Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Genuine question: Where are you getting this to be the general consensus?

It isn't critic reviews, as SV are the lowest rated mainline games in the series. It isn't Twitter, Reddit, or ResetEra, as those places are quite critical on the game. Era's stance is pretty obvious, and r/pokemon just did a poll that placed Gen 9 as second lowest in the series only above Gen 8.

So where is this general consensus coming from? Is it just based on sales numbers?

r/pokemon has never been positive ever since Dexit happened

However a variety of polls have had it high, people in dedicated communities all around the Internet. I see it on Serebii. I see it everywhere.

Oct 25, 2017
Will they go back and fix a 2 year old Pokémon game when the next games are being released?

This isn't happening.

My assumption is based off that leak that mentioned a next-gen patch as well as EVERY SINGLE CORRECT DETAIL OF THE DLC (like, right down to the new Pokémon introduced in both packs).

If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. But it would be weird that that was the wrong detail when everything else in that leak was dead accurate.

TheBee

Oct 18, 2023
My assumption is based off that leak that mentioned a next-gen patch as well as EVERY SINGLE CORRECT DETAIL OF THE DLC (like, right down to the new Pokémon introduced in both packs).

If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. But it would be weird that that was the wrong detail when everything else in that leak was dead accurate.

Often leaks get padded with false info mixed in with real stuff in order to trick people the fake stuff is also real.

Oct 25, 2017
Often leaks get padded with false info mixed in with real stuff in order to trick people the fake stuff is also real.

In a leak where EVERYTHING except this one was right, though? I don't buy it.

I am only assuming the reason it hasn't happened yet is because Nintendo is still trying hard to not acknowledge a Switch 2 is happening. I will happily eat crow when the Switch 2 is announced and it still hasn't been announced yet.

Mostly because I am a sucker that would like a version of the game I love to run well. Lol

lori

Oct 25, 2017
honestly i'm just kinda shocked that the game runs this bad when the environments are as simple and low quality as they are? i was replaying OoT when this came out and the area outside of hyrule castle had better texture use with the grass/fences/moat than comparable areas in s/v. how'd this HAPPEN?

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
I never undertood this complaint anyway, they are separate games internally so they have separate DLC internally, we also know if somehow you buy the wrong one you can get a complete refund for the correct one

It feels like when people complaining about the two versions in general despite those same people being literally unaffected as they know already you don't need to buy both to get everything
They're the same damn game, there's no reason at all for there to be two DLC SKUs except to cash in on double dips. And yeah, the separate versions do suck. I don't see how it doesn't affect anyone when, at best you have to put up with the nuisance of trading for exclusives that adds nothing to the experience, and at worst miss out on new competitively viable legendaries because they made one-off version exclusive ones again. People aren't just gonna give those up because they're so hard to get and they want them for themselves

Even if I do want to play through the game again to get them - my girlfriend and I have both versions between us because even if there was just one version we'd both want a copy to play ourselves. So I can use her version of Scarlet. But I need to spend another freaking fifty bucks for DLC I already have because a couple of flags in the code are different. It's the same damn DLC! This company doesn't need to be defended for everything!

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
They're the same damn game, there's no reason at all for there to be two DLC SKUs except to cash in on double dips. And yeah, the separate versions do suck. I don't see how it doesn't affect anyone when, at best you have to put up with the nuisance of trading for exclusives that adds nothing to the experience, and at worst miss out on new competitively viable legendaries because they made one-off version exclusive ones again. People aren't just gonna give those up because they're so hard to get and they want them for themselves

Even if I do want to play through the game again to get them - my girlfriend and I have both versions between us because even if there was just one version we'd both want a copy to play ourselves. So I can use her version of Scarlet. But I need to spend another freaking fifty bucks for DLC I already have because a couple of flags in the code are different. It's the same damn DLC! This company doesn't need to be defended for everything!
Isn't that part of the reason Pokemon became the franchise that is now? Feel weird to act as if it has no meaning when trading was and is a big part of the series

Once again i see no reason for getting mad it outside of it existing as you can easily get everything now

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
r/pokemon has never been positive ever since Dexit happened

However a variety of polls have had it high, people in dedicated communities all around the Internet. I see it on Serebii. I see it everywhere.
Well thats not a general consensus is it? Thats just ignoring data points that don't agree with gen 9 being the best.

