Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
All I hear from teacher friends is what an utter nightmare phones have become in the classroom in the last few years, and how trying to discipline kids around phone use now frequently leads to physical assault.

Totally support any effort to ban or restrict their use in schools.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
The public school district I work at just released the new policy next year for banning cell phones (except for lunch time). I am excited to see how it goes and if the staff have the follow through to enforce it rigorously, yet a bit nervous on parent reaction.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
At my niece's school, all the kids have a lockable pouch they have to carry around. They have to show the teacher its locked at the start of the school day. They can unlock it at lunchtime, then lock again until hometime.

HSCBEKO34KFHNXN725SQV6RWEU.jpg

That big disc thing is the magnetic unlocker. It seems to work, because my niece hates it!

It is possible to force it open (I did it just to see) but it requires a fair bit of strength and feels like it might break. If the kids break them they have to pay for a replacement.
kids will google how to defeat these and find a 30 second tutorial that requires one rare earth magnet.

The solution to this problem isn't trivial. I was in high school before smartphones existed and even in their absence kids are constantly distrating themselves from an active lesson. We had graphing calculators for our advanced math classes and someone figured out how to install poker games and tetris and columns on them. We passed notes around. If kids don't wanna pay attention in school they simply don't want to. Smartphones amplify the problem by being one device that plays music, videos, games, AND passes notes between students in extremely discreet ways.

Every 'better' solution imposes a greater financial burden to enforce. The only imaginable effective solution is to have parents cooperate on their child's device usage but good luck reaching a critical mass of compliance there.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
they wouldn't even let us play with a gameboy before school, during recess, on the bus, etc.
kids don't need a fucking phone during school

Ash_Greytree

Oct 31, 2023
Every 'better' solution imposes a greater financial burden to enforce. The only imaginable effective solution is to have parents cooperate on their child's device usage but good luck reaching a critical mass of compliance there.

I do think that the pouches I linked farther up the thread where everyone puts their phones in there during class, and then they get it back after class, is a good solution. It doesn't break the bank for schools like the Yondr pouches probably do, either.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Got to put a stop to this for the kids' sake. This clearly isn't healthy for them. It'll be better for everyone.

May 9, 2022
Florida
You have to ban it, I'm sorry that is the only solution. The problem is you actively have parents and administration working against you.

You aren't the first person who has dropped this, "No one will ever learn if they are not interested or engaged." So I don't mean this as an attack on you, but the idea itself. You will never out engage an algorithm that is designed with brain rot and constant stimulation/engagement. I'm not a circus monkey trying to design a lesson that is constantly engaging you and entertaining you; that is social media.

We incorporate technology through their 1:1 devices which the vast majority of schools have now, smart devices need to be banned at the school doors.

I definitely understand what you are saying here. And I don't disagree! The algorithms are problematic for everyone and teachers are fighting an impossible battle.

I think I've probably done a poor job of explaining my position here, something -does- need to be done about social media. And I don't blame schools, who are underfunded and lack any real power, for trying to ban smart phones to combat this. I just do not think -long term-, banning devices is a reasonable solution. It's something society needs to address. We are in an ever-connected world where our connections and devices are growing ever more important in every field, and our expectation of connection to our family/friends/etc has grown exponentially and that's not going to go away.

The push-back against bans is only going to grow. Schools are in a losing position and again, I am not blaming schools and/or teachers for wanting to do the only thing they feel they can. I do not have an answer for how teachers -should- combat The Algorithm; if anyone did we probably wouldn't be in this position!

Oct 25, 2017
they wouldn't even let us play with a gameboy before school, during recess, on the bus, etc.
kids don't need a fucking phone during school
Yep, that is exactly the thing. We weren't allowed to have it and it seemed like kids/parents understood that idea. However, things have changed this all starts at home…parents need to actually parent their children into understanding that those things aren't acceptable at school.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I do think that the pouches I linked farther up the thread where everyone puts their phones in there during class, and then they get it back after class, is a good solution. It doesn't break the bank for schools like the Yondr pouches probably do, either.
It's not going to do the job because the problem is harder than "kids have phones in school". Besides, they'll just have a smartwatch or something that will let them use it anyway or their parents will give them an iPad with all the same features.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why don't they just get students to check their phones into a lockbox or locker at the start of the lesson and give it back at the end?

