Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.theguardian.com

No D-day veterans on Normandy beaches as anniversary events cancelled

Official commemorations including small ceremony and flypast will be streamed online

For the first time in 75 years, there will be no D-day veterans on the beaches of Normandy to mark the anniversary of the allied landings on Saturday.

Official commemorations have been cancelled except for a limited gathering of representatives from nine countries – including the British ambassador to France – for a short ceremony.

In villages up and down the Normandy coast, residents were invited to decorate their homes with allied flags, and church bells will ring at 6.44pm on Saturday.

The departmental council urged the public to "show veterans, and the younger generations whose liberty they won, that they are not forgotten".

Ian Stewart, of the Spirit of Normandy Trust, which fundraises to provide financial support for D-day veterans, said: "It's very sad, and the French are equally saddened by the fact we cannot be there. Nobody takes any pleasure from the restrictions.

"Every year counts. Last year, the 75th anniversary, was a bonus. The men are now all in their late 90s and they are struggling on."

Fight fascism everywhere you see it, everyone.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
It's sad that within a couple of decades we'll lose the last witnesses to the evils of Nazism.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Of 132,000 men who landed on the beaches there was 10,000 casualties, 2,500 dead. Of those that's 2,700 British, 6,693 Americans and 946 Canadians (correct me if more).

7,000 Vessels, 1,213 warships, 12,000 aircraft, and 23,000 airborne troops.

D-Day-landing-beaches-map-c4e4dbf.jpg

The invasion took place once the Allies had secured air superiority over all of Europe in the early spring of 1944. As the landing was going on aircraft blew up bridges, roads and more so that German reinforcements couldn't reach Normandy in time to push them off.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Did they though? Or did they do it to protect their interests?
This wasn't a clash of beliefs, the Axis could've been perfect democracies but the allies still would've gone to war as a result of the Axis' actions and not their style of government.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
This wasn't a clash of beliefs, the Axis could've been perfect democracies but the allies still would've gone to war as a result of the Axis' actions and not their style of government.

Bingo

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017

I wonder how they will get the public on board for 'invade all of europe again' without murdering many thousands of people

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Yup always remember Pearl Harbor brought us into this and Hitler declared war on us for declaring war on Japan. There were fascist sympathizers literally here on Long Island or marching in Madison Square Garden.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. Western front was also to prevent Soviets from conquering whole of Europe (and spreading communism with them).

Oct 25, 2017
Yup always remember Pearl Harbor brought us into this and Hitler declared war on us for declaring war on Japan. There were fascist sympathizers literally here on Long Island or marching in Madison Square Garden.
Peak Harbor just formalized it. The US was involved in the war long before Pearl, being essentially the bread basket of the allies and raising a modern army to fight the axis.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
For some parts of the world, the Allies had been the ones who had been maintaining colonial oppression.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Wish those Allies would have steam rolled the Russians. Shame

Soviets had over two times more divisions at the front at the end of the war than western allies. Quick victory would had been impossible and it would have turned to total war between western allies and Soviet Union. Nobody had stomach for that.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
U.S: We fight fascist, but we also plant fascist states in democratically elected governments we don't like.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
This is so pedantic. Did the fascist leader not facilitate nearly every hostile action they took with unchecked dictatorial authority? Functioning democracies don't invade their neighbors unprovoked. The lack of checks and balances allowed Hitler to proceed on his warpath, so call it a chicken and egg scenario if you want, but fascism is the reason the world went to war.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
the main aim was to stop the whole continent falling to Communism

The German war machine was already broken by this point

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2020 is one for the <checks notes> Book of Eli, Archives beneath the Planet of the Apes, shopping carts on The Road and for the Aliens* at the end of Speilberg's AI to ponder.

jTU00ut.jpg

* They're aliens tho. They have a UFO, are exploring Erf and are shaped like that same director's aliens.

Oct 26, 2017
Some interesting takes here, but the US began participating in the war effort prior to Pearl Harbor. The isolationist movement certainly slowed us down, but not entirely.

