L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
w500zpc7l.jpg

21. Super Punch Patrol
Good - ★★★☆ (3/4)

I remember Beril being a regular on NeoGAF and being an overall nice, informative guy, so when Beril's involved I want to say nice things. So I might be overly lenient on this one.

In short, I think this is to Streets of Rage and Final Fight what Gunman Clive was to Mega Man. It's a game styled on familiar retro games with a nice sketchy filter that isn't particularly ambitious but has solid gameplay and a short length which makes it ideal for replays. A lot of the stages seem like they're more or less recreations of stages from classic beatemups, like the subway stage from Final Fight which starts in the station, goes through the train, then proceeds through the tunnel on foot. This doesn't really have much in the way of atmosphere, though, with the Streets of Fire urban hellscape element being exchanged from, say, fighting with clowns for no great reason.

The game follows the same balancing wisdom as Gunman Clive where it's reasonably demanding but very learnable, much more akin to what you'd expect from a console game than an arcade game that's trying to take your quarters. I feel that the controls are a little unresponsible, though, which hurts it a fair bit. Specifically grabbing feels unreliable, since it's a little hard to do intentionally and very easy to accidentally break. When I try to play it like Final Fight and throw enemies around to keep them in control, I often expose myself to more damage. The one original addition is a dodge move from double tapping up or down, which kind of feels awkward and tacked on to me for some reason I can't quite pin down. It feels like it takes too long to execute and there are a bunch of attacks in the game that absolutely demand that you use it because they come up so far.

Ultimately, though, the biggest thing preventing me from being too excited about this game is just how little we're hurting for a game that's trying to reproduce Final Fight and Streets of Rage on the Switch. Beyond the newer games like Streets of Rage 4 and Ninja Saviours which are pushing the genre to its heights, we also have easy access to classic games like Night Slashers, Armored Warriors, Sengoku 3 and what have you. I don't feel like there's a convincing reason to return this game instead of the games it's trying to invoke, which is kind of a shame.

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
Main Post

22. Pineapple on pizza (PC - 2023) | Apr/01 - 30min | 6/10
QmaffH7.jpg

♪┏(・o・)┛♪┗ (・o・) ┓♪

It's free!

23. The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog (PC - 2023) | Apr/02 - 3hrs | 8/10
35U5Sqz.png

What could have been another joke (intentional, this time) by Sega with the blue hedgehog for April Fools Day ended up generating a pleasantly well-written investigative visual novel made by people who have an obvious fondness for the franchise.
It's a very simple 2-3 hour game that alternates between investigating the scenarios in search of clues about our hero's murder, and a runner-style minigame when questioning the suspects, where the real challenge lies. Despite the "investigation" being overly guided, the quality (and humor) of the text manages to keep things interesting throughout the story.
The art is also gorgeous, the portraits of all the characters are very good (the detective Tails in particular is criminally adorable). The story manages to let all the characters stand out in their own ways and still have its surprises at the end.
A well-crafted, free-to-play game that got me a few laughs, it's done more than any other April Fool's joke in recent memory.

It's also free!!

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

NEW GAME:

---APRIL---
10. The Murder Of Sonic The Hedgehog (Steam) - 5/5

The best usage of April Fools I've ever seen. Go play it!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Now that Im free from my Yakuza bind I can finally slice through my backlog my efficiently. I've cleared several smaller games off my backlog this weekend, and I should continue to do so as long as MH Rise doesnt completely consume me.

49. Double Dragon II (Arcade version, PS4) - Going into this one, based on reputation from some places I expected to dislike this game (it took me the best part of 40 years to like the original DD after all). After adjusting to the controls... I didnt hate it. I actually really enjoyed it. Sure its just more of the same with a steeper difficulty curve and some of the moves are annoying to pull off now, but I really enjoyed playing through it. The PS4 AA release has precisely one half challenging trophy - and that's hitting the 50K score. As I was playing on easy (what? Its not actually easy!) it took me until the end of level 3 (of 4) to hit that target, so doing the game up to that point without continuing took a few tries. But I managed it, the second boss was the real sticking point, once I had a half decent run there I managed to do it. The final bosses funnily enough arent that bad, its again the bit right before with a couple of Level 2 bosses that took more out of me.
Overall not as good as the first game, but I still really liked it. I'll be giving the Famicom port a try next when I can, Ive heard good things about that one.

Next up:

Neo Turf Masters (this is so damn good)
Monster Hunter Rise
Mass Effect 2 (probing planets...zzz)
Kirby Return to Dreamland (Post game content unlocked)
Rez Infinite (trophies)

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

A thread for people that are trying to play 52 games in a year. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - claim a post and update us on your progress! How do I take part? Claim a 'main post' where you will list all your completions for the year. You can use fancy images...

Mar 19, 2021
  1. PlateUp! (PC) - 8.5/10 - January 11
  2. Pikmin 3 Deluxe (NSW) - 9/10 - January 15
  3. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS5) - 9/10 - January 15
  4. Dead Space Remake (XSX) - 9/10 - January 30
  5. Hi-Fi Rush (XSX) - 10/10 - February 2
  6. Pizza Tower (PC) - 9/10 - February 4
  7. Season: A Letter to the Future (PS5) - 8.5/10 - February 5
  8. Metroid Prime Remastered (NSW) - 10/10 - February 20
  9. Wave Race 64 (NSW) - 8/10 - February 20
  10. Sin & Punishment (NSW) - 8/10 - February 26
  11. StarFox 64 (NSW) - 8/10 - February 26
  12. Tetris Effect: Connected (XSX) - 9/10 - February 27
  13. Journey (PS5) - 9/10 - February 28
  14. Gorogoa (NSW) - 7.5/10 - March 2
  15. Hades (NSW) - 9.5/10 - March 2
  16. Rez Infinite (PS5) - 7/10 - March 2
  17. Huntdown (NSW) - 9/10 - March 7
  18. Super Mario Maker 2 (NSW) - 8.5/10 - March 9
  19. Metroid Fusion (NSW) - 8.5/10 - March 11
  20. Octopath Traveler II (PS5) - 9/10 - March 22
  21. Resident Evil 4 (2023) (PS5) - 10/10 - March 28
  22. Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon (NSW) - 8/10 - March 31
  23. DREDGE (NSW) - 8.5/10 - April 1
  24. Terra Nil (PC) - 8/10 - April 3

By platform:

PS5 - 6
XSX - 3
NSW - 12
PC - 3
Quest 2/PCVR - 0
iOS - 0

2023 releases - 10

Making good progress this year so far mainly due to my Switch backlog of shorter games. The last few years Series X came out as my top platform but it looks like it will be Switch this year followed by PS5, also looking ahead to what's still to come. Game Pass has been dry for me so far which is the main reason.

Tea

Nov 2, 2017
Here goes nothing - several months late, got some serious catching up to do.

Completed Games: 52/52

8bjUuP9.jpg
v5LM0n9.jpg
iDYsNY2.jpg
7rTjeZ6.jpg
VWUXjDt.jpg
n2Z56d8.jpg
Lp2XRk8.jpg
si8k2mh.jpg
L1zmP3P.jpg
NYUZlDD.jpg
n6wvThn.jpg
xje0lTB.jpg
GKRMLIe.jpg
HTmtpmG.jpg
LByDfzC.jpg
AHKISez.jpg
yJiSKAy.jpg
flyUTud.jpg

0b4NRoy.jpg
SZUjLro.jpg
28937oN.jpg
U6G8mKM.jpg
v4q2XXe.jpg
LRfJoeR.jpg

X3VAMlR.jpg
OjO2qGB.jpg
lnpxkAC.jpg
jwnL2xk.jpg
lsRlRNI.jpg
z9iD0w2.jpg
nbndgdq.jpg
AyZySfo.jpg
6jwqJqW.jpg
xb8yLKU.jpg
GhjvlYj.jpg
Ieu4Hnq.jpg
6163kPQ.jpg
AcFYYXO.jpg
ALGI0YZ.jpg
T6Qy049.jpg
v7SNdCQ.jpg
QI1CxvS.jpg
NrE61Lp.jpg
XrHUK2I.jpg
oIFSHki.jpeg
STxb8XT.jpg
KoyZb6o.jpg
Kt8XBrd.jpg
E1lsSsU.jpg
EOpBAok.jpg
OUGiSUK.jpg
r7C5XFc.jpg

#01 - Dark Age of Camelot 23rd January
A blast from the past for me, tried out a new free shard and levelled a few of my favourites to maximum. Had my nostalgia fill and backed off for a while. Real life means no time for an MMO these days.
#02 - Stray 25th February
Enjoyed this one over a few sittings with my good lady. Meowgnificent.
#03 - iRacing 26th February
Technically been playing this for years, but I won another Lotus 79 championship so I'm going to count that as 'Complete'.
#04 - Horizon Zero Dawn 9th March
Not sure the side content really gelled with me and found the stories there uninteresting. The main plotline was enticing enough, if a little predictable. The combat works, but didn't really click for me until I did the Hunter's Lodge quests which opened my eyes to how things should be done. Grabbed the platinum but didn't touch the DLC, may return for that.
#05 - Sackboy: A Big Adventure 15th March
A co-op romp with the better half. Music levels gave Rayman Legends vibes but didn't quite hit the high notes. Strange difficult spike in the last third of the game, especially for my non-gamer co-op partner.
#06 - Pokemon Black 22nd March
Hadn't touched a Pokemon game since my early teens (Gen1) and jumped in here. I don't think the 'catch em all' vibe hits with me, I felt I was more interested in an optimal team and found myself wanting to finish the game as soon as I could. I think this is likely my fault due to real life mood rather than the fault of the game. Will dive into the sequel most likely.
#07 - KeyWe 4th April
Yet another co-op adventure. Some good organised chaos akin to Overcooked but without the stress and yelling at eachother. Finished in three sittings and had our fill - no real desire to dive in and 100% this.
#08 - Pineapple on Pizza 5th April
I actually like Pineapple on Pizza. The game is OK.
#09 - God of War 9th April
Just incredible. Fantastic combat, compelling story, brilliant voice acting. Finishing out the end game to grab the Platinum. Flawless.
#10 - Kirby and the Forgotten Land 10th April
I went into this expecting very little, was mainly utilising it as a co-op romp with my good lady. We both thoroughly enjoyed it, super easy to play and turn your brain off for. The aesthetics are cutesty and charming, music actually better than I anticipated too. The end-game content final boss is a ridiculous difficulty spike though. We're not going to chase 100% but we've enjoyed our time with it.
#11 - Snipperclips 16th April
We struggled with this one. Theres an element of frustration when you can see the solution but the clunky mechanics of cutting the correct shape you desire get in the way, and manipulating said shape can also be a little cumbersome. Enjoyable until the frustration with the controls kicks in.
#12 - Astro Bot Rescue Mission 21st April
This game is an absolute delight and justified me buying a PSVR on a cheap deal from my local independant game store. The good lady did most of it with me pointing out the collectibles, whilst I did the parts she was struggling with. Catchy music, good platforming mechanics, excellent use of VR perspective. Not a lot to dislike here. Probably the most fun I've had in a single player VR game and one of the best platformers I've experienced. Will finish up the challenge levels for the platinum!
#13 - Fez 25th April
Obtuse. I used a walkthrough. Not my type of game but felt I had to see it. Some of those puzzles seem like they would have been great fun to solve collectively at release, but I have zero interest in bashing my head against that kind of thing as I value my time!
#14 - Spyro the Dragon 25th April
Theres something so clean about the Spyro Reignited version of this game. I never finished the PS1 version and it definitely feels like a PS1 game in terms of design, but it controls tightly and theres a satisfying ease to completing out the individual levels. Grabbed the platinum and had a great 6-8 hours doing so. Will definitely finish up the sequels.
#15 - The Force Unleashed 28th April
Definitely feels like a game of the era it was released, feels very rough compared to modern third person action games. Frustrating stunlocking and ridiculous lack of balance on the higher difficulty yet for some reason I persisted and platinumed this. Don't know if I have the stomach for the sequel, which I unfortunately have a copy of.
#16 - Cube Escape Paradox 29th April
This felt like the first portion would have been something I'd have enjoyed in a real-life escape room (though obviously only certain elements will work!) Creepy vibe though, nice to play through something where the puzzles aren't obtuse and I can finish it in a reasonable amount of time. Nice not to have to wrestle controls to solve a puzzle you can see the solution to - I'm looking at you Snipperclips.
#17 - Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! 30th April
Much like the first game in this remastered trilogy, the game has a satisfying ease to the platforming and combat and satisfies my lizard brain achieving 100% completion. Looking forward to the third one.
#18 - Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock 2nd May
Tippy tapping on plastic instruments feels good, even if I did breeze through on Medium. I'm sure I used to be a hard player, but man the muscle memory is gone. Will be playing more plastic instrument titles in the near future when the drums arrive!
#19 - Spyro: Year of the Dragon 8th May
This trilogy has definitely decreased in quality, with the first game definitely the superior title. Spyro 3 definitely suffers from jack of all trades, master of none with a variety of minigames making up the bulk of the padding here. None of the mini games are particularly good, and the side characters are mostly just an annoyance as I wait to return to some good ol' Spyro based platforming. Didn't particularly enjoy this and a shame the trilogy wound up this way.
#20 - Astro's Playroom 9th May
Replayed Astro's Playroom to grab the platinum having done so in the equivalent VR title, and oh boy is this thing charming. Feels like a love letter to the Playstation brand. The little nods to all the different games and products paired with delightful platforming and controls that feel tight and rewarding. I love this little guy and playing through again was just joyous - a game that feels as though it was designed to be fun above all else which is a welcome change from the mid 2000's feature bloat I played just before.
#21 - Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance 31st May
This was my first Fire Emblem game and whilst this is not really a genre that usually grabs me, I found it the perfect cycling supplement. Time flew by as Ike basically soloed the entire game supported by the OP mounted units. The story had some depth, particularly the narrative surrounding racial prejudice and the depth of the main characters. Would thoroughly recommend; I need more games like this to ride on the bike, if only there were more FE games...
#22 - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom 1st June
Lukewarm, at best. In short, this feels like an expansion for Breath of the Wild. The great sky island and the initial nostalgia for being back in this Hyrule was phenomenal. The new powers felt like they would open up the possibilities for the world and introduce a world of possibilities for puzzle design. Whilst this is true, there are only so many times I can use the new mechanics before I take them for granted or see their weaknesses. Further, one new combat mechanic in particular really soured me on things. By the time the final encounter was done, I felt relief it was over rather than disappointment. Not entirely sure where ther 10/10's came from, but the game is beyond polished and performs incredibly well given the hardware. A solid, enjoyable game, but not without its flaws.
#23 - Deathloop 22nd January
Forgot I finished this back in January. I recall not utilising much in the way of the abilities and mostly shot everyone in the face as stealthily as possible. I enjoyed the premise, though the way the premise plays out doesn't quite live up to the marketing hype.
#24 - Doom 3rd June
Having literally never played the original Doom and having seen it on PS+, I dove right in as I wanted something short to play having just finished two huge games. I think I needed to have the nostalgia for this from 1993 in order to enjoy it to it's full potential as I think modern level design makes titles from this era really show their age. Warps and key frustrations aside, combat felt great to me with the shotgun feeling immense and visceral - you can see the conerstone of the FPS genre here and as a result I enjoyed this far more than I probably should have. I can't imagine playing this on the harder difficulties though - it's brutal enough as it is!
#25 - The Secret of Monkey Island 22nd June
Haven't finished this since I was a kid and played this with my family on the Amiga 500 and this absolutely holds up. It helps that I knew what to do of course, I'm imagining that the puzzle design is a little obtuse and absolutely is another case of a 90s game not respecting your time. The humour still resonates with me, I love the art style of the remaster and it's short enough that it doesn't overstay it's welcome. Time for the second one.
#26 - Monkey Island 2: Special Edition 23rd June
Superior to the original in most every way, especially with regard to the remaster on Console. Controls are much more intuitive. Again, puzzles somewhat obtuse and I remember some of the things we butted our heads against when playing this when I was a kid. Particularly the drinking game and winning the spitting contest. The music is fantastic (first game with the iMuse system I believe?) and again the voice acting is top tier. I could play this over and over again and not get tired of the charm and the humour. This might well be my next tattoo.
#27 - Escape Academy 26th June
I quite like a real life escape room, so this was right up my alley. Not too difficult and short enough that it doesn't outstay its welcome. It literally is exactly what it says on the tin and was enjoyable in co-op too! Felt a bit squiffy playing with a controller and the FoV felt odd, but a minor gripe for a short game.
#28 - Norco 30th June
I don't know where to start. I'm not entirely sure what I just played. This is one of those cases where I think everything went straight over my head and I feel like a bit of a numpty for not comprehending the story. Mechanically and aesthetically sound, otherwise not for me. Another short one which is probably for the best as I'm not sure I could have handled much more confusion.
#29 - Spelunky 2 6th July
Wrapped up my last achievements in Spelunky 2 having not touched it in an age. I could vent for hours at how many times I've "almost" had the lucrative achievements, but that's not what we're here for. Derek Yu is a genius - that is all.
#30 - Unpacking 7th July
Dear lord these people have no idea how to pack, no wonder I have to unpack for them. Organise your boxes people. I played the majority of this on my Series X with a controller - don't do that. Tons better on PC with a mouse. I ended up using the "Accessibility Mode" to remove the puzzle element when playing with a controller as it's somewhat infuriating. "Unpacking" the story of the girl whose belongings we're unpacking was an interesting concept that perhaps was a tiny touch too long for my tastes.
#31 - Planet of Lana 7th July
Stunning visuals and score. A fantastic little 2D platformer that I'd never have touched if it wasn't for gamepass. Very much feels like an "Inside-Light" if that makes sense? Much brighter but still has enough of a captivating hook to keep you running to the right, though some of the puzzle elements did feel a little samey.
#32 - Gears of War 23rd July
Chest high wall simulator in dude brown. Uninteresting color pallete combined with uninteresting gameplay with super spongy enemies, even on casual, resulting in unsatisfying gunplay. Characters thoroughly unrelatable and unlikeable and our AI partner in Dom is atrocious. I have a feeling I'd have enjoyed this more in co-op but even so it was a slog even at the 4 or 5 hours it took to finish. I'll probably punish myself and play the rest of them anyway. Tell me the sequels are better!
#33 & 34 - Demon's Souls (2009 & 2020) 27th July
Having originally completed Demon's Souls back in 2014 but missing out on the platinum, I decided it was time to chase it down. This gave me the bright idea of simultaneously playing the 2020 remake to grab that platinum too. It's phenomenal just how faithful the remake is; Bluepoint did a fantastic job and whilst the 2009 original holds up, the 2020 version is a shining example of how to remaster a game.