Granted my experience is anecdotal, but Ive seen opinions all over the place in the various communities around the internet I frequent. Some people think its the best of all time because open world, some people are grossly disappointed by it being a technically and dynamically terrible game. Many people are in the middle, having an ok time but with some grievances.

The only general consensus takeaway I think could be drawn is that people will forgive a lot because Pokemon's formula is so inherently gripping. People will play, and enjoy, games they otherwise would drop due to boredom simply because of the Pokemon branding.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The performance problems are really irritating to me because they (justifiably) pollute most discussions about the game. S/V are like the culmination of everything Game Freak has done thus far, for better and for worse. The games are incredible and deeply meaningful to me, and I also can't justify getting upset at people talking about the performance constantly because… it is disastrous. It honestly fucking sucks.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Could also be DLC 2, which has by far the worst performance of any part of the game, and can slow to an absolute crawl in many spots, just like in that video. In fact, in each release performance has been getting worse (Base game -> DLC 1 -> DLC 2), not better.

Yeah, that's not my experience at all; the DLCs certainly haven't performed better than the base game for me, but they haven't performed significantly (if at all) worse, either. Hence my general bafflement at how there can be so much variation.

Oct 25, 2017
The only general consensus takeaway I think could be drawn is that people will forgive a lot because Pokemon's formula is so inherently gripping. People will play, and enjoy, games they otherwise would drop due to boredom simply because of the Pokemon branding.

This is what I am confused about and why I honed in on it earlier in the thread.

Either the games are good-to-great still or it's a Belda thing.

"Pick one" is not what I am saying because that's reductive.

The formula (gameplay) being "gripping" is not enough for the vast majority of people - I'll accept that for the moment.

The "branding" should not matter to these people and they should be talking up Yokai or TemTem, etc.

The need to whine about Pokemon trumped a really interesting thread about SMT V once, from memory.

I managed to annoy someone when I lightly suggested they would be better served playing literally anything else and they jumped down my throat thinking I was insinuating they had grown out of the series.

There are people right now who are thinking the latter of many, but I don't expect they're contributing.

The reasons I enjoy the games are honestly the same reasons many seem to not enjoy them.

The series will continue to try and accommodate
different tastes but let's try and at least agree that it's currently trajectory of being all things to all people all at once is the current trend.

Oct 25, 2017
Which communities besides Serebii?

I see it a lot on Twitter. The range on it being long-time fans, people who fell off the IP for one reason or another, and people who don't really play video games outside of Nintendo stuff.

Scarlet and Violet has reinvigorated Pokémon for a lot of people, and that is with them acknowledging the bugs and performance problems.

I think it just goes to show that bugs and performance isn't the end-all and people could easily overlook bad bugs and performance if the game is worth playing.

Akai_XIII

Oct 26, 2017
S/V have been the games I've engaged with the endgame the most - raids, shiny hunting, EV training.

That said, the performance leaves a lot to be desired. I didn't encounter any bad bugs in the base game/release so nothing has really changed for me. Pokemon still spawn inside walls, for example... Outbreaks in places you can't access. Is another one.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Yeah thats the thing, Serebii is 100% not being a dingus; many people LOVE what Scarlet and Violet did.

But specifically, what functioned, which is unfortunately not the game. It's such a tragedy because if Scarlet and Violet even looked as they do but just functioned up to par, y'know, semi-stable 30fps then it would truly be a really amazing game. It's just a great game with terrible functionality, alas, and that's tragic.

I'd love to love it more, but I couldn't after the umpteenth time 1v1 battles broke, Raids broke, etc... It took until February for these to function as they should, and that's just ignoring the performance issues entirely. It's such a frustration.