They do this during exams already and it works flawlessly.

I imagine the answer is some parents would be against it and say they need to be able to contact their kid at all times in case of an emergency, but if it's on a per lesson basis rather than being gone all day that's nonsense and wouldn't actually increase safety at all. It wouldn't be hard to make them get with the programme if it isn't optional.

We never had this problem. If there was an emergency the parents would call the school and the school would send someone to inform the child. Why do parents feel the need to access their kids 24/7?

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely understand what you are saying here. And I don't disagree! The algorithms are problematic for everyone and teachers are fighting an impossible battle.

I think I've probably done a poor job of explaining my position here, something -does- need to be done about social media. And I don't blame schools, who are underfunded and lack any real power, for trying to ban smart phones to combat this. I just do not think -long term-, banning devices is a reasonable solution. It's something society needs to address. We are in an ever-connected world where our connections and devices are growing ever more important in every field, and our expectation of connection to our family/friends/etc has grown exponentially and that's not going to go away.

The push-back against bans is only going to grow. Schools are in a losing position and again, I am not blaming schools and/or teachers for wanting to do the only thing they feel they can. I do not have an answer for how teachers -should- combat The Algorithm; if anyone did we probably wouldn't be in this position!

You keep saying devices but this is specifically phones. It's not like it's "ban all technology in schools".

If kids are required to use school issued devices there is a lot more control in what can and can't be used on them.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Ok. And when we no longer need phones and kids go to school with smart watches as their means of communication? Schools banning these items just doesn't seem like a long term solution to me and we should be looking towards answers that work with technology, not against it.

Honestly 'working with technology' isn't as big a problem. One could even argue it led to the point we are now. Online textbooks and lessons, note taking and assignments, progress reports and supplementary material: all of it is very much online and very much integrated with the idea you have a device or devices with you. It's become part of the justification for them having their phones with them to begin with. As someone with two kids in school, it's a whirlwind to keep up with.

And of course all of it means jack when the kids ignore it for Tik Tok and YouTube and texting with their friends about the usual high school bullshit.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
So you want teachers to get assaulted, cause that is how you get assaulted.

I mean if we are at a point (and I think we are) where a teacher just has no control over the classroom for fear of getting assaulted, we've already lost.

Say every kid in class brought basketball with them and were constantly dribbling, is the teacher not allowed to take the basketballs away? I realize a phone is a lot more expensive and there are other liability things (what if the phone gets stolen while in the teacher's possession or someone takes one during pickup) but I would think the bare minimum is to give authority to the teacher to remove distractions from the classroom.

Note that there may be special cases where a kid needs to have a phone and I don't blame the teachers for not wanting to enforce rules when usually the administration won't support them in it anyway.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
It's a parent issue, 100%.

Everyone thinks their below-average reader, socially immature, b-tier football benchwarmer and disrespectful asshole is special and deserves whatever they want.

Cellphones should not be in the classroom. Period. Between class? Maybe. During lunch? Sure, I guess. If the teacher gives a free day or homework day? Debatable. But if there is a lesson to be learned, a cellphone should not be out… and if it is, it should be immediately confiscated and held until the end of the day. No ifs, ands, or buts.

But of course, parents will make just as big a stink as the kids.

"We had GameBoys or CD players or cellphones when we were in school!" The world has changed and social media's algorithms weren't spending tens of billions of dollars to feed you 20 second dopamine hits over and over and over and over again. I don't blame a kid for thinking that's better than paying attention to class. I blame the fact that parents and schools allow it.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if we are at a point (and I think we are) where a teacher just has no control over the classroom for fear of getting assaulted, we've already lost.

Say every kid in class brought basketball with them and were constantly dribbling, is the teacher not allowed to take the basketballs away? I realize a phone is a lot more expensive and there are other liability things (what if the phone gets stolen while in the teacher's possession or someone takes one during pickup) but I would think the bare minimum is to give authority to the teacher to remove distractions from the classroom.
There is a fundamental difference is what I'm telling you; they treat this device as an extension of their identity. I have authority in my classroom, enforcing everything else is easy, this though is a problem. I have had students get in my face over it, they don't do this with anything else.

