• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
Are there any ROM hacks out there that have all Pokemon put Gen 9? I'm really itching to play something where I can "catch em all".

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any ROM hacks out there that have all Pokemon put Gen 9? I'm really itching to play something where I can "catch em all".

Radical Red has everything up to gen 9, but it's really hard, even if you play the lowest difficulty.

I'm not sure if there's any other rom hacks that go up to gen 9 yet.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
The only Pokemon Rom Hack I have ever tried is Ash Grey, which follows the anime storyline. I have also been curious to try Pokemon Orange, set in the anime's Orange Islands region.

But this OP is a great primer.
Radical Red has everything up to gen 9, but it's really hard, even if you play the lowest difficulty.

I'm not sure if there's any other rom hacks that go up to gen 9 yet.
This sounds excellent.

Zemoco

Jan 12, 2021
Some really solid ones I've played in the past.

Uranium

Vega (Although I played this nearly 8 years ago, so unsure how it holds up. I remember it being HARD though)

Solarlight and Lunardark

Clover (Be wary, it was created by guys from 4chan, and all that entails....It's still a solid game though)

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
Copying my post from another thread.

Really cool hack landed recently - Fire Red/Leaf Green Geneneration 1 style

It's a complete (and completed) demake of FRLG down to Red and Blue. It's using the original music, tilesets, sprites, etc - but with the resolution of the GBA and FRLG's gameplay features. Multiplayer even seems to work with vanilla FRLG.

BulkPromo3.png
BulkPromo4.png

BulkPromo2.png
BulkPromo1.png

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Copying my post from another thread.
I have been looking for a place to start with Pokemon games that is true to the old school experience and also has some solid QoL updates and I think this might just be it. Up to now I was thinking I would just go with FRLG but was also kinda wanting that original Game Boy feel so … yeah.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Very cool thread idea.
Might I suggest that you include a pair of tags for hacks that can run on original hardware versus those that require emulation (or are PC-only, if that's a thing?)

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Oh man I legit just downloaded Polished Crystal last week but have yet to get into it. Thanks for making this thread!!

Does anyone have a favorite revamp of Silver? One of my GOATs.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
I can vouch for Crystal Clear and Red Full Color.

The amount of stuff in CC is staggering and it's very enjoyable.

Red Full Color is basically Red/Blue w/GBC colors and Gen 2 Sprites & Battle UI (though if you're picky, there's a patch that keeps the Gen 1 Sprites/UI).
Makes the Gen 1 games look a lot better.

BarryBJeans

Jul 22, 2019
My SteamDeck is arriving tomorrow and I have a HANKERIN' to play HGSS again (haven't played the game for a decade at this point). What mods are worth checking out?

erraticstatic

Jan 22, 2022
My SteamDeck is arriving tomorrow and I have a HANKERIN' to play HGSS again (haven't played the game for a decade at this point). What mods are worth checking out?
If you're looking for essentially enhanced editions of HGSS, I'd recommend: Refined Gold. Essentially makes most Pokemon available without trade, Wi-Fi events have been integrated into the main game, and a bunch of other QoL features. There's also the overhaul, but there's more substantial changes made, like breaking the linearity of areas in the original game.

If you want a difficulty hack with cross-generation wild Pokemon, type changes, and a bunch of remixed elements: can't do better than Sacred Gold/Storm Silver. There's some overlap with Refined Gold, but this is basically the entirely of Gen 4 set into one game.

ArtemisLunar

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Jun 13, 2018
Thank you so much for the thread Synohan, I was thinking on doing a similar thread but focused on other ROM Hacks, but this one is really detailed and with great recommendations!
Speaking of which, does anybody has a preferred or a good ROM Hack for Pokemon Yellow? I'm looking for something similar to Shin Poke Red/Blue, but I don't mind any good suggestion.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Looking thru this thread and im kinda shocked Crystal Legacy isnt here. It's basically crystal but with jotho mons in jotho,some move changes (cut is bug type) and a reworked level curve along with level differences for the three gyms after Morty depending on the order you do them in. Pretty fun game and i highly reccomend it. Right now the guy and his team are working on a Pokemon Yellow Romhack that fixed a lot of that game as well.

View: https://youtu.be/zaqZGGSKFtI?si=Tb2Nb8lEBwwnLdrg

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Looking thru this thread and im kinda shocked Crystal Legacy isnt here. It's basically crystal but with jotho mons in jotho,some move changes (cut is bug type) and a reworked level curve along with level differences for the three gyms after Morty depending on the order you do them in. Pretty fun game and i highly reccomend it. Right now the guy and his team are working on a Pokemon Yellow Romhack that fixed a lot of that game as well.

View: https://youtu.be/zaqZGGSKFtI?si=Tb2Nb8lEBwwnLdrg

I came to this thread to say exactly what you said. I don't play many rom hacks but I would recommend Crystal Legacy even as a first time experience with the game, it's that good.

