KentBlake

Oct 27, 2017
01) Planescape: Torment (PC): I played this one when it came out in 1999, and finally decided to replay it. It certainly holds up (especially with the enhanced edition), but there are some aspects that are a little outdated (fetch quests and some busywork). But overall it's still one of the best written games of all time.

02) Steamworld Build (PC): I'm not very fond of building games, but I find the Steamworld series very charming. It's a good game, that doesn't overstay it's welcome (around 8 hours long), but not without its problems. I liked it, but didn't love it.

03) Cyberpunk 2077 + Phantom Liberty (PS5): I waited patiently for the game to finally be ready, and decided to play it. It's actually a good game, and I encountered practically zero bugs, but it didn't grab me the way I thought it would. I can't explain why, but to me it was like a 7.5/10, and after 25 hours I couldn't way for it to end (it took another 10 hours). But maybe it's just me...I think I'm more of a fantasy RPG kind of guy. On to BG3 now.

04) Strange Horticulture (PC): Very interesting game. It's a mix of detective work and plants, with a small touch of Lovecraft.

05) Turnip Boy Robs a Bank (Xbox Series X): A nice little roguelite. Enjoyed it more than the first game in the series.

06) SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated (Xbox Series X): A nice remaster of a PS2 game, with all PS2 era quirks and problems. Fun, but nothing incredible.

07) Dead Island: Riptide (Xbox One): More Dead Island. Fun, but not very different from the first game.

08) Dead Island 2 (Xbox Series X): A modernized version of Dead Island. I enjoyed it more than the other games, and really liked Jacob's voice actor. The guy is funny.

09) Cell to Singularity - Evolution Never Ends (PC): A clicker game, that lasts forever and wastes time like nothing else. It's interesting, though. Got all achievements, so I guess I finished it.

10) Lords of the Fallen (Xbox Series X): People complained a lot about this one, but it's certainly the "most souls-like soulslike" I've ever played (with Mortal Shell trailing close behind). It's got its problems (like the abysmal frame rate at times), but I still enjoyed it a lot. It's one of my two favorite genres, after all (along with CRPGs),

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
MAIN POST

A-January.png

1-Spider-Man-2.png

Spider-Man 2 (2023)
Developed by: Insomniac Games
Published by: Sony Interactive Entertainment

Following in the footsteps of the last two Spider-Man games, Insomniac plays it mostly safe in a good but not great follow up to 2018's smash hit. Everything that was great about playing the first two games is still great here. There is nothing like swinging around the city, zipping through air tunnels, or just free falling from the tallest building in New York because the traversal in these games is unmatched. Combat is still fluid and fun, but the game has too many moments, especially towards the end, that overwhellemed me and made me feel like my inputs were not being registered. The number of times I felt I had doged an attack only to be hit by five other enemies surrounding me was frustrating and made me want to quit. This feeling is not help but a slow but unfocused first half, followed by a breakneck paced second half. The story is nowhere near as good as the original and even in someways a step back from Miles Morales, who gets shortchanged a lot in this game. Don't let the marketing fool you, this is a Peter Parker story with Miles feeling like an required addition as apossed to a character with as full of an arc as Peter. Overall, I enjoyed my time with most of Spider-Man 2 and am looking forward to both the next full sequel as well as any add on story content Insomniac wants to send our way, I just wish this games story made me feel the way the first one did.

2-Cocoon.png

Cocoon (2023)
Developed by: Geometric Interactive
Published by: Annapurna Interactive

A short, but extremely engaging puzzle game that really broke my brain a couple of times with how many layers down we could go. The main mechanic is using these colored spheres to enter different planes, but as the game progresses the number of nesting doll loops you have going really got me. The atmosphere and the music really sell a somewhat odd and even unsettling feel to whatever the hell is actually happening, but no one is coming to this game for the story anyway. The puzzles are fantastic, with only a couple being a little challenging for me personally, and overall they are not that difficult. A fun puzzle game that could take a day to 100% and if you have game pass it is available there at the time of my writing this. If you are looking for something short and brain teasingly fun, Cocoon is a great choice.

Last edited:

designiana

Dec 6, 2023
I really like your review of Mediterranean Inferno, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone else on Resetera mention We Know the Devil before, that is a very strong parallel to make.

Thank you! I'm new here and a big reason why I finally made an account was to write more about the stuff I'm into.

05-underground-blossom-mini.jpg

Underground Blossom
Finished: 2024-01-10 (2h)
★★★

For me this series has always been comfort food made up of empty calories; I've been playing these games since Rusty Lake Hotel and, well, it's another one of those.

That's not to say that there still isn't something about the offputting sensibilities and aesthetics and the simple point and click pleasures of this game: collect an item, see something unpleasant, move to another screen, use an item, unlock puzzle: I'm not made of stone and that kind of stuff still holds some appeal to me, y'know? I think the conceit of traveling through stations is fun and the puzzle design has been streamlined for the better (no big areas or tower of Hanoi-adjacent puzzles...).

Where this game kinda lost me was in its attempt to tie-in the Rusty Lake games + The White Door + Cube Escape series. You don't really need to play all of them before Underground Blossom, but I still think these work better when they're mostly "head empty, creepy vibes" in the narrative department and not trying to obliquely approach trauma/mental health, which is kinda of a miss every time they attempt to play with it (maybe The White Door does better in this department, but to be honest I barely remember anything about it). I mean, Rusty Lake Hotel had murderable fancy lads with animal heads and that was kind of it! But going through Underground Blossom I did get the itch to replay the Rusty Lake trilogy and see how I feel about them nowadays so maybe I have to go back...​

06-logiart-grimoire-mini.jpg

Logiart Grimoire
Finished: 2024-01-10 (40h)
★★★★★

(I started this one in 2023 but solved the latter half this year including all the dreaded 40x30s, so I'm including it!!)

It's simply more Picross by the developers of the original series and I love it. There's a quirky addition to this game, in which solved puzzles represent different concepts that must be combined according to clues to unlock further puzzles. It's not difficult at all and I wasn't sure about it at first, but since I've been slowly going through the DS series these past few years, the quick breaks this simple mechanic provides were a really a welcome addition for me and made each solution gain more importance since you'll be revisiting your completed gallery often to combine new puzzles. This enforced 'mindfulness' made me appreciate the game itself a lot more than the rows of empty squares of past games ever did. Gun to my head, I wouldn't be able recall any of the finished nonograms in any of the many 2D Picross-style games I've played, but I won't forget so soon that in Logiart Grimoire, God is literally in the Fantasy category (I'm guessing it's a quirk of the translation lol), or that 'Iron is a type of metal, sturdier than stone', or those huge 40x30 scenes...

Oh, and did I mention that in this game you're solving Picross to help an otherworldly wizard creature named Emil (don't worry about it), and if you fuck up the combination puzzle too many times in a row you'll unlock one of his puzzles, aka a Picross of his crudely drawn art? It's great!

20240111224659-1.jpg

The 'game feel' punches way above its weight and there's some helpful toggles for newbies and quality of life options — I think this was added in a previous Picross installment but there's line counting!!! (I spent way too many minutes of my life counting lines in nonogram puzzles). Logiart Grimoire is in EA and I think the devs even underwent a successful kickstarter campaign last year to finish/polish the game, but honestly I've had no issues aside from some really, really minor bugs: the two that I recall rn were controller prompts showing up in a particular description (I'm playing M+KB) and a flavor text refering to the Grasslands category as Forest.

I'm halfway through the Picross e series and played pretty much all the better known ones for PC that I'm aware of (Murder By Numbers, Paint it Back, Picross for a Cause, Khimera Puzzle Island, Pictopix, Voxelgram, Pixross). For me this one is second to Picross 3D: Round 2 right now, so I'm not taking it for granted!​

Main Post

Last edited:

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
This actually got me to finish a lot of games last year, clearing 60. I just let the ADHD win on the easy part and reporting my post lol but the good part was done.

So I'm back. So far I've hit 2.

1) Diablo IV - PS5. Finished the main campaign in coop and it was fun. I waited a long time to jump in and it seems most complaints people had have been ironed out.

2) Dino Crisis - Dreamcast. Plan on revisiting the whole trilogy this year. It holds up so well and 6 hours is the perfect amount of time for a survival horror game. They don't make em like this anymore.

3) Psychic World - Master System. Short but fun platformer. I've been trying to finish it for awhile but the 5th level gauntlet has always gotten me. Managed to squeeze through this morning at last. Super fun cute little game.

Last edited:

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
This will be my first year keeping track of which games I beat so might as well give this a shot:
  1. [Jan] SNES | Donkey Kong Country (8/10)
  2. [Jan] PS1 | Suikoden (9/10)
  3. [Jan] SNES | Secret of Mana (8/10)
  4. [Jan] PC | Momodora (7/10)
  5. [Feb] SNES | Final Fantasy III (IV) (10/10)
  6. [Feb] PS1 | Final Fantasy VII (9/10)
  7. [Feb] N64 | Bomberman Hero (8/10)
  8. [Feb] N64 | Rayman 2: The Great Escape (8/10)
  9. [Feb] GB | Balloon Kid (7/10)
  10. [Feb] GB | Kirby's Tilt 'n' Tumble (7/10)
  11. [Feb] GB | Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (7/10)
  12. [Mar] Switch | Pikmin 3 Deluxe (10/10)
  13. [Mar] Switch | moon: Remix RPG Adventure (9/10)
  14. [Mar] GB | Final Fantasy Adventure (7/10)
  15. [Mar] N64 | Pilotwings 64 (9/10)
  16. [Mar] N64 | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (8/10)
  17. [Mar] N64 | Rocket: Robot on Wheels (8/10)
  18. [Mar] Switch | Splatoon 3 (8/10)
  19. [Mar] Switch | Princess Peach: Showtime (7/10)
  20. [Mar] Switch | Glyph (8/10)
  21. [Apr] PC | Minishoot' Adventures (9/10)
  22. [Apr] GBA | Sonic Advance (7/10)
  23. [Apr] SNES | F-Zero (7/10)
  24. [Apr] SNES | Kirby Super Star (8/10)
  25. [Apr] N64 | Puyo Puyo Sun 64 (8/10)
  26. [Apr] N64 | Mystical Ninja starring Goemon (8/10)
  27. [Apr] SNES | Ganbare Goemon 3 (10/10)
  28. [Apr] PC | Harold Halibut (10/10)
  29. [Apr] PC | Goemon's Great Adventure (8/10)
  30. [Apr] N64 | Sin & Punishment (8/10)
  31. [May] PS1 | Suikoden II (10/10)
  32. [May] PC | Animal Well (9/10)
  33. [May] GEN | Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (9/10)
  34. [May] SNES | Fire Emblem IV: Genealogy of the Holy War (10/10)
  35. [May] PS1 | Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (9/10)
  36. [May] SNES | Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (8/10)
  37. [May] PS1 | WipEout XL (8/10)

Last edited:

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
dHmUVKB.jpg
04 | Jett: The Far Shore
PS5 | Jan 07 | 11 h | 2/5

I really wanted to like this one. But as I played, I wanted the experience to be over.

The art style and gradient colors of the world is absolutely beautiful. I'm not a big space adventurer, but the world is wonderful to explore. (When you're not fighting controls and constantly bombarded by enemies.) I loved finding large, and more importantly friendly, kolos. Creatures that made it a fun experience to explore. I wish the developers added more of the larger kolos than the small aggro ones that made it awful to fly around.

I was okay with the slow, vague storytelling. Hints of flashbacks and conversations with your crew that isn't entirely clear even at the end.
But damn, your crew and copilot would not shut up! He constantly yammers on with his feelings, what he's seeing, directions, using your name (hey Mei, Mei, MEI) in a language you have to read subtitles to understand. And I mean constantly. You don't get a break. It's dreadful.

I constantly fought with the camera. It was zoomed in to the point I crashed into obstacles and then zoomed out so far you're nothing but a speck on your screen. (And then I crashed some more because I cannot see.) It's terrible. No other way to describe the abysmal camera.

The worst part was playing the game. Sure it's pretty but once I was told my mission objective, it was incredibly unfun. Horrible, janky controls. Enemies that do not stop to pursue you. They will chase you off the entire island making it a nightmare to explore. Awful tiny map. Good luck finding anything on it.

It's such a shame because this game had strong potential to be a solid fun experience. But it ruined itself with overly ambitious goals. The gameplay could not match the storytelling. Not even close.

I regretted picking this up a couple of times.

JV5gJxB.jpg
05 | Jett: Given Time
PS5 | Jan 13 | 10 h | 2/5

I gave it too much credit to adjust literally any of the issues I experienced with the first one. Nothing changed. It's the same shitty camera with the same shitty controls.

The ONLY positive from this one over The Far Shore was the fact that Isao, your co-pilot, was in torpor so he couldn't constantly yammer in your ear.

Main Post

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
2 years in a raw completing this almost "impossible" task for me.
never thought I could finish so many games in a year!

let's try again!!

january
1 avatar frontiers of pandora - Series X - 7/10
A game clearly sustained by his visuals.

World is gorgeous and interesting to explore and I can clearly see that they tried to make mission design a bit more elaborated than the division series but somehow the design got a bit confuse in some missions and the overall combat didn't flow well for me.

Pros
- gorgeous world to explore with stunning visuals
- animations are better than previous Ubisoft games
- navis are well realized
- great soundtrack and sound design
- missions a bit more memorable than the traditional Ubisoft games

Cons
- visuals inconsistency and visuals problems like low FPS for distant enemies and creatures, lighting glitches, agressive pop in while flying and black screens in transitions gameplay from cutscenes
- convoluted crafting and inventory system
- level design a bit unclear sometimes
- so so story and characters
- and the worst is that the overall combat didn't flow,well for me, specially with the mechs

A average game with gorgeous world and some of the more stunning visual moments of this generation

2 under the waves - PS5 - 7/10
A very very slow game with very simple design .
It's not to much exciting but I liked to play in some way…
It was relaxing being under the waves and discovering the story the game.
Story is also very obvious and not to exciting but it's not bad at all.
Framerate on PS5 is also terrible sometimes and it looks to be running under 20fps many times.

This is the type of game I liked but not recommended to anyone.

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
1: Vampire Survivors. End: 1/1/2024.

The shining jewel in a "new" type of game, Vampire Survivors is an addicting game that can sink its teeth into you with "one more run." Wave after wave of monsters comes after you as you fight in this simple but addictive and surprisingly deep (at least deeper than it initially appears) game.

2: River City Girls 2. End: 1/7/2024.

This sequel didn't seem to get anywhere near as much attention as the original, but I don't think it's a bad game (even though one late game battle was more of a pain than it should have been). If you enjoyed the first game, looking into this game isn't a bad idea.

3: Golf Story. End: 1/13/2024.

This is a game I spent a lot of time playing only a little of before not touching it again for a long period of time. Did this a few times. I was determined to finally beat this game. And it's a fun little golf game with a rather charming presentation.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
SlasherMcGirk's 52 Games 2024

Game 2 A Plague Tale: Requiem
Release Data: Year 2022

Platforms: PS5, Xbox Series, Switch and PC
capsule_616x353.jpg

a0135278d352462b60c32ffc5bab11861df00cb1.gifv
rc4b4axabgiah1oyyqjd.gif

Review Score:
5/10

It had been so long since I played the original title A Plague Tale: Innocence, so I watched a breif summary of the first game. My memory of it was that it was a pretty impressive title for an indie game and looked quite nice and while I liked the characters the game and story itself left a little bit to be desired. Requiem to me also fits that ball well despite the fact I just finished it. I can already tell I will feel the same way in a few years and a slight rememberance of disapointment.

For starters the game looks really great on the PS5. Much better than I thought it would even considering the past title. Enviroments really pop and the flora really stands out as being well done. Character models for the main cast look great and it runs pretty consistent but there are notable spikes and lag in stuff from afar. I can imagine it was not like this at launch though.

The gameplay of Requiem is very similar to the first. It doesn't really have "combat" per se. Well I guess technically you could argure it does but fighting enemies is not what the game wants you to do. In fact it's rather hard to kill all or any enemies in any given area. Instead I feel it's more like a stealth puzzle game that disguises it's self as having combat. It's more about resource gathering and mix alchemic potions to trick or lure enemies into areas so you can get around them. It's much much easier to play stealthy in this game as opposed to most games where using combat attacks and bum rushing it using raw skill. It's a decent pace breaker at the very least although I don't think the game does an exceptional job at it none the less. The majority of your time in Requiem is speant in slow walking sections as characters talk and comment about the situation they are in. Really no lie, this is the vast majority of what the game comprises of. There are other sections of the game where instead of avoiding enemies you have to figure out how to traverse a set peices while avoiding herds of rats that will instant kill you if they touch you. So then it becomes a puzzle of sort to try to light fires to give you space to move or even extinguish others to lure them in while you navigate a space. Sometimes it can be annoying when you are low on resourses and you are missing the one item pot that you need to make a break for it. The game is really paced like this. Forced walking section > rat maze > second rat maze > forced walking section > breif exploration > forced walking section > sneak section > sneak section again > forced walking section > cutscene and end chapter.

When it comes to the story it is a continuation from the first game but honestly it is pretty easy to follow if you haven't played it outside of one or two details. This is kinda a journey game so there really isn't much twists or turns. Every story beat is easily expected and guessed. The only thing that really feels like any originality is really the ending. I will not spoil it but I really was not a fan of it. I don't think it was earned and it honestly hampered my mild enjoyment of the game.

The one thing I really did like was the performance of the voice actors and the characters in this game. The actress that did Amecia was really well done and Hugo was not nearly annoying at all despite him being a whiny child character. There were some great moments that really brought the voice work forward and made it stand out. Punished murderous Amecia is best Amecia The music was also really well done and really heighted some of the scenes. It's almost like the presentation of the game was really well done and every other ascpect of the game from gameplay, story and pacing was just an absolute slog. My second playthrough to cap off the last couple of trophies I didn't have was just the most boring second run of a game I think I can even remember. It was slow the first time around but the second time was agonizing.

