• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the next couple of episodes. Weird batch! I'm mixed on the execution all around, but there are some interesting ideas here.

my big problem with episode 5 is it feels like the writers pacing back and forth early in the morning, trying to figure out how they can top the inquisitor from season 1, before eventually writing on a white board "2 inquisitors". There's some stuff going on in the background here, the lady inquisitor has a line which makes her sound a bit Dedra-ish, chasing possibilities in the power vacuum left after season 1 - but broadly I still don't feel like I know who these characters are (ESPECIALLY the guy), and they don't seem especially cool or powerful either. Cool designs though!

Episode 6. Hondo!!!!
It's interesting to see him in the context of Rebels. Hondo certainly has a lot of stuff going on by the end of clone wars, and it's freeing to see him without that stuff weighing his character down. But there's still that weird tension where Hondo is a total loser who gets nothing done, but the writers clearly want you to think he's cool. He's not cool! He has no swag. He *should* be a pathetic little meow meow, but the writers refuse to let him be that. Also the Ezra stuff is...I see what they were going for, but I don't think it works because Hondo is just a terrible foil.
Vizago is a real one though, he did nothing wrong.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Andor physical releases are up for preorder, fyi

I like the inquisitors, personally. I always saw it as them being treated as just another Imperial asset which has been assigned with taking the crew down, rather than the biggest baddest threat in the universe. They're characters who are allowed to lose, but still pose a threat when together

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
The crew should watch the Dune movies.

But they obviously have to start with the David Lynch 1984 version, and then tackle the TV miniseries from 2000.

Only then can you really appreciate Villeneuve's work.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I understand WHY they can't be a prestige media podcast, but I would gladly pay whatever Patreon tier they want for them to do it. I've always wanted them to cover Severance.

Nov 27, 2020
Watched the next couple of episodes. Weird batch! I'm mixed on the execution all around, but there are some interesting ideas here.

my big problem with episode 5 is it feels like the writers pacing back and forth early in the morning, trying to figure out how they can top the inquisitor from season 1, before eventually writing on a white board "2 inquisitors". There's some stuff going on in the background here, the lady inquisitor has a line which makes her sound a bit Dedra-ish, chasing possibilities in the power vacuum left after season 1 - but broadly I still don't feel like I know who these characters are (ESPECIALLY the guy), and they don't seem especially cool or powerful either. Cool designs though!

Episode 6. Hondo!!!!
It's interesting to see him in the context of Rebels. Hondo certainly has a lot of stuff going on by the end of clone wars, and it's freeing to see him without that stuff weighing his character down. But there's still that weird tension where Hondo is a total loser who gets nothing done, but the writers clearly want you to think he's cool. He's not cool! He has no swag. He *should* be a pathetic little meow meow, but the writers refuse to let him be that. Also the Ezra stuff is...I see what they were going for, but I don't think it works because Hondo is just a terrible foil.
Vizago is a real one though, he did nothing wrong.
I really like what they did with Hondo in Rebels, although I'm not expecting the podcast crew to feel the same. The relationship between Hondo and Ezra makes more sense than Hondo and Obi-Wan. In his first appearance he was put over on by Chopper, but there's a real sympathy he feels for Ezra, to the point that he lies to the Ghost crew about what was going on.

I just finished rewatching the series, and there's a moment where Hondo says near the finale "I would do anything for that boy", and he genuinely means it. I just think that Hondo fits better with the Rebels crew than the Jedi in TCW.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm getting closer to finishing the Clone Wars (just finished the D-Squad arc), and it's funny how often my opinion on episodes and episodes don't match with the AMCA crew.

For some reason in this show I just like the goofier, fun storylines compared to the thematically deeper or lore heavy episodes.

Not saying I don't agree with most of what they bring up and I still love hearing their discussions, but nearly every time I finish an episode or arc and think "that was a lot of fun!" I start the podcast and they say something like "these episodes were torture", haha.

netprints

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting for dark disciple audio book from Libby. Then it's time to move on to rebels(after solo). Clone wars was interesting. Ups and downs on that show. Interested how rebels will be.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I just caught up to where AMCA talks about Obi-Wan Kenobi (the show) and watched it for myself for the first time.