Combat feels almost identical (bar the occasional framerate issues on the older PS3 hardware) and playing these two simultaneously made for a great comparison. 2009 is the easier platinum to acquire given the use of 'The Archstones' private server as it allows for easy world tendency switching whilst 2020 obviously feels more immersive to play. Probably third in my From Software heirarcy behind Bloodborne and Sekiro, though I haven't played Elden Ring just yet. Playing these two has definitely got me itching to revisit some older Souls titles too.
#35 & 36 - Dark Souls & Dark Souls Remastered 18th August
On the back of Demon's Souls I dove into Dark Souls again having finished this originally around ten years ago. This felt easier than Demon's as the world design and enemy placement felt much more lenient. On the subject of world design, the verticality is fantastic with everything feeling linked. It's nice to look around, see a place in the distance and then realise you've found yourself there hours later through naturally progression. Bosses are a step up from Demon's Souls, though still not overly troublesome with a minor Capra Demon exception. The remaster definitely feels better than the PS3 jank that was the original and the less said about Blight Town the better. I enjoyed playing these two simultaneously so much that I jumped into DS2:SOTFS straight away.
#37 - Fall Guys 24th August
I can see the appeal but the floaty and bouncy mechanics, whilst clearly an intentional design choice triggered me at times. Game probably not for me. Thanks Wozzer.
#38 - Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin 26th August
Inferior to the first game I find. So many bosses and the world design doesn't feel near as good as 1 or 3, also didn't feel art direction was quite as on point. Just felt like a bit of a slog compared to the others - is that just me?
#39 - Dark Souls 3 1st September
This is much more like it. Fantastic boss and world design with incredible aesthetics, particularly Irithyll and the path up to Anor Londo. Good solid Dark Souls feelings all round, and probably the face-meltiest weapon in the series in the Sellsword Twinblades. Romping through this was a joy and I'm happy to have played through on PS4 to nab the platinum.
#40 - Sekiro Shadows Die Twice 14th September
Such a nice change of pace from the Souls game. The flow of combat feels more like a rhythm game at times as you deflect and counter until the satisfying pop of the enemies posture gauge occurs, rewarding you with brutal deathblow animations that never seem to get old. Boss design is fantastic. Guardian Ape is still one of my top gaming moments. I'll say the last couple of areas do feel a bit of a slog, particularly fountainhead palace and the palace nobles, but for the most part the game has good pacing and doesn't outstay it's welcome. It's a tough call between this and Bloodborne for my favourite From Soft title, though I have yet to play Elden Ring. Got a holiday coming up so probably not the best time to dive right into that.
#41 - Little Nightmares 8th October
I found this to be a little nightmare in terms of gameplay, but the aesthetics, atmosphere and setting were good. I can't get over the sometimes clumsy controls and one-hit game overs. Just not for me I guess? Probably my fault for expecting something on a par with Limbo/Inside.
#42 - The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan 14th October
Another game where I'm probably a victim of setting my expectations too high. Expected Until Dawn but couldn't wait until it was over. Will continue through the series and I'm hoping things improve from a scare perspective given it's spooktober.
#43 - The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope 23rd October
A marked improvement over Man of Medan, but the plot wrap up felt a little disappointing. I didn't see it coming (apparently many did?) but the
it was all a dream style ending
is a little wrote and sort of killed the replay value for me. Might go back in to try and platinum, we'll see.
#44 - Signalis 29th October
I do love a game like this. A fantastic little survival horror gem with satisfying combat and an intriguing story that doesn't overstay it's welcome. That said, there is far too much interpretation available for the variety of endings on offer, which doesn't suit a simpleton such as myself who likes things to be all wrapped up neatly. A futher gripe is the aggressive inventory management. I understand the need for limited space for the 'survival' element of gameplay, but let me hold as many progress-centric items as necessary. This totally gave me vibes of my original Resident Evil playthrough back in the late nineties, Thus there will be no surprise as to what I'm playing next.
#45 - Resdient Evil (HD Remaster)1st November
The remaster of the game that made me fall in love with Survival Horror. This still holds up well but I don't think I'll ever love this more than the original. Some of the changes aren't to my tastes (Crimson Heads and the oil mechanic, reshuffling the Mansion layout and routing) but for the most part, this is exactly how a remaster should be treated.
#46 - Resdient Evil 0 (HD Remaster) 3rd November
I recall bouncing off 0 when I had it originally on Gamecube and only finished it through perseverance. Story is kinda nonsensical, enemy design is a little average (Leech monster worst enemy in the franchise!) and the lack of storage crates and that blasted hookshot make things a little frustrating. That said, it's lovely to look at and is probably the prettiest of the fix camera angle RE games, but the original remaster and CVX have it beaten on the gameplay front. A shame that the game sort of peaks on the train and falls off afterwards - it's also crying out for a co-op mode. Not sure I'll return to this again given the highs of the more recent RE games, but it's nice to have finished it off.
#47 - Resdient Evil 2 Remake 11th November
Top tier remake still holds up, who knew? I've played the everloving hell out of this on PC when it originally released, so this was a PS4 replay for the platinum. My main gripe is the similarity of the A & B campaigns which is just about the only thing the original does better. One of my favourites of all time without doubt.
#48 - Resdient Evil 3 Remake 19th November
I think I'm just upset that the original is better. A travesty compared to 2 Remake, but still a fun romp.
#49 - Spider-Man Miles Morales 23rd November
This felt like a great length for a super hero game. Enough to do without feeling like a collectathon, concise story (though perhaps a little underwhelming) and an upgrade to what was a fantastic setting in New York. A good romp that I had a great time grabbing the platinum in. Smashed through NG+ in about three hours where I really felt somewhat overpowered which is kind of appropriate given the protaganist. Will play Spider-Man 2 some time next year me thinks!
#50 - Spider-Man: The City That Never Sleeps DLC 26th November
Probably unwise to go back to the PS4 version of this after Miles Morales on PS5, but here we are. More web slinging with less polish and a less engaging story. I still had fun but not sure I'd have loved this even straight off the back of the original.
#51 - Death Squared 27th November
I despise games like this. Mrs Tea and I put this down when we tried to co-op it earlier in the year. The deaths are utterly punishing and having to repeat intricate cube movements over and over only to make another mistake was a frustrating exercise. I finished this solo with a walkthrough to get the platinum and it felt filthy. Without the death mechanics and some of the overley complex levels, I might have enjoyed this. A shame it has 'Death' in the name.
#52 - Death's Door 9th December
A fantastic game to finish off the 52 with. Great gameplay just on the right side of difficult with classic zelda-like vibes, a brilliant soundtrack and aesthetics and enough to make me dive back in trophy hunt. This got me in the mood to play Tunic, but may have to save that one for next year.

Last edited:

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Finished out this month. Main post is here.

March (14/52)
13. Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty - Xbox Series X - 32 hours, 4 minutes
14. Resident Evil 4 (2023) - Xbox Series X - 18 hours, 18 minutes

March was a pretty slow month, but a lot of that is because of one long game and replaying RE4R.

April (17/54)
15. Storyteller - Switch - 2 hours
16. Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores - PS5 - 6 hours
17. Persona 3 Portable - Xbox Series X - 47 hours, 28 minutes

Last edited:

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
th

12) Atomic Heart(XSX) 2/20-2/21, 2/23-2/24, 2/26, 3/2, 3/4-3/5

I was pretty hyped for this game. XBOX Game Pass Day One, a very interesting visual aesthetic, seemed like tons of weapons and enemy variety in the previews, a soundtrack that features 80s Russian pop with metal(Led by Mick Gordon of Doom 2016/Internal/Killer Instinct fame), so much was going towards this game's favor for me. Despite me not even being a huge First Person Shooter fan, I will still psyched for this game so upon it coming out in FEB 2023, I was all in.

Then the game came out and it left me with a real lukewarm feeling. Don't get me wrong, there's tons to like. In fact much of what I mentioned above ended up staying to form but Atomic Heart was an easy case of an unproven, brand new studio trying to be overambitious despite not knowing there limits. Simply put, Atomic Heart suffers from such a lack of polish in many aspects that ends up holding back what may have been a damn good gaming experience and gives you such a giant "What could have been".

Where to even begin? The platforming tries so hard to incorporate parkour that it becomes a clunky nightmare upon trying to navigate bar to bar to progress in a high up, elevated area of the game where your character can blatantly miss a landing despite clearly being in position to normally make the jump. The combat suffers from fatigue where the game falls under the booby trap of 'Underpowered at first only to get stronger if you explore and dedicate yourself in the world' which normally is fine by me. Put more effort into the game=get more out of the game. Except this is meant to be a first person shooter that still has linearity, enough of it that you can't venture too far off of the main missions of progression. We're talking running into bosses with limited weapons that barely do any damage and ends up becoming a game of "Circle around the enemy in a game of hot footstepping". We're talking fighting the same couple of enemies(Probably the lone thing that didn't come to be from my expectation of this game upon finally playing Atomic Heart) with the same various means. Yes the game does give you a ton of ways to combat enemies. You can shock enemies, you can freeze them, you can use telekinesis, melee them or shoot them but they are such bullet sponges where the excitement of rinse & repeating the methods towards killing them get old real quick. The game tries to be Doom 2016 in elements of being a fast & frenzy arcade-ish shooter where you need to be on the move and have quick reflexes to succeed but the issue being enemies take so much damn damage, especially early in the game that you end up feeling better about just avoiding combat until you cannot.

There's a certain enemy that is one of the worst cases of being a bullet(Or should I say melee) sponge where I don't understand Atomic Heart's studio, Mundfish's obsession in throwing this boss at you numerous times. An enemy that is immune to firepower or much of your abilities where the game literarly ends up becoming "run around the enemy while hitting them with your melee weapon while you heal", add in some quick time events that if you fail once becomes a game over and yeah, this specific enemy had me yell outloud "NOT AGAIN!" at my TV upon it appearing because it was a waste of 5-7 minutes of the same, repeated way of hot to beat it. By the final time, I gave up and just ran past it and ran to the nearest save point where it was still following me until I reached the destination/building....not because I was afraid to face it but because it was such a dullfest fighting it the same way over and over again. That's really the name of the game with Atomic Heart, lost somewhere is a way to use your side abilities along with the weapons you have. However, between how many enemies are put at you and the very obnoxious game design choice where robots can be brought back to life by infinitely respawning recovery bots made it not worth your while to explore the open world and fight.

Some of the good that is had with this game is it's a beautiful looking game. Yes there were glitches that made me restart the game including getting stuck in a spot in between a platform & vehicle where I could not crouch or jump or get out of the way and again the parkour design left so much to be desired but the game is a visual looker, especially when playing this on a Series X. The game had me laughing a little with it's over the top humor(Lot of sexual innuendos and jokes, take that as you will) even if it got old sort of fast. Again, on paper the bosses should have been so much better but depending on if you went above & beyond with exploring every nook & cranny of the open world, you might see the boss fights as a thrillride. The game gives you so much optimization where you can test out different combinations and each enemy/boss has weak points so they can be downed in different methods. The music when it shines, it really shines.

The blemishes for me is lack of polish, such an uneven story with characters coming and going of significance, and an open world that goes out of it's way to be tedious. Even driving in the open world becomes frustrating as cars catch fire & explode faster than the Grand Theft Auto series. I feel the game sort of is uneven as well with the pacing as far as levels go with the 1st level before it becomes open world sort of overstaying it's welcome. Puzzles can run a bit much where they really had a fancy over color puzzles or needing to hit buttons correctly during a timer or an electrical puzzle that you have to make the fuse reach all parts to progress but they are fun at first before it gets to be a bit much. I think the main protagonist is better than what he's given credit for but man this game does suffer from "Side Note diarrhea" where the game puts so much lore and so much wordy dialogue behind files and the game expects you to read up on it to fully get the plot. It isn't the first game to do this but Atomic Heart definitely is up there for a recent game that takes it up a notch with how much is put on these files.

Overall: 7/10. What is frustrating with a game like Atomic Heart is with enough time and learning from the 1st games mistakes, I know the sequel or followup to this game could be damn good because it's simple stuff that can be cleaned up but because of those issues, it's really tough to say this game is an easy recommend. It's such a fascinating game where it tries to do too much when it clearly is unable to but you can't help but appreciate how hard it tries to swing a home run. It's one of those 7/10 type of games for me, can't say my time was wasted. Not in the least bit....but I simply wanted my high expectations to be met.

11537_1704_dc1b911faf4f4bad0eb7010d710eed2a-m.jpg

13) Hope Left Me(PC) 3/11

Not too much to say on this one, this is a short 30 or so minute visual novel that isn't graphically wowing nor has too deep of a story. I mainly bought it since it was a mere 2 dollars and because I really enjoy the music of the person who made a soundtrack based off this game/concept, Astrophysics. There are very few takeaways from the game itself, but I did get all achievements in which all but one are tied to you completing all of the endings the game has to offer which go based off of dialogue choice. One of the biggest takeaways is this VHS filter mode that Hope Left Me has which is kind of neat and is something Astrophysics does in their Youtube videos/music. They are best known for tons of anime synthwave combos or having some Hatsune Miku(Have not played much of that series!) chiptune sort of music, stuff I would normally not give a second look to but it just works...

The music may actually be the best part and I would actually recommend playing the game in the other OST mode over the visual novel mode that the game offers to you at the beginning of the game. Both play the same story, dialogue choices etc. but the music is just far better on the OST part IMO. It's a good soundtrack and even one I went out of the way to listen to after finishing this game. Also thought it was kinda cool to have an achievement that is based off of the name of your character which triggers if you enter certain keywords from games like Omori(Which this game has a similar art design choice to) or Undertale.