Like the only criticisms I have of the rom hack are the final elite 4 thing being a bit repetitive and some of the new dialogue really sticking out as new dialogue in terms of writing style.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if I can ask this here (apologies if not!), but has anyone successfully put an emulator on an iPad without having to jailbreak it? I have a new iPad Air I just got and the thought of having a go at some of these Pokemon rom hacks has me salivating.

OP
OP
Synohan

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
OP has been updated. The majority of games have has a Media section added. They either have screenshots or a video to a review or trailer.

More projects were added:
Pokemon Pinball Generations
Pokemon Crystal Legacy

------

I also wanted to highlight some projects that are in-progress that look incredible:

Pokemon Legends Arise - Trinity Aenigma
An in-progress hack of Pokemon Platinum with Generation V graphics. Taking place in an alternate Sinnoh, where you impersonate the protagonists of D/P/PT, set to investigate happenings in Sinnoh. Some of the features are really cool, the creator is also a composer, so a lot of new music is being made for the game.

Pokemon Odyssey
An in-progress hack of Pokemon Fire Red. Based off of the Etrian Odyssey series, there's no Gym challenge. Instead it's focused on it's core plot, exploring new Stratums, naval exploration and side questing. It also introduces new forms for Pokemon, the Etrian types.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
OP has been updated. The majority of games have has a Media section added. They either have screenshots or a video to a review or trailer.

More projects were added:
Pokemon Pinball Generations
Pokemon Crystal Legacy

------

I also wanted to highlight some projects that are in-progress that look incredible:

Pokemon Legends Arise - Trinity Aenigma
An in-progress hack of Pokemon Platinum with Generation V graphics. Taking place in an alternate Sinnoh, where you impersonate the protagonists of D/P/PT, set to investigate happenings in Sinnoh. Some of the features are really cool, the creator is also a composer, so a lot of new music is being made for the game.

Pokemon Odyssey
An in-progress hack of Pokemon Fire Red. Based off of the Etrian Odyssey series, there's no Gym challenge. Instead it's focused on it's core plot, exploring new Stratums, naval exploration and side questing. It also introduces new forms for Pokemon, the Etrian types.

Pokémon Odyssey looks incredible. I absolutely am keeping an eye on that.

FYI, the original post has a bug, some of the games are hidden in spoilers for other games.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Vega (Although I played this nearly 8 years ago, so unsure how it holds up. I remember it being HARD though)

Clover (Be wary, it was created by guys from 4chan, and all that entails....It's still a solid game though)
Vega has really cool Fakemon, but it is absurdly hard. You legit have like four catchable Pokemon before the first gym and that shit has rollout and leftovers on one of her Pokemon. Luckily, an easy version was made for people who suck at the game.

Clover is a tragedy. It has some genuinely amazing Fakemon and at times is genuinely funny. Completely ruined by about every kind of negative trait you can imagine. Racist, sexist, anti-Semitic, islamaphobic, homophobic, transphobic, and so on. I get the recommend, but I don't even think it's worth it to get through all the fucked up shit to get to the actual quality content.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Has anyone played Theta Emerald Ex?

I'm in the mood to replay Emerald, but with the physical/special split and some of the other modern QoL improvements. I'm fine with there being extra Pokemon included and maybe some increased difficulty, but ideally it would be pretty faithful otherwise.

Altered Emerald is listed in the OP, but it lists features such as redesigned routes, story changes and some Pokemon have had their typings changed. Blergh. It seems Theta Emerald would be the purer experience?

Nov 14, 2017
Has anyone played Theta Emerald Ex?

I'm in the mood to replay Emerald, but with the physical/special split and some of the other modern QoL improvements. I'm fine with there being extra Pokemon included and maybe some increased difficulty, but ideally it would be pretty faithful otherwise.

Altered Emerald is listed in the OP, but it lists features such as redesigned routes, story changes and some Pokemon have had their typings changed. Blergh. It seems Theta Emerald would be the purer experience?
I can't speak for Theta Emerald, but Inclement Emerald has the PSS and QoL improvements and it still follows the normal Emerald plot. It's a difficulty hack, but it's a fair one IMO, as somebody that bounced off of Radical Red twice due to its difficulty.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
I've been tinkering with a fan game with Pokemon Essentials in RPG Maker XP. Does anyone know if there's a way to start from a "base game" (like a RMXP version of FireRed) to use as a starting point? That would be a lot more manageable for me to learn with before jumping all the way in and making something from scratch. It's hard to find the time to learn all of the different aspects.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently playing Pokemon Kanto Expansion Pak and it's kinda fucking awesome.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0zXtEKX89Y

I'm 6 badges in and it's basically an expansion of Gen 1 with some slight changes to the map, Beta Pokemon are added in, evolutions of Gen 1 Pokemon from later gens, regional variants are available, and even Pokemon that are gen 1 adjacent like Sandy Shocks and Scream Tail. The balance is tweaked but it's really well done, still feels like a real Pokemon game and not a difficulty hack. Feels like a total love letter to Gen 1.

