Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Vg9r4Ej.png
www.theverge.com

Microsoft gives in and lets you close OneDrive on Windows without explaining yourself

This is Microsoft’s latest annoying addition to Windows.

Dear god #Just2023things

red mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2023
Does this actually send them the information or is it just to guilt trip you?

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Designers who can only think in visuals and/or "just code" developers plus shitty product management have lots of awful babies.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
How much more fucking information do you need from us, Microsoft

Just let me click shit on my computer in peace you animals

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Yep lol. It just did for me, wanted to see if it did after seeing this thread. I never use the thing and selected that as my reason.

Between this, Copilot, the personal Teams app (not work or school), that chat icon, Cortana (is that still a thing?) Windows installs have so much annoying bloatware that is difficult or annoying to remove

Oct 29, 2017
How much more fucking information do you need from us, Microsoft

Just let me click shit on my computer in peace you animals

But are you SURE you don't want to use Edge?

Did you know that Halo Infinity is out?

You wanna play fucking Candy Crush?

I really hate the whole OS-as-a-service garbage.

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when computers simply DID the things you asked them to do?

Now it's...
"Not now"
"Ask me later"
"Remind me later"
FUCK THE SHUT UP, COMPUTER!

OP
OP
Infinity Times Two
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Is there a name for this nonsense UX practice?

Be as annoying as possible when the user is not playing along with our most profitable use case?

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like it's to mitigate customers complaining about "losing data"

I've only designed internal tools but I've put passive aggressive shit like this in before after so many self inflicted tickets.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Every. Single. Time. My computer restarts:

"You want Edge as your default browser, right?"

"You want to sync your passwords on other browsers to Edge, right?"

"You want to move your entire internet history over to Edge, right?"

"Click YES or NO to set Edge as your default browser."

Get off me, Microsoft. Please.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
I set up any account on an OS as local user.
The coupling of online storage and info is such a mess, especially on Windows.a
but this prompt is just….amazing
is it real xD?

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The next step is having you type a reason so a conversational AI can try to convince you not to do it.

I really hate this, I hate that people discussed this at length and decided to spend time and money to implement so aggressively stupid.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, the vitriol in this thread over a prompt.

The premise is quite simple: OneDrive is meant to be constantly running in order to actually do what it's meant to do, which is keep your files and synced folders synced. Closing it presents a weird edge case where OneDrive is not able to do what it is meant to due to user intervention. The user closing OneDrive may or may not actually understand the impact doing so has on their file sync.

This prompt is simply a mechanism to get some feedback from actual users who are choosing to close OneDrive, which i probably some very small, inconsequential % of the population, but significant enough that a PM somewhere wants to understand it better, and this is the first iteration of how they decided to gather that feedback.

It's not terrible. I am not awfully up to speed on what the best practices are for these types of feedback prompts, but more likely than not there is no clear best practice since this particular product scenario is quite niche.

This is not being done to "be annoying" and "force" you into keeping OneDrive open. Actually backing up your files is a cost to Microsoft (in terms of infrastructure availability). It'd behoove them to stop syncing files for users who don't use it. With that said, instead, they are trying to make sure the OneDrive file syncing you presumably choose to have, is actually going to work.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Remember when computers simply DID the things you asked them to do?

Now it's...
"Not now"
"Ask me later"
"Remind me later"
FUCK THE SHUT UP, COMPUTER!
Computers are our friends and we should show them respect and accept them for themselves.

I'm gonna have a very long history of being friendly to computers once sentient AI comes along and takes over the world. They'll look up my online history and treat me better because of it.....

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I recently bought a new laptop.
Sometimes when booting it, I get a full screen thing saying "let's finish setting up your pc"
Telling me to sign up to a trial of gamepass or office.

It's frustrating how windows has become an advertising platform.
Essentially all sorts of ways to give your money or data to Microsoft.

I do find it funny how fanboys are recommending edge these days when if you click on extra reporting or what it's called you agree to send them your browsing history lol.

Oh and it seems it does stuff like this without:

www.theverge.com

Microsoft Edge is leaking the sites you visit to Bing

Microsoft says it’s investigating reports of an Edge privacy issue.

Oh and look at this:
rawinfopages.com

How to stop Microsoft Edge spying on Chrome browsing data

If you are running the latest version of Microsoft Edge on a Windows computer, you may not realise it, but it is copying everything you do in Chrome every time you open it. Here’s how it work…

Last edited:

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
This is nothing compared to what the new Outlook does. It places an ad at the top of your inbox and styles it to look identical to an unread email.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
finalflame
Did you miss the point that the default response you get from the Enter key is Cancel? Thats the problem. You literally can't close it without selecting, with the mouse if you're bad at keyboard shortcuts, a response which does not enhance the user experience.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

The premise is quite simple: OneDrive is meant to be constantly running in order to actually do what it's meant to do, which is keep your files and synced folders synced. Closing it presents a weird edge case where OneDrive is not able to do what it is meant to due to user intervention. The user closing OneDrive may or may not actually understand the impact doing so has on their file sync.