Jun 5, 2018
So, I grew up in the early 2000's as far as secondary schools are concerned, the rules were simple, bring it out during class you'd lose it, unless you told them you were expecting an important call in advance or something, which case you might be alright.

Heck, we couldn't even have cards on us technically, got mine taken when I was 17.

And as far as phones go at least, fair enough tbh, I'm not a big fan of what modern social media does to people anyway, so I'm biased, but in a school setting it does make sense that phones should be off/silent during class, outside of emergencies, they don't bring anything of value to studying, maybe if there was a school mode that could be activated, allowing calls from parents exactly, and making certain apps unavailable during those times, it could help?

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017

In a lot of schools we've already lost. A lot of teachers have basically no authority anymore. You can't discipline kids with consequences and you can't threaten kids with risk of failure due to underperformance. Partially its due to parents getting too precious about their kids, but a lot of it is also that ever since No Child Left Behind the relentless drive from every level of education management, from the federal government down to the local district, has been to "improve metrics" without investing any real funding or research into actual education (plenty of money for Chromebooks however). The end result is that the incentives for every principal and superintendent become not allowing kids to risk failing classes and not allowing teachers to record disciplinary incidents because that's how you make the numbers look better.

And to be clear, I don't think we should be failing kids en masse or even punishing kids en masse. I don't think you actually need to do a lot of those things. They just have to be credible. A kid who's underperforming but fears failing can still buckle down and figure out how to get a C-, a kid who doesn't has literally no reason to try. Same with teacher's controlling the classroom: they don't actually need to punish a ton of kids, the students just need to know that its actually possible to get in trouble.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
There is a fundamental difference is what I'm telling you; they treat this device as an extension of their identity. I have authority in my classroom, enforcing everything else is easy, this though is a problem. I have had students get in my face over it, they don't do this with anything else.

And I would think it would be in everyone's best interest, but especially the kids, if someone (ie: parents), would prevent this from happening and/or intervene and wean them off of their phones, because what is the natural conclusion if they are raised like this until graduation? Who's going to hire them? Shoot, who's going to even sit through an interview with them if they can't stay off their phone for any length of time?

Oct 27, 2017
Why don't they just get students to check their phones into a lockbox or locker at the start of the lesson and give it back at the end?

They do this during exams already and it works flawlessly.

I imagine the answer is some parents would be against it and say they need to be able to contact their kid at all times in case of an emergency, but if it's on a per lesson basis rather than being gone all day that's nonsense and wouldn't actually increase safety at all. It wouldn't be hard to make them get with the programme if it isn't optional.

Public schools (and probably some private ones too!) are a zoo. How would this be practically enforced?

Unfortunately the solution here can only come from parents.

If public education had more money and talent maybe someone could develop a solution that leverages device management (ie, MDM) to gate access to digital resources students want/need. This mostly works in enterprise: Want access to corporate email so you can do your job? You need to let IT manage your device, including blocking certain apps. Seems entirely possible (if not practical) that schools could adopt something similar, and restrict the use of certain apps during school hours.

(I'm not saying there aren't talented, bright public school teachers. I know many; friends, family, and my own past teachers.)

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
And I would think it would be in everyone's best interest, but especially the kids, if someone (ie: parents), would prevent this from happening and/or intervene and wean them off of their phones, because what is the natural conclusion if they are raised like this until graduation? Who's going to hire them? Shoot, who's going to even sit through an interview with them if they can't stay off their phone for any length of time?
I mean, you are correct, but attempts to intervene on this are inconsistent at best. I think we had an article the other month about a school that did it successfully, but it can't be just a school-by-school thing. There has to be a coordinated effort to figure out an actual strategy around this and people in power don't even seem to have it on their radar. I really do think a lot of this is downstream of No Child Left Behind in the sense that the move towards obsession with the metrics has caused actual obfuscation of real problems in education. Education in the US has become incredibly technocratic and its papering over these gaping social problems underneath.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely addiction and whatnot, but it's also the parents in a lot of cases as well.

