EMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breaking down the fact the poor are being taken advantage of as a pro or a con is some cold shit

The ideal solution would be a billionaire to step up and become a philanthropist, pumping his wealth into these at risk communities.

One issue though is that there needs to be real, or lasting, capital , such as restaurants and other shops.

Chaparral

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The ideal solution would be a billionaire to step up and become a philanthropist, pumping his wealth into these at risk communities.

One issue though is that there needs to be real, or lasting, capital , such as restaurants and other shops.

I wish I lived in your fantasy land world.

Until then, we live with the fact that most (white) billionaires don't give a shit about the hood or anywhere else where minorities congregate. Out of sight, out of mind to them.

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
One of the big problems with gentrification is it pits the middle class against the lower class. The middle class can no longer afford to buy in large areas of cities. Therefore, if you don't want to move well outside the city, the middle class is pushed into "up and coming" areas aka gentrification. The lower class is pushed further and further outside the city.

Oct 28, 2017
Rent control prices out more people to temporarily protect a few. Rent controls have not done anything to stop gentrification anywhere in New York, so why people think that's a legitimate solution is beyond me.

Gentrification doesn't just happen to poor neighborhoods, it doesn't just affect black people, and it's ascribing a scary boogeyman name to the natural process of neighborhoods changing over time.

The reality is with a growing population trying to dig your heels in and demand your neighborhood not change isn't going to work well, even if you've got money and influence, and it's not going to work at all if you don't (and resisting gentrification in one area just means you're passing the buck on to another neighborhood that'd be even less equipped to deal with it, because the market ain't gonna' stop free marketing.) Demand is always going to outpace supply of a neighborhood in its current state in any city thanks to population trends and the continued unabated urbanization of the country.

If people aren't willing to accept this reality, than arguing about the good or bad of gentrification is useless. Because if you think gentrification is bad, your only option is to burn down your own neighborhood and make it a shithole for a few decades.

I dont think Harlem would agree

Oct 25, 2017
No, Gentrification widens income inequality within whatever place it occurs

This sounds backwards. Gentrification itself is caused by income inequality. When land around a desirable place comes under competition, then those with more money will push others out because they can afford the bidding war. The reason you get $7 lattes is because the rent is so high you can't afford to run a blue-collar establishment.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sounds backwards. Gentrification itself is caused by income inequality. When land around a desirable place comes under competition, then those with more money will push others out because they can afford the bidding war. The reason you get $7 lattes is because the rent is so high you can't afford to run a blue-collar establishment.

how is what you posted not an example of income equality expanding? You literally said that blue-collar establishments can't afford to live there anymore. Yes, income inequality is the genesis of gentrification, but it's true that gentrification expands the inequality as well.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Once the property values rise after these billionaire philanthropists pump wealth into the community, rents rise, taxes rise, demand rises, causinag feedback loop of spiraling costs, and people with more means crowd out those with less who were there originally, and people with even greater means arrive to push out the recent arrivals.

This is the market in action.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't really get the arguments against gentrification. It sounds like people would prefer segregation and economic depression?

It's a complicated phenomenon that seems pretty clearly rooted in systemic racism. You can't blame the people who buy up the property, but a coffee shop outright boasting "You can thank us for getting rid of the blacks" is overtly shitty.

Oct 28, 2017
i agree that the cutesy term is already getting annoying, but there's nothing wrong with understanding the different forms of racism. "racism is racism" is so pointlessly simple minded. identifying different forms of racism doesn't mean you're minimizing it.
But racism is just racism. We're just identifying how its expressed among different communities

Oct 28, 2017
Gentrification is essentially diet colonialism.

It's a great way for young millenials to experience a true American past time older than the US itself lol.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gentrification is essentially diet colonialism.

It's a great way for young millenials to experience a true American past time older than the US itself lol.

I considered posting something like this a few times, actually.

The trail of tears and native americans in Oklahoma, for example, is a great example of classic american gentrification.

