• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
You got a source for that?
I couldn't find anything about him being involved in the hip hop exhibition specifically, but he exists, he's a curator, and as an example for his involvement, I found a tiny article he wrote called "lowriders and hip hop culture".
No proof, but what kin wrote sounds plausible.
EDIT: Everything I can find points to him having a music focus:
https://music.si.edu/dr-kevin-strait
http://si.academia.edu/KevinStrait ("A Tone Parallel": Jazz Music, Leftist Politics, and the Counter-Minstrel Narrative, 1930-1970)
http://magazine.wesleyan.edu/2014/07/16/collecting-history-kevin-strait-97/

But nothing that references hip hop specifically, unless I missed it.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Do you really think her work is free of scrutiny?
My argument isn't actually about her. It's about the inherent context of white people, no matter their intent, coming into black spaces in a world built upon the sacrifice of black culture to white people in the name of racial dominance, and how people in this thread seem REALLY keen on ignoring all that context to effectively tell black people they have no right to be wary of white people approaching their culture at all, like we're being paranoid.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
You got a source for that?
Sure:
How The Smithsonian Is Building Its New, Sweeping Collection Of Black American Music
Smithsonian Music - Dr. Kevin Strait

So, turns out I was partially incorrect. There is no "hip hop section" in the NMAAHC. There's an exhibit that speaks generally about African American musical history, called Musical Crossroads, which appears to have been open since 2016 (when the NMAAHC was opened).

The collection being talked about is an out of context reference to the upcoming Smithsonian Anthology of Hip-Hop and Rap, which is due to be released later this year. This is a collection of music, essays, and photographs from different contributers. Ms. Burnside is one of the people putting together this anthology, but how big of a role she has is unclear.

Last edited:

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
She worked in the organization for years before in the department. There was likely no hiring process for the position. It's not that hard to understand.
You're showing your ass if you think hiring processes don't necessarily apply to internal candidates.

Don't make "factual" statements based on ignorance and speculation.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm doubtful that they exhausted all eligible black candidates and found them all lacking for the position. I blame those involved with the process of selection, certainly not the woman who got the job.

This wasnt a typical job interview.
She helped build the whole exhibit from the start. She didn't just show up one day.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
My argument isn't actually about her. It's about the inherent context of white people, no matter their intent, coming into black spaces in a world built upon the sacrifice of black culture to white people in the name of racial dominance, and how people in this thread seem REALLY keen on ignoring all that context to effectively tell black people they have no right to be wary of white people approaching their culture at all, like we're being paranoid.
Being wary, that I can totally get.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
It's only nonsense in a vacuum where white supremacy never existed.

Agreed.

However, that also implies that the museum/NMAAHC are complicit in furthering that, rather than an example of culture being embraced (and studied) by someone in a diverse society.

In an ideal world (and I realise it isn't) this should be celebrated.

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We're saying she was chosen because she had long been involved in collecting hip hop at the Smithsonian. Why spend money in recruiting efforts when there's someone right there who is ready and willing to do the job at zero risk of doing it poorly?

You're basing this off of literally nothing to justify a narrative that the organization didn't do enough outreach to hire for this position.

You don't know the hiring / vetting process, you don't know who applied, you don't know the candidate pool that they had to work with, and you don't know the quality of the interviews given.

But because the person they hired was white whatever their process was must have been inadequate. This is ridiculous.

Alej

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I might be out of loop because i'm french. There is a lot of racists here in my country, it's mostly xenophobia though. It's not pure racism in the belief of races. It's much more an ethnocentric problem where people think their culture is better than the others.

Ok, so... This thread is talking about "some people who isn't associated physically with a culture (HUGE WTF in my head, that's racist to even think about that) is taking control of a curated hiphop section in a museum" like if hiphop is inherently linked to a skin color (another huge WTF in my head), and that culture=race (mega WTF).

I am astonished by the arguments here going by either "sides". You're all pretty much racist. You are identifying a woman role in society by his physical attributes here... What the flying fuck. How is this allowed? How can a moderator jumps at this discussion by talking about how it is not a nonsense idea to discriminate white people because of white supremacy...