I can't tell you how many times I've had students text in class while subbing or student teaching and it ended up being their mother. I even had one student like "She won't leave me alone" and even show me the texts.

I don't have any issue with a parent wanting a phone on their kid in case of an emergency, that I think it perfectly valid. But keep the phone in your pocket and on silent during class.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Quebec just banned them in classrooms and is looking at banning them in schools entirely.
I could never understand why it would have ever been allowed in the first place, there was clearly no benefit.
Right? It's mind-boggling, a ban is obvious.

Imagine living in a world where we allow phones in classes for protection in case of a shooting instead of banning guns.
lol, for real... as if a phone would help or protect you during such an event anyway 🙄

The whole "emergency contact" reasoning is obvious too. As if there was no way for parents to reach their kid in school before cell phones existed. Oh, how did we ever function, I wonder.... /s

I just don't understand this problem. Same as the other thread a month or two ago.

Phones have no place in the classroom.
You can't or don't want to enforce it ? Fine. Do as we did 20 years ago : everybody KNEW we had our phones in our pocket / bags but that's okay. Just don't take it out in class FFS.

If the teacher sees a phone, he can take it. No more phone for you until the end of the class.

How hard is that ?

Don't bother with lock pouch, phone searches or all these insane shit.
This.

It's because the phones are their shit. Rules of the school are one thing but if a teacher or someone tries to take their belongings away they tend to just fly off the handle now
??? Schools confiscated kids' properties all the time in the past, from walkmen to headphones to Gameboys to whatever. Phones are no different.

So you want teachers to get assaulted, cause that is how you get assaulted.
Big "so you hate waffles" energy here

"We had GameBoys or CD players or cellphones when we were in school!" The world has changed
Not even, really. I don't know where or when you grew up but my generation sure as shit didn't have those things lol. Someone bringing a walkman or a Gameboy in class would have it confiscated immediately.

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely addiction and whatnot, but it's also the parents in a lot of cases as well.

I can't tell you how many times I've had students text in class while subbing or student teaching and it ended up being their mother. I even had one student like "She won't leave me alone" and even show me the texts.

I don't have any issue with a parent wanting a phone on their kid in case of an emergency, that I think it perfectly valid. But keep the phone in your pocket and on silent during class.
The whole keep it silent and in your bag just doesn't work. They cannot handle that temptation, they get the notification it must be checked and responded to.

In case of an emergency call/email the school and/or teacher.

Morrigan I think they should be banned at a school level, not a classroom level. Putting that shit on the backs of teachers is bullshit.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Right? It's mind-boggling, a ban is obvious.

lol, for real... as if a phone would help or protect you during such an event anyway 🙄

The whole "emergency contact" reasoning is obvious too. As if there was no way for parents to reach their kid in school before cell phones existed. Oh, how did we ever function, I wonder.... /s

This.

??? Schools confiscated kids' properties all the time in the past, from walkmen to headphones to Gameboys to whatever. Phones are no different.

Big "so you hate waffles" energy here

Not even, really. I don't know where or when you grew up but my generation sure as shit didn't have those things lol. Someone bringing a walkman or a Gameboy in class would have it confiscated immediately.
The problem with "just take them away" is the kids will literally fight you over it and parents/admin will take their side. Shit has changed in weird and bad ways.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
The whole keep it silent and in your bag just doesn't work. They cannot handle that temptation, they get the notification it must be checked and responded to.

In case of an emergency call/email the school and/or teacher.

A few teachers I remember were talking about a work phone for just teachers for emergencies but big risk/fear was parent harassment. I mean you get harassment from emails and phone calls but that would just be another avenue of that.

But I agree though, emergencies can be done through the front desk and then to teacher from there.

Jul 18, 2018
School devices don't allow you to install most things and tons of stuff is blocked on school WiFi.

