• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
I'm surprised the FUD about heat from XSX even took off, considering the original person who was quoted tweeted back and said "FAKE NEWS," and clarified what he meant.

Then you had media, journalists and Youtubers debunking it, as well, and even Tom Warren had to chime in with the obvious:

Last edited:

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
how is the One X generating heat that leaves through the Series X? that doesn't make any sense

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
You know what would be worse than heat coming out of the console? Heat not coming out of it.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
You don't go through the RROD fiasco to repeat the same mistake twice.

Once journalists are allowed to touch the PS5 outside of a controlled environment we will likely find it runs hot too, which is normal.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
This whole "heat" thing is overblown as fuck.

Every piece of eletronics is going to release heat especially when you have a powerful machine in a small box, the bottom of my PS4 and the Xbox One X were always hot after a long of session, so does my PC.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
The laws of thermodynamics haven't changed between the release of the One X and Series X. NEWS AT 11.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Props for the transparency, stuff like this is what gets in the way of meaningful discussions.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I see the concern threads now have follow ups lmao

Game consoles produce heat. It's good that it's getting the heat out of the console. Why is this a talking point?

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
The whole 'heat' controversy is one of the dumbest things I have seen in gaming. It's like people don't have a grasp of basic physics, or haven't touched any electronic equipment.

Oct 27, 2017
It makes sense if you think about it. It has what, a 300-350 watt PSU? Even if that was the least efficient machine in the world and every bit of power got converted to heat it wouldn't get anywhere near space heater levels of heat output.

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Would be great if Microsoft and Sony allowed the user to see the APU temps.

It's annoying that I have to guess when I should clean the console.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
God I hate the gaming discourse right now and the fact that this even needed to be addressed.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I honestly did not get the FUD on this one, honestly all the fud around heat stuff for both consoles was and is so ridiculous clearly both companies have done everything to make sure their consoles perform well.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm so confused as to why this is an issue. I don't think I have any tech device that doesn't get hot to the touch when working hard.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Can't say for sure since I haven't gone hands-on with one, but I have a feeling the whole smokestack design of the XSX just makes people notice the heat venting more. More traditionally-designed consoles just get tucked away in an entertainment unit and the heat vents out the back, so nobody notices it.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
you realize every console outputs 1080° right?

iu

Jul 10, 2020
Tbh the fact that this was embargoed didn't help.
But yeah, this is basic stuff, it shouldn't be controversy.
I mean WAS it embargoed? I don't think temp was something that Microsoft would keep underwraps. It's was probably normal thing that Microsoft didn't even think would gain traction in the FUD circles.

I think it was just the usual suspects of Anti-Xbox FUD (Jaydub,Crapgamer, Droid, others) spreading it as far and fast and as wide as possible.

Their whole identity is too make money off of anti-Xbox people. Just like other people jobs are to make money off of pro-Xbox/anti-Sony people.

It's all FANBOY FUD and it's spread by the usual suspects on social media.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
It makes sense if you think about it. It has what, a 300-350 watt PSU? Even if that was the least efficient machine in the world and every bit of power got converted to heat it wouldn't get anywhere near space heater levels of heat output.

As a comparison point, PS5 is 350 (based on the DF stream from yesterday).

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Not sure what the controversy with this is, complicated electronics getting hot is expected. I think it's okay to be smart with your money and research these consoles if you're going to spend a lot of money on them. I just don't think outright exaggeration is the solution to it. If you're worried about heat, wait a year to buy one of these new machines.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Not sure what the controversy with this is, complicated electronics getting hot is expected. I think it's okay to be smart with your money and research these consoles if you're going to spend a lot of money on them. I just don't think outright exaggeration is the solution to it. If you're worried about heat, wait a year to buy one of these new machines.
Bad news spread faster than light

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I think it was just the usual suspects of Anti-Xbox FUD (Jaydub,Crapgamer, Droid, others) spreading it as far and fast and as wide as possible.

Their whole identity is too make money off of anti-Xbox people. Just like other people jobs are to make money off of pro-Xbox/anti-Sony people.

It's all FANBOY FUD and it's spread by the usual suspects on social media.
I agree, those people would spread bullshit anyway.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I see the concern threads now have follow ups lmao

Game consoles produce heat. It's good that it's getting the heat out of the console. Why is this a talking point?
Everyone is going stir crazy with every bit of new info about these consoles. We've had hand-wringing threads and posts about every single conceivable issue you could think of. People in the PS5 teardown thread were talking about how scary it looked to take a side panel off and remove one screw to install an NVMe SSD

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if I disliked the heat concern trolling or the outrage of having to own a screwdriver to turn the PS5 more.

Jul 10, 2020
Bad news spread faster than light
Some people are just aching trying to turn the Series X|S launch into some kind of repeat of 2013. Doesn't matter what it is, the just NEED it. They THIRST for it.

Xbox is probably positioned to do better than the One generation in the long run, and for some reason it drives people up a wall.

How sad is that?

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
I mean, if Aaron Greenberg, the XB PR guy says so, it must be true.... /s

But for real, this isn't something that's going to be relevant to people pre-launch. It might be, it might not be... what are you gonna do about it? Not a thing. Just wait til launch...

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Some people are just aching trying to turn the Series X|S launch into some kind of repeat of 2013. Doesn't matter what it is, the just NEED it. They THIRST for it.

Xbox is probably positioned to do better than the One generation in the long run, and for some reason it drives people up a wall.

How sad is that?

It seems like both sides of crazy are trying to do one on the other.