Racism isn't about culture, it isn't even about ethnicity, it's about categorizing/hierarchizing/ostracizing people because of fake biological groups called races. But there is not races, if you believe there is races then you are racist. If you want to fight racism then celebrate the melting pot, celebrate how we are all the same and unique at the same time.

Yes, a white woman (i wanna say: anybody) can be the biggest hiphop expert in the world. Yes, anybody can be the next James Bond. Fuck that shit.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
RepostIng this to the new page because this whole thread is based on what are basically inaccurate information.

How The Smithsonian Is Building Its New, Sweeping Collection Of Black American Music

There is no "hip hop section" in the NMAAHC. There's an exhibit that speaks generally about African American musical history, called Musical Crossroads, which appears to have been open since 2016 (when the NMAAHC was opened).

The collection being talked about is an out of context reference to the upcoming Smithsonian Anthology of Hip-Hop and Rap, which is due to be released later this year. This is a collection of music, essays, and photographs from different contributers. Ms. Burnside is one of the people putting together this anthology, but how big of a role she has is unclear. The "announcement video", if you will:

Alej

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Downplaying racism, history of severe infractions.

You're wrong. There is no black spaces. There is nothing created by humanity which doesn't belong to humanity as a whole. Fuck that. I don't understand this concept.

You are fighting the wrong war. It isn't about black people versus white people. It is about stopping being a black or a white people before being a person.

Please.

I don't consider myself white, or a redhead. I'm just french as anyone can be.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
You're basing this off of literally nothing to justify a narrative that the organization didn't do enough outreach to hire for this position.

You don't know the hiring / vetting process, you don't know who applied, you don't know the candidate pool that they had to work with, and you don't know the quality of the interviews given.

But because the person they hired was white whatever their process was must have been inadequate. This is ridiculous.

I don't need to know all that to tell you that there's no way the Smithsonian would be unable to find an equally qualified black candidate if they wanted to. It's perfectly reasonable to conclude that she was chosen because she was qualified and present.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.

However, that also implies that the museum/NMAAHC are complicit in furthering that, rather than an example of culture being embraced (and studied) by someone in a diverse society.

In an ideal world (and I realise it isn't) this should be celebrated.
Well, I mean, it's possible for black people and organizations to actually contribute to the status quo in unintended ways. Being black doesn't mean you're completely free from the cultural conditioning of living in America.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
culture=race (mega WTF).

When Americans use the term "black" in a modern context, it often really means African-American. That is the case here also. The distinction is important because it means that rather than race, we are talking about a segment of US society. Hip Hop historically is an African-American product, which is why it is being displayed in the National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC) and rightfully so.

Oct 27, 2017
Racism isn't about culture, it isn't even about ethnicity, it's about categorizing/hierarchizing/ostracizing people because of fake biological groups called races. But there is not races, if you believe there is races then you are racist.
I agree. I'm Irish and on my Island we have a kind of racism that has nothing to do with race: we call it sectarianism and the same shit I'm reading in this thread I've been hearing my whole life from both sides no skin colour difference required. We also have racism too I'm afraid; turns out these same people aren't choosy about the differences between people..

"This is my culture you must respect it!"

"My culture trumps your culture!"

"You can't speak or represent me!"

You get the idea. These people spent years killing each other over the tiniest differences in the name of cultural integrity. Makes you wonder.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
You're wrong. There is no black spaces. There is nothing created by humanity which doesn't belong to humanity as a whole. Fuck that. I don't understand this concept.

You are fighting the wrong war. It isn't about black people versus white people. It is about stopping being a black or a white people before being a person.

Please.

You're really going to go with the trite "we're all one race, the human race" argument in this thread of all places?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You have to appreciate your view is incredibly simplistic and one that's easy to take because, among numerous other things, people don't use racial slurs against you, society isn't stacked against your race and people sworn to protect aren't gunning your people down for any possible excuse. I imagine that makes it more than a little hard to pretend there's no race, and pretty insulting when someone suggests you're racist because you're keenly aware that a significant number of white people would rather see you dead or destitute than successful.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I might be out of loop because i'm french. There is a lot of racists here in my country, it's mostly xenophobia though. It's not pure racism in the belief of races. It's much more an ethnocentric problem where people think their culture is better than the others.

