Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
33 | Crazy Plant Shop
PC | July 02 | 9 h | 3.5/5
zp5vTlF.jpg

I vaguely remember playing this game years ago; Steam said it was back in 2014.

I want to play more plant games, even though I have living plants (lol). I didn't have any achievements and it scratched the plant shop itch. It was very educational in a fun way. The game teaches you basic biology and genes by breeding whimsical plants. It even has a dictionary for the terms and English pronunciation. One playthrough took me about three hours. That's a good amount without being overly repetitive. You earn new plants by selling them to the townsfolk. The art is adorable, like a storybook.

It's a fun game; however, it could use some polish. The voice acting isn't the best but the volume needed improvement. Some characters are loud while others are difficult to hear. The dictionary is a neat tool but it didn't help me with the contest guy's request. I wished that was explained better in the game with a visual; instead I had to look through Steam's discussions because my non-science brain couldn't figure out what the guy wanted in a plant. The game is casual and relaxing. Until you attempt the Workhorse achievement. Then it's stressful and reliant on RNG. It made the gameplay frustrating.

Overall, Crazy Plant Shop is probably the most fun I had learning biology.

34 | Game Dev Tycoon
PC | July 04 | 11 h | 3/5
YFbzT1N.jpg

Another simulation game, where I manage a business, I played briefly in 2014. I see my video game taste hasn't changed much.

The gameplay has much more depth than Crazy Plant Shop. You create games based on audience, genre, topic, and engines. Then you decide how to spend your time on the game. Do you add more to Level Design than Sound? What about Graphics, etc? You have the freedom to create unique games. The game does play on a timeline, where certain systems are only available for a specific time. That adds to the fun and challenge.

You can hire game designers for your studio and give out training. That opens more options for the development stages.

The gameplay does get repetitive since you're doing one thing: creating video games. I didn't attempt a second playthrough for the remaining achievements. I think I received what I could from the game. Nothing against the game at all; just my personal feeling. It is hilarious to see what kind of games give you the best score.

35 | Lines Infinite
PC | July 06 | 11 h | 5/5
z9kJ8Le.jpg

A puzzle game focused on one type of puzzle: Numberlink! You connect numbers on a grid without crossing any lines. That's it. That's the game.

I enjoy these types of puzzles so I bought this 52 cent game. Absolute steal! It has 99 unique levels, plus an infinite mode. That mode seems to randomly generate levels and they were easier to complete.

The game's visuals are easier to see than my black and white photo. The numbers are different colors to help you differentiate. The music is okay, calming. Or you can mute it to play your own in the background. Plus you can change the background's color. I can't complain about anything for this one. It's exactly what I wanted and it had a ton of content for a cheap price.

36 | Subnautica
PS5 | July 06 | 34 h | 4/5
iaQe1CY.jpg

I somehow knew extremely little about Subnautica. I was aware it's underwater and had some crafting. Lobotomaxx had it so I gave it a shot.

First off on positives, the atmosphere is astounding. The different biomes. The creature designs. The sound design; it's all magic. The world feels alive. Crashing sounds from the waves, geysers erupting, and creatures howling. All this ties into a wonderful, although creepy at times, world to explore. I wasn't expecting there to be story and lore. I thought, oh a survival game. But the story kept me going forward.

I think if I knew more about this game before I started, how much exploration and crafting is involved, I may not have started. I don't usually play survival games and honestly going underwater causes me anxiety. (So why I played this, I dunno. I heard really good things and it was free.) I was on edge at least half of the time I played. The empty, vast darkness, with unknown alien creatures...it was heart racing. The more I played, the less interested I was in crafting because I knew I had to venture out for material. I might have been more inclined to craft if I wasn't constantly ready to have a panic attack. I do know there is a creative mode. You can craft without having to focus on it. Sadly you don't get achievements on that mode so my brain chose completionist over safety. Thanks brain!

I think my only real negatives: I want to manually save on different slots, favorite inventory items, and having to rely on wiki. I wanted more slots because it is VERY easy to go somewhere and be trapped. Say you take a device and it runs out of power. Well, you saved over your one save slot and now you're trapped in the dark. With hostile enemies. And you can't see sh*t. Not anxiety inducing at all. I understand it's survival game and you should be prepared, but sometimes you don't know what's ahead and you wish you could go back to a save before you ventured off.

By relying on a wiki as a negative, I mean that it's too easy to miss a tiny upgrade/part in this VAST UNDERWATER PLANET. I wish we had something to point to upgrades. At times the game does a good job pointing you to a wreck to explore. But most of the time you're exploring this cursed water planet alone. No map. If you want a beacon, you have to craft one. I used the wiki a ton in the late game and even then I still had difficulty finding parts. I spent two hours looking for three measly pieces of nickle ore. (And yes I know the scanner room exists, but it doesn't help if it doesn't locate it.) By then I was so done with the game. I was tired of hunting for material back and forth to craft. My fault for getting achievements rather than play creative mode, I know that now.

It was worth the play. The story encouraged me to progress. The exploration was exciting but nightmare fuel. This game frightened me more effectively than many "horror" games I have played. Although it was (mostly) a good experience, I don't believe I'll play Below Zero. I don't need that anxiety in my life.

Main Post

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

w500pika9.jpg

20. Panzer Dragoon: Remake
Bad - ★☆☆☆ (1/4)

I was disappointed by Panzer Dragoon. I suppose it's possible that it could be in part due to the remake, but the truth of the matter is that I just honestly think it's not very good.

Now, in its intro cutscene it establishes a setting that's very different from the typical space shooters and the visual further communicate that setting, but then there's no storytelling in the game itself. Like, remember in Star Fox 64 how Star Wolf is hired to hunt you down, Pigma taunts Fox about his father's death, and later you might have a rematch with them where they seem to have parts of their bodies replaced by cybernetics? Those are events that occur; storytelling during the course of the levels. There isn't any of that in Panzer Dragoon.

The action is also not very good. The enemies are fairly sparse and not very aggressive, and when they do attack the main threats are that the camera is bad so it's hard to see. You have a button to rotate your camera 90 degrees around you, but enemies often float around between those angles so they're shoved in the side of your screen, and you can't dodge when you're not looking straight ahead so they can't really do anything that would require you to. There are sometimes even points in the level where nothing seems to happen and there isn't even anything to look at.

I did die exactly once during gameplay, but I don't think that suggests at it being the most challenging of games.

The Switch has a ton of shmups and the like available nowadays, so part of why I'm so negative about this one may be that I'm able to go point as Astebreed as something that offers some similar things while also being better at them. But even at the time, Panzer Dragoon came out after Starblade Alpha, which despite being much more simplistic is also more engaging in my opinion.

Main post

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
hero

21. TMNT Shredder's Revenge (XSX) | 1 July 7 - 3 hrs | 7.5/10
Some may be surprised at the relatively low score I gave this game. While I enjoyed it, ultimately the genre is just not one that I particularly gravitate towards or enjoy. It was a fun enough time to play through it with a few buddies online, but I don't really see myself going back to it. I also missed the turtles craze as a kid, and as such have no nostalgia for them, or real interest in TMNT personally.

capsule_616x353.jpg

22. Sniper Elite 5 (XSX) | 4 July - 22 hrs | 8.5/10
My surprise of the year so far, I hadn't played a Sniper Elite game since v2 back on the 360, and that game was a fairly linear affair, that was ultimately not my favorite. As a result I missed out on 3 and 4, and only played 5 because it was a day one drop onto Gamepass. Well I was quite surprised to find out that this game is basically a WW2 version of hitman crossed with MGSV, and not only that, it has one of the most interesting multiplayer mechanics I've played in a while. While the game still has a lot of the trappings of a WW2 shooter, and the story is dull enough that you'll want to skip it completely, I really loved the game overall, enough even to buy and play the DLC mission.

1920x1080_ForModule_S2KeyArt_CLEAN.jpg

23. Halo Infinite: Season 2 - Lone Wolves (XSX) | 9 July - 20 hrs | 8/10
Despite the amount of shit this game gets online, some rightly so, some not so much, it remains my favorite multiplayer shooter of the last several years. While the Lone Wolves season did not contain enough content for me to be fully satisfied, both new maps were great, and the new modes especially shined. I really enjoyed Land Grab, KoTH of course, and surprising me, most of all Last Spartan Standing. I do think the biggest issue is the time gap between seasons - if they can get it down to 3 months as they've said they want to it'll be perfect for me - as it stands I finished the season 2.5 months after it started, without excessive grinding, which is about perfect pacing once it's 3 months long. I also hope we get more sandbox items in Season 3, alongside maybe some of those hinted classic maps.

Griffin

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka
MAIN POST

p935672.jpg

#10 - Metroid Dread (Switch) -
★★★★☆

Metroid Dread was a long time coming, but it might just be my favourite 2D entry in the series. I think a lot of that comes down to just how nice it feels to control Samus. The movement is fluid and responsive; I know they're not exactly new additions, but having skipped Samus Returns, I thought the new moves like the parry and free aiming worked perfectly.

The fact that the controls work so well prevented me from feeling too frustrated whenever I died. And boy did I die a lot. The boss fights are a huge jump in difficulty, with attacks that can instantly deplete several of Samus' energy tanks (thankfully the tanks are not very well-hidden this time around). These fights were also the most enjoyable part of the game. Since there are always checkpoints close by, there's no need to backtrack to retry the boss fights (and the annoying EMMI sections). In fact, there's not much backtracking at all, with the game constantly pushing players towards new areas and upgrades. I never got lost or confused about what to do to progress, which is rare for a Metroid game. Though the game follows a linear path (which it hides much better than Fusion or Other M) I did miss a lot of items this first time around, so I'm definitely down for a replay at some point.

#11 - Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES) - ★★★☆☆

This was definitely the worst in the trilogy, but not a terrible game by any means. It just feels like Rare had run out of ideas after the second game, so the third piles on gimmick after gimmick. Swimming through poisonous water that reverses the controls, steering an elephant around rats, having a snowball fight against a giant snowman… the levels try out a lot of new concepts, but very few of them are actually that enjoyable.

It's also lacking any kind of cohesive visual style or theming, with redesigned enemies and this weird mix of industrial wastelands and the Canadian wilderness. The Country Bears make an appearance for some reason. And then there's Kiddy Kong, who thankfully hasn't shown up in the series again. The series' whole draw was impressing players with its pre-rendered 3D graphics, but they're not all that impressive here, especially considering there were actual 3D platformers in 1996. I'd rather play Crash Bandicoot, to be honest.

Even the soundtrack is the weakest in the trilogy by far. While I liked Eveline Fischer's work in the first game, her compositions didn't do much for me here. There's just not much to enjoy unless you're really into collecting a whole bunch of coins and creepy banana birds.

#12 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge - ★★★★☆

I went into this game with absolutely zero nostalgia for the Ninja Turtles. In fact, the only Turtles-related media I've consumed is a bit of the original arcade game and the godawful live-action Christmas special (their take on the 12 Days of Christmas will be burned into my head until I die). So from the perspective of someone who knows nothing about the franchise, this new game absolutely rules.

It's a clear throwback to the coin-op brawlers of the 90s, but each of the side-scrolling stages are presented in a way that's far beyond what was possible back then. The sprites are wonderfully expressive and the music is always on point, making for an enjoyable, breezy playthrough. The characters' movesets are a bit basic compared to modern brawlers and there's not much variety in the enemies, but juggling them and tossing them into the camera never gets old. I usually struggle with the genre so I expected the default difficulty level to be tough, but it was a total cakewalk. It's too easy to just taunt and get your whole special meter back between battles, which throws off the fantastic pace of the bite-sized stages. Still, this was some of the most fun I've had playing an arcade brawler.

As a side note, I played through the game as Donatello, which I didn't realise was such a cliché. I just picked him because I like the colour purple!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #51 - Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak
Time: Ongoing
Platform: Switch
Rating: ★★★★

Great expansion all around for Monster Hunter Rise that adds some cool new skills to use (on a game with already a bunch of combat stuff going on) and a set of tough new monsters to hunt, unfortunately it doesn't add as many new monsters as I hoped for (both in quantity and in originality, as a lot of the "new" monsters are just variants), and also, for me personally, Master Rank is starting to creep into "not fun" difficulty (I'm not very good at these games so this is very personal of course) so I'm not sure how much endgame I'll actually do as the last few fights before the credits rolled were already borderline breaking me, but still, overall I had a blast and im sure I'll keep playing as they add new content.

Main Post

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

w50013ke8.jpg

21. Streets of Rage 4
Outstanding - ★★★★ (4/4)

I've heard nothing but good things about Streets of Rage 4, and I'm pleased to say that it lives up to the type. It takes the model that Final Fight laid out which Streets of Rage imitated and innovated on, then simply keeps building on that until what you have is a perfect package.

The most important part of the experience to me is the gameplay. Final Fight was at its core about keeping enemies in control; if they were spread out they're hard to deal with, but if you keep them contained you can easily attack them all at once. This game retains that focus, giving you just enough tools to deal with opponents safety but not a ton of room to play with your food. It rewards big combos, but big combos aren't about figuring out how to chain attacks together, it's figure out when to use the move in what circumstance to keep your opponents from retaliating and interrupting you.

The balance of the game also strikes me as impeccable. Enemies have pronounced patterns so you have to pay attention and learn them, but the game never feels as unfair. It makes sense to a degree that it's not overly hard since it's a console game rather than an arcade one, but I do think it's done well.

I haven't gone through it all, but it's clearly not skimping on content either, since I unlocked a whole bunch of characters and modes by beating this. There's also a training mode which seems to go into every individual character's specific mchanics, but I skipped that this time since I wanted to go get a fresh experience. If and when I play the game again, I'm going to try to learn it as much as possible.

Main post

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

header.jpg

22. 神都不愿探 Underdog Detective
An FMV game with an impressive budget. I only recently realised this game is considered a prequel to a Chinese TV series. Now all the huge set pieces, costumes and great acting make sense. The dialogue is translated very well but the game struggles at times to convey the right meaning during choice sequences. Oftentimes I would pick the wrong option because the choices don't quite make sense. The game is very forgiving, though, with lots of checkpoints and options to fast forward, rewind or skip available. The characters Du Xun, Xiao Ling and An Qi are all very likeable and the detective sequences did require me to think logically at times. The strangest puzzle was the Ying Yang choice one, which didn't make the rules clear in English until half way through. So the first bit was a bit of guessing (and a rather gruesome death sequence of you guess wrong).

Where this game's fault lies is that it's over before it even begins. The base game contains only episode 1-5, which cover the first chapter. For $11.50 and only 1.5 hours of gameplay, it's not a huge amount. The real sting comes with the DLC, which contains the rest of the episodes and the vast majority of the game's content, being $28.50. So in essence, you're paying for a demo of the game, with episodes 6-17 labelled as DLC. It's dodgy behaviour in what is otherwise a fantastic production.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

w5007fjan.jpg

23. Touhou Hyouibana: Antinomy of Common Flowers
Outstanding - ★★★★ (4/4)

I've played other shmup-fighter hybrids like Twinkle Star Sprites and Senko no Ronde: Duo, but not any of the Touhou fighting games. Honestly, I tend to forget that there are multiple official Touhou fighting games. This game is the most similar to traditional fighting games but still quite different; in fact, it's so iconoclastic in structure that I'm not sure that I could give a solid opinion on it as a versus game.

To give a basic rundown of the gameplay. You essentially have three attack buttons, one for melee attacks and two for specials. Different attacks can be done Smash Bros style, by combining with directions or when running. The melee button can be mashed for an auto combo, and one of the special buttons can be used for a rapid fire wide range shooting attack. One thing that separates this clearly from other fighters is that basically anything but a melee move has a cost from your special meter, which refills quickly if you just don't use it for a few seconds. Even more than that, movement is a different, in that you can effectively jump downwards as well as upwards, and naturally can dash either way. There's also a tag and super system. In terms of speed, information to be managed, and presentation, it feels most like Guilty Gear to me.

