• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one do you like best?

• PS5

Votes: 954 20.2%
  • XSX

Votes: 2,930 62.0%
  • XSS

Votes: 520 11.0%
  • PS5 Digital

Votes: 321 6.8%

• Total voters

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that 6 months has passed, how do you feel about the designs of both consoles? Design is more than how it looks, it's how it works too.

For PS5 it does look good vertically but awful horizontally. The blue light running down the face is cool, especially at night. The massive size makes it tricky to find a spot for it in my tv cabinet. My console is afflicted with coil whine and a loud disc drive, so those take off some points.

With series x, I really dig the mini tower design. It's a simple with just the right amount of flourishes like the light up Xbox logo and the green reveal in the venting holes. The fans are inaudible unless you're right up next to it and the disc drive doesn't make a lot of noise either. On the downside it doesn't look so hot horizontally and the boxy shape might not fit well into some people's entertainment unit. Overall it's a homerun of a design that you really appreciate when it's in your home and you're actively using it.

Overall the simple but elegant design of the series x wins out for me. PS5 makes a statement, but I think that a revision that reworks the design, reduces size by 30% or so and is quieter will make a big difference.

Edit: 3rd option should be XSS lol

ps5-vs-xbox-series-x.jpg

Last edited:

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
I mean it always is the XSX. The size difference alone. But they are both good looking and SILENT

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I like both TBH. but I will say out of the PS5 designs the digital version is better thought of.

I also agree that PS5 is clearly designed as a vertical console from asthetic perspective. Which is kinda unique, IIRC Only Wii comes to mind where it clearly was "meant" as a vertical console.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like you mean overall quality of engineering rather than just visual design. Either way I think the PS5 looks fairly weird. The XS wins this contest, IMO.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Easiest poll ever.

The PS5 is the ugliest console that I have ever seen. Looks like a terrible mockup. The coil whine issues and the ridiculous size only seal the deal.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
XSX it's small

trying to find a box to ship a PS5 to my brother cost me $150 just to ship

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The Series X. The size, form factor, all just ingenious hardware design. Meanwhile, the PS5 is a monstrous beast that requires a stand to lay on its side and it looks like a wireless router.

The real answer here is the Series S, though. Now that is a sexy ass console.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
In terms of design and build quality, the XSX trounces the PS5. It's solid and silent versus awkward and noisy. 90 percent of my gaming time is spent on the PS5 though because ultimately new games mean more to me than console design. I just hope one day Sony gets a grip on their coil whine and fan issues.

Oct 25, 2017
I like the design of PS5 more but voted XSX because the bright light on the PS5 kills any dark room setups.

I had to tape up my PS5 lights to fully enjoy the console in a dark room OLED setup. What an absurd toy-like gimmick.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Where is the, "They are both ugly" option.

Neither are appealing to look at in my opinion.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I have both and easily prefer the XSX, blends in much better with my setup.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
The Series X is smaller, quieter, has a better thermal design (according to Gamers Nexus' teardown and testing), and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb in a modern living room. Oh, and it's more powerful too.

That being said, I currently only own a PS5. Sony could have designed the thing to look like a giant plastic penis and I still would have bought it just to play Demon's Souls.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Still have the PS5 behind the TV because it's so huge and not great looking. Series X fits in much better. I prefer to not notice the hardware under my TV.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
I have a disc PS5 and a Series X. The latter just blows the PS5 out of the water from a build quality perspective: it's utterly silent, doesn't have coil whine, and putting a disc in and taking it out of the drive isn't cumbersome. Its design is very minimalist and could be considered 'boring' but it absolutely gets the job done. Sony really needs to work on their QA.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Having a PS5 and seeing a Series X in person I can say Series S has the best design.

Seriously that thing is so small I love it.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I still don't like either, to be honest. Prior consoles from both manufacturers were far more attractive. If we could include the XS, that would be the winner by a landslide.

But gun to my head, PS5. It at least evokes a reaction from me. SX is just dull and uninspired (and the positioning of the disc drive just makes the design terrible for me).

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
xbox series x and it's not even a contest when the ps5 is like the video game console equivalent of this

1244921.jpg

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
I like them both (though I've only seen XSX on pictures). XSX has safe and minimalistic design. PS5 takes some risks, so I appreciate it more.
Imo: PS5 digital > XSX > PS5

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
As a PS5 only owner, Xbox Series. PS5 is huge, looks cheap and, the worst part, it's noisy (not PS4 noisy but still).

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see any design trend in the future ever making the PS5 look good, it's just ugly lol
The Series X while not exciting has ensured it will forever look like it's supposed to, minimalist and tasteful.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox Series X, though I do wish more consideration was given to sitting it horizontally.

the PS5 is probably my least favorite console design in years. I understand some people like the bold risks they took, but it's just too "gamer-y" for me to get behind. Hoping the Slim model makes it more in line with the PS4

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Also, requiring a flimsy plastic stand to actually be able to use the thing is laughable.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
I have both

While I appreciate the PS5s bold design (which I did hate at first), the Xbox Series X is still a fundementaly better designed system. Period.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
One is huge and looks weird

the other doesn't look weird and isn't huge

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The PS5 is large and ugly. The worst of both worlds.

I do believe they're into something design-wise though and think a slim could look slick.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I like them both. But I think I prefer the ps5 because of the white plates, not often we get white consoles.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Neither, I've seen more exciting shoe boxes than the Series X, and that ps5 oversized router? Banality vs lolwtf...

So it's the Series S by a fucking mile.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I have both and would 100% pick Series X in terms of design. It is smaller, quieter and in my opinion is just a better looking box.

PS5 is absolutely huge, I literally have to put it behind my TV as it will not find anywhere else.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Easiest vote of my life considering the PS5 is the ugliest console i have ever owned.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In before someone tries to say the actual volume of a PS5 digital isn't much more than an XSX. Always gets a laugh from me.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
The XSX looks acceptable and the XSS looks good whereas the PS5 looks absolutely horrendous.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I lucked out with my PS5 cause I don't have any noticeable whine or fan noise, but it's still ugly af.
Also, though it's almost completely silent, it's not dead silent like the XSX.

XSX wins on all fronts so far, I like the design much more, it's dead silent, I like the controller more, the UI is much better (even though it's not 4k like the PS one) and I've been playing on it way, way more.