Overall NA. Won't grade this one because it's such a short game/visual novel. I wasn't even considering counting this on the 52 game challenge but given what I have ahead of me, I will take this brownie point. It's a basic standard 30 minute story with some very solid music behind it, and if you at all like 80's Synthwave or Industrial Goth sort of music, you will like the soundtrack IMO. The price of entry is more than fair and it was again me more so giving a little back to the tons of good music I got from Astrophysics on Youtube more than anything.

header.jpg

14) Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo(Switch) 3/9, 3/11-3/15, 3/18-3/19

What a pleasant surprise this game turned out to be! When this game was first announced, I was hoping to get something similar to the mold of visual novel that I played last year in Spirit Hunter: Death Mark and at least in the beginning, I feel I got that sort of experience. I do agree with the majority that the game has a very spooky beginning that sort of drags it's own feet midway through with too much lore & in-game universe discussion with loads of emphasis on the countless notes inside the game. By the end, I didn't actually mind the game as it sort of becomes a mystery story where the game ties all the loose ends all at once and sort of brings closure to the various characters in this universe.

I get people really hoping for a continuous dark theme of horror throughout the visual novel but I don't necessarily mind the heavy emphasis on the murder mystery elements and the curveballs that Paranormasight was attempting to throw throughout the 10+ hour story, especially towards the end. My major gripe was the middle portion really dragged on and got a bit too technical with all of the Japanese mythology lore and more so tons & tons of case files/lore dump. It gets to be a bit too much in fact that there was a point that outside of character bios that are routinely updated with events in-game, I tended to just skip the Japanese lore parts because it was just too much detail for what seemed so minimalistic in effect for the story of Paranormasight.

The story without giving away too much is there are rare artifacts that are scattered all around the setting of this game, that each character ends up stumbling upon through various means. These aren't just any mere artifact though, each is possessed with a curse that if specific requirements are met, can end up killing whomever is in the way of the artifact holder. The concept of reviving comes into play where if ____ people are killed, if the artifact is met at 100% completion, the artifact holder may revive whomever from the dead...which offers an interesting morale conflict of 1 life vs many with each character having a different stance towards that said concept.

What this game does really well is the execution of this concept. Paranormasight gives you a buildup of each character and as to their desire towards wanting to revive someone, each with a different morale & reasoning behind what they will do. The interactions amongst each characters who all have different motives adds to the story once the characters start to meet with one another upon the flowchart. You need to send a fax to be saved and that fax that initially does not happen upon your 1st play of a portion of the game, as you suspend the game, you suddenly get the now sent fax to go and save someone from potential peril. Little things like that sequence really help web together the flowchart and link the characters to one another that one action from a character's arc leads to something else happening to someone else's.

Another side perk that this game offers is the couple of moments that the game requires you to interact with menus in order to progress the story. Without spoiling, one in particular requires you to mute the sound entirely to avoid getting killed by a curse. Another requires you to save as a way to recollect a memory which you need to progress. Another has you take off a certain item to avoid dying, which can only happen after an initial trial and error. Of the visual novels that I have played, Paranormasight really sticks out as one that happens to break 4th wall with instances such as this. The game is told and set through a narrator as he speaks to you here & there to let you know where you went wrong upon a death with subtle hints.

Outside of the inconsistent pacing of the game which again for me dragged on a little bit by the middle of the game, I found that some characters were far more prominent than others. One character in particular is one you heard about and see mentioned but don't ever interact with them at any point in the game despite being considered a semi-important figure in the game's world. The major twist of a character's reveal also sort of falls flat because there was little to no interaction for the longest time. The fully fleshed out characters were done proper but the ones that weren't just felt like side characters at best and I felt there was more potential to make them maybe more relevant to the player.

The artwork of the game is very pretty even if some of the art design's choices of characters having closeups during dialogue(Think As Dusk Falls sort of as the closest thing in gaming to this) were a little bit much for me. The music fit the themes of the game and 1-2 tracks were pretty catchy too so that is a plus. There's no voice acting which is fine considering the budget and the accessibility features are always good such as save anytime or increasing the subtitle size. Stuff you'd expect from a 2023 visual novel but still appreciated nevertheless.

Overall: 8.75/10. Had a blast with Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo and it was such an unexpected horror/mystery thriller that despite some of the inconsistencies like pacing & certain characters getting more shine than others, it is most definitely a good recommendation for anyone looking for a good visual novel that has horror & mystery elements. There's a ton of lore dumps and they rear their ugly head at the worst times but they are skippable and you don't need to fully divulge yourself to get the grand scheme of the story. Had a good time with this one.

wo-long-fallen-dynasty-file-915814be2.jpeg

15) Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty(XSX) 2/26, 3/3-3/6, 3/7-3/13, 3/18-3/19

Amazing how things work. I came away so unimpressed in the game's 1st beta. I didn't get what the game was going for at all. Didn't think the parry system was very user friendly, felt the game really hammered it on home that you needed to use it almost like a crutch and I felt the game was almost too much like NiOh in a sense. It was going to be a pure skip, despite it being free Day 1 on XBOX Game Pass. I didn't even finish the beta's final boss(Which became the game's 1st boss), that's how turned off I felt after playing this game!

Then the 2nd beta came out............and the game changed. Felt like the game was more friendly with the parry system from a window standpoint of how lenient the game was to get it. Also, loved the fact that you got to play the 1st couple of missions and that save progression happened among it so it didn't feel like a total waste of time. This one did a full 180 degree turn and got me right back into the thick of things of being Day 1 on Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty.......

And I am so glad I did because as of today(Before Resident Evil 4 Remake granted), this is my GOTY and a very solid 9/10. Can't believe it myself but really.......anything of that Team Ninja/NiOh engine is always going to win me over. The combat is fluid enough where it isn't some Dark Souls total knockoff, the amounts of customization you can do gives you full control of everything in the game and while the level design isn't always top notch admittedly, there's so many missions, both side and main you can do where you can realistically never get too overwhelmed at a level if you are playing things accordingly. I liked NiOh 1 alot and felt even NiOh 2 stepped the bar up. I'd rank Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty right on par with NiOh 1 and while I don't think the game progresses as good as NiOh 2 ended up doing, it's still a heck of a 1st stab of this series.

So what does Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty do different then the two aforementioned games? Well first off, this is going under Chinese history and mythology versus the Japanese culture that both NiOh games was going for which is a nice breath of fresh air. Talking not just story but the bosses, the aesthetic, the music, so much of this game feels like a love letter to Chinese folklore. I can even say it, despite not being a big Dynasty Warrior fans, if you at all like this long standing series, you are going to remember so many of the names. I only played Dynasty Warriors 3 and even marked out a little after seeing Lu Bu and knowing the eventual encounter was going to be a pure war!

What this game does so well is it takes what the NiOh did always well and not really touch much of it outside of a couple of elements. You can play as a magic user, you can make a build that's pure combat melee(that's me!), do whatever the heck you want. The combat still uses the parry system as a pure crutch but I felt this was a more satisfying mechanic than what From Software's Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice provided, although with Sekiro, I didn't really use the parry much up until end game where you basically had no choice but to. Again, the window is very generous with this and the overall feel and damage you get when you perfectly connect one is satisfaction guaranteed. This game is setup nicely where unlike in NiOh 1 and 2, you have to back off and bait for the red unblockable attacks that despite how much damage they do, it is a pure feast/famine mechanic where the payoff is too good if you land a perfect parry. Bosses like Lu Bu became not a war of nutrition but more so needing to hit your parries to perfection to pick your spots and it was pretty good in that regard. It's a culture shift for tons of aggressive players, myself included....but once you get it, Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty gets pretty damn good. One thing that blew my mind was that you don't die instantly from falling in a level, you are respawned with 1 HP sure and can be cheapshotted as you come back from your respawn but to not die instantly after plunging to the waters or off a high cliff was something I am not used to out of these types of games!

I felt the game had the right difficulty amount, it wasn't a breeze in the least bit but nowhere did I say in this game that there was a truly unfair segment. There are very few instances where Team Ninja missed the mark and threw multiple NPCs at you as some sort of challenge(The funny part is the enemies brag about honor, what the heck is honorable about a 2vs1 or 3v1 bout! LOL) although they actually did nerf the aggressive AI of that specific mission "The Tigers Loyal Subject" and after seeing the new patch of this specific mission myself, this feels like General Radahn of Elden Ring 2.0 where the fight was insanely annoying and is now a joke of a fight, so the patch made it almost too easy to deal with. I took it on immediately and it was right there with Lu Bu as the most difficult fight of the game but it felt good to just get that one out of the way. In fact outside of the post game missions, I finished every submission and main mission so I got a good 25+ hours worth of Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty. One of the things that makes the game also easier is with a few exceptions, you are given 1 or sometimes even 2 NPCs to join you in battle which makes thing so much easier. Yeah the AI of these companion NPCs aren't great but they can at the very least relieve you from aggressive enemies/bosses while you can heal or regain your composure. As someone who rarely if at all summons or uses NPCs, it felt sort of good to have people with you rather than having to do everything solo every single time. With NiOh, that was all the time, but with Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, I felt it was part of the gameplay & game design to want to have these companions with you whenever, even if the game gets a bit easier with them. Team Ninja does a solid job by having you solo the biggest, most epic fights but for the other stuff, you are given a companion to tag along with and work together to fight the ____ enemies all at once.

The game is not all glowingly positive as again Team Ninja falls into a trap of not having enough enemy variation nor are any of the stages truly memorable which has always been their biggest issue, even going back to the NiOh games. By around 10 hours, you've seen all of the enemies this game can throw at you where you know all the tricks of each enemy by the end of Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty. What is equally pretty bad is there's a carbon copy enemy ripped straight from NiOh 1, moveset and appearance and all, only this time Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty has a version of this enemy that is a jumbo version even if it does the same exact moveset outside of one parryable attack. The level design feels very linear, almost too much in a way where there isn't much room left to explore and where the game feels very "same-sy" with the levels outside of the scenery. The main hub of this game feels too much and it became a hassle to get to find a NPC or having to navigate through the area to get to someone to give them an item.

Oh and the inventory system, still Team Ninja does not do a good job of. Why in a game full of fantasy & make belief that we have to have a set amount of items you can carry at a time? 500 items you can carry which sounds like a lot at first...........but it fills up fast. By midgame, I was told you cannot carry anymore items, so I had to either discard items on the fly or take 15 or so minutes each time my inventory was getting crammed and have to sell off items in typical NiOh fashion of least strongest weapon till I had enough wiggle room to pick up future items in runs on levels. At least with NiOh you can move them to a storage box but in Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, there isn't such a thing that exists(Unless I missed it) so you will be subjected to have to sell off or decompose items(Break down items for material to be used on your current gear to better it) items for the sake of getting more inventory availability. I wish Team Ninja would just have infinite storage room for the armor and headgear and weapons you pick up, just try it once on your games, pretty please. It really ruins the flow of the game, and it has been this way since NiOh 1.

Another blemish that goes against this game is the performance of the game. I have heard tons of horror stories about the PC port of this game but playing this on the XBOX Series X, there was tons of stuttering and frame drops whenever there were special effects which in a Soulsboune game, is really frustrating to say the least. I can overlook this in tons of cases but not in a series that is heavy on you hitting the right inputs(Rolls, attacks) and where a game like this rewards and/or punishes you for your inputs. There is also instances where I thought the game glitched as the screen stopped, though the game comes back to life within a couple of seconds. Likewise, of all the current gen games that I have played, Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty by far has the longest load times of any game I have played thus far. It's not pre patch Bloodborne bad but it's still pretty bad each time you boot the game to wait almost a minute for the game to come up(Which I know is blasphemy to say given so many older games take this long to load), not when you've been spoiled with split second loading times in games today.

Overall: 9/10. Make no mistake about it, this is still a heck of a game all things considered. Yes it's very much another NiOh with a few new tricks.....but sometimes more of the same thing isn't the worst thing ever. I said it when I played Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart 2 years ago, I know what I want when I play a game from the same series/makers. I came in wanting another NiOh game, and for the most part, I got it and I am pretty happy to get another 25+ hour game. So glad I got past my trepidation and ended up playing this game because as it stands right now, it's my favorite game that has come out thus far in 2023.

20fdab67-a163-4be6-bf39-585e116c690a.png

16) Jumping Flash(PS5) 3/25

So while I waited for RE4 Remake to come in the mail this past Saturday, I ended up playing something on the PS5 in the meanwhile, a PS1 retro game called Jumping Flash which was a launch title for the system(And one I owned but due to being like 7 years old, had not a clue what I was doing in the game). This was made possible via the PS Plus Collection that dropped a little under a year ago so given how little use I got of this subscription, it made sense to play a quick enough game before my long awaited game came.

And yeah when I say quick enough, we're talking maybe the game running you 2 1/2 hours. It's amazing that this was considered one of Sony's "system sellers" when their then brand new attempt at tackling on the video game landscape dropped in the form of the Playstation 1 because man this game was a quick and admittedly, average experience.

The graphics are PS1 style so you either like it/grew up with it or you didn't. The game is certainly colorful and full of zaniness & wackiness by design and the game's different levels show it, which is the biggest takeaway from something like Jumping Flash. Yeah the game isn't really deep gameplay wise nor are the levels long, especially if you know what you're doing but they are just so wacky that it's very reminiscent of gaming in the 90's. Think NIGHTS: Into Dreams sort of wacky. Jumping Flash is one of those games that would never be thought of nor will it ever come out in present day and despite me not loving the game, I do appreciate Sony Japan and their ambition to do something unique, which of course is ancient history to modern day Sony.

The story I admittedly didn't really pay much attention to, it has the typical cheesy voice acting and 1990's choppy cutscenes that one would expect out of a game from this time. The gameplay on the other hand is a game where you control the protagonist named Ribbit who is some sort of robotic frog and you are basically moving via hopping all around while trying to collect carrots in order to progress and move onto the next level. Yeah it's about as zany as how I described it lol. You run into enemies that inhabit these areas and you are able to shoot these enemies or use powerups that range from roman candles to firecrackers to do further damage(Best to save these for the boss fights that are the final act of each world, 6 altogether).

I think the major issue I have with Jumping Flash as a whole isn't the graphics nor is it the simplicity(Which can sometimes actually be a very good thing).....it's just it doesn't really offer up much to do with the worlds themselves. Yes there's a bonus stage every now and then and sure there are collectibles but there's no real incentive towards going all around the levels and sightseeing or trying to engage combat with the enemies scattered throughout each level. In addition, the controls of the game are pretty bad. We're talking your character is inching/moving a bit when you are trying to rotate the camera which caused me to fall to my death on a narrow platform when trying to see what to jump to next. To further the lousy controls is how tough it is to make jumps on moving platforms where it's you either succeed or die. Thank goodness for the updated rewind abilities which I shamefully had to use a few times due to these pretty poor controls. I would chalk this up as to this game being so old that it doesn't have the luxury of seeing 3D platformers control well but for a game that is heavy on making platforms itself, this is the one gaming nuance that could & should have been better.

Overall: 6.75/10. If you can look past the tons of outdated gameplay issues and typical early/launch PS1 feel of the game, you can have a nice evening with Jumping Flash altogether. It's a short experience, again the art & design of the game is zany & original and it isn't an overly hard game to get or play. The controls absolutely let the game down when needed most and the worlds despite the colorful art & whimsical themes about them, feel sort of dry from an objective standpoint where you are simply better off just getting the carrots/items to progress and move on. It's a solid attempt from Sony back in the mid 90's upon trying to bring something new to the table of gaming but 25+ years later, Jumping Flash has been left in the dust by father time itself.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

6. Theatrhythm Final Bar Line
I have to say I'm a little disappointed. The physical version of this game is the same as the regular release and it's missing some really popular tracks. The single player segment is fine, I guess. Gameplay has been adapted to buttons only and it's honestly much harder. There's a bug in basically everyone's game where your input is severely delayed. And there's like 32 tracks for ffxiv and only 7 for type-0. This version really feels half-baked.

