• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Paid timed exclusives are potentially going to make a mini comeback over the next 12 months, but...
Fuck Sony, for limiting availability, pushing for exclusion/division and adding more toxicity into gaming.
...without receipts is not a good look, especially on the back of Jez Corden speculation of all things, probably more toxic than the premise of this thread itself.

Google and Stadia are going to want your attention this year, they'll get it with moneyhats. That's who both PlayStation and xbox are going to have to see as competition in this regard.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
He likes to make "his choice of console" look better than the other consoles..

He is one of the best known fan-writers out there..

Wow! I can't be the only one who thinks that is totally uncalled for.

On the other hand I checked out joypad.dk...don't think Jez should lose much sleep over this "journalists" comments

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I don't even get what you're arguing.

They don't need third-party exclusives but it's obviously a good strategy.
Sony thinks they need them, that's the point. It worked back in 1994 and it still works today. We don't need to assume, we can indeed use history.

what?...Sony has always valued their exclusives more then Microsoft...it's not even close...MS is the one who over-values the hardware
I agree Sony values exclusives more, that's why they are more aggressive in attaining them and were the last to fully support crossplay with consoles. Some of Microsoft's games are even on Steam. Microsoft wants you to play the games regardless of the platform they are on (also on PC). How do you over-value hardware if they are promoting cross-gen gaming?

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

He has me blocked on Twitter.. I think it was after pointing out how colored one of his "articles" about The Outer Worlds was.

""If you aren't playing this game on PC, be sure to check it out on Xbox One X, as it promises to be the best experience from a performance standpoint. It's always great to see developers taking advantage of the additional power, even if PS4 Pro users see none of that benefit."

he ran some news about the game only seeing enhancements on Xbox One X.. which wasn't really correct..

and I almost forgot my tag.. I haven't been writing for that site (in my tag) in almost a year.. I have taken a year off, and will maybe return with a new site soon.. but how do one get that tag removed?

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
He has me blocked on Twitter.. I think it was after pointing out how colored one of his "articles" about The Outer Worlds was.

he ran some news about the game only seeing enhancements on Xbox One X.. which wasn't really correct..

and I almost forgot my tag.. I haven't been writing for that site (in my tag) in almost a year.. I have taken a year off, and will maybe return with a new site soon.. but how do one get that tag removed?

Yikes, man Windowscentral is absolute turd of a website.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sony thinks they need them, that's the point. It worked back in 1994 and it still works today. We don't need to assume, we can indeed use history.

I agree Sony values exclusives more, that's why they are more aggressive in attaining them and were the last to fully support crossplay with consoles. Some of Microsoft's games are even on Steam. Microsoft wants you to play the games regardless of the platform they are on (also on PC). How do you over-value hardware if they are promoting cross-gen gaming?
Both of them are doing something similar.

Xbox is getting medium and scorn and so on and they also release on pc .just not ps5

Ps is getting death loop and tokyo ghost and so on , they also release it on pc .just not xsx .

I dont see whats so different. Both want to give their players value and it always works (whether we like it or not its the nature of the beast )

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Sony is recently doing this a lot with big publishers. Very different from indies with limited resources. I won't support these type of deals with my wallet.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
While i dont think this is true (not the best track record from what i see)

Would anybody be surprised?

Big games are getting bigger and bigger in production cost and scope. We have seen the decrease in output from generation to generation. And while microsoft bought a couple studios in anticipation of next gen (i would argue they should have for last gen, but who am i), sony did not as far as i know? maybe they missed it, maybe they think they have enough, maybe some deals did not go through...
In the end, without third party exclusives they could have a problem by not having enough exclusives.

Are exclusives good? no, not a fan, but from a platform holder perspective: they are the only thing that people really bring to you. Honestly, if there werent exclusives, way more people would play on pc, or just choose the cheaper console. (depending on wether graphics mather a lot to you or not)
So yeah, it would make absolutely sense for them. I expect a view of them to be timed exclusives (as FF7), with some to be like Bloodborne (you see,they already did that this gen)

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Both of them are doing something similar.

