Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
i feel like we are going to be stuck in a cycle where the best thing to on happen to a party/side is for the opposing party to be in power. Obama led to Trump. Trump led to Biden. Seemingly the easiest thing to do is weaponize the politics of the person in power to galvanize your voters. 4-8 years of Biden will almost certainly lead to a Republican President
Yep and each side will basically forecast on how much "damage" they can do while it's their turn to hold the seat.

Seems like we've reached the endgame of our bullshit two party system.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i feel like we are going to be stuck in a cycle where the best thing to on happen to a party/side is for the opposing party to be in power. Obama led to Trump. Trump led to Biden. Seemingly the easiest thing to do is weaponize the politics of the person in power to galvanize your voters. 4-8 years of Biden will almost certainly lead to a Republican President

What is so incredibly upsetting to me is that when Democrats fail to get anything passed because of some bad eggs or interference by the other party, every single person that opposed that bill gets a free pass. Nothing even happens to the safety of their political career. But if one Republican stands against the party, even in situations where it's obvious that that's what any decent human being would do, they get scrutinized for it and lose their power the very next election.

The more people lose faith in the Democratic system, the worse it works for them and the better it works for Republicans.

Pheonix Will

Sep 6, 2021
To a lot who quoted me - 100% agree student debt needs reducing. But as a former political advisor I know how to attack and from the Republican point of view forgiving student debt would be an early Christmas. I would completely dominate that topic amongst their voter base.

Hence why Biden has probably been so turned off from touching the issue.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
What is so incredibly upsetting to me is that when Democrats fail to get anything passed because of some bad eggs or interference by the other party, every single person that opposed that bill gets a free pass. Nothing even happens to the safety of their political career. But if one Republican stands against the party, even in situations where it's obvious that that's what any decent human being would do, they get scrutinized for it and lose their power the very next election.

The more people lose faith in the Democratic system, the worse it works for them and the better it works for Republicans.
Because it's not only a few bad eggs, there is a bunch of them, and they hide behind the bad one in situation like this.
To a lot who quoted me - 100% agree student debt needs reducing. But as a former political advisor I know how to attack and from the Republican point of view forgiving student debt would be an early Christmas. I would completely dominate that topic amongst their voter base.

motherfucker attack Obama over a tanned suit.

But hey, helping people/reinvigorate young people section of your base is totally not worth it, totally understand.

Fuck outta here

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth

Dems are always playing defense, never offense. It's why the most enthusiasm they can muster out of their voterbase is due to awful Republicans and not actual accomplishments.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
as a former political advisor I know how to attack and from the Republican point of view forgiving student debt would be an early Christmas. I would completely dominate that topic amongst their voter base.
What even is the attack angle? Rich people benefit too?

And it may dominate their voter base but wtf about energizing the Dem base for something other than "not that other guy"?

Pheonix Will

Sep 6, 2021
What even is the attack angle? Rich people benefit too?

And it may dominate their voter base but wtf about energizing the Dem base for something other than "not that other guy"?

From my POV it'd be the age gap, emphasise the older base who are more likely to vote are subsidising the young and their "tax break" in cutting their debt. That's the route I'd take, unfortunately that generation just doesn't give a fuck of the struggles of the younger generation.

And again working class who didn't go to college, you nail them on that, their taxes are funding middle class students who could go to college.

For them, it's win win.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad we've decided that the best move for democrats is to serve republicans interests

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Way to kill momentum going into 2022 and then 24. Dems continue to be their own worst enemy.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
Democrats lied to get votes, and now people lose rights in the future because they are ass.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the complete lack of transparency that gets me, plus being caught on a recording making a promise and then breaking it. Like, everyone should have expected that payments would resume at some point—"it's a pandemic" doesn't last forever as a justification, though one can reasonably disagree about where to draw the line.

But then, forgive the 10k as promised and explain what the comprehensive plan is to address the remainder of the issue. If it's solely within the purview of the Executive, either do it; defer doing it and explain why; or explain what legal mechanism prevents you from doing it, along with a plan to enact necessary legislative changes to execute it. Even if that's not currently possible, explain specifically what's necessary to change.

Turning payments back on while letting regular people continue to worry about the promised relief is stupid and cruel.

I'm not sold on the idea of writing off all existing loans without a comprehensive revamping of the system, along with most higher education being free, but this is really about the equivalent of a 10k tax rebate. This is so frustrating—and I say this as someone with zero debt—because investing in our people (and their training and education) is the most important thing we can do as a society.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Maybe it's time Americans realise that their "two party" system isn't so "two" at all.

quote-in-the-us-there-is-basically-one-party-the-business-party-it-has-two-factions-called-noam-chomsky-5-52-74.jpg

d08a3blfpbz41.png

Democrats or Republicans, doesn't really fucking matter which one of them people vote for. They are both assholes in the pocket of capitalists and not the working class. One appears a bit more progressive than the other but in the end both are as disappointing for the people at large.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does when it comes to using Title 42 for Biden, strangely.
Good point. I saw an article in WaPo today about potentially standing up migrant welcome centers (akin to Germany's, I think) with migrants in a non-custodial setting—with all necessary agencies on-site to more expeditiously process asylum and refugee claims. I don't know if that signifies any change there, but situations at the border are equally unsustainable as they'll be exacerbated by climate change.

I really want this to be better.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
I don't get it. If taking off $10K was an easy attack for Republicans, then why the hell did Biden use it during campaigning against Trump? Apparently it's not that great of assist for the Republicans.

These excuses lmao

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it's time Americans realise that their "two party" system isn't so "two" at all.

quote-in-the-us-there-is-basically-one-party-the-business-party-it-has-two-factions-called-noam-chomsky-5-52-74.jpg

d08a3blfpbz41.png

Democrats or Republicans, doesn't really fucking matter which one of them people vote for. They are both assholes in the pocket of capitalists and not the working class. One appears a bit more progressive than the other but in the end both are as disappointing for the people at large.

If you're in this thread, you know that there are multiple factions with a multitude of interests.

Most of them are indeed laissez-faire, but that's also what most Americans think they want. That's what keeps winning, handily, in most democratically held elections across the country.

We've got to present and represent the alternative.