That said, it's Theatrhythm so I'm gonna love it regardless. And I'll grumble about it but I absolutely know I will fork over the money for the deluxe expansion.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game 5 - Salt and Sanctuary
Platform - Switch
Time: 21 hours
Rating: 5/5

Replay on Switch this time (flawless port btw, unlike SOME OTHER METROIDVANIAS IN THIS LIST), and it's still absolutely fantastic. The closest we will probably ever get to a 2d Dark Souls, combat feels meaty, game world is huge and full of bosses, it looks gorgeous (still funny to me how people shat on it just because of the funny NPC faces when literally everything else looks so good), and is just overall one of the best in the genre you will play (and one of the hardest too mind you).

header.jpg

Game 6 - Last Epoch (early access)
Platform - PC
Time: 20 hours
Rating: 4/5

Hadn't played this one in a couple of years, but Diablo 4 beta got me hungry for more ARPG action so decided to jump back in to see how it was shaping up now that it's on patch 0.9, and it's still looking like it would be a very good alternative to the big ones loike Diablo and PoE. Looks much better than last time I tried, and the gameplay is still very good, with some of the best skill trees around. I still think only allowing for 5 skills (in a genre that has standarized 6 skills, which in itself is already low in my opinion) is a fundamental flaw in game design, but it is what it is I guess. Played a new character up to level 58 or so, seems like the campaign is still missing the final chapters but what's there is great (and long damn). Looking forward to the final release of this one (which is probably not so soon since it's still missing some core features like some classes masteries).

Main Post

Last edited:

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
the-murder-of-sonic-the-hedgehog-02.jpg

17) The Murder of Sonic The Hedgehog(PC) 3/31

Was planning to hold off a bit on visual novels given I have played quite a few but then this announcement came from SEGA, a day before April Fools day. As someone who grew up on the retro sonic games and sporadically played any of the 3D Sonics, I sort of knew I was going to be a bit overwhelmed with what was marketed as a free love passion project to longtime Sonic fans. However, I came away after my under 2 hour experience with The Murder of Sonic The Hedgehog somewhat shocked at how solid it was.

Now, to get out of the way, it's a 2 hour at best playing experience. Again, the game is free on Steam so there's no qualms to be had so it's an actually solid evening experience that's very digestible. The gameplay wise is an easy to follow visual novel that sort of borrows from the Ace Attorney series where you need to point & click for evidence around a room and present it to the subject at hand that is present in each room. It's very elementary and simple where 'Every item found matters to progress the story' which can be seen as a bad thing but I also like that it's a simple gameplay element as opposed to being something more tedious.

The Murder of Sonic The Hedgehog really shines if you're at all caught up with all of the cast of characters as this game really is a nod to everything Sonic throughout the years. A lot of this must have went over my head but even the simple concept of who murdered Sonic is easy for anyone to figure out. The story is very much like Ace Attorney meets the board game 'Clue' where you interview and ask everyone of their alibi & try and figure out who did it. Unlike the Ace Attorney games where there's a back and forth of dialogue that you have to call 'OBJECTION' on, this game actually does something a little bit different....

This game has a top down screen rolling game that plays similar to Sonic the Hedgehog 2 where you have to meet the required ring total to progress or else you have to restart the minigame again. Along the way are obstacles that range from instant death via falling to spikes to enemies/bombs that appear throughout. Each task is a different sequence so despite the "same-sy' feeling you might get playing these, there is a bit of differentiation where the few times you have to do this minigame, it never feels redundant. I will say though that the biggest miss of this game is just how many of these minigames they throw at you by the very end, where there's a good 6-7 back to back sequences that you must do to see the end of the game that really wore out their welcome by the end. Especially as the screens have so much obstacles that try and thwart your ring collecting, it got to be too much for me. Yes there's difficulty settings that you can adjust to make it easy(Such as invincible mode) but the issue is once you start the final portions of this, there's no saving in between or adjusting the difficulty so you're most certainly going to have either restart a previous save file or tough it out(That's me). It got to be too much and I actually would have preferred if this game was a full fledged visual novel from start to finish rather than throw these minigames but I get it, it's a Sonic game and with Sonic games is platforming and difficulty so you need to scratch that itch for people who are going to play this game.

Overall: 7.25/10. Very solid game and for what is a free game, there's tons to get from The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog despite the relatively short game length and all. Especially for diehard Sonic fans, this will be a love letter to the __th degree that they may end up appreciating more. The game's simplicity from a visual novel standpoint may be hit or miss for some, likewise for the minigame portions but it's a heck of an effort for a small budget, Indie title with an iconic franchise blended in. I can't grade this higher as there isn't any replayability/different paths and it's a relatively short game with a semi-frustrating end game portion that soured the experience a little by the end.

Pineapple-on-pizza.jpg

18) Pineapple on Pizza(PC) 4/3 *All Achievements*

There really isn't much to say about this one. This game is somehow even shorter than one of the games I wrote up last, 'Hope Left Me', clocking me about 20 minutes altogether, with each playthrough taking 10 minutes per. It's absolutely one of those games much like with Doki Doki Literature Club that the less you know going in, the more you will get out of this game.

Pineapple on Pizza reminds me a bit of Bugsnax with the exploration where you are doing nothing but wondering around an island and seeing the islanders and everything on the island moving to the music and having a jolly ol' time. The best thing about this game honestly is how they are throwing achievements at you for wondering around the entire small island. This might be one of those games that if you like feeling good about seeing achievements pop up, you will get more out of Pineapple on Pizza as opposed if you ignore these achievements. I finished my 1st playthrough missing a couple of achievements but I was hellbent on seeing everything this game had that it felt good getting everything down.

I do wish the music was more than just 2 heavily repeated tracks as the music sort of got graining, yes despite the game being so short. The twist is also nothing wowing but I didn't really see it coming....if you can even call it a twist.

Overall: NA. Another one I can't really grade because it's just such a short game, it almost feels like a demo. There's nothing to do in this game but explore around but the discovery again of the different inhabitants of the small island and achievements coaligned with them was the best part. It's such a short game that it's defintely worth the experience, especially since it's free! Why not right?

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
(Main post)

March update:

I got my Steam Deck late Feb, and it + a decent Steam backlog of short to medium games is like a cheat code for this challenge huh? Kind of amazed I stayed on target despite sinking at least 40 hours into RDR2.

10. Hyper Light Drifter (Steam Deck)
I don't really have any strong feelings about this game. The wordless storytelling is a cool thing to try, but I don't think it quite pulled it off compared to say Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye or Journey. Gameplay wise it's fine, but it doesn't really bring anything that unique to the table when put alongside other top down swordy games like 2D Zelda or Hades. The aesthetic is nice but it isn't enough to elevate this from an 'OK' for me.

11. Yoku's Island Adventure (Steam Deck)
Really enjoyed this! Coming off the back of HLD the incredibly unique controls and movement really appealed to me. Combining pinball with Metroidvania doesn't immediately sound like something that could work, but it just does, and the visuals, music and general tropical vibes are really nice. Highly recommend to anyone who hasn't picked this up yet, it's available for peanuts in sales nowadays.

12. Tinykin (90% Steam Deck, 10% PC)
I was a bit disappointed with this game at first, I went into it expecting Pikmin and really that is not what it is. Once I got over that and accepted what it actually is (a 3D platformer with slightly collectathony elements and superficially Pikmin like mechanics) I really liked it. The levels are so vertical it feels really unlike most other platformers I've played. The world building is cute, and there are lots of nice references and writing. Would recommend. Just don't expect it to be like Pikmin.

13. Gris (Steam Deck)
No strong feelings about this really. It's a 2D platformer but it's a bit too simple gameplay wise for my taste, even compared to NSMB let alone something like Celeste. The artwork is amazing though, so I'd recommend it to someone who would appreciate that, rather than someone looking for a 2D platformer.

14. Red Dead Redemption II (80% PC, 20% Steam Deck)
Got the second big beast from my backlog cleared this year. This is definitely a game like no other when it comes to presentation, characters, and visuals. When it comes to gameplay though, it just didn't feel like it had enough to justify its length to me. There are over a hundred story missions, and nearly all of them involve doing the same handful of very simple gameplay loops with no new meaningful mechanics outside the first few hours. Aside from the last mission the difficult curve felt like a horizontal line. It's an incredibly memorable experience and I don't regret it, but it felt a little like butter scraped over too much bread, probably a game best played by someone not aiming to actually necessarily complete it.

I also dropped Doom Eternal this month after a couple of hours. The upgrade system in that game is such a mess I can't believe it made it into a finished game. I loved Doom 2016, but why does the story from this one not seem to make any sense coming from it's direct prequel? Pretty disappointed in it. The fights were fun, just too much nonsense outside of them.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
15. Resident Evil 4 (2023) ★★★★

residentevil4_2023032bzivq.png

Trying to pin down my thoughts on the RE4 remake is...tricky.
Capcom have revisted what could be considered their magnum opus and made a game that in its own way is almost as good, but also doesn't leave me with much to say.
It leaves RE4R in a position where it's just so easy to spend my time pointing out where it falls short compared to the OG classic and I think there's gonna be a lot of back and forth on this title over time.
Yeah I'll quickly drop in that the game's penchant for stunlocking and animation priority make it kinda frustrating at times compared to the more arcade like and reliable original, conversely though the extra randomness of enemy hitstun and scrappy nature of combat in this version effectively brings the survival horror back and in its own way that's kind of appreciated.
At points the game is VERY close to the original, in a few places it diverges, sometimes for the better but not always, there's less game this time yet still a heck of a lotta game for a TPS campaign in the modern day, see what I mean when I say figuring out my thoughts on this one is just all over the place?

So let's just say, in a world where I'd never played RE4 original, this would probably be my fave RE game, anyone who hasn't played either I'd feel safer pointing them here first over the original.
I'm just gonna copy/paste this post of mine because my thoughts are still mostly the same as they were when I typed this a week ago

There's absolutely no doubt that this game is the great stuff, but I also am kinda thinking "well, yeah, I'd sure hope so considering the blueprint they're working off"
Capcom are basically copying their A+ exam with a thesaurus on hand to skirt around it being exactly the same, this makes for another top notch action outing, but I just can't really muster the same level of fervour that I'd like to.

It landing in a place so close to the original yet different has it in such an odd spot for me.
REmake feels like a straight upgrade
REmake 2 is different enough for both versions of 2 to feel more distinct when standing side by side
REmake 4 is....like a doppelganger where I can't help but notice the small imperfections as it mirrors its base counterpart so closely.

Effectively I can try to reframe this as giving modern AAA style game design a righteous RE4 classic style boot up the arse (praise be, they let you skip walky talky Comms, and even let Leon multitask loot while choosing to listen), but really it leans more towards RE4 classic with modernisms that ever so slightly take away from what makes RE4 OG a GoaT for me.
Aiming and general movement has to be weightier and slower to start, escorting Ashley is implemented in a manner that feels more frictionless in ways that don't necessarily make her more interesting to work around, a more talky merchant that feels a bit much, NPC puzzle nudges, sidequests, extra emphasis on crafting, random gacha "loot" with minimal percentage changes to stats etc

Let me say right now, all that above? Absolutely not bad things, it's in the eye of the beholder, everything I listed could easily be straight improvements to many (I'm sure Ashley in particular being more durable and less danger prone is fist pump worthy for many, crafting can let you choose your ammo so to speak). Like I could sit here and say "what's the point of inventory Tetris when autosort cuts right through that work?", yet I use it and one of this remakes benefits is how swapping guns and working around inventory is infinitely snappier than the original.
The minecart is perhaps one of the most interesting changes showing different sensibilities in set piece design from 2005 to 2023, and I absolutely love both for their own reasons (original reframes the standard gameplay while remake just goes full Uncharted set piece meets retro studios DKC mine cart)
It's all completely understandable and logical as a modern take, it's very Resi 4 eyeing up naughty dog and going "yeah I'll take a slither of this and that".
So effectively, this is the best modern TPS in regard to pacing, variety and encounter design, perfectly modernized to current trends (unfortunate capcom micro DLC transactions included).
But I'm also a curmudgeonly arse who furrows his brow at some of these 2023-isms, so it's like....a 9 instead of a 10, the horror!

Yep, oh and the mercs updated dropped today and as fun as it was, I'd S ranked it all in 20 minutes with more content seemingly held back for later DLC so it didn't quite factor as a major tipping point.

16. Shovel Knight: King Of Cards (replay) ★★★

With the 3DS e-shop taking its last gasp, Shovel Knight Treasure Trove dropped to something like £3.50 and I just had to triple dip because I've always loved the way the 3DS 3D effect works on 2D platformers.
And now I'm wondering if, missing multiplayer stuff aside (and I find shovel knight showdown to be pretty poor honestly), this might be my fave version of Shovel Knight, the 3D effect POPS and the bottom screen allows for on the fly sub weapon switching.

Since King of Cards was the only campaign I'd only played through the one time, I figured it would be the right choice to jump back into first.
My thoughts on the game pretty much remain the same as they did in the past, there's both a really cool platformer in here, but also the most awkward of the three unique campaigns (plague knight is his own oddity).
King Knight's style of gameplay is a fairly unique approach of using a shoulder bash like dash attack to enter a bounce state, this bounce gives you an extra bit of height and interacts with various stage gimmicks. A lot of the time is spent effectively using air dashes to wall bounce up and about, to counter how easily you could break the level design, certain walls will be visibly different to the standard tilesets to indicate that you WONT get the bounce spin effect.
If this is already sounding a touch odd for a 2D platformer's central movement premise, we've also got quirks like taking damage in mid air allows you to perform an extra dash to try and save yourself from any pit situations, but otherwise your air bashes are limited to the one, unless you BOUNCE on an enemy which resets it and....
Look it's all a bit of an odd learning experience and let me stress that the rules make sense, yet in the heat of level design, enemies all over the place, walls that bounce, walls that don't, sometimes you might just die in anticlimactic fashion, or feel like you should've got a wall bounce but just...don't.

Throw in how certain skills you can unlock can let you charge a vertical dash, or use a flaming sword to kinda double jump, or a sceptre attack that just shoots you horizontally across the screen, there's a fair few ways you can take liberties with these rules and save time. This leads to an odd combo of the game being both freewheeling by being creative with the powers you unlock while also very much "do it exactly like this" otherwise
When it comes down to it, this makes for a surprisingly novel and unique take on an action platformer, especially for a game that at this point had been remixing itself for four or five years and in places can feel overly familiar in audiovisuals, but it does feel like the devs were really at their limit of trying to make more out of the well rung shovel knight base.

Tonally this game tickles me a lot, King Knight is put simply, a pompous brat/mommas boy with delusions of grandeur, he's no hero, he's an idiot and this is reflected all over the game.
Despite his mannerisms, you slowly build up an airship base of devoted NPCs you find in the overworld (very Mario Galaxy 2 faceship) and I get to enjoy some of my favourite interactions that come from the bond slowly growing between the King you usurp and King Knight's mother, that just has King Knight in a constant state of horror. There's also this whole card game gimmick built into the story and is a fully fleshed out minigame, unfortunately it's no Gwent or Triple Triad, in fact I'd go as far as to say I genuinely dislike the card game which takes more the form of a tile shifting back and forth involving a self built deck and an AI that seems engineered to kick my butt, nope, still don't like it and that's a bummer that has me lose out on a lot of the campaigns side content.

When on point King of cards is a pirouetting good time of flowing gameplay, it's just that it can run into a spin breaking wall and is prone to more moments of spotty design (the final boss in particular is just kind of a mess, a classic case of your health bar doesn't matter because it's the pits that will claim you).

