• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Poj

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I just watched the 48 minute Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay video. As in many other RPGs, you're given the choice of making your character male or female.

Now, a lot of my male friends and a lot of the males here on this forum seem to choose a female character if there is a choice.

My question for female gamers here: Do you tend to pick the male option? If so, why?

Me personally, I pick the male and I style the hair and skin tone to try and make the character look like me. That way I feel like it's me in the game world and I treat it as such. I always try to play as the "good guy".

How about you?

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just depends on how good the character creator is in a game with that kind of customization, how the story plays out, and what mood I'm in.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My wife doesn't usually play games with create a characters, but I let he design mine quite a bit and she will usually try and design herself or me depending on what he choses.

Oct 28, 2017
I tend to just go with the female characters, especially if it's a character creator. I can never get the male characters to look right in the character creator!

LinLeigh

Oct 25, 2017
I have been having for decades and most of my experiences are as a male character. So when I have the opportunity to play as a woman I will never pass on it.

In fact being able to play as a woman is a huge reason for buying a game.

gcncontroller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FL
it just depends on the game, but usually i pick the cuter of the two options (and in character creators this is normally the female options). i don't base the character off myself, though, it ends up being a sort of original character i can come up with a scenario for

if they're predefined characters that i choose between, however, i normally choose the male one. i remember playing video games before there were female "options" so it just feels a little more natural, i guess, since the male choice often still feels like the default

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I usually choose to play a male character.

When I started playing games as a kid, there was usually no option to play a female character.

Because of that, it doesn't make a difference for immersion what character I play. And like many men choosing to play as a female character for looks, another reason is that I rather look at a male than a female character.
For multiplayer, choosing a male character also saves me annoying "go to the kitchen" comments, so that's another bonus.

MMOs used to be the exception but lately even there I main a male character.

Only if the game has a romance option, then I choose the female character. Otherwise 9 out of 10 times I choose male.

Last edited:

Freckled Milk

Mar 23, 2018
I always create a female character with pale skin and dark hair, so that she has some resemblance to me. My sister usually picks male characters, though, so it really depends on the person.

Vitor

Oct 30, 2017
My wife always picks the female character if possible. She says in most games she's already forced to play as a dude, so she won't waste any opportunities to do otherwise.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
If there's a female option then I make her look like me if possible.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Playing as a male is pretty much the default in every game so theres no novelty in it for me, so when given the option I always pick female.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
I like to go with female options unless its spectacularly sexualised, or the female option is just dumb-looking (Lyra in Pokemon HGSS).

neferteetee

Oct 28, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I will make a black female character if possible. Not many games have protagonists that look like me so I get it where I can.
I've been playing as white males since 1989 and I'm kinda over it

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I think many male players pick the female options in games wherever possible, because games that do not have selectable player character gender, you're likely to play as a dude.

I'd think women would follow the very same logic and have the added benefit of the immersion you yourself seek.

I don't think there's all that many women who go out of their way to pick male heroes when the player character's gender is selectable.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I always choose the female character option when given the choice. Just far easier to relate then playing a male character. Plus many games make characters aren't exactly eye candy to me and more what I'd imagine guy players would like themselves to be/look like.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Often always female. I'll dabble with a male characters, but since females are still leading games less, it feels good to go for the option when it's there.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Me personally, I pick the male and I style the hair and skin tone to try and make the character look like me. That way I feel like it's me in the game world and I treat it as such. I always try to play as the "good guy".

How about you?

Sorry to chime in since I'm not a lady, but this is the exact opposite of what I do. I play games to escape my real life. I'm me all the time. A robust character creator is a chance to be someone else. I always make a character that's as far from the real me as possible. So a female non human if that's an option, is best.

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
I'm male, but I always go with the default look in every character creator because I'm there to play a video game not play dress up.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I let my girlfriend design the character I play as if there is a character creator

Playing DA:I at the moment and she designed me a male rogue, though I think she tried to make the character look like me as much as possible

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Often always female. I'll dabble with a male characters, but since females are still leading games less, it feels good to go for the option when it's there.
Pretty much my experience.

