• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you be interested in a new Fable?

• Heck yeah.

Votes: 184 61.7%
  • Not really... there's no point because Witcher 3 has dethroned it before it even had a chance

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • I'd be interested in it for sure.

Votes: 63 21.1%
  • Nah....

Votes: 37 12.4%
  • .... Mediking clearly didn't even know that a new Fable was coming... hold this L

Votes: 29 9.7%

• Total voters

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
My top 3 favorite games of all time goes like this:

1: Persona 3 FES

2: Pokemon Platinum

3: Fable 2: The Lost Chapters

Didja catch number 3? I said FABLE 2: THE LOST CHAPTERS.

I have very fond memories of Fable 2: The Lost Chapters. When I was a kid, one of my friends gave me a copy of his. He was like, "This game is frigging amazing and you gotta play it!" And guess what? He was right. Totally right.

Fable 2: The Lost Chapters had it all. Dialogue choices, customization, fun abilities, exploring, awesome combat, and more. You can build your character into anything. There was sex. You could buy a house and decorate it. Marriage. There was a morality system. TONS OF LORE. I can go on and on but it was really ahead of its time. I really do have a soft spot for the game. I was so mesmerized and immersed in the game.

Currently, I've been a Sony and Nintendo guy. My PS4 and Switch keeps me happy. Xbox hasn't really gave me any big reason to jump in their ecosystem BUT if Microsoft reveals an ambitious yet still grounded Fable game… I would buy an Xbox instantly. I'm not even freaking joking. Just do it, Microsoft. Please.

I bet some of you is thinking… "But… Witcher 3 has set the bar so damn high that whoever makes Fable will have to do so much to be considered good". I freaking love Witcher 3 but Fable can still find its own identity by making sure its playable character can be designed and created in a distinct and unique way. If I remember right, Fable 2 starts you off as a kid whose hometown got pillaged or something. I'm sure Microsoft can find a way to make a new Fable start off awesome.

I'm not the only one who wants a new Fable, right? I'd be down for a new one. I consider it to be a killer app. A must buy.

What about you all? Whatcha wanna see in a new Fable? Which developer can pull it off? Do you consider it a killer app?

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Could we possibly get more general poll options?. I don't really agree with the sentiment that Witcher 3 dethroned it but it still wouldn't sell any xbox's.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
egm4izxqswk11.jpg

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I am not interested, but I also think Witcher 3 was kinda ass, don't know what to do with this poll now. I tried the first Fable on PC, kinda bored me.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't it just Fable - The Lost Chapters?
Fable 2 got dlc, but never really got a full expansion like the first game got

But yes, I would LOVE a new good Fable game. Fable 1 was fun and the Lost Chapters expansion was quite good, and Fable 2 was actually my favorite (great funny sidequests, great use of the "dark fairytale" story and aesthetic the series has, and it looked and played really great).
Fable 3 just ended up feeling like a worse Fable 2 in pretty much every way to me. Combat didn't feel as good, buying up houses to get rent was done worse, the generic "ancient evil" returning to attack your kingdom was dumb, the kingdom ruling decisions were laughable, etc.

At first I didn't like Fable 2 because of it's kinda simplified combat (one button for sword, one for magic, one for guns), but the second time I tried the game out I found the system to have a fair amount of depth to it (timing sword swings and gun button presses to do better combos or faster shots/reloads). The amount of quality sidequests in the game was also very impressive, and the DLC was pretty good too.

Last edited:

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think there's still a huge unfilled niche of fantasy games that don't treat themselves like the secondcoming of GoT or LotR. Just a technically excellent Fantasy RPG with fun characters, rich satire, and lush visuals.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't go after the industrial revolution, that'd kill my interest in the game. Keep it 100 percent fantasy focused with castles and shit.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Definitely. It wouldn't make me buy an X1 but I'd play it on PC. And while Witcher 3 is my GOAT, I don't expect a new Fable game to compete with that and it really doesn't have to. Fable is its very own thing with its own charm.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
My top 3 favorite games of all time goes like this:

1: Persona 3 FES

2: Pokemon Platinum

3: Fable 2: The Lost Chapters

Didja catch number 3? I said FABLE 2: THE LOST CHAPTERS.