If those devices are setup correctly, only school and education items will be filtered through.
Tablets at wife's HS has microsoft and google apps and students messaging one another via their portal. I think YT might be blocked to an extent (might be embed videos work only), but she says the browser is active, so they can browse through reading stuff in class

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I mean, you are correct, but attempts to intervene on this are inconsistent at best. I think we had an article the other month about a school that did it successfully, but it can't be just a school-by-school thing. There has to be a coordinated effort to figure out an actual strategy around this and people in power don't even seem to have it on their radar. I really do think a lot of this is downstream of No Child Left Behind in the sense that the move towards obsession with the metrics has caused actual obfuscation of real problems in education. Education in the US has become incredibly technocratic and its papering over these gaping social problems underneath.

To me, the weird thing is... the metrics seem terrible? Are they moving the goalposts so that the metrics seem ok (like hey, lots of students are graduating because we lowered the standards)? Otherwise I don't see how anyone looking at the metrics can go "yeah this is exactly where we want to be."

Like what the heck are all the administrators and the seemingly dozens of vice principals doing if not addressing stuff like this?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
@Morrigan I think they should be banned at a school level, not a classroom level. Putting that shit on the backs of teachers is bullshit.
I mean, sure, but how would that even work? When I was a kid, devices were banned "at a school level" in that it was the school who made the rule and that applied to all classes, but at the end of the day it was enforced by teachers if they caught a kid with said device in the class. How else would you enforce that? You can't search every backpack upon school entry every day lol

The problem with "just take them away" is the kids will literally fight you over it and parents/admin will take their side. Shit has changed in weird and bad ways.
Well, admins = school admins right? So the school admins need to ban the phones and put their foot down, and parents should have no say in this. "This teacher took my kid's phone!" "Yes they did sir, phones are banned per Article x.y of the school's code of conduct, those are the rules, period".

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Absolutely this and also very important. With everyone having a phone and being quick to record you, teachers will quickly end up ending their careers and destroying their reputation, by being baited into unperfect behaviour.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like telling kids to stay off their phones is similar to the "just stop eating so much" solution.

Just not going to happen without legislative help.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, sure, but how would that even work? When I was a kid, devices were banned "at a school level" in that it was the school who made the rule and that applied to all classes, but at the end of the day it was enforced by teachers if they caught a kid with said device in the class. How else would you enforce that? You can't search every backpack upon school entry every day lol

Well, admins = school admins right? So the school admins need to ban the phones and put their foot down, and parents should have no say in this. "This teacher took my kid's phone!" "Yes they did sir, phones are banned per Article x.y of the school's code of conduct, those are the rules, period".
I'm not sure what to say here other than I just wish it was this easy, it clearly isn't though.

It starts at home, you need to teach your kids what is and what isn't acceptable…that doesn't happen anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Seems like it's an issue with the admin, most things discipline related definitely fall on admin. Thankfully my wife's admin and my son's admin at his school is pretty on top of the cellphone policy

Oct 28, 2017
It clearly is more complicated than saying it. It isn't like we aren't trying to do this. We have had teachers verbally and physically assaulted over cell phones.
It needs to be district policy from a superintendent. It is absurd to leave it up to the individual teacher in a classroom. It has to be a blanket policy and if a district is leaving it up to teachers and staff, they are guilty of mismanagement or even malpractice. And they are setting their teachers up for failure.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Seems like it's an issue with the admin, most things discipline related definitely fall on admin. Thankfully my wife's admin and my son's admin at his school is pretty on top of the cellphone policy
In California lawyers have gotten involved and teachers have been arrested and fired for "theft" and "battery" for confiscating phones from students. Unions here now tell teachers to not get involved and state they are powerless with disruptive students backed by parents on in class phone usage. Too many Karen's getting front row access to the managers

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
When my kids were in school they were told to turn the phone off or it would be confiscated until the end of the day - many times I'd try to call one of them after school and it would go straight to vm as they forgot to turn it back on. That was a school wide mandate, though it was also 4 or 5 years ago.

Oct 25, 2017
It needs to be district policy from a superintendent. It is absurd to leave it up to the individual teacher in a classroom. It has to be a blanket policy and if a district is leaving it up to teachers and staff, they are guilty of mismanagement or even malpractice. And they are setting their teachers up for failure.
It is a district policy, but it is one that is left to teachers to enforce with no real ban insight. It's like saying hey this is a rule that you must enforce but the other teacher doesn't or even worse we aren't going to do anything about it when the rule is broken. I deal with both problems.

