURS AND 48 MINUTES 9/10
3. Hitman( 2016) (XSX) FEB 4 68 HOURS AND 22 MINUTES 9/10
4. It Takes Two (PS5) FEB 8 14 HOURS 12 MINUTES 4/10
5. Hitman 2 (XSX) MAR 22 45 HOURS AND 38 MINUTES 8/10
6. Unpacking (XSX) APR 7 6 HOURS AND 17 MINUTES 6/10
7. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS5) APR 18 76 HOURS AND 49MINUTES 8/10
8. FarCry 5 (XSX) APR 26 53 HOURS AND 29 MINUTES 8/10
9. FarCry 5 Hours of Darkness (XSX) MAY 1 3 HOURS AND 12 MINUTES 4/10
10.FarCry 5 Lost on Mars (XSX) MAY 6 3 HOURS AND 26 MINUTES 5/10
11.FarCry 5 Dead Living Zombies (XSX) MAY 8 4 HOURS AND 17 MINUTES 3/10
12.Life Is Strange True Colors (XSX) MAY 29 12 HOURS AND 41 MINUTES 4/10
13.Horizon Zero Dawn The Frozen Wilds (PS5) MAY 30 10 HOURS AND 11 MINUTES 6/10
14.Trek To Yomi (XSX) JUNE 18 8 HOURS AND 19 MINUTES 4/10
15.Greedfall (XSX) JUNE 27 49 HOURS AND 50 MINUTES 6/10
16.Assasin's Creed Origins The Hidden Ones (PS5) JULY 6 7 HOURS AND 35 MINUTES 7/10
17.MLB The Show 22 (XSX) JULY 9 80 HOURS And 7 MINUTES 9/10
18.Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shredder's Revenge (XSX) JULY 10 13 HOURS AND 21 MINTUES 8/10
19.Sonic The Hedgehog (XSX) JULY 10 3HOURS AND 36 MINUTES 4/10
20.Citizen Sleeper (XSX) JULY 23 10 HOURS AND 21 MINUTES 9/10
21.Assassin's Creed Origins Curse Of The Pharoahs (PS5) JULY 25 12 HOURS 8/10
22.The Quarry (XSX) AUG 14 18 HRS AND 29 MINUTES 5/10
23.The Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe (PS5) 14 HOURS AND 12 MINUTES 8/10
24.Immortality (XSX) SEP 6 10 HRS AND 4 MINUTES 9/10
25 Tiny Tina Wonderlands (XSX) SEP 12 26 HOURS AND 17 MINUTES 7/10
26.Two Point Campus (XSX) SEP 18 96 HOURS AND1 MINUTE 7/10
27.Assasin's Creed Vahalla OCT 11 121 HOURS AND 29 MINUTES 8/10
NEEDED TO UPDATE SINCE August
22.The Quarry (XSX) AUG 14 18 HRS AND 29 MINUTES 5/10
23.The Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe (PS5) 14 HOURS AND 12 MINUTES 8/10
24.Immortality (XSX) SEP 6 10 HRS AND 4 MINUTES 9/10
25.Tiny Tina Wonderlands (XSX) SEP 12 26 HOURS AND 17 MINUTES 7/10
26Two Point Campus (XSX) SEP 18 96 HOURS AND1 MINUTE 7/10
27.Assasin's Creed Vahalla OCT 11 121 HOURS AND 29 MINUTES 8/10

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
57: Splatoon 3. End: 10/15/2022. (4 out of 5)

It's more Splatoon. For the purposes of this challenge, I am talking about beating the game's single player campaign. And it has an enjoyable campaign. But it doesn't really push forward anything new. It's a refinement of ideas from Splatoon 2.

Now to spend more time in the multiplayer.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
43 - Weird West - PS5 - 25 hours / 20th October - 9/10
I didn't expect much from this game and I was pleasantly surprised. The far-distance 3rd person shooting felt really satisfying and the stealth was the best feeling one since dishonoured. The 5 entertained stories you go through were ly well written and I loved being able to go back and add my previous avatars into my posse as I went. The ending was great as well with a recap of everything I did and the consequences it had in the world. There are so many ways the game can go and you really affect the world around you based on your decisions. My only criticisms is that the special skills and abilities were underwhelming. Buying better guns was more effective than trying to use the unique abilities of each character in the end.