I don't know if the team is planning another one of these games but they would have to take it in quite an interesting direction to get me excited for it and overhaul the game play a bit. It was worth one go around to experiance it but it kinda feels like junk food gaming. Enjoyed it enough while having it but immeaditly got paines and remorse thinking back on it.

Platinum #201

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
2. WarioWare: Get it Together ★★

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv-9tXSNBHc&ab_channel=NintendoofAmerica

I tend to consider Wario Ware the most tapped out series that Nintendo have kept in rotation, after a rough patch that concluded in Wario Ware Gold hitting the emergency button by being a remake/remaster/all stars compilation of the liked entries, you could almost view it as the series swansong that would let it take a break gracefully.
Actually never mind that, we got two more on switch and here's the first of them, Get it Together has at least two solid hooks for a new microgame blitzing entry.
First being, multiplayer, an entry that can be played entirely in co-op, not that I was playing it in co-op but hey, it's there.
And second, in order to facilitate two players within the Wario Ware setup, you now control individual characters that you could say interact directly with the microgames.

Not a bad angle, at this point it almost felt like to me that the expanded cast of oddballs was the one thing WW still had going for it now that its once novel gimmick had been run into the ground. And I respect that they crammed in all of them, we all have our faves I'm sure (Orbulon, Mona, Penny and Spitz jump to mind) even if they're hardly nintendo all stars, of course the question then comes in how to differentiate 20 characters while fitting them into the same microgames that last mere seconds.

And it's an admirable attempt between simple characters, perpetually moving characters, projectile characters etc, all slightly different albeit cut from a similar cloth, must've taken a ton of work to ensure all the characters can reliably tackle every game. Was it worth it though? hmm, not too sure it was.
The games tend to lean a lot on bumping into things, the odd light physics task and end up being a lot of similar things in different skins.
GIT (unfortunate acronym) really has to use that Wario Ware weirdness to try and offset that feeling, then again this is a series long issue for clear limitation reasons, it just feels more obvious here than previous entries.
On top of that some characters are just poor fits for certain microgames, to the point the in game collection bit has a handy note of what characters are better or worse fits for certain games, in a roundabout way this gives this entry more inherent replay value than most other WW titles, with the cost of it feeling the most sloppy at times.

As is the norm, you'll blaze through the scenarios in 2 hours, bizarrely the series quirky vignettes to open each characters round of games no longer have actual endings which is utterly baffling, Kat & Ana were fighting some Beast boy who mind controlled a bunch of animals to terrorize people, and there's no conclusion to this, only the intro, what?
Following the main story, where I'll include the "post game" bit, I noticed there was a complete lack of mini/side games.
Extra content exists in other forms, a weekly (?) online competition that further remixes existing minigames looked kinda neat actually as a way to add slight longevity and an online scoreboard element.
The many many achievements carrying on a design concept from both the 3DS Wario Ware and Rhythm Heaven, can help highlight all the small touches hidden within individual microgames through optional challenges and that's also sorta neat.

All this leads to coins to splurge on a gacha machine so you can gift your fave wario ware characters, get them some new colours, unlock some art, once again it's NEAT, they even got the meme babyface from Mario Paint/Maker in here, it's all appreciated but doesn't help offset how slight this game is even by series standards.
I've never really known if Wario Ware games are tough to make due to their many individual microgames, the presentation is always cheap as heck, by design or necessity? a bit of both? who knows! (nintendo and intelligent systems, they know).
At this point I think it's time to just put the series on ice y'know? Diminishing returns for years, we last peaked with the wii remote dancing boss fight in Wii's smooth moves and it's been downhill ever since.
Everything from creation tools, DS cameras and building around bigger minigames instead of doing microgames, they've done all they can (highlighted further by the recent entry after this one which seems like smooth moves 2.0).
It's either time to take these characters in a massively different direction (eccentric RPG? the foundations of diamond city and the wide cast make sense to me) or just let Wario get back to doing what he actually does best, LAND

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Game 3 Chronicles of 2 Heroes: Amatersu's Wrath
Release 2023 Platforms PS4, PS5, Xbox Series, Switch and PC
capsule_616x353.jpg

01.gif
03.gif

Review Score 5/10

Chronicles of 2 Heroes: Amaterasu's Wrath is an action platformer. It's almost a blend of shinobi with Ninja Gaiden. It's a pretty linear path from start to finish however there are some branching paths here and there that are locked by some abilities and or gold and you can warp back and forth to area's you have been. I wouldn't say it's open or a metroidvania as it still has a set level pattern and path.

2 Heroes at it's core is all about it's two character swapping mechanic. You can switch characters instantly at the tap of a button at anytime, even in the middle of an action. You have one character you specializes in attack and defense, the samurai and one character that excells at mobility and ranged attacks, the ninja. Both have several weakness's and strenghts that you constantly have to be switching back and forth to progress. Like for example the samurai character can not jump at all but the Ninja can double jump. The samurai has a fast dash attack and is a boss killer. The ninja will be your main character for moving around. You have to solve rather complex platforming puzzles by combining the two quite often. Like for example jumping as the ninja only to swap to the samurai in mid air to dash across the screen to make a jump.

2 Heroes's biggest strength is how well done the platforming puzzle utilize the character swapping mechanic. They do a lot with a minimal basic moveset and really make you think and switch on your feet. Do you know how long it took me to not get frustrated as the samurai to not be able to jump in a platform game? The other thing that really sticks out about 2 Heroes is the games difficulty. The game is tough. Real tough. Like one of the hardest platformers i've played in some time. We are talking like 9/10 on the difficulty scale. However the developers did grant us mercy. As a standard there are unlimited continues and check points are spaced out evenly enough. That and there is a built in "assist" mechanic. At anytime during the game you can hold a button and a little animal assisant will follow your character and grant you some buffs to your character to help while they are activated. For example the samurai is a little beefier, the ninja has an unlimited double jump and your health regenerates several health points every 30 secs. Trust me when I say this that if you are a casual platformer fan you are gonna wanna have these on. You are not punished by any means by using these and let me tell you unlimited jumps is a god send in this game.

There are some other things of note. This game is quite beefy. It's length plus the difficulty you could easily rack up some hours here. A perfect playthrough with assists on might take you 3-4 hours but a normal regular playthrough could take about 10-12 hours i'd imagine. Which is quite a lot for platformer. Wether this is a good thing or bad thing is up to you. For me it was more of a negative thing because it is coupled with the next thing I wanna talk about.

2 Heroes is very repititve game. It has a lot of smart platforming and tricky puzzles with quick reflexes but my god do you see the same brainless enemies and puzzle scenario's over and over again. Enemies are nothing more than walking obsticles that really don't pose much threat but more to block your path or add to the complexity of the room. Nearly the entire game is a set of rooms where the goal is to hit several lantern "markers" to open the locked door in the room. Or kill every enemy in the room to unlock the door. Or do the above 4 times to open a path a few rooms back and so forth. It really overstayed it's welcome fast. That and coupled with a really lackluster artstyle and dull music combo didn't really light my world on fire. Levels just seem to go on forever and lose their limited appeal quick. Bosses are few and far between and range from brainless to quite tough. Especially the last few.

The whole time playing 2 Heroes I kept thinking in my head that this is a perfect example of a game with an excellent gameplay idea with above average execution when it comes to the raw gameplay puzzles but every other thing in the game boggs it down to being rather bland and tedius. So when someone asks you "If a game has good fundemental gameplay does it need anything else?" While I would usually so most of the time no and one could argue if it becomes so repitive and tedius did it really have good gameplay to begin with? In a vaccum I wanna say it does but at the same time I just can't bring myself to want to try to 100% this game or give it the multiple plathroughs it wants me do on new game plus. Honestly after going back and forth with it I'm giving a 5/10 because the scales just didn't tip it in an any direction more me but I could easily see other thinking much higher of the gameplay.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat hi-fi rush and I fucking loved it!! It's my first game beaten in 2024 and I adore it!!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Its a Capcom weekend! Im feeling energised to continue my complete run through of every Capcom release/port ever, and so I'll be playing quite a few of the same game (Final Fight etc.) across multiple platforms. Rather than count each port as its own game completed, I'll just count them once, and then add the rest to my list as un numbered bonus games (unless the ports deviate fairly far from the original releases - like Bionic Commando NES Vs Arcade ports).

15. Bionic Commando (ZX Spectrum & Amstrad CPC) - Ok, counting these as one as honestly the only difference is the Amstrad one runs slower and somehow looks worse (no idea how that happened, Im suspecting a quick and dirty port of the Spectrum version). But anyway, this is a port of the arcade BC and NOT the amazing NES reimagining that I vastly prefer. That said, I still love the arcade original. Honestly, Im torn on the Spectrum port especially... its actually fairly faithful to the arcade version - looks accurate, controls fairly close to the arcade version and runs at a nice fast pace... but unfortunately it kept the arcade level of difficulty as well, so with a small number of limited lives, its bastard hard.
Enemies constantly spawn, hide off screen (above and to the sides) and stuff like helicopters just... dont leave you alone. It makes ascending and traversing the levels incredibly challenging, as you only take one hit to lose a life, which leads to many an instance where you can walk forward a few steps, have the screen scroll and suddenly a mech leaps at you leaving you (almost) no time to react.

Otherwise the game is great. Its faithful level wise to the original, and really doesnt feel like there's that much cut compared to other ports. Its just a shame that the difficulty probably puts plenty of people off from ever seeing those later levels! (yay for emulation!)

16. Spider-Man 2 (NGAGE) - Based on the second Raimi movie, this game is somewhat similar in structure to the GBA Spidey games of the time, but is actually a completely original game in terms of levels and boss fights (well, bar one).
The game still follows the design of the GBA games - huge levels which usually ask you to find or destroy X of Y. Meanwhile, you need to swing, wallcrawl and brawl your way through the levels to said objectives.
Graphically most of the game mimics the GBA games, save for maybe slightly higher quality animation. It also feels like some of the characters have somewhat of a pre rendered look, which honestly looks worse (especially these days) compared to the GBA sprites.
What does look better though are the webswinging sections that break up chapters in this game. Like the GBA version of 2 you have 3D sections in this game, but unlike the GBA version which uses sprites and trickery to make it seem 3D, this one uses proper polygons to give you these checkpoint based webswinging sections - which run faaaaaaaaaaaaar smoother/faster as well. These are linear mind you, but still a cool way of giving you some 3D action between 2D sections (bonus points for them aging well!)

The combat is still disappointing though - same combos as the GBA version and same problems with some of your hits missing, basically leaning far into "button bashing" to the point where evading enemies is smarter.

One point where this game really suffers is screen real estate. I used an NGAGE emulator (again, own the game, not an NGAGE) and the screen is narrow. Real bad design from the handheld here... Means it makes certain instant KO obstacles real hard to see...

Villain wise it plays real safe with it again using Doc Ock, Mysterio, Shocker and Rhino from Spidey 2 (all games seem like they use these dudes) but like the GBA port we also get Lizard (though Puma is absent from this port...)
The fights with these characters range from laughable to WTF. Mysterio and Rhino are hilariously easy, Lizard is... so-so, Doc Ock takes some understanding as he has a healing gimmick which I dislike, but still not a bad final boss, but Shocker is bizarrely not the jobber you'd expect. Weirdly also, this one pulls the most from the GBA port... of Spider-Man 1! he basically acts identical - basically has a shield round him so you cant just hit him, you gotta wait until he laughs so you can get a hit in... this fight takes forever, but if you time it right eventually when he starts shooting the ceiling causing it to crumble, you just position it proper so it crushes him (again, JUST like the GBA fight in Spidey 1). A note on Shocker - his stage feels entirely ripped from the first movie game on the GBA. No one elses content is, no idea why the heck they did this...

Overall the game is fine. Its certainly not a bad Spidey game (I reserve that tier to shite like GBC Spidey 1, Spider-Man 3 for the GB, Spidey Vs Sinister 6 for the Master System etc.) but its not an all timer either. The small screen and huge levels can often leave you wondering where to go for stretches of time, the combat sucks and boss fights arent too great. They also skip so much of the movie confrontations with Ock (the bank and the train) which is weird because those are iconic moments perfect for a game (I mean, other ports even use them!), so in the end it'll be yet another licensed release shoved out in time to cash in on the movie.

17. Black Tiger (Amstrad CPC & ZX Spectrum) - Another double helping of US Gold flavoured shite, this one borders on their shitacular Final Fight port in terms of "take beloved Capcom arcade classic and make it borderline unplayable).
Black Tiger in the arcades was an excellent platform/action hybrid that was fast paced, full of traps, and had some fun boss encounters. You'd be getting tons of cash to buy better gear (which you'd need in some of the later encounters) and the whole thing was just a really good time. It sorta gets lost in the shuffle when remembering Capcom's platformer output sometimes - Mega Man and Disney had cornered the NES home ports while Ghouls n Ghosts was the superior arcade platformer from Capcom. But none the less I really love this game.

So its super frustrating to yet again see another crappy port from the kings of crappy ports - US Gold and Tiertex... The game actually looks the part - big sprites (arguably too big) and the action is technically accurate to the arcade original - you have a morning star like weapon AND you shoot knives as well for longer range. You head through levels, climb pillars, jump pits, and... well Id say fight enemies but here's one of the problems - the collision detection is so abysmal that if your too close, you dont hit enemies. And enemies basically stick to you not dissimilar to Final Fight's problems. So despite the fact you are shown "hitting" the enemies, it doesnt register. And it basically makes the entire game unplayable.

Secondly, the game (especially on the Amstrad port) is insanely slow. So you plod along with enemies who may or may not be defeated as I ponder my gaming goals for the year!

Not helped any is the jumping controls and the zoomed in nature of the platforming - there's tons of bottomless pits that you wont see until your in them, and the controls are very janky when it comes to grabbing pillars, even a pixel off and you miss and lose a life... So when your not struggling with combat, your in a pit of spikes...

The last boss is hilariously bad as well. Its one of the dragons (which originally is an amazing fight), but here it just sorta... sticks to you, I spent a good several minutes unsure I was even hurting it, until the game threw up a "well done you win" screen and that's it.

All in all, its better than Final Fight, but only just. This is around a 2-3/10 compared to Final Fight barely being a 1/10. Tons of levels are cut and honestly I dont care. Unlike Bionic Commando or Strider which at least managed to accurately replicate the game AND be playable, this is yet another huge miss... I really wonder between LED Storm and Last Duel (my next 8 bit computer ports) which will be less awful! Will one of them accurate meet the oh so low barrier of "playable"? Probably not, but we'll see!

*edit* Because of just how bad this game was, I just had to load up the arcade version thanks to Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 and its infinitely better. Ignoring the obvious improvements due to hardware, the controls, collision detection and general encounter design is so much better its not even funny. Yet another example of Tiertex porting a game badly (that really should have been their motto....)

Bonus. Final Fight (X68000) - The Sharp X68000 was an amazing computer released only? in Japan during the late 80s to 90s. Its rather famous in gaming circles for having amazing ports of arcade games - while I was either trying to be content with Amiga 500 Street Fighter 2 (until getting the SNES version), Japanese gamers had this computer as an option, which legit has some almost arcade perfect ports of stuff like Street Fighter 2, Final Fight etc. Ive owned all the Capcom X68000 games for years, never had the hardware to play them, so with the power of my Steam Deck, I finally got the emulator working, and I am not disappointed.

The last FF port I played was the Amstrad port - an 8bit UK computer which, to be honest, almost didnt run the game at all (see above). Playing this port right after it is night and day. The port is essentially arcade perfect, graphically it looks the part with huge sprites perfectly animated, control and most importantly collision detection wise is PERFECT, it feels just like the arcade port, and even the music is faithful to the arcade (though some audio sounds muffled).
Easy difficulty limits the number of enemies on screen to just 3 - I wondered if this was like the SNES port which could not do any more than 3, but cranking up the difficulty increases enemy count on screen with no notable slowdown from what I can tell.

There's really not much else to say... I did a complete run through to the end, only really struggling, as per usual, on stage 6. There's no question that Id have LOVED to own this computer growing up. Ive quickly tried the other ports and they all seem pretty much arcade perfect as well, so Im looking forward to digging into the rest of them. Kinda wish we'd have gotten more ports though... Id have thrown big money down for a Cadillacs and Dinosaurs port.

Bonus. Street Fighter II' (X68000) - SFII was always going to be a difficult computer port back in the day because most computers over here decided to only give you one fire button... maybe 2 if your lucky. For a 6 button fighter. Yeah, it was shit.
Thankfully over in Japan someone had the bright idea to let you get a 6 button pad and use that instead. Which surprisingly enough made it play better! Alongside the excellent sprite work that looks almost identical to the arcade and seemingly perfect collision detection and controls, this felt like I was playing the arcade version. From what I understand the original computer version has way longer load times, but Im kinda cheating here and am using a file version that fixes that, so its really just a second or two from Vs screen to the fight. Not quite instant, but close.
Gameplay wise Im just play Vs CPU, and AI wise again its just like the original arcade version, down to Ken spamming dragon punches!

Again, not much else to really say about this one, as its practically arcade perfect. This one is impressive even compared to the console ports of the time, which had the gameplay down but compromise mainly on the sprite work (way smaller sprites, not quite as detailed), but this version looks almost spot on.

Bonus. Super Bat Puncher Demo (Evercade) - Im going through the first Morphcat Evercade collection and thanks to the handy manual (remember those?), this was listed as their first game - a small proof of concept release that garnered a lot of attention. The game is pretty short (20 minutes or so) so Im not counting is as a full game on my list, but the game itself does indeed deserve praise. Its a cute little platformer that had some cool mechanics - the idea of using this spring powered boxing glove attack which when used on walls propels you forward far to the opposite side, or using it against a wall on the ground so you curl up like a bowling ball to brake through walls... its rather creative. If they'd created a full game based on these concepts (well, maybe they have, I dont know) Id certainly play it!