Last edited:

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

[6/52 completed]

Destiny 2: Lightfall
- Platform: PS5 | Rating: 7.5/10 | Date finished: February 28th

Destiny-2-Lightfall.png

I've been a regular Destiny / Destiny 2 player since the very beginning so I've seen my share of highs and lows with the series. Lightfall was a bit of a rollercoaster. The story is finally hitting a culmination before the conclusion of the Light & Dark saga in The Final Shape and frankly Bungie fumbled the story in Lightfall's campaign. The tone is inconsistent, Nimbus is a clumsily written character who tries to interject humor into every scene despite the dire circumstances at hand, and the campaign also gives and takes away the new subclass Strand so often that it's frustrating rather than exciting when you finally get it for good at the very end. It's a disappointing step back for the series narratively considering how great The Witch Queen's campaign was last year. That being said, the gameplay side of Lightfall is fantastic and I've been playing more than I did in both Beyond Light and Witch Queen because Strand is just so much fun. Grappling around in activities like Spider-Man is something I never thought would work in Destiny, and it not only works flawlessly but is just an absolute blast. Spent many many hours when the new raid Root of Nightmares came out trying to beat it in contest mode within the first 48 hours with my regular group and we managed to do it with 12 hours to spare. Despite the shortcomings that Destiny 2 can have at times, the gameplay itself is the reason I always come back to it. It just always feels so damn good, and playing with friends is a blast. So TLDR, story bad gameplay good and all things considered I still had a good time with the campaign. I just hope they can get the narrative back on track with the Final Shape because there's so much potential there.

Dead Space Remake - Platform: PS5 | Rating: 9.0/10 | Date finished: April 6th

dead-space-featured-image.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.1023w.jpg

I hadn't played the original game since it first came out 15 years ago so while I remembered some parts of the game, most of it was a blur for me. It was really amazing playing through the game again with so much being revamped and fine tuned. They absolutely nailed the feel of the guns and the way Isaac moves around. Plasma Cutter feels just as satisfying as I remember, and other guns like the Force Gun and Line Gun with their incredible alt fires are absolute beasts now. EA Motive did such a wonderful job with the detail and visuals in general. The lighting is stunning and the Ishimura feels even more haunting than it did before. I can't fully remember what Isaac was like in the original, but I really liked him here. I'd give this a higher score but I do feel like it suffers slightly from some sections feeling dated design wise and I wish they had updated some of them a bit more. The final boss arena for example really should've been redesigned entirely. That being said, it's an incredible remake and I really enjoyed playing through it. Hopefully EA realizes how much of an asset Dead Space is for them and greenlights Motive to work on more games for the series.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
26: Bayonetta 3. End: 4/4/2023.

Halfway through the challenge, and I chose Bayonetta 3 to mark the occasion. A game steeped in controversy. But now that discussion has come and gone, what is the game like? I can't speak for everyone else, but I enjoyed it, for the most part. The game has problems, but the final package was something I had no regrets playing.

27: Breath of Fire II. End: 4/7/2023

Did another quick playthrough of BoF II. I do enjoy this game and its stories, its themes, and its gameplay. But, man, its terrible translation truly does it a disservice. (And yes, I am aware there is a fan translation.)

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Main Post

Took a while to get much time for much gaming this month but I've finally finished one. Should have a lot more free time for games from here on though.

KrLlp9C.png

Megaman Powered Up (Playstation Portable) - March 8th
And with this my (not quite so) little detour through the handheld Classic Megaman games comes to an end. I'm sad to say though that it doesn't end on quite as high a note as it could. Powered Up is a game I really want to like more than I do but it just has one big issue that completely detracts from the experience and that is the controls. There's just something 'wrong' feeling about how Megaman feels to control in this game, there's an odd weightiness to a lot of his movements (especially noticeable when using Cutman's weapon or turning around) that isn't there in any other version of Megaman 1. The slight slipperiness to movement in Megaman 1 is also very exaggerated here to the point that it feels like you've got some constant ice physics. Knockback is also a far bigger issue here than in the original, sending you much further which managed to get me killed a decent few times in Iceman and Fireman's stages. I'm not a big fan of not being able to shoot through walls anymore but that's a pretty minor change in the grand scheme of things. The camera also feels a little claustrophobic in 'New Style' mode but levels are designed around it so it isn't much of an issue either.

Aside from that though, and the reason I would love to like the game more, it's a fantastic remake. Megaman Powered Up is a great package and one that is absolutely bursting with content; it's got a completely new remixed version of the game with different level layouts with branching paths, new boss patterns, two completely original robot masters, multiple playable characters, a mission mode, full voice acting, a slightly more fleshed out story, a full level creator with (well not anymore r.i.p.) online level sharing, and even a complete recreation of the original game. All of this makes for a game that is absolutely worthy of the praise it gets but it just isn't one I can enjoy as much as others. For what its worth I did feel like 'Original Mode' felt a little better to play, I'm not sure if that's due to different physics or just the larger field of view (ironically while using less screen space). That comes with the downside of lacking any of the game's new content.

Overall Megaman Powered Up is a good game, and a great remake of Megaman 1, but it isn't one that I personally enjoy over any other version. I can absolutely see the good here and completely understand why people like this game, I just wish I could like it as much.

3/5

*edit*

WYfj0jo.png

Megaman Maverick Hunter X (Playstation Portable) - March 8th
As a bit of a palate cleanser before I take a break from Megaman for a bit I thought it'd be good to rectify the not quite high note I ended on. Unlike Powered Up, MHX is a very straightforward remake, it's Megaman X with a new coat of paint. There's definitely some changes here and there but aside from the Sigma stages and the added Vile mode it's a pretty 1 to 1 remake for the most part. What it lacks in contnet though it makes up for in just being an excellant way to play the game. It doesn't feel exactly like the original on SNES but it still feels absolutely sublime to play in its own way with none of the control issues I felt in Powered Up. The slight alterations that are here make for a different flavour of Megaman X than on SNES, not by much mind but enough to change my exact boss order and item collection. I've said before that Megaman X is one of my favourite games ever and Maverick Hunter X is no different. It's every bit as good as the original game on SNES and as such one of my favourite games of all time. An absolutely fantastic way to play a fantastic game.

5/5

Last edited:

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Main post

I've been playing nothing but the PS VR2 since it launched:

11 - Horizon: Call Of The Mountain - PS VR2 - 7 hours / 3rd March - 8/10
Amazing showpiece for the PS VR2. The graphics and sense of scale as you climb massive mountains is just spectacular. I thought the climbing would get old quick but you unlock a lot of cool traversal mechanics and there are quite a few inventive set pieces. The combat is the weak point in the game, it's not terrible but it's not as fun or exciting as it could be. overall though I really enjoyed it.

12 - The Last Clockwinder - PS VR2 - 4 hours / 7th March - 8/10
Great little puzzle game. Messing about with the clones is really fun. I do wish you'd unlock more tools as you went to do more crazy things with your clones.

13 - Before your eyes - PS VR2 - 2 hours / 11th March - 8/10
Innovative use of blinking and closing your eyes as game mechanics and a thoughtful story that brought tears to my eyes with a one-two gut punch at the end. Shame it's very short and doesn't have much replayability.

14 - Synth Rider - PS VR2 - 40 hours / 27th March - 10/10
Synth Rider has become my new go-to workout video game, it surpasses beat Saber in my opinion by concentrating on pure rhythm without added gimmicks like cutting through blocks. The song list is amazing and the notes brilliantly placed. You really feel like you're part drumming / part dancing to the beat. And then there are the custom experiences created for certain tracks that just take it all to the next level, they need to be experienced to be believed. The only criticism I have is that there isn't any actual single player campaign and the trophy list is pretty uninspired. You just need to make your own fun through the track list.

15 - The Last Worker - PS VR2 - 4 hours / 3rd April - 6/10
You play as the last human worker in an Amazon-like warehouse in a dystopian future where all the other workers have been replaced by robots.
The base mechanics behind the day to day routine is fun, it's basically "Papers please" with package inspections instead of passports, and the cell shaded cartoony graphics are nice and crisp. For a narrative driven game though, it's such a shame that the worst part of the package is the story. It's not only very predictable but it's also not very well told so some of the story beats just don't make sense at all or don't hit the way they should. It's a shame as the voice acting is top notch, the material they have to work with just isn't good enough.
On top of that the second half of the game relies on being able to use fiddly mechanics in bad stealth sections and with time limits. This is the first PS VR2 game that has made me swear out loud and wanting to throw my controllers across the room after failing some of these sections 10 times in a row. It's a shame as there is a lot to like about The Last Worker, it just needed a few more gameplay ideas and a second pass at the story.

16 - The Light Brigade - PS VR2 - 20 hours / 8th April - 10/10
Incredible roguelite with WW2 weapons and amazing atmosphere. My favourite game from the PS VR2 launch lineup. I've played this more than RE8 and GT7 combined. The gameplay loop is really addictive and the 6 different classes all play so differently, it really has that one more go after. Each run doesn't overstay it's welcome as well, taking around an hour to go through 12 randomly generated levels across 6 different biomes with 3 bosses.

17 - Rez Infinite - PS VR2 - 2 hours / 9th April - 10/10
I've loved Rez ever since the Dreamcast and the PS VR2 version is the ultimate version of this game. Between the deep blacks from the OLED screen and using your eyes to target enemies, the game and especially Area X really shines.

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
5kVCLFZ.png

08. About An Elf (2022, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Rather basic point & click adventure with a very light turn-based combat element. Excels in its incredible presentation, comprised of glossy, plasticene, hyperrealist dioramas set to short, dinky drum machine loops. Your unreliable narrator is telling her friend about various (possibly untrue) adventures, while occasionally breaking the 4th wall in a punchy, jokey script. It doesn't seem to have much to say, and your methods of interaction do not meaningfully change over the game either. As a result it felt a little long in the tooth, despite only clocking in around 4 hours. But it presents a very cohesive vision, and stays firmly in its lane - a solid result for a tiny development team.

HhqOCL0.png

09. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (2019/2022, Switch) ★★★★☆
Mecha-themed time-travel game which mixes adventure game storytelling with tactics combat. Well, I say mix, but the modes are fairly rigidly separated. You're given significant freedom in selecting the order in which you experience all the events on its 2 century spanning timeline, and can do the battles whenever you please.
Much of the writing in 13 Sentinels isn't so much plot-heavy, as it is dense exposition and world-building. Scenes are short enough to maintain a break-neck pace while juggling 13 character arcs, and stack cliffhangers atop previous cliffhangers. It's impressive to consider how other players will reach revelations in different orders, yet will still be guided to the same cohesive picture. This comes at the cost of making it a story easily spoiled, since even an understanding of its setting may vary depending which branches you explore first.

It's a reference-heavy script, leaning hard on mainstream sci-fi intertextuality (straight up cribbing a storyline from E.T., for example). This serves a function beyond borrowing themes, though. Some characters from the World War 2 timeline are confronted with the losing battle they're fighting for the Imperial Japanese Army in 1945, only for the game to jump-cut to 1985, and present a Japan steeped in American pop-culture influences.
An aspect I found entirely unnecessary however, was the decision to have the (teenage) pilots control their mechs in the nude. For a script which frequently highlights how violating others' bodily autonomy will cause harm, it doesn't seem to consider how the game's character portraits may be read by its audience. Granted, the imagery is hardly explicit, and the game eventually wheels out a half-baked in-universe explanation, but my initial response was to worry whether this game would go on to sexualise minors in order to court a sketchy audience.

The tactics battles are amusing, but gesture towards much more depth than I actually encountered. In retrospect I should've upped the difficulty, because I sailed through every mission getting undeserved S-Ranks despite blatantly ignoring helpful advice the game was giving me. Luckily they're breezy levels, which mirrors most of the story chapters, too.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
15. Milk Inside a Bag of Milk Inside a Bag of Milk: Horrifying game about a mentally ill girl, her imaginary friend (you) and the world as she sees it while she goes to the store to buy a bag of milk, because milk comes in bags in certain places in the world. Visually striking, pretty worth the time it takes to go through it.
16. Milk Outside a Bag of Milk Outside a Bag of Milk: The sequel; unfortunately I think the MC design kinda takes away from the horror in the first one (she's adorable, of course, perhaps too much). It's lighter though some parts of it are really disturbing(the part where she says she doesn't move anything in her room because she memorized it to understand it kinda shook me). Still worth playing.
17. Iron Lung: Strange little horror game where you're stuck in a mall submarine in an alien planet exploring sea of blood after some sort of apocalypse wiped out most of humanity. The quirk is that you don't see outside the sub, instead you gotta navigate through coordinates with the help of a map and take pictures of the outside for research and science. It's about an hour long, I found it really cool, but I found it so much cooler to later find out that the game actually does have the entire sea of blood built and it's not just a technical trick.
18. Road 96: Mile 0: Adorable, lovely, emotional. I loved it. It's certainly not as impressive as the original, but it's so much fun and has such an awesome art direction I still loved it. The only thing I disliked was the character of Kaito, but that might be me being insane and protective of Zoe.

Main Post

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
50. The Ascent (PS5) - If nothing else, this is one of the most technically impressive indie games graphically - it has a cyber punkish aesthethic that looks insanely good for an indie game, but has quite a few frame rate hiccups which sorta hurts it for me. Gameplay wise its a solid twin stick shooter but with lots of gear and upgrades which is cool. Story didnt grab me to be honest, I just skipped it after a while and didnt really lose anything of note. Its addictive, pretty decent length, and a visual treat. Fun stuff!

Next up:

Monster Hunter Rise
Mass Effect 2 (probing planets...I have an upgrade that makes it faster now!)
Kirby Return to Dreamland (Hard mode clear, now moving onto the new playable character mode)
Rez Infinite (trophies)

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

A thread for people that are trying to play 52 games in a year. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - claim a post and update us on your progress! How do I take part? Claim a 'main post' where you will list all your completions for the year. You can use fancy images...
[/QUOTE]

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Main Post
New games for April:

11. Returnal (PS5) - 3.5/5:

I dunno what to say about this game. I enjoyed the gameplay loop, overall. But good God, it's annoying as hell dying 1000 times to some dumb enemy and having to trek all the way back to some areas. I also really couldn't care much about the story here, I hate how the house sequences forced you into a pseudo horror game with slow controls. I might be alone on that thought.

Still, enjoyable. Gonna do the other ending someday.

12. Sonic 1 (Origins, on PS5) - 4/5:
Annual obligatory playthrough.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game 7 - Hi Fi Rush
Platform - Xbox Series X
Time: 12 hours
Rating: 4.5/5

How the hell did this shadowdrop out of nowhere? Absolutely fantastic mix of rhytmn game and devil may cry style character action, gorgeous cel shaded visuals, amazing soundtrack, just an absolute joy to play through. This is a triple A quality title (exclusive no less) with no fanfare, and at a budget price, it's baffling. Speaking of budget, the smaller budget can be felt here and there (especially later in the game, hell they even do a meta joke about it) which made me not go the full 5/5 as I felt it was a bit rushed towards the end, but it's still an absolute must play for pretty much anyone in my opinion.

header.jpg

Game 8 - Hoa
Platform - Switch
Time: 3 hours
Rating: 3/5

Gorgeous 2d puzzle platformer in the same vein of other "combatless" games like Gris or Journey and Abzu, although not as good as any of those, it's still worth to play if you are a fan of the genre. Like I said, it's absolutely gorgeous, and the gameplay is good enough for how short it is (even if the last level gets a little too mind-bendy for it's own good), but at the same time most of the levels are very same-y looking, and it never capitalizes on the abilities you get throughout.

Main Post

Last edited:

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
So, here we go again…
Last year I surprised make it, so let's try again this year…

As last year, my rating is classified as:
bad, average, good, excellent and classic

Games finished until now:

January:
1 Star Wars Jedi fallen order PS5 patch /PS5/ - excellent - replay now playing at 60fps feels so much better then the first playthrough on release with 30fps. Game has much much room for improvement but is still a great game with some cool boss battles and interesting moments.

February:
2 FFVII Integrade /PS5/excellent/ - replay with 60fps and it was really great. Game has awesome combat and charming characters. Some bosses are awesome. It's a game with really great charisma.

3 HiFi Rush /Series X/good/ - good , fun characters, good rhythm combat but That felt a bit repetitive in the end. Some cool boss battles, but in the end I found a bit repetitive due to encounter design and lack of environment variety.

4 Dead Space Remake /Series X/excellent - being honest i didn't liked to much of my first playthrough of the original (played in 2021) but now, the remake with new visuals, 60fps gameplay, it got really atmospheric and much more fun to play.

5 wizard game …

6 Atomic Heart /Series X/good - game has flaws but after getting used with the game and controls, I had really great time with the game.
Great art design, some cool level design in some parts and some fun boss fights. It's a very nice game for a new developer team.

