shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
29. Donkey Kong Land - Another game I revisited after a couple of decades, and like other older GB games, I found it way easier this time round compared to before. Probably helps the handheld I was using had a much clearer screen though...
DKL is basically Rare taking DKC, and then creating a unique handheld game based on the concept. Rather than trying to remake the game 1:1 on the weaker hardware, we instead get a game which takes the concepts from it, but with more handheld friendly levels. Its a smart move that pays off, levels are well designed, all the mechanics work very well, and the soundtrack remains surprisingly faithful to the Snes version. Its not the easiest platformer around - there's a fair few pixel perfect jumps in later levels, not to mention a few tricky obstacles/enemies to avoid, but it definitely feels well designed and fair in its approach, with the only real mistakes I were making were my own, the one exception being how you could die from "pits" which were actually not pits, since there was ground below them, off screen... limitation of the hardware perhaps?
The game could do with more stages though... feels like there was a maximum of 40 stages, which really isnt that many all things considered, it only took me around 2 and a bit hours to finish the game, and I only have 10ish% left for the maximum completion (which Im working on right now).
All in all, its a great portable game that captures the spirit of the console game really well. I look forward to going through Land 2&3 when I get the chance. I'll probably do Country 1-3 as well since those are all on the Switch service.

Next up:
Dead Space Remake (Chapter 5)
Vampire Hunter (10/14 character endings seen)
Monster Hunter Rise
RGG Ishin Kiwami!
Mass Effect 2

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

A thread for people that are trying to play 52 games in a year. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - claim a post and update us on your progress! How do I take part? Claim a 'main post' where you will list all your completions for the year. You can use fancy images...

Sillen2000

Oct 1, 2019
Main Post

January update: 5/52

New year, new me, or something. Okay, so last year almost half the games I beat were ones I'd beaten before, so this year I'm going to at least try and find a few more new experiences and finally play some games I've owned for a long time and been wanting to play, but somehow just haven't gotten around to. Shadows of the Empire doesn't really belong in that category, but I guess you have to start the year somewhere.

cIDOnvc.gif

1. January 5th | Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire | PC | 5h | ☆☆½(/5)
Starting off the year right – with a very mediocre Star Wars game. Okay, that's maybe a bit unfair and just looking at what third person shooters were like when this game released back in 1996, this really isn't all that bad. Sure, the PC version's 60 FPS mess up a few things and make them either much harder or easier than they're supposed to since the game was made with a healthy, low N64 framerate in mind, but it's usually not a big deal and most of the time I was actually enjoying myself quite a bit while running around as Han Solo knockoff Dash Rendarr and blasting stormtroopers thanks to some pretty good level design which was usually linear enough as to never risk me getting lost, but also hosting a lot of secrets to be discovered along the way and off the beaten path. They're not the best levels ever or anything, but they get the job done and no level ever felt like it dragged and the difficulty felt pretty reasonable throughout (at least when playing on Normal), outside of Boba Fett's stage where Dash would just slip off the path and fall to his death seemingly at random, and then the Slave 1 fight that felt barely playtested.

The issue for me, unfortunately, comes in the form of the game's various vehicular stages. The first stage on Hoth is of course iconic (for some reason) and I guess it's fine, but the others are just awful, with the Speeder that is both too fast and slippery for its own good, and the auto-pilot sections where you can't really see what's shooting at you since so many ships attack from behind which means you'll just end up taking damage basically when the game wants you too. Even when you can see them and are able to shoot them down, the aiming feels awful enough that it's still a real hassle. Not like the spaceship sections where you're in complete control are much better either, especially not the final stage where you have to destroy turrets that constantly regenerate and I basically had to sacrifice an extra life for each one since a sort of kamikaze approach was the only way for me to deal enough damage to destroy them.

So not really a game that has to be played before you die or anything. The third person sections are fine, sometimes even pretty good, but not ever remarkable enough to really stand out, and the vehicles all control terribly. Honestly, what sort of makes playing this game interesting today is if you're taking part in the entire Shadows of the Empire multimedia project with the book, comic book and album. You almost have to at least read either the book or comic to get any sort of grasp of what's really going on with the story (and the book is actually surprisingly good, so I guess I can recommend it over the game?). It also makes the game pretty hilarious, since it's basically a what-if story where Dash Rendarr rewrote it into fanfiction about himself since his actual role in the story is fairly small in the other versions.

Soundtrack highlight:
Xizor's Palace

NrUQU32.gif

2. January 12th | Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion | PS5 | 33h | ☆☆☆½
I did play some of Crisis Core way back when, but only a short while at a friend's since I never owned the game myself. Still, seemed fun back then, though the roulette system was a bit weird.

Playing the remake today, it's fun and the roulette system is a bit weird. I do understand it, but it's still a bit weird. I do know that the whole thing plays better and has a much more fluid combat system, however, and while it doesn't reach the heights of the FF7 Remake and normal attacks sort of become useless pretty quickly and the late game is all Costly Punch (or one of the strong punch equivalents) plus magic and a jump attack, it never grew stale and had a very satisfying weight to it while looking flashy enough to make my dumb brain satisfied. I will say, though, that doing all the missions before the final boss really trivializes that final fight even if you're playing on Hard like I was.

Crisis Core Reunion also looks pretty fantastic. Sure, some animations are very clearly recycled from the PSP original and therefore don't really fit in with the great graphics, but they usually mesh well together and this combined with the fairly overhauled combat system and small QoL things do make it pretty clear that the people remaking the game really cared about sort of making the game people remembered rather than what it was, making slight improvements here and there for what is clearly a better product in the end and better updated for a 2022 audience, while still retaining the (no pun intended) core of the original game. It's just too bad a big part of that core is pretty rotten.

I don't really need to repeat what everyone else who's played Crisis Core has already said over the years, but the writing is truly abysmal. This is like if someone's bad FF7 OCs in Genesis and Angeal somehow got their own game, and the results are somehow even worse than it sounds. I don't know if it's because of PSP limitations, but this is the strangest case of tell don't show that I've experienced in a game in a long while, where Crisis Core just sort of does time skips when it feels like it without really giving much context other than a single line for some huge event and you sort of just have to accept that it happened and move on, making so much of the already bad plot points lack any sort of impact since things that have been built up to between scenes now just sort of happen or big revelations are revealed from absolutely nowhere and you just endure Angeal's insanely boring personality and Genesis obsession with LOVELESS without having any tangible reason to care about whatever stupid shit they're up to. Which I still mostly wouldn't since it's insane nonsense anyway, but maybe I at least would react to something the game threw at me with any other thoughts than "when was this established?", or "what the fuck is going on???" No wonder the game's highlight is it's 300 missions since there's basically no story to experience throughout any of them (outside of some optional flavor text that's actually surprisingly well written, if a bit dry).

Credit where credit's due, though, and Zack and Sephiroth are surprisingly well written amidst the garbage, and I'll never say no to more Cloud or Tifa in her weird Cowgirl phase (or Aerith for that matter, despite her being written noticeably worse here than any other game she appears in), but they aren't really enough to save this sinking ship. Zack's new voice actor is also pretty uneven compared to the old one, but I'll give him a pass here since he's inexperienced and I can't believe it'd be easy to deliver dialogue as terrible as this game's in a believable way.

Ending's still absolutely incredible though. Almost as good as the various fanclub e-mails.

Soundtrack highlight:
Why

ZPO2NQX.gif

3. January 15th | Return to Monkey Island | Switch | 9h | ☆☆☆
Despite being an impatient idiot who usually can't stand puzzles in video games, I strangely have a lot of fondness for the Monkey Island series and grew up mainly with the third game, Curse of Monkey Island but discovered the others in my teens and highly enjoyed those as well (Escape from Monkey Island less so). To say that I was excited when Return to Monkey Island was announced last year is an understatement, but for some reason I just didn't play it despite buying it on release. Really not sure why I'm like that sometimes.

I have played it now though, and just loved my time with most of it. The puzzles are maybe too easy for some veterans of the genre, but for me who rarely touches it, they struck a good balance between being both logical and still requiring some knowledge of the point & click genre language, so to speak, where there is a certain logic not really found anywhere else. It can be a bit fetch quest-y at times and the pacing of the adventure feels a bit off since it's a lot of starting and stopping between acts in a way that feels a bit cheap, like the game should end several times but keeps going. Not that I should be complaining when the overall quality of the puzzles and writing remains very good throughout most of the game (my only real complaint is how some characters are very suddenly dropped during the final act, and how unreasonably understanding Elaine is of Guybrush's path of destruction), but it can be a bit jarring.

I'm not going to spoil anything concrete about within the plot of course since it's a very narrative-driven game, but it is so nice to see both Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossman return to the series and seemingly not having lost anything of their sharp wit since their last MI game almost 30 years ago, but they've also matured as both people and writers which reflects in this game where, while it is very funny, they do manage to cut through the comedy to ultimately make a beautiful and surprisingly adult (not in the R-rated way, but more in the themes it tackles) story by the end. It is certainly a very nostalgic love letter to the series that calls back to previous games throughout the journey in a lot of very clever ways, but at the same time it's also a rumination on the passage of time and what really matters in life at the same time as it's a mostly breezy, fun pirate adventure. This might not be the final Monkey Island game (think Ron Gilbert has said he's open for more?), but if it was, it's certainly a worthy sendoff and one for the developers to be proud of.

Also, don't forget to read the letter after beating the game. Reading that was definitely one of the strongest little experiences I've had with a 2022 game and made my deep appreciation of the game even deeper. Really itching to replay previous Monkey Island games now.

Also also, I got used to the pretty distinct art style quickly and can't really imagine the game without it. It really does look very good when you're actually playing the game, I promise!

Soundtrack highlight:
Scurvy Island Beach

GFxov7f.gif

4. January 28th | Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise | Playstation 4 | 60h | ☆☆
Another year, another Yakuza. Of course, this is a Fist of the North Star game, but it's also another Yakuza by the same developers, with a lot of the same mini-games, similar combat, same voice actors (in Japanese) and you can even play the entire game using a Kiryu skin, which I obviously did since it is a Yakuza game.

And it's a pretty decent one as well! Certainly not the greatest, actually closer to the bottom, but I'd still rather play it than, like, 4, Kiwami 1 or Dead Souls. Its biggest sin is probably that it feels a bit low budget, with a very short story padded out with side content and mandatory substories that can feel a bit grindy and that're really just there to distract from the fact that the plot has no clear direction until about the final third of the game. That in itself is not necessarily an issue since there's still fun to be had with the more episodic structure and fantastic boss fights, but being forced to do pointless drives through the game's sort of open wasteland isn't the most fun, or having basically every mini-game in the game be introduced in a mandatory story segment. The story and characters are probably the main draw of the series to me, but also the fact that you can really engage with it as much as you want and just ignore the rest, but there's really no escape from most things here and it just makes the game so much less interesting. Sure, there're are always some mandatory mini-games and the like in each game, but not to this degree, and they're honestly usually of higher quality. Bartending is fun, sure, but buggy racing and the revamped hostess manager, for example, are just incredible downgrades from 0's hostess mini-game and 5's taxi missions, and the game's own take of karaoke just isn't good enough.

That lack of variety is also seen in the side content which is limited to a few activities, but which are all extremely grindy. Like, I've gotten the platinum and 100% in each Yakuza game released before this one, and I honestly don't think I would ever want to 100% the completion list here because it'd just be doing the same few things a million times over. Like, hostess maker sucked in 3 and 4, and nothing is as bad as that in this game, but basically everything requires spending as much time as that did outside of, like, getting good scores in the arcade games. Substories, outside of the one requiring you to get 100 million in whatever the game's currency's called, are still pretty fun and while they certainly do feel more in the spirit of Yakuza than Fist of the North star, it didn't matter much since I was playing as Kiryu rather than Kenshiro.

What really saves Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise is that the combat is simply very good. It might seem like it'd become pretty boring always having to finish off an enemy with a short cut scene + quick time event, but you pretty quickly gain enough tools as to not have to do that, and even still, I don't think any of the hidden techniques (the game's heat actions, but with the twist that using them doesn't require filling up any meter) ever got old since there's so many of them and for so many different situations, making fights against large mobs really fun when you can really just go wild with what you know. As mentioned, boss fights are also for the most part among the best in the entire series. Wouldn't say they're the most challenging, but there is a lot of love and care put into the presentation and gameplay of them to match their original IP while in a Yakuza context. Especially the fight against Souther (translated here as Thouzer???) is probably the highlight of the entire game, but they're all really good. There're also amulets which give you either special attacks or different buffs and they can be pretty useful, but whatever you do, do not try to get them all to level 7.

All in all a decent game, but nothing special for the most part. Soundtrack goes unreasonably hard at points, though, so props for that.

Soundtrack highlight:

Souther, the Holy Emperor

BJiQy6J.gif

5. January 30th | Hokuto no Ken | Playstation 4 | 3h | ☆☆
This is included as an unlockable in Lost Paradise and while I really didn't plan to finish it, some dumb, stubborn part of me just decided to get through it after trying it out once. And when I say dumb, I really do mean dumb because I truly do not enjoy 2D beat em ups, and even less so this very early form of the genre in the Kung-Fu style where enemies just rush in from both sides constantly. I will say, though, that Hokuto no Ken (localised as Black Belt on the Master System, which is a much worse version that both looks worse and has completely flat stages making some mini-bosses much harder than they should be), does look extremely good for a 1986 console game, and the boss fights are sort of puzzles in themselves that require learning how to damage each boss rather than just wailing on them and hoping for the best, and while it requires some trial and error it's usually not too hard outside of the Souther fight (and the Toki fight to a lesser extent) where I'm not sure how anyone would know how to beat him without a guide.

Where the game completely falls apart for me is in the regular stages. It's just so mindless, timing kicks and sometimes punches when you're feeling like missing an enemy and taking damage since hitboxes are so wonky in this game, and hoping that two enemy sprites don't overlap when kicking since Ken can only hit one sprite at a time and the second enemy will always get a hit in. It never feels good, it's never an ounce of fun, and even when a slightly more mechanically interesting mini-boss appears to break up the monotony, it's still not a good time and especially not on later stages when you can face two mini-bosses at once with projectile attacks and the bizarre hit boxes (programmed by notorious criminal Yuji Naka) just not working in your favor at the most random times. These stages aren't particularly difficult, but they are annoying and, most of all, really boring when just trying to get back to the boss you've finally figured out how to fight, but since there are no continues in the game, every game over means starting back at stage 1 and playing these boring stages, of which there are five in the game (Technically two, but the game is pretty good at reskinning those two), over and over again gets old fast.