Dropped:

Firehawk (Evercade) - When controls ruin a game... I never really had issues with tank controls in Resident Evil. Its a slow paced game and zombies are slow, so for the most part I could weave between enemies just fine, until I had plenty of ammo to go rambo. But what happens when you apply a similar control scheme to a shoot em up? It fucking sucks, that's what. Firehawk's biggest (but far from only) problem is that you have these enemies and shots zipping around you, and turning to avoid anything would take far too long, meaning most of the time your gonna take that hit. Couple that with strict limited ammo, tons of enemies, and even limited fuel and you have a game that basically hates you... a very 80s British concept to be honest...
Ammo and health can be collected by destroying buildings and such but with so many random shots popping up out of nowhere, you can really struggle to survive, let alone make a shred of progress. The early levels ease you into things, and honestly it feels pretty fun, as it feels more balanced at that point, but after around 3 levels, the game goes full on hateful... even with save states, your gonna hate your time with this.

The other main problem comes with the actual requirements in the stages - namely saving downed hostages with your helicopter. You hover overhead to begin a mini game which requires you to time your left and right shots perfectly to hit enemies that move to one side quickly, and if you miss even once, you take damage. Each mini game has upwards of a dozen or more enemies, so yeah it can be a pain. And to make it worse, the geniuses over at Codemasters thought it'd be funny to have your craft move left to right randomly, and the AI of the survivor is so braindead he might not even run toward said copter immediately - meaning the mini game goes on for an undetermined amount of time while you hope the dipshit survivor runs toward your copter.
Its a hatefully, ill conceived idea that doesnt work, and is just so bloody bad to play, you'll want to give up after just a couple of levels, and well... its on my "dropped" list for a reason lol.

The game just keeps on going, I made it to stage 6 before the game screwed me over and I gave up, having no interest in playing any further. Pity, the game was promising but control and design decisions absolutely ruin the game. If you want a decent shoot em up for the NES with planes and shit, go play 1943 instead, that's one heck of an excellent shmup.

Original Post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2024. [BacklogBeat]

Reserving post. May Yakuza 8 not harm my ability to finish too many games lol. 1. The King's Bird (PS4) 2. River City Rampage (Evercade) 3. Double Dragon 2 (Evercade) 4. Treasure Island Dizzy (Evercade) 5. Wonderland Dizzy (Evercade) 6. Mystery World Dizzy (Evercade) 7. Dizzy the Adventurer...

Currently Playing:
The Crew (PS4) - Another 10 or so hours in, I have another shiny new fast car AND actual story progress! By now Ive managed to visit most of the locations, and am ticking off the collectibles as I travel. Its not a masterpiece, but its strangely relaxing and very fun. Hoping I have this mostly complete by the time Yakuza releases.

Micro Mages (Evercade) - A really fun 2D indie game harkening back to old NES games. Cleared the first 4 levels, now doing the second loop with harder levels and loving it.

American Arcadia (PC) - Sadly neglected as I work on The Crew, I really must get back to this as the story has just turned a page and its getting really good. I need to carve out some time this week to finish this one off.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game 7 - Dragon Quest Builders 2
Time: 55 hours
Platform: Switch
Rating: 9/10

Absolutely fantastic sequel to an already enjoyable first game, building (no pun intended) on the foundations that the previous entry did, and improving on pretty much every aspect. Much bigger story, bigger locations, tons more stuff to build, just overall an awesome action rpg and crafting sandbox mix, which a surprisingly good story to boot. And if you like the building mechanics, there is a full fledged sandbox mode where you can build to your heart's content. I really love this series (Switch port is pretty good too, looks very sharp portable and the performance for the most part was decent given how big some of the environments were).

Main Post

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I'm doing it this year dammit. I can do it, I'm strong enough! Last year I ended up beating like...4 games? Lol.

I have 2 under my belt already this year.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Completed Games: 01 / 52

Sea of Stars - Platform: PS5 | Rating: 9/10 | Date finished: January 15th

0.jpg

I started playing Sea of Stars when it came out last year but ended up getting sidetracked by other games and work in general, but I finally got back around to it over the last week or so. This game is such a joy to play through if you're a fan of Chrono Trigger and old JRPGs. The writing won't win any awards, but just about everything else about this game is so impressive. The presentation and art is incredible from start to finish. They do a lot of creative things with the levels and it makes the game feel fresh throughout your journey. There are a wide variety of environments that really do a great job of making this world feel unique and lived in. There are tons of memorable side characters who make a lasting impact on the story no matter how large or small their roles are.

Combat is also a great time with the timing based attacks and lock system. It never gets particularly complex but there's enough there to make you put some thought into battle strategy, especially with bosses. Although I mentioned the writing isn't all that great, I do think there's a wholesome and endearing way that characters and their dynamics with each other are presented in this game that I really appreciate. Garl is a very likeable character and is easily the heart of the party. I really enjoyed my time with this game and I think Sabotage Studio's passion for the genre and the games that came before is very evident while playing Sea of Stars. It's a really impressive experience and I'm looking forward to the DLC. Would love to see a sequel one day too.

[Main Post]

Last edited:

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Game 4 Prison City
Released 2023 Patforms PS4, PS5, Xbox Series, Switch and PC
capsule_616x353.jpg

5de90c7aee90d918e10eb5cb3ad9794c5db09afe.gif
helicopter_boss.gif

Review Score 7/10

Despite having never played Prison City, immeaditly at the start of the game I was hit with a wave of nostalgia. The game looks gorgeous and is extremely high quality at it's goal of mimicking a NES game. It gave me heavy sunsoft vibes right from the get go, specificly the batman games. Any game that reminds me of the game that got me into this hobby does get some bonus points. Really though, the retro filter options are really well done and make the game look great. From the scan lines to the mirrored edge of the screen to the color pallete used put this game on my must play list.

As for the gameplay it really plays like Strider or Rygar. (I really need to get around to trying Rygar out) You have a limited disc based weapon that you can throw in any direction. The amount of discs you can throw are on a cool down meter of sorts. You can throw a lot of them out at once but they do slightly less damage if maxed out. The game gives the ability to really attack in many different posisitions so it never really feels like you can't hit something, although they only travel so far. Prison City has a Mega Man style level select set up, so you can tackle the stages in any order. As for the stages themselves they are your typical side scrolling platformer layouts. However there are a few divergents paths here or there that might lead to a health or weapon upgrade. Every level follows the same formula, first, you have to find an informant that will give you a key card and secondly you have to find the door which said key card unlocks so you can fight the boss. Usually the door is found in the mid stage and the informant is usally in the later parts. The levels are designed to be traveled back and forth so no worries there. Enemies can provide a challange and there are some challange in the platforming and it all feels nicely well balanced. The game is pretty generous with it's lives and checkpoints and for the most part if you put a bit of effort in you should be able to get through the game fine. Bosses are the harder obsticle and are really well done. Learning patterns and ways to avoid attacks and taking a good defense is a good offense is the way to go with this game. The last level does something a bit interesting that I won't spoil but it greatly extended my first run.

If your a completionist this game is pretty difficult though. Completing every stage with out getting hit is tough and beating the unlockable boss rush on the hardest difficulty might take a lot of practice. I don't know if I wanna do that right now but the game does have a bit of replay value if your into challanges. Even if you only play Prison City once though for a measly ten dollar price tag at launch you get a high quality retro inspired NES game and for me the nostalgia hit alone was worth the asking price. I can easily see myself coming back to this in a year or two.

Last edited:

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Reserve for main post.

1. Gears of War 2 -- Xbox Series X|S

Finished the original entry last year and started off going through the sequel. It really is a step up in every way over the first game and the gameplay still holds up very well. Campaign is still an impressive journey all these years later and the presentation shines at 4k/60.

9/10

2. Gears of War 3 -- Xbox Series X|S

Great follow up to Gears of War 2 and another jump in visuals with some more colourful sections. Plot and set pieces not quite as spectacular as 2 but ramps up to a great finish.

8/10

3. Gears of War: Judgment -- Xbox Series X|S

Playing.

4. Brotato -- Xbox Series X|S , PS5, and Steam

A fun vampire survivors-like game with good mechanics for building during each run. Difficulty is probably about right although some runs can snowball quite easily depending on if you get some early luck with items.

7/10

5. Final Fantasy 7 -- PS5

Next.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018
Let's go!

0x0.jpg

Game #1: Like a Dragon: Ishin // Xbox Series S

Fun fact: I bought this game back in 2014 when I went to Japan and never thought SEGA would ever localize it. Great Remake, despite some minor technical issues here and there thanks to Unreal Engine.

The game is a blast and the story is one of the best in the series. The side activities are not as addictive as other titles but I still managed to spend some good hours on karaoke, dancing and "another life". I'm prepared for Infinite Wealth!

chum

Jan 12, 2024
Hi everyone, this is my first ever post on Resetera. I've enjoyed reading this thread in years past for ideas on games to check out and this year I finally got the inspiration to sign up for an account and do the challenge. Never been close to 52, due to my penchant for long RPGs, but hoping to expand the genres I play this year and see how many I get through.

1. Armored Core 6 - Fires of Rubicon (PS5): January 7. 25 hours. Rating: 9/10
The first mech game I've ever played, and my second favorite game of 2023 (after ToTK). Excellent controls and customization options, which made it fun to try out different builds when I got stuck. The story was also surprisingly captivating. I only did one ending, because I knew I would feel compelled to spend another 25+ hours getting 100% if I did another run - probably will someday!

2. Dragon Quest XI S Echoes of an Elusive Age (Switch): January 15. 75 hours. Rating: 9/10
My first Dragon Quest game and I had a great time. I love that there are still big-budget AAA JRPGs like this being made. The battle system was simple, yet fun to try out different configurations. I love all of the more modern QOL features they've sewn onto these old-school RPG mechanics (ultra-fast speed in battle, sprinting in the field, re-spec'ing skill points), and the world-building and characters really drew me in, even if the main plot was a little too bogged down by well-worn RPG tropes for my liking (the main character being both silent and the destined legendary savior of the world reincarnated...). I completed all three acts and all of the trials at the end, and had a great time in particular figuring out how to use different pep powers in a complementary way. I did the exp grind cheese to max my levels quickly at the beginning of Act 3, which made the whole last act a breezy romp. Excellent game that I wish they made more of these days; probably my 3rd favorite modern JRPG (only slightly behind Ni No Kuni 2 and Yakuza 7). The main issue I had was the awful music; even the orchestral versions are grating on my ears and it was shocking to me that the number of tracks is so low. It made no sense that the city theme was repeated in towns with vastly different climates and cultures and the field and dungeon music was also frequently repeated. I know the composer was quite old when he composed this OST, but it just feels so out of place as part of a package that is so lush with incredible art and world-building otherwise. Hopefully with a new lead composer this will improve in future titles.

3. Steamworld Dig (Switch): January 18. 8 hours. Rating: 8/10
Short and sweet. I love the movement in this game and the gameplay loop is very satisfying. Not particularly difficult nor is there a lot to this game, but the focused scope works well and has me excited for the sequel.

4. Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (Switch): January 20. 11 hours. Rating: 8/10
I'm not the biggest 2D platformer fan (I'm the only person I know who bounced off Mario Wonder) but I thoroughly enjoyed Shovel Knight. Beautiful presentation and responsive controls. I'm not the best at precision platforming, so I love how forgiving its checkpoint system is, making it less tedious to retry areas that were giving me trouble. I will probably play the other campaigns at some point, though I can only take so much platforming at once before I get frustrated with the genre, lol.

5. Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth (PS5): February 2. 52 hours. Rating: 10/10
This game made me feel like a giddy school child again. It grabbed me so hard for the first ~10 or so chapters, I didn't sleep much the weekend it came out. The characters, substories, and side content are excellent as always (seriously, who consistently writes more likeable and unique characters than RGG?), but the battle system in particular felt greatly improved with the addition of positional attacks and duo/chain attacks. I completed Dondoko island the first time the game took me there (8 hours straight) and they took their ridiculous meter to another level with Sujimon (which is the true Pokemon clone of 2024); the extent to which they reference Pokemon and parody it while making all the Sujimon and their trainers look ridiculous made it the most charming side activity they've ever made, which is quite an accomplishment. This is also the first time I felt an RGG game was out-of-this-world beautiful too and they nailed the aesthetic they were going for both visually and aurally in Hawaii. The main story was engaging the first 3/4 of the game, but trailed off for me toward the end as I really didn't care for the main motivations of the villains nor did I find them very compelling. The references to prior games/characters were powerful and hugely satisfying for fans who've played all the mainline games. Biggest complaint I have is the boring dungeons which are just hallways filled with enemies again; I would love them to do something interesting with them, maybe some more interactable or puzzle elements.

(As an aside, I played the Japanese dub and was very distracted by the ridiculous English voice direction of this version. I get why RGG studios always has ridiculous, over-enunciated, unnatural English in their Japanese dubs (to make it easier for Japanese players to understand), but I thought that now of all times they would try to make the English more natural since this is the first game taking place in the English-speaking world. I also wish they came up with some device (literary or literal) explaining why all these non-Japanese people speak fluent Japanese, like Kasuga getting an app on his phone with an earpiece that automatically translates for him or something. Bryce in particular was especially jarring since he's a white guy that speaks fluent Japanese and they just used his Japanese voice actor to read his English lines, which sounded ridiculous coming out of his mouth. The writers could've done some really cool things playing on the language barrier too. I also would've loved to hear Kuroda speak full English sentences lol. This really didn't have a big effect on my enjoyment of the game, though, just something that came up often.)

This game will be very tough to beat for my GOTY this year. In 2020, Yakuza 7 barely edged out FFVII Remake for me, and I think it will be a similar race this year.

6. Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intermission (PS5): February 10. 9 hours. Rating: 8/10
Played for the first time in the lead-up to Rebirth, since it's been almost four years since I played Remake and wanted to brush up on the story/characters/world. The combat here remains excellent and I enjoyed how different Yuffie felt and her shinjuku attacks added a whole other dimension to combat that makes her unique as it allows you to attack multiple characters at once even if they're not in the same AoE. The story and Yuffie's characterization of Yuffie were fine and pretty much what I expected going into it, but I was particularly impressed with the end when Sonon sacrifices himself for her and she feels both the loss of a friend/fellow Wutaian but also the frustration of being treated as though she needs protecting like a child. I'm sure this will lead to some significant character development in Rebirth when she finds her spot in the team. Also, I read some fan speculation that Sonon may turn into Azul from Dirge of Cerberus, and OMG I would die if they went there lol. I love how the dev team is really taking the time to develop side characters that didn't get much attention in the original game.

7. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion (Switch): February 11. 29 hours. Rating: 7/10
This is my first time playing, also in preparation for Rebirth. I was happy with it overall, though I got a little too invested in the side missions which became a total slog and resulted in me being way overpowered for the last ~40% of the game. You can tell this is a crusty old PSP game that they prettied up, but the combat, story, and character development kept me invested. I didn't like the dialogue at all for much of the game - it felt less refined/mature than what Square Enix has done lately (particularly in comparison to FF XVI), but it got better later into the game (especially with Zack's character growth). The DMW system was just fine, but I did get mildly addicted to the materia fusion mechanic and thought that's an interesting way to utilize all of the low-level loot you accumulate throughout the story and side missions. The game also played well enough on Switch and I got used to the 30 fps and lower quality textures/resolution.

8. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (PS5): Mar 10 (normal mode story playthrough), Mar 31 (Platinum trophy). 179 hours. Rating: 10/10
What a masterpiece. This is one of the best games I've ever played - probably in my personal top 5. The world and characters in the FF7 universe are so captivating and the team fleshed it out amazingly in this game. I feel confident that this is my favorite soundtrack of all time, and the story and presentation are incredible. The combat is my favorite in any action RPG and for the first time, I truly understand why fighting game fans will devote hundreds-to-thousands of hours to mastering their favorite characters. When I went through the brutal/legendary VR challenges and the later chapter boss fights on hard mode, it pushes you HARD and my thumbs are both strained, but I devoted myself to it because I just love this combat system so much. And I really just want to hang out in this game as long as possible; I'll probably go back and get the rest of the manuscripts and max out the bonds with each character because I just don't want to stop. It's not perfect (no game is) with some of the mini games and open-world activities being underwhelming, but they were easy to overlook since I was loving this world and 95% of the gameplay so much. I have a very difficult time seeing how they match this with the third game.

I didn't grow up with the original FF7 (didn't play it until 2021 (after beating Remake in 2020), and even then I haven't beaten it :P) but the Remake/Rebirth series has made me a huge fan.

9. Final Fantasy VI Pixel Remaster (Switch): April 7. 30 hours. Rating: 8/10
My first time playing this game. I've been aware of its reputation for a long time and I can definitely tell why this is considered a masterpiece. If I had played this ~15-20 years ago, it'd be one of my all-time favorites. It's bursting with optional content and playstyles that allow you to customize your party of 14 playable characters. This game is massive, made quite frictionless and pleasant by the QOL features of the remaster, which I took advantage of to avoid grinding and to turn off random encounters much of the time. I would've probably gotten more out of my engagement with the RPG systems if I hadn't used them, but I also worry that I would've grown tired of the game and not finished because these days I don't feel the motivation to pour >40 hours into an RPG that is so old and has been iterated upon and outdone (IMO) in the past 30 years. As a landmark in game design though, there's no denying the massive impact this game had and I'm so glad I experienced it. Still a great game to play in its own right today, not just a historical relic to study in a class on the history of RPGs.