Summary from the author of the hack:

- 100 new Pokemon, including post-Gen 1 evolutions (such as Kingdra and Rhyperior), Pokemon found in prototype assets (such as Gorochu and Kotora, as well as several cut evolutions from the Spaceworld 1997 demo), regional variants of Kanto Pokemon, convergent evolutions and Paradox relatives of Kanto Pokemon (the Wiglett and Toedscool lines, Scream Tail and Sandy Shocks) and even Meltan and Melmetal!

- Dark, Steel and Fairy types for the new Pokemon! Pokemon such as Clefable are still pure Normal type. The type chart for Dark and Steel matches the Spaceworld 1997 demo, and as a result is much different.

- Some select new moves have been added for the new types, along with two moves from Red and Green's prototype.

- New items, including a new fossil, new evolution items, Bottle Caps and more!

- Several new locations, some just for worldbuilding, others to add new content around the game, especially after beating the Champion!

- New music tracks for several parts of the game, such as for battling Legendaries, Team Rocket, and a handful of restored prototype tracks. A playlist of a handful of them can be found here, all composed by LuciShrimp.

- A few areas have been improved, some looking nicer, having extra content or being easier to navigate.

- MANY QoL enhancements, like having a feminine character option, no version exclusivity, being able to hold more items, additional PC boxes, a better Exp. All, Gym Leader and Elite Four rematches, and so much more!

- A handful of bug fixes and translation errors, mainly to do with the overworld or with trainer AI. Bugs within the battle system itself (like Focus Energy reducing crit rate) are preserved to keep the feel that Gen 1 had.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Great thread! I recently started a Radical Red playthrough, since it's been over a decade since I last visited Kanto and thought to try out a ROM hack that doesn't change too much.

But man, there is so much stuff here. New clever challenges and events, QoL stuff that's just too good and different difficulty modes. It's pretty challenging, but very fair.

Only think I'm not really convinced of is having every Pokémon in there. I'm only in Mt Moon and I've already seen over 120 Pokémon. Though, if you want to have newer Pokémon in your party this might be a positive for you. I personally am aiming to use gen 1 Pokémon only, which is why it's pretty hard to find them when there are over a 1000 Pokémon here.

They do make it a bit more doable by adding lots of different patches of grass where you can find Pokémon, so it's not that bad.

I'm also planning to play Emerald Rogue, which sounds like a genius twist to the Pokémon formula.

The Pokémon rom hacking community is amazing!

OP
OP
Synohan

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Relic Castle got hit with a DMCA by a company authorized to dish out DMCA's for TPCI, killing the entire site. So some links in the Fan Games and Spinoff Section will no longer work. Looking for alternatives.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's not the same thing since it's just a fan translation, but fuck, the Pokémon TCG sequel on gameboy is great. So much faster and snappier than the original and yet it feels like a direct continuation. Really loving this, kicking Nintendo for not releasing it stateside. Kid me would have devoured this game.

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing through Pokémon Prism and it's pretty neat! The additional types throw me a little bit and bloody hell the characters talk a LOT, but lots of stuff to like in there.

fzburner

Jul 3, 2023
Does anyone know how or have good guide to download the hacks on iphone? Mainly trying to download the Volt White games

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised no one's attempted to craft a "third" PKMN title (Emerald, Platinum, etc.) that combines and expands on Fire Red and Leaf Green (Ocean Blue?) or at least turn the player character gender you don't choose to play as into another (friendlier) rival with the leftover starter.

PS_Snake

Jun 11, 2023
Is there a straight up ROM version of Ruby/Sapphire that provides all the Pokémon from both those games and from Red/Blue/Yellow and Silver/Gold?

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
I discovered this a few days ago, it's a Pokemon roguelike on your browser:
www.pokerogue.net

PokéRogue

A Pokémon fangame heavily inspired by the roguelite genre. Battle endlessly while gathering stacking items, exploring many different biomes, and reaching Pokémon stats you never thought possible.

Nov 14, 2017
I've been playing this hack recently.

Pokémon Unknown

At its core it's FRLG but with the same updated engine as Radical Red and Unbound, so a bunch of QoL improvements and backports out of the gate. The main draw is that every mon you encounter is randomized, but in a logical way and not the typical "Mewtwo on Route 1" way. Trainer teams are also dynamically randomized on the fly, so if you reset the game during a battle the team will be different next time.

Kyusha

Jun 14, 2022
Any FR/LG hack rom allows you to start in Kanto while having Johto mons from the get go? thats my dream game

OP
OP
Synohan

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Any FR/LG hack rom allows you to start in Kanto while having Johto mons from the get go? thats my dream game
Yeah, sadly this is a hard one. Most 251 rom hacks hide the Johto Pokemon behind post game, pretty much just in the Sevii Islands. The others I can think of are 386, so Hoenn Dex Pokemon would be scattered around Kanto.

Nyandeyanen

Apr 16, 2024
Me and my SO have been doing soul link nuzlocke runs of Crystal Legacy and it is a real fucker of a romhack. Furthest we've gotten is beating Whitney so far, although it ate up most of our team and we failed shortly afterwards.