The story mode is split into a few stories with different pairs of characters. In each match, you first have to beat the opponent in one round in a regular fight. This round is piss easy on normal mode. From there, the opponent enters into a boss mode, gaining a barrier that does not eliminate damage but must be broken before you can stun them with attacks and thus deliver a clean combo. Instead of their normal moveset, they engage in a clear attack pattern. Essentially, they become a shmup boss that you're meant to work out the attack pattern of, and you simply have to choose the most effective attack according to that pattern rather than trying to mix things up to enter. There can potentially be up to two more rounds you have to win against different attack patterns, particularly against the final boss of a route.

These boss patterns aren't necessarily the same between routes, even when you face the same opponent. So altogether, there's a huge wealth of single gameplay in terms of the number of unique fights you get into. The problem with that is that since every single match involves a boss fight, you don't really get a sense of what regular versus play is like. There isn't an arcade or survival mode, either.

Main post

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
01. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (Dreamcast) | Jan/02 - 10hrs | ★★★★★
02. Super Mario World (SNES) | Jan/02 - 5hrs | ★★★★★
03. Super Mario 64 (N64) | Jan/08 - 17hrs | ★★★★★
04. Unpacking (PC) | Jan/08 - 4hrs | ★★★★☆
05. Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES) | Jan/15 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
06. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (Sega Saturn) | Jan/16 - 2hrs | ★★★★★
07. Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii) | Jan/18 - 12hrs | ★★★★★
08. Banjo-Kazooie (XBO) | Jan/24 - 11hrs | ★★★★★
09. Cyber Shadow (XBO) | Jan/28 - 8hrs | ★★★☆☆
10. Destiny 2: Forsaken (PS4) | Jan/29 - 8hrs | ★★★★☆
11. The Medium (PC) | Feb/15 - 9hrs | ★★☆☆☆
12. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered (PS4) | Feb/16 - 35hrs | ★★★★★
13. Touhou Luna Nights (XBO) | Feb/18 - 6hrs | ★★★★☆
14. ARCADE GAME SERIES: Ms. PAC-MAN (PS4) | Feb/19 - 2hrs | ★★★★☆
15. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Session! (PS4) | Mar/01 - 40hrs | ★★★★★
16. Persona 5 (PS4) | Mar/28 - 150hrs | ★★★★★
17. Xeodrifter (PS Vita) | Mar/30 - 2hrs | ★★★☆☆
18. Gorogoa (XBO) | Apr/06 - 1hr | ★★★☆☆
19. Need for Speed (PS4) | Apr/07 - 25hrs | ★★☆☆☆
20. Kero Blaster (PS4) | Apr/10 - 5hrs | ★★★★☆
21. Jak II (PS4) | Apr/17 - 15hrs | ★★☆☆☆
22. OFF (PC) | Apr/19 - 6hrs | ★★★★★
23. Celeste (PS4) | Apr/22 - 14hrs | ★★★★☆
24. The Artful Escape (Xbox) | Apr/23 - 3hrs | ★★☆☆☆
25. Flywrench (PS4) | Apr/27 - 2hrs | ★★★☆☆
26. Streets of Rage 4 (XBO) | Apr/28 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
27. Save Room - Organization Puzzle (PC) | Apr/29 - 2hrs | ★★★☆☆
28. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4) | May/13 - 6hrs | ★★★★☆
29. Never Alone (Kisima Inŋitchuŋa) (PS4) | May/15 - 3hrs | ★★★☆☆
30. Transistor (PS4) | May/22 - 16hrs | ★★★★★
31. Resident Evil (PS4) | Jun/05 - 16hrs | ★★★★☆
32. Mega Man 2 (Mega Man Legacy Collection) (PS4) | Jun/08 - 2hrs | ★★★★★
33. Mega Man 3 (Mega Man Legacy Collection) (PS4) | Jun/09 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
34. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (PS4) | Jun/15 - 35hrs | ★★★★☆
35. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge (PC) | Jun/18 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
36. Umurangi Generation (PC) | Jun/19 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
37. Tetris Effect (PS4) | Jun/21 - 20hrs | ★★★★★
38. Trek to Yomi (XBO) | Jun/23 - 3hrs | ★★☆☆☆
39. Asura's Wrath (XBO) | Jun/25 - 12hrs | ★★★★★
40. Disc Room (PC) | Jun/26 - 4hrs | ★★★★☆
41. Pokémon Legends: Arceus (Switch) | Jul/11 - 54hrs | ★★★★☆

IjwKMp4.png

In many ways, Pokémon Legends: Arceus is the kind of game I've always expected from the franchise, with a different direction and a certain ambition that I've always felt Game Freak lacked, even if it still clings to certain conventions and limitations from the original series. Generally speaking, the final product is better than the sum of its parts. Graphical limitations aside, the game has a nice aesthetic and at least the Pokémon are all expressive and well animated. The scenarios are built in such a way that it really gives the impression that those creatures are "living" there and Jubilife Village works very well as an access point to different areas of the Hisui region, as well as it's pretty cool to see the village taking shape as the Pokémon become more and more part of the daily lives of the people who live there.​

d1JygVp.png

The gameplay makes capturing Pokémon a much simpler task, so exploration and discovery, both regions and Pokémon themselves, are the real highlight of the game, and it works very well. And I think that's the true brilliance here, even if the combat and the story (which still have its moments) takes a more conventional approach. Pokémon Legends: Arceus is maybe the first time that I've ever truly felt to be part of a real "Pokémon adventure" that I've always imagined since I got to know the franchise over two decades ago. I really hope that Game Freak understands why this game is special, and knows how to extract its strengths for its next productions.​

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

qakqh.jpg

24. Majestic Twelve: The Space Invaders Part IV (Previously beaten)
Flawed - ★★☆☆ (2/4)

Via Space Invaders Invincible Collection. I wanted to play Space Invaders Extreme, which I've already previously beaten, but figured that I should get some usage out some of the other games in the collection too. But I'm not really into a lot of golden age of arcade games - I don't like the lack of progression. So this was kind of the only other thing there for me.

Basically, it's a modernization of Space Invaders, albeit beat in mind that I'm using "modern" from the perspective of Gradius III and Darius II still being new. This one has a finite amount of stages with different backgrounds, each consisting of a few waves of invaders with different patterns, maybe a boss at the end. There are powerups to get line time stop and destruction laser. There's also a bonus game where you try to save cows from being abducted but have to be careful not to shoot them yourself. Aside from that, the basic mechanics of the game are essentially the same as the original, just faster and more aggressive from the jump.

For what it's trying to do, I think it's serviceable. I doesn't reinvent Space Invaders, but it does make it a lot more playable if you're the type who would get bored after one or two rounds of the original. The biggest issue it really has is that Space Invaders Extreme came around and did something essentially similar but so much better that this ends up being kind of obsolete.

Main post

RMChoodie

Dec 27, 2021
American in Costa Rica
1. Yakuza Like A Dragon (XSX) JAN 3- 123 HOURS AND 45 MINUTES 9/10
2. The Forgotten City (XSX) JAN 22- 13 HOURS AND 48 MINUTES 9/10
3. Hitman( 2016) (XSX) FEB 4 68 HOURS AND 22 MINUTES 9/10
4. It Takes Two (PS5) FEB 8 14 HOURS 12 MINUTES 4/10
5. Hitman 2 (XSX) MAR 22 45 HOURS AND 38 MINUTES 8/10
6. Unpacking (XSX) APR 7 6 HOURS AND 17 MINUTES 6/10
7. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS5) APR 18 76 HOURS AND 49MINUTES 8/10
8. FarCry 5 (XSX) APR 26 53 HOURS AND 29 MINUTES 8/10
9. FarCry 5 Hours of Darkness (XSX) MAY 1 3 HOURS AND 12 MINUTES 4/10
10.FarCry 5 Lost on Mars (XSX) MAY 6 3 HOURS AND 26 MINUTES 5/10
11.FarCry 5 Dead Living Zombies (XSX) MAY 8 4 HOURS AND 17 MINUTES 3/10
12.Life Is Strange True Colors (XSX) MAY 29 12 HOURS AND 41 MINUTES 4/10
13.Horizon Zero Dawn The Frozen Wilds (PS5) MAY 30 10 HOURS AND 11 MINUTES 6/10
14.Trek To Yomi (XSX) JUNE 18 8 HOURS AND 19 MINUTES 4/10
15.Greedfall (XSX) JUNE 27 49 HOURS AND 50 MINUTES 6/10
16.Assasin's Creed Origins The Hidden Ones (PS5) JULY 6 7 HOURS AND 35 MINUTES 7/10
17.MLB The Show 22 (XSX) JULY 9 80 HOURS And 7 MINUTES 9/10
18.Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shredder's Revenge (XSX) JULY 10 13 HOURS AND 21 MINTUES 8/10
19.Sonic The Hedgehog (XSX) JULY 10 3HOURS AND 36 MINUTES 4/10

I will do better posting my games
I will do better something something

JUNE
14.Trek To Yomi (XSX) JUNE 18 8 HOURS AND 19 MINUTES 4/10
15.Greedfall (XSX) JUNE 27 49 HOURS AND 50 MINUTES 6/10

July
16.Assasin's Creed Origins The Hidden Ones (PS5) JULY 6 7 HOURS AND 35 MINUTES 7/10
17.MLB The Show 22 (XSX) JULY 9 80 HOURS And 7 MINUTES 9/10
18.Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shredder's Revenge (XSX) JULY 10 13 HOURS AND 21 MINTUES 8/10
19.Sonic The Hedgehog (XSX) JULY 10 3HOURS AND 36 MINUTES 4/10

NP
AC Origins Curse of the Pharoahs Level 47
Nobody Saves The World with Future wife
Tiny Tina's Wonderlands Level 18
Citizen Sleeper
Weird West
God Of War (2018)

Last edited:

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

sg-ff7-remake-intergrade-walkthrough-and-guide.jpg

23. Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intermission DLC
I was a huge fan of the Remake and this was more of what I loved. I never quite got my head around Yuffie's gameplay but I had a blast just the same. This fills up a nice corner of the first game and we segway nicely where our main story left off. If I was to complain about one thing it was there was quite a lot of endless combat to the end and not much of a breather between boss fights. Awesome DLC, I had so much fun

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
7zRIqtn.png

13. Until Dawn - 8/10

Very enjoyable adventure with a cast of colourful characters and an intriguing multi-layered story with some nice horror vibes. Especially in the start there are maybe too many jumpscares but aside from that I don't have too many complaints. Lots of fun for the evenings.

1. The Forgotten City (XSX) | 3rd Jan - 8 hrs | 8
2. Psychonauts 2 (XSX) | 8th Jan - 15 hrs | 7
3. The Gunk (XSX) | 9th Jan - 5 hrs | 6
4. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (XSX) | 13th Jan - 8 hrs | 8
5. Expeditions: Rome (PC) | 29th Jan - 70 hrs | 8
6. Dying Light 2 (PC) | 17th Feb - 60 hrs | 8
7. Death's Door (XSX) | 30th Mar - 10 hrs | 7
8. Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade (PS5) | 10th April - 30 hrs | 3
9. Immortals Fenyx Rising (PS5) | 27th April - 40 hrs | 6
10. Ghost of Tsushima (PS5) | 4th May - 50 hrs | 6
11. Chinatown Detective Agency (PC) | 1st June - 10 hrs | 5
12. Lost in Random (XSX) | 18th June - 20 hrs | 9
13. Until Dawn (PS5) | 13th July - 8 hrs | 8

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
45 & 46: Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series

capsule_616x353.jpg

45. Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil (11/7/22) ★★★

This may be the last time I regail era with a completely non thrilling backstory for Klonoa 2 in my life.
See I played the PS2 demo back when I first got a PS2 and though it was pretty neat....and then never bought it. After Klonoa's Wiimake I was met with the hunger for K2, only for the game to basically be inaccessible outside original hardware (which I no longer had, and with software that wasn't easily found).
I wouldn't say it built up mythical status with me, it's just been one of the games that's been sitting on the list for longer than most, slowly being able to tick those off as publishers finally re-release certain titles, and at last Namco have delivered the goods.

...and it's okay!

That's it really, it's more Klonoa for sure, stages are bigger, not necessarily better, but at least on par with the original. Vivid locales really benefit from the game's 2.5D style, some of these environments nail that going on a journey vibe that I wish was more common among platformers.
Even from the start, the game hits you with this moody stormy sea stage, as you bound around the rocks and crags being ravaged by waves and rain. As the game goes on there's windswept ruins, a night time stroll through a carnival that takes you into its haunted house for the final act, a sorta steampunk-lite city and some wacky mirror museum of distorted gravity, point is, the aesthetics in here are on point.

Klonoa was always fairly simple as a platformer, grab the mooks, double your jump or chuck them, mix these abilities up with a few bits and pieces of environmental gimmicks in stages that started getting a bit more maze like as you progress. K2 continues this tradition while upping the puzzle aspect quite noticeably, really making the player pay attention to the enemy types and the order of which to utilise them.
K2's pace is a bit off at times as a result, some of these puzzles can either involve a fair amount of waiting (those bloody bomb sections man) or actually having to sit for a moment and figure out the plan of action. I do wish the game carried a bit more of the actual platforming and pathfinding DNA the original had in spots, it's still pretty close in design, yet I certainly noted that Klonoa himself is a touch slower, his flutter jump not having as much oomph. Even the wind ring attack feels like it should reach a bit further than it actually does, I swear they must;ve messed with this a bit because some segments it feels like I'm on the very edge of a platform blasting that ring at an enemy an inch away and it just wont get got!

On occasion the game mixes things up with autoscrolling boarding stages, these are actually a pretty nice change of pace and shift between 2D and 3D segments, often gimmick stages can be a detriment to a platformer, these fortunately land more on DKCR/TF minecart than I dunno...Crash 3's motorbike or something?
Bosses are fairly solid as well, tending to play well with the 3D space in a 2D format, yep, fairly solid, that's kinda K2 in a nutshell.

I've replayed a fair few 3 star/seven outta ten kid friendly platformer/platformer adjacent titles this year, Klonoa basically slots in well with many of those Kirby games and Yoshi's Story, it's fine, there's fun to be had, just not enough for me to wonder why Klonoa just went and died y'know?

46. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (13/7/22) ★★★

2 took priority since I've played this one before in remade Wii form, this new version seems like an HD version of Klonoa Wii, with a few details changed to bring it back more in line with the original (the design for Klonoa himself for one, I actually wasn't prepared for it, despite the title screen/key art and all). I think the game's controls/physics may have changed a bit as well? compared to 2 and my memories of Wii, Klonoa here is a touch more slippery when landing, or takes a rather large step for the slightest movement? enough that I'd occasionally fall off the odd ledge for no real threatening reason, and often stumble into enemies when simply trying to grab them.
Otherwise though, it feels about 20% snappier than 2, physics aren't shared across both games in this collection, in fact it took me far too long to notice that K1 Klonoa only has one jump height compared to 2's variable jump heights. Bumbling into foes/off cliffs aside, it feels that bit nicer to play.
Stages still being fairly long by most genre standards, yet reeled in from some of 2's more plodding outings make for a tighter experience that in turn helps the collectable hunt.
I think this one just about edges 2 out with more focused level design, a better plot (neither game is anything to right home about, but boy does 1 have THAT ending) and maybe better music as well, K2 has some nice dittys in there, but the windmill song is on another level.

Visually it doesn't hit as high as the sequel, it does however still have a lot of nice sprawling bits of 3D and 2D design, often a lot more compact here which is kinda nice in a diorama esque way. Late game moves out of the more standard world tropes into things with a bit more flavour, it also spikes a bit in challenge, like sure you're not gonna sweat much, but there's no way to deny that the dial suddenly turns up in a way that's very noticeable.