Deleted member 32615

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
effdc5f31cf7e225a8e8179f4df2efce.jpg

Game 17: God Of War (PS4) (15 Hours) (4/5) (October 21st, 2022)
Thunderous, cinematic and tantalizingly interesting. The world of God of War is so much more interesting this time around with the game telling a gripping story and showcasing some amazing feeling gameplay

I'm a bit late to the party in finishing this, but I had to before Ragnarok came out. I did get annoyed by the lack of variety in sub bosses and the lack of numbers in terms of bosses, and there were some real slow parts to puzzle solving that slowed the game down, but overall the game is brilliant and I can't wait for the sequel

Original Post

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
44 - The Medium - PS5 - 10 hours / 22nd October - 8/10
After seeing the middling reviews on release, I'd held out on playing this game and I was pleasantly surprised when I actually really enjoyed it. It's nothing groundbreaking but the story is intriguing enough and I loved the art style. I was so hooked I pretty much finished it in one sitting. The gameplay is nothing to write home about, it's basically simple versions of the resident evil puzzles with some interesting uses of the 2 dimensions. The only annoyance we're the stealth sections running away from the monsters. These weren't really necessary and added nothing to the experience.

45 - Crash Bandicoot 4 - PS5 - 35 hours / 22nd October - 6/10
I really loved the first half of the game but it's way too long and gets far too hard by the end. It stops being fun when it takes me over 100 lives to complete 1 level… true story.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
46 - Judgment: Kaito files - PS5 - 10 hours / 23rd October - 8/10
This DLC was a lot meatier than I expected and the main story was really interesting and the new characters well written. It was fun to play as Kaito with his more brutal style of combat.

6 to go!
Currently trying to finish Cyberpunk 2077 and Return to Monkey Island before GoW: Ragnarok hits.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
COMPLETED 52/52

Notes: I'm currently playing Marvel Snap and Overwatch 2 (and a bit of Legends of Runeterra), but neither of those has been counted yet. Sonic Origins was added as 1 game and not as multiple entries (just because of a personal preference). I don't count expansions (e.g. Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear) as a game.

Sorry, but I'll just add screenshots of backloggd (Highly recommended) tracking website. I thoroughly keep track of every game I played this year, including hours and days when I started/finished playing a game.

((I don't mind following the standard list format, outlined in the OP. But since I see quite a lot of people not using it, I don't see the point of it. But if I must, I will use it. Just ask))

I can't recommend backloggd.com enough. It's a nice tracking website, you can display your collection in a clear and visual way, has a lot of tracking features. Plus, the developer is active in discord and constantly listens to feedback.

www.backloggd.com

Backloggd - A Video Game Collection Tracker

Keep a virtual backlog of your video game collection, then rate and review the ones you've played to share with your friends!

Wozzer ❤️ please

Last edited:

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD

65master.png

Quick Update:
  • NMH III: If you enjoy other Suda51 games, you will enjoy NMH III. Travis's 3rd outing leads to some fun battles and fantastic boss fights
  • R&C Rift Apart: Plays great, looks great, sounds great, feels great. What more can you ask from a game. Absolutely loved it start to finish.
  • CoJ: Gunslinger: Not played a FPS in a while. Was a fun short game that filled that void. Liked how the story played into the levels.
  • Vampire Survivors: 100% achievments. First 25 hours I was hooked. While the main gameplay loop is great, once you "Get it" you cannot loose and can finish most levels setting down the controller at the midway point between levels.
  • Turnip Boy: A short, really comical game. The humor carries this from start to finish.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
COMPLETED 52/52

Notes: I'm currently playing Marvel Snap and Overwatch 2 (and a bit of Legends of Runeterra), but neither of those has been counted yet. Sonic Origins was added as 1 game and not as multiple entries (just because of a personal preference). I don't count expansions (e.g. Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear) as a game.

