• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CJSeven

Oct 30, 2018
How is nobody saying that Uber deserves some of the blame here? They allow anyone and everyone to use the platform unchecked. If drivers have to receive background checks, it makes sense that users do, too. Just a couple of months ago in my town, there was an Uber driver who was stabbed several times and almost died at the hands of his passenger who...you guessed it, had several warrants out for his arrest for violent assault/armed robbery, etc.

I would say background checks on riders is not realistic, but something like 'X amount of verified rides before you can use some of these other services' should be considered, so scammers can't do this kind of thing without having to go through more hoops to identity to themselves.

OP
OP
nilbog

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mean to imply you said anything like that. Just that the description of the attack from the article makes the guy sound way more unhinged. Wasn't calling you out or anything, sorry.

All good. Just for the record, I posted this because I really want people to be aware this kind of scam exists. As a former delivery person myself, I've run into situations where I was not welcome, and I was just delivering a package. I can't imagine someone unhinged getting a scam call like that, then sending another person to said house to deal with the consequences. It's a very dangerous kind of scam, but I can't emphasize in this case because the guy pulled out a gun and shot this woman several times. This shouldn't have happened, and I feel for her family.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
That is seriously fucked up.

I've heard about these scams, but I always thought the people that came to get the money were the scammers. It didn't occur to me that the driver might also have no idea what they're picking up or who they're dropping it off to (I didn't think that was a thing that Uber did). That's fucking scary.

But yeah, you don't fucking shoot somebody like that. Yeah, the scam is next-level bullshit, but this has those "wrong driveway" vibes all over it.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I would say background checks on riders is not realistic, but something like 'X amount of verified rides before you can use some of these other services' should be considered, so scammers can't do this kind of thing without having to go through more hoops to identity to themselves.

You are letting them off the hook by saying there's nothing that they can do. They could require a government ID or driver's license in order to use that account. They could require a debit or credit card tied to that ID, they could do background checks as well. All that would increase the amount of security on the platform exponentially. Unfortunately, convenience trump's safety.

I'm a driver with 23,000 rides under my belt. While I think in a general sense, Riders and drivers alike are extremely safe, I am definitely been uneasy a number of times with riders who should not be on the platform and who we cannot remove.

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
Ohio has a Stand Your Ground law and adheres to the Castle Doctrine. It will all depend on his actions in addition to the shooting and if the prosecution can make them matter enough to overcome the defense argument of "None of this would have happened if not for the threatening phone calls so who is really to blame here".
I know this state sucks but i would think shooting someone 2 more times after she's been incapacitated would be considered excessive, especially when said person was unarmed and posed no actual threat. Even with the scam call in mind would any reasonable person execute an uber driver on suspicion of being an assassin? because he didn't just shoot her, he shot her, shot her again and then executed her after stealing her phone.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
You are letting them off the hook by saying there's nothing that they can do. They could require a government ID or driver's license in order to use that account. They could require a debit or credit card tied to that ID, they could do background checks as well. All that would increase the amount of security on the platform exponentially. Unfortunately, convenience trump's safety.
Doesn't that just punish people that might have a difficult time getting an ID, which is usually going to be poorer populations? I'm just not sure how uploading an ID would signal that someone is a potential murderer or not.

Background checks against violent crimes could be useful, there's the issue of locking out people that have done their time from a service so I doubt you'd want to catch people up that have unpaid traffic tickets. I don't know that the killer here would have been flagged under such a system.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
This summarizes it decently:

"Mr. Brock received some scam call by a person purporting to be someone from our courts who informed him a family member was incarcerated and that he had a bond of a significant amount of money," Shultz said.

"The calls turned from 'I'm an officer in the court' to 'We have this subject hostage, this is a ransom demand.'"

The person who called Brock, or an accomplice, requested an Uber ride to his South Charleston home to pick up the money, Shultz said.

I'd have to imagine there would have been more to it afterwards to get the money into their hands.

Like that much makes sense, but why tell the guy the uber driver was gonna kill him if they just want the money?

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't that just punish people that might have a difficult time getting an ID, which is usually going to be poorer populations? I'm just not sure how uploading an ID would signal that someone is a potential murderer or not.