I think this pair of remasters missed some opportunities to tighten up parts of the games, in a world where somehow Klonoa returns for a threequel (with the marketing and cost behind this, with overpriced digital tat DLC to boot, not likely!) I'd almost suggest that Klonoa's wind bullet be more of a full body burst to save some of the fiddly pain that comes with the game's wishy washy hitboxes, I don't think Klonoa is ever tough, as much as it suddenly gets fiddly.
Well there is the extra vision mind you, a sudden turn for the kaizo that pushes the use of klonoa's double jumping, and even that really feels more difficult than it actually is because that ring never feels perfectly reliable to me.
Mercifully Bamco opted to make the trophy/cheevo list fairly easy, they could've put "get 150 gems on every stage", a feat that would be more maddening than 100% Crash 4 thanks to all the one chance only gems throughout, anyway here's an easy 1000/1000.

Maybe we can market this game to trophy hunters, that's how K3 happens.

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
Hell yeah, finally completed a game in 2022 so I'll grab a post! Never getting to 52 or even double digits this year but hey, that's not ultimately the point right!

Previous years:
2017 - 52
2018 - 10
2019 - 38
2020 - 32
2021 - 17

2022 progress diary (last updated: 31/Dec).
header.jpg

13/July - Elden Ring - 256 hours
An exceptional achievement. Has a few weak points here and there but none are enough to spoil the game for me.

header.jpg

17/July - Little Nightmares - 3.3 hours
An interesting thing with great style. Enough to make me think I'll for sure play the second at some point.

header.jpg

09/Sept - Street Outlaws 2: Winner Takes All - 13.3 hours
Not much time to play games recently but a friend bought me this not long ago knowing my guilty pleasure of fast street cars. Whilst it's hardly what you'd call an AAA game or even a half accurate replication of drag racing, it's fun enough for a hit or two now and then.

header.jpg

09/Oct - Hitman: Absolution - 20.1 hours
Still not a good core hitman game but I still like it despite a few general quirks and some elements that are bound to annoy Hitman purists. I would quite like a sequel if it remained walled off from the Hitman games proper.

header.jpg

25/Oct - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (campaign) - ~10 hours
Completed the early access campaign and quite enjoyed it. I'm really just in it for the multiplayer and ultimately WZ2 but since the campaign releases early I thought why not play through it. I'm genuinely surprised how much I liked it. I was also surprised how good it looks and how [relatively] well it runs on my old Ryzen 5 1600 / GTX 1060 PC.

Overall it looks good, sounds great and has some pretty interesting and varied missions. If you just want run and gun COD this isn't going to be for you but if you want something a little slower paced it may well be. There's some weird bits here and there that feel a little tone deaf but overall it doesn't feel all that 'hooyah' all in all so that's a bonus.

xssPsRt.png

16/Nov - Call of Duty: Warzone - 100s of hours
Now Warzone 2.0 is here, i suppose I can call the original Warzone complete. My friends and I started playing this is lock down and have continued to do so most Thursday since. The game itself I think really was a great battle royale though certainly this year we mostly played the resurgence modes for more casual fun. Some memories of gaming with friends and frankly a critical social tool during a difficult time during Covid. Odd thing to say about COD but there you go. It's been an odd few years. Sad to see it go but happy to try something new.

header.jpg

08/Dec - Metro 2033 Redux - 12.8 hours
I quite liked most of this and it certainly has a message. Some occasional age related jank but all very bearable.

header.jpg

31/Dec - Metro Last Light Redux - 11.6 hours
Last game of 2022, enjoyed it. The combat shows it's age but the setting and story beats are good. Looking forward to seeing how far Exodus modernises the combat.

Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War - Treyarch - PC
Since I completed the MWII campaign and haven't bothered with BOCW or Vanguard despite playing a bunch of MP and Zombies in both games thought I might run through these at some point.
KSp6MSG.jpg

Weird how first non-dialogue option is to throw the dude (Qasim) off the roof in very first mission!
WXV5gMM.png
> Completed Games (8/52) - 44 to go

#01: Elden Ring - From Software - PC - ★★★★★
#02: Little Nightmares - Tarsier Studios - PC - ★★★☆☆
#03: Street Outlaws 2: Winner Takes All - Team6 Game Studios - PC - ★★☆☆☆
#04: Hitman: Absolution - IO Interactive - PC - ★★★☆☆
#05: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (campaign) - Infinity Ward and friends - PC - ★★★☆☆
#06: Call of Duty: Warzone - Infinity Ward and friends - PC - ★★★★☆
#07: Metro 2033 Redux - 4A Games - PC - ★★★☆☆
#08: Metro Last Light Redux - 4A Games - PC - ★★★☆☆
★☆☆☆☆ - Bad | ★★☆☆☆ - OK | ★★★☆☆ - Good | ★★★★☆ - Great | ★★★★★ - Exceptional

> Ending the year currently playing

Actively playing:

Spelunky
- Mossmouth - PC
Thought I'd give it a go. The jungle sucks!!
Call of Duty: Warzone 2.0 / DMZ / MP - Infinity Ward / Raven Software - PC
Occasional sessions with friends in BR/DMZ, regular solo MP sessions.

Occasionally messing with:

Kerbal Space Program
- Squad - PC
Muddling about with my commsats orbiting every planet mission.
Dwarf Fortress - Bay 12 Games - PC
Messing about now and then with the Steam release now.
Euro Truck Simulator 2 - SCS Software - PC
Slowly building my trucking empire.
Grand Theft Auto Online - Rockstar - PC
Messing about now and then.
State of Decay 2 - Undead Labs - PC
Playing though again with an already formed community.

Will start soon:
Metro Exodus
- 4A Games - PC

Last edited:

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Hell yeah, finally completed a game in 2022 so I'll grab a post! Never getting to 52 or even double digits this year but hey, that's not ultimately the point right!

Previous years:
2017 - 52
2018 - 10
2019 - 38
2020 - 32
2021 - 17

2022 progress diary (last updated: 13/July).
header.jpg

13/July - Elden Ring - 256 hours
An exceptional achievement. Has a few weak points here and there but none are enough to spoil the game for me.

More comments to probably follow after reflecting further.
> Completed Games (01/52) - 51 to go
#01: Elden Ring - From Software - PC - ★★★★★

★☆☆☆☆ - Bad | ★★☆☆☆ - OK | ★★★☆☆ - Good | ★★★★☆ - Great | ★★★★★ - Exceptional
Hell yeah! What an awesome game to complete this year. 256 hours, nice!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Whoops, wrong clips. Fixed.

61ozicuwn7l.__ac_sy30sok6j.jpg

25. Space Invaders Extreme
Outstanding - ★★★★ (4/4)

I played a bunch of this years ago on a borrowed copy, so I thought I'd do a run on the hardest difficulty route. But the last level has a severe difficulty spike and try as I might, I couldn't quite pull off the final boss. So I ended up starting another run which was largely the same, but for the last level I chose the second hardest option instead. Even the final boss was essentially the same, just with its attacks tweaked to be slightly more forgiving.

Space Invaders Extreme is the definitive take on Space Invaders as far as I'm concerned. A big part of it is that it's got a much more cohesive and striking visual identity, but I think that the other is that as opposed to Majestic Twelve, it's not trying to make Space Invaders' existing gameplay into something palatable, it's using it as a model for its own gameplay experience.

The flow goes like this. First, you face a wave of enemies. For the most part, they're nonthreatening, simply challenging you to find the best way to destroy them. Based on that, you might get a special flying saucer to appear which sends you to a bonus stage if shot. The bonus stage gives you a time limit with which to destroy a set number of specific enemies, generally with some hook involved, like you're sliding around. If you win the special stage, you're brought to the next enemy wave, but with a temporary power up. After all the waves are cleared, you face the boss of the stage.

The thing is that with all of this, you spend very little time playing vanilla Space Invaders here. You're generally powered up, or you're facing a bonus challenge or boss. On the odd occasion that you're just left dealing with regular ol' Space Invaders, they're generally really big and your shot is large and fast moving, so it also de-emphasizes the aspects that made the original challenging. I could imagine that someone might want the experience of the original for whatever reason and they wouldn't be able to find it here.

Main post

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
47. (replay) F-Zero X (14/7/22) ★★★★

I am here before you, a defeated man.
Today was the day where I concluded that I wasn't going to be able to best F-Zero X on Expert difficulty, how did it end up this way?
This game has been waiting on a writeup for months, until I either gave up on expert, or finally succeeded.

But first, F-Zero X, a fairly straightforward futuristic racer, 30 entrants smash out 3 laps around floating racetracks that are light on gimmicks (outside the TUUUUUBES), and heavy on just using your sick skills to outspeed your opponents. Once you hit lap 2, your health bar doubles as an energy bar for using boost, adding a tasty risk/reward formula to blaze a trail at the expense of leaving yourself vulnerable to blowing to pieces, most laps have a pit stop esque lane of energy regenerating right by the end, leading to an extra element of meter management on top of the above.
And to really spice things up, you can side shunt and spin attack at any time to try and take out racers entirely, 30 racers may enter, but not al of them finish, heck in the randomly generated track bonus mode of the "X Cup" you can on occasion end up with these big dipper drop turns that the CPU can't deal with so, sometimes you're the only one who finishes.

Not that I was experiencing the X Cup this time, remember, expert mode had my number.
While I first played the game on the N64, it wasn't until the Wii Virtual Console that I really dug in and unlocked master difficulty and the X cup.
So naturally I figured I could just do that again on Switch, oh fool me, father time has used boost power, blazed past me with a spin attack that hurtled me like a pinball against all of the walls, "too bad, you lost your machine and your mojo"

Now, believe me, I tried, multiple attempts through multiple cups, different racers, different balances between the boost and acceleration. Consistently I can snag 8th place or thereabouts, but reaching the fabled top 3 is a no go.
Oh the tactics I've tried, like trying to brutally murder my higher scoring rivals during lap 1 to ensure they earn no points for a race, a true power play that the game allows you, but one that is not easy and is very all or nothing.
I even hit the google streets, looked up faqs, found reddit threads, anything to help me figure out what I was missing to close the gap, I put more work into this than most new games this year!

Today was the last gimmick play, the N64 controller, truly I was desperate here, that maybe, just maybe the power of the unorthodox manta ray controller would give me the nostalgic boost to glory, or make the stick less twitchy.
It not only didn't work, it might have made things worse, as I cratered off course for the fourth and final time in the Queen cup, the seldom seen game over screen as I twitched off the edge, Octoman plunging to an explosive depth in the citycape miles below.

Perhaps it's the NTSC version tripping me up (we've got excuses for days), you see the problem is it's too fast (don't laugh), and I need my slowed down PAL version for psuedo bullet time.
And maybe this is it, or maybe I'm just a normal mode babby now.
Look if nothing else, I beat the four main cups on easy and normal, that's worthy for this thread, if you disagree then go and do expert mode yourself, I dare you, I double dare you
wait, what's master mode like on this version?!

So there's the tale of my struggle scrubbery, despite that, F-Zero X is a top N64 game that holds up a treat, it may look visually bare, especially compared to its gamecube sequel, but it plays smoothly, has a rockin' OST alongside striking western comic book art.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to hit up gamefaqs for the unlock everything code like ye olden days of the internet never left.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Halfway through!

w500x4k3y.jpg

26. Crossed Swords
Outstanding - ★★★★ (4/4)

I think it's natural to describe Crossed Swords as Punch-Out!! but in the style of a medieval European fantasy RPG, but there's one absolutely massive flaw with that comparison. Punch-Out!! is a delicate beast, designed to look intimidating but be totally learnable, so if you pay attention to the pattern you can plan for how the opponent will attack. Crossed Swords, on the other hand, is an arcade game where either you have an unreasonable reaction time or you're going to take a lot of hits from unpredictable mixups. You do have a magic attack depending on your sword which is a lot easier to make smart use of, such as capitalizing on your enemies being unable to react when they're jumping into attack range.

In fact, this game has a weird, nearly inverted difficulty curve because it's specifically the enemies' normal attacks which are the most unreasonable. The first few enemies aren't that bad, but then they quickly start introducing ones that attack far quicker and might be able to deflect your normal combo so that even if you do read an enemy attack successfully you can get punched for it. Later on, you've leveled up so that you've got a much longer health bar, you've upgraded your weapon so you're trashing a lot of these annoying enemies once you just get a few hits in, you've got better magic. At that point, they start introducing more enemies with special attacks, which are often easier to dodge or block because they take longer to reach you, last long enough for you to change blocking direction mid-attack, or consistently come out in the same or alternative direction.

But once you get over the expectation that the game is going to be fair, and if you're playing Arcade Archives or whatever so that you don't actually have to put in another quarter to continue, you've got a distinctive arcade action game with a lot of content to it. There's something like fifty battles, with about a dozen enemy types before recolours with new moves are considered, a few points where you get to choose between different routes, different weapons to buy or receive from NPCs which provide you with different offensive or defensive spells, and occasional small cutscenes for flavour.

Main post

Sillen2000

Oct 1, 2019
Main Post

May update: 23/52

I managed to get a PS5! I also played a lot of games and have a lot to say about most of them!

ubjKN4Q.jpg

12. May 2nd | Ratchet & Clank 2 | Playstation 3 | 9h 51m | Replay | ☆☆☆½(/5)

Just like the first game, Ratchet & Clank 2 is very nostalgic and actually my first experience with the series when a friend of my brother's brought it over to our house to play it with him when it had just released. Took a while to actually own and play it myself though, honestly not sure when it was, but play it I eventually did, and it sure was more Ratchet & Clank. Yeah, 2 is a fairly big departure from the first game with its much more refined gunplay and smoother controls aimed more at combat than platforming than its predecessor's, but it's not like it feels like a completely different thing. You still travel from planet to planet, buy your gadgets and weapons while fighting a giant corporation trying to destroy parts of the galaxy, and all of that is still a lot of fun. The writing has also seen a clear improvement, with certainly much better comedy writing, but also a tighter and more focused plot that really builds well upon concepts and characters the previous game introduced and didn't really do all that much with at the time. Still some things that don't make much sense and the ending is very abrupt, but overall a big improvement over R&C1.

Despite better writing and tightening up the gunplay, I was never really the biggest fan of R&C2 without really being able to articulate why. Having not played it in 7 years before doing this, I feel like I had forgotten enough about the game to exist more in the now with it rather than thinking ahead about things later in the game at most times, and I think that helped me really "get" what I enjoyed about it, and also what I had always disliked because, honestly, my opinion on the game still hasn't really changed. The main gameplay is more enjoyable to me than the first game's in almost every single way. Sure, the platforming has been streamlined by a whole lot, but when the action is as fun as it is here, it's a trade-off I can live with. The slower pace and more strategical gameplay of the first game is fun and an interesting aspect of it that made it unique in the series, but I do prefer the higher pace the franchise would have from this game and onward. Also think the gadged puzzles are a lot more fun here than in the first game, but it's still annoying how gadgets like the swingshot basically has to take up a slot on the weapon wheel for the entire game if you don't want to pause the game and go into the weapons menu every time you want to use it (which is pretty often). I want to say that the gadget wheel was introduced in 3, so very much looking forward to that.

Where 2 really falters and why I don't really think it is a true improvement over the first game is in some of the gimmicks it introduces. Like, the hoverboard races in the first game weren't exactly great, but they were at least more fun than the mind numbingly boring bike races in 2 where every race feels like it goes on for about two laps too long and there's basically no challenge to them after maybe trying it out once and getting used to the fairly janky controls. Not sure why Insomniac thought racing was something from the first game that they needed to bring back in some form, but I certainly wish they hadn't. Also not sure why they decided to make some of the generation's worst space battles where no matter how much you play it, it just never stops feeling terrible and like an even bigger waste of time than the races with a terrible mini-map, awful aim and enemies that more often than not just feel like they're behind you and it's basically impossible to avoid their shots (and they shoot at you constantly). It's tolerable once you buy some upgrades for the ship, but more so in the way that it ends fairly quick than it being fun in any way. A real pace killer, just like the races.

