• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
the one inhouse ubisoft game this gen that wasnt a jank fest

the diff between this and origins is massive

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This...looks janky.

And it's like, a best case scenario.
Not even:
vBTxhgv.gif

m6gBSML.gif

WtLeRDv.gif

EBiB6sc.gif

Origins plays a ton better than TW3 by a large margin. The way you mix heavy attacks, light attacks, dodges, special moves and status effects, ranged attacks on top of the AC traversal, all of it feels really good. The game throws you right into the deep end and feels really weird at first, but once you get the hang of it everything clicks.

Last edited:

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
AC Origins feels fantastic to play. Idk what everyone is on about. But then again, I'm the same guy who thinks TW3 has great combat so what do I know...

bad_carbs

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they stuck with Syndicate's combat. It's a lot like one of them Arkham games and I feel is a lot faster and more stylish. Origin's combat feels like a 3-D Zelda with extra bells and whistles. It works, but I don't find it very fun

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Origins has shit combat

Just like the TW3, I enjoyed the game all the same.

Crappy real time combat is just what I expect from most ARPGs.

I mean shit, Skyrim's combat is atrocious and look how well-loved that is.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You may like it or not but janky it is not. Janky means something else entirely. The Witcher's combat is quite different from that of Origins, so this is an odd comparison.

sad but rad

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
OK - First, I think I was too hard on the RPG point. I thought about this more and you can make a good case the game is an action RPG. Second, AC:O's stealth game play is different from other stealth games and that means some stealth gamers will not like it. I think it's fine not to but it's not "weak as fuck". Here is what I liked about it:

1) The eagle lets you fly over a base and see where the guards are. You can also mark the guards. Once marked, you always know where they are. This is a really cool feature.
2) The basic stealth gameplay is good. You sneak around bases, avoid detection, kill unaware guards, hide their bodies and repeat. You can backstab unaware guards. You can also kill them if they are below you (you jump on them and then quickly kill them).
3) It's possible to play as a stealth character. In AC 1, AC 2 and AC Brotherhood, it always felt like it was really hard to not get spotted. In this game, not getting spotted is a lot easier. You can hide in bushes, grass, closets, etc. You can also sneak up on guards by climbing up on roofs, ruins, etc. Finally, you have a fairly good chance of knowing if they are looking at you. This makes it a lot easier to play as a stealth character.
4) If you get caught, all of the guards don't get alerted. Only the guards near the guard that spotted you get alerted. If you are fast, you can kill them and then go back into stealth mode.
D) You can hide bodies so the guards didn't know you are in the base.
E) If you are caught, you can run and hide. Once you were hidden, you could go back to silently killing the guards.
F) The predator bows and hunters bow worked really well if you were not spotted. You can pick off enemies from a distance.
G) There were some useful stealth skills. For example, you can use darts to silently poison enemies or put them to sleep. You can also poison bodies so if they are found, the finder will get poisoned and slowly die.

AC:O's stealth game play isn't like most stealth games and it's not for everyone. AC:O doesn't play like Deus Ex (https://www.deusex.com/), Styx: Master of Shadows or Thief 4. I think it's fun and I also think a lot of people who like stealth games will like it.
The eagle mechanic makes shit too easy, opt not to use it if you're looking for any amount of challenge out of stealth. Also, I don't think the basic stealth gameplay is good at all, really, mostly because it's made entirely too easy for you. If you use that eagle, you know where everyone is, and if i'm recalling correctly, even through walls. I don't know of a good stealth game that has actually had that mechanic in any form.

AC1/2/B stealth was a bit harder, you had to play more carefully. Those games (minus AC1 with closets) had haystacks to hide in, crowds to blend into, you could buy courtesans as a moving form of crowd blending, you could take to the rooftops and plan from up there, and sometimes you could even go by water (obviously again, not in AC1). Stealth is hard, it's just a fact. See also why most of the best stealth games have quicksave built in so you can reload if you make a mistake or the game screws up somehow.

The predator bows are flat out stupid, can't you upgrade them so you can guide arrows because you're somehow egyptian jean grey? That's not good, that's making stuff easier on you. The things you're describing are quality of life things for the AI. Not the stealth. The stealth benefits from better AI, but that doesn't make the stealth good.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
the one inhouse ubisoft game this gen that wasnt a jank fest

the diff between this and origins is massive

Unity is janky as hell.