Hokuto no Ken is a playable game with impressive bosses and graphics for it's time, and I did eventually finish it and even beat the secret post-game boss rush so I obviously didn't hate it, but it still just isn't a good time and I shouldn't have spent this much time with it as I did (even if it really wasn't that much when spread over several days). This is certainly not one I'll ever revisit in the future.

Soundtrack highlight:
Boss Theme

Currently playing:
Fire Emblem Engage (Switch)
Pentiment (PC)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PS3)

Last edited:

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
<< Previous Post | Main Post | Next Post >>

M77pgrq.png

5. SMILE FOR ME

One of two games with a colorful wacky cast played back to back, but I enjoyed this one more. You're in some sort of rehabilitation center for "sad" people called the Habitat, run by the ever cheerful Dr. Habit. The doctor is determined to make all his patients happy, whether it's by daily video reminders of mindfulness, cheery posters on the wall, an intrusive video surveillance system, or a sinister, strictly-enforced curfew...

You're a patient, yourself, but you have a knack for making other people happy. And so your mission is to cure the other folks of the Habitat, and maybe figure out what the heck is going on with this place on the side. It's silly and gets into your heart thanks to the endearing character illustrations. Interestingly, you can only respond to characters in the world by physically nodding or shaking your head with the mouse/control stick.

Env12.png

frR4gLM.png

6. KRAKEN ACADEMY

Another pretty goofy game where the main draw is interacting with the quirky characters. This time, you're a student in a new, run-down school, given a mission by the mysterious kraken that lives in the lake behind campus. Your mission: save the school from certain doom! But you can't do it all in one go, so you're given a time amulet that sets you back to the beginning of the week if you mess up...

Conceptually it's a little all over the place, but that seems to be by design, wackiness for the sake of wackiness. You have a student who is a broccoli most of the time, except during a full moon. You have a student who is literally a dog. You have a teacher who is probably a vampire? And the school is divided into four clubs with very real spirit guardians. This felt like a game that was created for a game jam, then expanded upon later.

Kraken-Academy-Screenshot-QTE-with-a-fake-music-teacher.jpg

Last edited:

pete_clarf

Oct 25, 2017
Really not getting through stuff very fast so far. Ha!

2) Dead Space (XBox Series X) - 2/8/2023 - 9.0/10
I loved playing through this again. I finished the original around the time it came out and was surprised that there were a couple of things that I remembered. I started out playing the game with a walkthrough so that I wouldn't miss any collectibles/schematics/etc. but abandoned that about halfway through Chapter 3. Great decision. I ended up finding most everything anyway and what I didn't find I'll get on a New Game + run. The story fell apart a little bit at the end and I didn't like most of the no-gravity parts, but loved everything about it other than those.

Main Post

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sort of lost track of this thread and how I was doing things this year. But I'm back now with a few more completed games.

10: Persona 3 Portable. End: 2/1/2023

When I first played this game, it was my first time with P3, and with the complete overhaul of the Persona series. Since I have since played P4 and P5, I recognize the shortcomings in this version of P3, the shortcomings in the presentation of this game. There were also clearly growing pains that came with the overhaul of the series. I'm curious if that rumored remake is coming any time soon as I think this game could use it.

11: Persona 4 Golden. End: 2/7/2023

I quickly made my way through this game (I got addicted even though I had already played it, lol). A big improvement over the last game (especiallyin the presentation department). There are definitely issues with the game's narrative (looking at you, Yosuke. And how the game treats Kanji is bad).

12: Kuru Kuru Kururin. End: 2/10/2023

I had never played this game before it came to Switch Online. It was quite a treat to experience this rather unique puzzle game. It isn't what I would call great, but it was certainly interesting.

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
1. Signalis | Action Adventure | PC | ★★★☆☆ | 1-2
Great art, unique story, though I did not fully grasp. Puzzles are generally interesting. I understand limited inventory is horror game staple, but the backtrack with key juggling really sucks the momentum out of the game. I don't think tying the ending to play style is good design either. It's only reasonable that I avoided combat when ammo is limited, enemies can revive, and most importanly, it's not fun. Why was I locked out of an ending becuase of it? The game also takes a bit too much liberty with homages from gameplay to art to cutscene, even for an indie title.

2. Stella of The End | Visual Novel | PC | ★★★☆☆ | 1-7
When I first heard that Tanaka Romeo is working on a new visual novel with Key, I was overjoyed. Family Project and Cross Channel are among my favorite VNs. His humane angle and smooth writing always find a way to move me. Stella of The End is no difference. However, as I wrote in the GotY thread, the story is too familiar. It borrows Planetarian's setting of survivalist man meeting robot girl in a futurist post apoclypse world and The Last of Us's road trip to salvation of human race. I can understand why Tanaka Romeo in the late stage of his career chose to write a simpler storyline rather to go all out like I/O and Saihato no Ima, especially for a short piece, but this does feel like a missed opportunity.

3. Pentiment | Adventure | PC | ★★★★☆ | 1-28
I went in this game without knowing the meaning of the word pentiment. I came out with a deep appreciation of the title. It's a clever nod to the painter protagonists, and an analogy to our history. As a fan of the subject, this passion porject feels like it is tailored for me. Ingeniously conceived and beautifully laid out, the story condenses centuries of western history into a murder mystery in a secluded rural town in the Alps, all but to call on us to embrace our history, even the parts that we usually avert our eyes. The art is grogeous and depicts some of the most lovable kids in videogame ever. It is an unbelievably slow burn though. You need to push through the first two hours to get to the murder itself. I'd also prefer a fast travel option or a VN interface like Persona 3 Portable to save some time on the running around.

4. Pony Island | Adventure | PC | ★★★☆☆ | 1-30
Metagames are a dime a dozen these days, but I think I should give Pony Island some credits for being ahead of the curve. The actual puzzles are quite easy, yet the parody platforming sections are not as easy as they seem. I think some religious references are lost on me due to my non-Christian background.

5. Blackwood Crossing | Adventure | PC | ★★☆☆☆ | 2-1
Loss of loved ones is the theme of half of these walking simulator adventure games, though I suppose siblings are rarer than some other relatives. The story is about dealing with loss and guilt, and moving forward, as you'd expect from this type of games. It was unfortunately released in the same month as What Remains of Edith Finch, the anthology of deceased love ones, so it failed to stand out through story or writings. It does win the prize of the slowest moving speed in a first-person game ever. Combined with head bobbing that cannot be turned off, this game can easily knock you onto your bed if you underestimate it.

6. Adios | Adventure | PC | ★★★☆☆ | 2-3
A gem of story telling. The game hooks you in at the start with the question "why is he quiting". You go down the memory lane with the protagonist until right before the end everything comes together. The protagonist's voice reminds me of old De Niro in The Irishman, especially the stutter, which leads me to drawing more parallel between the two: lonely old man, shunned by his own child, no purpose or joy in life. The PC port sadly is bit shoddy. I got stuck a few times, had to redo certain sections, and there's one part of the game where I simply had no idea how to complete using mouse and keyboard so I had to resort to my controller.

7. The Red Strings Club | Adventure | PC | ★★★☆☆ | 2-7
The fact that all choices have consequences is the most interesting part of the game, but also brings down the narrative a bit. Too many contrived coincidences, from the way high executives made conveniently available to the protagonists to how a mega tech corp is taken down by by telephone pranks, make it hard to engage with the story seriously. Not a knock against the game, but sometimes I do wonder if there's any tale left to tell about AI and self-consciousness.

8. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 | RPG | Switch | ★★★☆☆ | 2-11
All XB2 needed to reach true greatness is stripping off some bad designs such as the gecha system and questionable character designs. XB3 could be that game by taking a not so big step forward in a few areas from XB2, and that's exactly what it did. Character designs are some of the best in JRPGs, boosted by colorful personalities and excellent voice acting. All the redundant systems are scaled back or expunged. Even the writing gets some brushing up, especially in side quests. Yet, XB3 feels like a regression overall. The real time combat system tries to accomodate six playable characters and one helping NPC at the same time, which trivializes player input: after all, five sixth of the combat activities are under AI control. Map design, the pride of the series, gives way to vast flat landscape. The writing, while more than serviceable for a typical JRPG story, cannot carry the weight of the lofty theme that the game is trying to convey, and crumbles into belabored preaching. XB3 is self-indulgent to the point that when it runs out of meaningful things to say, instead of ending, it repeats everything it has said again.

9. Little Misfortune | AVG | PC | ★★★☆☆ | 2-12
Little Misfortune looks like a kid game from its beautiful storybook-like hand drawn art, but it couldn't be further from it.The titular little lady Misfortune senses the depression permeated in the society, and misinterpretes it throughthe innocent positive thinking of a child. The juxtaposition of tregic scenes and poop jokes creates a kind of dark humor that is not uncommon in European cartoon. But there's another story in this game, a story that involves monster from other dimension and magic. I don't quite get it.

10. VVVVVV | ACT | PC | ★★★★☆ | 2-16
A very creative platformer with a bit puzzle solving in it. Aside from one optional level, the difficulty curve is reasonable. Exploration is surprisingly fun as well since the map is connected on the edge like an old JRPG map. The upbeat music helps alleviate the frustration of dying constantly. The control is a bit slippery, which calls back to the genre's root of Mario, but I think I can do without it in 21th century.

11. The Unfinished Swan | AVG | PS4 | ★★☆☆☆ | 2-19
An adventure game with light puzzle solving, disjointed storytelling and ambiguous theme. I kept waiting for the moment when the story starts to make sense. It came at the very end while raising another question: what's the point. Oh, it could cause motion sickness as well.

12. Little Nightmares | AVG | PC | ★★★☆☆ | 2-21
Comparison with Playdead games is inevitable. This game aims to immerse player in a terrifying world, one similar to ours but distorted slightly. To that end the game mostly succeeds. The last section lets imagination runs wilder, almost becoming a videogame version of Spirited Away. Gameplay wise, 3d movement adds little to puzzle solving; instead, combined with wonky control and misleading camera angles, it creates frustrating moments such as "falling down from beam while going straight" and "bumping into jamb while running towards door".

13. Liyla and the Shadow of War | AVG | PC | NA | 2-22
This barely qualifies as a game. It's more of a political statement, and a powerful one at that, bringing forth facts that have not been given enough attention from global community. Personally I don't think this game, or the bundle came with it, or all the outcry on media can change anything. It takes a globally jointed sanction that can cripple a country, like the one North Korea is facing, to stop Israeli territory advance, and that will never happen.

14. One Night Stand | AVG | PC | ★★☆☆☆ | 2-23
Videogame is all about experiencing things you wouldn't in real life, and that is why I played this game. You see, I can never allow myself to get that drunk. While the process of getting hold of the situation after waking up next to a naked woman you don't remember feels engaging and realistic enough at first, the hunt for all endings soon becomes repetitive. A bit more diversity for the different routes would be preferred. There is a little twist revealed after collecting all the endings that redeems the experience somewhat.

Original post

Last edited:

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
2. Yakuza 4 Remastered
I finished it a couple of weeks ago and I really really enjoyed it. The new casts are surprisingly fun and likable, especially Akiyama with his laid-back way of living. Every character also surprisingly has a distinct combat style, and I really dig Tanimura's parrying mechanic. The story is an improvement over the one in Yakuza 3 (albeit plot-wise simpler than the one in Zero), and many of the side quests start embracing the series' signature silliness. All in all the game is enjoyable and I don't mind replaying it in the future.

Now while waiting for Yakuza 5 to be put on sale, I'm thinking to replay Shadow of War since I want just to play some game with mindless combat while listening to podcast.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
30. Super Turrican (Snes) - Honestly... not my favourite Turrican game. Its short (real short), linear levels and some absolute annoyances of levels at that... The new ice levels (not taken from Turrican 1-3, like most of the rest of the game) are just plain bad, and having a train level late in the game steal away what few lives the ice didnt take!
Its still a good game, as its basically just a sorta-greatest hits of Turrican (well, maybe closer to B-Sides than greatest hits), the platforming, action and music are still top notch in almost every level. And hey, it has an easy final boss to make up for some earlier toughness! Its worth playing, but not over Turrican 1-3.

Next up:
Dead Space Remake (Chapter 5)
Vampire Hunter (10/14 character endings seen)
Monster Hunter Rise
RGG Ishin Kiwami!
Mass Effect 2
No More Heroes (Rank 7)

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

A thread for people that are trying to play 52 games in a year. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - claim a post and update us on your progress! How do I take part? Claim a 'main post' where you will list all your completions for the year. You can use fancy images...

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
w500z9dw5.jpg

7. Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
Good - ★★★☆ (3/4)

Beat this one once in arcade mode - which I might have done last years too, not totally sure - and then cleared story mode.

The game seems to be targeting an experience similar to Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and the like, but with simplified controls more akin to Smash Bros. And, to its credit, it absolutely achieves that goal. Even with most of the characters being Power Rangers they managed to make them look and play very distinctly, leveraging alternate costumes to further that effect. The mechanics aren't particularly unique but there's just a lot of good in there. The movesets are good, the animations are good, the pacing is good.

I do find myself wondering if the idea is good, though. Maybe I'm assuming too much, but my first thought with the special moves being simplified to one button is that it's meant to be an easier entrance into fighting games. But can I really call this an easy entrance into fighting games when it's based on Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and its utter hatred of the neutral game? The very first opponent on story mode can take off almost your full health bar with one combo, and by the end of the story mode I still can't pull off anything close because I'm pretty sure I'd have to specifically practice individual combos to get there. I'm hardly new to fighting games, either, it's just that I haven't practiced these particular characters. Imagine what a rude introduction this would be to players who don't even know the fundamentals yet.

Arcade mode seems to be easier than story mode, and it's pretty much what you'd expect it to be. There's no unplayable bosses, it's just a series of rounds ending with a battle against Drakkhon. Story mode is probably objectively bad. I don't mean so much the simplicity of the mode just being a series of pre-arranged fights or its superhero movie-esque plot, those are pretty much all I expected from a Power Rangers game. But it's got so many presentation issues that it looks glaringly amateurish in what is otherwise a very professional feeling game.

