• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
So recently, the cast of Digimon Tamers did a live-reading in Japan. A fansub group translated for fans to see. I won't link the direct tweet as I'm unsure what the policy on that is, but I saw this image.

E73XPHsXIAMSmZa

The fact that the fansub group has to put a disclaimer in the OP shows that something is very wrong.

People started watching, and well... it's rather blatant.

And to show these aren't troll subs, here's an audio snippet where you can clearly hear them say "political correctness" and "cancel culture" in English.

How did this happen? Did Chiaki J. Konaka write all this? Trying to spread all this crap to kids? I mean yeah, the people that watched Tamers are adults now, but still... what the fuck.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
This is from the follow up to the radio drama right? If so then yeah Konaka wrote it all.

Script confirming Konaka wrote it.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Did Chiaki J. Konaka write all this?

Picture of the script:
digimon-partners.net

【#デジ通信】『テイマーズ2018』シナリオ公開中!/「デジフェス2021」特別企画|#デジモンパートナーズ|デジモン公式ファンコミュニティ

デジモンの祭典「デジフェス2021」の開催日が刻一刻と迫ってきました!コロナ禍のこのご時世、いろんな制限や制約もありますが、そんななかでも、デジモンファンの皆さんにはイベントに楽しんで参加してもらいた

vIx1wg6l.jpg

OP
OP
DanarchyReigns
Oct 25, 2017
This is from the follow up to the radio drama right? If so then yeah Konaka wrote it all.

Fuck...
Ironic that this might be what disbars him from future work. Instead of the usual route of "say something offensive, get called out, try to claim it's a joke, get called out more, cry cancel culture". Makes me wonder if he has a skeleton or two in his closet...

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Picture of the script:
digimon-partners.net

デジモンの祭典「デジフェス2021」の開催日が刻一刻と迫ってきました!コロナ禍のこのご時世、いろんな制限や制約もありますが、そんななかでも、デジモンファンの皆さんにはイベントに楽しんで参加してもらいた

vIx1wg6l.jpg
nooooooooooooooooo

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just the most incredible loser energy with this 'boohoo cancel culture' bs.

"We're being silenced!"

You're on a stage dumbfuck

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell. This is disappointing. Tamers is my favorite Digimon series.

Oct 25, 2017
Uh.

Is this Bandai approved? How could they allow this to so blatantly dive into right wing politics? Unless I'm confused.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
This is Konaka's track record:

The Big O
Serial Experiments Lain
Digimon Tamers
Several RahXephon episodes
Ultraman Tiga
Ultraman Gaia
Ultra Q: Dark Fantasy
Ultraman Max

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Picture of the script:
digimon-partners.net

vIx1wg6l.jpg
Yep, 小中 千昭.

Fucking hell, two of my top three favorite anime (Serial Experiments Lain, The Big O) are written by someone who would show up on Info Wars.

Fuck.

I really loved his writing, too.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Who is Konaka and why do they seem to be trash?

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Picture of the script:
digimon-partners.net

vIx1wg6l.jpg
Fuck that guy :/

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I thought live reading means reading an already existing scripts? What the hell is this?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
If you go to Konaka's website on Tamers it talks about how they make Ruki the coolest one to overcome resistance against buying girl toys and how they made it a point to include the child of an immigrants to reflect growing diversity. How do you go from there to here.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
If you go to Konaka's website on Tamers it talks about how they make Ruki the coolest one to overcome resistance against buying girl toys and how they made it a point to include the child of an immigrants to reflect growing diversity. How do you go from there to here.
Some people just lose it. I am still going to enjoy his early works, but future works are fully off my radar from him

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
That's it. I'm done with Digimon.
Last couple of entries have been shit and now this.

image-asset.gif

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
(Wow DATS is still around?)

Geeze those screenshots, it really does seem like they are troll subs but no.... It just sounds so, so dumb :/ He probably thought this sounded so good in his head, too :/ *sighhhhh*

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Serial Experiments Lain digs into the creation of the Internet, which is of course a government thing, and Digimon Tamers also casts the government in a suspicious light. I guess digging into that sort of territory eventually turned into conservative radicalization through conspiracy theories?

When his earlier works went with a "discover the hidden truth" vibe it was meticulously researched and thought-provoking, not just shitting out typical rhetoric.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Serial Experiments Lain digs into the creation of the Internet, which is of course a government thing, and Digimon Tamers also casts the government in a suspicious light. I guess digging into that sort of territory eventually turned into conservative radicalization through conspiracy theories?

In Tamers at least, shady government guy ends up being an ally and actually helps the kids with his resources

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
In Tamers at least, shady government guy ends up being an ally and actually helps the kids with his resources
Yeah, in Tamers the government isn't really bad, it's a gray versus gray conflict with the Digimon where only the children are innocent enough to imagine that these two hostile factions could instead live in harmony.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Someone holding the IP saw that script and said "All good; go ahead."
Even if there's different hands, it's the same head and I'm not supporting anyone that okayed that call.
It's a follow up to a radio drama, I agree with you, but I don't think whoever approved this was high up on the chain

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If this isn't proof that literally all sequels/spinoffs/etc. to previous Digimon series are inherently cursed, I don't know what is.