Biggest offender of them all, though? By far the Giant Clank sections which, outside of the turret focused boss fight with the giant Thugs-4-Less robot in this very same game, have to be the slowest, most boring sections of any R&C game I've played. Not sure what happened with Insomniac after the at least very serviceable Giant Clank sections in the first game, but they somehow messed it up majorly here, with bosses that have about twice as much health as they should have, and the slowest knock back animation known to man. They're not really difficult, but it is very possible to screw up, and just a nightmare if you happen to die since it means doing all that terrible work slowly chipping away at the boss' health all over again and trying not to throw the game out the window when having to deal with the extremely sluggish controls. I think there's only Giant Clank section that's actually mandatory to do in the game, but it's honestly so bad that it drags the entire game down a notch.

It really is too bad that these mini-games exist and, at least to me, makes the overall experience of playing R&C2 a lesser one, because, like I said, the core gameplay is great fun! All weapons are fun to use, the upgrade system gives even the earlier weapons new life and a reason to use them even late into the game, and the level design while not being as focused on platforming does feel better thanks to being more optimized for combat and better use of gadgets. Like, the things that make Ratchet & Clank... well, Ratchet & Clank are much better to me and having actual strafing is a huge game changer (as is not having to grund for bolts as much for new weapons), but somehow Insomniac didn't seem to think that was enough for a sequel, so they just threw in some pretty terrible mini-games here and there and thought it would improve the experience. The endgame is also very easy and anticlimactic, but it's mainly these unnecessary gimmicks that keeps me from enjoying R&C2 as much as I think I could have (plus that painfully boring fight against the giant robot. Really the franchise's low point when it comes to boss fights). I feel like there is a world where I'm having constant fun with Ratchet & Clank 2 and where it doesn't want to stop my fun here and there with these half baked concepts, but I sadly live in this world where that is the case. At the end of the day it is what it is, I guess, and it's overall not a bad game at all and most of the time actually really good, but too much unnecessary weight pulls it down and stops it from really surpassing its predecessor. I remember 3 being a bit too focused on the action, but we'll see what I think of it when I eventually replay that one as well.

Soundtrack highlight:
Todano - Megacorp Armory

pnoxyJY.jpg

13. May 9th | Horizon Zero Dawn (+ The Frozen Wilds) | Playstation 4 | 50h 46m | Pseudo-Replay | ☆☆☆☆
Thought I'd replay this before I got myself Forbidden West and a PS5 later in the year (and somehow managed to get one while playing through it) since I hadn't played it since it released in 2017 and thought there might be some plot points that could be good to be reminded of. Also hadn't played Frozen Wilds before, so this was a good excuse to experience that as well. Remember really liking the game, but that it also lacked that extra something to really elevate it from the great game that it is to something amazing, and having now spent a lot of time with it once again, I still feel that way.

Horizon Zero Dawn is still a beautiful game. Character models can look a bit weird and their animations a bit stiff, but the art direction for this world is still one of the most pleasant open worlds to look at that I've experienced. It's not full of interesting things to do and the different robots are very much confined to their own zones without much room for any dynamism there (though replaying the game on ultra hard, a lot of them seem very eager to run from a mile away to join in on a fight), and the collectibles within it really aren't that interesting, but the reward of exploring this world is simply finding new, amazing views where you can just marvel at what Guerilla has constructed here. It's a world that feels very unnatural in its content, but also extremely natural in its design, while still having a strange beauty that you wouldn't find in most worlds of this sort and I'm someone who usually needs a goal in my games to be able to enjoy them all that much, but in HZD, I was perfectly content a lot of the time just running around, looking at what vantage points I might find, or how the lighting looked around this particular set of trees or something like that. Really relaxing gaming when the robots weren't around.

The robots are there though, and while I certainly wish there was greater variety I still really enjoy fighting them, especially on ultra hard where you really have to use all your different resources to fell some of them and every encounter feels dangerous. Certainly not something I'd want to try out outside of new game plus, but now that I did and had the entire arsenal and skills from the start I greatly enjoyed my time fighting all the different robots (not so much humans, but that's an issue no matter the difficulty), especially the larger ones toward the endgame where basically any wrong move would result in my death. Frustrating when I did die of course, but such a great feeling when taking them down, especially the stormbird who can be a real nightmare if you don't utilize everything the game's taught you up to that point. But honestly, I'm pretty easy to please in any game where you're main weapon is a bow and arrow, so your mileage may vary. Something so much more satisfying about it than using most guns (though I'm not really sure how arrows can pierce these robots).

Where HZD does start to falter a bit is in the story. The backstory and lore for this world is extremely interesting, but the actual plot of the game and the adventure Aloy has to go on really isn't that interesting when it's not about her finding out about her origins, culminating in a huge "the world is ending" event that I honestly never really started caring about, which is strange considering how much I do like the world. Maybe it's because no characters outside of Aloy are all that interesting or that the plot lacks a clear focus before pretty suddenly reaching its climax, sort of just happening until it feels like the game should be over soon. It's really too bad when the rest of the game feels so special. Not exactly innovative in its mechanics, but it iterates on previous open world concepts in a fun way, certainly feeling familiar to other games while still very much having its own identity. With a stronger and more focused plot (and fewer side quests involving tracking footprints), I feel like this could have been an all-time classic to me, but instead it feels like a fantastic playground, held back by the player in order to move forward having to do the main plot that doesn't seem to be all that interested in itself, and the occasionally uninspired mission design of the main missions that come with it. Just like with Ratchet & Clank 2, it is what it is, but it's annoying to feel like you're this close to greatness, but where the game just misses the mark on such a fundamental part of the experience. Hopefully Forbidden West remedies my issues with the writing, but who knows. I expect a fun game either way :).

Oh yeah, Frozen Wilds, too. Cutscene direction and character animations have seen clear improvements, and the new machines are fun to fight. Wouldn't say the story is all that interesting here either and it does feel a bit weird playing it in the middle of the main story like I did, but it's a great new map with some of the best side quests the game has to offer, plus an extremely intense final boss fight against one tough bear. Not that much else to say about it that I haven't said about the main game. It's more HZD, which at least I think is a good thing, and the smaller map to work with also leads to some really good level design for the main missions. Getting every blazing sun for the region's hunting grounds was sort of a nightmare, though. Extremely satisfying once it's done, but the worst while replaying that final trial over and over again.

Soundtrack highlight:
Fireclaw

PRHUsOp.jpg

14. May 10th | Astro's Playroom | Playstation 5! | 4h 20m | ☆☆☆☆
Like I've said at least twice already, I somehow managed to snag a PS5 pretty much out of the blue. Was certainly not prepared for them to come back in stock anywhere,. but happened to have the money so I thought "why not?", and bought myself one. I'm not here to review my PS5 experience thus far, but it is pretty incredible to play something like Astro's Playroom with its almost non existent loading times, steady 60FPS and beautiful graphics while still being so quiet after having used my base PS4 for the last seven years where a lot of games certainly didn't load quickly, the didn't always run great and if I wanted to play something like God of War it constantly sounded like it wanted to either explode or shoot off into the sky. The future feels good.

Astro's Playroom also feels good. Actually, it feels great! Not just because of how good it controls and because of how it manages to introduce so many gimmicks to make you learn the controller without losing its way, but because it's so much fun the entire way through. Maybe if this was a 15 hour game like Kirby and the Forgotten Land that I'd grown tired of it and it would start to feel a bit repetitive about halway through that playtime, but in these breezy four hours I spent with it, I really enjoyed what Asobi managed to create here and how creative they were in crafting platforming stages based on different components of the PS5. Not like I'd really think "oh yeah, this stage is clearly supposed to represent the console's cooling fan" if the game hadn't told me, but since it clearly did tell me this, it's a fun detail to what would've been a great level in any platforming game anyway. I feel like to a lot of developers, having to create an entire game (albeit a very short one by modern standards) made to show off The Power of the PlayStation 5™ and the Dualsense would make for a much stiffer, safer experience, but Asobi gives it so much personality and really seems to have put so much love into crafting each stage that even some of the more suspect gimmicky sections (the monkey climbing certainly drags a bit) become really enjoyable. Doesn't hurt that there's some sort of reference to previous Playstation games placed in such smart places, but also basically everywhere and it's always as much fun to try and decipher which game these astrobots are trying to reenact, or just seeing Astro Dante and thinking "that's rad." The whole thing also controls like a dream, which I guess was to be expected with a game designed to show off the capabilites of the new controller, but it's still nice to see a non-Mario (a pretty clear influence on the entire game) platformer game feel this good.

Not often that you play a tech demo that turns out to be better than most actual games just made to be games, but Astro's Playroom is one of these few exceptions. Just imagine showing off the features of a controller by making a bite-sized cross between Super Mario 3D World and Odyssey while sprinkling in so many references to Playstation's history (I did not expect to see Jumping Flash in a Video Game from 2020!) that just adds to the already very charming world of Astrobot. It's not some revelatory experience or anything, but a very nice trip down memory lane with a much better than expected platformer attached to it, played with a pretty cool controller. Some really good music as well, which I feel is underrated by a lot of people.

Sort of wish I owned a PSVR so I could play Astrobot: Rescue Mission, but I never owned a PS4 Pro, so it wasn't really ever an option. Hopefully it becomes available for PSVR2 so I can try it out one day!

Soundtrack highlight:
Follow Me (Into The Storm) [Playroom Remix]

8egUJdM.jpg

15. May 16th | Spider-Man: Miles Morales | Playstation 5 | 13h | ☆☆☆☆
I don't know if I made myself clear before, but I bought a PS5 in May, which meant I was finally going to play Miles Morales that I had ignored on PS4 since I wanted the best version of it. Really enjoyed my time with Spider-Man when that came out in 2018, and this midquel certainly didn't disappoint either. Insomniac's games very rarely do after all (except for when they make you do mini-games in Ratchet & Clank 2, I guess).

Spider-Man (the 2018 game) did so many things right to not make you feel like Spider-Man, but make this Spider-Man and his New York feel, just, right. It's not like most other Spider-Man games just completely betray the character or something like that, but I do feel like a lot of them have a hard time really showing off how much they both mean to each other, and how important the city has always been to both Peter Parker and Spider-Man. I mean, the overall story of that game was mostly fantastic and would have been even if it had been set in that weird story from the early 90's when Peter Parker travels to the UK and fights Knight & Fogg (I've not read the comics in years, but somehow I can never forget this particular storyline), but it gets an extra edge from this relationship between the two and you really want to save the city when push comes to shove. I also felt like the extremely satisfying swinging traversal through the city reflects this so well, with how Spider-Man so effortlessly just travels from point A to B with the fluidity and confidence that you only really do when you really know a city, which is sort of strange to say since I as a player am controlling him, but I really do feel like the gameplay mechanics says a lot about his character and how he sees his very familiar surroundings.

This isn't a review of Spider-Man 2018, but I do get similar feelings from Miles Morales. His story is more about finding that confidence in himself, but the love of the city is still there, and is probably even better reflected in his side content than it was for the previous game, and it's so interesting how Insomniac managed to both get that "this is my city" and "what am I even doing?" feeling to shine through in Miles at the same time throughout the game, both through the writing, but also through some great animation work where Miles, like Peter, is fairly confident in his swinging since, yeah, he knows New York and he knows where to go at all times which makes swinging easier for him, but he loses a lot of that confidence in combat where he certainly can fight, but he's also a lot clumsier than Peter and his banter comes off a lot more forced, like a scared kid still not really sure of what he's doing. The story of Miles Morales could be better and the short length means some things don't get the depth and time they deserve (still not really sure what Troy Baker's character really adds to the story that a faceless, evil corporation couldn't do on its own), but it does so much giving depth to his character through the gameplay and I was really impressed by that.

The gameplay's still absolutely fantastic, by the way. Swinging around is still a 5/5 experience no matter how much you do it, and though it's been a while since I last played Spider-Man 2018, I feel like Insomniac gives you a lot more options here on how you want to approach combat scenarios. Like, you can probably stealth every single encounter in the game outside of boss fights, but you can just as well fight your way through, or a combination of both and it absolutely feels satisfying as hell and not like you missed out no matter which approach you're taking. Some of the gadgets from the previous game are gone, sure, but I'd say Miles Venom powers (no relation to the character Venom who'll appear in Spider-Man 2, strangely enough) more than makes up for it since it's honestly one of the most satisfying combat mechanics I've had to pleasure of using in a good while. It's not like any of the powers are really much more than a more powerful punch, but the animation, sound and just overall impact of when you hit an enemy with them feels so incredibly good and it's great for getting more resilient out of the way far quicker than Peter ever could in the previous game, sort of making me afraid to revisit that game's combat after having become used to having these powers. I'm sure it'd be fun anyway, but I'd probably miss venom striking foes quite a bit.

The game looks great too, obviously. It's not mind blowing or several notches above what the PS4 could achieve, but those 60fps with ray-tracing do make for a very pretty experience. I do, however, feel like this game also has a problem with its side content. It is better than 2018's, but it feels like sort of an afterthought. The Spider-Man help app really needed a few more missions than it did to not feel so much like an afterthought, and the enemy bases don't really feel like they fit in with this game. It's still fun doing trials and finding backpacks with fun trivia about the characters, but other than that it feels like Insomniac put it all in under extreme stress and couldn't really put in everything they wanted, making a lot of it feel really half baked and over as soon as it begun. The main story sort of has this issue as well as previously mentioned, but it's still good for the most part + manages to be very personal in a similar way to 2018 while still doing its own thing, and ends on what is probably the best designed boss fight in any of these two games.

Overall, though, Miles Morales is more of the same, which is a very good thing considering how much fun Spider-Man 2018 was. It tweaks a few things here and there, mostly for the better, and is a nice little story to keep me content until the "real" sequel arrives sometimes next year. Do sort of wish it could have introduced at least one more new villain to the story, but you can't always get what you want and it's a mighty fine experience as it is. Also some absolutely fantastic alternate costumes (not as good as Peter's since Miles doesn't have the same rich history of having used a million different costumes, but still). Everyone talks about the (fantastic) Into the Spider-Verse suit, but that Daft Punk-like suit and Miles Morales 2099 look super good as well.

Soundtrack highlight:
Worst Enemies

L5tnMnz.jpg

15. May 20th | Uncharted: Drake's Fortune | Playstation 4 | ~9h | Replay | ☆☆☆
(Played on PS5, but since it's the exact same game as it was on PS4, I'll mark it as Playstation 4 here. Does that make sense? Not sure, but that's what I'll do anyway.)

Last time I played this was in October 2020, so it's even recent enough to have been covered in one of these threads, but I only played it on Hard back then, which was honestly challenging enough. I don't really know why, but after playing Miles Morales I get this absolutely insane idea that I should probably play Drake's Fortune on Brutal, which everyone says is a terrible time and the game wasn't at all balanced around. I guess we all make mistakes, because I obviously did play it on Brutal anyway, and it very much is like everyone says it is. Crushing is difficult enough in this game, but I honestly don't know how some of these chapters are supposed to be beaten without a hefty amount of luck, because there are cases where you're doing the exact same thing as previously and just suddenly get shot before even getting behind cover, and the enemies are so good at aiming and do so much damage that they can basically kill you with their backs toward you and a pretty good distance away. I do think Drake's Fortune does sort of have a worse reputation these days than it deserves (though you really shouldn't be playing the much inferior PS3 version now that the remaster exists), but it's been a very long time since a game tried my patience this much. I mean, I can easily beat this game in under 5 hours, and this took me 9. That should say at least a bit about the Brutal difficulty and just insane unfairness towards the player.

