• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
Capture_decran_2024-02-09_a_00.03.46.png

www.resetera.com

PS5 had sold 50mn units as Of Dec. 9th 2023, November Was The Biggest Nov. In PS History Sales - Sony

https://www.ft.com/content/3b89e9f7-e3cf-4e60-bfa4-987af24efa75 Edit: https://sonyinteractive.com/en/press-releases/2023/playstation-5-50-million-sold/
PS5 was at 50m sold through as of december 9th, which should place it at ~52m-54m as of december 31
So xbox should be at ~23m-25m sold through

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
That makes sense.

I just saw someone on the other thread saying Xbox was at 30M and seemed to high for me as I remembered other estimations being in the low 20's a few months ago.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
2-3 million World Wide in roughly 20 days of December? Historical numbers agrees with this? Should it be less/more/same? Seems low to me, specially because what Sony's target is.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
I mean, I get it, given how they spent, but there are consoles that have sold much worse and don't get the "no one bought it" treatment than ...

Nevermind. Pick your battles.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what Gen Take Two will lump Switch 2 in with

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I get it, given how they spent, but there are consoles that have sold much worse and don't get the "no one bought it" treatment than ...

I think it's more about the trend, sales peaked really fast and are slowing down at an alarming rate so early into the console cycle.

Also expectations, people thought this gen sales would be much higher than last, if not on par with Sony, and instead are worse than last gen, that was tainted by a disastrous presentation of the One.

Noone expected sales to go down instead of up this gen.

Last edited:

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Xbox sales are not great but it's not that bad in itself. What's worrying is the declining trend 360>One>XS, and the curve of XS looking terrible.

Combined total is decent, but honestly I expected more growth, especially coming from developing countries.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Not bad for now but I can imagine that hardware gap is going to accelerate rapidly especially with a Pro console on the market for Sony

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox sales are not great but it's not that bad in itself. What's worrying is the declining trend 360>One>XS, and the curve of XS being looking terrible.

Combined total is decent, but honestly I expected more growth, especially coming from developing countries.
I don't think it's "not that bad". If the console has already stopped growing YoY by the 3rd year, that's not a good symbol. And further declines are to be expected this year too, considering guidance on this first CY quarter is less than a million shipped consoles.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
If Xbox is 24~ mill wont gonna be 40 mill + - in 2026 when (maybe) the next gen xbox console gets release.

Amy Hood said like -40% for now HW so its gonna be like 35-36 mill in 2026.

This is really bad.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Xbox sales are not great but it's not that bad in itself. What's worrying is the declining trend 360>One>XS, and the curve of XS being looking terrible.

its not great at all, that line is going down

and growth from developing countries? where is MS investing in growth in developing countries?

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
And this is why their GP business is off of Xbox, they can't continue to grow it there, not at the rate they want, with such low sales. PS5 is doing amazing, I wonder how far it'll go?

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
I think it's more about the trend, sales peaked really fast and are slowing down at an alarming rate so early into the console cycle.

Also expectations, people thought this gen sales would be much higher than last, if not on par with Sony, and instead are worse than last gen, that was tainted by a disastrous presentation of the One.

Noone expected sales to go down instead of up.
I don't feel like being salty Xbox defense force, but there's always that thing of, the way people describe vs the actual numbers. Like I was under the Xbox One sold like 30 or something the way people talked about it only to find out the number and the huge crime was just less than the 360.

And like people are saying here when you describe it as a 3-1 ratio and it turns out it's 2-1, previously claims just seem so needlessly exaggerated. It's obviously not great, especially given how much they've spent, but I'm not gonna go around saying no one owns this acting like they're gonna drop this product entirely next week.

It's like that thing where someone says something is bad, but it's not as bad as they're saying, but you don't want to defend it because they're wrong, but it's still misleading. So after while it's eh, what's the point?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
That makes sense.

I just saw someone on the other thread saying Xbox was at 30M and seemed to high for me as I remembered other estimations being in the low 20's a few months ago.
Yeah, I didnt see that thread but I assumed it was closer to 30.

If Xbox is 24~ mill wont gonna be 40 mill + - in 2026 when (maybe) the next gen xbox console gets release.

Amy Hood said like -40% for now HW so its gonna be like 35-36 mill in 2026.

This is really bad.
Right, ppl wanting a next gen in 2026...Series sales will drop even more if it comes in 2026. But it might not even matter....

Whew....

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think it's "not that bad". If the console has already stopped growing YoY by the 3rd year, that's not a good symbol. And further declines are to be expected this year too, considering guidance on this first CY quarter is less than a million shipped consoles.

I completely agree, the rest of my post emphasized the trend.