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Those buying property in low income or working class neighborhoods aren't individuals. They're corporations or businesses. You can't compare the resources of the average working person to that of a business and say that gentrification is a result of income inequality.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a complicated phenomenon that seems pretty clearly rooted in systemic racism. You can't blame the people who buy up the property, but a coffee shop outright boasting "You can thank us for getting rid of the blacks" is overtly shitty.

There's nothing inherently racist about gentrification. I can't afford a house in the neighborhood I grew up in, never mind my hometown writ large. The artists who herald the classic view of gentrification are moving to those neighborhoods because they can't afford the rent elsewhere. Given that there are large swaths of the country that remain poor and segregated and that gentrification is actually a relatively rare phenomenon, it's clearly not the driving force either (whereas you have a much better argument that income inequality in general has long-standing roots in racist policy.)
I dont think Harlem would agree
Harlem would agree about what? It's gentrifying like the rest of New York. If rent controls actually worked to stop gentrification, why is it happening everywhere in NY despite NYC having one of the strictest rent controls/stabilizations and largest public housing schemes?

Flo_Evans

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder if they had a liability clause with the ad firm. We are seeing more and more people want to be able to claim damages from "bad" campaigns.

Oct 28, 2017
There's nothing inherently racist about gentrification. I can't afford a house in the neighborhood I grew up in, never mind my hometown writ large. The artists who herald the classic view of gentrification are moving to those neighborhoods because they can't afford the rent elsewhere. Given that there are large swaths of the country that remain poor and segregated and that gentrification is actually a relatively rare phenomenon, it's clearly not the driving force either (whereas you have a much better argument that income inequality in general has long-standing roots in racist policy.)

Harlem would agree about what? It's gentrifying like the rest of New York. If rent controls actually worked to stop gentrification, why is it happening everywhere in NY despite NYC having one of the strictest rent controls/stabilizations and largest public housing schemes?

NYC has put in fairly new regulations regarding all of this. NYC shuttling off their newly made homeless people to other states non-withstanding.

The cycle of gentrification has completely messed up Los Angeles for decades now. You have an influx of homeless people and the rest that are chronically homeless moving from one section to another. Venice is now the great homeless congregation center when just 10 years ago it was NELA that was full of our most disadvantaged. Its pretty bad in DTLA still too.

Gentrification happens mostly in these kinds of neighborhoods though.

After slavery America made segregation the law of the land. Blacks were barred from fair housing, infrastructure, education, and jobs. It was government policy, country wide, for banks and real estate developers to genuinely develop white parts of town with great affordable housing, low interest mortgages, business loans etc... and purposefully underdeveloped black areas (Google redlining). This would predictably cause underemployment, lower home ownership, lack of businesses, increase in crime, lower quality education etc... (In the US school funding is barbarically linked to property values so if a place was strategically made impoverished, the schools would be terrible as well).

President Nixon commenced his War on Drugs in order to undermine progress made by the Civil Rights Movement. President Reagan flooded the inner city with cocaine during the Crack Epidemic (google Iran/Contra Affair and Gary Webb). These programs made some inner cities hellholes and the government response was to handle drugs as a criminal issue rather than a health issue. Death, overpolicing, discriminatory laws, and mass incarceration were their "solution".

Crime is down compared to decades ago and rather than substantively develop these neighborhoods like they did white ones, gentrification is allowed to happen. We can bail out the auto industry and criminal banks but conveniently ensure that certain schools are underfunded so that the cycle of poverty can continue in some places.

Oct 25, 2017
how is what you posted not an example of income equality expanding? You literally said that blue-collar establishments can't afford to live there anymore. Yes, income inequality is the genesis of gentrification, but it's true that gentrification expands the inequality as well.

It's more related to the cost-of-living/buying inequality than income inequality. One aspect of gentrification is that people make more money, but not quite enough to afford the area and so they hop to the next less gentrified area and push up prices with their increased buying power versus those who were established there. So the people might still work there earning higher base pay but they are left with longer commutes or crappier housing.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing inherently racist about gentrification.