At the same time it is interesting how such a high level of difficulty really forces you to get to know the game on a completely different level than on any of the other difficulties. Like, in most of this game on other difficulties you can just hide in one place and usually not move around too much no matter the battle, but on Brutal you can't really stay at one place and really have to plan every encounter based on knowing where enemies spawn, which weapon they use and when you can spend those precious grenades (you can get hit while aiming with a grenade, by the way. Doesn't really make sense since Drake is still hiding behind cover when doing it. Just one of those fun Drake's Fortune things) and where the optimal cover is for the start of the battle. This is not a thinking man's game usually, but a lot of strategy gets involved when trying to get through this mode, and it made getting through certain combat scenarios extremely satisfying when I finally found a route that worked for me. Sure, there's still some luck involved even when you've planned several steps ahead, but after a while I learned to expect that sort of jank from the game. The final chapter, which is usually very easy on other difficulties, is pure hell, however, no matter how much I planned and strategized. Every single stage of it felt like a complete lottery whether I'd succeed or die within a few seconds. Absolutely awful.

Otherwise, it's still Uncharted 1, which comes with both its very clear strengths and weaknesses. It is still my least favourite game in the series, but that says more about future instalments than it does this. I'm lazy and I've already written 4706 words for this May entry, so I'll just copy/paste what I wrote two years ago:

First things first: Nate's Theme is probably the best main theme of any game in the last 2 generations. I feel like people don't talk about it as much as they should. It's absolutely amazing. Besides that, Drake's Fortune has a fun story (if a bit inoffensive), the gun fights offered a challenge without ever feeling too challenging or long (though there are som extremely cheap enemy spawns in the latter half of the game), and even though the graphics feel very "early PS3", I like the setting the game takes place in. 60fps for the PS4 version is also such an amazing feeling. Not having played these games since Lost Legacy came out, I had forgotten how much I like the Uncharted main cast of Nate, Elena and Sully.

Drake's Fortune does kind of feel like how the first game in Insomniac (and I know this is a Naughty Dog game) franchises used to (by which I mean Ratchet & Clank and Spyro), where the characters don't really feel like themselves and act much meaner than in later games, which is sometimes a bit offputting. People joke about Nate being a serial killer in these games, but he almost feels like one for real here. There's also just way too much platforming for a game where none of the platforming is ever really that great.

I guess that about sums it up? Great, on to the next game.

Soundtrack highlight (other than Nate's Theme, I guess)
Showdown

YUr3j3Z.jpg

16. May 22th | Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards | Nintendo Switch | 5h | ☆☆☆
The year of the Kirb continues for me with this rerelase of Kirby 64, which I know I've beaten before though I'm pretty sure I used cheat codes to get 100% and just beat the final boss without actually playing most stages in the game, so it still felt like I was playing it for the first time. Also not sure how it emulates these days, but I played this on Project64 back in the day (maybe late 00's?) and it really couldn't handle the game that well and had a ton of graphical glitches. Was fun to finally experience the game as it's supposed to look, and like with most Kirby games a good time to play as well!

With that said, Kirby 64 certainly isn't the best Kirby. Probably not the worst either, but certainly my least favourite of the three I've played this year. I do want to say that I love how it looks and how creative HAL was with the different stage themings, not really recycling any of them as far as I can remember. Like, music is definitely recycled a lot (though still very good) and enemy variety is very low, but no stage is really that similar to another which of course isn't that hard when the game is as short as it is with its 24 stages, but it's very much appreciated after Forgotten Lands which is a better game than 64, but which also began running out of steam and new concepts about halfway through. This game doesn't have that problem, feeling fresh the entire way through. Also unlike Forgotten Lands, I very much appreciated being able to instantly exit a stage with my progress saved if I only needed to get one crystal shard or something like that (though it is very strange that this exit stage option is called "try again").

There is also a certain charm to this "Dark Matter" trilogy – which also includes Dreamland 2 and 3 – that isn't really seen in any of the other, often overall better, Kirby games. They are certainly slow and often a real pain to get through if you want to get the true ending, but they also have so much character. Kirby feels like he's about more than just eating cake, and these games really utilize his friends so good as well, with really making them feel important to the game and having some smaller gameplay sections to show off the power of teamwork in a very charming way. The animal partners from previous games in the trilogy are gone here, but Waddle-Dee, Adeline (who has to be the same character as Ado from Dreamland 3, right?) and DeDeDe are a charming bunch who interact with Kirby so well in a fun, pantomime way in the few cutscenes the game has, and while their gameplay sections aren't the most interesting they do give the game some needed variety here and there. Sort of wish more Kirby games would give him a team to interact with here and there, but it seems like he's lost almost all of them over the years. A bit sad to think about, honestly.

I do like to praise Kirby 64 because I feel like a lot of aspects that I enjoy about it seem to go unnoticed when people talk about it, but I can't deny the fact that this is a very mid Kirby game. It's not bad, but it's certainly not great either. Level design is boring and uninspired, not really giving you anything interesting until a factory level way late in the game, and even the NTSC version is insanely slow. Great art direction and fun concepts, sure, but actually playing through the game isn't as interesting as I wish it would have. Even worse is if you're trying to get 100% (which I did), you have to come into stages with the rigt set of power-ups in order to get access to the crystal shards. I used a guide for that and you should too, because even knowing what to use, that shit gets tedious pretty fast. It's worth it for being able to fight a supremely fucked up final boss, but not exactly fun to do.

The whole gimmick surrounding being able to combine power-ups also isn't that great. It's fun when you're trying out powers for the first time, but then you realize most of them are absolutely terrible and just stick to the very few that are actually usable. Would rather have seen that HAL focused on actually having a smaller pool of actually good power-ups than the high amount of terrible ones here. Even good ones, like electric + sword, loses a lot of its usability when Kirby can't even float while having his sick as hell sword out, and that's the case with most of them. Either they're just bad in every single way, or you lose something in the process of using them. I guess that does balance things out a bit, but it doesn't exactly make the game more fun, and almost like it punishes you for using the power-ups it wants you to use. It's pretty annoying.

Overall, though, Kirby 64 is a fun game, but more so thanks to HAL strong art direction and and its short length. I guess there's also some fun lore for those who care about that in Kirby games (I must admit that the thought of the Ice world being Earth is really interesting, though). It's also not like it's terrible to play, though it would certainly benefit from being just a few percents faster and having a bit more inspired level design. In many ways it feels like an extremely safe Kirby game, a franchise that's already very safe even in its most daring games, but it's got charm to last for a lifetime which, ultimately, did make the experience more than worth my while. This also isn't really anything impressive to anyone by me since this is 2022 and games look very good these days, but playing an N64 game with so many different background layers creating such a feeling of depth as this game does is very cool. Really good use of 2.5D.

Soundtrack highlight:
Factory Inspection

hDL3xrj.jpg

17. May 29th | Demon's Souls | Playstation 5 | 33h | ☆☆☆☆½
We're finally at the end of May, and it ends on a very high note. I played the original PS3 game last summer and it was very interesting to return to it with this very faithful remake. Once again Micolash (host of the nightmare) traveled to the Nexus, fought giant beasts, shielded himself from dogs, walked through a very slow, poisonous, swamp and killed a lot of blue eyed knights to get some healing weed. The main difference this time was that the game suddenly looks absolutely beautiful and has a much more stable frame rate, but biggest of them all: the photo mode.

Obviously the biggest difference was that I'd played the game once before already and therefore knew what to expect, but let's put that aside for a second and talk about this absolutely incredible photo mode. I feel like I really grew closer to my Micolash by getting all these photos of him merrilly going through these hellscapes, capturing a serene moment when laughing with Patches after he tried to trick me into some deadly trap, or when upper punching a Dragon God. It sort of gave this player avatar a lot more character and made me more involved in his journey when I got all of these photos and could manipulate both camera and expressions to really sort of give him a story and personality, and it also helped a lot in making me care about the other characters as well. Since I enjoyed the game so much and had already beaten it once before, I wanted to really see everything the game had to offer, so in this one playthrough I got pure white and pure black world tendency for every world, pure white and pure black character tendency in order to do every side quest, and I started out feeling great. From these photos, you could tell that Micolas was a friendly, happy guy who just wanted to help people and have a good time along the way. That was certainly in line with helping the NPCs and getting that pure white character tendency. Even beating their evil black ghost counterparts felt like the right thing to do since they were beyond saving by that point (and also very annoying to fight in some cases), but then I reached a point where all I had left before beating the game was Mephistophele's side quest which involves killing most of the NPC:s in the Nexus and I felt absolutely terrible about it, especially since you really don't get anything worthwile from it. Here I, as Micolash, was, killing the people I had taken these photos with while documenting the journey. These people Micolash saved, bought spells from, sometimes posed with and since I had somehow created this head canon for who Micolas was and all that, it felt so bad and it was great! This game really doesn't have much character depth or tangible story, but through this photo mode I somehow very much got into making one of my own, and even though that experience ended on a very sad note for me, it was still so satisfying and an experience I don't think I've ever had with a game before. And all that thanks to a great photo mode and main story that's barely there. That really is something you can't ever get from any other sort of medium than games, be they in video or board form, and this entire journey from happy to Punished Micolash is one that I won't soon forget.

Outside of my insane fantasies, it's also just a very good game. I guess some people prefer the original for a variety of reasons, but I feel like I'd have a hard time going back to that one after playing this absolutely incredible remake. It plays so much better in basically every single aspect, I mostly prefer the new look of it and the sound design should have won awards if that was a thing video games did (maybe they do?). From the first minute to the last, the Demon's Souls remake was an absolute pleasure to play through and while some stages are certainly better than others, there's not a single one I would want to remove or do any significant changes in. I certainly would have liked to see changes with some of the more uninspired bosses and the pretty broken Maneaters, but I guess you need some jank here and there to truly appreciate the good. Or to quote myself from last year's post about the game: "I did enjoy how hostile it felt, how little it cared about me, and how extremely janky it can feel at times."

To keep quoting myself because, you know, this has gone on for long enough:

Also really found myself enjoying the game's atmosphere. It's not exactly oppressive, but it's very clear that this is a world that doesn't want the player character to run around in it, and while the art direction outside of enemy design isn't all that interesting, the stage designs really brings home that this used to be a living, breathing world where something's gone horribly wrong. It's also just an incredibly dark games (visually, I mean. This is at times the Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem of video games) where you can barely see what's just a few steps ahead, and I love it. Makes you cautious and really respectful of what's potentially ahead. I didn't really feel it with Bloodborne for some reason, but getting to the next check point and clearing the next boss (despite them, as previously mentioned, being pretty so-so more often than not) really felt satisfying in this game, and I think it was because of this atmosphere. I persevered where I really shouldn't have, and my reward is to keep existing. Most of the time I also got most of my health back since becoming a ghost in this game is insanely punishing (though it is pretty generous with giving you items that give you your physical body back), but it's mostly down to atmosphere.

I really do think this will become a 5/5 whenever I replay it in the future because it is an incredible achievement both from FROM when making the original game and Bluepoint when refining the experience, but for now it'll have to stay on that frustrating 4,5 step before moving up to the highest point. As someone who just casually enjoyed Bloodborne a few years ago and never really thought I'd play another of these games, it feels so strange to say that, but I really am absolutely in love with Demon's Souls. What an experience this was to end the month with.

Soundtrack Highlight:
Maiden Astraea (which was better in the original, but even this more bombastic arrangement is really good)

And that's it for now! Look forward to the June update sometime in October!

Currently playing:
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (3DS (I swear I'm almost at the end now))
God of War (PS4)

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)

Last edited:

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
Wow, L Thammy you're absolutely blazing through the challenge. I gotta pick up the pace so will stick to short games for a while.

sm93eH9.png

19. Mr. Driller 2 (2000, Wii U - GBA vc) ★★☆☆☆
Fine Mr. Driller entry, if a tad anaemic. The formula remains unchanged: drill down a Tetris-esque well of blocks & hope none of them crush you on the way down. With just 4 levels, 2 near-identical characters, a rehashed story, and a time trials mode there's not a whole lot here to do if you don't want to grind out collectibles. Sadly the levels are very interchangeable and don't leverage the India/Egypt/Nordic/USA themes at all. The last level is really difficult too. The voice acting surprised me for a GBA game though - it's surprisingly audible.

okzu781.png

20. Mr. Driller: Drill Land (2002/2020, Switch) ★★★☆☆
The 5th Mr. Driller game, originally a Japan-only GameCube release, has the same problem all Mr. Driller games have where moving fast seems encouraged, but a slow approach is usually the safer route. However, it marks a significant jump in production values for the series. This time it has animated cut-scenes, a menu made to look like a 3D hub world, and multiple game modes iterating on the formula. Most of these modes aren't (pardon the pun) exactly earth-shattering, but the Tower of Druaga crossover feels like a very early glimpse at something akin to SteamWorld Dig. By no means an essential release, but it was a popular import at the time, remains eminently playable to this day, and cleans up nicely in HD.

UVFkLgk.png

21. Brave Tank Hero (2015, Wii U) ★☆☆☆☆
Slightly expanded port of the 3DS game, but the addition of 6 new levels might as well be considered a detriment. You ride around in one of three tanks in short bite-sized levels, blowing up enemy tanks and structures. Its cartoony visuals gesture at a semblance of personality, and the game attempts a single joke about a suspiciously often repeating mission objective, but there's not enough here to stave off blandness. Additionally, the game lacks basic options like rotating the camera, and can only muster a single, sedate music track to loop over and over again. As a result, excitement is entirely absent, leaving only monotony and boredom.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, L Thammy you're absolutely blazing through the challenge. I gotta pick up the pace so will stick to short games for a while.
Starting with short games and not 100%ing games are definitely the tricks to getting through a lot of games quickly here. Arcade shmups and beat em ups are generally short, so I've sort of been rotating between those two a lot.

I definitely want to 100% some of these later, though.

EDIT: And one more.

w500hdjx0.jpg

27. Tetris Effect: Connected
Good - ★★★☆ (3/4)

This game is by no means bad, but something about how positive it is sets off something very cynical in me. The gameplay is just Tetris, which is of course a fantastic game as a rule, but Tetris gameplay isn't that hard to find. I've made Tetris before on my own. The game includes a lot of settings to tweak, but I find myself somehow loathe to give it credit for starting with one of the most beloved games ever and simply delivering it as is. It probably doesn't help that I just recently played Space Invaders Extreme again, which has a similar aesthetic but is a much more transformative experience.

The real selling point is the visuals and audio, which are definitely nice. They react a bit to how you play. There's also a cohesive theme running throughout the game of the world being united through love of Tetris, often manifested by visuals pointing at different parts of the world. But again, my cynicism was flaring up, so I ended up focusing closely on the credits to see how long it took for a non-Japanese name to show up.

Ultimately, there isn't really anything too surprising about this game once you realize what it's about. I think most people will know immediately if it's their thing or not.

Main post

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

w50061kii.jpg

28. Twinkle Star Sprites
Outstanding - ★★★★ (4/4)

This is another hybrid between a shmup and a fighting game, with the emphasis this time being far more on the shmup side. It's kind of Puyo Puyo, but as a shmup - the two players are going through a simple infinite shmup stage by themselves, but as they destroy things they throw more enemies onto their opponent's side. I had played this game before and even spent some time battling a friend but I don't believe I've ever committed to beating it. We even skipped the tutorials so we were essentially playing it as though we were button mashing in a fighting game, able to control things enough to have fun but also not really making things happen by intention.

Here's the thing. My first instinct in a shmup is that I want to survive and I want to destroy as many enemies as I can. If you want to do that, you have a charge attack which is easier to hit with and has more power than your regular shot, so you can focus on clearing out the enemies. But clearing enemies in and of itself isn't actually how you attack.