10. Portal (Switch): April 8. 3 hours. Rating: 8/10
My first time playing this game. Puzzles are super clever and the characters and story twist were great. I was getting a little tired of the gameplay mechanics and loop by the end so I'm taking a break before trying Portal 2, which I understand people seem to hold in higher regard.

11. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (Citra): May 1. 30 hours. Rating 10/10
Holy hell what a masterpiece. I played through much of the game back in 2001 and 2011, but stopped both times around the Great Bay Temple, so this is my first time experiencing the whole game, including all the side quests and masks. I played this time with the Project Restoration and 4K texture pack mods and they completely bring this game up to modern standards in terms of technical quality and QoL features. I can't imagine how Nintendo could make a better version of this game than what these mods do to the 3DS version. The game itself is just magical. The world, characters, main plot, side quests, ATMOSPHERE, time loop mechanic, character progression, pacing, coherence between story and gameplay mechanics - all top notch. This is such a masterful game - and the fact it was made in 1 year is hard to believe. Hang this one up in the video game Louvre.

12. Metal Gear Solid (PS5): May 4. 10 hours. Rating: 7/10
My first time playing this game. Story, characters, atmosphere, and especially the pacing are top-notch and hold up well. The gameplay is very dated though and I found myself getting frustrated with it frequently. I'm excited to go through the rest of the sequels as the game design becomes more modern, though.

13. Super Mario Bros Wonder (Switch): May 5. 15 hours. Rating: 7/10
Very clever, super polished 2D platformer. Unfortunately, this is a genre I struggle to get into so it took me several months of chipping away at this game to get through it since I couldn't play more than an hour or so at a time. I'm really happy they decided to get weird and inventive with this one after the NSMB games and I completely understand why people love this game, it's just not for me.

14. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (Switch): May 11. 12 hours. Rating 7/10
My first Castlevania game. I really enjoyed the map, progression, and pacing, though the controls are clunky and the game did feel repetitive after a while. Thank god for the rewind feature; I would've gotten fed up with some of the cheap bosses and platforming in this game without it.

15. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Switch): May 13. 13 hours. Rating: 8/10
Definite improvement over Circle of the Moon. The soul mechanic works well and I enjoyed the weapon variety, which made the combat much more enjoyable. The music and sprite work/art direction are fantastic too.

Total: 15/52

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
18. Mini Mages (Evercade) - Cleared both the first and second loops. Another of Morph Cat's games, this one aping NES era games in more than just the looks! The goal is to climb each tower (stage) and reach the exit. You've got a range of enemies to evade or destroyed, each well designed as they are not only dangerous, but work well within the towers they are placed in - for example the snakes will run at you when you reach their level, these jumpy things will always leap vertically when shot at, demons and goats have arc'ed attacks that require specific positioning, skeletons that throw bones that bounce off walls several times etc. Nothing feels cheap, so it doesnt feel unfair but rather the good kind of challenging - the tough yet fair kind.

While you dont have much in the way of attacks in terms of quantity, you are far from weak. Your basic attack can take out most enemies quick, and the charge shot is even more powerful, making short work of bigger enemies. The charge shot also acts as a double jump as if you shoot it downward while jumping, you get a boost in height - this is INVALUABLE when it comes to more expert platforming - you can evade enemies and cut bits of levels out just by mastering this excellent atack.

At the end of each 3rd stage you have a boss fight. These are honestly fairly easy. If it werent for you only taking a couple of hits, there'd be a pushover.

Once you take out the fourth and final boss (which shows up in stage 4-4), you are thrust back into a more difficult second loop - yup its taking its cues from arcade games like Ghosts n Goblins.
The challenge here is again - fair. Its not insanely tough, but its definitely a challenge. You have a few blocks this time that are spikes so you need to dodge those obviously, and you have bosses who get new attacks/phases. These are definitely harder no doubt, but again they honestly dont feel cheap. The 3rd set of stages feel the toughest due to the lava, Id argue the last level is actually easier by comparison.

Overall its an incredibly tightly designed platformer that challenged me, and was darn fun for its duration. The later levels on the second loop definitely took me a few tries, but the more I played the better I got so Im not bothered. There's a expanded/DLC quest included on the Evercade cart that I need to get to, Im anticipating something even tougher! Something akin to Mario 2 (Japan) increase in difficulty compared to Mario 1!

19. LED Storm (ZX Spectrum) - Here's another port that actually got close to being good. But the fact that you need either a photographic memory, or the ability to see the future, to properly enjoy it sorta hurts the port. Its a top down racer (think Micro Machines) which has really sharp turns, and if you hit the wall your probably stuck (both figuratively and literally) and you end up blowing up, losing time/fuel and it makes the entire thing more difficult than it should...
I also have... doubts that the course design is accurate to the arcade version, which I do need to double check, but it seems that they mainly just copy/paste one course and make it slightly different each time, but keeping the silly sharp turns which are so hard to react to unless you already know they are coming.

Its a shame, the rest is fairly accurate to the arcade version. Its pretty fast, it handles well and it represents the basic design of the game accurately. But I just dont recall the game being this damn punishing... On my good days, I can pretty much 1CC the arcade game (both the beta and full release), but here there are courses that were basically impossible without save scumming and luck (since one life = game over).

*fake edit*
Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 to the rescue again! I booted up that version of LED Storm and yeah the port was botched, here's how:
Game is too fast. I praised the speed of the game above but turns out that's what's shooting me in the foot. The arcade version runs a tad slower, with what feels like wider roads too, which makes those sharper turns, less sharp. And easier to navigate. Also, jumps have arrows and barriers denoting where they are and where to go... this sort of stuff works phenomenally well to sign post where you need to go and makes the game so much easier by comparison.

Also not sure if health drain is faster in the computer port? Either way I cleared almost 6 stages (of 10) on one credit for the arcade version.

Lastly, the control is better in the arcades - the wall issues I mentioned dont really occur here because you can easily get away from walls on hit, while they just suck you in on the Spectrum port. So yeah... bad port of a good game. Shame.

Original Post:
www.resetera.com

Reserving post. May Yakuza 8 not harm my ability to finish too many games lol. 1. The King's Bird (PS4) 2. River City Rampage (Evercade) 3. Double Dragon 2 (Evercade) 4. Treasure Island Dizzy (Evercade) 5. Wonderland Dizzy (Evercade) 6. Mystery World Dizzy (Evercade) 7. Dizzy the Adventurer...

Next: likely Shovel Knight, Steamworld Dig, or Pikmin 4. I want some shorter games the rest of the month before the back-to-back behemoths of LAD: Infinite Wealth and FF7: Rebirth take all my gaming time in February/March.

Total: 2/52
All excellent choices, though depending on your level of completion, Pikmin 4 can go on for quite a while - its got a ton of content (said content is excellent) so Id recommend one of the other two instead since both are fairly short. Dig is the shorter of the two, but Shovel Knight is an absolutely amazing game that I cannot recommend highly enough!

Likewise, I know the feeling of mixing the shorter stuff with the RPGs, I reckon Im getting around 200+ hours from Yakuza 8 alone, but that's not counting FFVII and Persona 3, not to mention Ronin and Dragons Dogma 2... that's why it helps that Im playing lots of VR and retro stuff!

Plum

May 31, 2018
Main Post

capsule_616x353.jpg

GAME 4: The Exit 8
PC | Completed 15/1/24 | 1 Hour 20 Minutes Played | 5/10

Now, I was initially thinking about not putting this game on the list as, given that every review said it would be done in less than 30 minutes, I thought it might be cheating. My dumb-ass made it took 80. It's a very cryptic, very 'liminal-horror' title where you have a single puzzle to solve, and then a whole bunch of solving said puzzle. As a puzzler, I don't think it really works, and as a horror it only very-slightly unsettled at times. I can get what it was going for, but this just wasn't for me at all.

ApinchofSaltz

Oct 27, 2017
pMzkMNh.jpg

Game 4 - My Friendly Neighborhood
Time - 7.5 hours
Platform - Steam Deck
Score - 7.5/10

Game 5 - Gears of War Ultimate
Time - 9 hours
Platform - Xbox
Score - 8/10

Game 6 - Into the Breach
Time - 5 hours
Platform - Switch
Score - 8/10

Main Post

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game 8 - Myastere Ruins of Deazniff
Time: 6 hours
Platform: Switch
Rating: 5/10

Another 2d metroidvania, unfortunately this one wasn't very good, even for me a notable genre fanboy. For every good thing it has, it has two bad things to counter it which is really annoying. the 2d art and animation on the main character is pretty good, but most of the environments are super bland. The gameplay is neat since its mostly a shooter (so I guess its more metroid than castlevania in that sense) and you get a ton of different ammo and grenades to use, but its never clear which ones are better or why you should use them. The progression is weird and novel, as its basically a giant sandbox and you can go everywhere, but again, while novel, that just makes progression more annoying than it should be (especially when there's no fast travel). You have a hook from the start that you can use to get up to 90% of the map, but controlling the hook is super fiddly. Like I said, it's a constant 1 step forward 2 steps back with this game. Couple that with some of the worst translation I've ever seen in a game, and you get a overall very mediocre experience.

Main Post

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
81KbR7YKC-L.jpg

3. Ys Chronicles 2
Way, way too long. The final dungeon, Solomon Shrine, aka Temple of Ys, is 5 hours alone. Ys is supposed to be about snappy pacing and fast-paced action. This grinds to a halt about halfway through. It is kinda interesting, story-wise, though, which is uncommon for Ys. Enough that I'm wanting to replay Origin soon.

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Gotta start making my funny graphics again for these completions. i miss them. Anyways #3!

c29092a46b25eda8de0e39ca7348d48b.jpg

3. Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name
Wasn't planning on playing Gaiden, but I realized this is probably important to play before jumping into Infinite Wealth next week. I really enjoyed this shorter Sotenbori adventure and how it ties itself into Y7 and sets up Y8 on Joryu's side. Just a lotta fun with so many aspects of the game - the new agent combat style, the Castle content, and as always, the mini-games and substories. Now that this ones outta the way, I think I'm ready to be emotionally devestated by whatever they throw in the next one.

Now I gotta find something to fill the gap.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
20. Last Duel (ZX Spectrum & Amstrad CPC) - Another day, another US Gold port of a Capcom game. This time though... this is one Im not really all too familiar with or a big fan of. The most fun parts (even in these ports) are the bike sections, but LED Storm do those better (assuming you play the arcade version lol).

The game itself is a shoot em up - going from bike sections, to ship sections. The ship sections are straight ahead vertical scrolling shmups while the bike sections also add lite platforming and racing to them (because you have limited fuel). I'll focus on the Spectrum version to discuss why this game is sorta a mess on both stages:

First off, the game is pretty snappy speed wise. Good right? Well... no. Like LED Storm before, this game is too fast to see what's going on in the bike sections. Clearing parts without losing likes (one hit KO mind you) feels like luck, not skill. It gets worse when the jump needs to be used, as try as I might, I never figured out how to do it legit every time... save states sure helped my ass, but still trying to legit get good at the game felt like an unreachable barrier.
What makes this game worse is Spectrums limited colour palette used. Coupled with the speed, its almost impossible to see what's going on sometimes, honestly the game needed less detail in tracks and backgrounds, as stage 4 (a ship level) has enemies almost entirely blend into the background, its so hard just to see anything, again lending more luck than skill getting through these.
Jump ahead to the final stage (thankfully, its only 6 stages) - you have these ships that will spawn behind you and basically home in on you. They are technically possible to dodge, but the window is so small due to their speed, your huge hitbox, and their huge size - that actually evading them is a task unto itself. Thankfully Id saved my lives for the finale and I managed to basically cheese my way through those bits (but it still took several attempts.
The final boss was thankfully a complete joke.

Overall? I see potential, and Id imagine the arcade version plays at least half decent.... the game mainly falls over due to the Spectrum port being badly designed (which is par of the course for US Gold sadly).

Now the Amstrad version... I only got to the end of stage 4 here, because I had so many weird issues with the versions I tried that the first one got only to the stage 2 boss before it disappears, and then the other version I tried did the same at stage 4. So I cant judge 2 of the levels, but can comment on the game overall.
It still suffers the same control (jump) issues in bike mode, but aside from that it does show some promise. Graphically they have more colour, so issues with stuff melting into the background doesnt happen, which makes things easier in that regard.
Sadly the game runs terribly slowly. It does confirm that a slower pace DOES make it easier to play, but this runs so slow that levels feel so incredibly long you'd be forgiven for falling asleep during one lol.

21. Pixel Ripped 1978 (PSVR2) - Finally got off to a start with finishing my sizeable VR backlog. First up is this cool little nostalgia rush! Your trying to save the game world from an evil goblin, while using old Atari games, time travel is involved... its a headache to explain, but trust me its cool.

The main halves of the game are like this: As "Bug" you work at Atari, while the game character is trying to stop said evil goblin from rewriting time. When in the game world you explore things in 3D, fight baddies, engage in puzzles etc. and eventually you'll hit a roadblock and cant traverse any further. You can then go back to Bug who can play the games these worlds are based on, as old 2600 Atari cartridge games. When playing these games you can unlock new paths for your game self, rince and repeat.
Its a super cool way of not only handling puzzles, but having two very different gameplay styles which blend together perfectly. As someone who loves retro games (I mean, my completion list so far should make that very clear), the old Atari sections are brilliant. As you look around your work area you see posters and arcade cabs from various games of the time, and these 2D gameplay sections also are used for the boss fights, which have a sorta "Augmented Reality" feel to them, where you see your room/work area, and have the game world sorta overlayed on top of it in a really cool way (VR helps loads to sell this side of things - the sense of depth couldnt be achieved playing this on a normal TV).
As you go through the game you'll also help a friend bug test famous Atari releases, these set pieces again are cool nostalgia bait and serve to give you new powers - like a joystick with two buttons (sounds harmless, but remember the standard Atari stick only had one!), and even a button to flip in game gravity - this last one feels a little janky as your taking one hand off the stick and its easy to trigger it by accident sometimes...

The 3D game world stuff is great but honestly feels a bit more generic (save the last area, which is terrific), not helped by enemies taking way too much damage to defeat - Id have actually been happier with this side of things being puzzles only as the combat gets pretty monotonous pretty fast). The exploration and puzzles are good though so it'd have been nice if we had more of that, and less of the three types of enemies showing up to drag things out.

Overall, I loved it. Its only around 4 hours long (unless you look for all collectibles, I only got 75% of them), and aside the combat in certain parts it doesnt outstay its welcome. There's two other games in the series and I really wanna check both out!

22. Spider-Man 2 (Nintendo DS) - Another game based on the second Raimi movie, and this one is a real mixed bag. But I'll give it a bonus point for remembering what the movie was even about in the first place...

So its a new generation of handhelds! But this doesnt mean better gameplay, in fact Im gonna argue its actually taken a step back compared to the NGAGE and GBA version of the game. See - those two games had these things called "check points" and "level design". Two things that this one is sorta devoid of. Combat is somehow even more mashy and worse as well, and I legit thought that was impossible.

So seriously, the level design in this game is basic as fuck. A good 60% (AT LEAST) of the stages is the same New York map - which you traverse in a horizontal, two dimensional manor - going left to right or right to left. You'll get different missions sure - defeat all enemies, disarm all bombs, destroy all robots, save all people... but its the same map and the same basic missions since your hitting people and moving from same area to same area. And there's no compass... so get ready, yet again, to spend several minutes finding that one last thing you need... Most of my times on these missions, aside the timed ones, take a good 10+ minutes, and considering how one dimensional this game tends to be, that's... not good lol. The game does have a couple of different areas for some pivotal plot points - like Ock's lab, or the museum attack with Mysterio, but these are few and far between, and compared to the NGAGE version, its so lacking in level variety and content... And when we do get different areas to explore... its just saving people for two of the maps, and turning off terminals for the docks...
Oh, and just to throw the NGAGE one more positive bone - it did 3D better than the DS game did! If you recall, both GBA and NGAGE had moments where you could explore a 3D environment. Its basic and acts as just bits between the main 2D stages, but they were visually impressive (taking into account the hardware) and added variety. Here the game does render characters and environments in 3D, and you even have the camera panning when swinging through New York to show this off, but its still fully played from a 2D viewpoint. And Id argue that the graphics have aged worse - because Im always gonna stan sprites over primitive 3D character models.

And with regards to difficulty... there's no checkpoints. If you lose all your health in these long maze like/needle in haystack levels, back to the start for you... It gets really annoying in the final level (Docks) because there's a number of points where you'll be thrown into the water. You cant swim, you dont respawn and take damage, its just instant game over. Other versions of the game checkpoint, so the stuff you've done up to that point are saved. I suspect its done to yet again pad the game out.

What the DS does offer that the other versions dont, are touch screen mini games. And let me tell you, as someone who hadnt played a DS game in a long time, a launch one especially, Ive really forgotten how much I hate this shit! Its either operation style "move the thing without touching the sides" or "tap the screen to hit stuff". Its annoying and takes you out of the fights (when used in bosses), and really adds nothing beyond maybe younger me going "ooooooooo touch screen" around about when the game launched (should note I wasnt young when it launched, just very easily impressed).

Another mark against the game is the villain roster... outside of Ock there's only Vulture, Mysterio and... that's it? (I legit feel like Im forgetting someone but its not coming to me). Compare that to the half dozen other versions get, and remember - most of this game takes place in just that one level, and you can see that the game is really hurting for content. As mentioned above though, this game DOES remember that Doc Ock is the main villain of the movie and you do fight him more than once (unlike other handheld versions which ignore him until the finale) but it yet again ignores key set pieces just begging to be used as levels.

