• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/15/8bitdos-pro-plus-controller-customization-nintendo-switch/

The latest controller from the minds of 8BitDo is fully customizable, allowing you to adjust button configurations and sensitivity levels for the joysticks, triggers and vibrations. Using 8BitDo's Ultimate Software, you can also set up macros for the SN30 Pro+ controller and with custom profiles, you can save settings on a game-by-game basis. The SN30 Pro+ works with Nintendo Switch, PC, macOS and Android, and the battery should be good for up to 20 hours of use on a single charge.

Coming August 5th ($50):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ND166P6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Those features are great, and that just looks like a nice as hell controller anyway. I want that OG Gameboy colorway.

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
Does Nintendo actively support 3rd party controllers that connect wirelessly like this? Or do you always run the risk of them not working with a new firmware update via Nintendo?

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
FINALLY! These were supposed to be out a while ago. I guess they delayed to add all the customization.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who bought the sf30 pro, US and Gameboy editions.....I will easily spend another $50 for one of these. The controllers are great.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
This was supposed to come out late last year but they kept postponing it. It seems they have added a lot of features. I'm buying one as soon as it appears in their Aliexpress store.

SrirachaX

Apr 12, 2019
Been waiting to get these since they got annouced; gonna have to put in a pre-order for one of these soon

Needham

Oct 25, 2017
It would be cool to get button remapping on older controllers. I would love to remap the M30's Switch controls.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Cool beans. It is funny that 8bitdo are still marketing an off-brand PS4 controller as a snes+, but I have one and I enjoy it for emulators and the like. D-pad is okay-good which makes it amazing by today's shitty standards.

That being said: The build quality on 8bitdo stuff seems to vary wildly. I haven't run into any issues but I've seen lots of folk who use it as their primary on their switches or whatever dealing with faulty contacts and loose analog sticks.

At 50 bucks it is probably worth it if you are in the market. At the very least, a way to add basic accessibility features like button remapping to the switch sounds awesome (for those who aren't pure handheld). But I imagine stuff like the joystick and trigger (?!?) sensitivity is going to be a lot less useful as those loosen up over time. Reminds me of when I had an adapter to use my Dual Shock 1 on my PC and I had to recalibrate the sticks at least once a day.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
I've literally been waiting 13 months for this.
Pre-ordered. Glad that its release is just 23 days away.

Thanks, OP. :)

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got an 8bitdo for SMM2, and while I really like it, I feel like syncing the thing could be less painless.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will these be just as wonky as current 8bitdo's, or will they behave more like an actual Pro controller?

What I mean is, will these be able to wirelessly wake the Switch from sleep or will I still need an official controller?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so bummed if they really can't do PAL SNES designs anymore, I love my SF30 Pro and I would buy a PAL SNES Plus in a heartbeat. Really the biggest feature of these that isn't even advertised is the ability to store a MAC-address per mode so I can use my SF30 Pro with my PC, Switch, Android phone and my Macbook without having to re-pair anything.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'll miss the PAL SNES/SFC design, I love that design so much.

The SN30 Pro+ works with Nintendo Switch, PC, macOS and Android
I really hope these controllers are supported some time in the future by iOS, iPadOS and TVOS now that PlayStation and Xbox controllers are supported. SF30 Pro would be a perfect controller for SteamLink on AppleTV.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'll miss the PAL SNES/SFC design, I love that design so much.

I really hope these controllers are supported some time in the future by iOS, iPadOS and TVOS now that PlayStation and Xbox controllers are supported. SF30 Pro would be a perfect controller for SteamLink on AppleTV.

You know I have no means to test it at the moment with my SF30 Pro but they might actually work out of the box in Xinput Mode. Steam Input picks the SF30 Pro up as an XBOX Controller.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
This was gonna be my Sekiro controller way back when they first announced it but the release got pushed forward. Good to see it finally be about to be released now.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You know I have no means to test it at the moment with my SF30 Pro but they might actually work out of the box in Xinput Mode. Steam Input picks the SF30 Pro up as an XBOX Controller.
I haven't jumped to any of the three betas yet, because they sound pretty janky, but that's my secret hope. I haven't found anyone mentioning this when I google search it, though.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't jumped to any of the three betas yet, because they sound pretty janky, but that's my secret hope. I haven't found anyone mentioning this when I google search it, though.

Yeah that's the reason I didn't try it yet too, I guess it depends on how rigid Apple is in their controller-detection and how accurately 8bitdo handles XInput mode. Also I would assume the overlap of people who have a SF/SN30 and try the iPadOS / tvOS betas is minuscule.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I need a new controller since my pro controller has a stick drift issue that's getting worse. I'd rather not give Nintendo another $60 for a shoddy controller with a shitty 3 month warranty, so I hope these sticks feel nice. I've tried other 3rd party controllers in the past and my biggest complaint is always the stick tension being too high.