I enjoyed Scarlet and Violet a great amount, especially thanks to co-op existing as it does (though there's certainly optional room for improvement)--but man what a frustrating package it is. Like, it's just frustrating to play even though the gameplay is solid.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's not my experience at all; the DLCs certainly haven't performed better than the base game for me, but they haven't performed significantly (if at all) worse, either. Hence my general bafflement at how there can be so much variation.
It's a pretty common complaint among those who have played the DLC. Primarily the random 1-3 second freezes and the muddy areas in DLC 2 slowing the game to single digit FPS.

The freezes seem unpredictable so its possible you have avoided them somehow, but if your framerate doesn't plummet to near zero when you are in the muddy areas in DLC 2 then I guess you have the lone magic copy of the game that doesn't have those issues.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah thats the thing, Serebii is 100% not being a dingus; many people LOVE what Scarlet and Violet did.

But specifically, what functioned, which is unfortunately not the game. It's such a tragedy because if Scarlet and Violet even looked as they do but just functioned up to par, y'know, semi-stable 30fps then it would truly be a really amazing game. It's just a great game with terrible functionality, alas, and that's tragic.

I'd love to love it more, but I couldn't after the umpteenth time 1v1 battles broke, Raids broke, etc... It took until February for these to function as they should, and that's just ignoring the performance issues entirely. It's such a frustration.

I enjoyed Scarlet and Violet a great amount, especially thanks to co-op existing as it does (though there's certainly optional room for improvement)--but man what a frustrating package it is. Like, it's just frustrating to play even though the gameplay is solid.

It's why I am still holding out hope for that Switch 2 update that was in that DLC leak. Lol

Nothing about how Pokemon will change until a new game massively underperforms

I don't think that is ENTIRELY true. They learned a lot from the criticisms of Sword and Shield. And they took what worked and didn't work with Legends Arceus.

Maybe Game Freak works slow when it comes to applying those lessons, but they do change and take certain criticisms. I have no doubt at all if the next Gen is just an all-around more polished experience in the performance department.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
SV are my favorite Pokémon games (tied with Arceus). Just love the setup, friends/rivals, content variety, mobility/exploration etc. My biggest gripe isn't technical opportunities, but that I wish I could dress up my character better.

The technical stuff is so insignificant to me that it's easy to look past. If this is the price to pay for this level of Pokémon, then I'm willing to pay it.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty common complaint among those who have played the DLC. Primarily the random 1-3 second freezes and the muddy areas in DLC 2 slowing the game to single digit FPS.

The freezes seem unpredictable so its possible you have avoided them somehow, but if your framerate doesn't plummet to near zero when you are in the muddy areas in DLC 2 then I guess you have the lone magic copy of the game that doesn't have those issues.

I'm on vacation without my Switch right now so I can't test. I have wandered around the muddy areas without noticing a significant reduction in performance, though--I'm not particularly susceptible to framerate dips, but I definitely would have noticed a single digit or "near zero" framerate, if it's similar to the example linked before. Will have to get a recording when I come back. It just makes me wonder if installation settings (game card vs. digital, internal storage vs. SD card, type or formatting of SD card, etc.) are partially at play here.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Which communities besides Serebii?
All of them. Basically places where people play the game, not just complain about them. Where you have communities that actually play the games more, you will see that mindset coming out more and more

So often I've seen the rhetoric of "I dismissed the games based on the performance and what people said online, but I actually started playing them and they're really enjoyable despite the issues".

I'm not just talking out of my arse here. I see it a LOT.

I'm on vacation without my Switch right now so I can't test. I have wandered around the muddy areas without noticing a significant reduction in performance, though--I'm not particularly susceptible to framerate dips, but I definitely would have noticed a single digit or "near zero" framerate, if it's similar to the example linked before. Will have to get a recording when I come back. It just makes me wonder if installation settings (game card vs. digital, internal storage vs. SD card, type or formatting of SD card, etc.) are partially at play here.
It's definitely a factor, I've spoken to Nintendo and TPCi about it.

It's also the only way I can think of for the fact that I haven't had any of the issues I see people claim plague the game, just the iffy framerate. None of the random freezing, the slowing to a crawl during battles or when catching a Pokémon, the models being where they shouldn't be etc.