Ok, so... This thread is talking about "some people who isn't associated physically with a culture (HUGE WTF in my head, that's racist to even think about that) is taking control of a curated hiphop section in a museum" like if hiphop is inherently linked to a skin color (another huge WTF in my head), and that culture=race (mega WTF).

I am astonished by the arguments here going by either "sides". You're all pretty much racist. You are identifying a woman role in society by his physical attributes here... What the flying fuck. How is this allowed? How can a moderator jumps at this discussion by talking about how it is not a nonsense idea to discriminate white people because of white supremacy...

Racism isn't about culture, it isn't even about ethnicity, it's about categorizing/hierarchizing/ostracizing people because of fake biological groups called races. But there is not races, if you believe there is races then you are racist. If you want to fight racism then celebrate the melting pot, celebrate how we are all the same and unique at the same time.

Yes, a white woman (i wanna say: anybody) can be the biggest hiphop expert in the world. Yes, anybody can be the next James Bond. Fuck that shit.
I mean there's plenty of pure racism in france lets not act likes there's not, same with the UK, overall xenophobia is just another part of it. Most of the problem people have is mostly due to the fact the US is very clearly and overtly a white supremacist country complete with a police force that has a carte la blache to kill you in the streets based on your skin color and get away with it scott free amongst another million other issues including an openly racist President. People see the racial attacks they're forced on daily basis and the culture that's derided and feel a need protect themselves and it and to ensure they have representation in these fields. You can talk about how those ideas are racist but that honestly matters very little to them considering the constant and never ending barrage of racism they're forced to endure. Rap is the go to whipping boy for racists it's intrinsically linked to black people whether they personally want it to be or not and has been the source of derision for decades while also being something born from it and the black experience that has spread.

You can't simply separate the two no matter how anyone may like to and that's why you have people feel strongly that a black person should be the person curating that history. This isn't the same as James bond as there's not the same overt and enveloping attack on white people and their culture simply existing. You can argue it's still racist sure but two things aren't really equivalent.

Alej

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's nice that you think our culture belongs to white people...but no.

It belongs to everyone. Your personal story belongs to you. But story of afro-american culture belongs to everyone, it is something everyone should be proud of.

We should all be proud of your fight. It is a universal fight for being equals.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It belongs to everyone. Your personal story belongs to you. But story of afro-american culture belongs to everyone, it is something everyone should be proud of.

Except some people actually fight and live it and others cheer from the sidelines. The two positions are not equal. I do not deserve to take home the World Cup because I bought a ticket to the match and waved a flag.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
You're really going to go with the trite "we're all one race, the human race" argument in this thread of all places?
To be fair, it's a fairly common view about race in France, including from many black (and other PoC) French people.

That said, Alej needs to understand that the French view is not particularly relevant to the topic of American black culture and show some more sensitivity here. The context is very, very different.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017

The story of "afro-american" culture doesn't belong to everyone. That's ridiculous. It's African-American, by the way.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

You can be proud of black American culture without co-opting or claiming it as anything but black Americans' culture.

Thanks but no thanks.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

I am a white German, and right now I could stand Elegant Weapon telling you that you are not even black or American and have no place in this discussion. And I'd normally disagree with him, but you aren't precisely showing great understanding of the circumstances of African-Americans both historically and today.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I totally wasted my time, didn't I?

This is your friendly reminder that
1) there is no "hip hop collection" at NMAAHC, just a general music exhibit called "Musical Crossroads",
2) Ms. Burnside played a role in procurement and curation of items, but as part of a team. At least one of that team of experts, one Dr. Kevin Strait, is black. There is no evidence that supports the idea that she played an outsized or leadership role in creating the exhibit.
3) The "collection" of hip hop is a forthcoming anthology being created in part by NMAAHC. She is on the team behind this anthology. There's no evidence that suggests she is the sole individual or shotcaller behind putting together the anthology.

Alej

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You have to appreciate your view is incredibly simplistic and one that's easy to take because, among numerous other things, people don't use racial slurs against you, society isn't stacked against your race and people sworn to protect aren't gunning your people down for any possible excuse. I imagine that makes it more than a little hard to pretend there's no race, and pretty insulting when someone suggests you're racist because you're keenly aware that a significant number of white people would rather see you dead or destitute than successful.

