Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Because it's on Fox now. Actually well under what Fox were hoping from it too.

Ah, just did some quick Googling and wasn't aware Fox wanted 3 million. Damn.

In any case, this has to be good for the industry as a whole. Don't really care about the war side of things. I just want good wrestling from everywhere.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
War? This is gonna be a one sided thing. AEW will keep getting its rating go higher while WWE... Lesnar.

Ironic thing is Lesnar would probably explode AEW ratings but he's doing nothing for WWE right now. It's all about good management.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
These threads are really not dispelling my perception that AEW mostly comprises well-liked ex-WWE talent.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Watching this on TNT's site doesn't contribute to the ratings, does it?

In any case, well-deserved. AEW has been very good since it's inception, and it's only getting better.

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How long till Michael Cole starts giving away Rampage results on SmackDown?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Well goddamn deserved.

image.png
Imagine being the fucking idiot who came up with this?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
These threads are really not dispelling my perception that AEW mostly comprises well-liked ex-WWE talent.

You'd be wrong. Yes, the increase in ratings is due to those guys and a gal, but AEW has been performing strong within the 18-49 demo since the beginning. AEW also has the most and best up and coming talent in the entire industry that comprises the vast majority of their roster.

Oct 8, 2019
Calling AEW vs WWE a war is like calling AWA vs WWF a war in 1984. One side has more money, a much younger owner, and more importantly an owner not stuck in the past.

Vince is obsessed with bringing back the glory days of the mid 80's when it was his idea of wrestling, but King Kong Bundy failed in 1995, and the Dungeon of Doom failed at the same time, people didnt want 80's wrestling in 1995 let alone wanting to watch 80's wrestling in 2020. The Ultimate Warrior flopped in both WWE and WCW because people wanted to see better workers. Sure people make fun of Lex Luger and Hulk Hogan's wrestling ability, but they could work a 15-20 match and have it be pretty good, while the Ultimate Warrior could only squash people.

You cant sell people on a big muscle man fighting a broken down giant with a bad back like you could in 1987.

The Adam Cole thing is just completely damning, where Vince wanted to take NXT's biggest star and make him a manager because his completely obsessed with height despite the ratings proving that most people dont care.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Now just nail the video game, and AEW will be GOAT

Owens is very likely going to AEW early next year, and I assume Sami Zayn too, before him.

Oct 28, 2017
A few caveats.

-Raw still has the total viewership over AEW Dynamite.
-Smackdown is now the main show which has had pretty strong ratings lately. They've pretty much gutted the roster for Smackdown.
-AEW came off a PPV with a lot of buzz.
-Neither programs are "head to head".

I don't think Vince is really sweating AEW's ratings - they have months to see if they can sustain the ratings and viewership. If AEW can string together 1.4 million and key demos to say March, that's something that will definitely turn heads. Regardless, WWE turned record profits and probably will come close to it for 2021.

As for AEW - they definitely have a lot of viewership caused by buzz. It again remains to be seen if they can keep + expand their viewership. They're definitely due for major TV money when their contract is up (2023?). I'm not personally impressed by the product (just my personal taste) but competition is awesome.

I would expect a Vince response further down the road than many assume (maybe RR-Mania season). Again while Raw was his baby - Smackdown is the show.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
This is a big success but it'll drop. I could see them pulling these numbers more regularly in a few months though if their past growth is anything to go by.

As is, they're a long way from matching Raw's actual viewer numbers too. But they'll probably get there.

Im actually more surprised by how good the numbers have been for Rampage given its garbage timeslot.

I'm sure, since my only real exposure to it is threads in this forum. Volume of people moving between them just seems striking is all.
I've never really got the "WWE talent in AEW" thing. WWE has spent the past few years buying up most of the industry. When most wrestlers have been or are at WWE then yeah, you're gonna get a lot of ex-WWE talent in other promotions. And AEW books them way better so who cares other than WWE fans?

Last edited:

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
So odds on next week's Raw being a legends night? lol.
This always gets me thinking of how AEW treats its legends. They don't show up to pop a rating. They're key figures in matches, storylines, and actively add to their legacy.

Not only did they get Sting, they got him out of retirement and treat him like he's a goddamn legend. A 60 yr old man is one of the most intimidating dudes on the roster! And he's been in Darby's corner the whole time and we all know Sting will put Darby over eventually. Just magical.

I don't even know what legends WWE could pull from aside from the standard attitude Era fare. Stone Cold comes out, give him a hell yeah, stunner rising star wrestler, leave. Who benefits in that scenario? Get a legend that will stick around and do something, ANYTHING, that actively affects the status quo and everyone benefits for it.

That's just ONE reason why AEW is getting everything they deserve. Incredible booking, sensible narratives, awesome wrestling. Absolutely gobsmacked that they pulled off such a rating. Well done.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
They were the only prominent wrestling promotion in the USA for nearly 2 decades. Almost all veteran wrestlers will have spent some time in WWE.

Yeah that makes sense. Just seems like it's been a particularly rapid exodus over the last 6 months or so just based on headlines.