There was certainly a lot of appraisal of figures like Mussolini and Hitler for their strength against the tides of communism, and their war crimes certainly weren't the basis of our intervention, but we did pick a side and that would have never been the Nazis given their aggression toward our valued allies .

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame our current POTUS thinks there were some very good people on those beaches.

This is so pedantic. Did the fascist leader not facilitate nearly every hostile action they took with unchecked dictatorial authority? Functioning democracies don't invade their neighbors unprovoked. The lack of checks and balances allowed Hitler to proceed on his warpath, so call it a chicken and egg scenario if you want, but fascism is the reason the world went to war.

Yeah, Nazi Germany is as close to a clean villain history's had in most conflicts. A genuine example of the absolute depravity that we're capable of as humans. There aren't many things that give me cold sweats but the gates at Auschwitz do that to me.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yeah, Nazi Germany is as close to a clean villain history's had in most conflicts. A genuine example of the absolute depravity that we're capable of as humans. There aren't many things that give me cold sweats but the gates at Auschwitz do that to me.
Absolutely. That's why it's frankly shameful to see so many people quoting that in a time where the world is being gripped by a new wave of fascism and effectively saying, 'was fascism really the problem tho?' of course it was. Fascism fucking sucks.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017

Let me phrase it another way, if the Axis did not harm the allies, the allies would not attack them regardless of how facist they were.

I'm not belittling the allies, the Axis were definitely evil and definitely needed to be stopped, and I'm grateful the allies did, and they were heroes for doing so. I think it is heroic to protect one's family and country from real and deadly threats like Nazis. You don't have to pretend they did it to fight for democracy or to destroy fascism.

They fought against facists, and facism was one of their enemies greatest tools but they wouldn't have any qualms allying with a facist state if it suited them.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you think Pearl Harbor even happened?
That reminds me of something I learned about a while ago. After World War 1, Japan pushed for something called the Racial Equality Proposal to be added to the Treaty of Versailles. It held for all members of the League of Nations to be treated as equal regardless of race or nationality.

The proposal wasn't really altruistic in nature. Japan wanted itself to be recognized on the world scale, and the world scale was dominated by European, so they wanted to be recognized by Europeans to satisfy their inferiority/superiority complex.

The majority of the League of Nations supported the proposal. The British Empire, the United Stated, Portugal, Romania, and Belgium didn't - although they didn't explicitly vote against it. The chairman overturned it, claiming strong opposition.

Bear in mind that this was before the Civil RIghts movement in the US and the Indian independence movement in British-occupied India. The US was under a segregationist president.

Japan's propaganda during World War 2 often included attacks on Western imperialism and racism - again as a front for their desire to be recognized, probably a factor for their military ambitions. This can be seen in the idea of the "Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere". Originally, the idea had been proposed by an anti-militaristic academic, essentially viewing all of Asia coming together and cooperating, throwing off the yokes of European intervention in the region. In practice, it was co-opted by the military, and used to claim that they were uniting all of Asia against Western imperialism - by replacing it with Japanese imperialism.

So you could probably respond to "why did Pearl Harbor even happen" with "because the Allies were racist" and you wouldn't be entirely wrong; it fed both the militaristic desire and the rhetorical justification that Japan held in World War 2.

Last edited:

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
"the Axis could've been perfect democracies" so fundamentally changes the premise of what you're talking about though. Yes, the Allies invaded Normandy to protect their interests. Those interests happened to be survival and staving off further Nazi invasion.

Wish those Allies would have steam rolled the Russians. Shame
There would've been steam rolling. Arguably one of the worst decisions Hitler made was to invade the USSR. The Germans were decimated by the attempt and, if there was any interest among the allies to attack the Soviets at some point, the German failure to do so made clear how stupid that would be.