I keep seeing people saying this, and it blows my mind that they can make such a claim. Yes, gentrification is primarily a class issue. However, it's absolutely true that the lower classes of people, the primary groups living in these low income areas, are minorities. This makes gentrification intrinsically a racial issue. That there are also a few really poor white people being affected does not make it not intrinsically a racial issue.

Further, people pointing out the racial undertones are also voicing support for these low class white people you guys are so keen to point out.

Let's examine a real world example of gentrification happening in Austin, Texas right now. The dividing line of Austin historically has been I-35. This is because, in 1919, a city declaration was put out making it illegal for hispanics, blacks, and asians to buy property in west austin. As a result, for generations, east austin has been the lower class neighborhood (and predominantly minority). Within the last 10 years, however, these areas are being pushed out by overnight condos with rent so high that people cannot afford to live there. As a result, areas outside of austin, like bastrop, roundrock, and kyle, are experiencing influxes of lower income minorities.

This is all verifiable and absolutely true. The issue of gentrification is intrinsically linked to race.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's more related to the cost-of-living/buying inequality than income inequality. One aspect of gentrification is that people make more money, but not quite enough to afford the area and so they hop to the next less gentrified area and push up prices with their increased buying power versus those who were established there. So the people might still work there earning higher base pay but they are left with longer commutes or crappier housing.

This sounds like an extremely pedantic semantics argument. Cost-of-living/buying inequality is the same thing as income inequality as far as I'm concerned.

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like an extremely pedantic semantics argument. Cost-of-living/buying inequality is the same thing as income inequality as far as I'm concerned.

It's similar though I feel it changes the mobility aspects because you can hop to somewhere with lower buying power. People in Denver are being pushed out by people from California, I imagine many of those forced out will go on to claim some other urban center lower down the ladder. And some goods don't change price whether the minimum wage is $8 or $15.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston

Rent control doesn't work. You just move from one privilege group to another, while leaving a huge amount of wealth generation/economic activity on the table. Then there's the slum issue it causes.

The only way out is more development to lessen supply shortages and wage growth. Any plan that doesn't target that is going to just make things worse.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Man, talk about a tone deaf advertisement. And I'm not surprised that Denver's Harlem is gentrifying, since the same thing happened to Shaw, and is happening to Harlem itself and, across the ocean, to both Brixton in London and Sophiatown in Joburg.

That said, to those who don't understand the concept, gentrification, while going hand-in-hand with racial issues, is not itself inherently racial nature. Plenty of white working-class neighbourhoods have been gentrified (in fact, they're usually the harbinger of what's to come to other dilapidated neighbourhoods), such as Locust Point, Corktown, Southie, Lower Manhattan, South Philly, Pioneer Square, etc. That said, IIRC, displacement isn't usually as bad in ethnic white neighbourhoods as in minority neighbourhoods that gentrify, which is why it's often brought up less (though, as seen with the "Go Back to California" signs in Portland, plenty of whites still greatly dislike gentrification when it happens in their neighbourhoods due to the same fears of rising prices causing them to have to leave).

They sell burritos? Dope.

Cortado is a type of Spanish coffee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortado

EMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Once the property values rise after these billionaire philanthropists pump wealth into the community, rents rise, taxes rise, demand rises, causinag feedback loop of spiraling costs, and people with more means crowd out those with less who were there originally, and people with even greater means arrive to push out the recent arrivals.

This is the market in action.

Indeed, it's the nature of things.

The government can do a few things like insert some Section 8 housing but that's not very desirable.

tino

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No that's not the fucking ideal solution! The state should step up and do its job! Relying on a rich man come along one day and save you is exactly what's wrong with free market capitalism.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
not all gentrifcation is linked to race,:

here in Montreal, it's white lower income neighborhoods that are getting gentrified by upper-middle class.

EMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they need to play a part in displacing poor folk from their homes in order to feel happier and more satisfied... well all I can say is fuck their happiness.