To elaborate on what I mean. While the unique story mode art is fine and the dialogue is clearly going for a cool, quippy direction, it's written with the punctuation of a preteen who doesn't like real books. There are a few moments where the voiceovers don't match the subtitles. The game likes to give you one battle where you play as the heroes followed by a rematch where you play as the villains, which is nice since it lets you play as a wider variety of characters during the story mode. It also varies between whether or not Zords are enabled. But there's no screen to tell you these terms, so it can be incredibly disorienting. There are at least two points where there isn't even dialogue to separate them; as soon as you're finished one fight, you're immediately dropped in another fight where you're now playing as the character you were just fighting and fighting the character you were just controlling. Naturally, there were more than a few moments where I got confused about who I was playing as. The story mode will also sometimes end a fight before it's over for some reason, or it will have dialogue appear during the fight. The former is just another jarring moment, but the latter is especially bad because it doesn't even pause; it just stops your character's actions, so they can even be hit by a projectile because there's a dialogue box and you can't move. It's just embarrassing how many bad decisions there are which are local to this mode.

w5001zd52.jpg

8. Psyvariar Delta
Good - ★★★☆ (3/4)

Beat this one three times with different settings.

Psyvariar Delta is apparently a remake of a fairly early bullet hell shooter, originally released a little bit before Touhou came to Windows and blew up in popularity. It feels a teeny tiny bit more approachable than most of the genre that I've played, albeit perhaps it's a little short and basic. The main gimmick is that you gain experience points when you get close to bullets, which causes you to level up and become more powerful.

I had fun with this one, but it's hard to call it outstanding when there's so little to it that feels unique or unusually strong, even just looking at what's available on the Switch. It has branching levels and multiple revisions, and it has two selectable ships plus one DLC ship, but then you compare those to what the Darius games available on the console are offering and it just pales in comparison. It's still a good game, but I'm just not sure that I could recommend it over anything else.

The thing that might excite me the most is the presentation. I don't feel that strongly about the original music, but the Delta specific music (which apparently includes tracks made for a mobile version?) is a great fit. I'm not up on my electronic music genres, but I want to say it varies between dubstep or trance? The opening immediately grabs you with the opening visual, which matches the building music with an increasingly rapid bombardment of neon light images.

By the way, the DLC vehicle you can buy is Blanche from Cybattler, who I don't think is particularly related to Psyvariar or is well known enough to sell copies. But I did love Cybattler when I played it, and this character does play like Blanche with a smart bomb, so I appreciate that it's here.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
31. Shock Troopers 2nd Squad (PS4) - Always wanted to play the Shocktroopers games, never wanted to pay Neo Geo prices. Thanks Arcade Archives!
Gave the game a few runs, thanks to a not so bad trophy requirement, I got more used to how the combo system works, which helped tons in my run (basically - melee = more points + more power ups). Of the two routes you can take, I find the route through the mountains easier than the naval base. Not sure why, but I just have a way tougher time through the base.

Its an excellent game all round. Jumping to evade works super well, makes the game pretty fair as far as action/shoot em ups go, bosses are fairly easy to learn, and there's tons of stuff to blow up. As always, the Neo Geo hardware impresses with what its pushing out, even if there's tons of slowdown here.

Next up:
Dead Space Remake (Chapter 8)
Vampire Hunter (12/14 character endings seen)
Monster Hunter Rise
RGG Ishin Kiwami!
Mass Effect 2
No More Heroes (Rank 5)

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Is it too late to jump in on this? I've been Homebound and finished a ton of shit already this year lol

arvan59

Aug 2, 2021
Always wanted to try this. I usually end up around 20+ games on any given year, but what the hell.

So far I've completed:

1. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Xbox One) 1/1/23 - 5/10

Really liked this when it came out back in 2015, but on this replay it felt incredibly flat. There's a lot to like, but it felt mostly tedious in its gameplay loop. Oh well.

2. JumpJet Rex (PS5) 1/16/23 - 6/10

3. Pentiment (PC) 1/19/23 - 9/10

4. Beacon Pines (Xbox One) 1/22/23 - 8/10

5. Dishonored: Definitive Edition (PC) 1/31/23 - 8/10

It's taken many, many, tries over the years but an Arkane game has finally clicked with me! Played through on both low/high chaos and went through Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches (the latter of which is quite fun!). Now, maybe a playthrough of Prey will go differently this time...

6. Dusk (PC) 2/18/23 - 8/10

7. Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs (PC) 2/20/23 - 5/10

8. Shadow The Hedgehog (PS2) 2/24/23 - 6/10

9. Back 4 Blood (PC) 2/26/23 - 7/10

10. James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire (PS2) 3/03 - 5/10

11. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) (Xbox One BC) 3/03- 7/10

Decided to replay this on veteran difficulty on a whim, still a fun campaign

12. Strider 2 (PS1) 3/06 - 8/10

13. Shadow Warrior 3 (PC) 3/10 - 6/10

The dialogue and characters are pretty insufferable, but I do love Doom Eternal

14. PowerWash Simulator Midgar Special Pack (PC) 4/06

15. Resident Evil 4 (2023) (PC) 4/12 - 9/10

16. Save Room (PC) 4/15 - 7/10

17. Vampire Survivors: TIdes of the Foscari (PC) 4/21

18. Yakuza 2 (PS2) 4/30 - 8/10

This and Kiwami 2 are some of my favorites of the series, just love the story and the introduction to Sotenbori

19. Crash Bandicoot (PS1) 5/19 - 7/10

20. Cassette Beasts (PC) 5/22 - 9/10

The first pokemon (on a surface level) to really click with me past age of 16

21. Streets of Rage 4 (Xbox One) 5/27 - 7/10

22. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy) 5/28 - 6/10

23. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (Game Boy) 5/28 - 5/10

24. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES) 5/29 - 5/10

25. Gunsuit Guardians (PC) 6/09 - 6/10

Finished about as much as I can in early access

26. Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath - Vengeance of the Slayer (PC) 6/16 - 5/10

27. Lunacid (PC) 7/02 - 7/10

Solid, went back to the original, Japanese King's Field after this and had more fun with that despite it being more of a basic Dungeon Crawler

28. AEW: Fight Forever (PS5) 7/07 - 6/10

Fun mechanics, not enough juice

29. King's Field (PS1) 7/14 - 8/10

30. My Friendly Neighborhood (PC) 8/03 - 8/10

Really charmed by this well designed piece of survival horror and how thoughtful its story is

31. Storyteller (Switch) 8/07 - 6/10

L
ots of charm, but too short and the final puzzles felt too vague

32. Elden Ring (PS5) 8/22 - 10/10

33. Elden Ring Demake (Game Boy) 8/22 - 5/10

34. Overcooked! (PS5) 8/28 - 5/10

Love co-op, I have never loved the Overcooked games

35. Overcooked: All You Can Eat: World Festival (PS5) 8/29

36. Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways (2023) (PC) 9/26 - 7/10

37. Alan Wake (PC) 10/06 - 8/10

38. Alan Wake: The Signal (PC) 10/07

39. Alan Wake: The Writer (PC) 10/07

40. Chillquarium (PC) 10/23 - 6/10

A cute idler, got to the last tier of fish, love the axolotls

41. Celeste (PC) 10/23 - 9/10

42. Lies of P (PC) 10/27 - 8/10

43. Milk outside a bag of milk outside a bag of milk (PC) 10/29 - 6/10

44. Robocop: Rogue City (PC) 11/09 - 9/10

S
urprised by how much I loved it. It has this expansive, open level structure, the ability to upgrade Robocop's psychology and deductive reasoning, and a charming integration of the original film's satirical edge (though not quite as incisive, politically)

45. Ridge Racer Type 4 (PS1) 11/11 - 8/10

Up Next?

Like a Dragon Gaiden
Alan Wake: American Nightmare
Max Payne
Starfield
Cocoon
Jusant

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of catching up to dooooooo...
And a few games that really had me close to copping out and adding half stars to my current 5 star ranking system
Gonna spread these out a bit, starting with an N64 combo

4. Pokemon Snap ★★★ (replay)

While twiddling my thumbs, counting down to Fire Emblem Engage's midnight unlock, I threw on the original Pokemon Snap to just pass the time.
And then two hours or so later, I'd beaten the whole thing in one sitting, all the game's pokemon (not even half of the original 151 mind you) snapped into the report.
Safe to say that the length of Pokemon Snap is its biggest weakness, like X4 supereffective weakness. A rail shooter of sorts consisting of six short stages and unlockable "boss" stage where the novelty was being 10 years old and going "ohhh it's Mew!", which doesn't quite hold the same weight for my wonder sapped 30 years plus self.

On the plus side, Pokemon Snap is pretty enjoyable throughout, a virtual safari with some fun interactions, light timed puzzle solving (puzzle mainly being variants of "throw the fruit/pester balls") and breezy tunes.
Before I go ahead and just point out that new pokemon snap is basically better in every way, there's still some merit to the N64 original. Its brevity can be its strength, little time is wasted on setting the scene so it's quick to start and quicker to blaze through. It's also funny to see this as part of the freewheeling wild west era of pokemon games, where you could just throw gas bombs at Meowth repeatedly, knocking him into an unconscious stupor, where a secret exit involves just unjustly knocking Mankey off a cliff via Squirtle shell, he wasn't mad at us, he was just born looking that way!

Nowadays you have New Snap having to specifically point out that the fruit you lob is actually fluff fruit, named as such because it's so light that the pokemon are only mildly perturbed by being bonked, not back in the N64 era, you just pelt those mon with solid apples. Humorously this seems to be the main way to get the game's few evolutions to occur, just knock charmeleon into a lava filled crater for the lulz, who needs leaf stones when weepinbell will evolve because you needlessly dunked him into some water, he doesn't even come out attacking you like the 'Zard, he just looks very disappointed in you, I think, he's not exactly the most expressive of mon.
All in all, it's pretty simple stuff, and even with only 6 full stages they do try to streeeetch things out, the game drip feeding what few abilities it can dole out across them requiring a few re-runs, your first trip through the tunnel sure is like "wow, it's nothing!", though it's more interesting and organic than the way new snap gates off its more interesting reruns via a point scoring barrier.

Not much else to say, a nice nostalgia trip, a novel approach to the rail shooter, well designed yet startlingly brief.

5. Goldeneye 007
★★★(+★ bonus nostalgia fuelled star)

There's a scene in the goldeneye movie where THE DENCH (as M) basically cuts a shoot promo on Bond and refers to him as "a sexist, misogynist dinosaur, a relic of the Cold War…", a very clear nod to the reality that times had changed in the gap between Bond movies, did Bond have a place in this new world? It's a question we could pose to the game itself.
Is Rare's Goldeneye 007 "a blocky, janky dinosaur, a relic of the console wars…"? You'll get a lot of conflicting views on this one, is Goldeneye a still charming silver fox of a game? Or is it bearing more the likeness of its flat smeary Brosnan face? So many questions and truly there's no right answer.
From my standpoint though, yes with a heaping dose of nostalgia, Goldeneye can in fact, still go.
Goldeneye holds one strong enduring gadget up its tux, and that's the fact that console FPS never truly evolved up its single player mission structure path, opting to swerve off in a more linear direction with only a few titles like its spiritual successors (Perfect dark, Timesplitters 2) picking up the ball, before even they effectively dropped it.

Thus Goldeneye's single player missions still have very much their own vibe, it's a bit like how boomer shooters have both endured and even made a modern day comeback because they offer something seldom seen in the glut of console shooters that exploded out from the PS2 onwards.
Initially it might seem odd to hear that one factoid about Goldeneye design being influenced by Super Mario 64, yet I see that more clearly now than I did before. Goldeneye's fairly bitesize stages are designed to be revisited, not just with the evolving mission structure of its multiple difficulties, but also each missions unlockable target time cheat, and then of course messing with those cheats in general. GE007 straddles this odd line between an ultimately straightforward campaign, with pockets of minor exploration or just sandbox-esque messing around. Some stages are fairly linear, other surprisingly expansive, there's a good amount of variety in here, that in some ways could arguably still be seen to be a better lineup than what PD and TS2 had.

Still, when people say that Goldeneye has aged like milk, what they usually mean is "wtf are these controls?", in the time before dual analogue, there was only one stick for movement, and holding another button to root yourself to the spot for when you had to aim precisely, and the c buttons performed strafing duties. Thing is, to me the game was always designed with these limitations in mind and I don't find it all that dissimilar to picking up Resident Evil 4 in the modern day and having to take a few minutes to rewire my brain because its approach to third person shooting controls are of its time.

When you get into Goldeneye's groove of auto aim, spacing out your shots between multiple enemies as they milk their glorious area specific hit reactions, baiting foes, ducking in and out of cover, it just nails this effective one man army angle. Accentuated massively by the guns themselves, good lord the meaty feel of this gunplay, DD44 might be my favourite handgun in a game that isn't the Red 9 (from resi 4 funnily enough), the giant pencil/KF7 soviet is an audio force that wakes up all the enemies from their patrolling patterns and hiding places to the point of cheesing your way through locked doors, the Magnum blasts can pierce through doors complete with a mighty kickback, gawd, it's just all so good.
Except the Klobb, not even dual wielding can save that mess.

While the game could do a lot better explaining things with its rather brief…briefings, the focus on objectives that require some exploration, gadget use and not actually shooting everything in sight (which is tough when this game has the novelty of everything exploding like it packs a small C4 charge) rounds out the gameplay wonderfully. Occasionally a bit too cryptic and fiddly, as was the style at the time, Perfect Dark refined these elements a fair bit and did have me noticing that GE007 was sometimes just too damn vague for its own good.

There's unfortunately quite a noticeable dip in the level quality for the game's back half, it's kind of like the resident evil situation where it's not so much that the back end is actively bad or anything, more that it just doesn't hit the highs that the first half does and leans more into linear action against more durable crackshot foes. The game's undying love of incredibly quick to fire (and kill) auto turrets really clogs up a number of these later stages as you awkwardly try to find the right angle and distance to poke away at them without being shredded.

But what about the VIBE, yes this is important because this isn't just any FPS, it's a Bond FPS, and for a fairly early 3D era game they did a cracking job. The sound team spearheaded by Graeme Norgate deliver in spades, taking the classic John Barry theme and warping it in numerous tones and styles, all complimented by the N64 doing its best to put that industrial clanking audio in there as well, ala the movie's own OST. The pre mission dossier writeups that perfectly get across Q's exasperation at Bond often buggering up his gadgets and Moneypenny just being there for the bants

There's no denying that GE007 is a product of its time, and if you were around for its time, it's still a curiously enjoyable ride now in 2023, I can't imagine complete newcomers will "get" it but I want to believe they'll see something in this time capsule of a game.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so far this year

1. Lunar Silver Star Story Complete PS1 - Finally got around to finishing the PSX Lunar games and the first was good. But my god I do not miss Working Designs localizations.