March
7 Woo Long Fallen Dinasty/Series X/good - good game with good combat. Game is very unappealing visually and it doesn't have nothing groundbreaking or surprising but it's a good souls type game.

8 Olli Olli World/PS5/good - game with super awesome and addictive gameplay. Had Great, great fun with this one. Fantastic gameplay.

9 Gotham Knights/Series X/good - Yes, it's very very mediocre. It doesn't have nothing thats really great but visuals, story, and even some gameplay moments had enough things that made me had some fun enough with the game.

April
10 RE4 Remake/Series X/classic - wow to this game… its just fantastic. first time playing RE4 and it's really a fantastic experience. Fantastic level design, incredible boss fights, satisfying and engaging combat, relative good characters and story, fantastic pacing, awesome scenes, great visuals… Fantastic game overall!!

11 Ghostbusters video game remastered/Series X/average - this is just pure nostalgia. first time playing and the game is super ultra mediocre. Combat, level design, bosses is all very mediocre and even being short can still feel repetitive but ghostbusters franchise is awesome and having the main characters there is some good nostalgia fun.

12 FFVII Remake episode intermission/PS5/good - little DLC with almost nothing interesting in regards to story in my opinion. Characters are so so and it explores similar environments then the main game. But the best part of the DLC for me was the combat mechanics in this DLC. They are awesome and very fun to play.

13 Rush a disneypixar adventure/Series X/average - very short game with 15 little stages from classic Pixar movies. It's very mediocre, simplistic and clear designed for kids but since it was very short I play till the end. The only really nice part is the soundtrack that gets stuck in your mind…

14 Uncharted Lost Legacy PS5 patch/PS5/classic - Yes, replay now with the 60fps patch for PS5 And crushing difficulty.What can I say…
I just love Uncharted!! Naughty Dog is awesome! Great combat, fantastic characters, great fun storytelling, amazing set pieces and fantastic scenes.
Game has 2 difficulty spikes that wasn't to fun with the crushing difficulty but apart from this, playing this game at 60fps is incredible fun and addictive. Naughty Dog provides a Amazing experience as always.

Last edited:

Tea

Nov 2, 2017
L1zmP3P.jpg

#09 - God of War 9th April
Just incredible. Fantastic combat, compelling story, brilliant voice acting; actually found the finale genuinely moving. Finishing out the end game to grab the Platinum and am absolutely hyped for the sequel now.

NYUZlDD.jpg

#10 - Kirby and the Forgotten Land 10th April
I went into this expecting very little, was mainly utilising it as a co-op romp with my good lady. We both thoroughly enjoyed it, super easy to play and turn your brain off for. The aesthetics are cutesty and charming, music actually better than I anticipated too. The end-game content final boss is a ridiculous difficulty spike though. We're not going to chase 100% but we've enjoyed our time with it.

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
de3f8e4af3e1c8f2c9daa967f46d400c.jpg

Game 19: Resident Evil 4 Remake (PC) (14 Hours) (April 9th)
Prefacing this by saying I haven't played the original RE4 (Although I really want to now). I LOVE all the recent Resident Evil's and this one is no different. Such a perfect blend of action and horror and absolutely setting the bar for linear action games from here on out. The game looks beautiful, the acting is brilliant (How were people giving Ada's voice actor hate? She's brilliant), tight shooting mechanics and a perfect attention to detail. The game grabs your attention from the start and doesn't let go for 14 hours. From the village, to the boat, to the castle, to the regenerators and all the boss fights, everything is perfect. Absolute masterpiece (Also Ashley was surprisingly not bad outside of two missions that I had trouble with her, enjoyed her presence immensely!)

f65de98f7fd6428bef0f6e14561b27a4.jpg

Game 20: Power Blade (NES) (1 Hour) (April 12th)
YEAAAAAAH, this is action platforming goodness. Levels feel expansive and exciting to explore, platforming challenges are all unique (although not all perfect), there's a great amount of enemy variety and the music is BANGING. This is up there with Castlevania 3, Kick Master and Journey To Silius in terms of the best NES action platformers.

Original Post

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game 9 - Quest Hunter
Platform - Switch
Time: 15 hours
Rating: 3/5

I'll preface that for better or worse, this is clearly a mobile game (at least originally), and you can tell. If you can get past the obvious limitations, it's actually a decent action rpg with lots of content, decent puzzles, lots of loot and skills to unlock, it pretty much tics all the boxes and I enjoyed my time with it. I also played the DLC but the last boss was such a damage sponge that I couldn't be arsed finishing it, so im not gonna list it as I was initially going to.

Main Post

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
51. OlliOlli 2 (Vita) - Love it, the game itself is excellent with amazing addictive gameplay, a great mix of platforming and skateboarding, and one heck of a challenge. But... one problem :( The controls/tricks feel to complex/unresponsive for some of the last pro challenges I have left, because doing some of the manual tricks to boost my combo score just dont work most of the time, it requires too many buttons to activate and I just cant do them well enough in the final stage (its a miracle I managed to hit the 5mil score).
Doubt I'll plat it thanks to the controls issue, its a pity because the rad mode which is unlocked after clearing all level challenges is actually EASIER than the challenges you gotta clear. But I doubt I'll unlock it thanks to the last four challenges that are tripping me up.

Next up:

Monster Hunter Rise
Kirby Return to Dreamland (Hard mode clear, now moving onto the new playable character mode)
Rez Infinite (trophies)

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
28: Metroid Fusion. End: 4/8/2023.

This is a damn fine game. A worthy addition to the Metroid series. And just a lot of fun in and of itself. This game also holds the player's hand so they don't get lost in its world, which is an interesting approach to this kind of game. (Of course you're free to ignore some of that stuff if you know what you're doing, lol.) If you're a big Metroid fan and you haven't played this game yet, please do so. Even though I don't think it's the best of the 2D Metroids (that honor is between Super and Dread), it's still well worth your time and attention.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
<< Previous Post | Main Post | Next Post >>

D6xPydO.png

16. Tunic | Mar 21 2023

There's not really a spoiler-free story summary you can give for this game beyond "you're a cute fox on an exciting adventure!" so I won't bother.

Tunic is really special, and I felt it pulling me in every time I would play it. Between the music and ambient sounds, the mysterious language, and the manual pages you have to decipher to understand the world and your place in it... Tunic feels from the beginning like you're on a real, dangerous adventure in an mysterious place. If you break down what's actually happening moment to moment, it's kinda like any other game (UP TO A POINT, more on that later). But I was engrossed every second. I would play for hours and not realize how late it'd gotten. This feeling continued, even as I grew more and more frustrated with things like the combat, or when I'd feel like something being obtuse and hidden was more an annoyance than an "a-ha!" moment.

Tunic's later game sort of changes the scope of the gameplay in a way that is so remarkable, I wish the rest of the game was more like that. The manual pages are the heart of it, and what I once thought as a hindrance that needlessly gated information for artificial difficulty, became a vehicle for some really interesting puzzle mechanics.

It's not flawless, and I don't know if I love it. But I thought about it for days when I was playing it, and days after I finished. I think on that merit alone, it's worth recommending.

Tunic-Four-scaled.jpeg

KE4nWn4.png

17. Phantom Rose

This is a deck-building roguelike; you move through rooms and face down an enemy. The enemy puts down two cards that you can see, basically telegraphing what they will do that turn. Gameplay is born from having the right cards in your deck to answer those threats. But every time you use a card, it goes on cooldown for a certain number of turns. The more powerful the card, the longer the cooldown.

Do you build a deck with a ton of mid tier power so that you always have something on hand? Or do you chip away at smaller enemies with tiny abilities, and save the hard hitting stuff for the boss? (I did a mixture of both. The strategy is more fun than I thought it would be, but it's not difficult to push through even on higher challenge levels.)

That's really all there is to Phantom Rose. There's some lore buried in there but it's all kind of just set dressing to get you to care about the sexy anime women...which this game is full of. If that's not your thing then it might be hard to ignore, but I liked the art style and didn't mind it so much in the end.

ss_9435c277d691aab5d79018ad4df94e1f83c4e74a.1920x1080.jpg

L5coWG6.png

18. She Vomited Guns

A VERY short VN (like, 15 minutes long) about a troubling society that uses children to manufacture guns. It had some nice, dramatic black and white art, and an intimidating soundtrack/soundscape. Kind of a vibe, I enjoyed it. It's free on itch.io.

(Made by the lead developer of Sukeban Games, the creators of VA-11 HALL-A.)

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game 10 - Imp of the Sun
Platform - Switch
Time: 5 hours
Rating: 2.5/5

Another metroidvania, this one is just ok tho. Great 2d art but the gameplay feels super loose, and it's quite hard early on until you start gettting some upgrades. When it opens up mechanically there's some fun to be had, but it's super short at around 4 to 5 hours, and unless you are into collectibles, there's not even much reason to treat it as a "metroidvania" as you barely do any backtracking. For super fans of the genre only, and only if you find it cheap.

Main Post

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
4. Rive
The game is surprisingly really really fun, and it's a bit embarrassing that the game had been sitting in my library for almost 7 years before I gave it a whirl. I don't really play twin-stick shooter, so I'm not familiar with the genre and its design, but I find the level design and the enemy encounters really well-made. There are surprisingly some explosive set pieces and enemy encounters that often kept me on my toes. The music is also really great, but it's a shame that it isn't available on Spotify.

5. A Memoir Blue

I decided to play it since it's leaving Game Pass last month and people said that the playtime is around 1 hour. Just like other Annapurna games, A Memoir Blue's cinematography and artistic productions are the highlight of the game. The interactivity is a bit limited, but since it focuses on delivering the narrative and the artistic experience, I don't really mind it. It's a bit cliche, but it's a perfect Game Pass game. It's something that you have an interest in and want to experience only once.

6. Life is Strange: True Colors
This is my first Life is Strange game even though I already have the first one, which also has been gathering dust for years. And admittedly, I only played it because it's leaving Game Pass this month. I really like the setting and the characters for the most part. Alex is cool and I'm digging her power. It's fun to learn the hidden story of the people and the town of Haven using her empathy ability. I didn't expect that some background characters have their own personal arcs that developed as I progressed through the game. I also was caught off guard that my choices would have some impacts on Alex's relationship with other characters that would be unveiled later in the game. I thought that it'd be the same "choices" in Telltale's The Walking Dead. I did regret some choices I make, especially choosing Ryan over Steph as a romantic choice since the former decided to abandon Alex because I made some choices that lower his opinion of Alex. Oh well, I will replay it and mend my mistakes when I get the game later down the road.

Griffin

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka
MAIN POST

fIJOZGZ.png

#7 - Guardians of the Galaxy (XB Series) - ★★★★☆

This might be the one big AAA game I play this year, but it was a good one. Guardians is an excellent adaptation of the comic series to a linear, story-driven action RPG (with way more emphasis on the action part). The voice acting and motion-captured performances are outstanding, to the point where I prefer this version of the characters to the MCU ones. The game finds a nice balance between the barrage of funny quips and genuinely emotional exchanges between the characters. It's all very well-written, although it's annoying how lines of dialogue constantly get cut off the moment you're out of earshot.

Though there's not much room for exploration, the psychedelic visuals made it enjoyable to traverse alien worlds. Constantly jumping to different settings feels a bit disjointed, but there's no way this game will ever get a sequel so I can't exactly fault the developers for trying to throw everything in. The enemy encounters are a bit less imaginative, with some repetitive fights that I grew tired of long before the game's conclusion. That said, I did think the combat fits the team well; Star Lord is quite weak when fighting alone, so it's better to use different elemental shots to weaken opponents before sending the other Guardians at them. I appreciated all the accessibility options, which I definitely used to make the cooldowns between skills a bit shorter and get through fights faster.

#8 - Drancia Saga (3DS) - ★★☆☆☆

With the 3DS eShop shutting down, I grabbed a few discounted titles that looked interesting, although most of them ended up being rather unremarkable. Case in point: Drancia Saga. It's one of those pixelated RPG parodies, although without the same sense of humour as something like Half-Minute Hero. Players spend each stage running left to right, trying to bump enemies to death and survive long enough to reach the boss. It's fun to get a good chain going and gain more gold, but I was able to earn enough to unlock everything far before the final boss, so it all felt rather pointless. There are other characters to play through the game with, but I'm not exactly itching to go back.

#9 - Double Dragon Neon (XB360) - ★★★☆☆

Wayforward's radical reinterpretation of the classic beat-em-up is still a good time. Some of the systems are fun to use, like a "glow" that temporarily powers up the characters when they perfectly dodge, while others, like collectable cassette tapes that come with different stats and skills, seem unnecessary. This customisation is an OK idea; even if players fail a stage the first time, their tapes are getting stronger, but since the tapes only drop from certain enemies, the skills I used from the start didn't improve after a certain point. It's not like I really needed to power them up though, since the difficulty level seemed frontloaded. Later levels shower players with lives, while earlier ones are gruelling tests of endurance without many health pick-ups.

While the 3D visuals are rather ugly when compared to more recent pixel-art punch-ups like River City Girls and TMNT: Shredder's Revenge, the soundtrack perfectly captures the 80s vibe. Although I didn't like the tape system much, the varied tunes for each skill and stance definitely got a laugh out of me. Even if you're not a fan of the genre, I'd say this is worth playing for the game's silly sense of humour. Special mention goes to the game's villain, Skullmageddon, who's just Skeletor with a sword and a hilarious song during the credits.

#10 - The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA) - ★★★★☆

A classic Zelda adventure that's obviously shrunk down for a handheld, but one that has some unique twists on the formula. The ability to shrink down and explore makes for some creative puzzles and helps the world feel much larger. Most of the new items like the Gust Jar are fun to use, although they don't all appear that frequently. It's just as well, since constantly dipping into menus to change items is a bit of a hassle (they really couldn't put the shoulder buttons to better use?).

Matching "kinstones" with other characters is fun at first, but constantly using them to uncover treasures scattered around the world feels like a bit of a cop-out. It just doesn't have that same satisfying sense of discovery as actually using your tools and solving puzzles. Minish Cap is a solid Zelda title with some stunning spritework, but I wouldn't hold it up as the series' best.

#11 - A Memoir Blue (XB Series) - ★★★☆☆

A brief exploration of parental love and the suffocating pressure of trying to succeed, which I might have given four stars if I didn't have a low tolerance for ultra-twee acoustic songs.

Apr 9, 2022
It's been a minute since my last update but I'm slowly getting through the backlog. Xenoblade Chronicles is the big time sink right now but I'm just about done with it. Only another 41 to go! I'm screwed

7: Five Dates - Wales Interactive - Steam Deck

yCcVPav.jpg

This came as part of a Humble bundle and I thought it'd be a fun little thing to play on my Steam Deck in short bursts. It's an FMV game about finding love through online dating during the lockdown times of Covid. I don't have too many things to say about it, good or bad, but the characters were charming enough and I was entertained enough to get all of the good endings. Could have done with some kind of chapter select or just an easier way to skip to different points of the game as the skip method does take a little while to get to where you wanna be. I would like to check out the sequel (Ten Dates) but i'll probably wait for a sale or a bundle of some kind.

8: Resident Evil 4 Remake - Capcom - Xbox Series X

3d888043a179cc3414d569db712d8846.png

I'll keep it short and sweet. One of the best games I'll play this year.

9: Biker Mice From Mars - Konami - Super Nintendo

fd116ddd60abcef38b7a4743e678fe40.png

I used play this a bunch as a kid and while it isn't quite as good as I remember it, it's still a good game. It has made me wanna go play some other isometric/top down racers from my past so don't be surprised it Micro Machines makes an appearance on this list down the line.

10: Pineapple On Pizza - Majorariatto - Steam Deck

a51e202d669a03c24eba2768bc0f866f8d01fe73.ico

Much like pineapple on pizza this was incredibly disappointing.

Sorry, had to get a cheeky dig in. The game was actually okay! A huge dance party followed by the death of everyone and everything around you, what's not to like!