I've had a total of three crashes in the game in my time. One was a purpose one when I was trying to duplicate the save bug which everyone was scared about which none of us could actually replicate, the other was doing GO postcards in March and the other was actually last month in a Dialga raid. Legitimately have had TotK lock up on me more times and I love that game

Last edited:

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I really dislike the "general concencues is that people love the games". It's based on zero evidence. It heavily implies that people having issues with the games are the small majority. That's definitely not the case.

I'm not really in Pokemon communities besides Go but in traditional jrpg groups people aren't kind to Scarlet/violet and that's putting it mildly

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I really dislike the "general concencues is that people love the games". It's based on zero evidence. It heavily implies that people having issues with the games are the small majority. That's definitely not the case.

I'm not really in Pokemon communities besides Go but in traditional jrpg groups people aren't kind to Scarlet/violet and that's putting it mildly
This post makes no sense to me.

People can love a game and still have issues with it.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Players: "We want performance improvements!"

Monkey Paw curls

Nintendo: "Here are the performance improvements we promised you we were working on."

nintendo-switch-2-1536x864.jpg
I wish I believed that. Switch 1 games will run in a switch 1 compatability mode with zero improvements, unless revisited by development teams. Switch 2 Pokemon Games will be just as technically compromised as Switch 1 Pokemon games. Power gains will be eaten up in other ways.

That's my assumption, at least. Game Freak gives me little reason to be optimistic.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

They're not mutually exclusive

I love the games. I think they're one of the top Pokémon experiences. I know they're flawed. You can really enjoy something that is a technical mess, you get that right?

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Well thats not a general consensus is it? Thats just ignoring data points that don't agree with gen 9 being the best.

Granted my experience is anecdotal, but Ive seen opinions all over the place in the various communities around the internet I frequent. Some people think its the best of all time because open world, some people are grossly disappointed by it being a technically and dynamically terrible game. Many people are in the middle, having an ok time but with some grievances.

Hell even my little bro who hasn't really played a game since he was like 18 and obviously doesn't partake in game discourse told me that he heard this game sucks when I told him I was playing it

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I think that even with significantly more polish, SV would still be SV. I found the world devoid of interesting things for really long stretches, so its scale felt off for the density of activity in it. After a while, I stopped wanting to explore because there was little reason to, and I mostly went point to point between major objectives.

Sure, there are Pokemon around, but their behavior is so rudimentary that it isn't really interesting to watch them. Looking around for shiny stuff in the environment quickly loses its appeal. Fighting all the trainers, or even enough to meet area targets, is a bad idea because you'll quickly trivialize general progression unless you're always making new teams. I regularly switched out mons and it was still so easy to overshoot leveling.

The game's semi-structured progression also felt actively inhibiting to where I organically felt I wanted to go. It imposed an awkward structure to the whole thing that didn't feel right regardless of how I approached its progression. Surely, you're not meant to set arbitrary rules for yourself like making new teams for each path? I really don't understand the intent here.

So while I would enjoy SV a great deal more without all its technical issues, the underlying design still wouldn't gel with me.

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
3DS > Switch
Massive scope increase resulted in the worst performance yet despite a lot more power
Switch > Switch 2
Doubt the scope of the games can get much different than it already is, and now they have the headroom for good performance
That's just what I think will happen lol

toutoune134

Nov 7, 2017
Speaking of switch 2 I hope it will be announced before February 27. I'd rather have a first look of the 2024 Pokémon game running on it.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Speaking of switch 2 I hope it will be announced before February 27. I'd rather have a first look of the 2024 Pokémon game running on it.
The next Pokémon game will probably be Switch 1-only anyway considering that Game Freak & TPC don't usually jump ship to new hardware right away. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the reveal of the Switch 2 isn't until March since Nintendo may not want the big reveal to be too close to their usual February Direct.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017

It really is the general consensus between fans (What Serebii said), don't know what to tell you, you just said you aren't in these communities so it makes sense you don't know this?

I'm not even that much into them and I've seen this sentiment all the time, game has technical issues but still the most fun a lot of them got with Pokemon in a long time.