2. Peggle Nights PC - It was Peggle.

3. Slay the Spire PC - Lots of fun, love the card based system. Disliked playing it 4 times to get the real end lol. I did play around with a ton of user content too.

4. SD Gundam over Galaxian PS1 - Galaxian with a Gundam skin, finished the main Galaxian campaign and also the Musha campaign featuring G and W suits.

5. Tear Ring Saga PS1 - The Fire Emblem that isn't Fire Emblem. Great, classic FE but I got frustrated at the end and the last few missions were bloodbaths where I stopped trying to save people.

6. Lunar 2 Eternal Blue PS1 - the Second Lunar was better than the first but still WD is so bad. Such liberal use of the r slur.

7. Area 51 PS1 - Kinda shitty light gun game but I got it super cheap so it was fun for a couple hours.

8. Fire Emblem Engage Switch - This was my favorite FE in a long time. Love the new art design. Love the battle system. Incredible game.

9. Soul Hackers 2 PS5 - I just really love SMT. This game mechanically and aesthetically was good but it just never got around to whatever point it was trying to make.

10. Hi Fi Rush X-Box More great, short experiences please. Love the flow of this game.

11. Dead Space PC - Phenomenal remake. The new standard. I loved this gd game.

12. Asuras Wrath PS3 - This should have been an anime lol

13. Gundam Thoroughbred PS2 - The story of the 16th autonomous corps. Great game.

14. 3D Dot Game Heroes PS3 - I miss this From Software. Fuck Souls games(double fuck anyone who unironically says "Soulsborne"), this is the From I miss. Such a fun love letter to Zelda, Dragon Quest and From itself.

15. Terminator Resistance PS4 - I've heard this one called the good terminator game and it sounded intriguing so I had to check it out. It's fine I guess. It starts out interesting with the Terminators being really threatening and dangerous. Then you get a rifle to easily kill them and it becomes a standard shooter with mild crafting and upgrades. Kinda disappointed.

16. Kirby and the Forgotten Land Switch - 3D Kirby was well worth the weight. This game was so good. The art direction, the mouthful mode, everything was so good.

17. Shadow Warrior 3 X-Box - I loved 1 and 2 and 3 was just as good. Great evolution of the boomer shooter style. I'm glad it dropped the looter elements of 2 and I hope this series continues.

18. Cotton Rock n Roll Switch - so glad to have Cotton back. I love these cute em ups. Maybe my favorite franchise in the genre. All the interesting different characters and play styles and all the Gundam references were the cherry on top.

19. Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes GCN - fuck the haters, this is my favorite version of MGS1.

20. Metroid Prime Hunters Switch- one of my favorite games of all time and they made it even better! What else can be said. This is as close to perfect as any game has gotten.

21. Private Eye Dol PC Engine Super CD-ROM^2 - really great murder mystery PC Engine CD game. 4 crimes, three murders and an idol who has to solve them. It's really well written and engaging and how the whole story starts slowly coming together is really good.

22. Paranormasight PC - great little VN, cute multilayered story. Had a ton of fun with this.

23. FX Unit Yuki PC Engine CD ROM - had this one sitting around for a long time but finally put in the time to finish it. Short but cute modern platformer

24. Ion Fury PC - ignoring the controversy, it is probably my favorite of the boomer shooter revival.

25. Metal Gear Solid 2 HD PS3 - MGS2 is much less game than I remember lol. I loved this one as a kid but as good as the story is, I was annoyed with how little game there was.

26. Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep PS5 - Man I don't like the writing in Borderlands games lol.

27. Trouble Shooters Genesis - super fun classic, got tough as hell towards the end.

28. Erica PS5 a modern FMV game basically, but it was enjoyable and thankfully short.

29. Resident Evil 4 PS5 - I'm not as bullish on the remake as a lot are. It's great, but I do feel it lost a lot of the character of the original.

30. Zeta Gundam Hot Scramble Famicom - first person Gundam shooting on the FC in 1985, fantastic.

31. Zone of the Enders X-Box 360 I still love the gameplay loop all these years later.

32. Wurm NES - this game is gorgeous for its time and switches between multiple gameplay types and is really underrated

33. Like a Dragon Ishin PS5 Gameplay wise it's a super solid LaD, but I do cringe at the way it romanticizes some really awful people.

34. Atomic Heart X-Box overrated tbh but looked nice.

35. Zelda Tears of the Kingdom Switch - absolutely incredible. The way all the systems work is amazing.

36. Metal Gear Solid 5 PS4 - Still makes me mad replaying it for what could have been lol

37. Redfall X-Box - the campaign felt so sparse and the ai was so bad it was hard to enjoy

38. Super Robot Wars 30 Switch - I've been playing it off and on since release and finally put it to bed but as long and as much as there is to do it is still phenomenal. I love the interactions and the alternate scenarios based on classic anime.

39. Ultionus PC a nice take on euro style platformers, I think if I had played more of the inspiration I would have gotten more out of it

40. Demon Front Arcade - this board cost me too much not to get my money out of it, but it's a metal slug like that looks amazing but isn't quite as tight as its inspiration

41. Ghost of Tsushima PS4 - incredible atmosphere and title in general.

42. Evil West PC - we need more games like this. A no frills all action game that doesn't pretend to be more than it is. It was so much fun just punching and shooting

43. SD Gundam G Generation Genesis Switch - another one I have been off and on with for ages, cleared all the campaigns and loved it. Love developing random ass MSVs

44. Final Fantasy 16 PS5 - I liked it more than most I think. I really enjoyed every bit of this game. The style, the systems, the story. Sublime.

45. High on Life Xbox - I hated this lol. Mechanically it was fine and even good but the writing and characters were wall to wall cringe.

46. Monster Hunter Stories 3DS - So gd cute. I loved it so much. MonHun style translates perfectly to a narrative based games

47. Omen of Sorrow PS5 low budget fighter that was interesting if nothing else. The story mode had a lot of effort put into it even if it didn't wholly work.

48. Sword and Fairy 7 XBox Gorgeous game, loved it but I think there were some cultural things I missed because little of it made sense to me.

49. Yurukill PS5 - half visual novel mystery, half shmup. This game seems to have been made for me and me alone. I love love LOVED it.

50. Street Fighter 6 - Incredible. I'm counting World Tour as having "beaten" it and Wold Tour may be the best single player mode in history for a fighter.

51. Goldeneye(Bean) 360 - tried the canned Golddneye remake and it was sure Goldeneye. Campaign as fun as ever with a weird 720p sheen.

52. Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War PS5- I'm not much of a CoD player but it was on PSPlus and CoD campaigns are short so why not. It was fine I guess

53. Spider Man Miles Morales PS5 - hot take maybe but I liked it more than the original, it was so much tighter and perfectly paced.

54. AEW Fight Forever Switch - Wrestling games have always seemed more interesting than the TV shows mainly because they have the best character creators in the industry. This one…did not. Again, my unfamiliarity with the product probably hurt but this seemed to have nothing to it.

55. Mazinsaga Genesis - Mazinger based genny beat em up. It gets brutal the farther you get in with the boss fights but part beat em up part fighter I really liked it

56. Stargield XBox - more than any other game I've played recently, this one seemed the most it is what you make of it. The main story is full as shit but there is lots of fun to be had if you look for it.

57. Mortal Kombat 1 PS5 Far and away the worst of the modern MKs, a step backwards in every way.

58. Horizon Forbidden West PS5 I never really got into it the way I did the original. It was fine, but it just never grabbed or captivated me.

59. Super Mario Wonder Switch - holy shit, this is the Mario game I've been waiting for for 30 years. So good in every way and it let me be Daisy, so it's immediately GOATed.

60. Gungrave GORE Xbox - much like with Evil West, it's a simple small scale game and I loved it for that. I didn't play the first two games in the series or watch the anime so it was all nonsense to me lol

61. Gunpuru Gunman's Proof SNES - what if Link had guns? Great ALTTP clone for SNES. Short but so sweet.

62. Like a Dragon Gaiden PS5 - I always say I'm going to CritPath LaDs and I always get so fucking sucked in I do everything. This one was no exception. Does absolutely nothing new(minus Kiryus tools), but all the old hits are still so good. Great story to keep it going and ending that had me in tears.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018
I'll probably beat no more than 25 games this year, unless I wind up going to grad school or becoming unemployed. Also, unless I get completely burned out on them, will likely be playing (for me) quite a few long games. I've already put an ungodly amount of time into P4G, heh.

Beaten:
Plague Tale Requiem

In Progress:
Persona 4 Golden

On Deck:
Chain of Echoes
Omori

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
5a2e64bc4cc3aa83debbd7536eea212d.jpg

Game 11: Little Samson (NES) (2 Hours) (February 13th, 2023)
First of all, no I do not own a real copy of this game, no way I am paying $1000 for a game let alone an NES platformer I've never played before, I emulated this like I do every other game on older consoles I play. Little Samson is pretty fun! I've played a lot of NES games recently and it was easy to tell from the start it's a late NES game, it looks wonderful and the pixel art is top notch, you can tell the devs were pushing to technical boundaries of the system. Immediately from the start the game surprises with a wonderful feeling jump, and then the surprise of playing four pretty fun and unique characters. They're all interesting to control in their own right, but in the end a lot of levels felt too focused on one character than the cast as a whole. It's pretty ambitious in that fact but it does feel disappointment given each character controls wonderfully in their own right. The music is the big let down, you get a track for each character and one new track in the final area but besides that the music is static and boring even when switching between multiple characters. The tracks themselves aren't bad, but the variety sucks

Overall, pretty fun! It'll rank above a fair few on the "Best NES games list" but it sure as hell isn't worth what collectors are paying. As an aside, that boxart version of Samson is ugly as hell

Original Post

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Main Post

Starting to realise that playing through so many short games is probably gonna trivialise this challenge a bit, gonna have to start some more longer games. The Megaman marathon continues though.

tBxkRFb.png

Megaman X (SNES) - February 7th

Can't really think of too much to say about this one to be honest. It's an absolute masterpiece and a big favourite of mine. Megaman X is easily my overall favourite Megaman game (along with X4) as well as the best game on SNES, and this replay didn't do anything to change that opinion. I suppose it was a bit of a change of pace to play through the game using a keyboard since I just emulated it onto my laptop this playthrough. Surprisingly easy to get used to after playing the game on a controller for the last decade and it made mashing was sooooo easy though, though the hadouken was a bit more difficult. Absolute perfection from beginning to end and one of my favourite games of all time.

5/5

6fAJjq3.png

Megaman V (Gameboy) - February 10th
Yeah I can definitely see why people say this is the best of the Gameboy Megaman games. Megaman V was an absolute treat from beginning to end and a big improvement over IV which was already a pretty great time. The level design was generally great, as were the bosses, with little to no frustrating sections. Putting a Devil as a midway point boss fight definitely caught me off guard but it was a very fun take on it and more than manageable. The replacement of the charge shot with the Mega Arm was a really interesting gimmick, and keeping the hitbox when it returns to you was super useful. The upgrades to allow it to collect items and do extra damage were neat too, though the latter seemed to be pretty hit or miss on whether it actually worked. The only big complaint I have is that your required to backtrack for at least one of the gems in the second half, though getting them is definitely worth it for reducing weapon energy usage. I also decided to give the Super Gameboy a spin for this one and while the border was a little boring, I did appreciate the light colouration it gave the hud and the different colour palettes per stage. Megaman V was overall a very fun game and an excellent sendoff to the Gameboy games that is honestly better than many of the console games. It is absolutely worth playing if you have any interest in the Megaman games.

3.5/5

gt1s9M3.png

Megaman (Gamegear) - February 12th

Now this one is a neat curiosity. After finishing up the Gameboy line of classic Megaman game I thought it'd be worth giving what the Gamegear offered a shot. I already knew going into this that it'd be a kinda odd amalgamation of Megaman 4 and 5 from the NES and thankfully for me it leans more heavily on the 5 side of things. In terms of recreating the NES games' look and gameplay this is pretty spot on overall, though the colouration is more similar to Wily Wars and your limited to only 2 buster shots at a time for some reason though that's never an issue. The only real complaints I have with this are the short length (4 Robot Masters, 2 Wily Stage Robot Masters and Quickman's Stage+the final boss) and the screen crunch. The latter doesn't become an issue too often thankfully but when it does your gonna be making some real leaps of faith. It also shares a similar difficulty issue to Megaman II in that outside of boss fights your basically never dying to anything but pits or spikes, you take very little damage from enemies (at least on normal mode). This doesn't particularly bother me though. The robot masters are also all sped up for some reason , though it only really alters how you fight Toadman since you can't just lock him into a loop with the Mega Buster here. A short, easy, and kinda weird game but still pretty fun for what it is, probably not worth going out of your way to play through though.

3/5

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
gt1s9M3.png

Megaman (Gamegear) - February 12th

Now this one is a neat curiosity. After finishing up the Gameboy line of classic Megaman game I thought it'd be worth giving what the Gamegear offered a shot. I already knew going into this that it'd be a kinda odd amalgamation of Megaman 4 and 5 from the NES and thankfully for me it leans more heavily on the 5 side of things. In terms of recreating the NES games' look and gameplay this is pretty spot on overall, though the colouration is more similar to Wily Wars and your limited to only 2 buster shots at a time for some reason though that's never an issue. The only real complaints I have with this are the short length (4 Robot Masters, 2 Wily Stage Robot Masters and Quickman's Stage+the final boss) and the screen crunch. The latter doesn't become an issue too often thankfully but when it does your gonna be making some real leaps of faith. It also shares a similar difficulty issue to Megaman II in that outside of boss fights your basically never dying to anything but pits or spikes, you take very little damage from enemies (at least on normal mode). This doesn't particularly bother me though. The robot masters are also all sped up for some reason , though it only really alters how you fight Toadman since you can't just lock him into a loop with the Mega Buster here. A short, easy, and kinda weird game but still pretty fun for what it is, probably not worth going out of your way to play through though.