From 90M 360 to 60M One to probably 30-40M for the SXS, despite the hundreds of billions of investment over 20 years.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

The big alarm bell is their forecast for the next quarter/year. They're projecting major drops and it's unclear how they're meant to turn it around

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
And like people are saying here when you describe it as a 3-1 ratio and it turns out it's 2-1, previously claims just seem so needlessly exaggerated. It's obviously not great, especially given how much they've spent, but I'm not gonna go around saying no one owns this acting like they're gonna drop this product entirely next week.
that 3-to-1 was describing last years sales, not total sales

ps5 is no longer in a hardware shortage situation

Deleted member 12823

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 22, 2022
I don't feel like being salty Xbox defense force, but there's always that thing of, the way people describe vs the actual numbers. Like I was under the Xbox One sold like 30 or something the way people talked about it only to find out the number and the huge crime was just less than the 360.

It's like that thing where someone says something is bad, but it's not as bad as they're saying, but you don't want to defend it because they're wrong, but it's still misleading. So after while it's eh, what's the point?
Series is going to end up selling 30 something.
It's past year and now is abysmal. The first 2 years makes it seem not so bad.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Xbox said they had +21M back in March. I have no idea what Take Two is using to get 77M

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

But the thing is....if its was at 3-1 and now isnt....and its looking like it will go back to 3-1 in the future....

does it really matter?

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
its not great at all, that line is going down

and growth from developing countries? where is MS investing in growth in developing countries?

PlayStation is definitely investing more to strengthen its penetration in Africa and Asia, Microsoft isn't doing much.

But I just thought the global growth of gaming would have led to bigger console bases, when in fact it seems gaming mostly grows through mobile (and PC) nowadays.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I would expect this isn't accurate to be honest. I'm in UK and even here it doesn't feel like 2-1. Feels like 3 or maybe 4-1.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I would expect this isn't accurate to be honest. I'm in UK and even here it doesn't feel like 2-1. Feels like 3 or maybe 4-1.
well UK is different, xbox is barely a thing there

all xbox has really is NA and Mexico i think, maybe some south american countries before the price increases?

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Xbox sales are not great but it's not that bad in itself. What's worrying is the declining trend 360>One>XS, and the curve of XS looking terrible.

You and I both. Gaming as a hobby feels bigger and more ever-present than ever, but I feel like Gen 9 sales aren't really reflecting as much?

I remember when it felt like every household had at least a Wii and then either a PS3 or 360, though now it feels pretty rare as to whether a household even has one platform.

Is the console industry growing and I'm just out-of-touch? Or have PC, mobile, and Switch largely eaten the traditional console-makers lunch somewhat?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Xbox said they had +21M back in March. I have no idea what Take Two is using to get 77M
It's combined with PlayStation 5 sales which are at least 50 million. Give or take to either to figure out where the remaining 6 million came from.

Also, it will always amuse me that after reading people in the industry as devs or analyst complain for years that nobody in the industry uses the generation labels gamers do. One Microsoft FTC case later that used the terminology has suddenly made pop up in a lot more reports like this.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
It's hard to fathom how Xbox is doing worse than the Xbox One right now. But when you look at their software offerings it seems like the only franchise they regularly lean on is Forza.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to fathom how Xbox is doing worse than the Xbox One right now. But when you look at their software offerings it seems like the only franchise they regularly lean on is Forza.

Current gen being a continuation of last gen more or less with all the games coming out on both gens and your purchases carrying over makes it less likely for people to switch platforms.

They picked the wrong generation to lay an egg in with Xbox One. If 360/PS3 gen was the start of the endless generation, we'd be in a very different environment, but they had enough of a break for people to switch.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

People are describing two different things. In sales threads, when PS5 wins 3-1 for that time period, it doesn't mean the total install base. Throughout most of 2023, PS5 was outselling it 3-1, and that's what people were referring too. in 2021 they were a lot closer, and that's what people said.

This is different from total install base.

Jan 15, 2019
You and I both. Gaming as a hobby feels bigger and more ever-present than ever, but I feel like Gen 9 sales aren't really reflecting as much?

I remember when it felt like every household had at least a Wii and then either a PS3 or 360, though now it feels pretty rare as to whether a household even has one platform.

Is the console industry growing and I'm just out-of-touch? Or have PC, mobile, and Switch largely eaten the traditional console-makers lunch somewhat?

The PS3 and 360 both topped out around 85-87 million, it's hard to imagine the PS5 not passing that around the end of next year.

It does feel like the uptake on the new systems has been a bit less enthusiastic this gen though, and I think that has to do with the introduction of pro consoles making this gen feel more like a half-step, as well as there still being only a small handful of games that would make casual observers say "Oh yeah there's no way that could be done on a PS4 Pro." I mean, I was just in Wal-Mart the other day and they still have a whole section dedicated to PS4 games. That just wasn't a thing 39 months into new gens previously. Like, you weren't going to find new N64 games in any store anywhere in early 2005, for comparison. The transition has definitely been a bit slower this time.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021

I wonder if they even would lump it with a specific gen. Trying to find the initial statement, but during the Wii/360/PS3 gen there was one third party that acknowledged the Wii's success but didn't consider it part of that generation - instead focusing on it being its own thing in its own space or something to that degree.