Sorry, i understand that very well. But you shouldn't judge people by their skin color.

Fight the racial state, i'm with you. But YOU are simplistic, there isn't only you in the world, your battle is universal among mankind.

You'll laugh at me, but i experience racism more than you think. I won't compare because it's insulting, and no one want to kill me because of my skin color. But i happen to have red hair, and i've been deeply mistreated to this day in my country because of this, because of a biological thing. Mistreated like insulted by random people, ostracized, persecuted in the public space, etc. No guns but nearly beaten to death when i was a teen. And guess what, i'm not alone experiencing this, a lot of people are biological minorities and we experience those things because some people categorize/hierarchize us with our biological differences.

I am reminded i have red hair everyday. Do whatever you want with that, i don't compare myself to others, but i know.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
What you gotta understand about America is white people here have treated black people awful for centuries, while at the same time cribbing from black culture, it's like punching with one hand while the other hand is held out with an open palm. Afro-American culture isn't just the positive stuff, so much of it is colored by the environment of racism, that includes everything up to and including when white people change and co-opt it for our own ends, picking and choosing what we want to take while at the same time not affording the people it came from any respect. It's like always the same cycle and you can't fault people for wanting to break out of that and saying well goddammit, can't we just have *this*? It's not asking for a lot. And then when black people have the audacity to get involved in predominantly white areas, they suffer for it, look at Serena Williams, look at Tiger Woods. It's not fair or equal, so it doesn't do much good pretending it is and that everything belongs to everyone.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
It may be Disney-esque it is however scientifically accurate, even if it ain't gonna solve anything in here.
Basically because fundamentally we're not talking about people being different due to their skin color but the levels of racism among other things they've experienced of their skin color that affects their perspective . We're not different but we certainly are treated differently.

Last edited:

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
You'll laugh at me, but i experience racism more than you think. I won't compare because it's insulting, and no one want to kill me because of my skin color. But i happen to have red hair, and i've been deeply mistreated to this day in my country because of this, because of a biological thing. Mistreated like insulted by random people, ostracized, persecuted in the public space, etc. No guns but nearly beaten to death when i was a teen. And guess what, i'm not alone experiencing this, a lot of people are biological minorities and we experience those things because some people categorize/hierarchize us with our biological differences.
Wow.

ResoRai

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah it's been a good read even if (understandably) bit heated at times. I'm not American and not even black, so I'm complete outsider to this and mostly here to learn. My initial reaction was bit of disgust to hear that there's been so much pushback, that people either want her removed or her to leave the position on her own will. But reading the thread has given me some perspective. If the situation was that there were equally qualified and skilled applicants, black American should be favored imo. Especially considering what position this is. That wouldn't be wrong at all. But I also have faith that the person didn't get favored treatment for being white or that anyone was discriminated for being POC in this situation. I believe the black people in power who were making this call made it with good judgement. I (we) have no idea how everything exactly went down, but I firmly believe it was after thoughtful consideration. That's my take on it, but as I said I'm really an outsider to this and appreciate the discussion.
It's been a pretty wild read haha, but yeah a much appreciated one.

And yeah that's the unfortunate part about it, that we don't know how it went down. I agree, I believe the decision was given a lot of thought, especially considering who were talking about. She definitely deserves the position with her dedication, passion, and involvement. She's probably literally as invested in the culture as she can be given the barrier she can't break, which is honestly dope and really nice to see.

As long as they didn't shoo anybody away in favor of her it's cool with me. I doubt they did, but it's true we can't know for sure.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017

1) there is no "hip hop collection" at NMAAHC, just a general music exhibit called "Musical Crossroads",
2) Ms. Burnside played a role in procurement and curation of items, but as part of a team. At least one of that team of experts, one Dr. Kevin Strait, is black. There is no evidence that supports the idea that she played an outsized or leadership role in creating the exhibit.
3) The "collection" of hip hop is a forthcoming anthology being created in part by NMAAHC. She is on the team behind this anthology. There's no evidence that suggests she is the sole individual or shotcaller behind putting together the anthology.
Thanks for this.