Definitely agree with them that the show is pretty awful. The look, the characters, the story, all pretty terrible. You could really tell this story was originally meant to be a movie with how drawn out everything is.

I loved when they were asking at what point during production did anyone realize this was how the show was looking. I was thinking the exact same thing watching it for myself. The supposedly intimidating Inquisition just looking like a bunch of Power Ranger villains was so true.

I usually hate when movies or shows put filters over everything (like how Solo is all washed out, or anything set in Mexico is yellow), but this show desperately needing something like that to mask how bad it all looks.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
#TeamVizago

I think I'd be down for watching more episodes per batch in future. If nothing else, I'm having a good time with Rebels, I'm always down to watch more, but also the characters are the highlight of the show for me and they're what I find most interesting to discuss. Watching more episodes at once might help move discussion towards overall character trajectories, rather than episode by episode minutiae? Maybe.

netprints

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just caught up to where AMCA talks about Obi-Wan Kenobi (the show) and watched it for myself for the first time.

Definitely agree with them that the show is pretty awful. The look, the characters, the story, all pretty terrible. You could really tell this story was originally meant to be a movie with how drawn out everything is.

I loved when they were asking at what point during production did anyone realize this was how the show was looking. I was thinking the exact same thing watching it for myself. The supposedly intimidating Inquisition just looking like a bunch of Power Ranger villains was so true.

I usually hate when movies or shows put filters over everything (like how Solo is all washed out, or anything set in Mexico is yellow), but this show desperately needing something like that to mask how bad it all looks.
I think you are about where I am in AMCA.

Obi Wan was not great. I lost myself at the kid under the long coat to escape the base. I couldn't take the show seriously. (also the kidnap scene too.)

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
#TeamVizago

I think I'd be down for watching more episodes per batch in future. If nothing else, I'm having a good time with Rebels, I'm always down to watch more, but also the characters are the highlight of the show for me and they're what I find most interesting to discuss. Watching more episodes at once might help move discussion towards overall character trajectories, rather than episode by episode minutiae? Maybe.
Yeah, as someone who doesn't actually watch the episodes I think three episodes per pod would be fruitful if it doesn't add strain to the crew's time. I like the Rebels discussion but I also eagerly anticipate them getting to Bad Batch, more comics, or even The Acolyte.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That line from Rob about him being strapped in with his arms up and ready for the ride while everyone else is complaining - that is my core Star Wars experience. I acknowledge that a lot of Star Wars stuff is bad, but I almost always have fun with it anyway. (Boba Fett is probably the biggest exception here.)

DrewyMcK

Nov 5, 2017
Yeah, definitely sign me up for more episodes per podcast. Wonder if they have any plans for what else they might want to cover after they go back to finish Clone Wars, other than Ahsoka / Bad Batch?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking this for so long but I would kill for an avatar Airbender rewatch with this specific crew

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"The worst uncle"

Beers to be held.

And Obi-Wan Kenobi would have killed as a Planes, Trains, and Automobiles with Hondo.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the next two episodes. Women!

I think I'm starting to feel Rebel's relative lack of depth in a very real way. These episodes were very fun, some of my favourites of season 2 so far, but there are some conflicts here that either are resolved very quickly that could easily have been a much longer thing, or just... Well, episode 7 is about Hera proving herself as a pilot. She's already established as a great pilot! I didn't need an episode about that really. But on the other hand, I do love Hera, and the new ship *was* very cool... So it was fun. But I probably won't remember this one months down the line.

Episode 8 I think suffered from me not internalising the title being called "blood sisters", so it just came across to me as a bunch of gay flirting until the topic came up half way through the episode (and even then it was still kind of gay in places, intentionally or otherwise). But in my defence, they don't seem very committed to the sister angle, or... really any angle with the new character. She's working for the black sun! Woah! Clone Wars thing! We learn so little about it, and she's *basically* on the side of the rebels by the end of the episode. She feels like she has already developed out of anything interesting they could do with the character, although clearly the writers feel otherwise.
As I say - I enjoyed myself. Glad to be watching Rebels! But also I just watched the latest episode of dungeon meshi, and wow. What a show. There's still room for Rebels to improve, is what I'll say. I want something a bit more substantial to latch onto.