Background checks against violent crimes could be useful, there's the issue of locking out people that have done their time from a service so I doubt you'd want to catch people up that have unpaid traffic tickets. I don't know that the killer here would have been flagged under such a system.

Scammers permeate the system. I've had it happen multiple times while driving that someone calls me and acts like Uber Support or something similar. I'm savvy enough to not fall for scams, but if accounts had some sort of verifying information tied to them, these scams, and therefore tragedies like this one, would be mitigated, since far fewer scammers would try this nonsense if they knew they'd be traced.

Businesses and organizations that provide rides to disadvantaged people could still do so, since the orgs would be verified.

Like I said, obviously convenience trumps safety.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the day these motherfuckers just desperately wanna exercise their "rights." AKA they just wanna shoot someone. It's a power trip. Piece of garbage.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
In this particular case the 81 year old man does not fall into that category. He should have called the police when the Uber driver showed up (still scary for the Uber driver, but at least they'd still be alive).

I don't know about that. Black woman, the police being called on her by an elderly white man claiming she was trying to kill him... it seems bold to assume she'd survive.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Just waiting on when they catch the people who created this situation, and then have them get charged for murder as well.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
The scammer is lower than dogshit and the 81 year old handled that as badly as you possibly could. He took her phone, shot her in the leg, held her at gunpoint and then proceeded to shoot her two more times before calling the police.

She is a 60 year old woman who was non threatening and he had her wounded and at gunpoint. Looks like he was going to kill her no matter what she said.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Well, the old man was charged with murder.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/16/us/ohio-uber-driver-murder-charge/index.html

I just find it beyond ridiculous that we managed to ban lawn darts after two people died from them, yet guns kill tens of thousands of people every year and nothing is done about it. The gun lobby has a stranglehold on our political system.
It's because lawn darts aren't mentioned in the constitution. Complete removal of firearms from private citizens in the US is never going to happen. There is too many in private hands and there is no way to remove them or compensate the owners properly without a significant loss of life.

The best we can hope for is better limitations going forward like heavy taxes on ammo and licenses as well as more detailed background checks.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Just waiting on when they catch the people who created this situation, and then have them get charged for murder as well.
We both know those pieces of shit don't live in the US and likely used a Google voice number or whatever than won't be traced. Only way we get justice is by putting that 81 year old fucker in gen pop and have the warden look the other way.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
We both know those pieces of shit don't live in the US and likely used a Google voice number or whatever than won't be traced. Only way we get justice is by putting that 81 year old fucker in gen pop and have the warden look the other way.
Physical cash scams are less likely to be out of the US scam.

Wiring scams are typically from out of the US.

There's a reason why they usually do wiring scams, because it's harder to track, and even if they do and they're out of the country, it doesn't matter.

Cash scams will usually require some person to cash the scammed money after.

In any case, it's a total tragedy, and I'm hoping somebody else will be held responsible for this at some point.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Physical cash scams are less likely to be out of the US scam.

Wiring scams are typically from out of the US.

There's a reason why they usually do wiring scams, because it's harder to track, and even if they do and they're out of the country, it doesn't matter.

Cash scams will usually require some person to cash the scammed money after.

In any case, it's a total tragedy, and I'm hoping somebody else will be held responsible for this at some point.
If that's the case, find those fuckers and charge them with murder and elder abuse.

Feb 9, 2018
It's because lawn darts aren't mentioned in the constitution. Complete removal of firearms from private citizens in the US is never going to happen. There is too many in private hands and there is no way to remove them or compensate the owners properly without a significant loss of life.

The best we can hope for is better limitations going forward like heavy taxes on ammo and licenses as well as more detailed background checks.
I know total abolition of civilian firearms likely won't ever happen in the U.S. (hell, it technically hasn't happened in any developed nation), but we can't even manage the bare minimum of gun control measures to prevent this constant carnage. Hell, we can't even suggest doing anything lest the usual suspects dig in their heels, hypocritically accuse us of "politicizing tragedies," and insist on "thoughts and prayers" instead. Tens of thousands of people dead every year, and for a large chunk of the American people that's just the price to pay for Freedom™. The lawn darts thing was to illustrate that elected officials will put up appearances of wanting to do things to save lives, but things that actually are serious, commonplace threats to public health are treated as an unavoidable facts of life despite these premature deaths being imminently preventable. In most cases, there's very powerful industries blocking reform, industries that profit mightily off of human suffering and have done everything in their power to make us dependent (or at least feel like we're dependent) upon them.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the day these motherfuckers just desperately wanna exercise their "rights." AKA they just wanna shoot someone. It's a power trip. Piece of garbage.