11: A Short Hike - adamgryu - Steam Deck

ad146b968de11f1f6cd49a76f3acc6fa.png

Relaxation - the video game. Such a charming World filled with cute characters and little moments that give you those warm and fuzzy feelings. I highly recommend this lovely little thing. You may already own it through Epic's free giveaways or as part of a Humble Choice subscription (it's in the games collection)

Ongoing games

1: L.A. Noire (I will get back to this eventually!)
2: Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
3: Perfect Gold: The Alchemy of Happiness
4: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth + DLC (This one will end up on my completed list in 2025)

Main post

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
51. OlliOlli 2 (Vita) - Update. Im stubborn enough that I tried the PS4 version and used the cross save option and found some of the tricks way easier to perform. So I ended up clearing the challenges, RAD mode and the remaining trophies I needed. So that's a super satisfying plat I finally got!

52. Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe (Switch) - Finally got round and cleared the extra stuff, all round this is one heck of a port/remaster/whatever. I really love the extra post game content added, plus clearing the challenges and getting the various medals were a blast. The game itself is your standard Kirby game - lots of great power ups and some excellent end boss fights that really come into their own at the end where as usual they throw some really badass boss fights at you. The base game is rather easy but the game definitely steps up when playing the "hard" mode, where you take far fewer hits and have remixed enemy placement. Not as good as last years amazing 3D Kirby game, but considering all the content and how well it plays, its super worth it.

Next up:

Monster Hunter Rise
Rez Infinite (trophies)

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

Sillen2000

Oct 1, 2019
Main Post

March update: 13/52

Not the most interesting month tbh. Most of it was spent getting endings A-D in Nier Replicant (I'll mark it as beaten when I stop being extremely burnt out on the game and get Ending E at some point in the future)

iJwQpE6.jpg

11. March 4th | Ratchet: Gladiator | PS3 | 9h | Replay | ½(/5)
The neverending Ratchet & Clank series playthrough continues, and I didn't actually plan to include Gladiator (or Deadlocked for all you non-PAL people) since I don't own it and didn't really feel like paying for what most seemd to think was a pretty bad HD re-release on PS3. Then it happened to release on PS+ and since I have good enough internet to be able to stream PS3 games without issue, I though I might as well include it in my marathon anyway.

This is actually the only Ratchet PS2 game I didn't own growing up, but I did borrow it from a friend so I have beaten it about a million years ago (or, you know, 2005/2006). Remember it being pretty fun and at least a decent multiplayer game, though even then I didn't really enjoy it as much as the previous three games. Playing it now, I can't say I enjoyed it all that much. It's still Ratchet & Clank so the gameplay feels very good and the weapons are fun to use (love the Scorpion Flail), but everything else feels lacking to me. The plot's decent, but the satire falls a bit flat for me (which it honestly always did in previous games as well since it felt a bit too... light, maybe?) so it's mainly just background noise that occassionally shows up throughout the journey.

The level design has taken a step even further beyond 3, going from at least some semblance of an action platformer, to an almost pure arena shooter where you play in the same arena over and over again since planets only have one real stage that you do different missions in. That lack of variety would be one thing if the levels were at least a bit interesting, but they all seem to be designed to just be as boring as possible, from the eternally brown look to most stages, to how they all feel like they're just a bit too big for their own good while also focusing way too much on just running to the correct spot in order to spawn enemies (that have way too much health and deal too much damage (especially since they love attacking from off-screen) on higher difficulties) or having your annoying robot side-kicks turn screws while Ratchet protects them. On that note, mission variety is also a big issue, with most of them being recycled over and over, making it feel ike I've beaten the same mission several times, just with different backdrops. God, what a tedious experience this was, and don't even get me started on the awful vehicular missions!!! Good boss fights, though.

Seems like Gladiator is pretty well-beloved by R&C fans these days, but despite the gameplay still feeling as good as you'd expect, everything surrounding it just makes me too bored to be able to really enjoy it as much as I do the other games. It's fine, really, but maybe just not what I personally want out of the franchise, or maybe any franchise for that matter. Still got every skillpoint, though, so it obviously wasn't the worst game I've played and maybe okay when I just wanted to completely shut off my brain for a couple of hours. Also have to say that, as disliked as the HD remaster is, I don't think there was a single point where it really affected the experience? Sure, cutscenes can be a little jittery, but I didn't notice any issues with slowdown or graphical glitches while playing.

Soundtrack highlight:
Catacrom IV - Valley of Hero

SvpQJNA.jpg

12. March 10th | Ultra Street Fighter IV | PS4 | 7h |

I'm no good at fighting games. I've probably mentioned that on every fighting game I've beaten for these threads, but it really can't be overstated how really not good I am. I mean, I can obviously beat the arcade mode of one if I'm just given enough time and limitless virtual quarters for when I inevitably hit a wall, but put me in an online context and I'll be destroyed by my opponent nine times out of ten.

Despite this, I'm strangely hyped for Street Fighter 6, so I thought I'd play Ultra Street Fighter IV before its release, just to sort of get a bit more used to the language of Street Fighter, if you will. Still didn't play online since I'm pretty sure the only ones active there these days are super pros who've been playing the game since Street Fighter IV released almost 15 years ago. I did, however, give myself the goal to at least be able to beat arcade mode (normal difficulty) without using a single continue.

And I eventually did! Playing as Juri (usually a Ken main, but I love her theme in 6, so had to try her out), I was terrible at the beginning, taking almost 90 minutes just to beat arcade mode my first time, basically knowing two of her special moves and not much else (didn't even know about focus attacks until later.) It felt like I had a mountain to climb at that point, but then I discovered the game's trial mode where I basically got to learn every move possible for any given character, and even a few pretty advanced combos. It wasn't easy and some trials drove me quite mad, but I did eventually get to trial 22 out of 24 where I felt a) "22-24 are going to take me the rest of the year to beat and kill my hands", and b) "I think I'm actually pretty okayish now?" So I returned to arcade mode, did a lot better than before though not without having to use some continues. Tried it once again, had a perfect run until I completely choked against Seth's second form and just lost three rounds in a row without putting in much of a fight. Didn't choke as hard the next time, but still came up short against Seth despite thinking I'd found a way to cheese his AI. Fourth time was the charm, though, and a combination of heavy sweep kicks and focus attacks did the trick well enough on good ol' Seth. What seemed like a mountain quickly turned out to be a hill, and I climbed it a lot quicker than I had expected to. I have no idea if this is seen as a much easier arcade mode than ones in other games, but either way it felt really good to finally have performed on an okay level in a fighting game. And fighting AI is obviously extremely different from fighting real people, but at least it's a start.

Is the game good, you might ask? Definitely, at least from where I'm standing. Maybe it's grossly unbalanced and the controls aren't frame perfect enough for the pros, but there wasn't really anything for an amateur like me to complain about. It felt good to play, looked good and had really good animations for a 2008 game, sounded good with strong sound effects and a memorable soundtrack, so I guess it's a good game! Maybe not on the level of Street Fighter III 3rd Strike, but still a lot more enjoyable than most fighting games I've played over these last few years.

Soundtrack highlight:
Main Menu A

4VeWTEv.jpg

13. March 13th | Resident Evil 4 (2005) | PS4 | 10h | Replay |

It's still Resident Evil 4.

Soundtrack highlight:
Krauser

Currently Playing:
Horizon Forbidden West (+ Burning Shores when it gets released later this week) (PS5)
Pokémon Stadium (Switch)

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
9edK1iA.jpg
20 | Chicory: A Colorful Tale
PS5 | March 12 | 18 h | 5/5

I still think about this game, even though I finished it a month ago. My three main points: how I felt while playing, the gorgeous soundtrack, and the creative gameplay.

Chicory shares heavy feels with the story. The characters discuss how they don't feel good enough and how they can't amount to the pressure put upon them. It's an emotional journey and it's handled very well. During story missions, I would have to try real hard not to cry at certain points. Then take a break and go to art classes to paint in the game (haha, I loved this option). For a game with anthropomorphic characters, they are well written and at heart human.

The soundtrack is beautiful. I am listening to it right now while typing this. It fits perfectly with the discussions and fight sequences. *chef's kiss*

The world of Chicory loses its color and it's up to you to add paint with the artist brush! You can freely color the monochromatic world to cheer up and help the towns folk. There are many different options for color, photo borders, and patterns. It was fun to explore the world. I can see myself replaying Chicory sometime in the future. It's truly a wonderful game.

TEiTBGF.jpg
21 | Unpacking
PS5 | March 12 | 6 h | 4/5

Unpacking is a charming cozy puzzle game. Plus it does have a story. While there's no dialogue or choices, you follow the main character through their life. There are 8 levels and each show a different period in the MC's journey all by unpacking their belongings.

The pixel art style fits with the cute and cozy gameplay. The original soundtrack is nice. I don't remember if there is an option to change the music in the game. Some levels had shorter songs and it was on constant repeat. A couple tracks felt a old quickly.

oNr4eOx.jpg
22 | Fae Tactics
Steam Deck | April 1 | 47.5 h | 4/5

I was not expecting to get nearly 50 hours in one run of Fae Tactics. Another game with beautiful pixel art. We are absolutely blessed in this community. I don't play many tactics games, but Fae has a bright and memorable art style and character/creature designs.

While there are characters you can recruit in the main and side stories, I had fun collecting fae creatures to be my supports. The main story is okay, not super memorable. I did enjoy the side content and world building. There are different locations to explore that have their own leaders and conflicts.

I had fun playing FT. I only did one run, but completed every side content I could find. After reading comments and guides, I see that I missed quite a bit! There's a ton of content in here. I wish there were more options, like saving during a battle. Even if it's a save then quit because the fights can take time. It's easy to miss a great deal of the side content. I wish that wasn't as hidden. It was fun and maybe in the future I can do a NG+.

FhJQaLF.jpg
23 | Caligula Effect: Overdose

PS4 | April 16 | 43 h | 2.5/5

I may be overly critical on Caligula Effect here. I picked it up because it was leaving PS Plus within one week. I had to streamline it AND I wanted the platinum. I knew extremely little of the game. I watched the trailer and it looked silly as hell.

The story and gameplay are mid-level in a JRPG. You're trapped in a simulation with a rag tag group. The story itself isn't necessarily memorable; however I do think it's cool you get to hang out and bond with the bad guys. Not many games let you experience both sides. The battles are turn-based but you can predict your combos. Something fairly new to me so that was welcomed. Battles get repetitive, especially when you're constantly pulled into them.

The story deals with heavy subjects. Suicide, bullying, body shaming, it goes on. It's fine to add those in media and I didn't mind the idea at all. However, CE doesn't hold all of those subjects with care. Some received real conversations. Others had constant jokes to the point where it left a bad taste.

My main criticism is much of the game feels bloated. There are 10 characters in your group and 9 baddies. All characters you can hang out with and bond. It's...a lot. Some get character arcs while others feel like they simply exist. Each baddie gets their own dungeon. Again, it feels like their only purpose is to pad the game. The dungeons get more maze like and bland as the game goes on. A great example to cut out what isn't necessary. More does NOT mean better.

While it wasn't a terrible game, I don't know I'd recommend this to others. There's better JRPGs out there.

Main Post

Last edited:

stn

Oct 28, 2017
7. Star Ocean: Divine Force (PS4) - Took me 25 hrs, solid game but has performance and stability issues. [7/10]

NEXT: The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
19. Destiny 2: Lightfall: I'm a huge Destiny fan, but Lightfall was a miserable failure of a campaign. The atmosphere is irritating, the plot might as well not be there, of the two new characters introduced the one that is most prominent is easily the worst one they have created, and we're stuck with Osiris being a creator's pet all around. The second to last mission might also as well be the worst mission they have ever made. It's frustrating, because Witchqueen is so good, but this one was a miss. It's also very symbolic of its status as filler: it's pretty obvious this wasn't meant to exist but they needed time for Final Shape: the ammount of reused assets, even on the raid, it's downright hillarious. This was also clearly made by a B-team, because there is no way this drivel was written by the same people who had been writting Destiny for years.

Or at least since Curse of Osiris. You know, the expansion that gifted us with the legendary line: "Fight as if your life depends on it. Because it does".

Shut the fuck up Osiris nobody likes you.

20. Amnesia: Rebirt: A fun new Amnesia with a convoluted plot and some intriguing visuals. It's not Soma, and it isn't A Machine for Pigs, it's squarely in the middle in anything but OST which AMFP is just way ahead of the pack. Some puzzles, a lot of exploring. It's more Amnesia, which also made me realize how good these guys are at making Amnesia games.

Original post

Joepizza

Sep 20, 2021
2023 LIST

1. Astalon: Tears of The Earth (PC) - 4/5 -Great 8-bit style Metroidvania, balanced difficulty and recommended for experienced to newcomers as well.
2. God of War: Ragnarok (PS5) - 3/5 - Didn't impact me as much as the first one, a little bit more puzzles than needed and a somewhat rushed ending, but still a incredible game with the best combat in the series so far.
3. Death Stranding (PS5) - 4/5 -Oh boy, what a ride! I never played a action game with so many different mechanics before. Good acting and a convoluted but moving story as expected.
4. Dead or Alive: Dimensions (3DS) - 3/5 -The game does a good job at retelling the story of the previous games and introducing new players to the series.
5. Celeste (Switch) - 3/5 - Fluid gameplay and a great challenge, story didn't captivated me that much but still solid.
6. Ratchet and Clank (PS5) - 3/5 - My first time playing a game from the series, very solid gunplay but still not sold on the characters and story.
7. Sackboy: A Big Adventure (PS5) - 3/5 - Very charming, surprisingly levels variety, especially the music stages, but the movimentation can be a little bit frustrating or maybe I'm spoiled by Mario 3D World.
8.PowerWash Simulator
(PC) - 2/5: OK game I guess
9.Kaze and the Wild Mask (PC) - 3/5: Simple and fun game
10.Signalis (PC) - 4/5: Essential for those who like PS1 style horror games
11.Last of Us 2 (PS5) - 5/5: Top 10 games I ever played and I not a great fan of the first one.
12.Drainus (PC) - 3/5 : Can't go wrong with a shmup that have a plot, the absorbing damage mechanic is great too.
13.Raiden V (PS5) - 2/5: Good but the UI is a bit convoluted to my tastes.
14.Untitled Goose Game (PS5) - 3/5
15.Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5) - 4/5: Incredible graphics, short and tight story, Miles is a great character and the most important: no obligatory stealth segments
16.Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer (PC) - 3/5: Best cliffhanger in game history.
17.Humanity (PS5) - 3/5: Lemmings 2023
18.Neon White (PC) - 4/5: Don't let the card+fps intimidate you, this is game is unique and very fun.
20.Street Fighter 6 (PC) - 5/5 : The most complete fighting game ever released.
21.Dave the Diver (PC) - 3/5: Fun but too long for it's own sake.
22.Hell Let Loose (PC) - 3/5
23.Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS5) - 2/5: The weakest of the new Tomb Raider games, the plot is a mess.
23.Dead Cells (PS5) - 3/5
24.Death's Door (PS5) - 2/5: I get the feeling that something is missing in this one or maybe I compared it too much to Tunic.
25.Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (PS5) - 4/5: Most underrated game of the series, would be perfect if they developed the characters more.
26.Shadow of The Colossus (PS5) - 5/5: Still holds up today.
27.Dredge (PC) - 2/5: I had high expectations for this one, but the gameplay repeats itself too much and you never got a sense of dread that was supposed to be in a game like this.
28.Gran Turismo 7 (PS5) - 4/5: This is not a love letter to car lovers, it's a entire book of poems.
29.Return of the Obra Dinn (PC) - 4/5: The gameplay maybe looks repetitive in the beggining, but please, don't give up and if possible, try the complete ending.
30.Jet Lancer (PC) - 3/5 - A pleasant surprise, a little easy maybe.
31.Ghost of Tsushima (PS5) - 3/5: The graphics and combat are great, but everything else is underwhelming, specially the story and characters.
32.Killer Frequency (PC) - 3/5: I was kinda disappointed at the end, but still a fun game.
33.Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon (PS5) - 5/5: My first AC game and already one of the best games I ever played
34.Persona 5 Royal (PS5) - 5/5: What more can be said of this one, one of the best JRPG of all times and the gold standard regarding quality of life in the genre
35.Unpacking (PS5) - 3/5: Unique storytelling
36.Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PC) - 3/5: The Evangelion of plataformers game.
37.Framed Collection (PC) - 3/5: Simple but well done puzzles.
38.Cadillacs And Dinossaurs (Arcade) - 2/5: Good for it's time maybe.
39.A Summer's End - Hong Kong 1986 (PC) - 4/5: Short VA with a great OST, stunning art and a heartwarming story
40.Red Earth (Arcade) - 2/5: Good art, but lacking in the gameplay department.
41.Doom Eternal (PC) - 3/5: Incredible graphics and ultra responsive controls but I think the game is a bit too long for it's own good.
42.Spider-Man 2 (PS5) - 3/5: Traversal is good as ever, NY is great, graphics are nice but a really forgettable story.
43.Golden Idol Mysteries: The Spíder of Lanka (PC) - 2/5: Love the base game, but this DLC is simply boring.
44.Control (PS5) - 4/5: Good gameplay and engaging plot.
45.Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA) - 3/5: Good game, just didn't like the ending
46.Roboquest (PC) - 2/5: A better selection of weapons and this roguelite would be a lot better.
47.Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch) - 4/5: Best 2d Mario since Super Mario Bros. 3.
48.Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (DS) - 3/5: A underrated game in the series for sure.
49.Metroid Prime Remastered (Switch) - 3/5: Great atmosphere but the game really drags at the end.
50.Hi-Fi Rush (PC) - 3/5: One of the most charismatic games I played this years but the game gets a bit repetitive too many times.
51.13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (PS5) - 5/5: Fantastic story, great pace and the gameplay is simple but fun.
52.Gravity Circuit (PC) - 4/5: Probably the best megaman-like game I ever played.

