• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Looking it up, the Trance system doesn't seem too different from DQXI's Zone mechanic, though that has the major benefit of persisting between fights. I can definitely see it being annoying without that.
Yeah the issue is the trance can pop on any random mob and you have to use it or lose it. You can't hold onto it for a boss like in 7.

On the flipside there are better ways of just dealing damage so the whole thing is kinda devalued to a point.

Last edited:

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
You definitely still should if you get a chance. The remaster is cheap and it's a brilliant game on its own. And we don't know anything about the remake other than rumors.

in a world where i have more time i already would have played it, but especially with the (rumored) promise of a remake on the horizon it's hard for me to justify the time, unless it's a FFVIIR situation where the timelines/universes may be different

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the issue is the trance can pop on any random mob and you have to use it or lose it. You can't hold onto it for a boss like in 7.
Some of the transformations might break the bosses if you could strategically preserve trances when it's convinent. I guess they could add trance crystals or some new mechanics that let you pause the meter but it's a gamble whether you're willing to sacrifice the gems or sell them for gil or the smitheries.

oty

Feb 28, 2023
ok so, ffxvi, ff7rebirth, ffxiv 7.0, ffix remake and ff tactics remaster. couldnt be a better time to be a ff fan rn

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
ok so, ffxvi, ff7rebirth, ffxiv 7.0, ffix remake and ff tactics remaster. couldnt be a better time to be a ff fan rn

Unless, of course, you want new games with turn-based mechanics, in which case Square kicks you in the crotch and smears a rotten banana in your eyes.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

*Raise hand*
I like Necron/Eternal Darkness tbh.

More of a thematic element than an actual character, it is a fitting end for a story that is so existential, particularly in the characters of Vivi, Zidane and Kuja. It doesn't take anything away from Trance Kuja's fight right before whatsoever. In fact, it adds to it, and the fight's ambiance is pretty cool too.

Necron is a great thematic finale to FF IX's message against nihilism. I had heard so much shit about the boss before playing, and once I got to the end, I was shocked, because it worked far better than I was lead to believe.

That being said, I know it's a relatively common opinion to dislike(or like less) the last disc of FF 9, and I love a lot of it, so might just be different strokes.

Kyusha

Jun 14, 2022
If 7, then why directly jump to 9 and not make 8 first? Is 8 this hated?
Hopefully this time 9 will have realstic character models instead of Chibi like FF7 did, cus chibi with very realstic graphics would look awkward if not scary.

they probably will do 8 after they end with 7 since it has realistic models, ix has "short" models making them look child like so it fits better for a quick cash grab

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I can see it being similar to Ever Crisis, minus the mobile and episodic aspect.

final_fantasy_vii_ever_crisis_teaser_trailer_0-47_screenshot.png
Not to beat a dead horse, but what I wouldn't give for a full remake of FF7 in this style. I'm looking forward to Ever Crisis, but I have a feeling it just won't be the same.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Ever Crisis looks alright, but not nearly as good as the original PSX games IMO.

You can tell they're ripping the environments from an existing game.

Edit: actually, I've seen some shots like the library scene and it looks quite good. Still, not as dense and detailed as I'd like a IX Remake to look like!

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
*Raise hand*

Necron is a great thematic finale to FF IX's message against nihilism. I had heard so much shit about the boss before playing, and once I got to the end, I was shocked, because it worked far better than I was lead to believe.

That being said, I know it's a relatively common opinion to dislike(or like less) the last disc of FF 9, and I love a lot of it, so might just be different strokes.
Last disc is essentially only the final dungeon. I guess you meant people who don't like the story towards the end when it moves to the Terra arc. I loved it all and the art design of Terra.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I hope they fix the combat. They delay between you choosing an attack and that attack actually happening in the original is insane, especially compared to 7/8 where it's basically instant.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
*Raise hand*

I don't even like FF9, it might be near the bottom of my FF rankings, but I agree Necron was great and very much fit the themes. And it's not like FF doesn't have plenty of precedent for last minute "the real big bad is actually...". It is almost a trademark of the classic games, which FF9 calls back to heavily. And 8 did it right before.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I'm happy people itt gets why Necron is cool. Hope the remake devs does too, if it's a third party doing it (Which is not exactly impossible).

