• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
They always end up a little soggy after a typical dinner. I can't imagine taking a drink to go with the same straw and making use of it for a couple hours after. Maybe there are paper straw advancements I'm not aware of.

For your typical meal lasting of about an hour, they hold up fine. They aren't meant for using hours later. That's when you have your own resuable cup or something. But the ones I've tried suffer no degredation over the intended use period - and the intended liquid. They aren't for milkshakes or other near solids.

They'll also certainly be fine for those who need to take medication or otherwise can't sip out of a cup.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
NdWhf4J.jpg

The only straws needed. No trash leftover!

erpg

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
"whereas reusable plastic straws present hygiene concerns to people with specific health conditions."

You all need to take some time and listen to disabled people - I'm certain I would be with you thinking this is an unambiguously good thing if I hadn't happen to follow a couple vocal people on Twitter. While this costs me and I assume most people here pretty much nothing the costs that will be borne by a few vulnerable people will be big. That's not a just way for society to act.
What health conditions, exactly?

This is an important step in minimizing plastic waste, one of many. It will inconvenience some; solutions will have to be found as things develop.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
If you're only going to play whack-a-mole with plastic waste rather than do anything meaningful I'd start by banning stuff that isn't a necessity for some people to get nourishment.

Except plastic straws aren't a necessity. Paper straws exist, stainless steel straws exist.

Aang's_Bae

Apr 23, 2018
They won't be able to do that when governments get wrapped up in the symbolism and ban them like Vancouver will starting in June 2019.

If you're only going to play whack-a-mole with plastic waste rather than do anything meaningful I'd start by banning stuff that isn't a necessity for some people to get nourishment.

Nourishment? Dude, its a fast food joint, if they're eating there then they weren't looking to nourish anything.
Also you can't bend a paper straw? Why?

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
When you get governments doing this like the City of Vancouver's straw ban this is saving a single tree in a forest while the rest of the trees continue to be harmed.

Here are the downsides of the alternatives:
DdvaW8GU0AA2-aj.jpg

Last year the City of Vancouver didn't ban balloons from only public parks after clowns lobbied against it, balloons which are not required by anybody for nourishment and more harmful to animal life, but now they've decided to ban plastic straws throughout the city even though Vancouver's "staff understand plastic straws are an important accessibility tool for people with disabilities."

They can just keep plastic straws around for people who ask for them, like they do for brown bags in supermarket.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
I've now read through all the links in this thread on why restaurants should have to keep giving plastic straws to everyone so that disabled people are spared the inconvenience of bringing their own straws. My judgement: ban the straws.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought it was overkill to waste so much plastic on something that's used for a half hour at best. As posted in thread, there's some renewable paper options. It takes centuries for a plastic straw to biodegrade.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I was on a cruise with Norwegian last week and people were bitching left and right about them not having any straws on the boat.
I had never really considered why it would be a problem getting rid of them, but then I imagine drinking from the same cup as tons of other people and cringe.

Then I remember that at all restaurants you use utensils that everyone else uses so I'm like who really cares lol.

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
I HATE paper straws, I always go through no fewer than 3 when I eat at Ted's Montana Grill (who was one of the ones that reintroduced the paper straw) so I started bringing my own plastic straw. Surely the environment can take one more for the team, am I right? At least tell me thier straws are not made of recycled paper. Recycling paper is not environmentally sound.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I HATE paper straws, I always go through no fewer than 3 when I eat at Ted's Montana Grill (who was one of the ones that reintroduced the paper straw) so I started bringing my own plastic straw. Surely the environment can take one more for the team, am I right? At least tell me thier straws are not made of recycled paper. Recycling paper is not environmentally sound.

citation please

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
They have those paper straws at my job and the part you drink from completely sogs over in half an hour. It's gross, but if it helps save the environment so be it.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I have a set of titanium eating utensils in my bag that I carry around, they weigh next to nothing. Also a reusable trader joe's bag. Am I gonna have to start doing this with straws next? T__T

I don't like creating unnecessary waste either, but when you mostly go places by foot like I do, you can only carry so many things with you.

Sounds like these paper straws are inferior to use, so we'll see...

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
They have been rolling out the paper straws and people have been complaining lol

Apparently they get soggy too quickly, I hope eh and dub pushes throu and improves it before considering going back

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I totally forgot about this and when I ordered a meal I got one and yikes

I kept getting material from the straw in my drink and you don't get a good seal so you need to suck more just to get the same amount of liquid.

There has to be a better solution to what they opted to use

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Maybe I just drink my drink faster than most but honestly I never noticed a problem. the texture felt a little weird in my mouth at first but other than that it didn't make much of a difference.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm weird but I haven't used a straw since I was a kid. I take the lid off and drink from the cup. Same goes at sit down restaurants. An before anyone asks. I don't eat or drink in the car. I always waited until I got home to dig in.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
What's the deal with not trying to improve plastic straws to be more biodegradable? Would solve the environmental and accessibility issue.

I don't think telling disabled people to carry their own straw is a solution. You gotta remember to carry it, have to keep it clean and sanitary at all times. Like you can't chuck it in a bag and carry it because it's going to get debris in it and won't be usable when you need it. Reusable straws are a pain to keep clean. The bendable part you have to basically stick something in there to scrub it which is a hassle; then it doesn't dry properly either as water will get trapped in the ridges.