• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 9, 2024
Took them long enough.

Been waiting for this for years. MiSTer entry barrier is too steep, both in price and complexity, i've always been curious about FPGA emulation, but even the basic board was too pricey.

I hope this leads to an overall lower pricing and better availability in FPGA based products (looking at you, Analogue)

Siri

Nov 7, 2017
Even as a MiSTer owner, a cheaper or handheld variant sounds good to me in order to get it in the hands of as many potential developers as possible - I quite liked the look of the handheld that used the Tang board, but if something smaller than the existing MiSTer can be made with the existing chip and it runs Sorg's software and the existing cores with little issue, that's even better.

I found it quite funny when I had to lash up a makeshift power button which ended up using my battery power bank to run the MiSTer, and it ended up running perfectly fine for a couple of hours. It's nice that someone's looking into finessing that further.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Just occurred to me that whoever makes the handheld is probably going to stuff it up by requiring vsync_adjust=0 for it to function (i.e. inflexible refresh rates.) You really need vsync_adjust=2 for that low-lag experience that makes FPGA so compelling, but that means a display that can supporting a range of refreshes.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Just occurred to me that whoever makes the handheld is probably going to stuff it up by requiring vsync_adjust=0 for it to function (i.e. inflexible refresh rates.) You really need vsync_adjust=2 for that low-lag experience that makes FPGA so compelling, but that means a display that can supporting a range of refreshes.
I could very easily see someone making a handheld that uses the same or a similar screen to the Analogue Pocket, the screen itself is not prohibitively expensive, even if a more typical screen would result in a more mass market priced product.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

That's not even the biggest problem. The FPGA the MiSTer uses has an ARM core with no power management of any kind. This causes the FPGA to use quite a bit more power than it would otherwise and as a consequence it runs quite hot. The resulting handheld will likely require a a hefty battery or suffer poor battery life. It will also likely need active cooling which won't help the battery situation.

I love my mister, but the FPGA it uses is a poor choice to base a handheld on. Frankly there already exists a fantastic FPGA based handheld in the Analogue Pocket. It solves the problem you brought up by having a VRR screen. There are a few cons to the Pocket like being limited to the cores ported over to openfpga and not having a particularly large screen, but it's likely the best we'll do until someone creates another bespoke solution.

wutangflan

Aug 15, 2023
Looks like the majority of the cost savings are coming from removing a lot of the redundant power chips?

They priced gouged the DE-10 once they saw the demand, there no reason it shouldn't still be at the original price which is roughly the same as this.

I think there's a 480p option for PS1, which forces games into 480p, basically doubling the resolution, but I think that's about it.

There's a hack that can take 480i into 480p but it doesnt take any low res sprite elements eg UI into account and is generally a pretty buggy option, forcing 480p in DuckStation is a much better option.

Can a MiSTer do things like run PS1 games in a higher res, or it is just an "as close to perfect PS1 experience" vs software emulation?

No higher res options, a bigger FPGA is needed for enchancements like that. MiSTers PS1 core is no better than software emulation, worse in some respects even. The dev used DuckStation for the MDEC, GPU, CD access timings and other software documentation to build the core. If there is a bug in DuckStation its practicly a given that you will see the exact same thing on the MiSTer core.

Last edited:

wutangflan

Aug 15, 2023
MiSTer entry barrier is too steep, both in price and complexity,

The price even with the increase since Covid is still an absolute steal for what you get, just a CPS2 darksoft kit is costing way more than even the pricy setups. As for complexity, it's the most simple and easy to maintain emulation solution I have ever used, it's so easy.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The price even with the increase since Covid is still an absolute steal for what you get, just a CPS2 darksoft kit is costing way more than even the pricy setups. As for complexity, it's the most simple and easy to maintain emulation solution I have ever used, it's so easy.

I think they might have been referring to the complexity of physically assembling the components. Unless you manage to buy a prebuilt kit you have to buy the FPGA on its own then put together the memory, IO board, casing, etc.

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
The $15 RAM upgrade is a pretty great deal too since those sticks cost $50.

I ended up selling my Mister since I didn't use it enough to justify the $500 I put into it, but I'd happily pick one up again if it was under $200.

wutangflan

Aug 15, 2023
I think they might have been referring to the complexity of physically assembling the components. Unless you manage to buy a prebuilt kit you have to buy the FPGA on its own then put together the memory, IO board, casing, etc.

Assembling the components is also stupidly easy, I've done harder Lego sets with my little nephew lol.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Assembling the components is also stupidly easy, I've done harder Lego sets with my little nephew lol.

There are plenty of people who see something that needs assembling and go "Ahh, I'm sure I could do this but I don't want the risk or hassle. Is there a pre-built I can just buy?". There are also people (like me!) who have physical disabilities that make assembly more difficult and something to be avoided if at all possible.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Are you running the stock power supply or have you tried swapping out your current one? Just checking.

