Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Jurgen Goeldner, Chairman of the Management Board of Focus Home Interactive, said:

"After the successful launch of World War Z and A Plague Tale in the first quarter, the Group's positive momentum continued in the second quarter, mainly driven by the successful release of GreedFall. This record performance demonstrates both our ability to leverage the know-how and talent of our teams with that of our partner studios and to maximise the monetization of opportunities. We will continue to work hard with the commitment of pursuing our growth journey."

Really good to hear. We need more Bioware style RPGs.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Thats the best thing about Focus Home. The budgets arent crazy, wich makes a commercials success way easier and results in sequels faster etc.
Like the Surge 1 had a budget of like 5 m.

wingedarcher7

Feb 22, 2018
Miami, FL
Plague Tale looks really interesting to me. I should get around to playing that. It's tough trying to balance my backlog with new games coming out that I want to experience.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Great to hear. I bought both and i'm having a great time with GreedFall, and i'm hoping to play Plague Tale soon as well.

Here's hoping Focus keeps supporting these days awesome AA projects, and that they continue being a success for them.

Oct 24, 2019
Great news. Both games are completely deserving of their success, and Focus Home deserves a lot of props for supporting these smaller, AA, narratively-focused singleplayer games sans-microtransactions.

IIRC they announced a vague slate of 10 games in development that they're publishing-- can't wait to find out what those are!

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really happy that a medium-tier publisher is doing well.

Also, I know that press release wasn't written for me, but my eyes glazed over at all the MBA/finance jargon.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
tumblr_py6mttTuox1qf93l9o1_540.gifv

Great to hear! And very well deserved!

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
I played both and I had a great time. APT is great as a cinematic linear adventure and Greedfall is a fun RPG with a good story and great quests.
Hopefully their success pushes Focus to invest more in this kind of projects.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Really happy for them love both games, plague tale is my game of the year.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Plague Tale was my GoTY until the last chapter happened, but it's still a great achievement for the dev team.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Really hope The Surge 2 was as well. :(
Sales on Steam have been abysmal with the information we can glean (their peak concurrent was under 3,800—GreedFall was over 16,000—and it dropped like a rock on the top-sellers list).

I thought it was going to blow GreedFall out of the water. Focus must have known something we didn't, because they heavily promoted Spiders' game while the Surge 2 just sort of slipped out.

I can't explain it. Really happy for Spiders, but it's sad that Focus didn't buy into whatever their next project is going to be (at least not enough to keep them from selling to another company). I worry how it's going to affect Spiders' future games (localization and music in particular, but also budget), though I'm glad they can finally focus exclusively on making games instead of also running a business.

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In this thread: game company making good games sees good sales.

In every other AAA publisher thread: why our slot machines under-performed? :(((

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Sales on Steam have been abysmal with the information we can glean (their peak concurrent was under 3,800—GreedFall was over 16,000—and it dropped like a rock on the top-sellers list).

I thought it was going to blow GreedFall out of the water. Focus must have known something we didn't, because they heavily promoted Spiders' game while the Surge 2 just sort of slipped out.

I can't explain it. Really happy for Spiders, but it's sad that Focus didn't buy into whatever their next project is going to be (at least not enough to keep them from selling to another company). I worry how it's going to affect Spiders' future games (localization and music in particular, but also budget), though I'm glad they can finally focus exclusively on making games instead of also running a business.

The way I see it, Surge 2 ended up directly competing with Code Vein. Whereas GreedFall was a 3rd person Western Action-RPG in a year when the nearest "big" game like that we got was Anthem (there are smaller titles like Outward or Eternity: the last unicorn but no one really talked about them).

I really hope BigBen gives both Cyanide and Spiders good budgets, because I really like their games. But only time can tell if they will.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
Really glad to see this! We need more quality RPGs and Spiders really puts their heart into their games. Sometimes the ambition can be more than their budget can handle, but it's one of the things I like about them.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Happy to read about this, haven't played GreedFall but A Plague Tale is on my GOTY list, seriously enjoyed that.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Always great to hear of "risky" rpgs and small games succeeding. Heres hoping that this is the start of something great.