• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlNDOZDmw8U

Honestly it is kind of crazy that this exists, and I am pretty surprised that they were able to mod this into a game that wasn't built around it at all. Despite owning the game on Switch, I ended up buying a crappy old Wii U from ebay and a Wii U copy of the game so I could rip a copy. The amount of progress CEMU has made emulating the Wii U and the CEMU mod scenes is really incredible. Anyone have any other good Wii U game recommendations that run well on emulation?

Sorry if there is already a thread. I didn't see one.

P.S. Stealing is bad, please dump your own roms.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Does this work off the Wii U version then? Or would a rip of the Switch version also work?

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Getting flashbacks to Just Cause 2 multiplayer.

Seeing MP added to SP games is always an interesting thing.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Didn't expect to see pointcrow on here. I love his Elden Ring streams

Why he is the one releasing the mod is lost on me but still cool. It is insane what people are doing with this game

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing with this over the week. Came out right as I started playing BOTW for the first time so it was pretty good timing lol. Pretty impressed with how well it works. You can set it to have shrine progress and koroks sync up. Even quest sync is an option. You can leave the server up and quit out of the game at any time and none of the progress gets interrupted for the other player.

OP
OP
cgpartlow

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I've been playing with this over the week. Came out right as I started playing BOTW for the first time so it was pretty good timing lol. Pretty impressed with how well it works. You can set it to have shrine progress and koroks sync up. Even quest sync is an option. You can leave the server up and quit out of the game at any time and none of the progress gets interrupted for the other player.
That honestly is really wild and well thought out.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Meanwhile at some AAA studios... (caugh, RedFall. caugh)

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
Didn't expect to see pointcrow on here. I love his Elden Ring streams

Why he is the one releasing the mod is lost on me but still cool. It is insane what people are doing with this game

PointCrow was the one who commissioned the Mod developer to create it, he put out a huge bounty on having it made and that it should be out before Tears of the Kingdom

What sucks is as of like this morning Nintendo put the smackdown on all of his BOTW multiplayer/hide and seek videos, I think he got them back up but they're still demonitized

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is REALLY cool, and the kind of thing that my brother and I would've dreamed up when we were kids.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
PointCrow was the one who commissioned the Mod developer to create it, he put out a huge bounty on having it made and that it should be out before Tears of the Kingdom

What sucks is as of like this morning Nintendo put the smackdown on all of his BOTW multiplayer/hide and seek videos, I think he got them back up but they're still demonitized

Huh, i never thought about the concept of a streamer knowing they would make a lot of Money from playing a specific type of mod, and then go and pay someone to make it. Seems like a win-win-win situation, streamer gets to make bank though the videos,modder gets actually paid for their work and everyone else gets a mod that wouldn't have happened otherwise!

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
100 Links drops onto Hyrule.
You joke, but Pointcrow and some friends did a battle royale stream. Honestly, it was kinda messy... but the idea was fun.

I haven't used this mod, but it seems like in it's current state there is some big compromises. mainly not everything is synced. Enemies aren't synced so you don't fight the same bokoblin. arrows aren't usable. random things like that.

Really the mod is in a great spot to do random PVP type things. But if you want a true coop experience best wait a couple months till at least enemy sync is incorporated.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone want to play with me? I want to capture some footage at 4K120FPS and you can be in my footage if you want :3

St. Eam the 3rd

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 18, 2022
Oh that's nice!

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
Huh, i never thought about the concept of a streamer knowing they would make a lot of Money from playing a specific type of mod, and then go and pay someone to make it. Seems like a win-win-win situation, streamer gets to make bank though the videos,modder gets actually paid for their work and everyone else gets a mod that wouldn't have happened otherwise!

This is also after he had appeared in some of the Super Mario Odyssey Hide and Seek videos with other creators like SmallAnt, Amethyst, CraftyBoss (Mod Creator), Cjya, GrandPooBear, and many others. Then there was the falling out and he pivoted away, and then focused the idea of Breath of the Wild

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019

Ow that is really cool that he did that.. I should hop into his streams more often

Yeah I cannot imagine Nintendo being happy at all with this

OP
OP
cgpartlow

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Of course. Homebrew couldn't possibly be simple. And there are no easy guides to follow on yt./s
People get really weird and hostile when the emulation subject is brought up.
lol, on the Wii and Wii U it is so easy. You just type a URL into your browser or DNS settings and then hit OK on a webpage....

