• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
So I went to the corner store to get some snacks. A 30- or 40-something white lady was blocking a lot of the path, so I said "Excuse me" and walked around her.

As I was standing in line she suddenly whipped around and yelled, "YOU DIDN'T EVEN SAY EXCUSE ME!?" Since I don't like apologizing to people who screech at me over dumb shit I calmly corrected her that actually, I did say excuse me. She probably just didn't hear me because of my mask.

She said I was "fucking lying" and continued yelling at me. It took like a minute for her to drop it. I didn't yell or cuss back, I didn't flip her the bird or start recording, and she still kept on going that long.

Last edited:

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been yelled at about 4 billion times during my time in NYC. One lady yelled at me because I said "bless you" when she sneezed. She said "say it again. Slowly. Hear how that sounds? Do you know how to spell? Bless you. B-less. You told me to be less than what I am, and that is wrong." I had no response.

My point is that random ppl yelling at someone else in public doesn't automatically mean that person is racist, which seems to be what you are implying...? Or even that it is an issue. Let's not label anyone that is not polite a "Karen".

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been yelled at about 4 billion times during my time in NYC. One lady yelled at me because I said "bless you" when she sneezed. She said "say it again. Slowly. Hear how that sounds? Do you know how to spell? Bless you. B-less. You told me to be less than what I am, and that is wrong." I had no response.

Should have went with "You're soooooo good looking"

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

My point is that random ppl yelling at someone else in public doesn't automatically mean that person is racist, which seems to be what you are implying...? Or even that it is an issue. Let's not label anyone that is not polite a "Karen".
That's a hell of a response. Haha, I would have told her she got me

Oct 25, 2017
I once had a dude yell at me for 2 minutes in a parking lot because he thought me waving on was me flipping him off

Oct 25, 2017
I assume she was of the "Karen" age as well? Many people of that generation have a twisted sense of morals. They care so much about "manners" and other such "rules" of politeness that they'll abandon actual politeness to enforce those rules, even in a non-racial context. And of course they lash out when called out on their bs.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Had a few Karen's on Saturday. How hard is it not to park in a spot that is reserved for curbside pickup? Don't get mad at me because I'm not going to let you park there.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I would have kept walking after your explanation. You gave her power by sitting there and wasting your time.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
One lady yelled at me because I said "bless you" when she sneezed. She said "say it again. Slowly. Hear how that sounds? Do you know how to spell? Bless you. B-less. You told me to be less than what I am, and that is wrong." I had no response.
giphy-downsized-medium.gif

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A guy held the door for me leaving a Hallmark store once and I said "Thank you", and he made some comment about me not saying anything. We almost got into a fight.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I once had a woman read me the riot act and call me a "bigot*" for helping a man before helping her despite the fact he'd walked into the store a good 5 minutes before she did.

*everyone involved in this was white

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I went to the corner store to get some snacks. A 30-something white lady was blocking a lot of the path, so I said "Excuse me" and walked around her.

As I was standing in line she suddenly whipped around and yelled, "YOU DIDN'T EVEN SAY EXCUSE ME!?" Since I don't like apologizing to people who screech at me over dumb shit I calmly corrected her that actually, I did say excuse me. She probably just didn't hear me because of my mask.
I see these kinds of Karens all the time.
Whatever you don't engage. Right/wrong doesn't matter.
They want to make a spectacle.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I got yelled at once by a huge lady who thought me and a co-worker laughed at her when she dumped her 4 Costco hot dogs and drinks while trying to get into her car.

We didn't even see it happen, just having a conversation while on break, one of us laughed at a joke and next thing we know this lady is waddling towards us and yelling.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Should've busted out the phone and just said "Whatever, Karen." That would've really got her going.

Oct 27, 2017
I went to NYC one time and got yelled at by a cabby while I was in the crosswalk.

I also got yelled at for smoking in one of those medians with benches

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
One lady yelled at me because I said "bless you" when she sneezed. She said "say it again. Slowly. Hear how that sounds? Do you know how to spell? Bless you. B-less. You told me to be less than what I am, and that is wrong." I had no response.
"You're clearly correct, there is no way for you to be less than what you are".

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I sometimes touch people on the shoulder when saying "excuse me." People are in their own little world and I hate having to say "excuse me" a billion times.

