• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
So this is the first game I have played with any consistency in many months, and I'm really enjoying it.

Before I started this thread, I did a search for this thread and I understand there was some controversy over it. I would rather not discuss that at all in this thread.

Instead, I just want to talk about the game. I'm quite enjoying the variety of platforming challenges available. I don't think it's quite as good as a Mario game, but it reminds me a bit of Sly Cooper mixed with Psychonauts in how it's designed. Lots of gadgets, fast-paced missions with slower paced missions, but also some really beautiful, unique areas. I also like how the presentation is like a big stage show, everything is big, big big.

I'm about 40% into it, on the Alpine level. What's your opinion of the game and only the game?

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It's good but the game interrupts way, way too much gameplay with dialogue.

That's one of the reasons why the Alpine level is, by far, the highlight of the game.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what's that last line for? Something controversial happen? I like the game even though I haven't been crazy about collectathon platformers for a while now. Really does remind me a bit of Sly Cooper with Windwaker skin sometimes.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
There's actually an OT here, but it doesn't have a lot of activity.

I haven't finished A Hat in Time yet. I do plan to, but have been taking my time with it and honestly needed a bit of a break from gaming these last few weeks. I think I'm close to 70% through, maybe.

Honestly? It's not for me. I want to like it, expected to like it and went in with high expectations, but it just hasn't done a lot for me. Mafia Town was really boring and a poor intro, the stealth in the movie studio was cumbersome and frustrating, and the game lacks polish. I admire the developers' ambition and passion, but it doesn't come together.

OP
OP
Speevy

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Well I mean, the game I played through before it was Poi. They're just not making high quality 3D platformers on PC, so I'm willing to take the good with the bad.

It's an entertaining game even if I accept its flaws.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I played through it earlier this month and quite enjoyed it. Mafia Town is a bit rough and uninteresting but I very much enjoyed the other three main areas. I ended up putting 13 hours into it (getting 100%).

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an amazing game and possibly my all-time favorite 3D platformer/collectathon. It was #6 on my GOTY list for 2017 which is insane considering how stacked the year was.

I just think it's a fantastic, creative piece of work all around. There's also a bizarre mix of sheer polish and charming indie jank that somehow manages to coexist and give the game a fun atmosphere. There are also a bunch of different mission scenarios, and many of them are off-the-wall in really entertaining ways.

Great music too, and adorable protagonist, second only to Kat from Gravity Rush. It was just a marvelous experience all around. This, Edith Finch, and Hollow Knight were my holy trinity of indie games last year. Maybe even in recent memory.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Would love to play it, their support has been horrid for australian xbox one players as its still not released and they dont ever mention why?!
Would get it on steam but my pc's a turnip.

Oct 25, 2017
It's an amazing game and possibly my all-time favorite 3D platformer/collectathon. It was #6 on my GOTY list for 2017 which is insane considering how stacked the year was.

I just think it's a fantastic, creative piece of work all around. There's also a bizarre mix of sheer polish and charming indie jank that somehow manages to coexist and give the game a fun atmosphere. There are also a bunch of different mission scenarios, and many of them are off-the-wall in really entertaining ways.

Great music too, and adorable protagonist, second only to Kat from Gravity Rush. It was just a marvelous experience all around. This, Edith Finch, and Hollow Knight were my holy trinity of indie games last year. Maybe even in recent memory.

what they said, i also placed it on my goty list.

especially that music, many great songs. the soundtrack is up their with niers for me this year

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was really good, and significantly better than Yooka-Laylee. It doesn't have like any competition on PC, so that's definitely a plus.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone actually like this better than Mario Odyssey? Just curious because I adored Odyssey

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
I thought they removed that? Or was that another game he did voice work for?
That was Yooka-Laylee. To be honest though, they should have removed JonTron from A Hat In Time as well, he doesn't do a good voice.

Wait what's that last line for? Something controversial happen? I like the game even though I haven't been crazy about collectathon platformers for a while now. Really does remind me a bit of Sly Cooper with Windwaker skin sometimes.
There was also the creator of the game stealing the work of somebody who used to work with him, then creating a web page specifically to doxx that person, and when confronted about it, he denied it, despite overwhelming proof that he did it.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it a lot, I wrote some in-depth impressions when I was a little over half-way done with the game (taking my time and enjoying it), I need to write some final thoughts but my overall thoughts are about the same as when I wrote this:

Here's some pretty extensive thoughts of A Hat in Time after playing it for 8-9 hours & completing about half of the game (my percentage on my main file is about 50% done right now, & I've completed 21/40 levels the game has so far.