I have very fond memories of Fable 2: The Lost Chapters. When I was a kid, one of my friends gave me a copy of his. He was like, "This game is frigging amazing and you gotta play it!" And guess what? He was right. Totally right.

Fable 2: The Lost Chapters had it all. Dialogue choices, customization, fun abilities, exploring, awesome combat, and more. You can build your character into anything. There was sex. You could buy a house and decorate it. Marriage. There was a morality system. TONS OF LORE. I can go on and on but it was really ahead of its time. I really do have a soft spot for the game. I was so mesmerized and immersed in the game.

Currently, I've been a Sony and Nintendo guy. My PS4 and Switch keeps me happy. Xbox hasn't really gave me any big reason to jump in their ecosystem BUT if Microsoft reveals an ambitious yet still grounded Fable game… I would buy an Xbox instantly. I'm not even freaking joking. Just do it, Microsoft. Please.

I bet some of you is thinking… "But… Witcher 3 has set the bar so damn high that whoever makes Fable will have to do so much to be considered good". I freaking love Witcher 3 but Fable can still find its own identity by making sure its playable character can be designed and created in a distinct and unique way. If I remember right, Fable 2 starts you off as a kid whose hometown got pillaged or something. I'm sure Microsoft can find a way to make a new Fable start off awesome.

I'm not the only one who wants a new Fable, right? I'd be down for a new one. I consider it to be a killer app. A must buy.

What about you all? Whatcha wanna see in a new Fable? Which developer can pull it off? Do you consider it a killer app?
You're such a big fan, that you can't even get the name of your favorite game right lol.

There is Fable: The Lost Chapters or Fable II.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Fable may be my alltime favorite WRPG series. The charm, setting, and focus on the player character as a thing both influenced by you and the world they occupy is all extremely my shit, and stuff like The Witcher doesn't come close despite being tehnically more accomplished.

Fable nails the playing a role part of role playing games and I can't wait for more. Everyone seems to agree that Playground's next game is probably Fable, and that gets me hyped.

OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

Could we possibly get more general poll options?. I don't really agree with the sentiment that Witcher 3 dethroned it but it still wouldn't sell any xbox's.

Lol just fixed it. My bad.
I mean..

They are doing it........
Well, you'll get your wish, it's just going to be a while.
Playground is already at work on a new Fable.

I seriously had no idea a new Fable was coming!!! This is great news!!!! When was it revealed??? Where's the speculation thread?

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
You're such a big fan, that you can't even get the name of your favorite game right lol.

There is Fable: The Lost Chapters or Fable II.
I took it as saying they liked the first two equally, or went to write one and then decided that TLC is better.

I seriously had no idea a new Fable was coming!!! This is great news!!!! When was it revealed??? Where's the speculation thread?

It's just a badly kept secret, all but confirmed.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
You'll get your wish in a few years OP once Playground finishes it. I do hope it retains the semi-serious but strongly tongue in cheek Python-esque mood of the originals. Fable 2 is a personal favorite, loved the evil missions in that game. Good balance with the sim aspects not being overly micro-managey too. We definitely need more fantasy games in that style, it's a series that's certainly been missed.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, i'm hung up on one thing, is it fable the lost chapters aka the xbox game or fable 2 the 360 game?

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fable 2 was amazing for its time. I mean really there was nothing like it in terms of graphics, scale, storytelling and gameplay. Or at least it did a splendid job appearing as a much grander game than it actually was.

Skipped 3 completely though..

Legends looked interesting. Too bad it was canned

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Playground's second studio has been working on it since late last year. So you'll get a new Fable soon, whether it will be good remains to be seen.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I'd assume it would be coming to PC too, so I'd get it on that.

Also there's no such thing as Fable 2: The Lost Chapters.

OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly even more than a new Fable game, i really want Fable 2 to come to PC.

It really sucks having 1, a remake of 1, and 3, but no 2 (which is my favorite by far).