Not even:

Origins plays a ton better than TW3 by a large margin. The way you mix heavy attacks, light attacks, dodges, special moves and status effects, ranged attacks on top of the AC traversal, all of it feels really good. The game throws you right into the deep end and feels really weird at first, but once you get the hang of it everything clicks.

The problem is the enemies, even in higher difficulties they go down too easy and are easily exploited. I'm currently playing the Pharaoh DLC and I think the combat "shines" (even if with it's shortcomings) there against those "shadowly enemies".

They need to put more enemy type, and revamp their AI. I would say they should go all in with the mythical stuff, like Pharaoh DLC, it gives devs more options to create different encounters.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any AC has had good combat, but I did like the smooth and flashy looking moves from the previous games that featured actual assassins instead of warriors. It didn't feel particularly good either, but it looked good.

Oct 25, 2017
It felt better to me than Witcher tbh, but what drives me nuts is when shit just doesn't work like it should because of the awful levelling system. Like I really, really don't care that he's a higher level than me, shooting a dude square in the face with a predator arrow should be a kill. Come the fuck on.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The combat in Witcher 3 is alot better as well, AC Origins felt off in my experience and I hope it's something they improve in Odyssey.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Using bows is fine, rest is jank :D i just wish the game wouldn't require confirmed kills.

Some great sniper moments are sort of ruined as i have to sneak through the base anyways and go talk to the corpse.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't see the point of people saying it's way better than previous instalments at all. It's a fucking awful unfun system, and it looks somehow even worse in Odyssey.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I wouldn't really call Origins janky, just easy as shit and very cheeseable. It's basically Dark Souls-lite with a ton of invincibility thrown in so they can show off the pretty animations.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
My problem with the Witcher combat isnt jankyness (or at least, not the biggest problem).

The combat feels VERY repetitive, as in, there is a lot of enemy variaty in theory, but the way you fight every one of those enemies are the same, and the game doesnt force you or even push you to change your combat style.

Havent played origins, but everyone says its a big improvement over the other AC games in combat.

ComputerBlue

Oct 25, 2017
For an open world game, it controls way better than most.

Take a look at Witcher 3, Red Dead, and other heavy hitters, they control like shit compared to Origins.

When I think jank, I think Alpha Protocal, Two Worlds 2. AC Origins is NOT jank.

scrabble

Banned
May 8, 2018
I hope a future AC title returns to a Unity style of combat. The choreography and animations were so good to look at. Someone at ubisoft should watch The Duellists and try to convince the team to just try and emulate that.

Last edited:

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
The Witcher is just light/heavy sword slashing + 1 combo (light spinner move and heavy charge attack). All the magic, bombs, crossbow are just support abilities and your main damage will always come from the sword attacks. Things like horse-combat are so awkward they don't work in the game. The enemy variety is worse than AC:O, everyone from the simple thug, to guard, to the Wild Hunt fight the same way. The only advantage is the monsters, which are better than Lions/Crocs of the AC.

The weapon switching (2 melee, 2 range) alone made AC:O gameplay way more diverse and interesting than Witcher where your only choices was to slash your way through every single engagement: dodge -> slash slash slash -> dodge -> slash slash slash: everything from humans, to animals, to bosses. AC:O allowed you to choose whether it is a single target daggers, broad sweeps, going for headshots or simply barraging enemies with arrows all on the spot. And you could chain all of that kiting the enemies with the parkour system, because the enemies of the Witcher couldn't chase you up the platform. Lions didn't know how to climb, so you could even have a strategy for luring the enemies back onto the ground to get assaulted by a lion...