Last edited:

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I think that even with significantly more polish, SV would still be SV. I found the world devoid of interesting things for really long stretches, so its scale felt off for the density of activity in it. After a while, I stopped wanting to explore because there was little reason to, and I mostly went point to point between major objectives.

Sure, there are Pokemon around, but their behavior is so rudimentary that it isn't really interesting to watch them. Looking around for shiny stuff in the environment quickly loses its appeal. Fighting all the trainers, or even enough to meet area targets, is a bad idea because you'll quickly trivialize general progression unless you're always making new teams. I regularly switched out mons and it was still so easy to overshoot leveling.

The game's semi-structured progression also felt actively inhibiting to where I organically felt I wanted to go. It imposed an awkward structure to the whole thing that didn't feel right regardless of how I approached its progression. Surely, you're not meant to set arbitrary rules for yourself like making new teams for each path? I really don't understand the intent here.

So while I would enjoy SV a great deal more without all its technical issues, the underlying design still wouldn't gel with me.
Agree with all of this. The core premise of Pokemon and the monster designs are still good enough that people are way too forgiving of everything around that imo. Even without the performance issues these games just keep feeling more half-baked in terms of design with every new gen as the scope increases but dev cycles remain the same.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
It really is the general consensus between fans (What Serebii said), don't know what to tell you, you just said you aren't in these communities so it makes sense you don't know this?
This is exactly the point. It's the "General Consensus" of the people who stayed in the dedicated Pokemon Fan communities. Not the General Consensus.

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
These games still run so freaking bad , it is honestly inexcusable.

In the DLC I thought my game had frozen but nope - the framerate is just that bad.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Playing a shit ton of Tears of the Kingdom and Future Redeemed this year only made me more furious about the state S/V shipped and continue to remain in post-DLC. The fault lies squarely on Game Freak's own incompetence when it comes to planning and production.

It's obvious to me that the team is talented, but their production schedules, workflows and tech clearly aren't coming together cohesively. They need to use better tools and for god's sake, give themselves more time to make these games. Barebones vanilla game content, lack of polish and rampant performance issues shouldn't be the expectation for a game series which makes as much money as the Pokemon games do.
Serious question. Bandai Namco helps Sakurai and his team with Smash. How come an external team cannot help Game Freak with Pokemon?

Monolith Soft even helped EAD when it came to scaling BoTW map and what not. I just feel like more can be done to mitigate the terrible performance from these games.

Different companies but Sony's internal teams intermingle all the time and help each other out when it comes to the technical side of making games and even created the ICE team. I feel initiatives like this should be taken one a popular games like this becomes well known for being a technical mess.

It's odd because Legends Arceus wasn't this bad and nothing about the open world is that much more technically impressive than this aside from it not being segmented MH style.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly the point. It's the "General Consensus" of the people who stayed in the dedicated Pokemon Fan communities. Not the General Consensus.
There is no way to know what the general consensus is. All we have is sales data and that means little.
Anecdotally? Everyone is gonna believe what they want to believe.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If Gamefreak insists on their 3 year cycles still, the games will continue to have bugs and poor performances similar to that of Scarlet and Violet, that's even with the assumption that ILCA's going to be acting as the in between team releasing a smaller title every alternate 3 years to fill the gaps (Which would be happening next November for those keeping track, brace yourself for Pokemon Day.)

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Yes? We were always talking about the general consensus between dedicated fan communities so I'm missing your point here.

Then thats just saying "The dedicated fans of pokemon still like the games" which... isn't a point. It doesn't say anything about the reception the game has. Serebii says r/pokemon is down on it, and Resetera has plenty of Pokemon Fans that don't like the game. But The "general consensus" doesnt seem to include these places, and people who are disillusioned with the latest pokemon games probably don't post to the more dedicated communities these days because there's better ways to spend time than go to these more dedicated places and shit on Pokemon.

Its vaguely like the No True Scotsman fallacy. "no true Pokemon Fan dislikes the latest games"

Oct 27, 2017
I assume the general consensus is confusion. Why are the graphics tripping out? Is it about to break? Why does it stutter so much? Is it supposed to be this clunky? Why do things disappear and reappear constantly? Why does it look that way? Did I really spend $60 on this? Is something wrong with my game? Why would they make it like this? Why hasn't it been fixed like all my other games?