When you destroy an enemy, it explodes, and other enemies caught in the explosion are destroyed as well, even enemies who might take multiple hits to destroy with your normal shot. It's when enemies are destroyed in this way that you send attacks to the opponent. Additionally, as you destroy enemies, you build up your maximum charge level on the meter at the bottom of the screen, but it reverts if you do a charged shot with the meter built up. If you max out that meter and charge the attack all the way, you can send a boss monster at the opponent along with a charge shot. So to take a more aggressive approach, you'd ideally want to focus your uncharged shots on the smallest and weakest enemies as they're clustered or lined up with a group that they can chain their explosions through, then deliver a charge shot after building up your meter.

Something to note is that the attacks you send to your opponent can also be chained, and in fact you deliver more powerful attacks by chaining those. So if you try to play aggressively, you're not only making the game harder for your opponent, you're giving them more opportunity to throw that same pressure back at you. The game can get intense this way, with so many things on screen that you start getting slowdown.

As a single player game, it's remarkably easy for a shmup. A shmup is typically prone to stacking the odds against you, so when you're fighting on even ground, it's a huge change. You can't be killed by regular enemies, only opponents' attacks and the rare appearance of Death, plus you have more than once change to defeat your opponent, so it also feels a lot more lenient when compared to the genre convention of one hit kills.

Main post

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
29 - Unavowed - SteamDeck - 8 hours / 17th July - 10/10
Fantastic throwback to the glorious golden age of point n click adventure games. I loved the characters and the stories it's telling, it's also amazing to see how many's different ways there are of playing this game depending on the character archetype you chose at the start and which team mates you select for each mission, it's a thing of beauty. The ending is also very rewarding, taking into account all the decisions you made throughout the adventure.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #52 - Alwa's Awakening
Time: 7 hours
Rating: ★★★

Bit torn on this one, as it does a lot of things well, but the gameplay can't hold up to the rest of the game, which is a shame. Muchh like Shovel Knight, it goes for a 8-bit asthetic and both the visuals and the soundtrack emulate the era quite well, and the level and game design is quite good. Like I said, unfortunately the gameplay also emulates the 8-bit era, so it feels super stiff, unlike the aforementioned Shovel Knight or Infernax, which go for a 8-bit style but have moden gameplay, this doesn't, and with the amount of 1 hit kill traps, especially in the endgame, it can get frustrating (I straight up wouldn't have finished the game without using the respawn after dying option, because going back to a save every time would hahve been awful for me). I would still recomend it (again, especially with the respawn after dying option) as it's very well made, just go in expecting some old school stiff gameplay. I am however excited to try out the 16-bit inspired sequel, hopefully they tighten up the gameplay.

Main Post

and that makes 52. EZ this year :D

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Congrats Rhaknar! Envious of how quick some of you guys are blowing by this challenge, this usually goes down to November or December for me every year that i've participated.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
48. Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak (17/7/22) ★★★★★

UiuDwZ6.jpg

Monster Hunter exists in a seemingly perpetual state of nailing it, while I may have a few preferences here and there for certain bits and parts of entries gone by and aspects of the newer ones I'm not so hot on, I tend to be of the opinion that ultimately the newest outing edges out the prior one pretty much every generation.

Now that Rise has reached its final complete form with the master rank expansion, yep, the tradition holds (it's actually part of the same gen as World but you get what I mean)
Where Sunbreak overtakes the previous champion Iceborne, is heavily based on not having the clutch claw tenderising bullshit the new skill switching ability.
Expanding on the customisable move set options Rise added for every weapon, are now yet more options, and the ability to switch between two loadouts of them at any point mid mission.
What initially seems like a pretty "neat I guess" gimmick, turns out to have a lot more to it. Notably, take new options for the Great Sword and Hammer for instance, offering two different styles of play (both could be described as having their slower traditional charging heavy option, and now also get a more speedy chain combo option). Being able to bounce between charge hammer and combo hammer stylings mid fight not only opens the door to switch things up as and when necessary, but does a lot for keeping your 20 minute punch ups fresh throughout.
For instance, I'm not really into the great sword true charge slash combos playstyle, now with the surge slash combined with rage slash, I get to be a more unga bunga kinda great sword dude, and when the monster gets knocked over I can switch over to the classic charged hits for the meaty damage.

Effectively there's never been more options, since Rise and its portable team devs have been leaning into a more kitchen sink approach where every weapon gets a ridiculous toolkit since Generations, this basically feels like the refined form of all that work.
Modern monster hunter can allow the player to get away with a bit too much nonsense, I'm not sure this is ever going to go away now, so I've sorta made my peace with it (and I honestly feel some weapons like dual blades and gunlance are more enjoyable than ever as a result). Sunbreak still carries on from Rise in this respect while giving the master rank monsters some more tricky moves, traps that punish overzealous dodging, moving faster and hitting harder.
It strikes a pretty decent balance all things considered, while I hope to leave behind some of this entries quirks come the next entry, I'll still enjoy them here for what they are, which is basically me saying that Wyvern riding is too strong, but boy is it still a fun power trip and break in the usual action.

I will say that in the early stages, Sunbreak feels fatigued, it holds back a lot of its fully new and pseudo new returning content until you reach the midpoint of the DLC campaign, so the early goings are a bit of a plodding experience that hope that showing you a returning giant enemy crab from the jump can sustain you until they get to the new map and monsters.
Fortunately, once you hit the midgame, the ride never ends, the content flows forth, you unlock all the extra moves you were missing, more tasty armour sets with new skills beckon and just like that, the loop is back on.
Oh and adding hunts alongside NPC characters was something I didn't expect to enjoy as much as I did, this feature has to become a series staple surely.

And now you can put an owl head on your character, 10/10

rK38hhL.jpg

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

w500wvjsb.jpg

29. Gate of Doom
Flawed - ★★☆☆ (2/4)

Via Retro Classix 2-in-1 Pack: Gate of Doom & Wizard Fire.

This is an isometric beat-em-up styled after Dungeons & Dragons; the attract sequence even shows a character sheet for every player character listing their alignments. You can collect equipment which seems to have some minor effect and you can get status ailments, but that's about it as far as RPG elements goes. It's mostly interesting just because isometric beat-em-ups aren't that common. The combination of elements makes me think of Gauntlet, which is also kind of a dumb popcorn game with a skin-deep RPG presentation.

Aside from its perspective which allows for a little bit more exploration, the other positive that comes to mind about this game is the magic. Using the wizard, much of it has you transform into something with superpowered attacks, like turning into a medusa head that can instantly kill enemies by turning them to store with its eyebeams. The transformation lasts for a while, and it's recharged through your magic meter rather than cast from health like a Final Fight style desperation attack, so you can wreak havoc through some of the stages. For some reason, it seems to be completely disabled during stage end bosses, though, which is when you might most want to be powered up.

That brings us to the negatives. The game seems to be a hopelessly unpolished mess. Enemies have too much health, bosses' attacks are nigh undodgeable. Of course, this is free play, and so I tend not to think of the game being difficult as a negative if I can quarter feed my way through, which is entirely possible here. But it reads to me as a little different with this one, where the people making the game didn't really care if there were people who wanted to become good at it, and so it doesn't really feel like an issue of either reaction time or not immediately understanding the pattern when the game kills you. Additionally, I don't know if it's the original game or this port, but I feel that the analogue stick is way too sensitive to diagonals, so when I'm walking on a narrow path or near a ledge I'm inevitably falling off a whole lot because I can't seem to consistently keep to a cardinal direction.

That's not to say that I didn't have fun with the game. There are worse beat-em-ups than this. But I don't think I'd recommend this to anyone unless I've exhausted all of other options.

Main post

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

header.jpg

24. 神都不愿探 Underdog Detective: DLC - Episodes 6-17
An absolute joy from start to finish. The story picks up right where the first part left off. Make no mistake, this is the true meat of the game. Again it's incredibly disappointing that you essentially pay for a demo and then an extra $28 for the rest of the game. But this part felt worth the price. Great story, characters and acting. The detective parts were a lot of fun. I enjoyed this so much I plan to check out the TV series. I hope we get more games with Du Xun.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
45: Star Fox. End: 7/18/2022. (4 out of 5)

The original Star Fox is a classic arcade-style 3D rail shooter. It is very good at being what it is. And it is very fun. Even after almost 30 years. While the graphics certainly aren't as mind-blowing these days, the gameplay is still as fun as ever.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

w500bsk23.jpg

30. Wizard Fire
Flawed - ★★☆☆ (2/4)

I don't know whether to say that Wizard Fire is better or worse than its predecessor, Gate of Doom. You can use your magic during boss fights but it's weak now and doesn't last very long. Those boss fights now have more reasonable patterns but they have tons of health instead. On top of that, the game throws annoying status ailments at you constantly. From the basic gameplay I think I'm overall leaning to it being worse.

But one thing that makes Wizard Fire way better is that it's now part of the tradition of arcade games with cheesy gratuitous voice clips. There's a voiced cutscene preceding every level, and some of them are pretty lengthy.

There's also a tiny bit more creativity in that there's a teleport maze stage and one where a dragon generates gusts with its wings to blow you off a platform. But those stages make up a small portion of the game altogether.

Main post

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
46: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge. End: 7/19/2022. (4.5 out of 5)

I don't think I've ever seen a game try to cash in on nostalgia, outside of Smash Bros., as much as this game does. But underneath that 1980s TMNT nostalgia is a great beat-em-up. And that's what really makes this game something special.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

w500yvjqd.jpg

31. Untitled Goose Game
Good - ★★★☆ (3/4)

This game is alright. I think I missed out on the sense of novelty by taking so long to beat it, but it's not a bad game at all.

I've fond the actionization of the stealth genre to be frustrating, since stealth is pushed to the background and devalued when the developers are afraid to upset the player by punishing them for not committing to the play style. By being a non-violent game, Untitled Goose Game kind of solves that problem neatly - you only have to be stealthy when you're up to some sort of mischief, and the only penalty for failing is that whatever you're trying to do is interrupted, so there isn't a whole lot of pressure.

I don't think I did particularly well playing this. The issue was that I kept running into the adventure game problem where I'd come up with a solution, perhaps an overly elaborate one, but it wouldn't work because it isn't the solution the game was looking for. I feel like what I'd want from a sequel is for the game to become more open-ended in that sense.

Main post

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
30 - Stray - PS5 - 4 hours / 21st July - 9/10
Wonderful little adventure but I do wish there was 1 more large city area to explore as the two that are in the game are fantastic. Each area is fun and each mechanic only stays long enough to not become dull. The cat controls beautifully and seeing the city from that point of view never gets old. The 2 main city hubs are so well realised that I only wish there was one more to explore to that level as the game is a tad too short.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

w5003qkuy.jpg

32. Wild Guns: Reloaded
Outstanding - ★★★★ (4/4)

This game is a Cabal-like, where you're on the foreground attacking enemies in the background, and you move your cursor and character at the same time. Like The Ninja Saviors, it's an enhanced remake of a SNES game, featuring more animated graphics, a first boss redesigned to look even bigger, and additional playable characters.

I've tried the game before, so I had some idea of how to play. On top of the defensive roll retained from Cabal, this game adds a double jump, letting you quickly cross over all the way to the other side of the screen while avoiding almost all enemy fire. That's your main defensive tool. Besides having more powerups for your gun than Cabal does and a super mode which you build up, you also have a melee attack for enemies that get close and a lasso which you can use to slow down or stop enemies, particularly some of the bigger ones that have large attack areas and a lot of health. The lasso and gunfire can also gun through some slower enemy shots.

The game has four difficulties. Hard mode is locked at the start, so normal is the hardest one. I played on that mode, but I think easy mode was the standard one. While The Ninja Saviors was a pushover aside from one boss, Wild Guns is pretty demanding. While it was never so difficult that I didn't think I had hope of progressing legitimately and the game gives unlimited continues, I always had to have a plan of action to go forward, and the lives given and length of each stage were exactly matched to what I could handle comfortably.

I do have two major complaints, although neither are so big that I would dock the game significantly for it. The more specific one is that there's a level where the screen is dark, and you can only temporarily light it by your character passing through the darkness or by shooting through it. I don't like that stage gimmick. The darkness even blocks out your cursor, so you might lose track of where you're shooting, not just your enemies. There's no time to deliberately light up the screen nor any easier way to light it that I noticed, so you just have to deal with this garbage all level and hope for the best. The saving grace is that it otherwise isn't a particularly hard level, so it doesn't throw off the difficulty or anything, it's just that the implementation is more of an annoyance than a challenge.

The other complaint is that the game still maps multiple actions to particular buttons and there's no way to remap them to the unused buttons. I get that it would throw off the balance of the game, but there are some times when I accidentally use the wrong move, particularly the lasso from tapping the attack button. Say an opponent is walking up to me on the melee plane, and I'm jumping towards them. I want to get a melee attack in as soon as I'm on the ground, so I tap the attack button thinking that it's going to trigger the melee attack when the opponent gets close. But instead of triggering the melee attack for an individual tap, it's triggering the lasso from the multiple taps, so I'm instead leaving myself wide open. Kind of a niche case, I suppose, but I think it would be nice to at least have the option.

Main post

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
49. Neon White (21/7/22) ★★★★

I'm not sure there's another game out there that's quite as potent at making you feel like a speedrunning machine with such relative ease.
This is a pure flow focused game, initially it was making me think "what if Doom Eternal's first person air dashing platforming was built up into an entire game?", it's of course a lot lot more than that.

On the first person spectrum, make no mistake that this is more platformer than shooter, it does however blend the two elements together in a way that's very complimentary. Initially its talk of discarding cards/guns for platforming moves and what not, sounds like the basis for some overly complicated madness.
It's in fact kind of the opposite, a game that's laser focused on giving you the right tools at the right time, which elegantly gets around any controller gymnastics and worrying about which button does what.
In turn you might also think this would leave the game being a bit too simplistic or on rails, and in some small respects that could be seen as right. The secret sauce here is that during these bitesized turbo charged obstacle courses, there's always a way to snip off that little bit more time, to look at the environment and realise you could utilise one skill elsewhere to shave off an entire segment.

In platforming lore, floaty is a term that carries immediate negative connotations (and often appears in era incorrectly as "I don't like thing" for games that aren't floaty at all, but I digress), it doesn't have to be this way, as Neon White shows with its frequent moments of hangtime that give you enough space to quickly glance around over the void, sight your next target and immediately take back off again.
The level design manages to almost always lead you in the right direction, despite some of the dizzying rapid movements and constant switching up of your cards, I feel like you could show clips of the last game stages to people with no context, and they'd think you were some kind of gaming God, when in reality it's actually very manageable, like a game that lands at the perfect intersection between making it easy enough to look cool, while still requiring you to earn those cool points.

Tight controls extend to the generous shooting and aiming that utilise the powers of auto aim and generous hitboxes for good, Neon White doesn't want you to break your flow to engage in fiddly pew pewing, it's taking all the steps to iron out any creases in its formula, it is ultimately, an incredibly satisfying game to play and replay as you go after those platinum medals (we don't talk about the red medals though, nah I'm good).

With all this glowing praise, there's gotta be a catch that holds back the vaunted five stars.
And it's really just that many of the aspect around the core platforming gameplay is a bit mixed.
On paper the visual novel like elements are a good way to break up the relentless pace of platforming, this would however require said segments to have good dialogue and some interesting quirks of its own.
Unfortunately, here's where Neon White stumbles, proudly boasting of being a game for all you anime loving freaks out there, it delivers this with writing that's more like anime internet message board than an actual anime. The funny thing is that the game's core plot is interesting enough, predictable but enjoyable, it's just that the dialogue carries with it a tone of something that desperately wants to be funnier than it actually is, laying on those memes, references and quirky bants that doesn't quite fall flat, it just lands with no impact at all really.
And there's extra stages tucked away in the simplistic relationship system (I'm not sure you could even call it a system really) so there's a certain amount of burning through text to get all that tasty platforming content. There is something kinda funny about how the game's most annoying character also has hidden stages that are designed to be intentionally trollish, it almost makes up for how tedious they are to deal with, but not quite.