Sneaky Gato

Oct 27, 2017
Getting to the end of the pod I agree a push for three episodes for a while might be good. While the group has enjoyed the briskness of the series so far they appear to have hit what is probably my biggest issue with the series, that many episodes are condensed to much, which is kind of the opposite issue many CW arcs had.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Best bet is for Austin to see what episodes are the two-parters/inseparable, and work backwards to present to the rest of the crew. Right now and from a rather recent rewatch, I think they're in the clear to do 3 at a time with nothing lost.

The show does get a lot deeper/packed where two episode five star run times will return, but we still have a bit till we get there.

Nov 27, 2020
Aside from the super obvious episodes that I'm sure were all waiting to hear their reactions to, the one I think I'm most excited about is "Legends of the Lasat". It's kind of a meh episode over all, but has my favorite visual/music segment of the entire series: when the Ghost jumps through the stellar nursery to find the lost planet. Back when it first aired, the whole thing gave me BSG vibes.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Regarding how to split episodes going forward, the show mostly cuts up neatly into 2 episodes per pod for most of the run. There's a handful of sets where you'd want to go to 3 for next season, and maybe just the final 3 episodes of the show as a set.

DrewyMcK

Nov 5, 2017
So how long do you think it'll be before Wookiepedia spoils Austin or Natalie on Ventress being back?

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is absolutely not clicking those spoilers, I am living for them being here at all.
What could possibly have happened in bad batch that is relevant to a podcast currently covering a different show... The drama, the suspense! Is it good? Is it awful? Who knows! I'm enjoying imagining what it could be.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
damn was hoping for a release lol

i should probably stump for the patreon for a month and just vacuum up some q+as

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New episode is up now, so not as bad as a delay as initially thought.

There's may be one pair of episodes left that may not land for them, and that'll be the podcast after the next one. The rest of the episodes should have at least some decent hooks and framing until things really take off.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
These episodes were just kinda weak and a bit nonsensical. I'm glad I know that there are other places this show is going, but these kinds of episodes don't do the series any favors.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I think I enjoyed these "mid" episodes more than the equivalent ones in season 1

as (I think) austin said, rebels is just a pleasant and very watchable show with a fun ensemble of characters

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I think I enjoyed these "mid" episodes more than the equivalent ones in season 1

as (I think) austin said, rebels is just a pleasant and very watchable show with a fun ensemble of characters
I'd say that's true for most other characters, but Sabine continues to be too much of a loose sketch of a character. She's just "cool girl" rather than an actual force in the room. She doesn't pull the conversation in her direction, so an episode about her doesn't have much to play with.

Light spoilers for future episodes:
She does get more to do as the show goes on, but they never fulfill their potential with her or really develop her as someone with a meaningful perspective.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Blood Sisters is probably one of two skip episodes (the other is probably S2e12A Princess on Lothal), show that otherwise does well to have some sort of development or concept that's worth checking in on. THIS is filler, through and through.

Yet somehow, at its worse it's maybe a mid episode on TCW/Mando scale than bad.

Thankfully, iirc this is Ezra at his worst/annoying with the cringe puppy behavior and it's pretty much dropped.
I'd say that's true for most other characters, but Sabine continues to be too much of a loose sketch of a character. She's just "cool girl" rather than an actual force in the room. She doesn't pull the conversation in her direction, so an episode about her doesn't have much to play with.

Light spoilers for future episodes:
She does get more to do as the show goes on, but they never fulfill their potential with her or really develop her as someone with a meaningful perspective.
I'd argue that Sabine does have that perspective, but it's just the one and a bit too self-involved. There's hardly a bigger picture, and at the point it does get there it ends up being refocused through a legacy character. And then to have both storylines end up amounting to little/nothing to continue into new shows and beyond.

Everyone else has wider and deeper connections to the story and characters around them, though it certainly takes a long while for some to get the opportunity and care to get to that point.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Cautiously optimistic that Tales from the Empire won't be full of Rebels/Bad Batch/CW final season spoilers and the crew could actually watch it

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised they didn't go ahead with doing three episodes going forward like they were discussing in the previous episode, especially since they were a bit cold on these mid-season standalone episodes.

Shout outs to Rob and Austin for making the attempt to justify to girls how the B-Wing is cool. It didn't work but as a starfighter sicko I appreciate the effort.