Ugh at the current conversation taking place.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, i understand that very well. But you shouldn't judge people by their skin color.

Fight the racial state, i'm with you. But YOU are simplistic, there isn't only you in the world, your battle is universal among mankind.

I am reminded i have red hair everyday. Do whatever you want with that, i don't compare myself to others, but i know.
Red hair is NOT comparable to the Black american legacy or experience in America. You know absolutely nothing and your comparison makes that very clear.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
RepostIng this to the new page because this whole thread is based on what are basically inaccurate information.

There is no "hip hop section" in the NMAAHC. There's an exhibit that speaks generally about African American musical history, called Musical Crossroads, which appears to have been open since 2016 (when the NMAAHC was opened).

The collection being talked about is an out of context reference to the upcoming Smithsonian Anthology of Hip-Hop and Rap, which is due to be released later this year. This is a collection of music, essays, and photographs from different contributers. Ms. Burnside is one of the people putting together this anthology, but how big of a role she has is unclear. The "announcement video", if you will:

Thanks for breaking this down. Appreciate it.

Alej

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Red hair is NOT comparable to the Black american legacy or experience in America. You know absolutely nothing and your comparison makes that very clear.

Yes it is not comparable.

I shouldn't have explained my opinion here. I'm not at ease with english like i am with french. I feel i'm rude everytime i talk in english.

It's apparently a USA problem that can't be discussed by dumb (but Licence d'Histoire en poche !) foreigners like me.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Basically because fundamentally we're not talking about people being different due to their skin color but the levels of racism among other they've experienced of thier their skin color that affects their perspective . We're not different but we certainly are treated differently.
Ok I said it won't solve anything in here but maybe I should have said anywhere. Racism will find a way.

Nov 19, 2017

When people say they sick of white peoples shit it's because of shit like this.
You need to gain some perspective and knowledge.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida

Ahaha whew. So you came in here and told me, my fellow African Americans , and other folks you don't get this conversation.

You called us racist for having this real discussion and your on about your hair??

Come on man. Your posts have been insulting

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
You'll laugh at me, but i experience racism more than you think. I won't compare because it's insulting, and no one want to kill me because of my skin color. But i happen to have red hair,
Look, I'm sorry you've been through that, of course you don't deserve to be treated badly because of your hair color. You say you don't want to make the comparison, and you recognize that isn't the same as what we're talking about here, but you must on some level think it is equivalent to even bring it up. I don't think it's even in the same galaxy. Our whole system is structured and was built on racism against black people, everything from the legal system to voting.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

I have red hair too and yes I am black.

It suck thats you went though that people are jackasses but but know this it aint comparable at all.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Comparing racism poc recieve to getting abuse for having red hair?

Oct 25, 2017
Sure:

So, turns out I was partially incorrect. There is no "hip hop section" in the NMAAHC. There's an exhibit that speaks generally about African American musical history, called Musical Crossroads, which appears to have been open since 2016 (when the NMAAHC was opened).

The collection being talked about is an out of context reference to the upcoming Smithsonian Anthology of Hip-Hop and Rap, which is due to be released later this year. This is a collection of music, essays, and photographs from different contributers. Ms. Burnside is one of the people putting together this anthology, but how big of a role she has is unclear.

The OP should be replace with this if we're being honest.

I mean, why not? Why shouldn't black people be given center stage at a museum where their history and culture is the subject, in a country that denies them opportunities left and right? Why does it feel like you're trying to make me feel bad for having those feelings?
As Kin5290 posted, with sources, turns out there is no dedicated hip hop section at this museum. There's a music crossroads section which is maintained by a team of curators of which Burnside is just one of and there are black people who are also curators of this section of the museum.

The thing is, African American individuals are absolutely center stage at this museum. The leadership are AA, most of the curators are AA. Burnside is just one curator among several others.

"I want black people to be highly represented in the role of sharing our history and culture" is a goal and value I can get behind. And the museum does this while also having diversity in it's ranks. To me, that's great and is exactly how it should be. Going to the degree of "African Americans only. Whites need not apply." is an extreme position to take and one no one should be comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.