Basically NW's visual novel parts are kinda like the parts of the meal you merely tolerate and eat to ensure you can clear the whole plate, the rest of the meal is some prime steak, and this here's the overpriced iceberg wedge forced upon you or something.
Still, at least the game goes for a vibe, maybe I'm not freak enough for it, I feel like I should be but oh well.

Otherwise though, to reiterate, this is some top notch platforming, difficulty curve hits the spot just right.
Once it hits the mid game and the environment variety increases and some of the more fun cards come into play, the game just kinda takes off, one of the best games I've played so far in 2022 for sure.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
47: It Takes Two. End: 7/22/2022. (4 out of 5)

It Takes Two is a game that relies being a partnership. And how much enjoyment you get out of the game depends on how much enjoyment you have with the person you are playing the game with.

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
01. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (Dreamcast) | Jan/02 - 10hrs | ★★★★★
02. Super Mario World (SNES) | Jan/02 - 5hrs | ★★★★★
03. Super Mario 64 (N64) | Jan/08 - 17hrs | ★★★★★
04. Unpacking (PC) | Jan/08 - 4hrs | ★★★★☆
05. Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES) | Jan/15 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
06. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (Sega Saturn) | Jan/16 - 2hrs | ★★★★★
07. Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii) | Jan/18 - 12hrs | ★★★★★
08. Banjo-Kazooie (XBO) | Jan/24 - 11hrs | ★★★★★
09. Cyber Shadow (XBO) | Jan/28 - 8hrs | ★★★☆☆
10. Destiny 2: Forsaken (PS4) | Jan/29 - 8hrs | ★★★★☆
11. The Medium (PC) | Feb/15 - 9hrs | ★★☆☆☆
12. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered (PS4) | Feb/16 - 35hrs | ★★★★★
13. Touhou Luna Nights (XBO) | Feb/18 - 6hrs | ★★★★☆
14. ARCADE GAME SERIES: Ms. PAC-MAN (PS4) | Feb/19 - 2hrs | ★★★★☆
15. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Session! (PS4) | Mar/01 - 40hrs | ★★★★★
16. Persona 5 (PS4) | Mar/28 - 150hrs | ★★★★★
17. Xeodrifter (PS Vita) | Mar/30 - 2hrs | ★★★☆☆
18. Gorogoa (XBO) | Apr/06 - 1hr | ★★★☆☆
19. Need for Speed (PS4) | Apr/07 - 25hrs | ★★☆☆☆
20. Kero Blaster (PS4) | Apr/10 - 5hrs | ★★★★☆
21. Jak II (PS4) | Apr/17 - 15hrs | ★★☆☆☆
22. OFF (PC) | Apr/19 - 6hrs | ★★★★★
23. Celeste (PS4) | Apr/22 - 14hrs | ★★★★☆
24. The Artful Escape (Xbox) | Apr/23 - 3hrs | ★★☆☆☆
25. Flywrench (PS4) | Apr/27 - 2hrs | ★★★☆☆
26. Streets of Rage 4 (XBO) | Apr/28 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
27. Save Room - Organization Puzzle (PC) | Apr/29 - 2hrs | ★★★☆☆
28. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4) | May/13 - 6hrs | ★★★★☆
29. Never Alone (Kisima Inŋitchuŋa) (PS4) | May/15 - 3hrs | ★★★☆☆
30. Transistor (PS4) | May/22 - 16hrs | ★★★★★
31. Resident Evil (PS4) | Jun/05 - 16hrs | ★★★★☆
32. Mega Man 2 (Mega Man Legacy Collection) (PS4) | Jun/08 - 2hrs | ★★★★★
33. Mega Man 3 (Mega Man Legacy Collection) (PS4) | Jun/09 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
34. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (PS4) | Jun/15 - 35hrs | ★★★★☆
35. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge (PC) | Jun/18 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
36. Umurangi Generation (PC) | Jun/19 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
37. Tetris Effect (PS4) | Jun/21 - 20hrs | ★★★★★
38. Trek to Yomi (XBO) | Jun/23 - 3hrs | ★★☆☆☆
39. Asura's Wrath (XBO) | Jun/25 - 12hrs | ★★★★★
40. Disc Room (PC) | Jun/26 - 4hrs | ★★★★☆
42. Cuphead (PC) | Jul/22 - 7hrs | ★★★★★
43. Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course (PC) | Jul/22 - 4hrs | ★★★★★

42. Cuphead (PC) | Jul/22 - 7hrs | ★★★★★
zGrb9TX.gif

Revisiting after playing around release time, it's nice to see the updates Studio MDHR made since then. The overall experience turned out to be easier than I remembered the first time around, especially trying out the weapons added with the DLC. I'm still impressed with how beautiful this game is, how much I like the colors, the music, the characters... in short, everything. One aspect or another can make the experience a little frustrating, especially the shoot'em up stages, but not enough to tarnish this excellent work.​

43. Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course (PC) | Jul/22 - 4hrs | ★★★★★
G76mL5l.gif

The reason that I revisited the original game. Even though it's short, it's easy to see why Cuphead only had this DLC after 5 years. Perhaps the most beautiful game ever made, the animation quality it's almost unbelievable. Each boss is such a unique visual spectacle and it's just so many things happening that defeats never really bothered me, I just wondered what the next surprise would be. The soundtrack fully lives up to the original game, it is already among my favorites. The gameplay additions are also very welcome, and they complement the main game very well, especially Miss Chalice, although it takes some time getting used to her parry after playing a lot with the other protagonists. The wait was definitely worth it, The Delicious Last Course is everything an expansion should be and it's just not better because it ends too soon, a shame it's so short. But I can't wait for whatever is baking in Studio MDHR's oven.​

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

header.jpg

25. BiOTA
What I thought was going to be a run and gun turned out to be a hybrid metroidvania/shooter. BiOTA is aimed squarely at hitting the 80s/90s nostalgia buttons. There's a reference to about every alien/monster franchise or movie that you can think of. It doesn't control fabulous when it comes to jumping but the save anywhere feature is nice enough that it balances any platforming annoyance out. Bosses are unfortunately very boring, even if they look good. But the vehicle levels are a highlight and each area sports a thumping, cool soundtrack. I loved playing with the palette swap and every character was pretty fun to play.

Cheat Code

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Main Post

CC-Klonoa-1.png

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
8/10

Was great to revisit a childhood favourite, and whilst it maybe wasn't the most INCREDIBLE remake, it does the job. I did have that standard childhood game thing where literally the only things I remembered were level 1 and Jokah, and was surprised at the difficulty spike you see in the late game and Extra Vision. Some challenging platforming there.

Unfortunately there are couple of annoying quirks to the Wind Bullet, especially on ramps and the FUCKING window puzzle, which makes things more difficult that they should be. It's really the only major issue though, and I honestly can't remember if that was the case in the original too.

CC-Project-Hel.png

Ghostrunner: Project Hel
8/10

Was nice to revisit Ghostrunner, as I really enjoyed the base game, and the only thing I wish was also part of this DLC was that HEL was playable in the base game, because she super fun as a playable character. Simplifying the special moves and making them much easier to charge makes the combat arenas way faster and more dynamic, and the subtle changes in how Hel moves keeps the pace up. Daniel Deluxe was also on one for these levels, some absolutely brilliant music.

Like with the base game, boss battles are a bit of a mixed bag, which is sort of standard for these style of one-hit kill games. I think the bosses taking the bullet hell angle is definitely the way to go, and if there is a Ghostrunner 2, they should definitely try to avoid the perfect parry sword bosses, which aren't quite as fun. There's also a massively bullshit corridor in level 2 where you have to stay out of LOS of a billion robots. Fuck that corridor.

CC-Olli-Olli-World.png

OlliOlli World
5/10

Aaaah, fuck this game. Probably one of the biggest mishandlings of an IP, from my perspective, since Mirror's Edge. I'm not even a long-term fan, I only got into the first two games this year, and some of the changes they've made here completely ruin the flow that was perfected in OlliOlli 2. The wallriding doesn't work properly, the analog spinning makes it near impossible to land perfect manuals, the grabs means you constantly have to have the R-stick pushed to maximise points (meaning you don't see ANY flip animations) and the checkpoints mean the levels are too easy for casual players and fucking annoying for people going for perfect runs.

Not to mention the characters and story, it's absolutely embarrassing that boomer-level "cool" writing exists in 2022 without a hint of irony. If I could give this game a 1/10 I would, but the art is nice and the core of OlliOlli is still there. Guess I'll have to play Void Riders at some point.

CC-Spyro-the-Dragon.png

Spyro the Dragon
7/10

Start of a little bit of a retro theme for this batch of games, and decided to finally get around to playing Spyro Re-Ignited. I've always had more memories of Year of the Dragon, so it was interesting to play the original game for the first time. Spyro controls really weirdly, and it felt uncomfortable at the beginning, but eventually I found myself zooming around trying to do blatantly unfeasible glide jumps. It also took me like 3 hours to realise you could have your dragonfly find gems. I 100%ed the opening levels through sheer force of will.

I think what lets Spyro 1 down a bit is the lack of depth, and combat especially is borderline pointless. Some boss fights don't even feel like bosses until you beat them and realise you've won. I suppose there's only so much you can do with a fire blast and a charge, but I think going for a puzzle boss vibe would've done the trick. I guess we'll see what happens in Ripto's Rage and Year of the Dragon.

CC-Ape-Escape.png

Ape Escape
7/10

Here's a controversial statement, the only Ape Escape games I've ever played are Ape Academy 1 + 2. I fucking LOVE Ape Academy, so with Ape Escape arriving with PS+, what better time to try out the original. It's place in history is of course very important, perhaps being the sole reason why dual analog controls exist at all, but I think you can tell they didn't know for sure back in the day how they actually should work.

Automatic camera controls always suck, and with your R-stick being dedicated to doing stuff, you are stuck with it. Beyond that though, as a puzzle adventure the game is fun. Good variety in environments and puzzles, and I think it's always been funny how every monkey has a name and a personality. I think it runs out of steam near the end, but gets boosted back up with the funfair finale, which is a cool gauntlet exploring every gimmick you've learnt across the game. Shame to hear Ape Escape 2 is dogshit on PS5.

CC-Nickelodeon.png

Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl
6/10

I've played some shitty Smash clones, and even though this is a bit rough around the edges, I did enjoy my time smashing out the platinum. The arcade mode lacks depth, unfortunately, and the AI is way easier to abuse than Smash Bros, but the majority of characters have interesting gimmicks and all-round pretty fun to play.

Where this game really shines is the online, because it doesn't have nearly as many obsessive nerds 4-stocking you immediately. Edge-guarding as Reptar is incredibly funny, and landing that brutal aerial up-strong is very satisfying. A lot of the characters have gimmicks you will immediately recognise from Smash, but there are some unique ideas in characters like April O'Neil that are fun to figure out and play as and against. Could be better, but honestly could be MUCH worse.

CC-Tekken-7.png

Tekken 7
9/10

With the complete edition on sale, I decided to revisit what, for my money, the best fighting game of all time to clean up the platinum. As a long-time Kunimitsu fan, playing her in Tekken 7 is an absolute joy, with a lot of freedom in combos and engagement. Haven't committed as hard to the other DLC characters yet, but some of the newcomers like Leroy have insanely good designs (even if they killed the competitive scene for a time). Seeing HD Geese is also fun, and also why the fuck is Negan in this game.

Treasure Battle is honestly the prime single player mode for this game. The story mode is probably why this game isn't a perfect 10/10, it is very boring, until you get to mega Akuma and it becomes borderline impossible. I also didn't have too many issues with the apparently shit online netcode, and dicking around in tournaments spamming the same combos is very funny. Bring on Tekken 8 (with Kunimitsu).

CC-Kurushi.png

Kurushi (aka I.Q: Intelligent Qube)
6/10

Definitely has the early PS1 weird vibe, and there isn't really anything like it. It's quite dynamic for a puzzle game, and the late-game is where you first start getting puzzles with stricter solutions, but unless your going for constant perfects you don't have really have to worry about it too much. The absolutely unhinged music choices are also hilarious, they do not fit the game at all.

Didn't have too much trouble with the game, and it does lack depth. You don't really see any new mechanics introduced at all, and I think there is potential in new types of blocks/power-ups if for whatever reason they decide to revisit the IP. Worth a play if you want a bit of an evening brainteaser.

CC-Superliminal.png

Superliminal
7/10

Some fantastic technology developed for this game, I remember watching the tech demo they had developed YEARS ago going over some of the gimmicks they had established for the game, in awe of what you could do. Unfortunately, this actually meant I already knew the solutions to some key puzzles before I even started them, but it was quite funny spotting the stuff they were showing off back in 2013.

I don't think the game needed to go for the weirdo mind-fuck story, and honestly I think it would be much better off just bolstering the length of it's levels. It's strange that they never revisit certain gimmicks, or combining them that a lot of puzzle games tend to do in their end levels. I think the final release might be a bit of a missed opportunity, and it is very short if you don't struggle with the puzzles. Most of your time will be trying to turn something around.

CC-HOTD.png

The House of the Dead Remake
7/10

So I've always had more vivid memories of House of the Dead 2, and because of how much more difficult it is to find legitimate versions of the original, it was pretty nice to have this available. The result is an honestly fine version of the game, but HOTD1 is VERY short compared to later entries, and there isn't really as much variety. Bosses are pretty easy too, up until Magician who is a complete dickhead.

I kinda wish there was a classic graphics setting, or an emulated version of the original, as it has a sort of kitschy charm to it, but with the massive changes in the physics, that probably wouldn't be feasible. It's not the deepest game, nor the most interesting, but it is a fun hour or so playing in co-op, and even though a lot of people were down on this as a remake, I'm honestly pretty excited for the second to come out.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
31 - Blackwell Legacy - SteamDeck / 23rd July - 7/10
The WadjetEye collection was on sale on Steam during the summer sale so I thought I'd go through them all in order. I'd played a few of them before and always enjoyed them. The first one, Blackwell Legacy, is fun and the notes system interesting, it's just very short and feels more like a prologue than a full game.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
32 - Blackwell Unbound - SteamDeck - 3 hours / 24th July - 7/10
I enjoyed the first Blackwell game more. It was nice to get some backstory about the aunt but the cases and characters weren't as fun as the case in the first one.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

w500pqk93.jpg

33. Sengoku 3
Good - ★★★☆ (3/4)

If Streets of Rage 4 stands out for eschewing the style-over-substance rut that beat-em-up games had fallen into, Sengoku 3 personifies that rut. Besides looking great, the main appeal of the game is allowing for some really huge combos - you have an unarmed and weapon chains, and dash attacks or projectiles can link those chains together. But the brawling, the real meat of the thing, is kind of a mess.

Crowd control doesn't really feel like a big thing in this. Enemies aren't aggressive enough to really punish you for leaving your back to them, and your throws aren't really great for moving them around. The bigger threats are that they tend to go just off screen where they can easily hit you but you can't hit them, and they'll often just walk through your combo, especially after they've just been knocked down. It just feels like the game doesn't really know how to challenge you based on the abilities it's given you, so it leaves some bullshit in just to take quarters away. Enemies also take tons of damage to kill, but that's probably just to give you reason to try to figure out how to make huge combos, and it lets you gain more super meter so why not. What's hilarious is that this also extends to boxes, where it takes a half dozen sword slashes for you to break a wooden chair.

Some other wonkiness. The game seems to realize that lengthy combos might leave you exposed, so you can do a power throw - at least with Kagetsura - which does damage in line with a combo to a single enemy. It also knocks down a bunch of enemies and you're invulnerable when doing it, which kind of leads me to think that it's probably better than doing combos in the first place, except that the input is finicky. Dash attacks linking chains might make combos too loose, since I found that just repeating unarmed dash attacks seemed to combo infinitely.