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon fans should apologize for enabling Game Freak
It all boils down to this.

Nevermind the gameplay that somehow keeps getting even less challenging. The recent games have only gotten uglier while running worse and worse. It's why I bailed on the series.

And yet, they still rake in insane sale numbers. Fans have signaled to Nintendo, TPC, and GF that they couldn't care less about quality, and that's what they'll get.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Then thats just saying "The dedicated fans of pokemon still like the games" which... isn't a point. It doesn't say anything about the reception the game has. Serebii says r/pokemon is down on it, and Resetera has plenty of Pokemon Fans that don't like the game. But The "general consensus" doesnt seem to include these places, and people who are disillusioned with the latest pokemon games probably don't post to the more dedicated communities these days because there's better ways to spend time than go to these more dedicated places and shit on Pokemon.

Its vaguely like the No True Scotsman fallacy. "no true Pokemon Fan dislikes the latest games"

I don't think anyone here was trying to say that to be honest, we were just discussing a general sentiment that is seen nowadays in these communities, where everyone accepts the game came out almost broken but for most of them this isn't stopping them from seeing the game that they love behind.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've downloaded a bunch of Pokémon rom hacks on my Odin 2 that's I'm excited to jump into when I have the chance. Fans will always keep the series I remember alive when game freak fails to deliver.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
2D art and animation, as much as we hate to say it, are pretty niche and the younger audience seems to not resonate as well with it

Why do you think Disney doesn't do 2D animation anymore?
Yeah that's why anime is more popular than it's ever been and is absolutely demolishing western 3D animation in viewership

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's why anime is more popular than it's ever been and is absolutely demolishing western 3D animation in viewership
Pretty sure serebii was talking about how the big animated movies studios all stopped 2d films since ppl stopped going to them compared to 2d films, especially with the disney example they gave.

Not sure how anime came into the picture, since closer examples in the gaming space would also confirm the idea, since it's rarer seeing big budget 2d games these days from big studios, and when they happen they are sold at reduced prices, similar to how sonic mania was sold at 40, but the 3d equivalent of sonic superstars was sold full price.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
To answer the original question of the topic: no Nintendo did not lie, albeit in a "you are technically correct; the best kind of correct" way. The statements they made were vague and non-promissory enough that they did make improvements to the game (and there's no real way to prove that they weren't "always looking into ways to improve the experience" as they claim) so the comments in that tweet were fulfilled. Obviously though, if you brought the game to the general public and asked for the expectations for how the game should be improved, I doubt "cut down on how many things spawn so the game doesn't crash but the framerate still chugs terribly most of the time you're navigating the world" would really cut it as significant improvement. But for the state it launched in and the apparent limitations of the engine and staff they're working with, getting something like a stable 30fps in a wide open environment was always going to be a pipe dream.

Not going to bother with the "pokemon fan" infighting because I frankly don't find it constructive or all that worthwhile; no shit dedicated fans will enjoy the game despite the flaws, that's why they're the dedicated fanbase and you could find similar sentiments in most substantially large IPs. The main thing that differentiates Pokemon from other franchises who run into this sort of thing, as I see it anyway, is that Pokemon's core premise still retains a much wider appeal than most, and even most of its critics are critical mostly because they feel the series' potential is being uniquely squandered in the hands of its current management.

Thinking about it personally...I recall hearing that Sword and Shield was originally running on a scaled-up version of the engine that Sun and Moon was built on, and that Legends Arceus was built off of Sword and Shield...is there any idea if Scarlet and Violet was run off of that same SwSh platform too? I really feel like being kept handheld-only for so long hurt GameFreak's ability to accelerate into modern HD development once they were kind of forced into it. They started outsourcing remakes so it seems like they've at least realized that they can't manage their old annual-ish release patterns by themselves anymore, which is a start, but here's hoping they can further adjust the timing of the merchandise empire to give the games themselves some time to breathe, and continue learning the reality that they need to overhaul their internal tech and grow their internal teams if they want to make something they're not continuing to apologize for later.