• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 20, 2018
Not even sure if it's a leak or not, but it starts a little after three minutes into the first video here:

https://www.g-cores.com/videos/102336

Super spooky.

A few notes for anyone who doesn't want to watch, perhaps mildly spoilerish:

It has one health diamond.

Its sword attacks are very slow and very heavily telegraphed, but they almost kill the player in one hit.

In contrast, its grab attack is barely telegraphed at all.

It teleports very quickly. I'm not sure it even disappears entirely before appearing in another spot.

There's a ledge in the room it can't drop down, but it CAN teleport to get to the player.

Music and arena are very atmospheric. The boss makes the creepiest sounds.

And adding this in case anyone has trouble with the link:

Anyone else having trouble with the link, try this: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av32236168/?p=2

I'm glad to see such creepy stuff in this

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
oh my... guess we don't have to worry about Sekiro lacking creepy shit.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Damn that's real creepy looking , the verticality on display in the levels is really impressive though

LastCupOfBullets

Alt account
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Wow. Never heard of this before. Looks like a more bad ass version of Way of the Samurai that I played on PS2 when I was was a teenager back in the day.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what game this is, but I like how you can stab a guy in the back, and still can get back up to fight like nothing's happened.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Sekiro looks friggin amazing. The very first trailer didn't convince me, but now I'm thinking this'll be From Software's best game by far.
Can't wait to play it.

I can forgive the lack of online functionality because this looks top-tier, however it does seem a little disappointing that we will be unable to use this new more complex combat against other players. Well, that would require decent online anyway, which none of the Souls games really had.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
The best thing about this is we now have the new equivalent of "Prey Slaughtered"/"Victory Achieved"/etc.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why we're people worried there was going to be no horror elements that's fucking horrifying!

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
the game needs more polish in the locomotion of the main character, its way off to the point its almost seems like a bug the way you can slide with almost no walking/running animation.

OP
OP
theotherMittens
Jul 20, 2018
This was not recorded at TGS, it was a different event.

Oh thanks, I had sort of assumed it was TGS.

Somehow I only just now thought to actually translate and read the article. Technology sometimes, ain't it a thing. I always forget what it can do. So now I see they mentioned an embargo for this video thar just ended.

DukeBlue

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It's sooo good to see that From continues to deliver talenT!

Will be rhe 2019 GOTY without a doubt

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I watched the first 10-15 seconds of that encounter.. holy fuck that looks amazing.

I think my Sekiro media black out (much like any Souls entry) begins now.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So, the second death has the person dying to a new status effect, terror. And Status effects confirmed! Game is Souls like.

redmoss

Aug 19, 2018
In a way, we're seeing a role reversal, with FROM focusing on more action-based title, and Team Ninja going the route of an RPG. The endgame of Nioh was very RPG in fact, almost behaving like Diablo at times.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
The enemy design of this particular creature is fairly simple but brilliantly horrifying.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
The ambient music and the sound effect every time the enemy attacks makes it more creepy

OP
OP
theotherMittens
Jul 20, 2018
The enemy design of this particular creature is fairly simple but brilliantly horrifying.

It's really funny, because I couldnt quite imagine it being that scary just from descriptions I'd read. So much of it is in the animations and real specific stuff about the model and textures. It's so blubbery and slippery looking. Words don't do this one justice.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
It's really funny, because I couldnt quite imagine it being that scary just from descriptions I'd read. So much of it is in the animations and real specific stuff about the model and textures. It's so blubbery and slippery looking. Words don't do this one justice.

The animation where it puts its shoulders down and charges, with that stringy hair or whatever it is, is really unsettling in particular. Good stuff, hope there's a lot more where that came from.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is probably my favorite thing shown thus far. Unlike the Yokai in Nioh, which were the "cool" side of Japanese mythology, Sekiro seems to be hiding the truly macabre elements of folklore under its surface. The fact that the monster doesn't fully disappear from its original position after teleporting is such a clever and creepy trick, FromSoft is still operating at their peak.

What I'm still NOT sold on is the lack of RPG progression being a good idea. Unless the reward for killing this thing is really impressive, what incentive exists for fighting it? In Souls, I could count on gaining a few levels and earning rare upgrade materials from killing minibosses. Here, I'm not sure what we're gaining by fighting when running past foes seems just as effective as ever and preserves your resources.

OP
OP
theotherMittens
Jul 20, 2018
This is probably my favorite thing shown thus far. Unlike the Yokai in Nioh, which were the "cool" side of Japanese mythology, Sekiro seems to be hiding the truly macabre elements of folklore under its surface. The fact that the monster doesn't fully disappear from its original position after teleporting is such a clever and creepy trick, FromSoft is still operating at their peak.

What I'm still NOT sold on is the lack of RPG progression being a good idea. Unless the reward for killing this thing is really impressive, what incentive exists for fighting it? In Souls, I could count on gaining a few levels and earning rare upgrade materials from killing minibosses. Here, I'm not sure what we're gaining by fighting when running past foes seems just as effective as ever and preserves your resources.

It's probably that you get something cool for beating it. The game does have progression through upgrading weapons and prosthetic weapons, so there's a few rewards I could see coming from it.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's probably that you get something cool for beating it. The game does have progression through upgrading weapons and prosthetic weapons, so there's a few rewards I could see coming from it.
If the weapons have the depth of character upgrade in previous games, then that'd be fine, but simply obtaining a new move or rare consumable item would be disappointing.

The reward of optional challenges in Souls was always the promise that conquering them would make the required content a bit easier. "Do I want to fight Father Gascoigne immediately, or level up a few times by killing Cleric Beast first and explore the level to find new armor?"

In Sekiro, my fear is that it'll be: "Whether I kill the minibosses and explore the level or not, Corrupted Monk is always going to be the same difficulty." I hope From will address this soon, because it's my biggest concern about the game moving forward.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
The reaching and flailing is pretty disconcerting.

Also, that player is pretty bad.
There is a wall jump in the game but idk if you need to unlock it first. It could be that you need to press jump twice to kick off the wall and clear the height but the player might be pressing jump once and hoping to auto grab the ledge. I agree, that part was troubling/annoying to watch but I hope it's just player error and not the game.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I like how they are not hiding Sekiro has a creepy twist in it like Bloodborne. They could have acted like it was a realistic Samurai game like Ghost of Tsushima until it actually released, then BAM, creepy demon boss.

OP
OP
theotherMittens
Jul 20, 2018
There is a wall jump in the game but idk if you need to unlock it first. It could be that you need to press jump twice to kick off the wall and clear the height but the player might be pressing jump once and hoping to auto grab the ledge. I agree, that part was troubling/annoying to watch but I hope it's just player error and not the game.

Other demo players have said you can jump up walls right at the start. Can't recall if he does it elsewhere in this video but you can see it plenty of times in others, clearing walls with a similar height.