It kind of seems like in certain states in the US, you might actually be able to get away with murder as long as you register yourself as the resident of a property, and then have your intended murder victim show up, then just claim Stand Your Ground as you shoot them to death. I'm kind of surprised more mob executions aren't done this way.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
This story is very disturbing. The scammer obviously deserves the blame for setting the whole scenario in motion, but the old man's actions are shockingly depraved on top of that. That woman didn't deserve any part of what happened to her. Everyone else in this story deserves a murder conviction.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about it, if the scammer ordered a uber to the old man's house. Don't the person ordering need a card?

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY

I'm a driver with 23,000 rides under my belt. While I think in a general sense, Riders and drivers alike are extremely safe, I am definitely been uneasy a number of times with riders who should not be on the platform and who we cannot remove.
I've only done food delivery for Uber and DoorDash for fun and I quit because all the stores I was hearing from other dashers about customers pulling guns on them or letting their dogs on them. It just was worth my safety.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
He's not going to get off. He certainly wasn't fearing for his life with an unarmed injured woman on the ground. Also it looks like there's footage of it given the screenshot I saw of him aiming at the woman, and it's probably fucking awful.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
1. Fuck the scammer.

2. Fuck the old man for murdering a completely innocent person and not even giving the whole thing a second thought.

3. Fuck guns. We need much stronger gun laws in this country, as well as regular competency checks for anyone who owns one. If their first instinct is to shoot without any sort of realistic evaluation of the situation, then they shouldn't have a gun. Period.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
What a fucking infuriating story.

Fuck the scammers, and fuck this dude for the many, many dumb as fuck decisions he made that cost this poor woman her life.

If I was receiving threatening phone calls all day, I'd report it to the police. I have no love for cops here in this country, but at the very least, I'd want to get it on record in case something happened.

Then, when some stranger came knocking on my door, I wouldn't fucking answer the god damned door, even if I had a gun. I'd once again call the cops to report that a stranger has appeared at my door, after I had been receiving threats all day, and tell them that I was armed, but to please send some officers over immediately.

At no point would I ever consider opening my door and engaging with a stranger after receiving threatening calls all day.

Realistically, I'd probably make sure my doors and windows were locked, and go hide while I called the cops.

This dude no doubt felt like a big man with his shiny metal murder tool, and wanted to "confront" the person to feel like a tough guy.

Now someone is dead, because he's a fucking idiot, and scammers are horrible human beings.

I hope they're also able to trace the scammers, because they should also be held accountable for this. Just a disgusting and tragic story.

I have no sympathy for the old guy, and definitely no sympathy for the scammers should they be caught.

My heart goes out to the victim who was just trying to do an Uber assignment to make some extra cash. Just heartbreaking and this so soured my mood and now I'm just pissed.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
This really hits home. That could have been my Mom.

I didn't realize one of the videos I clicked discussing it would have an extended version. This woman pleaded, screamed and cried for her life, he mocked her screams, and told her he'd shoot her in the head. She begged.

Throw him in the slammer. Scammer or not. I have unfortunately gotten desensitized to a lot of the mess that goes on but this makes me incredibly angry.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I admittedly have some sympathy for the older guy as he was fearing for his life in that moment and was probably coerced into thinking this person was about to murder him (and as someone else already said, elderly people are preyed on by the media to feel scared on a daily basis). On the other hand, this sort of reaction is simply indefensible and he should absolutely be charged.. Just crappy all around.
Nah fuck that. Read the article it wasn't like he just shoy her from afar in some weird situation where he wasn't able to ascertain who she might be. He literally talks to her and steals her phone and gets her out of the car at gunpoint. It's fucking sick and I have not even close to an ounce of sympathy for him