Xbox is getting medium and scorn and so on and they also release on pc .just not ps5

Ps is getting death loop and tokyo ghost and so on , they also release it on pc .just not xsx .

I dont see whats so different. Both want to give their players value and it always works (whether we like it or not its the nature of the beast )
I guess to me the big difference is Sony goes after the bigger publishers like Square-Enix and now Bethesda. They know titles like FFVII Remake have greater awareness and that is what Sony wants.

The other problem I foresee is another situation where the big get bigger. Sony is already dominating and this will just lead to more of that. Is that really a good thing in the end to have that much control in the marketplace?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
If that's the reasoning, wouldn't it be better if it was exclusive on Series X?
Only if you care about largely imperceptible resolution differences.

It could end up being a superfluous decision given the first-party content they've ensured for the first year. The third-party games they've secured for PS5 so far are not even close to the likes of GTA III and FFVII in terms of impact, though I suppose if securing third-party exclusives helps them the way they intend, it will end up having been necessary. Still, I can see it being tricky to go back and measure what the impact is though, given they are doing more than just moneyhattting to ensure that PS5 uptake is unprecedented.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
What's the difference between buying third party exclusives and straight up buying studios? For us consumers the end result is pretty much the same: In both instances we don't get the choice which platform to play a game on.

So either, we are against platform exclusivity as a whole or we accept it as part of the business and end up in the crossfire.

From a consumers point of view, I really don't see how you can criticize just one or the other.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I guess to me the big difference is Sony goes after the bigger publishers like Square-Enix and now Bethesda. They know titles like FFVII Remake have greater awareness and that is what Sony wants.

The other problem I foresee is another situation where the big get bigger. Sony is already dominating and this will just lead to more of that. Is that really a good thing in the end to have that much control in the marketplace?
The title each choose is rather personal i guess. I m sure many like scorn over Tokyo ghost and vice versa.

Next gen both will be neck and neck and sony knows that(in UK and USA).thats why they r trying to promote their console . If they were so sure of dominance they wouldn't bother imo

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
yeah except one is an actual journalist, the other is some random who used to write for a website that looks like it was made from an old geocities template.
99724c6886ff36aa6d0fcef4e35ccb41.gif

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Hope it's bullshit because this kind of nonsense ruins this great hobby. I rather have this shit not happen at all, but if they so badly must with one big third party game just keep it at one. Fuck!

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's been 30 minutes since the OP was updated. I suggest maybe updating the title if it isn't accurate.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
look I get that if Sony is partially or wholly funding the project then it's understandable why that 3rd party project would be exclusive but games like Ghostwire Tokyo really don't need exclusivity deals. it's just limits your games reach to even larger audiences.

Draconian

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Third party exclusives are just annoying and pointless at this point, but netting exclusivity with another Final Fantasy is pretty much the one thing that'll get me to definitely pick up a PS5 in favor of the Xbox Series X this winter, so they know what they're doing. Just wish they didn't.

You just proved why they exist in the same sentence you called them pointless.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
What's the difference between buying third party exclusives and straight up buying studios? For us consumers the end result is pretty much the same: In both instances we don't get the choice which platform to play a game on.

So either, we are against platform exclusivity as a whole or we accept it as part of the business and end up in the crossfire.

From a consumers point of view, I really don't see how you can criticize just one or the other.
Most of those studios that were acquired wanted stability. Why does Sqaure-Enix need Sony to sell FFVII Remake for example or why Microsoft and now Sony need to pay for timed exclusive maps on titles like Call of Duty?

Most would agree Bayonetta 2 likely would never have happened without Nintendo. Tomb Raider for example was going to come regardless. All exclsuivity is designed with one intent, to exclude others, but there is a degree of acception more than others if you will.

The title each choose is rather personal i guess. I m sure many like scorn over Tokyo ghost and vice versa.