Overall I remember buying into the hype of this game... I still have my launch copy of the game and I seem to recall enjoying it (well, at least I think I did). But revisiting it and I reckon this'll be my least favourite version. There's just so little content here, the level design sucks, combat sucks, villain roster is barely there at all, touch screen stuff sucks... And despite all that... Id still say its an average to above average Spidey game. Why? Because I remember the really bad ones and this aint that. Controls wise its still fine, performance wise its a solid 60FPS, the game isnt that hard aside some silliness with a couple of mini games and the final level... so its perfectly fine to complete and didnt annoy me. Not like Revenge of the Sinister Six for the Master System. But I do hope the next Spidey game is an improvement... it doesnt need to be drastically better, just gimme better levels and villains lol.

Original Post:

arvan59

Aug 2, 2021
10584105-call-of-duty-2-big-red-one-playstation-2-main-title.jpg

3. Call of Duty 2: Big Red One (PS2) - 1/09

Was curious to give this one a try, considering its the first of these titles by Treyarch and its a spin-off game stuck on the 6th gen, but ehhh. it's janky, but not impossible to play. The levels themselves, however, are often weirdly laid out. A lot of missions involve going back and forth, repeating the usual objectives (escort, destroy x amount of thing), while engaging in constant firefights. Playing on hard made the checkpointing more noticeable as well. You're often given many checkpoints in quick succession, then left with 10-15 minute stretches involving multiple shootouts or setpieces that can result in instant death. Mostly frustrating, never really exceptional.

header.jpg

4. Frog Detective 2: The Case of the Invisible Wizard (PC) - 1/15 -1/16

Similar to the first in that the gameplay is a means to get to writing, but it's just so charming. The notebook is a cute addition that adds another layer to the jokes as each character's motives and descriptions are mixed in with Frog Detective's observations or rebuttals.

ps2_jamesbond007everythingornothing_widelg.jpg

5. 007: Everything Or Nothing (PS2) - 1/16

This was an interesting attempt to stand out amongst the prior 007 games and their Goldeneye-esque design. There's an original theme (which is pretty good!), a voice cast that includes Pierce Brosnan, Judi Dench, and Willem Dafoe, a new third-person perspective, and an attempt to replicate the scale and action of the contemporary Bond films.

I was surprised by how punishing it can be. Enemies can melt what little health you have, can occasionally spawn directly behind you, and appear in packs of dozens by the end of the game. The missions themselves are generally pretty short, often ranging from 5-15 minutes a level. This bite-size mission structure, combined with the game's difficulty, you are very often repeating levels from the beginning until you memorize each section. However, missions such as "Vertigo," achieve a kind of flow state in which you are rappelling up floors, running and gunning, and utilizing Bond's tech to get out of ambushes. Bizarrely, most of the story is kind of superfluous, just completely lacking in character despite the game's filmic ambitions and its casting (bring back Willem Dafoe as a Bond villain!)

Next is up is the final Frog Detective and a replay of Control and its DLC as I prepare myself for Alan Wake 2! Main Post

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Game 5 Prodeus
Release 2020 Platforms PS4. PS5. XBox Series, Switch and PC
capsule_616x353.jpg

68569d49abaea673802257fee4e512786076dc6d.gif
8721e4d632770636f0f8bceee94989e763621caf.gifv

Review Score
6/10

Prodeus was a random pick from the Playstation Plus catalog. I was in the mood for something different and it's been awhile since I played an classic arcade style FPS and that is exactly what Prodeus is. It is very much inspired by Doom. Prodeus by default has a really stylized classic sprite design that blends really well with it's aesthetic while still looking "next gen", however if that's not your thing you can actually activate the 3D models and turn off the various screen effects but I thought it was pretty cool. The gameplay is super hectic and fast pace very similar to Doom 2016. Although Prodeus still has old conventions such as health and armor pick ups and ammo is preloaded unto the maps. No health regen here. It does have a controversial check point system in that once activated on a map you can infinitly respawn there and pick up where you left off, which in turn makes Prodeus a rather easy campaign playthrough. That is if you don't care about ranks and unlocks.

The level design in Prodeus I thought was really well done. The maps and objectives are pretty varied and I thought that they did enough interesting stuff to push forward. The enemis are very much inspired by Doom grunts and imps and the like. So you know what to expect there. I do wish there was a tad more variety to them but it's functional to the gameplay. Prodeus though is longer than I wanted to be. There is about 30 stages and each one takes about 20 min to complete so I think it's a hefty campaign. The story is minamal and not even worth noting. I hope text box endings are to your liking. That's minor problem in a game like this as the moment to moment fighting was intense and completing the stages were fun, it just wears out after awhile. Overall it's a pretty solid Doom 2016 clone and if you really liked that and wanting more I'd say give Prodeus a try. I wish I could have tried the multiplayer but I couldn't find a room after so many tries.

Last edited:

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
<< Previous Post | Next Post >>

09d5b936da100fb0b96a2cdaa96a835e143b41b3e3ae0054.png
4. Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon | Jan 14 2024
Developer: FromSoftware
Genre: Action, mech customization

So, I didn't fully play through Armored Core. I played up to the part of Chapter 3 where the PCA shows up. I could only play AC6 in short bursts and every play session would wear me out, so eventually my husband played through the rest while I watched. (He had already platinumed the game by the time I decided to try it.) So I can't comment as much on the gameplay front. I will say that I don't know how I got through any of AC6, the game is so overwhelming and fast paced that I'm convinced it was not built for humans. I beat Balteus by flailing around. I had no strategy and I was screaming the whole time.

All that's left for me to comment on are the story and characters (and the fighting setpieces) and they were pretty great! Armored Core has a scale that simply fails the senses. When you think you've seen how big an autonomous structure can get, you get something 10 times bigger later on.

I found myself really liking the characters. They are pretty simple, but sympathetic. You're all in hell together, basically, on a desolate planet filled with war-mongering, greedy corporations, abandoned colossus machines that still want to fight you, and a sentient resource whispering sweet nothings into your mind. So all you have is each other. One of the endings made me cry because of a terrible fate that befell one of the characters. Armored Core is really cool and I'd like to go back to it one day when I can steel myself for another gameplay session. (It's a good thing missions are so short. The adrenaline could kill a person if they were any longer.)

805f36232ef79d4b1ccd0cc974048393.gif

Return_of_the_Obra_Dinn_logo-title.jpg

5. Return of the Obra Dinn | Jan 15 2024
Developer: Lucas Pope
Genre: Investigation, mystery, puzzle

Late to the party, but Obra Dinn is just as good as they say. A purely investigative game where you have to use every available detail, scour every available corner of an abandoned ship to figure out the identities of the 60 dead and disappeared crew. I was impressed with what I was able to decipher with the limited information, which turned into being impressed with Lucas Pope and his minimal gameplay design. Not too much is shown, not too much is revealed.

I would have liked for there to have been some explanation for the pocket watch and journal, but I understand it was only really there to serve the game and it's mechanics, and not really meant to be it's own mystery. Still though, I kind of wish there was more to the ending. Masterful game either way.

1*sdpQyW_ZqW2OYGJl08XtGg.gif

Last edited:

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland

Gonna try something a bit new with these update posts by actually having an image linking to the main post.

B9R3YcQ.png

MsaiwWx.jpg
2. Sonic Project 06 (Steam Deck) - January 17th (5 Hours)
My first Sonic game of the year, I'm sure there will be more to come. I really like Project 06. I first really got into it last year with the Silver release (yay first repeat already) and I definitely liked it a lot at the time but now I absolutely love it. As a remake of Sonic 06 it's basically perfect, keeping all of the things 06 did well (music, level design, etc.), but completely reinventing the gameplay based on the Adventure games with some things taken from Heroes and Shadow. It plays great and brings out the best parts of 06 without heavily changing things like level design or the basic ideas behind character abilities. It gets so much better when you try speedrunning it or going for score attack runs. The movement and controls here are absolutely immaculate, some of the best I've ever used in a 3d platformer. I got into speedrunning it for a bit last year and had a lot of fun learning the routes and seeing my times get better and better. This playthrough started from scratch though, a completely new save which I haven't done since originally playing through the game. It was pretty interesting going through these levels without always having all of the upgrades I'm used to, and I enjoyed going for score attacks here to ensure I got all S ranks. Shadow's Kingdom Valley was especially fun once I found out about the secret room that can give you over 100000 points if you don't drop your combo. I ended up getting over 200000 points by the end it. It might be a repeat from last year but I absolutely adore Project 06. It's one of my favourite games of all time and I'd definitely recommend giving it a go.

5/5

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
4: Mega Man Battle Network 3 (White). End: 1/19/2024.

I began playing the Mega Man Battle Network games as part of their Legacy Collection. After taking a break following beating 2, I came back to the franchise with 3 (White). The gameplay isn't all that different from 1 and 2, the narrative is kind of a mess (why does the game make a huge deal about Dex leaving, and then he comes back well before the final encounter?), and the translation/localization is still a mess. If I'm giving the impression that I hated this game, I want to assure you that I did not. I think these games are a blast. I'm gonna take a break before I jump into the second Legacy Collection, but don't be surprised when future games on my list include the later BN games.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
23. Spider-Man 2 (PSP) - Yes, its still various releases centering around the second Raimi movie, and this one I actually really enjoyed, despite its flaws.
First off - this is a proper 3D Spidey adventure. Not like the DS which was a worse 2D game compared to NGAGE and GBA. Its not fully open world like the Xbox etc. console version, but rather more like the first movie game (and previous Acti releases on the PS1) in that its a linear 3D level based adventure.

So first thing I have to get out the way, the camera sucks in this game. Its a problem with tons of PSP games sadly, because it lacks that second stick. You can move the camera with the DPAD but that's not easily reachable when playing.
Combat wise Id expected the game to play just like the 3D games that came before it, but nope, the combat is actually refined to the point where it actually works way better - moves dont miss enemies, you wont have enemies punching through you when attacking, you have a good moves list, air combos, and your actually pretty damn powerful to the point where goons really dont feel like a threat. Web moves are at a minimum sadly, its something the other 3D games did better, but thankfully they dont ask you to do any stupid gimmick stuff on bosses like Spidey 2 (Enter Electro) did.

Boss/Villain wise... its fairly straight forward and similar to the console game - Shocker, Rhino, Mysterio, Vulture and of course, Doc Ock show up. The plot is straight forward with most just working for Ock, aside Mysterio whose mad at Hollywood (fair enough lol). Boss fights are actually surprisingly good in this one. I was expecting them to feel messy, like the first console movie game (or again, worse like EE was) but here they are tightly designed, and feel like the characters they are based on. A shocking (sorry) favorite is how Shocker & Rhino are handled - ending up as a fight against both together, where you basically have to evade attacks to begin with so that the two basically attack each other. It works surprisingly well, and the fights feel good and well thought out. Mysterio is pretty darn good as well with a mix of decoys and his size changing abilities. Ock sadly is the weakest due to the fight feeling a bit janky, but its still solid and the best of his fights so far in these handheld ports.

Level wise its a mix of web swinging and action (fighting) stages while usually accomplishing a second goal (bomb defusing and hostage saving are still present and correct!). Interestingly, despite being a sequel, I did spy a number of repeat design choices from the first movie console game - for example when chasing Doc Ock just before the iconic Train sequence, you have a mission at the train station - this is clearly taken from Shocker's encounter in the first game. And for Vulture, his fight is basically identical for the most part to his fight in the first movie game, though his last phase is actually all new.
A couple of levels also have you crawl around - the bank for example has a big focus on dodging the laser grid, sorta like Oscorp in the first game only way more forgiving and much more well designed/fun.

The levels do suffer from being fairly short. I feel this was done because its a PSP game, and those games were often made smaller as they focus on portable play. Does it hurt the game? Not really, just means it doesnt outstay its welcome.

Honestly, while the game isnt exactly the most amazing Spidey game around, I still had a great time with it. Camera aside the experience felt fair and polished, villains were fun to fight, music was strangely good, and there's really not one part I can point out as being badly designed. Still a 7/10 game, but one Id absolutely replay many more times!

Gonna take a Spidey break for a little while since the only Spidey 2 version left is the console version, and Ive got Yakuza showing up in less than a week! Time to get back to the handheld TMNT playthroughs!

Bonus. Bobl (Evercade) - This one was shorter than I expected, short enough that it feels more like Morph Cat's demo game, than something like Mini Mages which was more fully fleshed out. Regardless though, its an excellent game that I do wish was longer.

The game itself is a Metroidvania, but... you play as a bubble. You cant survive out of water, and can pop against walls, so you have to very carefully navigate the game's map, searching for powerups to reach new areas (as in traditional Metroidvania fashion). The power ups you can get are: the ability to descend deeper underwater to reach new areas, a double jump (of course!) and a move that turns your bubble into an iron ball to destroy weak blocks and also serve as one (and ONLY one) extra bounce on land - so basically you can jump out of water, bounce once on land, and then back into another water source.
The power ups all come together swimmingly and exploring this small map is a blast.

In fact, that's the only disappointment with the game - its short. You'll probably get between 30-60 minutes (depending on if you get lost/have difficulties) and before you know it, you've reach the end. When I reached said end area I thought Id finally made it out of the starter area and was moving into the next area, only for the game to end!

Bonus. Spacegulls (Evercade) - Another very short indie title from Morph Cat, so another bonus "number" (though lazy me isnt keeping count lol). This is a flick screen platformer where you play as a seagull in space. You can fly and... well that's it actually. You can Mario bounce on enemies, but other than that, nothing else! No extra power ups like Bobl here, you just need to successfully navigate each room - avoiding spikes, taking out enemies, finding keys and the like. Again, you'll be done in no time and again it feels like the game is just getting started. The room structures are mainly either finding a key or taking out all enemies, and you quickly face off against plenty of different enemies, and the room designs do a great job of challenging you later on (spikes everywhere!) so you need to consider the best way on bouncing the enemies to avoid damage).

This one I enjoyed less than the other games on the Morph Cat Evercade cart. Its solid dont get me wrong - nice pixel art, perfect feeling controls, but with no power ups and very little variety in rooms, you'll get through this one quickly, probably without losing that many lives either (I think I lost 2?). I feel like this is the type of game that needed to be more like Super Meat Boy - keep the game design as is, just add in tons more levels that get more intricate as you go. I loved what I played, but again I was left wanting more.

Original Post:

chum

Jan 12, 2024
All excellent choices, though depending on your level of completion, Pikmin 4 can go on for quite a while - its got a ton of content (said content is excellent) so Id recommend one of the other two instead since both are fairly short. Dig is the shorter of the two, but Shovel Knight is an absolutely amazing game that I cannot recommend highly enough!

Likewise, I know the feeling of mixing the shorter stuff with the RPGs, I reckon Im getting around 200+ hours from Yakuza 8 alone, but that's not counting FFVII and Persona 3, not to mention Ronin and Dragons Dogma 2... that's why it helps that Im playing lots of VR and retro stuff!

Thanks! I went with those two and happy I did! It's easy to see why so many consider Shovel Knight a classic.

Short and sweet. I love the movement in this game and the gameplay loop is very satisfying. Not particularly difficult nor is there a lot to this game, but the focused scope works well and has me excited for the sequel.

I'm not the biggest 2D platformer fan (I'm the only person I know who bounced off Mario Wonder) but I thoroughly enjoyed Shovel Knight. Beautiful presentation and responsive controls. I'm not the best at precision platforming, so I love how forgiving its checkpoint system is, making it less tedious to retry areas that were giving me trouble. I will probably play the other campaigns at some point, though I can only take so much platforming at once before I get frustrated with the genre, lol.

Next: Crisis Core FFVII Reunion

Total: 4/52

Original Post

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I went with those two and happy I did! It's easy to see why so many consider Shovel Knight a classic.

Next: Crisis Core FFVII Reunion

Total: 4/52

Original Post
Glad to hear you enjoyed both Shovel Knight and Steamworld Dig. They are great little indie games that ooze charm! Steamworld Dig 2 is an amazing sequel, should you want a more fleshed out version of Dig.

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
Chd4U9V.jpg
06 | Glass Masquerade 3: Honeylines
PC | Jan 13 | 7.8 h | 5/5

Another fun addition to Glass Masquerade. I enjoyed the different shapes and game difficulties. There's more options how you want to play here.

It's been awhile since I have played the previous two games so I can't remember what's all new or previously seen before. But I always have a relaxing time with these beautiful games and that's all that matters to me.

Xj8qZRw.jpg
07 | Sticky Business
PC | Jan 14 | 18 h | 4/5

Fun and creative concept for a game. It's relaxing; the management side isn't complex. The more you play and try to unlock, it can get very repetitive. However, it's not gonna stop me from buying the DLC in the future.

My one negative is the difficulty to earn hearts to buy new stickers. You can earn them if you packaged the stickers in an order, but they HAVE to be bought. No free stickers. It makes the currency feel sparse and a drag to earn.

It would be nice to see some quality of life additions:
-organize tray to quicker find your orders
-edit existing stickers instead of starting from scratch
-more xp for larger, complex stickers
-old orders in front of new

X6Wov53.jpg
08 | Glass Masquerade: Halloween + Christmas DLC
PC | Jan 14 | 1 h | 3/5

Revisiting the first Glass Masquerade after the newest one felt more of a struggle than I anticipated. The refreshing UI and organization of the main menu in the new games is fantastic. The old system isn't great. The DLC is scattered and difficult to find.

I keep seeing reviews of players saying the new GMs are too easy and they need to go back to the original. I don't agree with that opinion. The old game feels more difficult because the board is smaller, the pieces are smaller and the art is abstract. It makes the puzzles feel more difficult because everything is small and it's hard to picture what you're creating in the first place. I'm glad the new GM games have evolved to what they are now. I appreciate it more.

09 | Glass Masquerade: Heritages DLC
PC | Jan 18 | 2.5 h | 3/5

I enjoyed this batch of puzzles than I did with the Halloween DLC. Not more to say; it was still enjoyable.

10 | Glass Masquerade: Inceptions DLC
PC | Jan 18 | 1.8 h | 3/5

More puzzles!