3/5
I did a run through on MM GG recently, and as far as I can tell - the way difficulties worked as that "normal" is basically an easy mode. Not super easy, its just more adapted to the smaller GG screen and worse (for me at least) Dpad.
I did a run on the hard mode and the main two changes I could tell are: more enemies, and you take more damage. Enemy wise - since they reduce enemy counts in stages on normal to make it a tad bit fairer, hard mode basically restores all the enemy placements as they were in the NES games (Ive played them that much I could tell...)
You take more damage now, I think more in line with the NES games but its really not too much of an issue as health drops are numerous. Its only an issue on the bosses as they are way faster (and Napalm Man deals damage to you not just on the bombs/missiles but also the explosions from the bombs/missiles - something absent in the NES version). Bright Man is an annoyance as the trick to prevent him time stopping is also absent.
Oh, and those annoying snail enemies that shoot their eyes at you have normal hit points in hard mode, not the wonderful one shot kill on normal mode.

Lastly, when playing on an actual Game Gear, the dpad made it really annoying to navigate some of the obstacles. But I blame the hardware and less the game on this one. Playing it again on an Analogue Pocket removed the control issues, bar my tendancy to slide to much in Toad Man's stage (I find it weird its just on this one stage).

Its a fun game for sure. Not amazing, but not bad either.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

6. - Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX (Steam) (4/5)

This is, as of now, my favorite Gunvolt game so far. They finally nailed a gameplay loop that made me interested. And the story isn't a cringe fest that barely makes sense! Copen is not annoying this time! I can actually appreciate the music!

The game still has some annoying difficult spikes (the final boss kicked my ass more than I wanted, lol), but it's so much better paced that's not even funny. I almost want to get back to this one to get better at scoring! In fact, it's the only game that I actually could manage to get 1000+ kudos consistently.

I don't have the other 2 games yet so I'm going to need to play something different on pc right now.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
I did a run through on MM GG recently, and as far as I can tell - the way difficulties worked as that "normal" is basically an easy mode. Not super easy, its just more adapted to the smaller GG screen and worse (for me at least) Dpad.
I did a run on the hard mode and the main two changes I could tell are: more enemies, and you take more damage. Enemy wise - since they reduce enemy counts in stages on normal to make it a tad bit fairer, hard mode basically restores all the enemy placements as they were in the NES games (Ive played them that much I could tell...)
You take more damage now, I think more in line with the NES games but its really not too much of an issue as health drops are numerous. Its only an issue on the bosses as they are way faster (and Napalm Man deals damage to you not just on the bombs/missiles but also the explosions from the bombs/missiles - something absent in the NES version). Bright Man is an annoyance as the trick to prevent him time stopping is also absent.
Oh, and those annoying snail enemies that shoot their eyes at you have normal hit points in hard mode, not the wonderful one shot kill on normal mode.

Lastly, when playing on an actual Game Gear, the dpad made it really annoying to navigate some of the obstacles. But I blame the hardware and less the game on this one. Playing it again on an Analogue Pocket removed the control issues, bar my tendancy to slide to much in Toad Man's stage (I find it weird its just on this one stage).

Its a fun game for sure. Not amazing, but not bad either.
Ah that explains it. I was thinking enemy placements might've been different from the NES games but I wasn't sure. Might have to give hard mode a try now, it seems like it'd be worth at least a go. The snails not being a one hit kill sounds like the best change to me, they were always one of my favourite minibosses from the NES games. Yeah I could definitely see playing on actual hardware not being great for this though I emulated it so I didn't have many issues thankfully.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
6. Fire Emblem Engage ★★★

BIbonfG.jpg

I approached Engage with slight trepidation ever since that initial leaked image of the two tone pepsi haired lead told me quite clearly that we were no longer in Fodlan. Typically you can count on the gameplay of a FE game to deliver, but not even the series hitting an arguable strategic modern peak with the 3DS' Fire Emblem Fates Conquest, could save the game itself from being incredibly divisive, the elements surrounding that core combat involving a true contender for the WOAT game storyline, flat caricature cast members even by FE trope standards, and other peculiarities like whatever that face prodding element was about that the localisers had to tone down.

See there's anime, and there's anime, I don't know how else to make this clearer than with my beloved lionel hutz gif, surely it tells you everything you need to know.

w7pQUgu.gif

Despite both my fears and certain realities about Engage, it is in fact a good game, one that managed to drag me over from "oh no, it's Fates all over again" in the first few hours to "okay but this game is actually pretty good, even if the plot is absolute dribble" by the end.

Effectively, the gameplay is classic Fire Emblem refined to a razors edge, with a fresh gimmick layered on top that allows your chosen units to initiate a popping the eff off state for a few turns that allows for some true shenanigans. What teeters on being unbalanced is kept somewhat in check by the game coming right back at you with reinforcements out the wazoo and boss enemies rocking multiple health bars. While these aspects keep the player from dancing all over the game's face, they're not exactly thrilling to contend with and often boil strategy down to rushdown tactics and abusing power moves.

The difficulty curve is also a wacky wild ride, hard mode lives up to its name for me, and it has a particularly brutal mid game that actually balances out towards the end as the game dumps a ton of optional paralogues in bulk that you wouldn't leave untouched anyway because the benefits are too noticeable. Oddly for a game where the difficulty balance is always going to be out of sorts with the potential to grind, the game's source of such things are absolutely nails in a comically overtuned fashion that will leave your units dead instead of overlevelled, and I have no earthly idea what the angle from Intelligent Systems was here.

I find engage interesting in that sense, it starts off a bit like your usual brand of FE strategy, before shifting into this more cheese or be cheesed dynamic that pushes the player to make risks that are just about blunted enough by the rewind mechanic to not make it feel like a slog, in a sense it feels like the first of these titles designed with rewind in mind.

Engage's Vtuber powered cast sloooooowly grew on me as the game went on, they ain't the best, they ain't the worst, if nothing else the designs pop, the visual style in general is a lot more colourful than the sorta drab three houses, why this might be the first 3D entry into the series you can describe as actually looking GOOD.
Outside the combat there's a halfway house between Fates "My Castle" and Three Houses Monastery, it doesn't have the brevity of Fates, and not the extra depth/worldbuilding of the monastery so we can leave both camps a bit dissatisfied, yet I still appreciate its inclusion.

To spend time trying to tackle this game's plot would be like opting to go in on a 20% chance to hit against a killing edge wielding swordmaster, the game's anniversary angle of nostalgia popping leads to series tropes upon tropes upon well worn tropes, it's all delivered with utmost sincerity and longwinded melodramatic dialogue exchanges that instead end up having the Advance Wars like "oh diddly damn, you beat me this time but oh just you wait sonny jim!" level of pathos. Some say "Saturday morning cartoon vibes!", I say "4Kids badly localising an anime vibes", sorry, this game's story ain't it.

But it does have Panette, all glory to our ginger goth and her critical axe.

7. Hi-Fi Rush ★★★★

LQkjqW6.gif

What an absolute treat to be shadow dropped on us all, the merger of rhythm gameplay and character action game sounds like something that should go oh so wrong, but like other games that went against the odds (see also: pinball metroidvania in Yoku's Island Express), Hi-Fi Rush makes it work.
The game has just the right amount of leniency for being off beat, and reward for staying on. Some of the most committed visual indicators I've ever seen to keep you in the flow state as the world itself keeps time with the beat, which on top of being very useful, just also looks really nice, the whole world is poppin'.

Initially the game's humour seemed like it might fall a bit flat, and then even that bucks expectations and became the funniest game I've played since Psychonauts 2, with a nack for comic timing alongside great and expressive animation. There can be some finicky moments in combat, and chai's default movement is a touch too slow for my liking, but otherwise I've not got much else negative to say here, for a first swing by Tango at this kinda game, they did a great job.

The game oozes a level of confidence that you can just feel radiating from it as you play, this isn't to say it's not without a few slow spots and I can see some points that might be a bit too walky-talky on replays between combat, for that initial run though? what a ride, top shelf endgame as well that had me grinning like a loon.
It's too soon for me to consider it among my action game top shelf (Ninja Gaiden Black, Bayo 2, yeah I said 2!), I will however comfortably slot it in the shelf just below in other good company for now, and I'll hope that Microsoft are beavering away on an audio speaker shaped like 808

8. Yoshi's Island ★★★★ (replay)

DnSz2CR.jpg

Growing up, the GBA port of Yoshi's Island quickly worked its way into my all time faves, I adored that game.
Then as time went on I cooled on it a lot, absence makes the heart grow fonder I think, because while I still feel it's not "the secret best Mario game" or whatever people used to bang on about for e-cred during the noughties , it is still very damn good and has what might be my favourite art direction of any game, ever.

The SNES version of Yoshi's Island gives and takes, firstly you have the obvious superior audiovisuals, very important here because while the game only has a handful of stage themes, each one is a jam, and the visuals popping more goes without saying. Unfortunately, the SNES version also amplifies the feeling that anything less than 100 points in every stage might as well be a score of 0, it's the big sticking point of YI to me because if you actively ignore the flowers/coins, then you miss out on the actual full level design of each stage. The GBA adding six new stages was a winner for two reasons, first of course being more stages, but second was having an extra stage worth of points would allow you to unlock the original hidden stages without needing to perfect run every stage in the game (they may have also lowered the total needed)

I'd forgotten that YI SNES asked so much of you because after wrapping up Baby Bowser I was ready to drop back in and play the other six stages, only to be reminded that SNES YI demands perfection, well eff me for missing one red coin every now and then eh? I should've abused rewind more.

I bring this up mainly to ponder a world where Yoshi's Island SNES and GBA merge together and create the true Yoshi's Island, heck be a real rad game and do the Woolly World thing where collectables stay collected so the act of going from 99 points to 100 isn't "do it all again", ah what could be.
Oh well, all the best extra stages were GBA ones anyway, I guess I ain't losing sleep enduring Poochy ain't Stupid and Endless World of Yoshis.

Oh yeah, so Yoshi's Island, yep, it's still very creative, one can't overlook how novel the egg mechanic once was before Nintendo/Artoon made a bunch of incredibly naff direct sequels that made it feel tired with the quickness. Leads to fun bosses, interesting collectables and unfortunately some occasional stodgy pacing because you gotta wait for a pipe or spoopy ghost to vomit out 6 shyguys so you can top up.

Whenever I get a bit flummoxed by its weaker points (those train transformation segments...) I simply look at the enemy designs, the backgrounds and all of a sudden it's great again

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
w5007wcxt.jpg

9. Rivals of Aether

Flawed - ★★☆☆ (2/4)

Beat the story mode, as in all of the character specific chapters and then the unlockable stage.

Honestly, I should probably rate this one higher. It's technically sound and it's a fairly robust package. But this kind of game immediately builds my antipathy towards it and it does almost nothing to break it out. It's not that I think there can't be games similar to Smash Bros., I've liked games similar to Smash Bros. well before this one was in the works, but it's that it's so specifically based on reproducing the Smash Bros. experience that I just can't view it as its own thing. The nomenclature, the musical identity, the menus, the colours, they're all screaming to me that this isn't just a game that came out of people inspired by Smash Bros., but which comes out of a specific subset of the fandom who find it easier to just make their own version of the game instead of appreciating that it can capture multiple audiences.

That's not to say that there's zero originality, but even then, I find myself scoffing at it a bit. Not so much the character movesets, since despite importing a lot of moves almost directly from Smash, the characters don't really tend to have strong analogues to individual Smash characters. But look at, say, Abyss mode. It's a level where you have to survive continuous waves of enemies are other threads while on the same set of platforms. Sometimes they'll have special conditions, or other missions like smashing circular objects that appear around the stage. It feels like it's just slapping together different Smash minigames and modes such as Multi-Man Smash and Break the Targets and calling it original.

The story does try to be distinct. My gut feeling is that it's ripped out of Avatar: The Last Airbender but I haven't seen the show to confirm. It's about a fantasy world where a conflict is created between different nations associated with the Greek elements. It's a humorless story which uses some serious language like "patricide". The thing that gets me, though, is that no other part of the game makes any effort to support this tone. Characters like Orcane and Wrastor look totally goofy but their stories are as dire as the rest of them. The stages as as bright and colourful as Smash is. They put in no effort to prime me for this sort of atmosphere, so instead of feeling that it's got a balance of cool and funny, I end up laughing because its attempts to be cool and reading to me as funny.

No matter how good it is, it just serves to remind me of Smash Bros. and make me want to play that instead of more Rivals of Aether. That's why I don't really want to give it a better score even if I think there's good reason to. There are just so many fighting games out there which are much rougher than this but I have way more respect for because at least I feel like they were doing something to stand out.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Productive day/week for me so far, with a couple of "bigger" games for me completed. Well, bigger compared to the retro games I've been mainly focusing on. Progress over the next month will be interesting as I'll have Ishin Kiwami downloaded for the weekend, and I get so obsessive with that series that I expect to play nothing else for the best part of the month, well, except the PSVR2 releases coming next week. Guess I'll aim to be done for when RE4 REmake is released!

32. No More Heroes (Switch) - Im finally gonna play NMH2 and 3, so thought Id replay the first as well. I still love it, one of those "its flawed but super fun to replay" types of game. I do feel that the first half might be stronger than the second? I just think some of those lower rank bosses like Shinobu are more interesting (both as a fight, and a character) compared to some of the later ones (the magician for sure... I routinely forget his fight even exists in the game). Also... I feel the fights against goons is done better in that first half, some of the middle/late game levels really phone it in with super short fights/set pieces that arent as fun as the first few, in my opinion. I do love the shoot em up section though, that's pretty fun.
The game also has some amazing moments of robbing you of boss fights... there's at least two really cool looking characters you dont get to fight. Ah well... the last two fights (rank 1 and the "real" final boss are both excellent fun that help get the game back on track so all in all it ends on a really cool high. Now to finally get a move on with NMH2.

33. Dead Space (Remake, PS5) - Having replayed the original game right before this, it gives me a better appreciation for what they did with the remake. There's little sections here and there that are added, Zero G sections completely reworked, turret sections removed and reworked, some new objectives, all new script/voice acting (which is well done I feel) while keeping that same satisfying combat! That said, they did an amazing job fleshing out certain sides to the combat, so it feels better to grab and throw objects at enemies. I played it on hard mode, and felt that it was "just about right" in terms of how I wanted my experience to be, its definitely more challenging than the original game on default difficulty, and the groups of enemies (especially near the end) were pretty damn dangerous. Definitely one of the best remakes Ive played.