For what it's worth, I still like the game, and it's nowhere near as much of a mindless button masher as the goofball nonsense Konami was pushing out. But I don't think it's really as deep as it presents itself as.

Main post

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD

Quick Update

master40.png

• Mummy Demastered - I actually didn't enjoy this one as much as I thought I would
  • ZeroRanger - This game is fantastic start to finish. I was really hooked on this
  • Wild Arms - While it does nothing extrodinary, it really is a solid RPG and I could not put this down
  • The Getaway- While it has plenty of issues, it does feel unique in its setup and when it works, its a blast
  • Tales of Arise - RPG comfort food. Really impressive to look at and listen to.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
50. Panel De Pon (and Pokemon Puzzle League) (27/7/22) ★★★

I'm gonna lump these two together because, like it's basically the same game in a sense, different packaging and all, but the same fundamental core.

Puzzle League is a franchise i've dabbled with on rare occasions, but not much more than that, mainly just the animal crossing new leaf minigame version and a few minutes of emulated tetris attack once upon a time.
Block puzzlers in their various forms are like my gaming kryptonite, there are not many genres I consider myself bad at, but these sorts of games (tetris/puyo etc), just have my number. Like my brain isn't capable of planning the moves in advance to pull off the sick combos or something.

Anyway, despite this, I was pretty pumped to see the Pokemon puzzle league game pop up on the N64 Switch app, I always saw this in magazines as a kid and look, it's like the anime, that was cool, at the time anyway.
To finally play it was like a nostalgia trip regardless of never having played it, because boy is this living through the kanto league anime. You boot it up and you're hit with the cheapest sounding midi take on the anime's opening theme, and it just keeps going from there, dinky versions of pikachu's jukebox/2 B A Master CD are all over the game, they sound cheap as heck and I didn't care, I was here for it.
Digitised voice clips, an actual animated opening with the NARRATOR as well, send me back to my carefree childhood days!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZNTPyEofuI&list=PLB55C6EF7D043CD03&index=6&ab_channel=Skaz9000
Pokemon ala Gene Belcher's keyboard

Eventually though I had to start playing, fortunately easy mode lives up to its name, didn't have much trouble bumbling through.
Normal is where things started getting hairy for me, I took a break midway through to play the team rocket mode which was actually fine up until it turned into a full 3D variation where you had an entire cylinder of blocks to deal with.
So back to the main game, after noting the tutorials, trying some puzzle rooms, I felt like I had more of a handle on things, enough to work through normal mode, only to be hit with another sudden ending that indicates that "okay chump, but to actually beat this game, you gotta do this on hard".
So right now Blaine is my roadblock, he prevents me from closing in any further on the credits, so I can't say I've beaten this one.

However, curiosity took hold, now I had an idea of how to play, could I tackle the original SNES panel de pon?
It's a shame that Nintendo kinda shun Lip and the other fairies, I mean I get it for back in the day where it got the Yoshi reskin because it was the nineties and ewwww girls. Beyond that though, the path that led to the completely charisma-less DS Puzzle league is some baffling stuff.
Anyway, Panel de Pon, it has a chill vibe, nice visuals, great music, I'm a fan.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9EuRrRgGSI&list=PL7R80LC052WmUm5dgwJ8qfjnWMuPeBWri&index=4&ab_channel=BigtheCat

I bumbled through the japanese menu to find the VS mode, put it on normal thinking that pokemon had prepared me for this...
Oh you silly Owl.

It was pretty smooth sailing initially, the SNES game plays smoother than the N64 variation, I felt like I'd actually get combos in this version and it wasn't always complete luck on my part. My first small hurdle was the last fairy lady of the bunch, I foolishly assumed them to be the last opponent because wishful thinking.
Then the Phoenix thing came in, and it was a difficulty spike through my very soul, I persevered.
THEN THE DRAGON CAME IN, my continues hit 30 by the time I finally managed to pull out a victory, cussing all the way...

THEN THE ACTUAL FINAL BOSS* MAN CAME IN.
Holy shit, this guy, yo forget Cuphead DLC, forget Elden Ring, this is the boss that handed me my arse on a platter the most this year, my continues went over FIFTY.
I legitimately thought I couldn't do it, each time I felt like i'd maybe pulled out a miracle combo, I'd glance over at the CPU board and see them with a neat and tidy board, like they just dealt with my trash blocks in 5 seconds when I wasn't looking.
This was when I truly felt that I wasn't good enough, my genre limitations had finally set in for good.
Eventually though, through sheer perseverance, and accessing a temporary flow state of pure block shuffling, I won, I bloody won.
And those staff credits were amongst the hardest I earned this year.

* and it turns out there's another further boss on hard mode, no screw you game, I saw CREDITS and I'm taking them!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
GWXlYHb.jpg

Game #53 - Yoshi's Crafted World
Time: 8 hours
Rating: ★★

Welp, this sure was disappointing. Pretty much everything about this was underwhelming to me, from the art style which is nowhere near as fetching as the yarn look from the previous game, the basic gameplay, the super uneven levels (some are great but some are super bland), just everything about it was a huge disappointment to me, to the point where I didn't care AT ALL about exploring the levels or collecting stuff like I usually do with Nintendo games. It also looks strangely blurry in portable mode, which was annoying. Shame.

Main Post

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
51. (replay) Starfox 64 (28/7/22) ★★★★★

When I think about the game which I've beaten the most, I have to think that Lylat Wars, aka Starfox 64, aka Starfox 64 3D, is potentially the frontrunner.
With its split path campaign that had to be beaten in one sitting, mixed with a score attack aspect, it lent itself to a lot of quick playthroughs.
It's been a long time since I last played the N64 version, mainly the 3DS version is my current go to, so I was looking forward to going back to ye olde visuals and slightly better/cheesier voice acting.

I was genuinely waiting on getting a Switch N64 controller for this one, it still feels awkward with that shape, but it also feels right.
The more time has gone on, the game has slowly snuck up my favourite games list, its gameplay endures over most N64 titles, the series never surpassed this entry, and I practically know the entire script of quips by heart at this point.
Did two runs, one up the top route and one down the bottom, which means I still need to go back and squeeze in Katina, Solar and Macbeth to round out the missing middle stages (and Macbeth is the best stage at that).

To my shame, I didn't earn a single medal score, oh I came close but even the easiest medals snuck out of my grasp with sector Z (allies stealing two missiles), Fortuna (Andrew just died a mysterious death off screen before I could finish him off, did he like, actually get shot down by Slippy?!) and the Venom 2 reprise had Wolf fly into a column which I think lost me that tasty 50 points, what the heck indeed.
Oh well, game is still great, maybe there's a bit of nostalgia in there, but I love it all the same, so much so that I even enjoy the maligned Starfox Zero by its close gameplay association.
Dat ending, gets me every time, even in the staff roll when the great fox looms over the horizon and the music swells into a dramatic rendition of the mission accomplished theme, TEARS.

52. Portal 2 (28/7/22) *stars pending*

Somehow Portal 2 has always just passed me by, the original game I thought was clever and all, yet I never felt all that strongly towards it. The idea of more portal stretched out to a longer game never had me that excited, even when the reviews dropped and the tens rained from the heavens.
In part also because Valve, I don't dislike Valve's games, I respect them, but I just don't really enjoy them? when I eventually crawled to the end of Half Life 2, I had no desire to check out the episodes. Left 4 Dead was like a fun novelty for me when playing as the monsters, but the rest didn't grab me either, something about the way their games play on console always felt "off" to me, vague I know but it's just how it always felt.

So Portal 2, I came very close to getting in back in the PS3 days, and I was gonna do the co-op with a friend, only for him to swerve me/betray me by playing the mode with his girlfirend at the time.
Another friend, with the same feelings towards the original/valve/half life as me, picked up 2 on the cheap, not really his kinda game, we actually played like two stages of co-op and then were like "fuck it, back to street fighter 4", so yep, that moved portal 2 to the eternal backlog, I'll play it one day I kept saying.
With another friend late last year giving me the "wait, you've NEVER played Portal 2", I figured it was high time to finally check it out, and before I could get a discount on the xbox backwards compatible version, the switch port was announced and now here we are (and I never picked it up for pennies on steam because this laptop just ain't conductive towards a good time, it's the last resort option for PC only titles).

So big preamble there, now that I'm done with the single player campaign I can say the following
- So this is why this entry is sometimes described as a platformer!
- So that's what all those baked potato arts I kept seeing were about!
- Ah, this the fabled goo I've heard so much of!

If there was an aspect of portal 1 that was completely understandable, yet I never liked all that much, it was the setting, an intentionally sterile set of test chambers, perfectly logical but not much from an aesthetics standpoint. So 2 returning to that well wasn't really having me jump for joy, I actually didn't expect the game to be as intertwined with the original narrative as it was. Despite that I think they do the best they can with the setting, the leap to a fuller game leads to a lot more going on, it's all more dynamic, a bit more colourful and the mid game locale shift really caught me by surprise.
And for me that midgame is where I found portal 2 to be at its strongest, I was a fan of the goo mechanics, how they worked with the portals, the platformer esque antics, the crazy momentum and of course JK Simmons delivering some killer lines via Cave Johnson.

In general the humour was on point throughout, I never busted a gut, but I sure did smile a lot. If there's something about Valve's approach to cinematics that never takes you out of gameplay, it's that it can grow weary if you're not really digging what's going on and you can't speed that shit up (thinly veiled critique of everyone talking at/fawning over your mute arse Freeman over here). Never had that issue here in portal 2, segments focused on a lot of talky times tend to add some dynamic set piece elements that keep things rolling. In general the timing and scripting of these moments is pretty clean, heck the game in general is pretty clean, for something that feels like it could become overly fiddly or messy with portals, momentum platforming and such, it's polished to the nth degree to keep the game non frustrating.
A lot of small cues in the environment to nudge the player in the right direction without being too obvious, puzzles never get overwhelming, existing on the right level of AHA moments and doesn't delve into repetitive scenarios (something I feared seeing that Portal 1 delved pretty deep into the ideas for a three hour long game).

I'm gonna leave this unscored because I haven't got around to the co-op campaign yet and that may take a while, at the moment it's a high 4 stars where really it's only the setting that holds it back for me, the co-op stuff has the potential I think to tip this into FIVE STARZ and that'd be nice, to finally like a valve game like most do.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Full List
Completions: 26/52

capsule_616x353.jpg

24. PowerWash Simulator (PC) | 21 Jul - 20 hrs | 9/10
An almost perfect game in the sense that it does exactly what it sets out to do. A relaxing, satisfying experience that is perfect for messing around with friends in a discord chat, or throwing on a podcast to. Started it on xCloud, but switched over to PC because it plays a lot better with K&M. Also, the key to highlight dirt is essential in certain spots, where it becomes impossible to notice otherwise. The only reason it doesn't get a 10/10 from me is because (at least the GamePass PC version) had some weird performance issues from time to time where for some reason the game would lock to 40 fps which would feel very stuttery.

capsule_616x353.jpg

25. As Dusk Falls (Xbox Cloud Gaming) | 27 Jul - 6 hrs | 8/10
Went in with pretty low expectations for this one - I like many didn't think the game presented very well, and was a bit put off by the art style. Imagine my surprise then when the game turned out to be really great, and the artstyle grew on me a lot. Two big benefits of it over the more glamorous full mo-cap, is that there is very little gameplay between dialog choices, just a few QTEs, and there is none of the uncanny valley or weird looking eyes/mouth in full mo-cap like the quarry. While less traditional gameplay may seem like a bad thing, the gameplay in these types of games is usually frankly just bad. It's usually an awkward third person walking camera till you find the interactable objects/characters, so cutting that out and increasing the pace of the story was a big benefit for the game imo. It knows it's a game about the story and cuts out most everything else. The artstyle, while static, also really does convey emotion better than most full 3D games, a recent example being the Quarry. The story as a whole was also extremely engrossing, especially the first half, and having done a bit of exploring of the alternate paths, it's pretty wild at how much the story can diverge. The only major criticism I have is the ending, which unfortunately has a bit of a cliffhanger.

capsule_616x353.jpg

26. A Memoir Blue (Xbox Cloud Gaming) | 28 Jul - 2 hrs | 5/10
Being completely honest, part of the reason I played Memoir Blue was because it was under 2 hours to 100% the game. It ended up being OK, and I did like some of the visuals, but overall it was kind of dull. The puzzles/interactions were very simple, and there was significantly less actual gameplay than a typical walking sim, and the game was even shorter than those. The visual story it tells isn't very original either. I'd recommend it if you're on this challenge and want an easy blitz through in one sitting (you can probably beat it on the cloud on a lunch break even), but wouldn't really outside of that.

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
37 | Memories with my Kitten
hUJ781C.jpg

PC | July 12 | 2.5 h | 5/5

Jigsaw puzzle game with digital artwork featuring a black kitten. Last summer sale on steam, I wanted a simple puzzle game to shut my brain off. This was already inexpensive, plus the discount.

It completely filled the jigsaw void. There was a normal and easy mode for each puzzle. It was simplistic but that's what I wanted. Something to mindlessly complete. I only wish there were more puzzles to continue playing because it was relaxing. It had background music and an easy access mute button. Super easy to mute and play your music in the background. It was perfect.

38 | Pokémon Shining Pearl
s8zYGAA.jpg

PC | July 19 | 35 h | 3/5

My review can simply be, "It's an average game." Nothing outstanding. Only made me compare it to Pokemon Let's Go and Arceus; both did things MUCH better. I don't believe I have ever played the original Pearl/Diamond. This might have been one I missed over the years so I wanted to play.

It's very....Pokemon. I'm not sure how else to describe it. Linear path, same written story, most of the characters are basically copy/paste of previous characters. I went through stages of bored and kinda enjoying myself. Once I completed the Shinnoh Dex, I stopped. Nothing was holding me strong enough to continue playing.

I didn't mind the chibi style, but many of the adults looked off. Like wooden toy people with drawn-on faces that a toddler would play with. (I wonder if that's just me, lol.) The world design was at the start of a style but not yet finished, unpolished. There's nothing to add about the follow system that someone else hasn't pointed out. It's absolutely awful. I keep every Pokemon game I get nowdays, because I missed the old ones I have lost. But I can't see myself replaying this in the future.

39 | Ghost of Tsushima
jkZVpKj.jpg

PS5 | July 23 | 48 h | 5/5

Wonderful experience! This is not a samurai game, but a photography game to snap pictures of the world and animals. I don't usually mess with in-game editors and keep screenshots of large games like this, but I easily racked up a ton of pictures here.

The world design is gorgeous. The team did an outstanding job bringing it to life. I took photos of birds, deer, and of course, foxes. The facial movements were well done. Pathing was great. I think I only saw one NCP in the entire game walking around in a circle, hah. Anytime I was stuck, the game was nice enough to get me out and place me next to the spot; instead of having to reload to save myself.

The story was entertaining and I enjoyed the characters. I appreciate the dark and realistic sufferings in the stories. I thoroughly enjoyed that most of the game, I could just run in and do my destruction that way. Very minimal sneaking around. Absolutely fun, running dudes over with a horse and swinging a katana. I am SUPER grateful for the trophies. I want more games to follow suit! No second playthrough required, no difficulty locked, no missable achievements. This was a blast to platinum.

40 | Ghost of Tsushima: Iki Island
PS5 | July 27 | 9.5 h | 5/5
kyxaD3O.jpg

Fantastic addition to the main game. I played this after completing the base game storyline but you could play this before the final credits. It does add background to Jin's character and the events that haunt him in the main story.

Again, the world is a blast to explore. It's fun and rewarding. The environment is beautiful. The storyline on Iki Island was interesting to play. Very cool to explore after a certain point in the story because Jin will have more unique interactions to things around him.

To add on this and the base game, Ghost of Tsushima does a very great job with detail. When you run in mud, your clothes will be muddy. You can leave footprints. Blood splatter, of course, after a fight.

Overall, great experience.

Main Post