Main Post

Last edited:

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Game 6 The Last of Us Part: II Remastered
Release Data 2024
Platforms PS5

960x0.jpg

ZXx4RmPWQSSleYD0M4_UatA2f3nND5xL6dMFi16apmw.gif
abby-tlou2.gif

Review Score:
7/10

I don't really have much to say about the campaign than what I really already said about in my original review. I mainly here to check out the updates and the No Return mode that was added. A ten dollar price tag to upgrade was pretty nice. The extra's here are really good and you get quite a bit of content, especially if your a first timer. There's a lot of reasons to replay here. I especially love the commentary features and behind the scenes podcasts you can listen to while you play.

As for No Return mode ultimately I am not a fan. Which is a shame cause the gameplay is as good as ever but I feel like the RNG on this mode is really bad. It's fun playing as the other characters with their own uniuqe skills and loadouts. It really does kinda feel like a Last of Us version of a Resident Evil minigame. The best part of Last of Us part 2 is the gameplay. Although the balance is all over the place. Some stages are really easy and give you a ton of loot and others enemies just infinitly spawn in aggression in the most inconvient places. I think the vast majority of the time I died was from instant deaths from clickers spawing from behind me. A lot of the stages force you to play a certain way and it can be over really fast in your favor or not. I found it more frustrating than anything. I would have a thrilling stage of cat and mouse with a enemey set then load up in the next stage and immeaditly lose. Some gametypes are much harder than others. Invisible enemies was the worst. I can see why others like it but to me it's appeal is fleeting. As soon as I get into a run it's over. Even when you when it feels empty, not much to work towards. It's a fine distraction from the main game but it's not something I'm going to put time into.

Platinum #202

Last edited:

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
1. Diablo 4 (Xbox): 8.5/10 Took a long time to close the deal here, but the Diablo formula is alive and well. Gorgeous and a lot of effort was clearly put into the campaign. Looking forward to expansions in the future!
2. Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (Xbox): 8/10 This should be higher because the gameplay is fantastic, but the number of bugs is too many to ignore. That said, Ubisoft nailed the movement and exploration in this game. Bosses were an excellent challenge. They probably could have doubled the fast travel points.
3. Final Fantasy VII Intergrade (PS5): 7/10 An okay DLC that is only okay because if Yuffie. The combat system is still tremendous.

1. Grounded (Xbox) 9 I might be underrating this. Spent 150+ hours having a wonderful time with friends and son.
2. Final Fantasy Theatrhythm Final Bar Line (Switch) 8 I'll finish this eventually by completing all songs, but saw credits and we'll worth it.
3. Metroid Prime Remastered (Switch) 7 Maybe a bit harsher than it should be, as most of the game is great. But the artifadtnhunt and the general lack of a useable map really grates on you the last quarter of the game.
4. Goldeneye (Xbox) 5 Held up better than I thought, but still feels very old.
5. Zelda Picross (3DS) 6 I was hoping for more music, and really the overall,game is pretty pretty slight. Picross is still fun.
6. Katamari Damacy (Xbox)
7. Sea of Stars(Xbox)
8. The Messenger (Switch)
9. Cocoon (Xbox)
10. Vampire Survivor (Xbox)
11. Planet of Lana (Xbox)
12. TMNT: Shredder's Revenge (Xbox)
13. Goldeneye (Xbox)
14. Elden Ring (Xbox)
15. Super Mario Bros. (Switch NSO)
16. Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
17. Super Mario RPG (Switch)
18. Pikmin 4 (Switch)
19. Dave The Diver (Steam)
20. Steamworld Build (Xbox)
1. Tetris Effect Connected (Xbox) 8 Probably the best Tetris I've ever played. Gorgeous visuals and amazing soundtrack. Just wish it was longer!
2. Dead Cells (Xbox) 8.5 FINALLY got over the hump with this one. Not sure if it just helps playing this on the TV with Xbox vs the Switch, but it seemed much easier this time around. A ton of fun and I'll buy the DLC just to vary the experience.
3. The Forgotten City (Xbox) 7 My first game like this. Enjoyable, and I'd recommend it to anyone who just wants to enjoy a good mystery.
4. Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS5) 8 Great combat, great story, nice length. Took a while to actually hook me, but really solid once it does.
5. God of War (PS5) 7.5 Honestly, I don't think this lives up to they hype. Kratos is a lot of fun, but it was pretty easy and straightforward. After 20 hours on completion, I didn't have much pull to come back and finish more of the world.
6. Picross S7 (Switch) 7 Just another one, and I love it.
7. Cuphead (Switch) 8 I'm so happy I beat this, but I don't think I want to play anymore. Wonderful, beautiful game that can be pretty frustrating
8. Guardians of the Galaxy (Xbox) 7 The combat got tired pretty quickly, and the exploration was solidly just okay, but a fun story propels this one.
9. Pokémon Legends: Arceus (Switch) 7.5 A fun experience for my first Pokémon game. Nothing earth shattering, but an addictive good time.
10. Horizon: Forbidden West (PS5) 8 At this point it's all about a fun story. The combat is good, in the end this game really felt A LOT like Zero Dawn. Maybe I did a few too many side quests, but felt like about 10 hours could have been chopped off. Still, I'll be there for the third one.
11. Triangle Strategy (Switch): 9.5 see below
12. Far: Changing Tide (Xbox): 7 I know people like the first, but this was just ok for me. Didn't really hit.
13. Triangle Strategy (Switch) New Game + Golden Route: 10/10 An all time classic for me. A masterpiece to sit next to FFT. No, it's not perfect, but anything I might complain about pales in comparison to how much it does riot. Story, music, variety of jobs, combat.. all top shelf. Please keep making games like this!
14. Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion (Xbox): 6 Funny writing, but pretty basic game that's spiced up by the art.
15. Wild at Heart (Xbox): 7.5 Neat atmosphere, but kind of ran out of steam.
16. Yoku's Island Express (Xbox): 8 Surprisingly great game. Never thought pinball Metroidvania would be fun, but here we are.
17. Ori and the Blind Forest (Xbox): 8 Love this game and series. Coming back to the first, the sequel is better.
18. Tunic (Xbox) 7 Combat is just bad, and there's a lot of it. Puzzles are great, and sometimes the game is too esoteric, but that part of the game overall is excellent. But there's just a lot of(bad) combat that weighs this down
19. Trek to Yomi (Xbox): 6 Beautiful, kind of boring beat ''em up.
20. Unpacked (Xbox): 7.5 Breezy game when you have nothing better to do.
21. Tomb Raider (Xbox): 7 Pretty simple game. Not sure if I'll continue this series.
22. Hollow Knight (Xbox): 9 see next
23. Hollow Knight- (Radiance Completion) (Xbox): 9.5 This took a long time to really love. I liked it when I beat it on Switch years ago, but for some reason this really clicked with me this run. Incredible game.
24. Cuphead (Xbox): 8.5 Decided randomly to master Cuphead, and it was way more fun this time around.
25. Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course (Xbox): 8.5 Really nice cherry on top to the base game.
26. Power Wash Simulator (Xbox) 7 My love and vice. Incredibly addictive, but not sure I'd recommend it because of that!
27. Klonoa (Switch) 6 I had great memories of this, but honestly it's pretty aged at this point.
28. Tinykin (Xbox) 8 Lovely game that was a great relaxing companion to Returnal
29. Returnal (PS5) 9 The best "Sony" game I've played in years.
30. Portal 2 (Xbox) 8 Super interesting and clever, but happy to be done. Great writing.
31. Theatrhythm (3DS) 7 Nothing really special about this except the music, which is amazing. We'll worth it for that.
32. Picross S8 (Switch): 7 Same game, still love it.
33. Doom 2016 (Xbox Cloud): 8 Coming back after Eternal, it's more shallow than I remember, but still a blast. First game I beat via Cloud Gaming! There were a few hiccups, but considering the game I was amazed at how well this ran on the Series S Cloud.
34. Kirby Canvas Curse (3DS)
35. Vampire Survivors (Xbox)
36. Picross 3D (3DS)
37. Sonic Frontiets (Xbox)
38. Aliens: Fireteam Elite (Xbox)
39. Firewatch (Xbox)
1. New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe 8/10: It's a bit tired formula, but I still had a blast beating this with my 8 year old son.
2. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order 9/10: This caught me by surprise by how well done this was. I'll be there for any Respawn sequel
3. Donut County 6.5/10: A fun, simple concept that's unfortunately pretty thin. Funny writing, and very brief.
4. Pikmin 3 Deluxe 8/10: I love Pikmin, and playing through this with my kid was a lot of fun. I wish it were longer, but I haven't played the side stories. Maybe I'll go back.
5. Diablo 3: 9/10: I spent most of my Winter playing this again with friends online. Great way to spend the pandemic in a cold winter.
6. Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 9.5/10: I finally played this after years of hearing about it. It deserves all the accolades - a truly landmark game even in 2021. Unforgettable characters and story. While I appreciated walking through a living city like Novigrad, the heart of the game is outside of city walls for me. I need a break, but will definitely return for the DLC this year.
7. Pikmin 8/10: I 100%'ed this one in about 36 hours. It's a classic, and deserves to still be played. Great way to spend a weekend.
8. Metal Gear Solid 8/10:All time great game for its time. But man this hasn't aged well. The story is still wonderful
9. Metal Gear Solid 2 8.5/10: another all timer, but this also feels old. Better controls, better looks, and the story is still batshit insane.
10. Hades 9.5/10: a pretty close to perfect game. I might burn out on this quickly, but this deserves all its accolades. A completely FUN game - story, gameplay, art, music. It's the whole package. My hands hurt from playing it so much!
11. Cyber Shadow 7.5/10: it's a good game, but it's difficulty means I could only play in small doses. Took about 2 months for the motivation to beat it, and it was a challenge all the way to the end. Hardest game I've beaten in years.
12. Carrion 7/10: Fun game where the novelty wears off about halfway through. Controls get really messy when you're the extra large monster, and having a map would have been nice. Still, good fun.
13. Sea of Thieves 8.5/10: one of the mainstays of the pandemic, and finally finished the Tall Tales. Playing with buds is fantastic - just hanging out and sailing around. Wonderful game loop and I'll be continuing on with the Pirates expansion.
14. Picross S6 7/10: More fun Picross not much new, but I'll be here for 7.
15. Metroid: Zero Mission 8/10: I've owner this forever and never played it. A lot of fun, and this must have been incredible to play handheld in 2001. Still holds up, if for only a few annoying backtracks. Hoping to beat one Metroid a month in the lead up to Dread.
16. Metroid: Samus Returns 7.5/10: I bought this back in 2017 but abandoned it after a few hours, and I understand why now. It's just a bit too long for my taste, which means you spend a lot of time as "weak" Samus before powering up. I ended up 100%ing this, but it took some patience to really love it.
17. Super Metroid 7.5/10: I'm shocked to say this really did not hold up as well as I expected. I figured this was still an easy 9/10. Maybe coming off the other two, the missing QOL was more noticeable. Still an incredible achievement for 1994, but I'm looking forward to the more "modern" Fusion to finish this off.
18. Mario Golf: Super Rush 5.5/10: A completely competent if uninspiring golf game. I'll probably play this online with friends and if updates come, but really nothing special.
19. Celeste 9.5/10: This is my second playthrough, as I beat it at launch on the Switch. Revisiting this on GamePass is a blessing. An absolute, stone-cold classic. Gameplay , story, challenge, music. It's the full package. I'm probably going for the B sides this time around, and might cheat and count that as a separate game completed if it do.
20. Death's Door: 8/10: Really beautiful and wonderful sounding game that plays well. The levels can be a bit of a maze, but the combat is satisfying. They've built a really nice world, so I'd love a sequel.
21. Halo (MCC) 6.5/10: My first ever Halo, and it's pretty aged at this point. I played it on easy with my son, and we had good fun running through the campaign. It definitely suffers from rooms looking the same and not much enemy variety. The warthog run at the end was just terrible. Still, it's fun playing a game like this coop, so we'll probably move on the 2.
22. Picross S Master System and Genesis 7.5/10: another one, but a bit more fun with the Sega theme. I'll continue to buy everyone of these without shame.
23. Axiom Verge 2 7.5/10: I still don't love this series, but this entry is much more enjoyable than the first. A fun metroidvania with a drone added, but the incredibly convoluted story just tests your patience. That said, I'm sure I'll buy 3 if and when it comes.
24. Doom Eternal 8.5/10: Boy, this is tough to grade. It was so challenging that I took a 6 month break in the middle of the game, and frankly it's surprising I came back to finish it. The change from Doom 2016 to a much more methodical path to success takes serious adjustment. However, once it clicks, it's amazing.
25. Psychonauts 2 9/10 Everything in this game is outstanding aside from the combat. The story and art direction are so good my kids liked watching the game like they like watching cartoons. It handled so many difficult, mature themes so well that it's shocking it's able to carry this high standard the whole way through the game. Love love love this game.
26. Pictooie 4/10 I love Picross, but the load times and ease kill this one. It's just odd having 10-15 second load times entering and exiting each puzzle.
27. Warioware: Get It Together! 5/10: I may raise this score in the future once I play more multiplayer, but as of now, color me unimpressed. Fun concepts that don't really gel together into anything meaningful. The "story" is so thin it probably could just be dropped. There's fun to be had, but it feels very half-baked.
28. Murder By Numbers 6/10
29. Metroid Dread 9/10
30. Hades 9.5/10 Replay for Xbox, still amazing
31. Zelda: Breath of the Wild 10\10 Finally finished Master Mode, still the greatest ever.
32. It Takes Two 8.5/10: Took about 6 months to play through with my wife, and it's excellent. A surprisingly long game, and while there were some jaunts in the middle that felt like the game was running out of steam, it REALLY finishes strong. I don't think I've ever played anything like this where two-player gameplay is so well thought out. Hopefully we'll find another game to play through together.. Though I will say, these people probably shouldn't stay together!
33. Doki Doki Literature Club 6.5/10
34. The Last Campfire 6/10
35. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night 8/10
36. Forza Horizon 5 8.5/10
37. The Gunk 6/10
38. Deathloop 8.5/10
1. Blossom Tales 6.5/10
2. Heave Ho 8/10
3. Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair 8/10
4. Diablo 3 9/10
5. Untitled Goose Game 7.5/10
6. Picross S 7/10
7. Picross S3 7/10
8. The Touryst 6.5/10
9. Animal Crossing New Horizons 8.5/10
10. West of Loathing 4/10
11. Final Fantasy VII Remake 9/10
12. Trials of Mana 7.5/10
13. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition 8.5/10
14. Picross S4 7/10
15. Ghost of Tsushima 8/10
16. Picross S2 7/10
17. A Short Hike 8/10
18. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword 7.5/10
19. Super Mario 64 8/10
20. Super Mario Sunshine 6/10
21. Super Mario Galaxy 9/10
22. Super Mario Galaxy 2 10/10
23. Mark of the Ninja Remastered 7/10
24. Picross S5 7/10
25. Ori and the Will of the Wisps 9/10
26. Wide Ocean, Big Jacket 8/10

Last edited:

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN POST

1-Spider-Man-2.png

Spider-Man 2 (2023)
Developed by: Insomniac Games
Published by: Sony Interactive Entertainment

Following in the footsteps of the last two Spider-Man games, Insomniac plays it mostly safe in a good but not great follow up to 2018's smash hit. Everything that was great about playing the first two games is still great here. There is nothing like swinging around the city, zipping through air tunnels, or just free falling from the tallest building in New York because the traversal in these games is unmatched. Combat is still fluid and fun, but the game has too many moments, especially towards the end, that overwhellemed me and made me feel like my inputs were not being registered. The number of times I felt I had doged an attack only to be hit by five other enemies surrounding me was frustrating and made me want to quit. This feeling is not help but a slow but unfocused first half, followed by a breakneck paced second half. The story is nowhere near as good as the original and even in someways a step back from Miles Morales, who gets shortchanged a lot in this game. Don't let the marketing fool you, this is a Peter Parker story with Miles feeling like an required addition as apossed to a character with as full of an arc as Peter. Overall, I enjoyed my time with most of Spider-Man 2 and am looking forward to both the next full sequel as well as any add on story content Insomniac wants to send our way, I just wish this games story made me feel the way the first one did.

2-Cocoon.png

Cocoon (2023)
Developed by: Geometric Interactive
Published by: Annapurna Interactive

Review Coming

I like your completion design. Framed well, text has great feel and the thumbtack with shadow really completes it!

Plum

May 31, 2018
Wozzer I apologise for the (likely) double @. I first was asking whether an update would be OK, but I figured that it would be fine anyways. Added an obvious disclaimer to make things clear what this is. Sorry for the bother!

Main Post

This is an update on my progress regarding a - quite, frankly - gargantuan game. As such, I will not be counting this as a 'completed game.' But, since I have many thoughts, I figured I'd post it here anyhow mainly for my own personal records.

capsule_616x353.jpg

UPDATE: Baldurs Gate 3 - Act 1 | Completed 21/01/24 | 35 Hours Played

And with that, I am done with Act 1 of Baldur's Gate 3.

Wow.

I know that I'm still only 1/3rd of my way into the game, but this has felt like more of an adventure than many full games I've played before. I'm incredibly intrigued to see how this story plays out, and how all these conflicting groups and such intertwine when I finally get to the titular city. Also very impressed by just how 'consistent' everything feels despite the fact that there's so much going on. Outside of stuff like (romance weirdness) me having already started a romance with Shadowheart, but she sees me as less-good than before because of the approval system (any way I can help that?), it genuinely feels like this is 'my' story here, even if it's ostensibly just the same sorts of choices made in other games.