This prompt is simply a mechanism to get some feedback from actual users who are choosing to close OneDrive, which i probably some very small, inconsequential % of the population, but significant enough that a PM somewhere wants to understand it better, and this is the first iteration of how they decided to gather that feedback.

It's not terrible. I am not awfully up to speed on what the best practices are for these types of feedback prompts, but more likely than not there is no clear best practice since this particular product scenario is quite niche.

This is not being done to "be annoying" and "force" you into keeping OneDrive open. Actually backing up your files is a cost to Microsoft (in terms of infrastructure availability). It'd behoove them to stop syncing files for users who don't use it. With that said, instead, they are trying to make sure the OneDrive file syncing you presumably choose to have, is actually going to work.

Good for the UX authority to come in and clear it up for us dummies.

red mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2023

finalflame
Product Management

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
When product management starts to manage its users I'd say that's pretty bad UX design, but what do I know?

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Considering this is backing up your stuff, shutting it down can cause sync issues later. My guess is the product team wants some data on why folks would shut it down.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

We understood this already.

finalflame
Did you miss the point that the default response you get from the Enter key is Cancel? Thats the problem. You literally can't close it without selecting, with the mouse if you're bad at keyboard shortcuts, a response which does not enhance the user experience.
This.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
I had to complete a survey in order to uninstall a virus checker the other week. I only installed it to do some compatibility testing for work!

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

I imagine whatever PM approved this probably has as condescending of an attitude toward their users as this post.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
finalflame

How many people kill off OneDrive?
How many people kill off OneDrive and don't know how to navigate a windows modal with their keyboard?
How many people kill off OneDrive, don't know how to nav with a keyboard, and give a shit at that point about UX?

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
The description lays out the consequence of closing onedrive, why grey out the quit button and require (or at least that's what I see and read from the article) a reason every single time, but I guess they will the message through the article and I hope they'll adjust that at least.
Moreover, Window's indexing is already not that efficient and bloated. The coupling with Onedrive and it's issues are intertwined in many aspects, which makes me think the root cause should be addressed somewhere else also…

Anywhos, sucks.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
One drive has done nothing but fuck up my computers and email. I never (to my recollection) set it up, I keep trying to turn it off because I hate it. I guess I'm failing because it's still copying everything that (I think) I'm saving to desktop and vomiting it all over other computers. I do digital art which takes up a lot of space - one drive just copied all of it instantly and filled up both it and my email. And if I try to clear stuff out of it to be able to use my email, it deletes the stuff from my desktop! I just want to save it locally! Leave me alone!

I'm sure I just can't figure it out because I'm stupid.
I'm an idiot, I admit it!
This is All my own fault for being so stupid, I get it.

But I never asked for thus "service" and I don't want to use it!

(…uh…apparently I had feelings…sorry)

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We understood this already.
This.
finalflame
Yah I had glossed over that -- but the point remains the same. The desired outcome here is that the user has to select a choice if they wish to close OneDrive. This helps achieve that.

Whether it's acceptable UX or not .. depends on who you ask, and, again, what their goals are. If one were to listen to The Verge and this thread, no. Neither are representative of the general population that uses, and closes, OneDrive.

I imagine whatever PM approved this probably has as condescending of an attitude toward their users as this post.
Maybe, maybe not.

Good for the UX authority to come in and clear it up for us dummies.
Nice strawman.

finalflame
Product Management
Sup?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Vaguely related, Word has started suggesting that I save to Onedrive as data is better in the cloud... even though my default save location is fucking Dropbox.

It's an extra click after I've already clicked save, and it's shit.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
One drive has done nothing but fuck up my computers and email. I never (to my recollection) set it up, I keep trying to turn it off because I hate it. I guess I'm failing because it's still copying everything that (I think) I'm saving to desktop and vomiting it all over other computers. I do digital art which takes up a lot of space - one drive just copied all of it instantly and filled up both it and my email. And if I try to clear stuff out of it to be able to use my email, it deletes the stuff from my desktop! I just want to save it locally! Leave me alone!

I'm sure I just can't figure it out because I'm stupid.
I'm an idiot, I admit it!
This is All my own fault for being so stupid, I get it.

But I never asked for thus "service" and I don't want to use it!

(…uh…apparently I had feelings…sorry)

But why would you ever want to turn it off? Inquiring product managers want to know!

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
as soon as the m3 mac studio ultra is out I will never have to look at windows again.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yah I had glossed over that -- but the point remains the same. The desired outcome here is that the user has to select a choice if they wish to close OneDrive. This helps achieve that.
Sure, from stupid people. The good users find a way to edit the shitty UI decision making.

me, i switched to linux which lets me shut down by hitting X in the corner of the desktop and doesn't ask if i mean it.