34. Vampire Hunter (various) - Cleared the game with all 14 characters across various ports/platforms. I really loved the game, Id never really put as much time into Vampire compared to the Marvel and SF Zero games around release, but replaying them now, they really hold up. The characters are all larger than life, animated beautifully, and are so wacky and varied. Its one of those rare times where there's really no weak link in the cast from what I played, my favourites as far as characters/animations go are Lei Lei, Anarkaris, Sasquatch and Albath.

Next up:

Monster Hunter Rise
RGG Ishin Kiwami!
Mass Effect 2

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

[/QUOTE]

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
Main Post

06. Dust: An Elysian Tail (PS4 - 2014) | Feb/14 - 15hrs | 7/10
q5CAFf1.png

In its mechanics, Dust is a very competent metroidvania. Combat feels satisfying, and the skills acquired over the course of the game are used in interesting ways both to navigate scenarios and to solve puzzles.

It's an easy game, the kind you can shut off your brain and do 100%. I confess that it was a little difficult to take his story as seriously as the game itself does, since the character designs seem to have come out of some bootleg version of any animated movie. Fortunately, the scenarios and combat animations are beautiful, so overall it's a very enjoyable game, even if not very memorable.​

07. Jumping Flash! 2 (PS1 / PS Vita - 1996) | Feb/16 - 3hrs | 8/10
9AZAEkL.png

I'm very fond of this game and every time I play it I'm surprised by how interesting is the ideia of a first-person platformer, made way before twin-stick controls became the norm. Even though the Normal campaign is easy and short, there's good enough reasons to play the Extra, Super and Hyper modes, for me at least is where the game truly shines, becoming more challenging and fun to play.

I have a soft sport for its aesthetics (the character designs in particular is excellent), and I truly love the soundtrack.

With the amount of focus that Sony has been giving recently to VR, I can't help but think about the possibility of someone there bringing back this franchise, I feel that there is some potential there... Until then, I hope that this one at least comes out for the current gen, with trophies and everything, just like the first one (which I intend to play eventually).​

Last edited:

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
1Gb0EYw.jpg
10 | Chained Echoes
PS5 | Feb 07 | 55 h | 4.5/5

This was sooo close to being a perfect game. I thoroughly enjoyed playing this one.

The art and cutscenes are beautiful and wonderfully done. The monsters, the backgrounds, the mechs, everything is well done. The story is a bit generic RPG at first; extra flair towards the later half. I loved the introduction and designs of the enemies. The combat was engaging with the Overheat bar. There's no random encounters (you see the enemies on the map) and no drag auto-combat system. You restore health and "magic" after every encounter, which is awesome. No carrying around an absurd amount of healing items or visiting an inn.

The game will occasionally screw with your party formations and put your bench warmers up front to solely irritate you. A couple of fights have lame one shot mechanics. Not fun to play against. Grinding the game wasn't bad until you get unlucky with RNG enemy drops.

The good far outweighs the negatives on CE. I felt a bit sad once I collected the platinum. Almost wanted it to continue.

Main Post

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

[4/52 completed]

4) Donkey Kong Country
- Platform: SNES on Switch | Rating: 9.5/10 | Date finished: February 15th

Donkey_Kong_Country_SNES_cover.png

Decided on a whim to do a DKC replay because I hadn't played it in a while. Still a great game that holds up but it is my least favorite of the trilogy. DKC 2 has always been my favorite and I think DKC 3 gets unfairly hated on a lot of the times when it builds upon a lot of what the first two did. DKC 1 put the foundation in place for the rest of the series but it is rather barebones in comparison which makes it less interesting. That said, it's still a classic and always a treat going back through it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm twelve games in and Waste Eater is the first 2023 new release that I've finished this year. I figure that merits a post.

YRjXvjF.png
This is an imaginative short story, well-told with minimal art, animations, and just a few dialogue choices. Reminiscent of Can Androids Pray, but I prefer the ideas and story in this one. I'll chalk that up to the Le Guin influence, as referenced in the end credits. It only takes a few minutes to experience and uses its time well to consider mortality, community, and the desire to make a better world possible.

Play it for free/pwyw here.

My main post is here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
banner-1200x627-21pfwg.png

10. ExZeus 2
Flawed - ★★☆☆ (2/4)

With the original ExZeus being as bad as it was, I was fulling expecting to write this off as a terrible game. Instead I ended up liking it a lot. I actually feel tempted to score it higher, but it feels like it would be especially weird to do so after being harsh with games that are probably better. It's like the first game was just a tech demo and the second game was the actual product.

The game still looks pretty bad, especially the UI, but the gameplay has been heavily revised. The basics of them don't sound great. There's now only one playable character. The in-game shop now has attack, defense, and speed upgrades which are visible on your character. Your super attack is with cinematic attacks performed by selecting from a menu and which have to be bought from the store, which is probably the clunkiest decision here.

But the big thing is the levels. Whereas the original game seemed to be just filled with a bunch of enemies with no rhyme or reason, being hard to avoid threats simply because what's happening is unreadable, this seems to have tried its damnedest to instead feel like there are clearly events happening through the levels. They highlight some new enemy times with a close-up so that when they deliver one who is particularly frustrating, you can remember it and prioritize them. Sometimes they'll have sections where you're just grabbing powerups. The levels are huge and sprawling, and you'll turn around and fly through things as you progress.

The levels are broken up into multiple gameplay segments. The ground segments are sort of the equivalent to Star Fox 64's all range mode, where you can move in all directions and hunt down enemies. I actually prefer this one since it's slow moving, and so it's much easier to actually find enemies, although it's admittedly finicky - you'd think that it would trigger melee attacks based on whether or not you're in range to do them, but it's not nearly that consistent. It also sometimes has flying enemies which are tricky to hit, which finally gives a clear reason to use the lock on attack aside from just being extra firepower. Then there are a bunch of vehicle sections which each operate a little different, and the vertical shmup levels between the major levels. They can be clunky, but altogether it's actually a fair amount of variety within the arcade gameplay.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Some more games this week. Including some really short games because the mood struck me.

13: Kirby's Dream Land. End: 2/11/2023

Witness the humble beginnings of a gaming icon. This game is so weird considering how much of what we think of Kirby are just not in this game (the iconic copy ability, Meta Knight, cosmic horrors hinting at a much deeper lore). It's also an incredibly short and very easy game intended for beginners (excluding Extra Mode, not that there's anything wrong with that). Yet this is still a really fun game to just pick up and play.

14: WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames! End: 2/12/2023

Speaking of short games, the first WarioWare is just a collection of the shortest games. The first WarioWare was rather unique because of how it was constructed.

15: Sonic Frontiers. End: 2/14/2023

If I were to review this game, I'd give it a 7 out of 10. This is the most 7 out of 10 game I might have ever played. But the foundations it sets for future Sonic games have me anticipating the next game. Hopefully the developers can take what they've learned from this game and create something even better. I haven't felt this way about a Sonic game in quite some time.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
latest

2. Star Ocean: First Departure
This game has been in my backlog let's say...10 years? A long time, at least. I first came across this game when I was a wee bab and playing a Japanese version on ZSNES. On and off over the years I've picked this game up and put it down. This year, after the most recent port, I was determined to actually finish the game. Worth it? Eh. I should note this is the psp version I played. The gameplay is fine and the story is sort of interesting. But it's very, very slow and honestly not a lot happens. None of the recruited characters that I picked up felt particularly interesting. The best aspect of this game was experimenting with the item creation and speciality features. I like figuring out mechanics in old games and this was no exception. Unfortunately, that's really the one highlight for me. There are better rpgs on the psp, and, despite its at the time advanced features, there are also better rpgs on the SNES. The developers themselves in the secret dev room in-game said the game was a massive pain to make and they weren't sure it was even good. Still, I'm very glad to have this game finally completed; it's been a long time coming.

Main Post

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
  1. ZHP: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman (NSW) ★★☆☆☆ (22 hours)
  2. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (NSW) ★★★☆☆ (15 hours)
  3. Wario Land 3 (NSW) ★★★☆☆ (12 hours)
  4. Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins (NSW) ★★☆☆☆ (1.5 hours)
  5. Kuru Kuru Kururin (NSW) ★★½☆☆ (1.5 hours)
  6. Contra: Hard Corps (NSW) ★★★½☆ (1.5 hours)
  7. WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ (NSW) ★☆☆☆☆ (1.5 hours)
  8. Super Fantasy Zone (NSW) ★½☆☆☆ (1.5 hours)
  9. Makai Kingdom: Reclaimed & Rebound (NSW) ★★☆☆☆ (50 hours)
  10. Fire Emblem: Engage (NSW) ★★★½☆ (16 hours)
  11. Gurumin 3D (3DS) ★½☆☆☆ (9 hours)
  12. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (3DS) ★★★☆☆ (26 hours)
  13. Resident Evil 4 (2023) (PC) ★★★★☆ (30 hours)
  14. Bowser Jr.'s Journey (3DS) ★★★½☆ (20 hours)
  15. Pulseman (NSW) ★★½☆☆ (2 hours)
  16. Labyrinth of Galleria: The Moon Society (NSW) ★★★★☆ (125 hours)
  17. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (NSW) ★★★★★ (210 hours)
  18. Fuga: Melodies of Steel 2 (NSW) ★★★½☆ (26 hours)
  19. Fuga: Melodies of Steel (NSW) ★★★☆☆ (12 hours)
  20. Pikmin 4 (NSW) ★★★★½ (33 hours)
  21. Advance Wars (NSW) ★★★☆☆ (15 hours)
  22. Pokemon: The Trading Card Game (NSW) ★★★½☆ (15 hours)
  23. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (NSW) ★★☆☆☆ (15 hours)
  24. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (NSW) ★★½☆☆ (15 hours)
  25. Pokemon Scarlet (NSW) ★★★☆☆ (35 hours)
  26. Kirby's Star Stacker (NSW) ★☆☆☆☆ (1.5 hours)

well i am back on my bullshit. after last year and seeing how daunting the backlog is, i didn't think i'd be down this road again. but the nso additions of gba and game boy were too tempting to pass up, so i've been playing some things i've played in the past and some i haven't.

zhp was given a shot after i really had an itch for a new roguelike after starting to run out of steam on slay the spire. i remembered wario land 3 the least. contra: hard corps was the most fun so far. just kinda dumb running and shooting was what i needed after wario land 3's puzzles and kuru kuru kurin's tests of patience.

finally played warioware for realsies after having tried it out 20 years ago and it didn't vibe with me. it doesn't vibe with me.

Last edited:

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
1465571778-4560-card.jpg

6) 999: Nine Doors Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors(XB1) 1/24-1/30

Can't say enough good things about my revisit with this one. So admittedly, I got 1 ending of 999 on my Nintendo 3DS about a decade ago and was so soured on the thought process of having to replay the game again to get more ending to get a true climax of the game. It didn't make sense to me to have to replay everything, as someone who at the time had little to no understanding of a visual novel with a flowchart so I consistently thought to myself, "What's everyone seeing in this game that I am not?!" but boy a decade or so later, I got it. I was hooked and consistently on my seat wanting to dig deeper into this mystery. Despite being a near 15+ year old game(At least here in US), this game still holds up amazingly well and I absolutely can see why people hold this game as the very best that Kotaro Uchikoshi has written. Don't get me wrong but I still hold the 1st A.I. The Somnium Files as his very best work but this game truly holds up so well nevertheless.

I am one of the very few people who despite getting 1 ending of 999 ages ago, I played and really enjoyed myself with Uchikoshi's later work, the aforementioned A.I. Somnium Files before getting into his older and well-regarded 'Zero Escape' series....and truth be told, I think that's what made the difference. See, there's so many similarities in his writing and so much wink-nods that I didn't get upon playing this game long ago that I got after 60 or so hours among his 2 other titles. The sound effects of entering the escape rooms, the insane plot twists, the scientific formulaic explanations, this time around....I got it.

My 2nd playthrough of 999 was played on the XBOX One as apart of the ported Zero Escape two game set which is important because there's a massive difference amongst the original Nintendo DS version vs this updated one that sealed the deal for me acquiring every single ending and getting all of the achievements possible in this story. The original DS version had you restart the game over, only with the capabilities of fast forwarding all of the unnecessary dialogue. The updated version allows you to skip around via a now traditional flowchart so you don't have to playthrough every part or escape rooms again to try and get each of the multiple endings necessary to get the true ending and uncover the full mystery. This is huge and made the revisiting/backtracking much, much more manageable, maybe the flowchart concept came a little too late for the original version to get to it, but I don't get why this wasn't incorporated in the older game?! By no means is this a perfect experience, as you actually have to visit and answer certain ways that you are given little to no advice upon doing in what is an admittedly, overly hidden way of telling the story but boy is the payoff worth it.

The characters, the pacing, the story, the actual puzzles, everything gameplay and story wise is fantastic with 999. It's like if the Saw series had a numbers theme attached to all of the puzzles as this is a escape room enthusiasts dream game. Without spoiling too much, basically it's a cast of characters who get kidnapped and are put together in a sinking ship and have to work together and solve numerical puzzles and essential trap rooms/escape rooms to progress, all the while having a time limit to escape or else it's death. It's such a simple concept but it's just well done where you have no idea what is to come next. There's different endings that venture off to some absolutely wacky and crazy storylines amongst the characters but I am pretty satisfied with the true ending you can do in this visual novel. There's a fair amount of gameplay but nothing too overly demanding so it works as a game after work.

Overall: 9.25/10 Easily recommended, one of the better visual novels I played and I totally get why people bang the desk hard for it amongst it's counterparts of this genre. Everything works well and there's very few flaws. The voice acting is about standard of what you'd expect from this game with this type of budget, nothing great but nothing ear-grinding either. The flowchart could have been a tadbit better but besides that, this game does so much, so well.

header.jpg

7) Syberia 2(NSW) 2/6-2/8

More like Syberia 1.5..........because that's what it felt like. Without going too much into detail, I didn't really care much for Syberia 1 because it lacked any real substance and felt rather bland from start to finish, at least for me. Syberia 2 doesn't really change much of anything, if you liked Syberia 1, it's more of the same. The only real differences that this game has are more CGI effects which again are the equivalent to a mid 2000's game so it hasn't aged well in the least bit but you can at least appreciate the effort put in.

Story picks up off where Syberia 1 leaves you and it's a story that doesn't really go anywhere but it stays consistent to the tone and pacing that the 1st game had so again one of those "more of the same" type of deals. It really feels like a borderline carbon copy of the 1st game only with new environments and a couple of new characters. It's probably I would grade the 1st one a little higher because even though I didn't really like the 1st game, I expected the 2nd game to build upon the 1st game to make things better, not just do the same things.