I've swapped it out. I think the issue is my USB hub uses the internal connector instead of its own barrel jack. But if I change the hub I need a new case, which means a new IO board too.

Jockel

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin
There are plenty of people who see something that needs assembling and go "Ahh, I'm sure I could do this but I don't want the risk or hassle. Is there a pre-built I can just buy?". There are also people (like me!) who have physical disabilities that make assembly more difficult and something to be avoided if at all possible.
If you want, you can DM me and I'll build you what you need for shipping costs. Not saying this because I don't think you have a point, but because I want to offer help.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Watching thread for updates.

I'd have probably gone MiSTer if I hadn't already picked up some Analogue consoles the analogue clones of NES, SNES and Genesis...and the Nt mini Noir includes stuff like Atari, although I don't have any OG Atari controllers).

I like using OG controllers as much as possible for twitchy retro games (wireless is fine for RPGs and stuff which admittedly is like a lot of what I end up actually playing).

I'd have to pick up some good low latency adapters (like say Raphnet) to emulate my current set up. So the price to go to MiSTer and having to sell the Analogue systems...haven't done it.

But it seems like going MiSTer would get me proper paddle support, and I do I have a fondness for some old paddle games like Kaboom!

So far hasn't been worth spending a bunch of money to change it as most of my play is NES and SNES anyway. I have a Pi4 modded Arcadeup running with most games on 1 frame of runahead for arcade games, and a ATgames Legends with spinners and a trackball for most arcade stuff anyway, and I almost never get around to playing them as it is.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
curiosity-curious.gif

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Tbh if the screen can handle odd refresh rates (not even vrr necessarily) you can use 1 instead just fine for input latency and studdering in the odd core (like, say, R-Type) that runs at 57hz. My 4k in the game room does it just fine but doesn't support vrr.

But then, I have my crt now so uh yeah.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK

DeciderVT

Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait and see if the clone board stands up to independent scrutiny. Very happy with my MiSTer so far, it's the best value I've ever had in all of my gaming hardware.

zyvorg

Oct 25, 2017
This is very exciting, will be hilarious if this comes to fruition before Analogue figures out how to send video signals from the Pocket's Dock to a CRT.

Price has definitely been the only reason keeping me away from the Mister, once you factor shipping, taxes, etc its more expensive than a Steam Deck OLED in my region.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really interested as I have a couple already but the handheld idea piques my interest. Pocket has been pretty disappointing.

metalwalnut

May 19, 2022
Sounds great, but I don't understand the legality on this. You can just clone someone else's electronics? (seriously, I don't know how that works, so that's not sarcasm or anything)

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds great, but I don't understand the legality on this. You can just clone someone else's electronics? (seriously, I don't know how that works, so that's not sarcasm or anything)
What are you referring to as a "clone"? Are you saying this board clones MiSTer, or that MiSTer clones other devices?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Really? How's it being disappointing for you?
As a "portable MiSTer" it is particularly lacking, in the core support department, but also especially the QoL/UX/UI experience. It is very much a device designed for playing GB cartridges, and everything else is given the bare minimum amount of support or thinking about usability.

In the years since the MiSTer came out (and Pocket even), portable gaming devices that play dumps of games have advanced in all areas by leaps and bounds. With all sorts of fancy user interfaces, cool features, customization, and just general nice things to have along the periphery of actually playing games. Things like RetroAchievements, Cloud Saves, more Save State support, FFW/REW, Shaders etc. etc. And in a package that is more ergonomic and better suited to the task than purely looking aesthetic. I am extremely spoiled by playing other devices, that do things the Pocket will never do, and have support the Pocket will probably never have.

When it comes to a box that sits in a cabinet/on a shelf and is permanently attached to a screen, MiSTer I still regard quite highly. I have one in an arcade cabinet and one hooked up to my Trinitron. For those use cases, hard to beat. But as a portable one of those, I find the upsides not worth it for losing everything else you would get for spending the same money on something else. I don't get enough satisfaction walking over to the shelf to grab my carts to give all that up.

But if you could make a "portable MiSTer", have it run the usual UI, same cores, same features as a full MiSTer, in a mechanically good package, I'd probably buy it. I doubt it would be my daily driver, or what I would throw in a bag for a trip, but it would be worth it for me just as a curiousity.

mableguy

Jan 5, 2022
As a "portable MiSTer" it is particularly lacking, in the core support department, but also especially the QoL/UX/UI experience. It is very much a device designed for playing GB cartridges, and everything else is given the bare minimum amount of support or thinking about usability.