I guess if this new Fable game does well maybe they'll do a Fable 2 Remake and then I'll finally have a complete set on PC.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
You'll get your wish in a few years OP once Playground finishes it. I do hope it retains the semi-serious but strongly tongue in cheek Python-esque mood of the originals. Fable 2 is a personal favorite, loved the evil missions in that game. Good balance with the sim aspects not being overly micro-managey too. We definitely need more fantasy games in that style, it's a series that's certainly been missed.
Im worried PG will ignore the sims aspect in a reboot or it won't be a hybrid AA/RPG/Sims like the original but your by the numbers open world RPG. I'd love to see more depth in the sim aspect, extending to enemies and wild life.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I want them to expand on the early ideas for Fable 1 where we plant things and watch them grow through time. Expand on the eat too much and get fat, getting scars etc. So much potential, especially with Game Pass.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's honestly a decent chance that the next Xbox launches with a new Fable and Halo: Infinite. And PS5 could very well launch with Horizon 2. Next gen is going to be crazy

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I love the Fable series. Three wasn't so bad, it was actually pretty fable till they made you king/queen and then it felt like they ran into an budget issue. If there's one thing I hope doesn't return, it's the glowing marks you get from using magic, just horrible.

Dutch Masters

Jun 7, 2018
I hope they go back to the medieval fantasy setting of Fable 1. I really disliked the industrial fantasy setting of 2 and 3 and it was jarring to see guns being used everywhere.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still pissed Fable 2 never came to PC

But maybe Microsoft will OK the port since Sunset Overdrive finally came out
Fable II is the best one, no PC release, BC version has a bad framerate and wasn't updated since they've improved the emulation so no 4K either. It's really frustrating they're not managing that properly if they plan to revive the series.

Utterly mediocre RPG series that deserved to die.
"I don't like a thing so I want other people to miss out on something they enjoy!" Fuck off with that sentiment.

I hope they go back to the medieval fantasy setting of Fable 1. I really disliked the industrial fantasy setting of 2 and 3 and it was jarring to see guns being used everywhere.

I liked those settings, I liked seeing Bowerstone grow throughout the series, but I think they did the time jumps too quickly within the series. Also medieval is a dime a dozen for the genre while the others were a bit more unique. I'd like to see them start out medieval, advance the timeline more slowly and if they get to Victorian/Industrial to do those settymore justice in regards to RPG elements.

Oct 30, 2017
I loved Fable 1 and 2 despite their flaws. 3 was a piece of shit but the atmosphere and world were still charming as fuck. Sadly I just don't see a good Fable game coming....MS has only been interested in shitty Kinect Fable games and that weird Fable legends thing that got cancelled.

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
If it came to PC, that would be great. 2 was the only one that didn't come to PC and I wish it did :(
A traditional Fable made by competent devs that isn't run by Molyneux sounds like a perfect combination. I also hope it goes back to when Heroes were around because I think it makes a perfect backdrop. I have no idea why Molyneux chose to kill off all the heroes for 2 and 3.

Oct 27, 2017
It could make me buy a cheap Xbox One again for sure. But sadly it seems a new fable is probably 2021 or later if it just started at Playground like rumored

If it's next gen only I'd have to see what else Xbox puts out in terms of exclusives. I'm going to have a PS5 for Sony games and switch for Nintendo and i barely have time in my life for Switch/PS4 today. To justify buying an Xbox again I'd need a steady stream of 3-4 exclusives I'm interested in yearly for at least 2-3 years imo

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Fable 1 and 2 despite their flaws. 3 was a piece of shit but the atmosphere and world were still charming as fuck. Sadly I just don't see a good Fable game coming....MS has only been interested in shitty Kinect Fable games and that weird Fable legends thing that got cancelled.
Fable Legends was beautiful and had fun combat, I don't think they could have maintained a content pipeline to keep people interested, but it's a shame it got cancelled it was unique and remains so. They definitely mismanaged the franchise as there should have been more mainline games around that.

Jun 22, 2018
You seriously think those are the types of Fable games Playground would make?