So this has hair trigger tuning, so that means its analog triggers. Tbh I'd rather they just be digital triggers like the pro controller. Analog is entirely unnecessary and imprecise, but I guess the hair trigger settings can fix some of that.
I'm interested. Sounds like I can remap Bayonetta's dumb button setup with this.
Please don't remap the dodge to a face button... Learn to dodge offset! It's really fun!

kalgore

Oct 29, 2017
I really like the 8bitdo controllers. I have 4 of them. The only thing that sucks is that you can't power the Switch up remotely with them.

I am probably going to buy this one just so I can move the power slide buttons off the bumpers in CTR.

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
I need a new controller since my pro controller has a stick drift issue that's getting worse. I'd rather not give Nintendo another $60 for a shoddy controller with a shitty 3 month warranty, so I hope these sticks feel nice. I've tried other 3rd party controllers in the past and my biggest complaint is always the stick tension being too high.

So this has hair trigger tuning, so that means its analog triggers. Tbh I'd rather they just be digital triggers like the pro controller. Analog is entirely unnecessary and imprecise, but I guess the hair trigger settings can fix some of that.

Please don't remap the dodge to a face button... Learn to dodge offset! It's really fun!
It's pretty easy and inexpensive to replace the thumbsticks on a joycon. Check this thread.

My only problem with Bayonetta's buttons is that the target lock button is R and the dodge button is ZR. I like the ZR button being dodge, but it's hard to be ready to dodge if I'm already using my finger to hold down R to target something! Since dodging is more important than targeting to me, I've had to play much of the game without targeting enemies, which means there are some attacks that I can't do.

Supposedly the devs said that Bayonetta did not need a button remap feature.

In Bayonetta 2, target lock is ZL which makes way more sense.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting vs the 8BitDo SN30Pro, which I have two of, this ** are not at the bottom of their listing. Wonder if this will have any rumble, or Gyro stuff. The Pro does, did that get cut out here? For Switch I should add, not worried about PC.

Pro+

99abfb18-8749-46e6-9cc1-38b736b4a768.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

Pro
  • Rumble vibration
  • Motion controls
  • Turbo function
  • USB-C

• Controller Mode: X-input, D-input, Mac mode, Switch mode
  • Connectivity: Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 & USB-C
  • *The SN30 Pro features regular rumble vibration, not HD Rumble.

b39dc694-d9a8-475f-ba43-18550d69cbf3.__CR0,0,970,300_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I will have to see the size, their controllers run small for my big hands

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
It's pretty easy and inexpensive to replace the thumbsticks on a joycon. Check this thread.

My only problem with Bayonetta's buttons is that the target lock button is R and the dodge button is ZR. I like the ZR button being dodge, but it's hard to be ready to dodge if I'm already using my finger to hold down R to target something! Since dodging is more important than targeting to me, I've had to play much of the game without targeting enemies, which means there are some attacks that I can't do.

Supposedly the devs said that Bayonetta did not need a button remap feature.

In Bayonetta 2, target lock is ZL which makes way more sense.
I did look into this at some point, but my problem is actually on the pro controller and iirc you need to solder to replace those. I was hesitant to invest in a soldering kit just for one fix/mod, and I've never done it before.

Ah yeah that's a good point actually. I didn't use the lock-on much in bayonetta, but 2 fingers on the shoulder buttons is pretty awkward when you aren't used to it.

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
Looking at some responses on twitter:

• It does support motion controls on Switch, which is logical, since the last one did.
  • It will not wake up the Switch. I'm sure they have gotten a ton of feedback to add that so I'm betting it requires some kind of proprietary chip that's not possible, otherwise I'm sure it would have been added. Do any third party wireless controllers wake the Switch up?
  • Apparently the Dpad is fixed/improved. Someone asked about issue with accidental up/down presses and they responded that the issue has been fixed.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at some responses on twitter:

• It does support motion controls on Switch, which is logical, since the last one did.
  • It will not wake up the Switch. I'm sure they have gotten a ton of feedback to add that so I'm betting it requires some kind of proprietary chip that's not possible, otherwise I'm sure it would have been added. Do any third party wireless controllers wake the Switch up?
  • Apparently the Dpad is fixed/improved. Someone asked about issue with accidental up/down presses and they responded that the issue has been fixed.
Thanks for this. Not waking up the Switch is still a massive bummer, but not a deal breaker. I'm almost definitely picking this up, it looks like an incredible controller.