AC:O has everything for the setting: archery, stealth, horse combat, multiple weapons. You can actually plan the engagement instead of going through the MMO-style bands of wolves/bandits like in the Witcher. It is way more dynamic with weapon-switching enemies, environment hazards, roaming animals, reinforcements, bounty-hunters. If you didn't like the fast daggers, you can switch to the long-reach slow weapons, or a completely different combat approach.
Yeah, so this guy here doesn't know how to play The Witcher 3. You simply chose to ignore all of your other abilities which, for whatever reason, you didn't do with AC:O. What you should have been doing in Witcher 3 was prep with some potions (fast stamina regen, super speed, enhanced sign effects, etc.), open with a bomb to stun/freeze/burn everyone, jump in and slash a couple of times, cast Igni or Aard to put them all on fire or off balance again, slash a couple more times, and then maybe use another sign or bomb and finish off the rest. The Witcher 3 has great combat that flows very well as long as you use your tools to keep the enemies off balance (ie. can't block or interrupt you) and stunned. Of course, this changes a bit based on what your enemy is. You can't easily use this same approach on wraiths due to their teleportation nor on large enemies like golems who can't be easily stunned nor on nekkers who swarm such that you can't disable all of them simultaneously, etc. Yes, you can just swing and dodge, but that would be like playing AC:O the same way: possible to do but highly annoying and slow.

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Both games have a Souls-lite feel to me, which works fine for these types of games that have more systems and areas of focus.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Tpozebj.gif

If it doesn't look cool to you then you're doing it wrong.

That actually looks really bad to me, especially the clipping.
I was going to pick it up at gamestop used today but it was still 500 NOK (€50).. Might try it at a digital super sale.

I walked out with three used PS3 games though, Dantes Inferno, Ninja Gaiden Z and FFXIII + the mario tennis switch game I actually went down for :)

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Recently started playing this, I prefer it's combat to Witcher's.

I thought Witcher's was fine. Not good, but fine.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I hated the fact that I could jump 3 floors onto someones neck, stab them viciously in the throat and have them lose 1 HP if their level was too high.

Felt well too gamey.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Old AC combat is one if not the worst melee combat in games. The argument "at least it looks cool" is jarring. AC:O has hitbox based combat, no invincibility frames (like souls), shields/parry function and range and close combat is equally viable. Weapons are diverse and require different approaches. Archery is very good.
Only bad thing about ACOs combat is the lock on function being simply not elaborated enough.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
In what way is MGSV not a good stealth game?

The problem is the enemies, even in higher difficulties they go down too easy and are easily exploited. I'm currently playing the Pharaoh DLC and I think the combat "shines" (even if with it's shortcomings) there against those "shadowly enemies".

They need to put more enemy type, and revamp their AI. I would say they should go all in with the mythical stuff, like Pharaoh DLC, it gives devs more options to create different encounters.
More enemy types and better AI was a focus of Odyssey. As they said, Origin was the first step of a two part transition instead of full blown RPG. Odyssey even has a SoM enemy system where the phylake equivalents are procedurally generated.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My issues with AC: Origins were a bit different than Witcher 3. AC: Origins feels good to play, but there's not a lot of depth to the combat. It's a huge game, but what you're doing doesn't change that much so by hour 20 I was already growing bored of the gameplay loop, but there was much more game to go. There wasn't new things to uncover, or try to get better at it, what I was doing at hour 15 was going to be the same as what I was doing at hour 35. That tends to be my issue with open world games in general, as much as I love them. The gameplay doesn't have enough depth to support how much time they want me to spend in the world.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I love The Witcher 3 and AC Origins both, but I feel like you may be misunderstanding the complaints about The Witcher's combat if you think Origins falls into the same trap. People dislike the floaty feel of The Witcher 3, the way that animations don't always neatly correspond to player input. Origins doesn't have that problem at all. I feel like Origins lacks combat depth relative to The Witcher 3, but it definitely doesn't fall into the same problems with feel, at least not to the same degree.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fucking with you. I haven't played MGSV, nor do I ever plan to, because Kojima is wack. I doubt that the eagle and the binoculars work the exact same way, though.

Yeah it's not like the eagle at all. Might as well post a picture of Drake aiming at stuff in Uncharted 4.

The eagle in Origins is honestly one of the most clear examples of the incestuous relationships between several of Ubisoft's franchises. It's clearly the drone mechanic lifted verbatim from Ghost Recon. A drone in ancient Egypt. Like why.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm fucking with you. I haven't played MGSV, nor do I ever plan to, because Kojima is wack. I doubt that the eagle and the binoculars work the exact same way, though.
Both work the same way. You spot enemies and since they're marked you can see their movements even through walls. Spotting and tracking is pretty standard for stealth in this day and age.