A Hat in Time's story follows a nameless girl (aka Hat Kid) who is an alien who's ship runs on hourglasses that store time, having the ability to rewind & freeze time. Due to some silly shenanigans involving the mafia on a planet she's passing, her ship crashes and her 40 hourglasses spread across the planet. She goes off to collect them all, meeting a colorful cast of characters along the way. The game's story isn't going to win any awards, but I've been surprised how much I've enjoyed it thus far. The characters are voice acted, & so far the voice acting is pretty good (there's also a badge you can equip which makes them to 'mumble' speak if you wish... more on badges in a bit).A few of the characters I've already come to love, plenty have time to let you come to know them & find them likable or not. I also appreciate the game's villain angle, everything is kind of a gray area in the game. The good guys aren't wholly good, the bad guys aren't wholly bad. Hat Kid actually doesn't seem to care about good vs evil, there's a do-gooder who has a morale high-ground of sorts & can't understand why Hat Kid doesn't want to use her hourglases for good, but Hat Kid just wants her hourglasses back. The bosses you face aren't strictly because they're the bad guys, just they're in your way to collect your hourglasses back. Motives for the bosses so far often have to do with wanting the hourglasses to go back in time & undo a mistake in their past, something they'll do anything to change rather than because they're evil, which I find an interesting dynamic. I don't know obviously if the story holds up all the way through yet, but I like it for what it is so far.

Game has a hub world, which is Hat Kid's ship. The ship loses power & needs the hourglasses to restore it. Get more hourglasses, & more of the ship unlocks as well as access to a new world becomes available to play. The hub world is fun to explore & gets more added to it over time, including patrons who decide to board & do small things for you (ranging from allowing you to switch music in stages to selling you something or just loitering with flavor text). Out of the many collectibles in the game are souvenirs you can find (split into pieces though), which you bring back to your ship & you organize on one of a few pedestals (you have to manually stack them though). If you complete a souvenir, you unlock a new bonus level in one of the stages you can then access, which includes a harder than usual level with collectible pictures that give you a picturebook story (no text, all pictures though) of the backgrounds of the characters who live there.

Speaking of collectibles, the collectibles here are well done, which works well for a collectathon. Every one is linked to something, there's no 'useless' collectible. Green orbs you get everywhere is your main currency, which you can use at a shopkeeper to buy new badges, to buy some new missions in levels, & some other misc things. There's different types of yarn you can collect, which gives you different hats. The hats all give you different powers, & you can change them on the fly with the d-pad or choose one from a menu of hats that slows down times. The hats abilities range from letting you speed forward, doing a statue-esque ground pound, an aura which makes certain transparent objects appear, & more. You also can collect customizable looks for your hats, as well as different colors for your main character.

There's also badges, which are kind of your power-ups in the game. You buy them from the store mostly, but some you get from other means. At the start of the game you can only equip one badge, but there's two upgrade slots you can buy from the shop to equip three badges total. Badges do everything from giving you a grappling hook to decreasing hat ability charge time to a map showing you where nearby souvenirs are, among many other things. You can change them on the fly in the middle of the level whenever you like, & they're fun to mess around with & think what's best for a situation. And then of course, the main goal of the game is to collect back your 40 hourglasses.

I feel the game's controls are going to have some mixed reactions, but I actually REALLY like them. They're a bit floatier than some platformers, & some may have different preferences here to me, but once you begin to get a handle on them you can do some crazy stuff. They can do a great job at making you kind of feel like you're parkouring, as you can run up walls for a short time, wall jump, slide to go faster, dash in the air, do a double jump, & you can begin combo-ing these things like jump, double jump while in the air, dash in the air ahead, hit a wall, wall jump off the wall, dash in the air again & do a double jump off that dash. It also can combo well into the other abilities you begin to get, like the running ability can run up walls a bit higher (as faster), or the grappling hook can chain very well into things. One ability I was not expecting at all is kind of a homing attack similar to Sonic, where if you're close enough to an enemy in the air you can press the attack button to dash towards them in the air as a homing strike. It's not all very complex, but well handled in my opinion, I personally really like the movement & almost parkour element the game has sometimes.