Just wish parents would not send them to school with a phone. My son will not be going to school with a phone.

Kelryin

Oct 27, 2017
On the teacher's side, I'm all for failing students who don't pay attention and do poorly on their exams. Sure, I'd still want students to get off their phone during instruction to maintain order and discipline in the classroom, but that leads me to the next point.

On the parent's side, I'd still allow access to their phone but set up downtime (on an IOS device, not sure what the Android-equivalent is) during school hours to block social media, games, etc. That way kids won't have a reason to use their phones during class.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
In California lawyers have gotten involved and teachers have been arrested and fired for "theft" and "battery" for confiscating phones from students. Unions here now tell teachers to not get involved and state they are powerless with disruptive students backed by parents on in class phone usage. Too many Karen's getting front row access to the managers

Damn that sucks! Thankfully we haven't run into that around here, I might check in with the spouse to see what the district policy is and how it's enforced

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
Another advantage of locking them up: kids don't have them between classes.

As someone who was so severely bullied at school that I've never really recovered, the thought of kids having video cameras at school makes my blood run cold.
Man, I didn't even think about the camera aspect of this - what a potential nightmare, and social media in general just seems like an awful thing if you're a victim at school already. I'm not a parent but I have to imagine a zero tolerance, don't bring it to school / lock it up on entry policy is probably the only real answer here. There's just no valid reason I can think of as to why they need them during the school day, and until we better understand the effects these things have on developing brains (all signs point to: not good, so far), having kids take a break from them during those hours can only be a good thing. Personally I don't think allowing them at lunch/breaks is even needed, just check-in at the start, and get it back at the end. Give their brains a break from the addictive garbage.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Part of the issue is you can ban phones, but if the parents still send their kids to school with an ipad or a smartwatch that ban is literally meaningless. They'll have access to all of the same apps and functionality as on their phone and parents won't see the issue at all because "I need to keep in touch with my kid." Like, no, you don't need to be texting your kid about dinner in the middle of science class.

LJ11

Oct 25, 2017
A few folks pointed out how we basically couldn't bring in a thing in my days without risking confiscation. We would share a game or wrestling magazine at the lunch table but that stuff had to be out of sight out of mind in the class room.

The public school district I work at just released the new policy next year for banning cell phones (except for lunch time). I am excited to see how it goes and if the staff have the follow through to enforce it rigorously, yet a bit nervous on parent reaction.

As a parent I would have no issue with this, but it feels to me, at least talking with a few friends that are teachers, the parents go to bat way more now than when we were kids. Tough job.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
This and future generations (and probably a few before) have been raised with an addiction to social media and phone functionality (texting/messaging friends at all times, documenting everything you do on social media) that its just ingrained in their fiber. The time to do something about this was when phones first started becoming prevalent in young people's lives, now its probably too late to meaningfully change this behavior and teachers/administrators are paying the price for it. You can say its like you not being allowed to have a GameBoy in class as a kid but to these generations (and probably their parents) you might as well be talking like an alien from another planet.

Parents are probably as big a part of the problem as well. Too many parents have such an adversarial relationship with any other authority figure in their children's lives and their children are growing up in the same way. Many parents will just straight up not believe their children's teachers when they are told their children are acting up, or not doing well in a class, or not paying attention, ect.... So of course this level of mistrust is going to extend to a school or authority trying to take their kids' phones away. I do wonder how much fear mongering through the media has to do with this. People have mentioned school shootings and I get that, but statistically your kid is more likely to get hit by a car walking to school than they are to be involved in a school shooting. Then you have all the videos and documenting of things like bullying, teacher misbehavior, fights, ect.... that constantly makes the rounds on the media no matter how rare it might actually be to your average student's school experience but suddenly parents think their children are under constant threat (they are not) and a phone is their only meaningful defense against that.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
I answered phones at my college help desk, think like dorm lockouts, broken chairs, maintenance type stuff. The number of entitled parents that would call was astonishing to me. I would not be surprised at all if parents feel like their kids should have their phone at the school.