In the years since the MiSTer came out (and Pocket even), portable gaming devices that play dumps of games have advanced in all areas by leaps and bounds. With all sorts of fancy user interfaces, cool features, customization, and just general nice things to have along the periphery of actually playing games. Things like RetroAchievements, Cloud Saves, more Save State support, FFW/REW, Shaders etc. etc. And in a package that is more ergonomic and better suited to the task than purely looking aesthetic. I am extremely spoiled by playing other devices, that do things the Pocket will never do, and have support the Pocket will probably never have.

When it comes to a box that sits in a cabinet/on a shelf and is permanently attached to a screen, MiSTer I still regard quite highly. I have one in an arcade cabinet and one hooked up to my Trinitron. For those use cases, hard to beat. But as a portable one of those, I find the upsides not worth it for losing everything else you would get for spending the same money on something else. I don't get enough satisfaction walking over to the shelf to grab my carts to give all that up.

But if you could make a "portable MiSTer", have it run the usual UI, same cores, same features as a full MiSTer, in a mechanically good package, I'd probably buy it. I doubt it would be my daily driver, or what I would throw in a bag for a trip, but it would be worth it for me just as a curiousity.
As a portable MiSTer it is indeed disappointing. I've enjoyed it quite a bit for what it is, though. It's a treasure for GB/GBC/GBA. Not saying I wouldn't be down for a real portable MiSTer, though. Day 1, actually.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I've been wanting to dive into the mister scene for a while now. If it sticks to the $99 pricepoint and the hardware is up to par, I'll get one.

BUT -- I will day one get the handheld whatever it may be. Taki has helped design and develop the retroid pocket 3, so it seems like he knows a bit about handhelds. I would think a fpga handheld would look sick if he is behind designing it.

mookie1515

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Been waiting for Mister Addons to get their Digital IO board off the ground before finally pulling the trigger on one, but boy at this price point maybe this is the way I go instead...

metalwalnut

May 19, 2022
What are you referring to as a "clone"? Are you saying this board clones MiSTer, or that MiSTer clones other devices?

I'm saying the board clones the DE-10 nano. Or am I misunderstanding what they're doing?

I mean, I'm guessing they're just cloning the board and not worrying about the consequences since Terasic is based in Taiwan. But you're not legally allowed to just copy someone else's hardware are you?

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
I'm saying the board clones the DE-10 nano. Or am I misunderstanding what they're doing?

I mean, I'm guessing they're just cloning the board and not worrying about the consequences since Terasic is based in Taiwan. But you're not legally allowed to just copy someone else's hardware are you?
The DE-10 is a motherboard with an Intel chip on it. Terasic doesn't own the rights to doing that any more than Asus, MSI, or Gigabyte do. They've just had a monopoly on it up to now (for the purposes of a MiSTer project) and have been price gouging everyone.

Kingy

Feb 3, 2019
This is exactly it. Terasic - the DE-10 Nano manufacturer - have exploited their surprise new market.

By cutting them out and going direct to Altera for the FPGA chip, boom, sane prices are restored.

View: https://twitter.com/takiudon_/status/1785101468498084285

So this isn't the actual Altera FPGA chip coming down in price? Just about eating in to Terasic's margin?

It seems strange how such an old chip doesnt drop in price, like normal CPUs do.

gyrspike

Jan 18, 2018
I always wanted to build arcade cabinet with a miSTer setup installed, but that $500+ pricetag for the MiSTer and all it's extras really put me off doing it. A much lower cost would def get me interested again.

Was this project known to be in development for a while?

Seems like it just kind of dropped out of nowhere to me.

I'd have to pick up some good low latency adapters (like say Raphnet) to emulate my current set up.

Are you talking about picking up low-latency adapters for the MiSTer?
If so, Raphnet is not the way to go - SNAC what you'd want for extremely low-latency. And it's glorious.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
So this isn't the actual Altera FPGA chip coming down in price? Just about eating in to Terasic's margin?

It seems strange how such an old chip doesnt drop in price, like normal CPUs do.
You've misunderstood completely. It doesn't say that.

The FPGA chip isn't expensive, if you buy enough of them. Price is always fluid based on order quantity. So yes it's less expensive than we've previously believed.

The clone board is cheaper because they've done a cost cutting redesign, they're not price gauging the buyers/market, and yes they're probably running tighter margins.

DeciderVT

Oct 27, 2017
Are you talking about picking up low-latency adapters for the MiSTer?
If so, Raphnet is not the way to go - SNAC what you'd want for extremely low-latency. And it's glorious.

Raphnet adapters are better built than most SNAC adapters and almost as fast. I very strongly doubt that most users would be able to tell the difference in a blind test. I've been using their Anode SNES adapter with MiSTer for the last few years and it's absolutely fine.

With that said, the perceptible disadvantage is that their adapters don't support rumble — a frustrating experience when I wanted to use a PS1 DualShock with the PSX core. SNAC is best choice for that. Sadly it looks like getting everything I need for SNAC from MiSTerAddons will cost a small fortune.