• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I have lost faith in 8bitdo. My 2 sn30 controllers are giving me weird dpad input. Playing fighting games with it can be annoying as some directional input donr register properly. Too bad cause I was about to order the sn30 pro but I have heard that the dpad is the same.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I spent some more time with this and I think I'm going to return it. I tried playing Super Mario World with it, and I randomly duck. In Contra III, sometimes I can't shoot straight down while jumping or end up aiming diagonally and jumping while trying to drop down a platform. I walk to the sides in games where you press up to go in a door and stuff, like in Hollow Knight. I love the look of the controller and it feels pretty good, but I'm really disappointed with this d-pad. That's what I bought it for.

julealgon

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
These reports on poor DPADs saddens me. Why is it so darn difficult to create a good DPAD? Even Nintendo seems to have screwed it up this generation.

It should have been perfected by now, what's happening?

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
He'll with it. Just buy some cherry mx mechanical keyboard buttons next time sony and Nintendo. Tired of replacing dpads

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
How's the rumble currently? A part of me would kind of like an SF30 Pro to go with Octopath Traveler, but that HD rumble is really nice.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
How's the rumble currently? A part of me would kind of like an SF30 Pro to go with Octopath Traveler, but that HD rumble is really nice.

Honestly I would call it serviceable, it's not bad but also not good, for example playing Mario Kart 8 with rumble on my SF30 Pro made my fingers numb the first time because that game is always rumbling and it's a soft kind of rumbling. This might be though since the game sends HD rumble commands while the controller doesn't support it.

SWoS

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I've had the sf30 for around 5 months and for the last month or so the rubber on the left thumb stick is peeling away around the edge. Has anyone else had this happen or have I been unlucky?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just updated my SFC30 Pro for the first time, from 1.03 to 5.03.

Now whenever I turn the thing on, it just vibrates like crazy and never stops. Doesn't connect to anything. Just vibrates.

WTF?

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had mine a while now and it works great but the buttons are so damn loud. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm not averse to opening the controller up even. But this clicking is driving me crazy.

Antsa

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just read from a review that Power A Gamecube controller can actually wake Switch from sleep! I think that this is the first 3rd party controller that has this ability. Hope 8 Bitdo could also implement this in their controllers.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just read from a review that Power A Gamecube controller can actually wake Switch from sleep! I think that this is the first 3rd party controller that has this ability. Hope 8 Bitdo could also implement this in their controllers.
Whelp. Gonna sell off the 8bitdo's then.

Wake from sleep is crucial. It's still finnicky getting the 8bitdo's to pair, after all this time.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Whelp. Gonna sell off the 8bitdo's then.

Wake from sleep is crucial. It's still finnicky getting the 8bitdo's to pair, after all this time.

Hmm odd, which 8bitdo controller do you have? My SF30 Pro pairs flawlessly with my Switch, PC, my Macbook and my Android test-phone and I frequently switch between different PCs with it and it always pairs instantly. But yeah the lack of wake-from-sleep on the Switch's side is annoying :/

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm odd, which 8bitdo controller do you have? My SF30 Pro pairs flawlessly with my Switch, PC, my Macbook and my Android test-phone and I frequently switch between different PCs with it and it always pairs instantly. But yeah the lack of wake-from-sleep on the Switch's side is annoying :/
The issue is that I have to do a bunch of bullshit with another controller going to the controllers page and then holding buttons for 3 seconds - 3 minutes depending on the pad's mood.

Even if it connect fast, the fact that I even have to connect it is shitty. It needs to just work. Wake Switch from sleep, always stay connected to Switch. I want something to just be a normal pro controller, without all the fuckery.

Are these the wireless GC controllers?
Yep.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerA-Wireless-Controller-Nintendo-Switch-GameCube/dp/B07GXLBCC3

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is that I have to do a bunch of bullshit with another controller going to the controllers page and then holding buttons for 3 seconds - 3 minutes depending on the pad's mood.

Even if it connect fast, the fact that I even have to connect it is shitty. It needs to just work. Wake Switch from sleep, always stay connected to Switch. I want something to just be a normal pro controller, without all the fuckery.

Yep.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerA-Wireless-Controller-Nintendo-Switch-GameCube/dp/B07GXLBCC3

Sounds almost like you have a faulty pad, I never had any issues like that, my SF 30 Pro works like a Pro Controller minus the wake-up. Did you check if the controller has a firmware update?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds almost like you have a faulty pad, I never had any issues like that, my SF 30 Pro works like a Pro Controller minus the wake-up. Did you check if the controller has a firmware update?
It doesn't though, because you first have to connect it using the "change controller order" screen.

Like, "minus the wake up" is precisely the thing that makes this not work like a Pro controller.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I was hoping for an update on the release date of the SN30 Pro+. Any word on that?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't though, because you first have to connect it using the "change controller order" screen.

Like, "minus the wake up" is precisely the thing that makes this not work like a Pro controller.

Oh I think I know what your issue is now, the wake-up part. They way I do it, I just press the power-button on my docked Switch for 2 seconds so it wakes up and then press start on the controller, it instantly auto-connects without further ado.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else been really disappointed with their SF30 (the first generation) controllers? - after six months of moderate use the dpad on mine has become loose and audibly rattles and shifts during gameplay. My second controller has had far less use but is already showing the same signs of wear.

I've bitten the bullet and instead ordered 2 of their wireless conversion kits for my SNES classic controllers, I did the same with my NES classic and I've been pretty happy as they're the perfect mix of wireless and OEM build quality.