This is the wrong way to go about it. People don't move into a new community with the idea to displace others.

If that's what happens, then it just wasn't meant to be for those people.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
This is the wrong way to go about it. People don't move into a new community with the idea to displace others.

If that's what happens, then it just wasn't meant to be for those people.

Why don't we go full ancap while we're at it! Fits with your avatar colors

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Gentrification is a very tricky concept. It marries a lot of issues--race relations, capitalism, real estate speculators, and so on.

It's very complex. City centers have become too expensive for the white middle class, but they want to be close the cultural amenities. They then move in the more affordable neighborhoods, raising the rents, as most of these are rentals not homeowners, which affects current residence heavily when their lease is up.

However, that influx of new residents tend to have more disposable income hence the proliferation of these coffee and restaurants, which tend to target the new white middle patronage. This is demographic marketing 101.

But those business realities hurt the current communities. Not only that, the new influx of middle class cash attracts real estate investors, that economic activity is taxed and improvements are made. Long neglected areas get better. Not because there was some conspiracy but because they way the economic structures favor more cash. This is why US education is so flawed. The poor get punished because the system is set up to be funded locally.

I really don't know how to solve it. Cities are just the new hotness. People want to live here and supply and demand pressures are hurting the long term residents.

All I know it's gonna get worse than better because US Federal Government still favors old school suburban development through tax breaks, subsidized roads, and so on. But the future is cities.
Economically mixed neighborhood urban planning, by design. Enforced that the city or county level.

Waikipedia

Oct 26, 2017
I keep seeing people saying this, and it blows my mind that they can make such a claim. Yes, gentrification is primarily a class issue. However, it's absolutely true that the lower classes of people, the primary groups living in these low income areas, are minorities.

You are bringing a US socio economic issue into a concept that normally doesn't involve minorities oppression.

Gentrification happens in other countries where there's no racial element. Hence, it is not inherent within gentrification. I think that's whats the other poster is getting at.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm sorta surprised that there is a community of poor people still living there. I thought the entire city was already fully gentrified.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are bringing a US socio economic issue into a concept that normally doesn't involve minorities oppression.

Gentrification happens in other countries where there's no racial element. Hence, it is not inherent within gentrification. I think that's whats the other poster is getting at.

Obviously, this is coming from a US perspective, considering the city this took place in. Trying to take an academic definition of gentrification ignores the real and obvious context that it exists in. This is very much a racial issue, considering it involves gentrification in the US. To claim otherwise is to sound ignorant of the topic at hand.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I drove through this neighborhood one time, pointed out to my friends this was gentrification before someone shut me down saying I didn't know what gentrification means.

MangaFan462

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meh, I've lived in a community that didn't even get gentrified, the shops and stores closed down without replacements. Gentrification would have at least meant a new beginning. I believe in a failing community, individuals or huge entities deserve the chance to try their hand for success.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meh, I've lived in a community that didn't even get gentrified, the shops and stores closed down without replacements. Gentrification would have at least meant a new beginning. I believe in a failing community, individuals or huge entities deserve the chance to try their hand for success.

These aren't failing areas. They just weren't rich. The Heights in Houston, for example -- people are being pushed out who have lived there for 60 years successfully.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
Denver is my hometown and it's been really sad to see the culture I grew up with forced out by high priced loft apartments. Watch the vice weediquette doc called "Dank New World" to really see what has happened to the area.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Rent control doesn't work. You just move from one privilege group to another, while leaving a huge amount of wealth generation/economic activity on the table. Then there's the slum issue it causes.

The only way out is more development to lessen supply shortages and wage growth. Any plan that doesn't target that is going to just make things worse.

We could also stop applying the casino capitalism model to primary housing and enforce some strong, deflationary regulations to give lower class people (and increasingly middle class with the huge unaffordability bubble building since the recession) a chance at having a stable place to live. It would decrease a lot of rich people's on-paper assets though, so we'll never do it, even though it would potentially sharply decrease inequality.