Status
Not open for further replies.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The replies in this thread are just perfect. From the 75 definitely not mad people calling you edgy for insulting some fabric to the Actually Very Intelligent People (who are also definitely not mad) saying America is the only country in the world that would allow you to make this thread.
Great work OP!

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
tenor.gif

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no I fully agree with you. OP is entitled to hate America and burn as many flags as he wants. That's the beauty of this country.
Oh. Sorry, had the wrong idea. I guess that's something America has over others in that you can criticize it by burning the flag and you won't get persecuted.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
The worst part about responses like this is that you already know the difference. I'm not even going to directly respond because you're smarter than this.

Dude your post was essentially "do better or eat barbecue like the rest of us". I know the difference enough to know that there is little difference between mocking a thread like this for not being "smart enough" and mocking a punk band for being too loud.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from all the political baggage that the American flag carries, I will make the super hot take that the American flag design is ugly as fuck. Flags with cantons are, in general, uncreative, and the fifty stars make it too busy.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I literally credited "the Internet from virtually anywhere" and not American freedom, but you do you.

no, you threw in a callout to the internet's ability to replicate American freedom while making the same general point about First Amendment rights everybody else does in response to criticism of the country

weird to disingenuously read your own post just because you received the smallest amount of pushback

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say that I don't care and I'm showing you how much I don't care by caring about how much you know I don't care.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the country where my father was born into apartheid, where I have experienced racial discrimination for most of my life, and which celebrates white supremacy to this very day, electing an overt racist to the highest office in the land. If you are celebrating the US of A your experiences must have been way different than mine and I guess I envy you your privilege.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
no, you threw in a callout to the internet's ability to replicate American freedom while making the same general point about First Amendment rights everybody else does in response to criticism of the country

weird to disingenuously read your own post just because you received the smallest amount of pushback

Yeah, you're right

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude your post was essentially "do better or eat barbecue like the rest of us". I know the difference enough to know that there is little difference between mocking a thread like this for not being "smart enough" and mocking a punk band for being too loud.

It was more "do something more useful or eat bbq," but yeah.

And it has nothing to do with being smart... it's literally nothing. And the responses show it, right? Either posts like mine explaining why this is edgy, or other posts basically going "fuck yeah!"

Punk bands are significantly better at expression and supporting movements compared to whatever this is. Punk is art, it's passion, it's deconstruction, it's disobedience.

This - it's not even OPs own flag. It's pictures. It's less than effortless.

Then again, this is a forum where we had a thread for buying a condom, so I'm going to withdraw my commentary and just chalk it up to being "one of those posts that isn't meant to do anything." Which is also fine tbh.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from all the political baggage that the American flag carries, I will make the super hot take that the American flag design is ugly as fuck. Flags with cantons are, in general, uncreative, and the fifty stars make it too busy.

Disagree, I find it's actually a very beautiful flag. I think most tricolor bar flags are boring. Either go with symbols or go all out.

Oct 29, 2017
Gotta give it to them tho. At least it can't be confused for another flag when turned on its side or upside down.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
It's more that it's specially useless. Talk about healthcare, talk about foreign policy, racism, make a video, literally anything.

This is just edge that happens to be within ERA's belief system.
People talk about these things all the time. What's another thread going to do? Also, radical statements or actions generate better discussion and lead to more productive "civil" discussions that just straight talking does.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Well didnt know that. It is I think forbidden nearly all countries ( I see beside USA )
Any country that punishes flag burning as an act of protest is a shitty country imo.
AFAIK it's allowed for demonstrations and such here in Austria, but even having a law that can punish the act under certain circumstances pisses me off.

Canada does it right, basically no laws that punish defacing, burning or destroying the flag.

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disagree, I find it's actually a very beautiful flag. I think most tricolor bar flags are boring. Either go with symbols or go all out.

I can't even look at the flag without the baggage anymore, tbh.

But (some) state flags are cooler

People talk about these things all the time. What's another thread going to do? Also, radical statements or actions generate better discussion and lead to more productive "civil" discussions that just straight talking does.

Idk, we could grab a mod and donate to people screwed over by the healthcare system or something.

And that's not always true, but I feel like it's taken as a blanket truth these days.

Finally, I withdrew my commentary because this is ERA and it's not really wilder than any other thread. That's on me for not picking and choosing the thread to comment in better.

I promise you that I care significantly more about responding to people than I care about anything in the OP

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
This thread is pretty funny to read through.
I don't think that's a hot take, I've always hated the design. I agree on all points. TIL what a canton was.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

imo it's the flag equivalent to this, although not quite as cool:

image.jpg

iconic, distinct, well-designed

weighed down by being an energy drink in car form

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
The flag design is fine as is but its design being used as a talking point against ever adding more states is some bullshit. WhERe aRe We GoINg tO aDD mORe STaRs

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
You have my (flaming) sword, OP.

The salt in this thread is pretty entertaining, ngl

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Idk, we could grab a mod and donate to people screwed over by the healthcare system or something.

And that's not always true, but I feel like it's taken as a blanket truth these days.

Finally, I withdrew my commentary because this is ERA and it's not really wilder than any other thread. That's on me for not picking and choosing the thread to comment in better.

I promise you that I care significantly more about responding to people than I care about anything in the OP
But that's the great thing about threads like these or any radical action. It gets people thinking and and compel actions like fundraising towards a cause they believe in. It doesn't need to come from OP themselves. But would you feel better about it if OP took a picture of themselves burning a flag? Would that be qualify as putting in more effort? Sometimes just talking about issues themselves isn't compelling enough, sometimes passion needs to trigger it like a flag burning or whatever.
Anyway, I think flag burning is essential to people's ability to understand how far they can take their criticisms and dissatisfaction regarding their county. It's a simple statement.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
honestly, the indignant responses on their own made this thread worth it lol

why would the op need to put any effort in, when they can get such strong response effortlessly? this is art

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But that's the great thing about threads like these or any radical action. It gets people thinking and and compel actions like fundraising towards a cause they believe in. It doesn't need to come from OP themselves. But would you feel better about it if OP took a picture of themselves burning a flag? Would that be qualify as putting in more effort? Sometimes just talking about issues themselves isn't compelling enough, sometimes passion needs to trigger it like a flag burning or whatever.
Anyway, I think flag burning is essential to people's ability to understand how far they can take their criticisms and dissatisfaction regarding their county. It's a simple statement.

It would be more effort, yes.

I think they could have made a short video or text accompanying their flag burning or these images. I think it becomes more powerful then (and provides more discussion), but this is kind of just preaching to the choir.

Which does need to happen every now and again, and if I'm being honest - it's what a lot of leftist conversation appears as to me. But as long as you're happy and satisfied bolstering the feelings of like-minded people, that's probably okay & not something I should be concerned about.

Status
Not open for further replies.