I say "Abridged Series". What do you think of first?

• Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged

Votes: 108 38.2%
  • Dragon Ball Z Abridged

Votes: 154 54.4%
  • Sword Art Online Abridged

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • Helsing Ultimate Abridged

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • FF7 Machinima Abridged

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Series

Votes: 6 2.1%

• Total voters

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In the context of anime, an abridged series is essentially a parody/riffing of the original material. While the big guns have all but moved on, the legacy can be felt even to this day. I've been thinking of going on a abridged series binge, and I just wanted to see what series people associate with the idea., and maybe watch some new ones as well.
For me, it's probably Dragon Ball Z Abridged.

...It's a light hearted thread for a light-hearted topic on a Sunday afternoon. Dunno what else more to say then that.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
DBZA and YGOA are what immediately come to mind. A lot of the other abridged series didn't quite really click as much as the other two, and even those two had their definite lows.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
The best Abridged series is Hellsing Ultimate Abridged, but considering it's a side-project of the DBZA team obviously everyone's going to think of that first.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
DBZA, Yu-Gi-Oh and Sword Art Online are like the gold standard for abridged series

I almost feel like SAO is the best of the three in that it took a kind of goofy show and just made it enjoyable to watch. DBZ and Yu-gi-oh are already fun shows to watch, and abridged just makes for neat little alternates, but for SAO it almost feels like it'd work better if SAO:A was the official version lol

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hellsing Abridged for me. It was the first one I watched and it's probably still the best one they've ever done.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
DBZA obviously. Hellsing and FF7MA are also very cool though. Great memories from them all.

Sword Art Online Abridged might be the greatest accomplishment in transforming a, by all accounts, bad show into a good show.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Just Yugi-oh comes to mind really.

I never really liked these styles of humor when I tried them, so I don't have much exp with them.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
I never watched SAO past a few episodes. Would the abridged series still be a good time without the original show as context?

Turin

Oct 27, 2017

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
YGOA was my jam back in Uni but DBZA fully superseded it for me. YGOA was the OG but DBZA really perfected the formula.

Metal Gear?!

Jun 26, 2020
There are a million "abridged" series out there in various states of incompleteness, but in general you can sort them based on the following criteria:

1) Are there more than 2 people doing the voices?

2) Are at least 2 of them women?

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
DBZA is the correct answer. YGOA will also be acceptable.

Everything else felt very copycat. YGO started, and DBZA aped that. All the other attempts by creators that were not LittleKuriboh or involved in Team Four Star were all extremely derivative and terrible in their own ways. No one was touching their writing, and very few kept up with their editing.

That was a wild time period though. Every anime new and old had some sort of abridged series. For better or for worse (mostly worse).

EdgeWilder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Attack on titan abridge was hilarious. but dbza comes to mind first when i think abridge series. Wish they at least did some more movies

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Code Ment (Code Geuss Abridged)

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU ARE AT SOUP?!

WHY ARE YOU BUYING CLOTHES AT THE SOUP STORE???

But yeah, I was on the Yugioh Abridged train back around when it started and it's fascinating to see how it's developed over the past 15 odd years. LK has publicly had a lot of issues staying in a good mental place but he's soldiered on somehow despite everything. I just hope that if he does make it to the end (and he's fairy close) he does so at his own pace and comfort level, as always.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged, LK has dealt with a LOT of shit so his episodes are now sparse, but when he makes one, it's always tons of fun.

"Speaking of Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal, remember to watch 5D's"

SAO Abridged pretty much rewrites SAO into a competent narrative about two completely broken pieces of shit falling in love and trying to make it work. It's just too good.

"Do you have any idea how many players have died screaming Leroy Jenkins? MORE THAN ZERO."

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
SAO Abridged does a fantastic job at giving you an image of what SAO would look like in the hands of a good writer and director.

They give Kirito an actually solid character arc.