As for gameplay itself, I'm finally getting into a groove with things and finding how I like to play. Got my Tav on support/vibes duty as Bard, Karlach/Lae'zel on 'hit things very hard' duty, and then a mixture of Gale, Shadowheart and/or Astarion throwing out some more ranged DPS and support. I'm also really surprised to see just how rewarding genuine exploration is here. It's refreshing to play a massive RPG like this where its 'levels' are not made to be returned to constantly, but are simply large, complicated steps along your journey. Genuinely I can't really think of any titles that structure their worlds in this way, especially at this scope. It reminds me of all that I loved about pre-Elden Ring From games, but much, much grander and with far more to do than just 'kill enemies.'

Honestly, the one thing I have to criticise here at the moment is how it feels like, if you are thorough enough, you can find 'everything' in a single playthrough. 40 hours in Act 1 meant that I've seemingly seen practically everything these starting areas have to offer, which definitely lowers the incentive for future playthroughs. It also leads to sometimes exploring unnaturally due to the FOMO that comes from knowing what you might be missing. I know it's weird but I think I'd have preferred more points-of-no return and genuinely hidden areas based on what you choose, who you side with, your class, etc. Also did get hit with some bugs, including one I had just an hour ago where - after deftly defusing (i.e. 'destroying') a trap, my Tav, and Gale, were seemingly banished to the Shadow Realm. Not dead, or knocked out, they were just... gone. Hopefully there's not too many more.

But, despite all that, this is still my definite GOTY (from last year now lol) without a doubt. I've 'only' played 35 hours of the game so far, but those 35 hours have felt like a genuine adventure in a way few other games feel like. Everything is so precise, so elaborate, and so 'new' that it consistently surprises. Each quest is a short-story and each area a novel; all combining together to make that feeling of 'adventure.' I think after the combat depth, story choices, and what-not, that is the key defining feature I'm going to think of when I'm - eventually - done with the game.

So, whilst I will be taking a decent break from the game to play some other titles, I will be coming back to it, and I bloody-well look forward to doing so.

Until then...

tumblr_p4it4bRALy1ru8yv8o5_540.gif

Last edited:

Emkaset

Jan 5, 2024
4. Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy (Switch version)

While waiting for Amazon to finally send me Another Code, I replayed Layton's Mystery Journey on the Switch. I had already played it on Android before, but I've been wanting to play it again for a while. I see a lot of people criticize this game, but personally, I love it. The cases are short enough to complete in one go, and the feel-good vibe is really enjoyable. I would really appreciate a new installment in the series. Maybe I'll try the anime.

Oh, and also, this theme is amazing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkyKmVFKNjs

main post

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
374bf35febfe7eea9b7bb9965779db25.jpg

main post!!

#04 | Sludge Life

This is a really short game (beat it in under 2 hours), but man, I loved every minute of this. You walk around and explore this scuffed city-island structure while living your best degenerate life. Smoke some cigarettes, do some graffiti, and talk to the various residents loitering around. The big stand-out to me is the visual flair. It's got this very grungy graffiti style going for it, pushed through a super wonky VHS filter that makes it feel like an absolute vibe to be immersed in. Sequel's going on the list 100%.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
3. AEW: Fight Forever ★★

exploding18.gif

at least the game delivers a better explosion than reality did

For a wrestling federation that could be seen as priding itself on its impressive ability to air multiple 20 plus minute bouts of technical prowess on a weekly basis compared to the stop/start weekly WWE matches, it's ironic to find that the AEW game is more akin to the usual treatment of their women's division (and WWe's women's tag division while I'm at it), matches over all too quickly and leaving a ton of promise on the potentially flaming table.

Which is to say that Xbox throwing this title up for a free weekend was all the time I needed to plumb the shallow pool of content that makes up this lacklustre package. Admittedly me pinning my hopes on this game to deliver the first at least good enough wrestling game since like, I dunno, 2010 being generous, had been softened when it turned out that WWE giving 2K a year off was all they needed to make something decent as WWE2K22 finally ended that drought, and a good thing I got that fix I suppose because Fight Forever falls very much short of its lofty goal of being the modern day WWF No Mercy, a game that even those who rightfully balk at this carny business could enjoy.

It's easy to point out the lacking content and barebones customisation options here in Fight Forever, no one should expect this title to come at the sheer content suite of its closest and far more financed WWE counterpart mind you, yet even so, the create a wrestler offers less than your standard action game character creation tool. The game's single player campaign of sorts is four chapters of esoteric and narrative nonsense with no sense of flow or continuity between them.
I started off immediately winning the women's championship in match 1 with no build up, dropped the belt, got embroiled with the dark order and won the men's midcard belt which I never defended as I instead found myself selecting Luchasaurus as my budding partner to tag with before an inevitable betrayal, and finally ended the journey overcoming a bullying angle as a peak anticlimax, the entire time I'm wondering "so am I still TNT champion or what?".
Seemingly each of the four chapters has around three other possible plotlines but I wasn't sticking around to experience them, the writing of this mode is pretty dismal with a completely non serious tone that loses any sense of storyline engagement, opting for cheap pops and smarky dialogue, so like my WWE create a story mode plotlines from the aforementioned 2010 wrasslin' game then, except in an official product, this is not a good thing!

Really though that wasn't the draw of this game, the gameplay foundation was always the big hook for Fight Forever, bringing back Yukes into the wrestling game fold who despite a rough decade have certainly delivered titles a rung barely below the vaunted No Mercy with Day of Reckoning and Smackdown Here Comes the Pain (anyone completely out the wrestling loop reading all this, especially the numerous game name drops must be more confused then an unfortunately common concussed wrestler). There were a lot of people who immediately expressed doubts with Yukes involvement, though you can check the threads to see I gave them the benefit of the doubt, that perhaps a fresh start and longer dev time would let them shine again.
Alas while I really wanted to say "Yukes still got it!", this starting point doesn't even rise above their more mediocre work. I felt like a number of the pieces were in the right place gameplay wise, it has the basics of a good wrestling system, except the counter system is rough both in feedback and even presenting the bespoke reversals animations that push the action to the next level of authenticity.
The balance of match flow and general pacing goes back to the way I opened this mini review with, it's not gonna deliver you even a 10 minute long back and forth, matches fly by so fast that it's over in 2, there's no real drama, not much reason to explore the numerous options, it's arcadey to a fault without the sauce to really qualify as arcadey.
Honestly I'm not even sure why it's so soft arcade like in execution considering its main inspiration in No Mercy, AEW Fight Forever is actually surprisingly close to the cartoony WWE All Stars game (right down to the lack of content, limited roster, naff create a wrestler...huh), which was at least very deliberate exaggerated fighting game that leant into its gimmick 100%.

Funnily enough, the more cartoony and exaggerated elements of Fight Forever are probably its best points, drawing on existing AEW wrestler gimmicks gives you the ability to ride around on a skateboard , put your hands in your pockets and wrestle with indifference. AEW's penchant for hardcore style matches is well represented with a host of varied weaponry including the lovable visual of slamming your foes into thumbtacks that will absolutely stick into them, or being blown up in an exploding barbed wire deathmatch, no sparklers and smoke here.
Moments like these show me that Yukes could have something going here in the future, it's gonna need a lot of work though between rebalancing the gameplay, massively increasing the content, the depth and visual quality and I just can't shake that this starting point might need at least two revisions to get close to being at least Day of Reckoning worthy.
As far as chants go, "Fight Forever"? more like," you can't wrestle!"
*cheap heat, crowd OOOOOOOOs*

4. Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown ★★★★

Combat-Forest-Warriors-_Autumnal-forest_1920x1080.jpg

I can now brag that I was on the right side of history regarding this game's mixed response reveal last year, really it makes a lot of sense to take the PoP franchise in the direction of a metroidvania, almost marrying the two existing styles of the series prior, while slotting into a genre that's more in vogue these days.
Saying that, metroidvania games are now a dime a dozen, i've noticed that its increasingly tough for these games to hold my attention as they all draw from the same inspirations and start regurgitating the same upgrades, gimmicks and even combat styles these days.

The funny thing here is, that PoP is in ways, quite heavily derivative of many of the genre's greats, playing through the game feels like an amalgamation of all the big hitters in a PoP package, you've heard of Soulsbornekiroring, now get ready for Guacaoritroidvania Knight!
Despite this, PoP still stands on its own two feet very well, it melds together pre existing concepts with the franchises own blend of platforming trap chambers, puzzle rooms and sword based combat.
Said combat might be one of the game's secret weapons, you could describe it as being like a simplified character action game on a 2D plane, which works shockingly well it turns out, where most current metroidvanias lean a bit too much on souls like combat for my liking, PoP is out here letting you pop fools up with air combos, keeping them up by chasing them down with air dashes and arrow shots.
The bosses especially are a highlight, already I'm thinking that these bosses will be candidates for the best of 2024, certainly some of the best in the genre. Reminding me somewhat of the oft maligned Castlevania Mirror of Fate by Mecury Steam in their cinematic phase by phase execution and parry heavy cinematic moves, except you know, just a heck of a lot better.

Platforming has a strong focus here as well, not just a means to an end for exploration, there are many pockets of pure platforming challenges and optional collectables, leaning heavily on air dashes and wall jumps through tight spiky passages, why I could make another nod to a notable (though non metroidvania) title in Celeste here, except a lot more manageable, though I suspect some of the later segments might put those who don't eat 2D platformers on the regular through their sweaty palmed paces. As a bonus, there's even a few moments that mirrored the dev teams previous work on Rayman Origins and Legends, neat!
PoP is also a very smooth and flowing kinda game, my play sessions tended to last longer than I planned as the urge to just check one more area constantly pushed me on, movement is fast, control is tight.
The game's vast (and I mean VAST) map well balances its central story progression alongside leaving just enough areas open to reward exploration without you getting too far removed from the critical path, which is something that's actually getting rarer even among the big names in the genre. At times the game can feel a bit too big, fast travel points are oddly placed leaving some dead zones in the map, the various platforming chambers started feeling a bit rote in the late game, even with the new abilities there's only so many ways you can air dash around spikes even with a few extra wrinkles.

Presentation is the game's most mixed element, visually speaking it's nice enough with a ton of unique rooms, fully rendered backdrops that add a sense of scale and place, a good batch of biomes and one particularly striking late game area frozen in time. If you're wondering where the "mixed" part comes in, it's simply the overall quality of said visuals, perhaps Prince of Persia is the perfect AAA dev example of that one sonic meme image of "i want shorter games with worse graphics" because it does leave a bit to be desired for a £40-£50 release, the forest area in particular can look a bit ho-hum, it's not a big deal mind you as the art style does a lot of heavy lifting, it's just that this genre now boasts so many gorgeous games at half the price.

There's also what I unfortunately consider something of a ubisoft hallmark, a lack of extra polish. While I managed to get through the game mostly glitch free, the OT alone shows many a bug or audiovisual glitch that drags things down a bit. And in something that seems to be more a stylistic choice, the game's otherwise well animated cutscenes and super moves that can go gloriously anime as heck, can lack the oomph required by audio to land as effectively as they really should, alongside the way some scenes play out like they suddenly move at 1.5 speed, which in another reference to ubisoft reminds me of the intro to the Assassin's Creed movie which hurt to look at.

On the whole though, the game is just really good, incredibly well rounded, it hits high marks in so many areas that it genuinely has me a bit puzzled as to why I don't absolutely love it and simply like it a lot. Perhaps the world and characters don't quite do the final step of drawing me in on the level of say Ori (though compared to some reviews that pooped on the plot and character designs, I thought both were pretty good even if not spectacular), the music feels like it's on Dread logic of "set a mood but don't you dare give them something to hum!" because I KNOW Coker can cook here (see again: Ori).
In any case, after such a long gap in releases for the series, as well as the Sands of Time remake falling into development heck, it's great to say that Prince of Persia is back, and with an arguable contender for the best game in the series at that.

edit: oh and because I didn't squeeze this in elsewhere, a couple of the upgrades are REALLY COOL and open the door to some clever puzzles and traversal options, and to my knowledge pretty unique so that's another plus

Last edited:

Ailanthium

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
1. Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name (PS5) - 8/10 | 1.22.24

A short(-ish) take on the Yakuza formula, Like a Dragon Gaiden is an appetizer before the main course that is Infinite Wealth. I actually enjoyed the story more than I thought I would, even if the player is expected to know what happens in most of the plot beats throughout the game. I thought I wouldn't want to see Kiryu taking the main stage again after Yakuza 6, but I think RGG did a really good job of getting me invested in his character direction and current arc. I'm really excited to see where his story goes next, even if his new hairstyle is really, really goofy.​

2. Super Mario Bros. Wonder (NSW) - 9/10 | 1.24.24

There are few games that I can confidently say I've enjoyed every second of, but Super Mario Bros. Wonder achieves this rare feat in style. The new power-ups are a ton of fun, the new badge system is a fantastic way to dynamically adjust the game's difficulty, and the Wonder Flowers add an unexpected touch to each stage that I found myself looking forward to for each and every level. My only minor gripe is that using Bowser Jr. as the only major boss aside from Bowser himself was disappointing, continuing Nintendo's trend of paring down Bowser's villainous ensemble to himself, Kamek, and Bowser Jr. That may be to Super Mario Bros.'s benefit, though, allowing the game to fully focus on the highlights of its gameplay.​

3. Super Mario RPG (NSW) - 7.5/10 | 1.28.24

An adorable, relaxing turn-based JRPG that's short, sweet, and to the point. While I don't think the writing hits the highs of the Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi games, it's a lively adventure with a solid cast of lovable characters, including my favorite version of Bowser (even if he's not exactly the most useful party member). Super Mario RPG is an excellent introduction to the genre for kids and full of nostalgia for fans of the classic Final Fantasy games.​

4. Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth (PS5) - 9/10 | 2.11.24

This is a game that I'm going to be thinking about for a long, long while. While nominally a sequel to Yakuza: Like a Dragon, in many ways it feels like a direct response to Yakuza 6, a transparent criticism of Kiryu's first, admittedly less believable send-off. Infinite Wealth smartly uses the new turn-based party mechanics to get to the core of Kiryu's character, which somehow feels underexplored even after six entire mainline games and multiple spin-offs. Ichiban's storyline in some ways feels secondary to Kiryu's, and acts as a foil that helps the player understand why Kiryu has to believe in Ichiban's future above all else, entrusting him with the legacy of the yakuza.​

I still don't know what the title's referring to, though, and at this point I'm too afraid to ask.

I've thought a little more about the title and how it relates to the themes of the game since writing my impressions of it almost a month ago. There are a lot of interpretations about what the "infinite wealth" in the game is, and given that it obviously isn't about cold hard cash, I think that most of them are getting at the same thing. To me, infinite wealth represents the idea that life itself provides opportunities to those willing to grasp them, but that only the living can take them. No matter how difficult it is to confront your past or to own up to your own mistakes, those who do so will be rewarded in a way that cannot be measured. To atone for your mistakes, you absolutely must live.​

Also, I've come to realize that I kinda like Kiryu's new hairstyle...​

5. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (NSW) - 7.5/10 | 2.19.24

Castlevania is a series I've had a passing interest in for some time, but every time that I've tried booting one up, I've found myself hitting a wall pretty early on and dropping them before they really begin. I'd heard that Aria of Sorrow was one of the easiest Castlevania games, so I decided to give it a shot, and I really enjoyed it! I've played other Metroidvanias, but more on the "Metroid" side with guns and fewer RPG elements. That being said, Aria of Sorrow was actually pretty tough at times, especially in the boss fight against Death. I ended up abusing the rewind feature more than I'd care to admit. I get the feeling that this series will be an uphill battle for me...​

6. Final Fantasy VI (PC) - 8/10 | 3.1.24

The final game in Final Fantasy's SNES trilogy is a monument to their progress as developers and creators, pushing the boundaries of the technology and the genre as a whole. The storytelling is unique, and the game's ability to cohesively juggle the storylines of fourteen separate party members is impressive. However, I do have some misgivings about how the pacing of the game slows to a crawl in the World of Ruin, and found the lack of meaningful party interactions owing to its open-ended nature to be detrimental to the story as a whole. Final Fantasy VI is too briskly paced in the first half to allow characters time to breath and interact, but has far less to work with in the second half.The gameplay, a slightly awkward mix of FFIV and FFV's systems, is a little bit too easy to break, heavily favoring magic with the caveat that nearly every character can become a competent mage. If I didn't want to use Quick + Ultima, I obviously didn't have to, but I was shocked at how weak other options feel in comparison. That being said, I did give most of the characters in the game a shot aside from Umaro and Gau, and I appreciate how their character-specific systems interacted, even if most of them are largely ignored by the endgame.

Kefka is clearly the most interesting villain among the first six games, a character that was fun to hate from beginning to end. A party of heroes finding their resolve to fight against nihilism and determinism may seem a bit cliche nowadays, but it's a longstanding tradition that started with games like Final Fantasy VI.

As a side note, after looking at my prior Final Fantasy reviews, I think I was a bit harsh on some of them. I would definitely put FFIV above FFVI (if only by a bit), but I definitely wouldn't give FFVI less than a 7.5. Obviously these kinds of reviews are completely arbitrary, but I think I've become a lot more forgiving to video games in general. The original Final Fantasy really did suck, though.​

7. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (PS5) - 9/10 | 3.18.24

It took me a few months to get back around to it, but I finally finished Armored Core VI! I was honestly shocked at how attached I'd become to the characters, which made the finale all the more gut-wrenching. Walter, Ayre, Rusty, Carla, and even Chatty were like comrades-in-arms, but in typical mecha fashion, their ideals forced the player to make difficult choices about their allegiances. I ultimately sided with Ayre, leading to a climactic and emotional ending that pulled no punches. I appreciate that the ending, and what your choices mean for the world, were a little less vague than most FromSoft games.

