• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
The Outer Worlds

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
miydxnerdx221.png

With the recent announcement and many publications publishing new information, I thought it would be great to gather every single thing we know about The Outer Worlds into one handy post for everyone.

Title: The Outer Worlds

Developer: Obsidian Entertainment

Publisher: Private Division

Platforms: Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC

Release Date: 2019

Engine: Unreal Engine 4

Synopsis
In The Outer Worlds, you awake from hibernation on a colonist ship that was lost in transit to Halcyon, the furthest colony from Earth located at the edge of the galaxy, only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy it. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.

Gameplay

Screenshots

Articles

PC Gamer

Game Informer

IGN

Locations
  • One solar system called Halcyon
  • The solar system contains two main planets, several moons, asteroids, and space stations that players can explore
  • One planet is terraformed, the other is not
  • The terraformed planet is considered "kinder to human life" while the other planet is not and is considered more dangerous and contains alien predators
  • Players will have a home base space ship like Mass Effect's Normandy
  • Passkeys needed to access certain locations and docks
  • Environments are small but have intense detail
  • Roaming around environments is possible
  • There are points of no return
Characters
  • ADA - A.I. for your Spaceship
  • Ellie - Companion
  • Felix - Companion
  • Berke - Just the fucking tarmac guard
  • Anton Crane - Scientist
  • Cassandra O'Malley - Outlaw
  • Porter - Mad kid
Companions
  • Inventory, when companions are with you, is shared
  • No romancing companions
  • Companion customization
  • Only two companions at a time
  • Each companion comes with three skills
  • Each companion comes with a perk tree
  • Every time you level up, your companions level up
  • You can choose which perks your companions get when they level up with you
  • Each companion as a special attack
  • Companions will leave you and go back to the ship if you piss them off too much
Flaw System
  • When fighting a certain type of enemy many times, you are given the choice to take on a Flaw
  • Flaws negatively impact you and your companion's stats
  • You can choose to accept or reject them
  • If you choose to accept the Flaw, you are immediately granted 1 perk point
  • If you reject the Flaw, the game continues as before
  • Flaws are permanent
  • Can only have 3 flaws in normal difficulty, can have 5 on a hard difficulty
  • Flaw examples include Robophobia, a fear of heights, a fear of the dark, a fear of fire, etc.
Tactical Time Dilation
  • Very similar to VATS from Fallout
  • Time slows down and allows you to view information on enemies like their health, faction, enemy type, and armor level
  • Unlike VATS, aiming is 100% manual
  • Skills and Perks allow for more frequent use or longer use
Weapons
  • 4 weapon types - Bullet weapons, Energy weapons, Melee, and science weapons
  • Bullet weapons have 3 types of bullet ammo - Light, medium, heavy
  • Science weapons have special effects like a shrink ray for instance
  • No RNG for shooting enemies with weapons
  • Weapons can have mods
  • Mods for weapons include ones that give fire damage and shock damage
  • Damage is based on the damage output from the weapon and your character
  • There is a weapon selection wheel
More information to be added, please check back in a while.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Please

god

Someone tell me whether or not that scientist is Ian McShane

Al Swearengen being in my frontier town is the most important thing to know

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I wonder how big the scope of the game will be. Would love it if there's as much content as there was in New Vegas.

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
I know, especially for how big games are today and how much of a task it is, that it would be impossible to play as something other than a human and expect things to react differently to you (like how one planet favors humans more, it'd be cool to play a second playthrough as a non-human where the other planet is more welcoming to you) but I think it would be really cool.

Weapons not having RNG makes me think this will play like a regular shooter and less like a Fallout/Borderlands sponge healthed enemy game which has me excited.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
So happy with and for Obsidian that they're get to do a fallout-esque spiritual succesor like this.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Small environments but a whole solar system to explore? I dont understand

The setting is in a solar system, and within that solar system are areas to explore.

These areas include two planets, space stations, asteroids, etc.

Each location will let you roam and explore, but it is not a seamless open world like New Vegas was for instance.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love everything about this so far. I want to inject this game into my veins.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this game is being made specifically for me. I haven't been able to say that about a RPG since New Vegas.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Not that I woould; but is there the freedom to kill anyone, go anywhere, do anything a la Fallout and New Vegas?

Either way, a game with NV as an aspiration is already half the dream -- leave it to Obsidian to take up the job if no one else would touch it with an electric pole..! ^^'

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I woould; but is there the freedom to kill anyone, go anywhere, do anything a la Fallout and New Vegas?

Either way, a game with NV as an aspiration is already half the dream -- leave it to Obsidian to take up the job if no one else would touch it with an electric pole..! ^^'

They did confirm you can kill anyone.

As for travel we only know it's not open world but split up into zones, probably the different planets or locations on planets that you fly your ship to. There is level scaling but it's limited and they mentioned you can wander into higher zones early and get loot if you can avoid dying.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am so in for this and my wife is cautiously optimistic. She only likes games like New Vegas and Dragon Age and both have been in short supply this generation.

I see it's not fully open world as there are zones, but are these zones just the different planets/moons and each planet/moon is open world?

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I understand the flaw system. I get how it works and everything, it just doesn't seem like it's all that necessary unless you want to self impose a challenge I guess. Rejecting one having no penalty seems to make it kind of pointless to me. I'm sure it fits in the overall context just fine.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
There are 'hub areas' to explore that are somewhat open, it's not a seamless/constant open world.
The setting is in a solar system, and within that solar system are areas to explore.

