Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine if the Chicxulub Impactor missed Earth, denying our mammalian ancestors the opportunity to rapidly diversify in the face of the rapid decline of the dinosaurs, resulting in the human species never evolving and fascism never being invented.
iqoli32ur6y21.jpg

Deleted member 82064

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2020
This is one real pandora's box. It's very well documented that women of Nazi Germany made great efforts for the Nazi regime. Nurses injected leathel injections, field secreteries were mostly women, etc. But women rarely faced justice after ww2. For various reasons (there was even some twisted logic behind it) but many of them should have.

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
How do trials such as this get processed?

It's pretty hard to imagine anyone not being aware of what was really going on, but especially this long after, what do you do to prove complicity/guilt?

Is there anything people in this position could realistically use as a defense (such as fearing for their lives, or the lives of loved ones, I guess?)

It's impressive that so long after the fact, they're still holding people accountable.

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
It is the principal. Having one foot in the grave doesn't mean that all should be forgiven. These 10,000 people and their families who lost a loved deserve justice no matter the age.
But is it really justice? She lived 70 years. The best years of her life. The remaining years are the shit years. By now what's the point? She will probably live a better life in prison then she otherwise would have. I just don't see it as justice.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
But is it really justice? She lived 70 years. The best years of her life. The remaining years are the shit years. By now what's the point? She will probably live a better life in prison then she otherwise would have. I just don't see it as justice.
It's to send a message that no matter how old you are, you will not get away with supporting or being complicit in atrocities.

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
It's to send a message that no matter how old you are, you will not get away with supporting or being complicit in atrocities.
I understand it as punishment. I don't disagree with that. I just don't see it as justice. Being charged with the crime doesn't right the wrong that was committed. I guess my argument here is just the words used.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
All these "the nazi party party rose to power in great part due to America" posts are some of the biggest eye roll posts I've seen here. Some of you Americans just can't view anything outside the lens of your own politics.

Europe has a rich and varied history of racism and totalitarianism and doesn't need your help.
They didn't need our help but got it anyway.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if the Chicxulub Impactor missed Earth, denying our mammalian ancestors the opportunity to rapidly diversify in the face of the rapid decline of the dinosaurs, resulting in the human species never evolving and fascism never being invented.
You'd just end up with fascist dinos and flight supremacists.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
That was the most common excuse, a collective, defensive attitude.

"Sorry sir, I didnt notice anything. What happened to my jewish lawyer, the carpenter, postman, baker, barber, doctor, farmer,..."

The truth is: Everyone noticed.
I need to clarify: People knew about the deportations, however, most of them didn't know what happened afterwards. Civilians just couldn't imagine the cruelty and systematic killing and the Nazi government did its best to cover it up. Thats the main reason why so many Jews (and others) were completely clueless when they arrived in Auschwitz.

People working inside or living near the concentration camps definitely knew the details tho.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I understand it as punishment. I don't disagree with that. I just don't see it as justice. Being charged with the crime doesn't right the wrong that was committed. I guess my argument here is just the words used.

You can't really right the wrongs in any way if the wrongs involves people being killed, though. I can understand the wording issue, though that's going to be true of any murder adjacent crime if taken in this context.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Not a comparison, it actually happened

time.com

Why the Nazis Loved America

The terrible history of racist laws
www.history.com

How the Nazis Were Inspired by Jim Crow | HISTORY

To craft legal discrimination, the Third Reich studied the United States.
I know it happened but it's ridiculous it try to imply that if the US wasnt racist they would have not been as cruel or whatever. Europe has had long history of cruelty towards other groups of people they don't like.

Dec 31, 2017
Interesting direction the thread took at the beginning...weird that we are making this story US centric.

Anyway, this is really interesting. Good on them for trying to hold someone accountable. To what extent that will occur for a secretary who was a juvenile at the time? I don't know. I'm curious to see how it plays out.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Only high-ranking nazis were really prosecuted after WW2. 1950s Germany was more concerned with forgetting that people had ever supported Hitler than charging his supporters.

But yeah, these trials should have happened long ago, and before the accused are 90+ and can't remember a thing.

It is hard to draw a line in a long line of accountability. Sure she worked in a camp and can't say she wasn't aware of its purpose. Did she actually activity participate in the killings? Probably not, but sure was part of process. For that should should have been judged (long ago not now), but then again can we be sure about her live and conditions at the time? Could she chose another path? But think so but again a large part of the German people at the time shares guilty too, complicity with the Nazi Party or just making a blind eye to what was happening, the prisoners trains passing throw towns, etc. If you can say they were powerless to intervene, what you can say about this particularly person?

And yes, the Nazi were influenced by the American ideas at the time, specially the eugenics and the way Americans handle native and afro-american people.

Again, I do support never forgetting what was done but also taking the best path to heal everyone.