Sorry, but I'll just add screenshots of backloggd (Highly recommended) tracking website. I thoroughly keep track of every game I played this year, including hours and days when I started/finished playing a game.

((I don't mind following the standard list format, outlined in the OP. But since I see quite a lot of people not using it, I don't see the point of it. But if I must, I will use it. Just ask))

I can't recommend backloggd.com enough. It's a nice tracking website, you can display your collection in a clear and visual way, has a lot of tracking features. Plus, the developer is active in discord and constantly listens to feedback.

www.backloggd.com

Backloggd - A Video Game Collection Tracker

Keep a virtual backlog of your video game collection, then rate and review the ones you've played to share with your friends!

Wozzer ❤️ please
Congrats on the 52! It'll be easier for Wozzer to keep track if you send a PM to him. Using backloggd (which I agree, is an excellent site) as a reference for completing the challenge is fine, but for others reading the thread, it's typically easier if you use text directly in a post.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

02_slicedice-1024x422.jpg

30. Slice and Dice
Completed a full run on normal mode. This game is really hard. Normal mode is brutal and I don't know how many runs I went through before RNG was on my side. Still this is a lot of fun to pick up and play for a few minutes. There are no ads, no mtx and for $10 the full game unlocks. Plus the developer seems to be constantly updating the game. It's pretty enjoyable.

2x1_NSwitch_XenobladeChronicles3_image1600w.jpg

31. Xenonblade Chronicles 3
This is the game that's been clotting up my queue with its absolutely bloated size. A good team could probably trim this game down by half and you'd get a much more refined experience. When it comes to Takahashi I can be a bit blunt. I think he's far too obsessed with the one story idea that it gets in the way of doing something more creative and interesting. Still, despite my jaded heart, I enjoyed this? It's juvenile and far too simple in its messages but I felt like a mother watching her kids play make believe in the park; you can't help but smile at the antics.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
oh right. i hit 52 games this year:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2022.

I'll join in this year! I can't imagine I'll break 52 games, but it I get into the mid 20s I'll be really happy. I'll be even happier if most of them come out of my backlog. Total Completions: 9 Completions Goal: 25 Currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Switch) It Takes...

well, so far there have been a couple great games from 2022. namely, neon white stands apart from everything else, scratching a gameplay itch for first-person platformers that's been there for half a decade (i liked mirror's edge catalyst just fine, thank you).

the stanley parable ultra deluxe had me feeling ways about things. splatoon 3 had a really satisfying single-player campaign too.

a lot of my backlog was cleared off. there's about 25 games now, but it's still about a year of playtime if i spend two hours a day on those. these are mostly rpgs and visual novels. it's really difficult to devote that level of energy to those these days. not present in this list is nintendo switch sports. i'll tack it on at the end of the year so i'm not constantly updating the hours played.

speaking of the backlog - valkyria chronicles ii might be my biggest surprise there. because the gameplay was pretty snappy and the game was a lot more inviting than what i would have expected out of a psp game from over a decade ago. i also kinda hate valkyria chronicles 4 so that added to it. the absolute best game i played was rez infinite. rez was a ps2 game i'd had for years. i'd played it once or twice, and didn't really get it. then i just gave it some time on ps5 and it all clicked. sublime. hits all those notes just right the way tetris effect and lumines did (pun not intended). mizuguchi is a genius.

was also fond of the experiences through 90s rpg-land. the mega man legends games, tales of phantasia, and the first two arc the lad games were fun to see what was considered a major triple-a game back in their respective times.

finally the cowabunga collection was what put me over the edge. i'd sure played the hell out of those arcade games, but i never beat them. and i never ever touched the game boy games. while i might not have rated them high, they were short enough that i felt satisfied with my time. they also raised my appreciation for shredder's revenge, which is just the absolute best kind of turtles brawler you could hope for.