And if you don't like being touched....well....you were touched.

edit: Eh, not so much these days in light of covid

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota

They had to be fucking with you, I can't picture anyone saying something like that with serious conviction without breaking.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

This is why when people sneeze, I look to the sky and shout "DEMONS!" in a high pitched falsetto (as "Bless you" was originally from the dumb-ass belief that demons were making you ill).

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

200.gif

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I sometimes touch people on the shoulder when saying "excuse me." People are in their own little world and I hate having to say "excuse me" a billion times.

And if you don't like being touched....well....you were touched.

edit: Eh, not so much these days in light of covid
Even covid aside, you shouldn't touch random people.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder what these people's reactions would be if someone said "okay Karen" and just walked away. Would they go nuclear and try to get some manager and cop on you, or would they recoil knowing that their desperation for assertion failed...

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

lmao what

some people I swear.

Oct 25, 2017

Karen doesn't mean "racist woman"

It means self-entitled white woman

That woman you are talking about is a Karen.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Went to a whole sale place in Brooklyn a couple weeks ago, the guy selling the stuff said go load my stuff up in the car and he'll write up the receipt. It's a cash place, I go finish up and go back for my receipt and this lady starts yelling at me and the guy. That I'm cutting in front of her.

That he was helping her and she got very aggressive and racist, said I'm dumb asshole and I don't Have no respect said I should go back to my country. I said it's 9am you're an immigrant from africa and I'm of indian descent and we're at a Chinese whole saler and you wanna talk racist for reason, she threw everything she was gonna buy on the floor. Her driver who I think is her family came out of nowhere a huge dude and I'm thinking shit might really pop off now and to my surprise he walks past me and starts yelling at her for making him late always with these outbursts.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017

What in the actual fuck lmao

Ballou

Apr 2, 2020
I wonder what these people's reactions would be if someone said "okay Karen" and just walked away. Would they go nuclear and try to get some manager and cop on you, or would they recoil knowing that their desperation for assertion failed...

I believe there's a subreddit filled with definitely real stories exploring this very premise.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My fave Karen moment was when I lived in NYC. I stopped to read a flyer for a lecture at NYU about the US's culpability in global wars and some Karen rolled up and stood behind me to see what I was reading then shouted "terrorist" at me before storming off.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

My canned response to stuff like this is just, "Don't talk to me."

Works very well in my experience.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always motion to my ear and pretend to be deaf.
I've been yelled at by a deaf Karen. Talk about an experience.

Working in a grocery store, the grinding machine was busted and needed to be repaired during a sale, so nothing could be ground.

"Do you have any of the burger on sale?"

"Sorry, no, the machine is broken and the repairman won't be here until tomorrow morning."

"Well, what are you going to do about it!?"

"I can't do anything... the machine is broken and I can't repair it."

"I didn't ask if you could repair it! I SAID, "WHAT...ARE...YOU...GOING..TO DO... ABOUT IT!?"

At this point I just stared at her for a moment and her teenage daughter grabbed her and started telling her how awful and embarrassing she was being. I used that moment to slip away into the backroom, hit the lights, then out the back door as the night was over. But yeah, just imagine that but being yelled at you by a deaf person.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I've had a few dickheads with no patience acting up when manning the entrance at my retail job since the virus hit. One guy tried making a show to the people behind him of how he thought I was clueless because I politely said he'd need to wait for one more customer to leave, and I involuntarily started chuckling condescendingly. Surprised he didn't go ballistic, he even thanked me when he later left the shop.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017

WTF?! That is one hell of a story. You totally should've started a new thread about this.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

"Karen" does not necessarily imply the person being racist. It's just that Karen-like behaviour targets people of color disproportionately because that's just how entitlement works.

Also, of course behaviour like this is an issue, regardless of how often it happens in NY.

Then I would have ignored her or whipped out my phone.

So basically no matter what, the OP did something wrong and has at least part of the blame. Thank you for your empathy and support.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

With a response like that, I would've asked her to be less her too, jeez.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I was talking to a friend at a train station and a woman walked up to us and said
"Are you guys talking about me???"
"....no?"
"well whats with all the hand gestures then???"
"we're... just talking to each other?"
and then she walked away, looking very angry at us.

We also got into an elevator a few weeks later and there was a guy in there, after the doors shut he said
"Don't worry, everythings going to be juuuuust fine"
we got off at the next floor and took the stairs lol

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
As a white Canadian male I've spoke against and seen countless crazy white bitches, excuse me, "Karens", enough to last me a life time, and I'm only 45. Fuck every single one of them and their privileged, prissy, holier than thou, cranky, usually fat asses.