Overall: 5.75/10 Just an overall giant nothing burger. The game is a bit shorter than the 1st one but it felt more like DLC of the 1st game more than anything rather than a full fledged sequel or anything that changes the game from what the 1st one tries to do. Color me somewhat unimpressed with the 1st 2 Syberia games, I think it's a series that gets outshined by later games of the same ilk and it loses it's bite. Not much else to say since it's a borderline clone to Syberia 1 only with new characters, somewhat of a new plot and better CGI/graphics for it's time.

th

8) Hi-Fi Rush(XBX) 1/25, 2/4-2/5, 2/8

What a heck of a shadow drop by Bethesda & Tango Studios! Easily one of the better experiences out of a 1st party XBOX studio in quite some time. Practically, Hi-Fi Rush is a rhythm based No More Heroes with very fun even if somewhat steep learning curve of a rhythm button press. It has the comedy and writing of what is essentially a Saturday morning cartoon show, the gameplay can still be won without needing to be a rhythm based maestro and it gives you a fair amount of game length(10 hours for me) with so much collectibles and postgame content to play if need be. The humor and lighthearted-ness as mentioned feels like a show that would be on Disney or Cartoon Network which are channels I grew up with and characters that are pretty likable and each have their moments in the story. While the plot of the game stays on course and is nothing too memorable, it's the characters interaction with one another that makes it an enjoyable time altogether.

Admittedly, this is a game that doesn't touch a 9 or 10 for me, mostly because Hi-Fi Rush somewhat trips over it's own feet whenever it is building momentum. The 1st section of the game was a little too tutorial heavy and consistent reminders of how to play the game which is a
necessary albeit annoying gameplay element that haunts this game. You can skip the tutorials, however from a pace standpoint, it just got a bit much when it came to begin to get your tastebuds salivating only to have to do a 1-2 minute tutorial on something brand new gameplay wise introduced. Tutorials are even brought up nearly halfway through the game even! Again, these hints or tutorials are skippable(Not all though IIRC) so it isn't a massive fail but it dominated the 1st area of the game where I was worried this game would be a handholding-fest. Fortunately, this was not the case! The gameplay has a bit of a learning curve, especially for some of the enemies who you are forced into doing a rhythm minigame where you have to time your parries to near perfection to fully defeat an bigger enemy or boss. I died countless times for not getting the timing right and there's absolutely going to be a bit of a growing pain for plenty of people too. However, once you get it, it feels pretty satisfying. Another semi-blemish is the platforming is really pinpoint and gives you little to no real leeway towards missing, as you will clip off of a platform nor does your main character(Chai) get to pull himself up a ledge. Fortunately, this game is very ground level for a lot of the game but there are segments that you must platform and given it's both timed to a rhythm, you need to be really good here. There's a part in this game that has platforms that you must stay still and wait until you reach a destination which I could have done without because it just stagnates the game at that given part but again a minor blemish.

So many more positives to share with Hi-Fi Rush too. In addition to the cute & easy to follow story and combat is a ton of collectibles and sidequests that can be done. There's practically an entire postgame full of content of doors you could not explore in every act that you can now go to do! The combat sequence needs to be touched a little more upon because it is DEEP! You do play a character who smashes enemies with a makeshift guitar but he is teamed with 3 different allies in what makes for a chaotic yet super fun combat sequence where these allies become mandatory to use to break the shield or guard of an enemy that Chai/Your protagonist could not normally break. Likewise, there's a shop that you can buy upgrades for moves for these allies characters in addition to yourself so there's quite a bit of different styles a player can have their character(s) have. There's double team attacks or upgrades to an assisting allies to help you gather style points even better. Speaking of style points, there's grading by the game that happens after every combat sequence that goes based off of TIME/STYLE/RHYTHM that adds up to your currency to help buy these aforementioned upgrades. Nothing crazy to pay attention to but there's
definitely an added bonus to how well you master Hi-Fi Rush! I played this game on hard mode and died a bunch of times but it never got to the point that I had to lower the game which I feel like often has happened in these type of action games so the difficulty curve is more than fair.

Overall: 8/75/10 Again all of the negatives are minor blemishes at best and should not defer anybody from trying this game out. I had such a fun time with Hi-Fi Rush, it was not on anyone's radar for 2023 yet this has really set the bar for all games released on the year(This is my only 2023 then again LOL). Just an overall good time, easy to recommended if you own XBOX Game Pass and while Hi-Fi Rush tends to trip over it's own feet whenever it truly gets good, it does so much more good than bad during the 10+ hours you will get out of this one.

Last edited:

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
1465571778-4560-card.jpg

6) 999: Nine Doors Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors(XB1) 1/24-1/30

Can't say enough good things about my revisit with this one. So admittedly, I got 1 ending of 999 on my Nintendo 3DS about a decade ago and was so soured on the thought process of having to replay the game again to get more ending to get a true climax of the game. It didn't make sense to me to have to replay everything, as someone who at the time had little to no understanding of a visual novel with a flowchart so I consistently thought to myself, "What's everyone seeing in this game that I am not?!" but boy a decade or so later, I got it. I was hooked and consistently on my seat wanting to dig deeper into this mystery. Despite being a near 15+ year old game(At least here in US), this game still holds up amazingly well and I absolutely can see why people hold this game as the very best that Kotaro Uchikoshi has written. Don't get me wrong but I still hold the 1st A.I. The Somnium Files as his very best work but this game truly holds up so well nevertheless.

I am one of the very few people who despite getting 1 ending of 999 ages ago, I played and really enjoyed myself with Uchikoshi's later work, the aforementioned A.I. Somnium Files before getting into his older and well-regarded 'Zero Escape' series....and truth be told, I think that's what made the difference. See, there's so many similarities in his writing and so much wink-nods that I didn't get upon playing this game long ago that I got after 60 or so hours among his 2 other titles. The sound effects of entering the escape rooms, the insane plot twists, the scientific formulaic explanations, this time around....I got it.

My 2nd playthrough of 999 was played on the XBOX One as apart of the ported Zero Escape two game set which is important because there's a massive difference amongst the original Nintendo DS version vs this updated one that sealed the deal for me acquiring every single ending and getting all of the achievements possible in this story. The original DS version had you restart the game over, only with the capabilities of fast forwarding all of the unnecessary dialogue. The updated version allows you to skip around via a now traditional flowchart so you don't have to playthrough every part or escape rooms again to try and get each of the multiple endings necessary to get the true ending and uncover the full mystery. This is huge and made the revisiting/backtracking much, much more manageable, maybe the flowchart concept came a little too late for the original version to get to it, but I don't get why this wasn't incorporated in the older game?! By no means is this a perfect experience, as you actually have to visit and answer certain ways that you are given little to no advice upon doing in what is an admittedly, overly hidden way of telling the story but boy is the payoff worth it.

The characters, the pacing, the story, the actual puzzles, everything gameplay and story wise is fantastic with 999. It's like if the Saw series had a numbers theme attached to all of the puzzles as this is a escape room enthusiasts dream game. Without spoiling too much, basically it's a cast of characters who get kidnapped and are put together in a sinking ship and have to work together and solve numerical puzzles and essential trap rooms/escape rooms to progress, all the while having a time limit to escape or else it's death. It's such a simple concept but it's just well done where you have no idea what is to come next. There's different endings that venture off to some absolutely wacky and crazy storylines amongst the characters but I am pretty satisfied with the true ending you can do in this visual novel. There's a fair amount of gameplay but nothing too overly demanding so it works as a game after work.

Overall: 9.25/10 Easily recommended, one of the better visual novels I played and I totally get why people bang the desk hard for it amongst it's counterparts of this genre. Everything works well and there's very few flaws. The voice acting is about standard of what you'd expect from this game with this type of budget, nothing great but nothing ear-grinding either. The flowchart could have been a tadbit better but besides that, this game does so much, so well.

i strongly recommend this video. i agree with its central points about the ds version versus the nonary game version.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkzebxbXx4M

to me, it was uchikoshi's intention for the player to feel increasingly frustrated like akane would be as she searches for the one path in the future that could save her. that feeling of getting locked down a path just adds to the claustrophobia the characters feel. it's something virtue's last reward can't quite nail down and something zero time dilemma doesn't even bother with.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
w500x9ijs.jpg

11. Mr. Driller DrillLand

Good - ★★★☆ (3/4)

I had actually nearly beaten this game last year without really intending to. Thanks to puzzle games being easy to play absentmindedly and the game being pretty short, I was just fooling around and suddenly I was nearly done. So this was an easy clear where I mostly knew what I was in for.

This is my first game in the series, but my understanding is that Mr. Driller's kind of an odd puzzle game where blocks that are of the same colour fuse, and if the combined blocks consist of more than four when they fuse or land after a fall, the whole thing disappears. But instead of falling down on you, the blocks are already stacked and you're just drilling down through them. Clearing blocks isn't ever the goal, at least in story mode, it's just something you deal with when you're digging as far as you can.

The game is kind of confusing to me because a lot of times it seems like the tactic is just to mash the button and keep moving downward. When you have limited air, it depletes by time, so trying to clear blocks when you don't need to find an air capsule would just be a waste. The risk is that maybe you'd split one of the blocks above you away from its footing so it drops on your head, but that usually seems to be manageable. It's not as addictive as other puzzles games but it's unique enough to be memorable, I think.

At least in the story mode, though, you rarely play the vanilla game. Each stage has gameplay changes which may turn off some of the standard mechanics and which add a different goal or threat. The best is probably the one based on Tower of Druaga, which is kind of an RPG-like mode where the game area is filled with enemies as well as power up items which can be collected and used from your inventory. Your air drains every time you drill in this mode instead of by time, so it encourages you to take it slow and think out your moves.

The game's got a cute, silly style reminiscent of Puyo Puyo or maybe things like WarioWare. It isn't a story-heavy game at all, but what it does have is fun enough. The best part is Taizou Hori, the hero from Dig Dug, being a dad on vacation. He's very enthusiastic about being in this amusement part and is obsessed about the gang getting points despite legitimately having no idea what those points actually do.

RMChoodie

Dec 27, 2021
American in Costa Rica
January
1. Pentiment (XSX) Jan 1 18 hours and 12 minutes 8/10
2. Kentucky Route Zero (XSX) Jan 16 12 Hours and 43 minutes 9/10

February Update
3. HI-FI Rush (XSX) FEB 20 14 HOURS AND 55 MINUTES 9/10

Now Playing
  • Elden Ring Level 58 Death Mage
  • The Witcher 3 Sign build Middle of Act 1
  • Arcade Paradise I play at least an hour of a day what a great game so good im willing to pay The Switch tax to play it at work away from home
  • Yakuza Ishin just finished chapter 1
  • Metroid Prime Remastered finished 1 area
  • Bayonetta (replay) 1 stage left
SOON
PSVR 2

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
a44b6b48ec55708ab8301ef0f5d73d7d.jpg

Game 12: Metroid Prime Remastered (Switch) (12 Hours) (February 21st, 2023)
First time playing Prime and wow, what a masterpiece. The shooting, the world, the enemies, the bosses and everything in between leaves an impeachable video game. So glad to have finally have played this one

Original Post

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

Marvels-Spider-Man-and-Black-Cat-e1540393753672.jpg

Spider-man: The Heist DLC

Ooh boy, this was rough remembering how to play. Either I suck or this was hard. I'm putting my money on skill issue 😅 Story was fun, though! I like Felicia and she was good here. Peter is pretty naive here but I'm fine with that. This was fun. Let's see where the rest goes.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
i strongly recommend this video. i agree with its central points about the ds version versus the nonary game version.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkzebxbXx4M

to me, it was uchikoshi's intention for the player to feel increasingly frustrated like akane would be as she searches for the one path in the future that could save her. that feeling of getting locked down a path just adds to the claustrophobia the characters feel. it's something virtue's last reward can't quite nail down and something zero time dilemma doesn't even bother with.

The flowchart still wasn't fully telling of what you needed to do, thankfully I made the right dialogue choices for the couple of questions/decisions that were needed to be made to be able to get the true ending. Still think it wasn't the best flowchart but it's an older game and to your point, I didn't think of it like that where you needed to dig a little more to get the reward.

Can't wait to try the next 2 games of the series, I know the 3rd one is pretty much panned but I really want to see this for myself. Might be future playthroughs in this 52 game challenge!

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
The flowchart still wasn't fully telling of what you needed to do, thankfully I made the right dialogue choices for the couple of questions/decisions that were needed to be made to be able to get the true ending. Still think it wasn't the best flowchart but it's an older game and to your point, I didn't think of it like that where you needed to dig a little more to get the reward.

Can't wait to try the next 2 games of the series, I know the 3rd one is pretty much panned but I really want to see this for myself. Might be future playthroughs in this 52 game challenge!

999 is one of the few games where i am an annoying purist. normally i shrug off or gloss over story in games, but 999 was specifically made for ds hardware and the way the story reveals itself through that format is really special. the closest example i can think of is undertale. undertale on pc is better than undertale on console because of the assumptions it makes of its pc-playing audience. still a great game elsewhere, but there's a specific format where the game shines brightest.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Just when I thought I was gonna mix things up after a Nintendo fuelled January, the Big N were like "resistance is futile in the wake of our shadow drops"
So here we are, remasters and game boy games then

9. Metroid Prime Remastered ★★★★★

bJi34IO.jpg

I feel like it's taken me a rather potent amount of willpower to avoid revisiting Prime for a decade or so, as each year since Prime 4.jpg teased that this year was the year that some variety of HD remaster would bless us all, eventually they were actually right.
And it's absolutely been worth the wait, Metroid Prime is just kinda timeless I feel, this isn't saying it's without fault (that midgame magmoor backtracking), wasn't bettered by its sequels in ways (the bosses here are kinda ehhh to P2 and P3) and such.
The nuts and bolts of the game however, hold up pretty tremendously even after two decades of game advancements. Prime was always great, and this remaster really solidifies that, perhaps now more than ever its approach to scanning and logging information about the world as a major gameplay component strikes me as something that is more in line with the variety of gameplay experiences seen in the present, and less of the gung-ho shootbang fest that was the first person landscape of 2002 where the idea of first person adventure was often floated around because Prime just couldn't possibly be an FPS.