All of this wouldn't matter if the game wasn't fun, which at least I think it's insanely fun. The missions are very creative with a lot of twists & turns. I don't want to speak too much in-depth here, but there's a LOT of variety of what you're doing. The game shows all sorts of inspirations everywhere in its worlds & missions, & has its own set of unique twists on each one. The game is the sort of game where one level is a murder mystery on a train & you're collecting suspects while avoiding being caught, to a previously fine island level being loaded with lava and having to maneuver in a whole new way due to the change, to a sort of Luigi's Mansion/Resident Evil/Amnesia hybrid horror level, to a level where you rush to go from press meet to press meet trying to become a diva & get your reputation up by publicity stunts, or going behind the scenes of a studio in a segment that almost has tinges of something like Portal. There's a lot that happens, & then in what happens there's a lot of twists within the twists, & a lot of cleverly timed and amusing jokes & surprises.The game never loses its identity through this, but you end up going through a large variety of scenarios, & different kinds of stages (the main kind of stages are kind of open-world playgrounds that Collectathoners may know, something akin to Mario 64/Sunshine esque style, but there's some very different other types of levels, including these challenge levels that heavily remind me of Mario Sunshine, more linear affairs or sub-areas in the levels with their own flavor & level design).

I've fought two bosses so far. The bosses in this game are surprisingly not that easy, they take like 20-30 hits before they die & have multiple phases. The second boss I fought I REALLY liked, so much so I won't spoil it.

Music is fantastic, it has some stand-out tracks but all of it I've heard so far is quite good. There's also several variations of most themes which kick in during different gameplay moments, which does amp up & do what's intended.

I need to see if this game falls apart in the second half of the game, & I won't claim everyone will love it as much as I have so far, but this I think is going to be a top five Collectathon title for me. It has made me smile on multiple occasions, I've had a lot of fun with its mechanics, surprises, level design, missions, characters, and collecting.

Dec 18, 2017
I put 26 hours into it on Steam and I really liked this game.

It is so fun to zip around on a scooter and things. I like that there's so much variety in theming to the levels.

I'm kind of sad that
Mustache Girl being on your team doesn't last very long.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
It's my favorite platformer in years and I've honestly enjoyed it more then odyssey 10 hours in, not to imply it's nearly as polished tho. Lots of dark Psychonauts esqe humor, and fun varied challenges. That stealth level with the ghost was tense!

Shoozle

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
UK
Did anyone actually like this better than Mario Odyssey? Just curious because I adored Odyssey
I'm a crazy person because I preferred A Hat in Time, if only because I like to 100% a game if it's possible without replaying the entire game, and doing so in Odyssey was a chore after 600+ moons, whereas with A Hat in Time was a blast from start to finish. I also enjoyed the boss fights and NPCs more. Though I do prefer the moveset Mario has in Odyssey.

I am also downloading user-created content every week. It's been a blast to see decent support for the game from modders.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It's good but the game interrupts way, way too much gameplay with dialogue.

That's one of the reasons why the Alpine level is, by far, the highlight of the game.
I can see how one could be bothered by it, but I liked the writing actually. The murder mystery at the train level was probably the most dialogue heavy, and I really, really liked that one.
But maybe a no-talk option would be fine for people who are just in for the gameplay. They could call it a speedrun mode, or something.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I did, mostly because it's focused on platforming as opposed to exploration. It actually requires skill and precision and the levels have a lot of verticality and make for great platforming segments. The music is also better, one of the better OST's of 2017. Each level not only looks different but plays different which makes each world feel unique (which I thought was lacking in SMO). I only wish the game was bigger. I feel like it needed one or two more levels. Luckily they're adding two new (free) levels as DLC but who knows when they'll be released. It also isn't the most polished or best looking game, which is expected considering the budget.

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It's definitely a fun platformer, and a nice change of pace from Mario and certainly a lot better than Lucky

Edit: was afraid to say I liked it more than Mario here, but I see others have already said that so yeah as I was saying...a very nice change of pace.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
As far as indie platformers go I liked Poi much more, I also liked Skylar and Plux and finished both, Poi even near 100% even. Even if they're lower budget/content games I feel they were more spot on in feel and style, short and sweet if you will. I couldn't get into a Hat in Time at all even though I was super hyped over it since the initial footage years ago. Contrary to what some people say here I don't think there's much precision to its systems at all, especially boss mechanics but even your basic moves. Tons of unique assets showing the larger budget/dev time but yeah.

Eden

Nov 15, 2017
Bought this during the winter sale and was kind of blown away with how much I enjoyed it. Maybe my expectations were a little low since I played it after Odyssey but I think I liked it more than Odyssey even though I wouldn't say they're 100% comparable (and I'm sure there's some recency bias)

I liked the story elements, the boss fights, the humour, the movement, pretty much all of it.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
Picked this up the other day as I wanted a new game which was just pure fun as I was spending most evenings not really knowing that to play. Safe to say it's been the best purchase I've made in a while. Such a fun game and loving every minute of it. Really hope the devs make a sequel or something similar next.