Now that I've been playing games with more set female protagonists or with options, I wonder if it will eventually change.

bahorel

Oct 25, 2017
I go with a mix but if I can be gay then I will be male. (Skyrim, etc) If there's no romance option I'll go with the most attractive looking based on hairstyle. I did girl for Far Cry 5 because it's first person so it felt more natural to represent me.

In fallout 4 I did a file for both a guy and a girl.

I can't decide whether I want to be male or female Morgan for when I play Prey.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always pick a female character because the number of games where you can play as one is low enough already.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Always female because I am female and there still aren't nearly as many games where you can play a female MC.

I used to not style characters like myself but recently I've been trying to and it works alright even if black options tend to be lacking

In fact being able to play as a woman is a huge reason for buying a game.

This so much

Auron.90

Dec 3, 2017
I usually pick the male option for a character that uses brute strenght (warrior, tank etc.) and a female one for a smarter and more charismatic approach to the game (mage or long distance fighter). In games such as pokemon I choose the female option for the second run.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I go with a mix but if I can be gay then I will be male. (Skyrim, etc) If there's no romance option I'll go with the most attractive looking based on hairstyle. I did girl for Far Cry 5 because it's first person so it felt more natural to represent me.

In fallout 4 I did a file for both a guy and a girl.

I can't decide whether I want to be male or female Morgan for when I play Prey.

Hold up, if you can be gay then you pick male, but you yourself aren't a gay male? That's like me picking a girl but only if I can get off with other girls.

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on my mood, but I think I always choose female. The male models just look too bulky/hulked out? But if there's a choice to make a hefty lady I do that lol.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
When given the choice, I always create a black female character. It's about the only time I get to play as one.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I will make a black female character if possible. Not many games have protagonists that look like me so I get it where I can.
Same. If there is a female character option where I can have dark skin, I will take advantage of it. You rarely get to play as PoC in games and WoC are especially nearly non-existent. Game designers could do better with black hair options though.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer to play as women in games if I'm going to be roleplaying. With that said, based on the Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay footage, there was a lot of ogling the player character, with camera focusing on her thighs or butt, which came off as very strange to me. If they're going to manipulate the camera to look at the player character like that, maybe I'll play as a guy.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
I usually tend to pick female characters because like many have said it's slim pickings for actual fem MCs already so it's nice to have the choice.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wife will pick female characters and make them look like her. She plays Fortnite a lot and almost exclusively plays as women.

Never understood why dudes play as women in games. To me that's weird.
Have you played Tomb Raider or something else with a female lead character? Or is it just choosing the opposite gender over the one you are that's weird to you?

bahorel

Oct 25, 2017
Hold up, if you can be gay then you pick male, but you yourself aren't a gay male? That's like me picking a girl but only if I can get off with other girls.

There's several layers of gender politics about why women feel safer identifying with a gay male character rather than a woman designed for men, but to simplify there's nothing wrong with that. I'm not getting off to it.

(Sorry not saying Skyrim is a male gaze game but just in general about why)

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I always play as a female given the option, and generally as elderly as I can make them. Grandmas kicking arse makes me smile.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game. For mmos and games with dating options I'm more likely to select a female avatar. It's a toss up for most other types of games, but I think either way I do choose/make female characters more often overall.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
If it's a single player with a more linear narrative I am often tempted to make myself, so female.
If it's something more creative roleplay-ish and non-linear or community driven (like tabletop DnD, MMOs, Diablo-likes, etc) I feel more inclined to make an original character, in which case there's even chances of my picking male, female or nonbinary characters. I've got a biiiiiiig sweet spot for RPing big intimidating paladin type lads or barbarian women :#)

Planning on getting MHGU soon and my (male) partner really likes playing female chars, so I'm gonna make a male hunter in that so we get to see more armour sets between us. Actually we did the same in borderlands tps and saint's row 4.
I don't feel like I have to, we often play as 2 women and get just as flirty with eachother, but yeah, drawn to the variety.