• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"A Dark Room" is a text-based game, originally released for web browsers and later for iOS and android. it got really big on iOS, i remember seeing it in the top selling charts for many many months. i haven't played it (yet i somehow have it, can't remember if i bought it or if it was a free game of the week), it's supposed to be pretty good. there's also a prequel, "The Ensign", that will probably come later.

it seems to be a switch console-exclusive, and has some new features exclusive to this version. the game is coming april 12, for $6.99.

https://gematsu.com/2019/04/a-dark-room-for-switch-launches-april-12
A Dark Room is an innovative text-based adventure that harkens back to the magic of Zork, adding a modern spin on a classic genre and time in gaming. Published by Circle Entertainment Entertainment and developed by Amir Rajan, it is getting a revamped and console-exclusive release on Nintendo Switch eShop.

A Dark Room challenges the player's perceptions, actions and imagination. Visually clean, it presents text and cues with limited visual flourishes, but the experience that takes shape is full of depth and environmental storytelling. Newly designed audio is also important, portraying a dark world that the player can only imagine.

It is a game that draws players in, allowing them to perceive the intriguing world in their own way. What starts as a dark room with limited interactive options evolves into a complex story and resource management challenge.

Adapted especially for the Nintendo Switch, you can play with physical controls or the touch screen; exclusive to this version of the game is an enhanced user interface, new audio, additional commentaries and local co-op play.

here's a review for the iOS version:

some screenshots of the switch version:
screen1.originalw4jxz.jpg

screen4.original9wj7s.jpg

screen2.original70jsm.jpg

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Nice throwback.

I'll watch the review later, but does it do something different from - for example - Zork?

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Nice throwback.

I'll watch the review later, but does it do something different from - for example - Zork?
From what little I've played it, this game was actually totally different from Zork, or other text adventure games. You're supposed to read the text, and do the resource management or make decisions by pressing action buttons. Unless the game changes drastically later on, there's no typing of any text instructions.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's not just a text adventure, there's also a very important survival and item management aspect, it's a pretty hard game, and it's very easy to die. from what i understand, it's more like a very hard RPG but it has be stripped to text form.

creamcake

Oct 25, 2017
it's much more than an idle game, and it's not really a text adventure. eventually it evolves into a full on survival/adventure game with ascii graphics. it has an ending, too. I recommend everyone check it out.