There were certainly isolationists and Nazi sympathizers in America, but they weren't dominating the country. A majority of the public supported joining the war for more than a year before Pearl Harbor.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Agreed. There is no "Good" side of a conflict, but definitely Hitler and the Nazi army are probably the closest ever in history to be the essential "Evil" side of a conflict.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
Peak Harbor just formalized it. The US was involved in the war long before Pearl, being essentially the bread basket of the allies and raising a modern army to fight the axis.

Exactly that. The US was knee deep from a materiel standpoint and had already participated in several engagements.

militaryhistorynow.com

A "Neutral" Power? – American Involvement in WW2 Before Pearl Harbor - MilitaryHistoryNow.com

“Despite Washington’s official position of neutrality, in the weeks and months leading up to Dec. 7, 1941, American forces clashed with the Germans and Japanese.” THE JAPANESE SURPRISE attack on Pearl Harbor may have officially propelled...

SpyGuy

Oct 30, 2017
We must not forget the sacrifices of World War One and two. They were tremendous!
Why are we still going down this path ?! We have to do better.
sigh.
"i vow to thee my country" playing in the background....

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Let me phrase it another way, if the Axis did not harm the allies, the allies would not attack them regardless of how facist they were.

I'm not belittling the allies, the Axis were definitely evil and definitely needed to be stopped, and I'm grateful the allies did, and they were heroes for doing so. I think it is heroic to protect one's family and country from real and deadly threats like Nazis. You don't have to pretend they did it to fight for democracy or to destroy fascism.

They fought against facists, and facism was one of their enemies greatest tools but they wouldn't have any qualms allying with a facist state if it suited them.
Well followed up.

People have to realise the Allies were not White Knights fighting for solidarity, equality and justice. It was Realpolitik. They were Facists as well, just a more diluted form than Hitler.

Look at how Left Wing politics were massacred in America in the decades leading up to World War 2.

If Hitler stayed within German borders, would the German Jews have ever been rescued? It's a poignant thought.

Allies did some fascist stuff back then, too. See internment camps.
Exactly. Fascism needs to be disassociated with being exclusively seen as "EXTREME FAR RIGHT" in peoples minds. It's nuanced and not black and white, and most countries in history have been fascist and even to this day most countries in the World are fascist to some extent.

That's why trouble at Protests is so common, even in the "free West".

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
More like fascists fighting other fascists. Especially the US. Fucking hate how americans tout themself as some kind of freedom fighters against fascism when it was the UDSSR that did most of the work. And they only joined the war once it hurt their own imperialist goals.

Gorger

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I've been to Normandy twice, seen the beaches, paid my respect to the fallen at the graveyard which is an endless ocean of crosses spanning as far as the eye can see. What hits me the hardest is seeing how young so many of the men were, so many senseless lives lost.. young boys in their 18 and early 20's who most likely had no idea what they were getting themselves into. Their sacrifice must never be forgotten, we owe everything to the men and women who fought against Nazi Germany. I hope I'll get to see Normandy again in 2024.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was always crazy to me to learn of the tanks that were supposed to land on the beaches but never made it due to lack of foresight.

There's actually an enormous comedy of errors during WWII from pearl harbor and not listening to radar men due to pride, lining up planes due to racism and other lack of foresight. And France not ending the war before the blitzkrieg (they had the opportunity) because their general's refused to believe their scouts were right about the Germans getting there far sooner than they predicted. Because general's know best you stupid scouts. Don't challenge authority.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
For some parts of the world, the Allies had been the ones who had been maintaining colonial oppression.
Let's take a moment to remember that Britain fed itself through the war and went through it not just due to "British wartime spirits" but also by starving India. 3 million people died of hunger and Churchill blamed it on Indians "breeding like rabbits"

The romaticisation of the two wars as some pure heroic war on evil is really disconcerting and rose tinted glasses stuff. The young soldiers and civilians who died in it deserve recognition and respect but the war itself doesn't....especially the first war (which would inevitably lead to circumstances that caused the 2nd war through the massively unfair Treaty of Versailles).

Last edited: