Oct 25, 2017
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nials-young-white-men/?utm_term=.3776c3f9e05c

The most significant revelation in a new Pew Research Center analysis of partisan identification is the extent to which Democrats and Republicans no longer resemble one another demographically. Nearly 4 in 10 Democrats are nonwhite, while 83 percent of Republicans are white. Six in 10 Republicans are whites without a college degree; only a third of Democrats are. A third of Republicans are white evangelical Christians; a third of Democrats are religiously unaffiliated.

Pew's data highlighted two consistent trends: Women are much more likely to identify as Democrats than Republicans, while men are more split. White Americans (as was probably obvious from the paragraph above) are more likely to identify as Republican, and nonwhite Americans as Democrats — no group more so than black Americans.

One reason millennials lean more Democratic is that the group is also more racially diverse than older Americans. But the Democratic advantage among millennials exists even within groups that, overall, tend to identify as Republicans: men and whites.

We've seen this evidenced elsewhere. In January, PRRI and MTV releaseda report looking at the political views of young Americans.

https://www.prri.org/research/mtv-culture-and-religion/
Many of the findings center on race:

• More than half of white men (and white women) in this age group believe that discrimination against whites is as significant as discrimination against other groups.
  • Fewer than half of young white men say black people face a lot of discrimination.
  • A quarter of young white men say white men face a lot of discrimination.
  • Opinions of Barack Obama were much lower among young white men. More than half of white men in this group expressed a favorable opinion of President Trump.
  • Half of young white men favor building the U.S.-Mexico border wall.

Deleted member 9145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
More than half of white men (and white women) in this age group believe that discrimination against whites is as significant as discrimination against other groups.

Minorities

these people never gonna change

smash

smash til your hearts content

smash and reproduce brehs

Oct 25, 2017
Get back to us when you wrap your head around it.
I mean yeah the topic of the radicalization of young folk is a rather tough and broad one. 18yo kids aren't coming out of high school feeling as if their privilege is under attack, they get these ideas and feelings from the political system, internet groups, and various other outlets which are now breeding this type of hate and fear.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unsurprising. Young white men feel disenfranchised, go on the internet to popular gaming or social media communities that are overwhelmingly white and male, and slowly get radicalized while the rest of their peer generation goes left. Seeing all their (former) friends, classmates, and peers heading left only reinforces their belief that they are a persecuted minority and sends them further right. It's an huge feedback loop.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They start losing white women, that is when it gets interesting

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well guess what? Court those fuckers all you want, GOP. As long as everyone else gets out the vote, they aren't enough.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bask in the glory of my white indifference, so strong I cannot be moved at all.

If I don't have a problem then neither do you and you should feel silly for caring about stuff that effects your very existence.

MAGA

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Good to know there's a future generation of racists being groomed to keep America in the depths of immoral, repugnant depravity for the next several decades. Hope they don't bring the rest of the world down with them into their pit of loathing and hatred of... not just blacks, not just browns, not just women, not just gays, not just themselves... but ALL of mankind.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
While there's truth to this, I think it's self-defeating to just say that and shrug. A lot of these kids are growing up without being "accustomed" to privilege, instead they're being outright told that minorities are getting all the benefits and they're not. Growing up it feels hard to understand why you're not allowed to be "proud" of who you are when everyone else gets to be... it feels like everybody else gets to be in a cool club and not you -- because privilege is largely invisible. I'm not saying I know what the solution is, but if this is being perpetuated then I feel like we need to figure out how to address that. A lot of young males are disaffected and feeling isolated and angry and they need to be able to process it and find a community that isn't there just to take that anger and turn it into hate.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unsurprising. Young white men feel disenfranchised, go on the internet to popular gaming or social media communities that are overwhelmingly white and male, and slowly get radicalized while the rest of their peer generation goes left. Seeing all their (former) friends, classmates, and peers heading left only reinforces their belief that they are a persecuted minority and sends them further right. It's an huge feedback loop.

I could see this as pretty spot on. Although, i am curious as to the geographical makeup here. I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of those young whites are in heavy red states, that might also have mostly white populations. Like, if they are saying that doesnt matter much, and your young white dude in NY has 50% shot at being a repub trumpkin, well that would be real real bad.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Not surprising to me. Seen tons of old friends of mine who leaned more independent with non favorable sentiment towards Republicans change their political views to be way more pro Republican over the last few years.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see how this is a bright spot. A slim majority split in youth is terrible for the GOP for their core demographic. It would be like saying a bright spot for Dems amongst millennial is that young black voters only have a slim approval of Obama and a slim disapproval of Trump. That would actually be a complete disaster. The brightspor for Dems is that young minorities are even MORE liberal than the already very liberal older minority groups

It completely negates any incentive for the gop to try and turn out youth vote when their best demographic amongst young voters is possibly a small net gain at best. They are bleeding votes with whites based on age and the fact that young white men split less D that than other groups of their generation isn't anything to really cheer about. It's still in their best interest to keep election turn out old and depress youth anyway they can.

Oct 25, 2017
So it shows that about 50% of Male White Millenials currently favor Republicans while 43% favor Democrats. Only a 7 point difference.

I'd be curious to know what the numbers are for:

- White Male Gen X
- White Male Boomers
- White Male Silent Gen

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
There are going to be race riots in America within the next year or two, aren't there? Seems unavoidable at this point. Someone is going to get lynched or burned at the stake in retaliation for injuring White Pride, and it's all going to go downhill from there as people pick sides.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean yeah the topic of the radicalization of young folk is a rather tough and broad one. 18yo kids aren't coming out of high school feeling as if their privilege is under attack, they get these ideas and feelings from the political system, internet groups, and various other outlets which are now breeding this type of hate and fear.

