Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
Alexandria, Egypt
ISS068-E-59845.JPG

Josh Cassada has given us a bird's-eye view of the supercharged auroras.
You don't often see Earth's dazzling auroras from this angle.

NASA astronaut Josh Cassada just snapped a stunning shot of the light display from his perch on the International Space Station (ISS), which flies about 250 miles (400 kilometers) above Earth on average.

"Absolutely unreal," Cassada wrote by way of a caption for the photo, which he posted on Twitter on Tuesday (Feb. 28).

Cassada is far from the only skywatcher marveling at the auroras these days. The light shows — caused by the interaction of charged solar particles with molecules in Earth's atmosphere — have been supercharged recently by strong sun activity.

Specifically, a "hole" in the sun's outer atmosphere, or corona, souped up the flow of the solar wind, the stream of charged particles flowing constantly from our star. And huge clouds of solar plasma that were rocketed into space by coronal mass ejections slammed into our planet on both Sunday (Feb. 26) and Monday (Feb. 27), adding more fuel to the auroral fire.

As a result, the displays have spread far from the ultrahigh latitudes that are their natural home. (Earth's magnetic field lines tend to channel the charged particles toward our planet's poles.)

The wispy, dancing lights wowed observers throughout the British Isles recently, for example, and even made an appearance as far south as California: They were photographed above Death Valley National Park on Monday.

Cassada arrived at the ISS last October, along with the three other crewmembers of SpaceX's Crew-5 mission — NASA's Nicole Mann, Japanese astronaut Koichi Wakata and cosmonaut Anna Kikina.

The quartet will be able to admire our planet from above for just another week or so, if all goes according to plan: Crew-5 is scheduled to return to Earth about five days after SpaceX's Crew-6 mission arrives at the orbiting lab. Crew-6 is currently slated to lift off early Thursday morning (March 2) from NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
www.space.com

'Absolutely unreal:' NASA astronaut snaps amazing photo of auroras from space station

Josh Cassada has given us a bird's-eye view of the supercharged auroras.

View: https://twitter.com/astro_josh/status/1630603233059020803

Beautiful.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
That's amazing and beautiful at the same time. What's the resolution on that photo? looks extremely crisp.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This looks so goddamn fantastical you'd think it was fake if not coming from an actual astronaut. Like holy cow. Crazy looking.

Griffy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this is cool or not, but I ran it through Topaz Denoise to get a cleaner image for a desktop background:
Tq2tk1.jpeg

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Because conspiracy theorists poison my brain, my first thought ... What a nice photo challenging another common "moon landing is fake" claims about there not being stars in all photos of outer space.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
Because conspiracy theorists poison my brain, my first thought ... What a nice photo challenging another common "moon landing is fake" claims about there not being stars in all photos of outer space.
I'll admit, I was puzzled here as to how you could have the sun and stars in the same exposure, but I read here that the bright object is the moon, not the sun.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
The aurora was visible from the tip of Ireland and the UK. I know someone who drove 3 hours to see it.

That picture is amazing.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
That's pretty incredible. Easy to take it for granted that someone can take a picture like that.