Each location will let you roam and explore, but it is not a seamless open world like New Vegas was for instance.
My guess is the solar system angle just acts as a level hub, then each planet has a smaller defined level to play in. Not unlike Mass Effect.
Gotcha thanks

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ditching romance is the best thing ever. It's a plague on these kind of RPGs that cheapens character relationships, and also attracts a weird and creepy element of the fanbase.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I understand the flaw system. I get how it works and everything, it just doesn't seem like it's all that necessary unless you want to self impose a challenge I guess. Rejecting one having no penalty seems to make it kind of pointless to me. I'm sure it fits in the overall context just fine.

Obsidian says this is to really aid people who are role-playing and want their character to have a flaw.

Oct 27, 2017
London
Most of this sounds good. I want to see how in depth the character customization is. I'm really afraid that this will be a fixed protagonist type deal like ELEX or Alpha Protocol. I heard there was a CC but how much control we'll have over that we'll have to see. With more money Obsidian can make a bigger space based game but for now this is the best they can do. Remember that this was a studio desperate to be bought out because they had financial struggles. About time we got a New Vegas tier non isometric RPG from Obsidian. Hopefully Microsoft keeps Obsidian what it is and don't force them to do a Bethesda and dumb stuff down. Choice and consequence is the most important thing for me in a RPG.

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden

It seems similar to the traits system in New Vegas. Traits had positive and negative effects.

This is a different take on that, since it's only negative. Probably.

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
Sounds absolutely delightful. I am so glad this isn't open world, what a relief. Meticulously hand crafted detailed maps that are a puddle wide and an ocean deep is the best news I've heard in ages. I was worried it would turn out like Andromeda, which wasn't even open world either, but the maps were massive with nothing of value, just copy pasted buildings and enemies. Exploration wasn't even good as there wasn't any incentive to explore and the vista's weren't that good either. Another desert and forest map? Right.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds similar to single player Destiny, but with a story much more compelling to my tastes.

I cannot wait.

Must have seen the trailer 20 times by now and the gameplay footage at least 5.

This is my most anticipated title next year.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

This sounds good enough for me, I just hope they can get the loading to a respectable level if we'll be going between zones a lot.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
They did confirm you can kill anyone.

As for travel we only know it's not open world but split up into zones, probably the different planets or locations on planets that you fly your ship to. There is level scaling but it's limited and they mentioned you can wander into higher zones early and get loot if you can avoid dying.

Ohoho excellent... long as the congruity of choice is intact from top to bottom, the segmented format of the world should be self-sufficient. Having high-level regions not implicitly walled off can make for fun risks.

Ditching romance is the best thing ever. It's a plague on these kind of RPGs that cheapens character relationships, and also attracts a weird and creepy element of the fanbase.

Just saw this... darn-nabbits. As someone 'partial' to the romancing I'd prefer it improved upon and fleshed rather than removed entirely... but if the former can't be done then its erasure is probably for the best.

On a related note, I wonder how moddable this will be to the players. An open toolkit to work with would be hamana-hamana..!

Last edited:

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I like everything I see and hear about this. It just sounds exactly like what I'm looking for in RPGs, but almost never can find these days.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Flaw system sounds pretty cool, between this and Disco Elysium I'm liking the trend of RPG characters being defined by their weaknesses and not just their strengths. Makes them that much more interesting.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
This all sounds really good, I can't wait. The slow-mo mechanic also seems like literally just a better version of VATS, so that is great. New Vegas even with its flaws is probably my favorite game of all time so the fact that they try to evoke that as much as they do is seriously exciting. I would like to have seen a few more dialogue options in the gameplay and screenshots they've shown, as it doesn't seem like quite the same amount of options you had in Fallout 1-2 and New Vegas.

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'll probably make my char scared of the dark. I wonder if fears will have some kind of visual or audio effects to show the stress that your character feels in that situation. Like an audible fast heartbeat and panicked breathing? Would add to immersion.

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
Ah, now I understand the Flaw system. You take the negative effects, and that'll make you less effective against a particular enemy type for the rest of the game.

But, you are rewarded with a perk point each time you take a Flaw. So there is a reason to do it, but if you don't want to risk being less effective in combat, you don't have to. (but then you don't get those extra perk points.)

So that's cool. It was a bit confusing to understand, but then I saw gameplay footage, and this is what a Flaw is.

kos6YfU.png

Last edited:

TheDave545

Nov 4, 2017
No romance option is a massive bonus, sometimes I feel it can bring a game down, not every RPG needs the main character shacking up with someone.

Credit to Obsidian for giving us a Huge Sci Fi RPG,and even more credit for keeping something this big a secret for so long.

Nice to know their will be this and Cyberpunk out on the same gen.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
The only thing I don't like from all this are the points of no return, I absolutely hate them on rpgs because they make me check guides to make sure I didn't miss anything. The fact that they use it on plural isn't very encouraging...

Jan 15, 2018
This was the best reveal of the game awards, so pleased to see Obsidian working on a game of this type.

It's also crazy to hear they've been working on this for more than 2 years and nothing has been leaked.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
Not really feeling the setting unfortunately:/ But it is a single player RPG from Obsidian so I will keep an open mind