EDIT: Though the natural other half of that is WWE seeming to fire swaths of people en masse every couple months as well.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
AEW coming off what many called one of the best PPVs of recent memory, threw the kitchen sink against a regular ass RAW show and squeaked by with 3k in the key demo. And lost by 500k overall to a Raw with Lashley and MVP in a tag match against AJ & Omos

Things will be back to normal next week, or until TK signs another star.

Holy shit, you're still around trolling.

Remember that time you were crying about "just wanting to talk about wrestling" lol

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
While that's a gigantic milestone to hit in its fairly short history, it's all about maintaining those figures on top of growing the audience.

Bryan F'n Danielson, son.

He should wrestle next week, fuck it. Give him Nick Jackson.

Striker

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they can sustain it. It's pretty crazy that AEW had one of their biggest PPVs and debuted 2 of the biggest wrestlers but didn't beat their record. There's definitely a ceiling for wrestling ratings.
That's how I see it. Raw has been getting record lows for the past few years. They're bleeding viewers. I think both will plateau at some point. Look at it this way, Raw in early '96, which is at one time a low point for both WCW (until Nash and Hall show up and they change their show, they still had major non-WWF stars) and WWF (before Austin, prior to Pillman) was getting 2.5 ratings.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
There's like a 90% chance they're gonna try to get some old-timer back on in order to get a bump.

How big of a check would they have to cut for the Rock to make an appearance.
Rumours are that they are/were planning on getting him for survivor series and also talk of the next Wrestlemania but the issue is working around his filming schedule so right now Im not sure if there are any concrete plans yet for him.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit!

As someone who left the wrestling scene right around the time TNA's disastrous Monday night switch happened, I never thought I'd read this headline. With Punk and a bunch of other names going over, I might have to catch a show one of these nights - see how the product is; been way too long.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
They are moving to TBS, which will increase the ratings even more.

Is there a legal way to watch Dynamite without a cable package?

If you have a VPN you can get the aew pass thing on fite TV in the UK for I think ÂŁ5 a month and it has all the old episodes on there too, no ad breaks

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that makes sense. Just seems like it's been a particularly rapid exodus over the last 6 months or so just based on headlines.

EDIT: Though the natural other half of that is WWE seeming to fire swaths of people en masse every couple months as well.
Seems like WWE's strategy in the beginning of AEW was to just swallow up as much indie talent as they could and sign exclusivity deals with promotions in other countries. Now they are just cost cutting like crazy.

Heisenberg

Oct 25, 2017
CM Punk made me watch AEW for the first time when he debuted. Everything else made me keep watching.

AEW has restored my love for wrestling.

Same. The first episode of AEW I ever watched was the Rampage Punk debuted on. I've watched every single Dynamite and Rampage since. I even paid for and watched All Out. Doesn't hurt being a huge Bryan Danielson fan myself. Punk and Bryan are probably my two favorite wrestlers and are almost single-handily the reason I ever watched wrestling again after being a young kid during the Attitude era. All I know is that I have been loving AEW and I don't plan to stop watching anytime soon.

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you have a VPN you can get the aew pass thing on fite TV in the UK for I think ÂŁ5 a month and it has all the old episodes on there too, no ad breaks
I go this route, it's a very nice option. Even does away with the stupid Picture in Picture commercial breaks.

Sir Charles

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
Same. The first episode of AEW I ever watched was the Rampage Punk debuted on. I've watched every single Dynamite and Rampage since. I even paid for and watched All Out. Doesn't hurt being a huge Bryan Danielson fan myself. Punk and Bryan are probably my two favorite wrestlers and are almost single-handily the reason I ever watched wrestling again after being a young kid during the Attitude era. All I know is that I have been loving AEW and I don't plan to stop watching anytime soon.
Are you me?! What a time to get back into professional wrestling!

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I go this route, it's a very nice option. Even does away with the stupid Picture in Picture commercial breaks.

Yeah I remember there were some really fun moments on the fite app during what would be ad breaks for america back in the early days. They didn't cut the mics sometimes or the wrestlers would do stuff for the crowd while on ads. It's pretty cool and a very good deal considering you have so many back episodes too for that price.

Also cheaper pay per views than America I think?

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
That they beat Raw in under two years and with most of that time being in a pandemic with no fans is nothing short of incredible.

I know then Vincels and the Cornettes of world are going to try and spin it somehow, but it blows away any reasonable expectations.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the new fans in this thread! AE-Dub is for everyone! ❤️

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
AEW coming off what many called one of the best PPVs of recent memory, threw the kitchen sink against a regular ass RAW show and squeaked by with 3k in the key demo. And lost by 500k overall to a Raw with Lashley and MVP in a tag match against AJ & Omos

Things will be back to normal next week, or until TK signs another star.

Wait you watched Raw? Lol.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
With the NFL season about to start we might see Dynamite straight beat Raw in overall viewers soon

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
With the NFL season about to start we might see Dynamite straight beat Raw in overall viewers soon
I doubt it. Typically football reduces Raws ratings by around 5%-9% (with some outliers) and the ratings boost from touring/Cena/Goldberg have been holding up pretty well.

Dynamite would need to grow even more and hope for Raw to go back to pre touring ratings again to have a chance. Also Raw this week had over 90% more viewers in the non 18-49 demos and those are much harder to lose for them it seems.

I would love it to happen but the best we can hope for is beating them in the 18-49 demo on and off.