I have also been getting into PS2 emulation which is even easier, just put the disk in a dvd drive and hit rip ISO.

Actually, one thing that has been really cool is that I have been starting to frequent my local retro game shops in the area. There are a lot of cool stores around where I live and work that sell old games. It's been fun to support local businesses and hang out with my fellow nerds.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Damn I hope this comes to the Switch version. I don't own a Wii U and the Wii U version so I'm shit outta luck rip.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Are you saying everyone who says they rip their roms is lying....?
I think it's just badly written. By "farce" I guess they actually meant the headache that comes with ripping one's own ROM?

But I mean it isn't like the Switch version is going to be easier to rip by comparison, let alone Emulate.

Hmm…

OP
OP
cgpartlow

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Then what did you mean?

I think it's just badly written. By "farce" I guess they actually meant the headache that comes with ripping one's own ROM?

But I mean it isn't like the Switch version is going to be easier to rip by comparison, let alone Emulate.

Hmm…
Yeah I think that kind of threw me off. Farce typically means absurd or improbable so I kind of figured that implied lying. As someone who hacked their switch, it was way harder than doing it on the Wii U. It takes like 15 minutes to get your Wii U set up to start ripping disks. On the Switch you have to hack boot load it every time, install custom firmware manually, and make sure you download all your license keys and firmware info. It is a real headache.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
Then what did you mean?

Yeah I think that kind of threw me off. Farce typically means absurd or improbable so I kind of figured that implied lying. As someone who hacked their switch, it was way harder than doing it on the Wii U. It takes like 15 minutes to get your Wii U set up to start ripping disks. On the Switch you have to hack boot load it every time, install custom firmware manually, and make sure you download all your license keys and firmware info. It is a real headache.
I mostly just meant that most people aren't going to dump their own ROM. There's relatively few Wii U's out there especially in relation to Switch's and that goes double for copies of BotW.

If if somebody owns BotW on Switch is it reasonable for that person to buy a different console and buy the game again just to do that? Is it reasonable to expect them to? I'd say no.

OP
OP
cgpartlow

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I mostly just meant that most people aren't going to dump their own ROM. There's relatively few Wii U's out there especially in relation to Switch's and that goes double for copies of BotW.

If if somebody owns BotW on Switch is it reasonable for that person to buy a different console and buy the game again just to do that? Is it reasonable to expect them to? I'd say no.
Maybe not, maybe one day we will get a way create a Wii U rom by ripping assets from a switch rom. That is also why people in here are dissapointed. That doesn't mean people who own it on switch are going to illegally download the Wii U version. They just will miss out. Although I am sure some will download it illegally. However, with the Wii U eShop closed and discs no longer being printed, buying it on switch is actually the only way to give Nintendo your money for the game so that is kind of weird.

There must be a lot of people here who own a Wii U considering how many suckered me into buying W101 on release lol

That Era bubble!

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Haven't watched the video yet but that super crazy!
You love to see modders tap into a whole other potential with games like this.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like nintendo is already going after this mod. Download links have been taken off the discord and mods are pretty much shutting down all discussion about it right now

I have taken down the mods in this discord as I am currently in talks with Nintendo. All I can share right now, please no speculation and understand that I will update you all as much as I can. tysm

Pretty disappointing but not surprising that Nintendo would pull some wack shit like this

VillX

Jun 19, 2018
Not surprised and honestly don't know what they expected with releasing it so close to TotK. I know that was part of the goal, but they couldn't have painted a bigger target on them if they tried.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Weird, Pointcrow and his team have been working on this and showing it off forever now. The exposure this has gotten is way smaller than the Mario Odyssey MP mod as well.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like nintendo is already going after this mod. Download links have been taken off the discord and mods are pretty much shutting down all discussion about it right now

Pretty disappointing but not surprising that Nintendo would pull some wack shit like this

It's already out there so hopefully it'll continue to be re-uploaded. Nintendo gets scared so easily when it's community does something neat.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's already out there so hopefully it'll continue to be re-uploaded. Nintendo gets scared so easily when it's community does something neat.
It's out there but it would be a bummer if they couldn't work on it anymore. It works great but there are plenty of improvements they had planned

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I am not surprised that Nintendo took this video down in the immediate run up to TotK. They get more anal than usual when they perceive a mod is competing with an upcoming or recent product.

Still, very cool mod. I might give it a shot when enemy sync is implemented.