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even like FF9, it might be near the bottom of my FF rankings, but I agree Necron was great and very much fit the themes. And it's not like FF doesn't have plenty of precedent for last minute "the real big bad is actually...". It is almost a trademark of the classic games, which FF9 calls back to heavily. And 8 did it right before.
Kuja is the big bad,
I just see Necron as a force he unleashes, Death, doomsday, he tries to commit suicide and tries to shatter the crystal of origin. He has a meltdown after learning about his limited genome life span and throws the fight, saying everything is pointless, so it makes sense he's not the final confrontation.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Kuja is the big bad,
I just see Necron as a force he unleashes, Death, doomsday, he tries to commit suicide and tries to shatter the crystal of origin. He has a meltdown after learning about his limited genome life span and throws the fight, saying everything is pointless, so it makes sense he's not the final confrontation.
I wasn't even convinced the Necron fight literally happened. I always just thought it worked as a metaphor for the characters coping with mortality and fear of death

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Huh? In what world is VIII more popular than IX? I have yet to see a poll where it ranks higher than IX. It sold more initially, but that's about it.
It used to be more popular and it sold more, but, yeah, IX's fanbase has only grown in the last fifteen years or so. People put off by its return to fantasy and the "kiddy" look grew up and realized it was one of the most maturely told stories in the series.

Zidane creeping on Garnet notwithstanding.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
IX sold pretty well considering the circumstances.

Not many games have to deal with a next gen entry taking all the hype the day you get announced

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Angie light theme?! Really?

There's a movie coming too. Don't ask, I don't know anything about it.

The game would be out if not for Covid, I heard it was going to hit next summer but that's up in the air now because of FF7 remake. It looks done and ready to release.

Oh that's exciting. I guess a release would probably come shortly after the announcement then.

Guess it makes sense though, feels like we've heard rumblings about it for quite a while.

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto

The game would be out if not for Covid, I heard it was going to hit next summer but that's up in the air now because of FF7 remake. It looks done and ready to release.
I could still see them doing this. If FF7 rebirth is Q1 I'm sure they'll have no problem releasing this Q3. Remember the 30 games they released in quick succession within the last year?

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Huh? The animated adaptation was aimed at 8-13 year olds, which is the same target audience as everything from Avatar: The Last Airbender and Star Wars Rebels to Maya and the Three, She-Ra... the DC Animated Universe etc... idk where this "pre-schooler" idea came from
Yeah their information was clearly misremembered but I knew what they were talking about.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, at this point this really looks like it's happening, and since FFIX is still one of my top three favorite video games of all time, I'm fairly excited.

I just want I'm A Hero Too or someone else who has seen this game to confirm if they're sticking with the same character designs as the original. I don't want them messed with too much: a light reworking at most. I definitely don't want them looking like the Dissidia version of Zidane.

All I've ever wanted from FFIXR is a version of the game that looks just like the FMV cutscenes front to back and makes pacing adjustments to combat, and I hope that's what we'll get.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

Does it look done and ready to release, or does it look at least 2 years away?

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Since Kitase mentioned a big thing (in reference to the series and not related to FF VII Remake) happening this year, I assume it'll be announced in the near future.

Maybe if Sony does another Showcase, dunno.

How will the original backgrounds stack up to the new game I wonder?

Because a Trials of Mana-like budget won't do that shit justice, you'd end up with cheap-looking copy-pasted assets all around.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I'm complaining, but I'm surprised Square jumped to IX before VIII, considering the popularity disparity between the two.

IX is more popular than VIII nowadays and has been for more than a decade.

Back during the PS3 days when Sony was publishing sales rankings for its PSN titles on the Playstation Blog, IX outsold VIII pretty much every month for at least three years.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
no way they are releasing ff7rebirth, ffxiv 7.0 and ffix remake all in the same year. right? 7.0 is for may/june

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Since Kitase mentioned a big thing (in reference to the series and not related to FF VII Remake) happening this year, I assume it'll be announced in the near future.

Maybe if Sony does another Showcase, dunno.

How will the original backgrounds stack up to the new game I wonder?

Because a Trials of Mana-like budget won't do that shit justice, you'd end up with cheap-looking copy-pasted assets all around.
I'm under the impression that IX is being done by the Dissidia team. If it looks like that, that's more than enough.