I highlight this because, really it's one of the secret sauces of Prime for me, the reason I've found myself preferring the 3D entries in the series over the 2D ones. Something about Samus investigating the world, uncovering its history and being able to confirm "yep, that tree there sure is rotting due to the contaminated water" just because. Filling up the logbook, reading up on space pirate experiments, boning up on the local flora and fauna, forget Samus the bounty hunter, Samus the scientist/researcher is what I'm here for.

Of course this is all intertwined with the standard Metroid-antics that are combat, world exploration/backtracking, powering up and some light platforming, how Retro's completely fucked development (of which you can read or hear about from all sorts of places now) managed to turn out a game that so fundamentally nailed the 3D Metroidvania from the jump is still kinda mindblowing.
Retro of the present (strange phrasing!) have visually overhauled the base 2002 game in a manner that threads the needle between respecting the art direction of the original, and just being a straight upgrade, I will fully admit to damn near tearing up when stepping back out onto the damp surface of Tallon overworld, rain running down the visor hud, kenji yamamoto's electronic synth driven music inviting me back to an alien world.

I don't really need to say any more, it's Metroid Prime, it's back, in remastered form and better than ever, please give me Prime 2 with the quickness.

9.5. Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3 – E Reader levels (no rating)

MY WHITE WHALE
Gosh, what a tease these stages were for a kid reading his UK video game magazines, the idea that my Super Mario Advance 4 cart, housed in secret a collection of extra stages, NEW stages (this is a pre- New Super Mario Bros world after all) that drew mechanics and power ups from the other GBA ports.
All I needed was a dodgy and rightfully doomed peripheral that was so doomed it never even made it to Europe, probably for the best really, thus these became my lost levels, the forbidden 2D Mario content.
While this isn't the first time Nintendo have snuck these out, I wasn't about to purchase SMB3 yet again on the WiiU, so now is the first time I've got my grubby mitts on these stages, nearly two decades of hype and…..
yeah, they're okay I guess.

Safe to say that all the appeal these stages had at a base level have been run right over by a conga line of New Super Mario Bros titles and especially the two Mario Maker games. That last pair is particularly notable because in reality, these e-reader outings are kinda like playing some perfectly okay mario maker stages. One could point out that it's neat for them to get a bit experimental at time, but really that just means "here's a stage where getting to the end is easy, but we really want you to collect the five big coins in our mini maze". So lite puzzle Mario is in vogue here which, is never my fave I gotta admit. It's also odd that they bank so much on the big coins as a hook because they ain't worth anything in the grand scheme of things, the even rarer e-coins fill up a very lacklustre gallery room that might as well have a display banner saying "wow, it's f'n nothing!".
Still, Mario 3 is Mario 3, I'm not sure we needed more autoscroller airships in here, or more boom boom encounters (boom boom X2 anyone? Whaddya mean no?) but it's a neat little time capsule of stages from the loooong gap between SMW/SML2 and NSMB.
I'll say this, the use of the triangle block to run up walls is taken to greater heights her than in SMW, the novelty worth visiting for.

10. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap ★★★★ (replay)
RGWNHM4.png

One man hype machine Neiteio basically got me replaying this a lot earlier than I planned, curse his effusive praise.
Now I played me a fair few runs of Minish Cap back in the day, I was even mad enough to complete the figure gallery so clearly I liked it a fair bit. Internet discourse surrounding the game has it often pegged as a perfectly okay Zelda game, so I basically just slotted that into my own memory bank for minish cap.
Upon replaying it now, I'm surprised to say that it in a paradox like sense, it's absolutely that perfectly okay Zelda, while also being y'know, pretty damn good in a way that makes it one of the zippiest and tightest Zelda game of the lot.

I could almost point to Minish Cap as a lean encapsulation of Zelda as a series, its plot and characters are standard fantasy Zelda fare, yet the minish angle (a teeny tiny borrowers like race of chaps that live in your rafters/walls/shoes etc) gives the otherwise stock Zelda adventure formula something to latch onto.
The item selection a lineup of usual suspects plus a few surprises or novel spins on old concepts (love me some gust jar). Design wise, you can see both the inspiration from Wind Waker in the visuals, the general tone and arguably the difficulty level (it's a bit spicier than WW but not by much) and also the signs of the future as the game's very focused overworld and puzzle ethos is very like Skyward Sword that the director here would go onto…well direct.

It's a warm bath of a Zelda game, one that's constantly throwing in bath bombs or more mr bubble (I committed to this metaphor okay?) via its kinstone fusion mechanic that adds a strange personable approach to uncovering secrets, treasure and heart pieces by having Link match gem halves with NPCs, it's all just adding a bit more life to the world.
On top of this Minish Cap makes Link a bit more upgrade-able? A lot of optional extras for those who seek them out such as remote bombs, light arrows, fancier spin attacks, temporary buff charms, faster swimming etc, just a lot of little things that add up to rewarding the player a bit more than the entries that just fall back on heart pieces you don't really need.

It's a small shame (haha) that outside the minish areas that link shrinks down into, this version of Hyrule is fairly cookie cutter for the most part, a late game excursion into the cloud tops aside, you could probably guess the area themes (FOREST, MOUNTAIN, LAKE, SWAMP…) and the overworld in general is pretty compact, building itself around a central hub town somewhat like Majora's Mask now I think about it.
It works well for a portable outing, keeps the pace snappy, and has overworld design that leans moe into making permanent shortcuts instead of the previous capcom Zelda outings that made you visit your menu multiple times to move like three screens across the messy overworld (why yes I do not much care for Oracle of Seasons, have you read my pamphlet?).

It's this somewhat workmanlike approach to being a Zelda game that keeps Minish Cap from the upper echelons of the series, yet among the overheard classic series overworld theme, the recurring NPCs from OoT to WW, there are glimpses of the bolder frsher game in those new items, tiny minish maps and even its cookie cutter as heck villain Vaati who can at least boast never turning into a pig.

If you were ever looking to play a top down Zelda game for the first time, you'd be well served by this one, a GBA title that hasn't really aged a bit, and it almost certainly going to make my planned resuming of a Spirit Tracks replay feel a lot worse.

11. Marsupilami: Hoobadventure
★★★

Marsupilami-Screen05.jpg

Finally back to the PS5, except it's to play Diet Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze of all things.
To say this game was a pleasant surprise would be an understatement, I just kept thinking to myself throughout that there was no reason for this game to be this legit.
Here we have Microbes, French developer/licensed game mercs for hire, tackling the license of some obscure (to me) comic that might be a bit more memorable to my European friends across the channel, but has no real presence I can recall here in Blighty.
And they just looked at what they had and went "okay, what if we did a budget Tropical Freeze for a laugh?" and then proceeded to kinda nail that off brand/great value variant.

Fundamentally this is a solid as heck platformer, you play as one of three leopard looking things that are apparently the titular Marsupilamis, they all play the same and from my uninformed position they appear to be "yellow main character", "orange girl character" and "grey doofy friend character?".
Neat thing about these creatures is that they have long spiralling tails that lend themselves very well to a continuous roll attack and a mid range poke of sorts, said tails also form the core of one of the game's more unique platformiing aspects, the ability to hook onto floating rings from a distance in a kinda auto/homing attack fashion.
When I say this game is diet Tropical Freeze, I mean it, from mid air roll jumping to blazing through stretches of long grass to unearth fruit, yep it's inspiration is clear, right down to the bats on fire fulfilling the same role as the owls on fire from TF, yet compared to Kaze (the DKC snes-like I revisted earlier this year in the thread) it manages to feel that touch more unique, oh and the pounce like animation for the roll jump is tops.

Visually the game looks clean and colourful, music is on point (that whistling map theme is a jam), the gameplay is tight, one could say it simplifies the movement style of retro's take on Kong to be more precise and easily mastered which can be a point in its favour (it certainly has me actually trying speed runs). So far so good, and even the boss stages avoid another Retro Studios DKC critique by just making platforming chase stages instead of actual boss fights, unfortunately it's only a whopping three worlds long....oh

But wait, there's more, a year after release the devs whipped up one new world for free, and it's GREAT, the base game is fun and all but y'know, it's nothing you haven't seen in a platformer before. While the extra world is still more of the usual, it's got a bit more spark, a few more inspired gimmicks, strong theming with DINOSAURS, and you unlock hard mode versions of the stages being ravaged by a volcanic eruption. Basically the DLC feels like it went above and beyond for no reason other than the devs really gave a toot, or noticed they built up a secret audience of platforming die hards.
So that's still a pretty short game with only four worlds, but it left me wanting more so I take that as a good sign.
This is the kinda game where I feel like I'll oversell it, truly the way to my heart is just to rip off my favourite game of the last decade, but those bonus points reminscient of Wayforward in how the devs tackled a liscensed game like absolute champs is always worth shouting about in a business that frequently half arses such outings.
Someone give Microids a blank cheque and let them loose on a platformer

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Main Post

Got a few more updates to add. Probably gonna be the last for this month unless I absolutely blitz through Metroid Prime.

LZs0bFw.png

Shadow of the Ninja (NES) - February 15th
Ended up giving this one a go on a whim. Very short at only about 30 minutes a playthrough so I ended up giving it two run throughs. It's short length is honestly a great thing though, making it really easy to just pick up and play. I essentially stuck with one weapon per playthorugh. The first was the kind of chain whip looking one which is pretty great for getting to grips with the game, high range at all times and able to attack in multiple directions, though it's a bit slow and only has a hitbox at the end. The sword is definitely more difficult to use but way more rewarding and satisfying once you're good at the game, with even better range when upgraded and far faster attacks. This is definitely a game you have to learn though, there's a decent few points where you can just be blindsided by enemies or obstacles you'd have no way of reacting to on your first run. I'm wiling to be forgiving though because the game is clearly meant to be replayed and mastered. The soundtrack is also absolutely fantastic and well worth a listen even if you have no interest in the game. Overall a fun and enjoyable game, and one that's definitely going into my rotation of stuff I can easily pick up and play, but one that'll definitely need some memorisation.

3/5

dLYWRkt.png

Castlevania (NES) - February 21st
Recently finished watching a very lengthy retrospective on the entire Castlevania series and it got me in the mood to play some again. Replaying the original Castlevania is always a treat and this run was no different. It's a very solid game for the most part that has aged pretty gracefully overall. Not much to say here really, the game's great and I enjoyed playing it again. Fuck the fleamen though, never gonna like them.

3/5

6J752Oy.jpg

Sonic Frontiers (Nintendo Switch) - February 22nd (12 Hours)
Finally another kinda long game! I really enjoyed my time with Frontiers back when it released and this replay didn't do anything to diminish that opinion. If anything I like it even more now after this run. Having a much better grip on the game's movement from the beginning made this run far smoother than my first playthrough and really made me appreciate just how great the controls are. Launching Sonic off of ramps or rails and gaining massive speed never gets old. I've definitely come to appreciate the cyberspace stages more now as well. More original level design is a must for the next game and making the physics and controls consistent with the open zones would be a big improvement, but if you can get into the mindset of playing by cyberspace's rules they're really enjoyable palate cleansers from the open exploration. Didn't expect fishing to be as enjoyable as it was, I actually skipped it on my first run but here I thought I'd give it a shot and I ended up vibing with it a lot for what is really just a basic QTE. It can definitely get pretty chunky at times but I'm also pretty impressed with this running on Switch at all, it's definitely not an immaculate port but it's perfectly cromulent if not ideal. Definitely gonna have to pick this up on PC at some point though, really interested in seeing what mods come out. Also the obligatory soundtrack mention, the OST is phenomenal and in a year that had a Xenoblade Chronicles game, this soundtrack was still my overall favourite of last year. Overall I think Frontiers is a great time, it definitely ain't perfect and is pretty rough around the edges but the good stuff here is very good and a sequel could end up really special.

4/5

pete_clarf

Oct 25, 2017
3) Rez Infinite (PS VR 2) - 2/22/2023 - 10/10
Holy hell. I've loved this game since the PS2 days (never got a chance to play it on Dreamcast). This is the first time I've gotten to play it in VR and, my god, I don't think I'll ever be able to play this with a normal controller ever again. This is why I got VR and I didn't even know it until I played it. I don't really have much else to say. I've finished the game but am nowhere near finished playing it! If you got a PS VR2 and didn't get Rez yet, what are you waiting for!?

Wasn't expecting to beat two games tonight!

4) Theatrhythm Final Bar Line (PS4) - 2/23/2023 - 9.5/10
I think this might be the best rhythm game I've ever played with a standard controller (will always be hard to beat Rock Band 2). Still haven't put a TON of time into it (about 10 hours), but got the Gold trophy that says, "Beat the game and watched the ending" so I'm counting it as "finishing" it. Like Rez, I'm going to be playing a lot more of this!

Main Post

Last edited:

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Main post

7. Nier Replicant (PS4) --- 3/5

I finished routes A and B, and I'm not going to go through C onwards right now because I can't stomach going through the same thing AGAIN.
Look, I love the world and I love the story. My heart was aching at the end. But the gameplay gets so boring after a while... Maybe later I will go the rest but right now I'm satisfied. Maybe I will watch the rest at YT, even though I want to play route E

8. Super Mario Land 2 (NSO) - 3/5
This is the weirdest Mario game I've ever played. Some of the most random enemies and themes I've ever seen in the franchise. It's a shame that they don't do this kind of stuff anymore. The game itself is ok, it was probably amazing back when it released, but nowadays, you can play much better Mario games portably.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Main post

7. Nier Replicant (PS4) --- 3/5

I finished routes A and B, and I'm not going to go through C onwards right now because I can't stomach going through the same thing AGAIN.
Look, I love the world and I love the story. My heart was aching at the end. But the gameplay gets so boring after a while... Maybe later I will go the rest but right now I'm satisfied. Maybe I will watch the rest at YT, even though I want to play route E
Dunno if this will influence your decision, but in regards to route C, it is very, VERY different from A and B.

Edit: whoops, mixed up the Nier games. Disregard!

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if this will influence your decision, but in regards to route C, it is very, VERY different from A and B.
I haven't played it since PS3 but, wasn't this one of the cases where it was really similar if anything and just involved grinding out a bunch of weapon drops? (which is why I peaced out after B)
Unless the remake changed things of course

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I haven't played it since PS3 but, wasn't this one of the cases where it was really similar if anything and just involved grinding out a bunch of weapon drops? (which is why I peaced out after B)
Unless the remake changed things of course
I mixed up the games, thought we were talking about Automata. Nevermind!

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I played through all routes in Automata and it was great
This one not so much haha