Bonus: Top 10 Games (excluding Shadow of the Colossus because it was a replay)

1. The Last of Us 2
2. Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon
3. Persona 5 Royal
4. Street Fighter 6
5. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
6. Neon White
7. Signalis
8. Control
9. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
10. Astalon: Tears of The Earth

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header_alt_assets_2.jpg

Game 11 - Ghostwire Tokyo
Platform - Xbox Series X
Time: 28 hours

Wasn't sure what to expect going in as I didn't pay much attention when it came out initially, but I sure wasn't expecting Far Cry with ghosts. But you know what, that's what I got and I ended up really enjoying it. I thought it looked good, had some nice enemy variety and some really satisfying gameplay with the different elemental powers. But, it follows the Far Cry formula to a T for better or worse, so if you don't like a big map full of icons to clear, this probably isn't for you. I don't mind that style of gameplay loop and hadn't played one in a while so it really clicked with me. Bonus points for the spirits you have to collect to level up reminding me of the Crackdown orbs, right down to the fact you need to fly around to get a lot of them.

Main Post

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
13: Wo Long (Series S) - 2/5

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of this one... Game starts super strong, peaks with the Lu Bu fight, and then it just gets too fucking easy. You don't have an incentive to use different gear because of how this game streamlines the loot system compared to Ni-Oh, the story is still a bunch of nothing and, at the end of the day, the game just gets super repetitive.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Had a few productive days cutting through more of my backlog:

53. Neo Turf Masters (PS4) - Amazing game. Best golf game ever bar none. A great mix of arcadey fast paced feel, but its far from a shallow experience. Ive not played any newer golf games that get remotely close to how this plays. Timeless.

54. No More Heroes 2 (Switch) - Is it perfect? Nope, its rough round the edges but it positively oozes style and has some excellent boss fights and combat mechanics if you dig a little deeper. Story feels a little worse than the first game, its a more straight forward revenge story with low stakes, though I quite like that Travis at least has the illusion of character growth at points... Some bosses could be a little shorter (Shinobu's second doesnt need to be THAT long), but I adore them, they are so unique and different to each other, almost makes the rest of the game feel like window dressing.

55. Mass Effect 2 (PS4) - Excellent sequel and one of the few games I feel that is worthy of the hype its built up over the years. Had a blast doing the mountain of optional content, loved the character interactions though part of me wishes they had fewer characters in the game, but each getting more screen time... But overall, its a great third person action/RPG and Im... interested to see how they resolve things in ME3 (Ive heard its not a great conclusion plot wise, but for me, its the journey not the destination).

Next up:

Monster Hunter Rise
RE4 REmake
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Tchia

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
29: Coffee Talk. End: 4/20/2023.

A very chill, and very short, visual novel about the costumers of a small coffee shop, this was a game I enjoyed playing at a more relaxed pace. Recommended for people who want to play short and relaxing games. If you're looking for a little more action, I would advise looking elsewhere.

30: Fire Emblem Engage. End: 4/21/2023.

Fire Emblem games rely on their slightly more complex (compared to most other Nintendo franchises) narratives. This game foregoes a complex narrative. But the actual gameplay and presentation is quite refined. Some of the supports are well done, but most are pretty simple. These elements are very popular within the FE community, so it's interesting to see them take a step back for this game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
56. Final Fight Guy (SNES) - This one was supposed to be a quick run through the game, with the difficulty cranked up. Playing as Guy since his name is in the title! Turns out the last couple of stages are still somewhat challenging on the SNES port on harder difficulties so that took a few tries to nail it down (especially the final stage).
Really enjoyed it, its been a while since I played a Snes Final Fight port, so this feels better than I remember FF1 being on the SNES. Maybe they did more than just swap Cody for Guy in this version, I really should check...

Next up:

Dead Island Riptide (forgot to add this one earlier, 75ish% into the game, loving it despite the jank, I imagine I'll finish this one soon)
Monster Hunter Rise
RE4 REmake (still on chapter 1 lol)
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Tchia

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game 12 - Vernal Edge
Platform - Switch
Time: 10 hours

Another great metroidvania that stands out in a sea of similar games with it's unique take on combat and art style. Combat takes a bit to get used to, especially with the weird healing mechanic (I went through half the game not healing because I didnt understand it until I googled it), and same can be said for the various traversal abilities you aquire (again, everything in this game is unique for better or worse and can take a bit to get used to) but for my money, it all comes together nicely. Perfect length and some really good level design, but it's also brutally difficult at times, so beware if that is not your jam. It's not top tier in the genre, but it's upper tier for sure, and very much worth playing for fans of these games.

Main Post

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

[7/52 completed]

Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores
- Platform: PS5 | Rating: 8.5/10 | Date finished: April 20th

Burning_Shores-01.jpg

Forbidden West was an incredible game and one of my favorites from last year, so I was really looking forward to the Burning Shores DLC. I'm still working on the side content, but the main story was very enjoyable. It's more of the same overall and doesn't particularly break new ground gameplay wise, but there are some nice new additions. The new Waterwing enemy can fly and dive underwater which adds a really cool dynamic to exploration. There's also a grapple jump that lets Aloy quickly grapple to an enemy when they're downed to finish them off, as well as a bunch of new skills to unlock like a berserk blast valor surge that emits a large AOE and causes all nearby enemies to start attacking each other. Just minor stuff like that which makes combat a bit more fun. As far the main questline/story goes, it has some larger implications for the overall story but it's more of a side story for Aloy's growth as a character. She's opened up and become more accepting of help from people since the end of FW's base game, and there are some nice moments in this DLC that I won't go into detail with. Seyka is a great addition to the cast too and I hope she ends up joining the main crew in the third game. Horus fight was neat, but I was kind of letdown by the other main boss fight. Overall very enjoyable DLC if you're a fan of the games though. Not necessarily essential but well worth playing nonetheless.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
57. Final Fight 2 (Super Famicom) - After a fun run through Final Fight Guy, I decided to replay FF2 since I still had my Super Nintendo set up. And I enjoyed it quite a bit, FF2 is a weird one since I can appreciate the game on a technical level being better than Capcom's port of FF1/Guy, but I still dont think its actually better when it comes to stages or characters. But anyway, enough with the comparisons - its another side scrolling brawler, some really nice sprite work and a nice motley crue of enemies to fight your way through. The game sticks close to the original game in terms of mechanics, though the infinite combo appears intact, its way harder to do (with Carlos at least), but hey Haggar gets a spinning pile driver now! Oh and they finally include Rolento, just one game to late! There's really nothing else to say about it... its a competently designed game that sticks a bit too close to how the first was without it feeling like it improves upon it. It looks nice and plays nice and Id probably recommend it over the Snes ports of FF1/Guy but I still think a decent port of FF is better than FF2. Now FF Tough on the other hand...

58. Dead Island Riptide (PS4) - This one surprised me. Like NMH2 that I finished this week, this one is super janky in places but that's not really a bad thing. The combat is amazingly addictive and getting a nice range of bladed and hand to hand weapons was my thing - slicing up zombies never gets old.
The story is stupid, its your standard zombie shite and honestly I barely paid attention part way through, missed nothing. Likewise the side missions were just a means for cash and XP.
The game also has a ton of motion blur out its ass, and its 30FPS only, so its really quite ugly. And quite an eyestrain to play in the first couple of hours. And they basically never give you a decent way of improving your stamina when fighting (it runs out waaaaaaaay to quick), and the special zombies suck to fight... You'd think with all these negatives it'd be a bad game right? Well as I said, its really addictive to play, and weirdly that basically makes most of the above moot - I got used to the motion blur/30FPS, and worked round the stamina issues where possible, I just had so much fun playing the game that all the issues around it sorta just faded into the background. Also helps that after some run around in the beginning of the game, its rather tightly paced, only slowing to a shamble when you have the "defend the X" missions (which suck). As a result it rarely overstayed its welcome as it was always moving forward, getting better gear and brawling with tons of zombies. Id imagine if you played it on PC it'd be better, at least graphically, so do that. And maybe find a mod or two to fix the other issues. Weirdly I recommend it despite its many shortcomings, it also made me super excited for DI2.

Next up:

Monster Hunter Rise
RE4 REmake (still on chapter 1 lol)
Rez Infinite (trophies)
Tchia
Lost more VR stuff
MGS Rising
Splatterhouse (PS3)
Avengers
NMH3
Bayonetta 3
Sonic Frontiers
Plague's Tale
Mass Effect 3
Jedi Fallen Order

Original post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
9a8fcb387320778c60bde85c087b20d5.png

Game 21: Totally Rad (NES) (1 Hour) (April 18th, 2023)
Well, I was bound to find one that totally sucks. In a library of so many interesting and quality action platformers, Totally Rad stands out by being far too ambitious without any of the ability. You get so many powers handed to you without explanation and they're all super uninteresting, often leaving the player with picking one and sticking with it for the rest of the game (Usually the healing spell was my go to, it was the most useful). It sure doesn't help that the screen flashes like crazy when you use a magic power, which made me not want to use it at all! Seriously would consider not playing it if epileptic which is never a good thing to say about a game. That being said, the poorly translated 80's action movie-esque talk is brilliant, every character has a vocabulary consisting of the words Totally, Dude and Gnarly. The nonsense story is worth looking over just to enjoy this stupid dialogue. The bosses are really cool sprite-wise, but the fights themselves suck, it's impressive that they managed it but disappointing at the same time. This one sucks, but that's okay!

85b6c99bb36d6e7be78bf8fd28d6e43d.jpg

Game 22: Ninja Gaiden (NES) (2 Hours) (April 23rd, 2023)
Pretty cool! I'm a fan of this one but it's not up there with my favourites, I'd still have the Castlevania's, KickMaster, Journey To Silius, Power Blade and Batman above it, but it's a really impressive game in it's own rights. The cutscenes and story are seriously impressive, the music is enjoyable and weapons/combat is great. I do hate that in a game with a lot of ladders (Not unlike the original Mega Man), you have to jump off the ladder to a platform nearby rather than just getting up off the ladder, it's annoying and it happens constantly. Enemies spawning on the edge of Ninja Gaiden's screens is perhaps the games most notorious problems, and it does get annoying at times but it's almost a brilliant way to keep the player moving, rather than lining up jumps the game trusts in it's jumping mechanics and tells the players just to do the jump and keep moving. That being said, the bird enemies are incredibly frustrating and take away from the games ability to get the player moving by slowing the player down so they don't fall into an instant death pit. Overall, lots of fun, could be better

e261489ab942429a6600c1c4121ac14d.jpg

Game 23: Donkey Kong Country (SNES) (3 Hours) (April 24th, 2023)
If I could describe DKC in one sentence it would be "The album was better". DKC's music is legendary in it's quality, and it's ability to become one of gaming's most atmospheric platformers is breath-taking, but wow, the game itself sure could be better! The gameplay loop of DKC isn't bad but level design is what kills it for me. When the levels are at their best in DKC, they're fast and exciting with interesting ideas thrown in as well as a hint of exploration when looking for secrets, but the worst levels are just kind of bland, and that's almost the theme of Donkey Kong Country to me. Exciting music and appealing graphics but with a lot of bland levels that don't innovate or interest me. I didn't like any of the animal buddies and the bosses kind of sucked but it's hard to overlook how good the best levels in this game are. Looking forward to giving DKC2 a shot because by all accounts it's just better

With that I've already completed the same amount of games as I did in 2022, looking good!

Original Post

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Main Post
Took a bit longer than I thought to get anything more completed this month but I've finally got some stuff to add.

kdIDBkc.jpg

Guilty Gear Strive (PC/Playstation 4) - April 23rd
So I wouldn't necessarily call this a finished game, so much as you can say you've finished a fighting game anyway but after going to some locals and competing in some online events I'd say that it's definitely worth putting this on here. I've been playing Strive on and off since around last November after being introduced to it through friendlies at a local. Before then I wouldn't really have said that I was super into traditional fighting games, I had been into Street Fighter 5 and Third Strike for a bit and I had a lot of fun with them but when it came to fighting games I'd still rather gravitate to Smash. Something about Strive is just different though, from the moment I first played it everything just clicked with me, I'm not sure exactly how to explain it. Strive just feels good to play in a way that other fighters don't to me. Even when I'm losing I'm still having an absolute blast. Now even though I am counting this as a completed game for this it's definitely worth noting that I've actually barely interacted with 99% of the game's content. I literally only play as Bridget, I tried out May for a little bit and accidentally played a single match as Sol due to the weird way you have to choose your characters online, but otherwise this is really just Bridget Gear Strive to me. As I am now I don't really feel like branching out either, loading up the game and playing as Bridget online is all I really want to do, and I love doing it. It's not like I don't have a decent amount of time in the game either, I don't have anything exact since it's split between playing on PC and on PS4 when I'm at locals, but it's still far more than many of the other games I've counted for this so I'm cool with adding it. That's not to say I'm done with the game either, I'm going to be playing it a lot more this year but after doing doing a crew battle, a local, and an online tournament in the space of a week this felt like the right time to add it here. This has ended up being mostly me justifying to myself why this counts for this so I'll just end off here by saying that Guilty Gear Strive is one of the best fighting games I've ever played and some of the most fun I've had with a multiplayer game. Now here's a clip of me getting absolutely ROBBED.

View: https://twitter.com/_Subnats/status/1647382448987156481

5/5

OcYiwJB.jpg

Ridge Racers 2 (Playstation Portable) - April 23rd
RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!! I've been slowly chipping away at this game since beating the original and seeing that one thread on this game being terrible. It is not terrible and is in fact the best arcade racer I've ever played. It definitely took a little bit to get used the the control here, it's not quite the same as the original or RR64, but once I got accustomed it became incredibly smooth and satisfying. The nitro boost is a coll addition and the sense of speed you can reach here is crazy. I can't imagine how impressive this must've been back in the day when it originally came out. It's incredibly impressive how good this still looks while running at 60fps on a portable form 2004. The soundtrack is fantastic too with no tracks I didn't like. Content wise I get that RRs2 is essentially just a small expansion on the first RR on PSP, and ultimately just a greatest hits of the PS1 games but having not played most of those a decent chunk of this game was completely new to me and all fantastic to race through. Seeing courses I recognise like Seaside Route 765 remade at a higher fidelity was great. The AI could get a bit overly difficult at times during the later world tours (skill issue) but otherwise I have essentially no complaints with the game. Overall Ridge Racers 2 is a fantastic game and one of my new favourites.

5/5

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

14: Trails from Zero (PS4) - 5/5:

Trails is probably my favorite RPG series. There's no other series that make me feel so into its world. The cast is great, the world is great, the plot is great. There are very few things to actually complain about - so they won't change my rating whatsoever.

I already started Azure, but I'm probably only finishing it next month.