Admittedly, I only played a little bit of Armored Core back on the PS3 before this, so it's tough for me to compare directly to other games (in spite of how much I love mecha anime), but I really had a blast playing AC6. The speed and fluidity of combat made for high-octane fights with spectacular visual effects and explosions galore. There were definitely some difficult fights, but very few of those fights felt entirely unfair or overly punishing. Just a great time all-around. I'm excited to get my ass kicked by the other final bosses.​

8. Final Fantasy VII (NSW) - 9.5/10 | 3.23.24

Final Fantasy VII is a crowning achievement of video games that deserves every bit of praise that it receives. Every single aspect of this game is astoundingly good, and without having to make qualifications like "for its time" or "with their resources." It's hard to decide where to begin; the story, characters, music, and gameplay are all phenomenal. FFVII's cast is one of my favorites in gaming, and each character has a powerful arc ingrained deeply into the story and narrative. Cloud, Tifa, Aerith, and Barrett form a powerful core cast whose legacies betray how complex, intriguing, and downright funny they are. Which isn't to say that the rest of the main cast—even Vincent and Yuffie, who clearly get the short end of the stick—don't get their own moments to shine. The villains, too, are incredibly varied, and I like all of them in their own ways. The Shinra bigwigs are despicable, but in a "love to hate them" kind of way, the Turks are endlessly amusing and have their own sense of pride and responsibility, while Sephiroth and Jenova are villains that represent an evil that lurks just beyond comprehension.

There are a couple rough spots here and there, of course, but they're largely outweighed by everything that I love about the game. Fort Condor is underbaked at best, for example, and many of the prerendered backgrounds are downright confusing to navigate. Some of the aesthetics are lost in the translation from CRT screens to modern LCDs, and if I play it again, I'd probably want to try out mods that upscale the backgrounds so I can at least read some of the text better. I also think the beginning of the game is undertuned and can largely be brute forced with the attack command, while endgame challenges like the Ruby and Emerald Weapons are lacking in a "middle ground" that ramps up to their difficulty. The game throws so much materia at the player that it can be difficult to understand what they all do, much less how to sort through them effectively when wanting to switch things up for each character. However, the materia system overall is a huge improvement over magicite, and the addition of limit breaks really balances out the characters and makes them feel different from each other without being too reliant on magic.

Overall, I'm extremely excited to see what the Final Fantasy VII remake trilogy brings to the table. I don't think the original is untouchable, and I'm happy to see them exploring ideas further, but there's an enormous legacy to live up to.​

9. Gearbits (PC) - 6.5/10 | 3.31.24

Gearbits is a cross between early Armored Core and Earth Defense Force that's well-worth the cost for 5-6 hours in its main campaign and an endless wave mode, along with plenty of unlockable weapons and mechs. The gameplay is solid, and all the weapons feel like they should; Gearbits is great at encouraging experimentation in a way that AC6 is sometimes lacking, though I would love it if Gearbits included the option to change your loadout between checkpoints. The main campaign has a surprisingly solid story and decent characters, marred by way, way too many grammatical errors for what seems to be an English-original game. The comma splices, spelling errors, incorrect conjunctions, and inconsistent capitalization could all have been improved by most modern spellcheckers, or at the very least a second eye on the script. That aside, I really appreciate how varied the mission types are and the campaign does a good job of making sure the player has to adapt to difficult situations. Some of the later missions against the bug enemies were decently tough! Too many of them on-screen (especially after blowing dozens of them to smithereens at once) does cause some notable frame drops, but they're usually pretty brief and mostly expected for the genre. I'd love to see what the developer does next and hope they can improve on that foundation.​

10. Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood (PC) - 8/10 | 4.10.24

My wife and I decided to do a replay of FFXIV, and since these expansions are basically the length of a full-length game, I figured I'd include them on this list. I actually feel like Stormblood is slightly better on a replay, and some of my problems with the pacing on the first playthrough seem a little harsh in retrospect (especially given how meandering Heavensward is between the Vault and Azys Lla). Lyse's character arc is really well-crafted, and she's given plenty of narrative foils that tackle imperialism from other directions. There's definitely the omnipresent issue of the white savior complex, which is an unfortunate side effect of mistakes CBU3 had saddled themselves with from 1.0 (Minfilia and Yda should've used highlander models, at the vert least). Dawntrail offers them the chance to rethink how they approach a story that explores a fantastical, fictionalized version of real-life cultures in a respectful way, and how they wrote Thavnair feels like they're heading in the right direction.

I was hoping that my impression of Zenos would change on a replay, but ultimately, it reinforced my opinion that Stormblood-era Zenos isn't well-written at all. He comes off as cartoonishly evil until the very end, and then suddenly ramps everything up to 11 without giving the player the time to process what kind of character he is and his fundamental motivations. Even knowing how his character evolves in Endwalker, I just can't figure out exactly how he fits into the fundamental themes of Stormblood, which otherwise hold up well.​

11. Final Fantasy XVI: Echoes of the Fallen + The Rising Tide (PS5) - 8.5/10 | 4.20.24

I decided to pair the two expansions because neither feels quite meaty enough to justify its own entry, but for what it's worth, I highly enjoyed both. Echoes of the Fallen has a much less compelling story, but I appreciated them fleshing out the Fallen and the Omega fight was wicked fun. The Rising Tide is far more expansive, and the new abilities it brings to the table are a ton of fun to experiment with (and I expect to play around a little bit more with them before moving on to my next game). The battle against Leviathan is, as YoshiP warned, fairly difficult in comparison to the other eikon fights, and I have to admit that I got my butt kicked a few times. The challenge didn't detract from the experience, though, and I'm happy that they managed to tie a few loose ends together with the DLC.​

12. Final Fantasy VIII (NSW) - 9/10 | 5.3.24

I wasn't sure if I'd like FFVIII after hearing relatively little chatter about it online (at least, as compared to FFVII and FFIX), but ultimately I think it's absolutely one of the best games in the series. Once you get past some oddities with the combat system—there's a lot I could say about drawing, junctioning, and GFs, but if I got started on that I wouldn't stop—and some of the very 90's aesthetic choices, FFVIII is really charming, has incredibly complex characters, and manages to pull off an intriguing story about time travel that ties into themes of belonging, memory, and regret. Laguna's secondary story was told excellently and paced perfectly, adding just a bit more context to every scene and interaction while leaving the player with just as many questions in need of answering.

Compared directly to FFVII, there are admittedly a couple areas that are lacking. The villains are overall much less interesting than FFVII's (Shinra is way more fun than Galbadia, and Ultimecia is no Sephiroth), the main cast is less varied and memorable, and the combat is noticeably less difficult in spite of its complexity. In other ways, though, they really improved on the formula and moved the franchise even further into the spectacular, cinematic, and impressively nuanced series it is today.​

Also, gunblades rule. End of story.​

13. Hi-Fi Rush (PS5) - 9/10 | 5.10.24

Hi-Fi Rush is the kind of game that feels tailor-made for me. It wears its heart on its sleeve and its inspirations close at hand; while Scott Pilgrim is the most obvious source of inspiration, I couldn't help but be reminded of my long teenage years playing Ratchet & Clank and Guitar Hero. Chai is stuck in those years, unable to see beyond his own cringe-inducing behavior. The story admonishes him for his arrogance, but never once suggests that all of that stuff isn't still cool as hell. The combat and platforming are a ton of fun, with just enough depth to keep me hooked but without being utterly obtuse in ways that games like Devil May Cry can be. HFR always changes things up—if only just a little—to keep things fresh in its relatively short playtime. It's stylish, it's fun, it's funny, it's everything you'd want in a game... and Microsoft killed the studio that made it. I'm not gonna lie, learning that halfway through playing the game made me especially frustrated and conversely made some of their points really hit home. Maybe I wish they'd be a little more "burn the house down" by the end because these corporations are beyond redemption.

I still hope Phil Spencer gets his settlement in FO76 nuked again.​

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Finally a couple of bigger games done, just in time for Yakuza as well! Mario RPG is still being played, Ill get on with that alongside Yakuza, but Im assuming my completion pace will slow down considerably as I focus on Yakuza for the foreseeable future!

24. Quake 2 (PS5) - One of my rare CO OP playthroughs, but this one was amazing. It was actually all of Q2 + its many various expansions and of course Q2 N64!

The game itself is a fast paced FPS. Tons of amazing weapons, tons of enemies to shoot, and plenty of locations to visit. Props to the amazing compass which prevented me from getting lost so many times... it needs to be a feature for next month's Dark Forces remaster!

The main Q2 campaign was a blast to get through. It threw plenty of badass weapons at me, plenty of enemies to shoot, and the difficulty felt pretty well balanced. Bosses when they (rarely) showed up didnt feel all too annoying to deal with as the more powerful weapons you had by those points would melt their healthbars, and the game is never stingy with the ammo (which I greatly appreciated). If the game stopped here, itd have been a short, but amazing remaster.

But noooooooooooo, you get four more expansions to play! All of which felt excellent to be honest, adding a few more hours each to the game, and again doing similar like the main game in dishing out weapons and enemies at healthy intervals - I never felt underpowered, overwhelmed, or up against a brick wall. One particular set of levels had absolutely insane enemy counts, almost bordering on EDF levels at times, which made for some amazing fun as the weapons in Q2 can shred them just as quickly as they appear.

But its the port of N64's version of Q2 I wanna highlight. Unlike the above, it has less enemies (probably due to the console), but the level design felt... different. Maybe a bit more linear or at least better at directing you where to go. There's less ammo as well, so the game felt just as balanced because while you come up against less enemies, your still gonna have to be careful as I found myself running out of ammo more often here.
And the levels rocked. While it keeps the basic concepts of the main game - like getting keys and data discs, all the levels are brand new that I could tell, so its not so much playing a slightly different map, but rather a completely new set of levels, incredibly well designed ones.

And the effort that went into the remastering of the game was excellent as well. Its the best remaster Ive ever played to be honest. Tons of options, rock solid frame rate, life saving compass, and full online co op for 4 (or more?) people.

Cant recommend this one enough, even its plat trophy is rewarded for just playing through all the content!

25. The Crew (PS4) - This has been my focus for the month, and 80 hours later the story is complete and I dont have anywhere else on the maps to visit! The game only has another couple of months left online, then Ubisoft turn it off (boo) so I wanted to replay it before tthat happened, and Im glad I did as I really enjoyed the game, despite it arguably being a rather mid 7/10 game.

The big draw for me, is the open world. Unlike Horizon which only has one city/surrounding area to race around, The Crew wanted to go big and has you race around the whole of North America... well, sorta. While certain locations are featured (in super shrunken down forms), you cant visit every state in America. You also cant visit Hawaii (buy the sequel!). But I do love the fairly large map, the tons of different locations from lush forest areas, mountains, deserts and canyons not to mention built up cities like LA or New York... Id honestly love a game that tries to do a more accurate to scale America, but for now this will do (well, for the next two months at least...)
But what good is a map without stuff to do? Its a Ubisoft game so yeah its sorta cookie cutter but this is one of those rare exceptions that I enjoy exploring. I loved visiting the various states and seeing the varying terrains etc. as said terrains introduced their own challenges when it comes to racing in them. There's tons (as in hundreds) of optional challenges which ask you to drive at certain speeds, drive through gates, hill climbs, off road racing, jumps, and so on... As different specs of cars have different strengths, it lead me to using several cars which I appreciated. I loved doing stuff like the escapes and hill climbs as those have you really messing around on the maps and making your own paths - in essense it uses the open worl really well, rather than it feeling like the challenges were just latched on for the heck of it. In fact, almost all that playtime is because of my exploring and the challenges! Over the days Id slowly make it from one end of the country to the other, doing challenges, finding points of interest, and just taking in the views... its not a pretty game per se but some of the vistas and locations look great, there's a certain level of scope that's impressive - as you race through the mountains at night, looking down on the cities in the distance as they illuminate the night sky with their lights... Its something few city based open world games really manage to nail (GTA really being the main one that succeeds).

The story on the other hand.. Its crap. Its your standard revenge story zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

The faction races can be fun as well - these ones are longer and have you racing state to state, or all round the country, so I respect the game for including them. I honestly felt they were better than the story missions.

Overall? Its not amazing to be honest, but its sorta unique and I loved it. Im gutted its not gonna be playable from April, another game lost to this always online shitshow of modern gaming.

Original Post:

stn

Oct 28, 2017
1. Dead Space (XSX) - Took 13 hrs, just as great as I remember it. I played the hell out of the OG so I knew what to expect. [9/10]

Next: Resident Evil 4 (XSX)

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Game 7 Moonscars
Release Data 2022
Platforms Switch, PS4, PS5, Xbox Series and PC

Moonscars-Game-Page-e1660169381879.jpg

0.gif
2a1e6ecaee516c6b36201467f145f0439b32e979.gif

Review Score 3/10
I was scrolling through the playstation plus extra section of the store looking for something to play for just a few days before starting the massive Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth. I didn't have enough time to really dive in or replay anything substantially longer nor did i wanna spend money on something that I only wanted to play for a few days. I saw a quick minute video on the store front from moonscars that I've never heard of but looked like a gothic metroidvania and in combination of looking at the average completion time on how long to beat fit my criteria pretty well. A nearly complete blind buy.

For what i was looking for Moonscars did fit that bill but in all honesty is a pretty terrible game. Right from the get go the story is presented in a equal part minamalistic and nonsensical way. Trying to follow it was quite annoying, as it all text info dumps and boring. Nothing in the world or the game characters or backgrounds help pain a picture of what you are doing or whats going on. It always feels like it's trying to be a complex story but very little actually happens to keep the player motivated or curious as to what happens next. At about the half way point I just started skipping the text boxes, which is something I very rarely do, even when I'm not enjoying the story. The visuals at first felt unique and gothic but you will soon come to realize that this is the only style and color pallete the game is going to show. It is unlike say Hallow Knight where yes the game is comprised on dark and moody colors but has sprinkles of life and color all around it. Moonscars starts to feel like staring into a magic eye poster where everything is just bleeding gray and the only visual interesting thing that really stands out is your character and all you really see of that is the same three or so different animations that the character does.

As for the gameplay Moonscars is your standard metroidvania. Acutally saying standard is a disservice because while it doesn't do anything flat out terrible in it's traversal or combat it is quite below average in excution on all levels. Moonscars is functional and things attack you and there is pushback from the enemies but it is never satisfying. You really never deviate from basic strategies for destroying enemies. You have your basic strike combo and your prefered spell you spam when your meter is built up. There is one special attack that you can also use that you can periodically switch out that has better attack animation that usually buffs your character slightly but the long animation windows usually cause you to get damaged far more than you give out so it's rarely ever worth while. You simply do more damage through sword strikes and spells. Spells and health regeneration are tied to the same meter so you would think it would be a balancing act of a risk and reward but it's not. It's the same meter but tied individually to each action. Attacking enemies builds the meter and you can heal and use spells unlimitedly at almost all times. Who cares about trying to attack bosses defensively or reactively when you can just run up and spam attacks and heal at the same time. It's nice not having to rely on items to heal but this system just doesn't work well.

All of the rogue like elements this game has also are lazily designed or make such a minor difference they are not worth seeking out. Like souls games when you die you leave behind your spoils and they can be recollected on the next life. Pretty standard stuff in the genre in this day. The things you can buy with said spoils are so bland and situational they are not worth experimenting with. Plus a lot of said items you can buy can not be combined with other like items. Pushing back enemies slightly further from attacks, slight damage increase on next attack after a kill, increased defense but slow walk speed and so on. Boring. On top of that have you ever played a metroidvania where while exploring the world there is only ONE movement upgrade or skill that allows you to reach new areas? No double jump unlock to reach new heights, or transformation ability to get into a previously unacessible room or an item that allows you to climb to a place you couldn't reach before or boots that allow you to walk on spikes/poisen. Nothing like that. Just a single dash mechanic that use a couple of times. The whole game is just walking to one section of the map, finding a key and walk to another section. This game made me appreicate even the most basic of other metroidvania's. By the time I got to the end I was just begging for it to be over. I can only slay the same three or four basic fodder enemies over and over again. Don't waste your time on Moonscars.

Last edited:

arvan59

Aug 2, 2021
2271118-sanrio_world_smash_ball_.jpg

6. Sanrio World Smash Ball! (Super Famicom) - 1/21

The is my first time playing this game after seeing it on Giant Bomb years ago and it's pretty delightful. As a sports-esque, competitive game, there's a lot of satisfaction in the volleys and in using the stages to your advantage. A regular playthrough sees you through 30 stages of increasing complexity. Additions to the stages, such as fans and bounce pads can often be used to your advantage (your opponent scoring a self-goal happens more often than you'd think!). It's a pretty approachable and fun game that I'll keep in mind next time I'm playing games with friends.

9r22RCQ.png

7. Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti (Famicom) - 1/22

I had pretty wonderful time this brief, but very charming game. A lot of that charm comes through its aesthetic and its various homages to horror. One of the bosses in the first level is direct from The Exorcist: possessed children, spinning heads, and flying furniture in all. Another level has you traversing "Diamond Lake." Once you reach the end of the game and reconnect with Jennifer, a director congratulates you on a sound stage. Gameplay wise it's kept very simple as, for the majority of the game, you're only jumping and punching. There's an experience system where you get more health the more enemies you kill, but that's the most layered the game's systems gets. But, honestly, the game doesn't need more than that. It functions as a lovely, reverential, side-game to the Splatterhouse franchise that upholds its basic, enjoyable gameplay loop with style and humor (and boss fights with spooky things like haunted bookshelves and sentient pumpkin heads).

Main Post

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN POST

MASTER12.png

Quick Update
  • FF7R DLC - Fun DLC and Yuffies movesets are really fun. Cant wait for part 2. Made me want to replay original
  • RoboCop- Never seen films, but game was a blast and missions have great pacing.
  • FFVII - One of my favorite games and still a classic. Had Yuffie & Vincent as main party members entire game which was a fun spin of all backrow characters. They are powerful. Slammed final boss without healing with main party low level 60.

Remember we have a discord channel if you want to discuss what you are playing and beat even further with monthly and quarterly optional game clubs!