Antsa

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have SF30 and SF30 Pro and I have been super satisfied on their D Pads but there are tons of unhappy people so I guess there is something finicky. According to Lon Seidman the newest SN30's Dpad is finally much improved so I guess 8 Bitdo is really listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWBEqlCMGpE

Listai

Oct 27, 2017
I have SF30 and SF30 Pro and I have been super satisfied on their D Pads but there are tons of unhappy people so I guess there is something finicky.

The pad still works reasonably well it's more of a tactile problem - I have 30 year old Super Famicom pads that feel more solid.

Anyway I'm looking forward to getting the conversion kits in; I've been using my NES classic controllers on my AV Famicom and they've been fantastic.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, after evangelizing the controller for ages (and also not using it for a while) my SF30 Pro won't even turn on.

It charges, I can update the firmware, but it flat out won't turn on. Not sure what to do at this point.

Edit: ah whoops I'm an idiot, looking at the wrong LEDs.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Firmware 1.30 for the SN30 Pro is out, for both the old and new design.

Can anyone confirm the latency problem when using the SN30 Pro combined with Joy-Con has been fixed. If so I might buy them again (had the old SN &SF30 Pro with the SNES and Super Famicom design).

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still super scared updating my SF30 Pro, it's working fine and I heard of so many horror-stories upgrading the firmware.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I tried to update mine on a Mac recently and couldn't do it. The instructions they gave didn't match what I was seeing in my menus and I couldn't manage to make anything happen. I felt quite dumb. Anyone using a Mac to update?

Deleted member 49166

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Yes, just download the update tool. Open it. Connect the SN30 pro via usb c while pressing both L + R. This way the controller enters update mode (red led close to the usb connector is blinking).

Worked flawless for me.

OP
OP
chanunnaki

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HB8lypOITtePHK5DKmUPfg_thumb_8d2.jpg

Finally got these. Only about a year late, but when I heard they were EOL'ed, I made it my business to get them.

They feel GREAT.

Deleted member 49166

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Still the diagonals are too sensitive. I stopped messing around with tape and ordered 2 original SNES controller. Hope by replacing the dpad + conductor will fix it (like some videos are claiming).
The old version furthermore had worse plastic on the analoque sticks, which wear off quite fast, but I like the colors and diagonal Start Select buttons.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Oh so there's been an update to 1.30 since february?
The DPad on mine is good, the only problem I noticed is the latency the more Controllers you have connected to the Switch. (Wired on PC theres obviously no problem).
Gonna try the update.
If it doesn't fix anything then oh well
Atleast it's a good controller in single player.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chanunnaki

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still the diagonals are too sensitive. I stopped messing around with tape and ordered 2 original SNES controller. Hope by replacing the dpad + conductor will fix it (like some videos are claiming).
The old version furthermore had worse plastic on the analoque sticks, which wear off quite fast, but I like the colors and diagonal Start Select buttons.

After playing with them extensively today, I would have to agree that the diagonals are a little overly sensitive. The dpad is also raised ~1mm higher than the original, which is noticeable when playing, this might be contributing to the different feel and sensitivity. I'm not really complaining though, still love it and can get used to it for sure. It might be annoying after some more time with it, we'll see.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I got rid of my SN30 Pro. It has a great design but the dpad got creaky and wasn't really reliable. And the dpad was the entire reason I got one of these.

Are they ever going to update this design? Everything else about this controller was perfect.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
They were pretty much replaced with these (much uglier) versions:

Screen-Shot-2019-03-27-00-00-25.76.png
Wait. I'm confused when it comes to thier current and past model numbers. What's thier best and most recent pro controller equivalent right now?

I got rid of my SN30 Pro. It has a great design but the dpad got creaky and wasn't really reliable. And the dpad was the entire reason I got one of these.

Are they ever going to update this design? Everything else about this controller was perfect.
What's going on with thier D-Pads? That's like the main reason I'd be interested in getting one of these since Pro Controller D-Pads apparently have problems.

OP
OP
chanunnaki

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait. I'm confused when it comes to thier current and past model numbers. What's thier best and most recent pro controller equivalent right now?

What's going on with thier D-Pads? That's like the main reason I'd be interested in getting one of these since Pro Controller D-Pads apparently have problems.

The just basically have these now (Designated "PRO):

And then there's these three (Designated "Pro +"):

These are all the pads with analog sticks, and yeah, I find it all pretty confusing too.
Here's the link, you can see them all yourself: http://www.8bitdo.com/#Products

OP
OP
chanunnaki

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
anybody still want these controllers with the Famicom/EU SNES coloured buttons should check out EBay. Stocks are running very low on all the stockists. I dunno if 8BitDo are actually still making these to sell on grey channels. I read a few months back that they were taken off the market to avoid any potential disputes with Nintendo. Just a heads up.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I went from very interested to reading some of the issues on this page and...I guess it's not worth it, then. Shame.

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017

D-pad on my SF30 pro stopped being an issue once I opened it and put some hole reinforcers over the contacts. The reason why they can be so unreliable with diagonals is because the contacts are a little bigger than they should be.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
D-pad on my SF30 pro stopped being an issue once I opened it and put some hole reinforcers over the contacts. The reason why they can be so unreliable with diagonals is because the contacts are a little bigger than they should be.
I remember seeing a vid on that, but I thought the issue was something what was fixed in one of their newer versions?

Listai

Oct 27, 2017

I ditched mine for the same reason, but if you can live without the analog sticks the 8bitdo DIY kits in an SNES Classic controller are fantastic, comparing them side to side throws the dpad of the SN30 into harsh relief.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Plastic quality of the analog stick on the SN30 Pro is so disappointing. After 3 month left analog started to peel off.