• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
pro2_1.0.jpg

Here's something I didn't expect. Wired only, you'll notice. Not a huge fan of this form factor-but alas, the black SN30 Pro for Android doesn't work on Xbox consoles. Also: wired? That's bold. Coming out on December 8, 2021.

• Officially Licensed by Xbox. Wired and compatible with Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One & Windows 10 and above.
  • Ultimate Software wirelessly with iOS and Android & wired on Xbox and PC.
  • Two extra Pro-level Back Buttons and 3.5mm Audio Jack to directly connect your headphones.
  • Customize button mapping, adjust stick & trigger sensitivity, vibration control and more
  • Perfect classic d-pad, trigger vibration, enhanced grip & a 3 meter cable.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The most common point of failure with their controllers has been their batteries and everything related to their batteries. I actually use my original Pro as a wired controller via a constant USB connection because the battery/power stuff is such a finicky POS.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Finally!!!

I've been asking for a third party controller for xbox with Dpad on top. Now let's hope the dapd is actually good

Edit: I twitted Phil about it last year and I specifically mentioned 8BitDo so thank me Era

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I'm a wee bit confused ... there's a market for symmetric sticks on Xbox? PC I can understand. But symmetric sticks and wired?

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Day freaking 1.
I've had issues with my 8bitdo's unfortunately but when they work (lol), they are by FAR the best Switch controller. I don't like Joycons for anything and the 3 official Pro controllers I own all have issues. Here's hoping the build quality on the new 8bitdo is a step up!

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Wired controllers are underrated for PC, wireless is less necessary on a desktop setup, and if you like to tinker, wired can be easier to set up in Linux, emulators, maybe a Pi, etc.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
The most common point of failure with their controllers has been their batteries and everything related to their batteries. I actually use my original Pro as a wired controller via a constant USB connection because the battery/power stuff is such a finicky POS.

Have you tried it with AA batteries? Both the Pro and Pro 2 support AAs.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Would recommend over Power A. Just wish they had a "scuff" type controller for 8Bitdo.

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried it with AA batteries? Both the Pro and Pro 2 support AAs.

Yes, my problem has been a combination of the electrical contact inside of the controller and the spring that keeps the battery in place so it remains in contact, or something like. I was able to fix the problem briefly by shoving paper into the battery slot so it kept better contact, but the moment there is any interruption to battery it turns off, requiring the process of turning back on and syncing.

I just get much better results when I keep it plugged in.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
I hate having to charge things so wired is nice. Will prob get this when my 360 controller bites the dust.

natanqb

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, my problem has been a combination of the electrical contact inside of the controller and the spring that keeps the battery in place so it remains in contact, or something like. I was able to fix the problem briefly by shoving paper into the battery slot so it kept better contact, but the moment there is any interruption to battery it turns off, requiring the process of turning back on and syncing.

This is weird, i never had this problem with any of their controllers.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
The dpad placement is the only thing I care about on this. It would be used for 2D platformers/Metroidvania only.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Options are always good. And having back buttons is nice and the price seems reasonable. I would never buy a controller with that layout of dual analog sticks but there are plenty that do it the other way so plenty of options available.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It has bluetooth, which means Steam will detect it.

I'll probably cop.

edit: Damn, misread the software thing as having wireless support for iOS & Android.

Probably won't cop.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Finally!!!

I've been asking for a third party controller for xbox with Dpad on top. Now let's hope the dapd is actually good

Edit: I twitted Phil about it last year and I specifically mentioned 8BitDo so thank me Era

I can't wait to have this same feeling but in reverse for my PS5. I absolutely can not stand the symmetrical sticks but I also understand how many feel the opposite. One step closer to everyone having a solution they like! I could see use for this with classic games but I don't know if I play enough on my Xbox to warrant it.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno

That's a bummer.

I've never had any issues with any of my 8bitdo controllers, and I've got a lot of them, ranging from the 2.4ghz SNES controllers up to the Pro 2.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Great extras, good price and with the right button layout too! I think this is my next controller. With a 3m cable included, I don't really mind it being wired. Reminds of the 360's insanely long cable.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I own the Switch wireless one and it pairs to my Brooks controller adapter that I own for Xbox, so I've got this controller working wirelessly on my Xbox already. :D

... just not with the Xbox-themed buttons, of course.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Really? For me it's been the rubber membrane failing leading to sticky buttons. Battery still lasts days upon days for me.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You can't use a wireless SN30 Pro with Xbox? Even with the 8bitdo usb dongle?

You need a Brook Wingman XB

I have this setup with the Nintendo Switch model of this controller and it works, just to confirm if that's something that you're interested in Tobor .

The one thing that's weirding me out lately is that my Xbox keeps wanting to push a controller firmware update to my Brook Wingman XB and I'm not sure it's safe to do. I've declined every time so far but it's still annoying to get the huge "Your controller needs an update" prompt every time I use the Brook.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Weird, this hasn't been my experience. With the SN30 Pro+ you can even use your own AA batteries if you want.

jaffaro

Banned
Mar 16, 2018
I hoped that they finally make xbox-style shaped controller but instead they announce Xbox controller in the same old form factor. Pro2 controller is incredible featurewise, especially for its pricepoint but unfortunately its not too comfortable. I don' get it why couldn't they make a controller with more modern shape and appeal to wider audience instead of sticking to olschool designs only.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
I have this setup with the Nintendo Switch model of this controller and it works, just to confirm if that's something that you're interested in Tobor .

The one thing that's weirding me out lately is that my Xbox keeps wanting to push a controller firmware update to my Brook Wingman XB and I'm not sure it's safe to do. I've declined every time so far but it's still annoying to get the huge "Your controller needs an update" prompt every time I use the Brook.

I had this same issue. Went to the Brook website and they released a firmware update to the Wingman XB that fixes it.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Ironically, that's what happened to my Xbox 360 controllers. But buying some off-brand battery cases off of eBay and replacing it worked WONDERS.

Zombegoast

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully compatibility is improved as playing PC games like Halo caused the controller to endlessly rumble until I removed the battery

nillarilla

Feb 10, 2019
The new series controller kills my hands for some reason - and I have big hands. I always loved the DS4 and this kinda looks about that size so I'm all the way in

JoelShmoe

Jun 12, 2020
I just got a series X. I'm wondering if the series controller has less latency wired vs wireless? Or if the difference is big enough to matter.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
That looks pretty decen, but I'm set for Xbox/PC already with options. It's a shame Sony is being so ridiculous with their controller lock-out this gen and there are essentially no alternatives other than the Dualsense, which is super uncomfortable for me.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
I wish the 8bitdo controllers work on Xbox. I bought these for the Switch and I was shocked that they did not work for Xbox. I was under the impression that the Xbox was more like a PC and that every bluetooth compatible controller would work on it. Very surprising.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I wish the 8bitdo controllers work on Xbox. I bought these for the Switch and I was shocked that they did not work for Xbox. I was under the impression that the Xbox was more like a PC and that every bluetooth compatible controller would work on it. Very surprising.

I don't quite get why controllers with the xinput standard don't work on Xbox.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Thank God. I always thought it was bizarre that 8BitDo released that Xbox-branded Android controller that wasn't Xbox-compatible. Nice to finally see Xbox getting an 8BitDo controller.

I'm a wee bit confused ... there's a market for symmetric sticks on Xbox? PC I can understand. But symmetric sticks and wired?
I prefer controllers with the d-pad in the primary position for 2D games. I'd definitely prefer a wireless one, but yeah, I'll take this.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Looked like a wired version of their SN30 pro+, which is neat. I'd maybe be interested in this as a wireless controller as a backup for the main controller I got with my Series S.