Not exactly, especially for that group coming out of high school. They don't have enough experience or self awareness that they more than likely went to better schools than minorities. That they were offered better advancement and more opportunities to get a leg up with advanced classes. Then as soon as they start to enter to college they start to hear horror stories of diversity quotas, scholarships earmarked for minorities, having to suddenly think about the makeup of your friends. A lot of reality is hitting them at once that they were insulated from.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
So it shows that about 50% of Male White Millenials currently favor Republicans while 43% favor Democrats. Only a 7 point difference.

I'd be curious to know what the numbers are for:

- White Male Gen X
- White Male Boomers
- White Male Silent Gen
Way more favorable for the GOP in every circumstance. The article in the OP is actually evidence of trends against the Republican party. Older white men are overwhelmingly republican and pro-trump far beyond what white millennials are.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While there's truth to this, I think it's self-defeating to just say that and shrug. A lot of these kids are growing up without being "accustomed" to privilege, instead they're being outright told that minorities are getting all the benefits and they're not. Growing up it feels hard to understand why you're not allowed to be "proud" of who you are when everyone else gets to be... it feels like everybody else gets to be in a cool club and not you -- because privilege is largely invisible. I'm not saying I know what the solution is, but if this is being perpetuated then I feel like we need to figure out how to address that. A lot of young males are disaffected and feeling isolated and angry and they need to be able to process it and find a community that isn't there just to take that anger and turn it into hate.

It's a complex problem for several reasons:

1. Teenagers have always felt persecuted or downtrodden for any number of (real or imagined) reasons. It's just part of puberty and learning your place in the world. The problem is that, while you used to simply grow out of this when you matured and left home, the modern internet easily allows you to fall into a state of arrested development where you never have to grow up. You can join some white supremacist echo chamber at age 15 and stay there for the next decade without any outside force counteracting the propaganda

2. Concepts like privilege theory are incredibly difficult to explain in an effective manner, even for seasoned adult professionals. Teens tend to explore political avenues by arguing and debating with their peers, who are not in any way equipped to handle these conversations, nor should they obligated to explain to a bigot why their opinions are wrong. Unfortunately, when these white male teens fail to get answers from their classmates, they can just go online, where an entire cottage industry of 30-40something white men are happy to explain "the truth" to them

3. Social media companies allow teenagers to freely interact with adults who, as noted above, are actively courting and spreading propaganda to impressionable youth without consequence

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City

I mean you've literally described the history of America from 1776 to current day

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
Young white men strikes again... Being one myself and being around gamer culture i believe it. I just wonder how so many are so stupid? I mean i sort of know, but just... Why?

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
Party of white male supremacy in white male popularity shocker. (I joke but, in a sane world, people would be shocked and appalled by this, and the party would ask itself "what the fuck is wrong with us that women and people of colour like us so much less?".)

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
It's a complex problem for several reasons:

1. Teenagers have always felt persecuted or downtrodden for any number of (real or imagined) reasons. It's just part of puberty and learning your place in the world. The problem is that, while you used to simply grow out of this when you matured and left home, the modern internet easily allows you to fall into a state of arrested development where you never have to grow up. You can join some white supremacist echo chamber at age 15 and stay there for the next decade without any outside force counteracting the propaganda

2. Concepts like privilege theory are incredibly difficult to explain in an effective manner, even for seasoned adult professionals. Teens tend to explore political avenues by arguing and debating with their peers, who are not in any way equipped to handle these conversations, nor should they obligated to explain to a bigot why their opinions are wrong. Unfortunately, when these white male teens fail to get answers from their classmates, they can just go online, where an entire cottage industry of 30-40something white men are happy to explain "the truth" to them

3. Social media companies allow teenagers to freely interact with adults who, as noted above, are actively courting and spreading propaganda to impressionable youth without consequence
The youngest Millennials are 22, puberty is not exactly the issue of the day.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
There are going to be race riots in America within the next year or two, aren't there? Seems unavoidable at this point. Someone is going to get lynched or burned at the stake in retaliation for injuring White Pride, and it's all going to go downhill from there as people pick sides.
If there haven't been serious riots for the last 400 years, they not going to popoff now that predator drones are a thing.

Brown people haven't stopped getting lynch just because you don't hear about it

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a 31 white male who is technically a millennial.

Listen to this man.

Make us whites the minority. Have babies. Lots of them.

tenor.gif

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The youngest Millennials are 22, puberty is not exactly the issue of the day.

The article goes on to note several statistics (quoted in the OP) derived from post-millennial white men (people in their teens and early 20s), who are also heavily trending conservative as a result of the factors I mentioned.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So millennial whites are less Republican than their forbearers and are a smaller portion of the population. Misleading headline tbh.

It's not because you're missing the contraxt. One thing that's been noted is the Millennial generation is leaning left and is more racially diverse than any generation previously, which is bad news for the GOP that just continues to go harder to the right. They bring spot for them in that is that young white males from that generation are still sticking with them.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The article goes on to note several statistics (quoted in the OP) derived from post-millennial white men (people in their teens and early 20s), who are also heavily trending conservative as a result of the factors I mentioned.
Honestly using data on teens seems pretty pointless since most teens haven't really formed their own political opinions yet, and I feel like many teens change their views once they leave home