Next gen both will be neck and neck and sony knows that(in UK and USA).thats why they r trying to promote their console . If they were so sure of dominance they wouldn't bother imo

They are just trying to reassure their dominace. Price is still going to be the biggest obstacle.

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
If they're AAA then you know that's bullshit. Capcom could have made Street Fighter 5 without Sony, they had the finances to do it.

Here's some context for SFV exclusivity and why it's not similar at all to Tomb Raider. If you're angry at Sony for SFV, you should also be angry at MS for Dead Rising 3.

Just FYI, but these aren't the same situations at all.

Capcom was in pretty dire financial trouble coming into current-gen and they were looking for a partner on Street Fighter V in order to get the game produced much faster than originally intended. They also needed marketing help and were also looking to partner with one of the console manufacturers for official tournaments and the like. This deal also spun off into other deals to cover things like porting Super Street Fighter 4 and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 marketing.

Sony stepped up to the plate and agreed to cover a lot of the marketing costs, promised visibility on the game from a marketing perspective (yearly tournaments would be held at PSX) and the cash injection allowed Capcom to move up the release date of the game and get it done on time and on budget. Saying Street Fighter V would have still come out is factually true, but it would have likely come out in 2017 or even 2018.

The closest comparable to this situation is in fact, not Rise of the Tomb Raider, but Dead Rising, which Capcom also sought a similar deal for because of their financial hardships and Microsoft stepped up to the plate and helped them there. Dead Rising was still planned to come out, at some point, but the cash injection from Microsoft helped Capcom move up the timeline and secure a bigger team and marketing they wouldn't have had otherwise, much like Street Fighter.

Dead Rising and Street Fighter V are two opposite sides of a coin and much better comparison points.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is a completely different situation, both what has been said publically and what happened behind closed doors, as the game was already announced to be multi-platform prior to its reveal and then Square-Enix made a money calculation that their game would be more profitable if they signed a year exclusivity deal since Microsoft offered one. The game did benefit from marketing support and Microsoft internal engine support, but from what I know of the project, it did not speed up development in a massive way except that the focus was shifted to fewer platforms. SE still had Sony builds playable along the way they'd use to sanity check and make sure nothing crazy was going on. In comparison to Street Fighter V, which as far as I know, never had multiple playable Xbox builds (I'm not even sure if it ever had a playable Xbox build period).

So as you can see, those two games are not even remotely comparable.

As for the discussion about moneyhats: I think both console makers are going to shift their moneyhat focus to indie games/smaller tier developers, as netting those big marquee exclusives takes way too much money. The marketing investment is also substantial, as a deals like Call of Duty has costed both Microsoft and Sony quite a bit of money because marketing is so expensive.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
look I get that if Sony is partially or wholly funding the project then it's understandable why that 3rd party project would be exclusive but games like Ghostwire Tokyo really don't need exclusivity deals. it's just limits your games reach to even larger audiences.
Multiple Bethesda games have bombed recently (except Doom) so it makes sense why they wanted to lower the financial risk while getting PS marketing.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Wow! I can't be the only one who thinks that is totally uncalled for.

On the other hand I checked out joypad.dk...don't think Jez should lose much sleep over this "journalists" comments

Jez lost all credibility when he started trying to spread those fake rumours about PS5 production being disastrous, devs moaning because it was so hard to develop for and with the thing having overheating problems...this bullshit it turned out was total fanfiction and the original source was a comment on an article by a fanboy trying to spread FUD....

Yeah, no one should take Jez Corden seriously at all.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Isn't Switch selling tons? More than PS4 actually

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Call of duty obvious choice
As a timed exclusive game? That would be very expensive.

Well, buying studios is different, because these studios can expand with the money and delivere better games. They also gain access to the family of first party studios and have a better marketing department behind them. They also don't need to waste a lot of time securing s publisher. Employess have more safety at a big publisher than working for a indie, which may or may not be able to pay developers after a game failed financially. Then developers get access to a stable of IP, which they may or may not work on.

Money hatting takes away profit from the studio, if the game would've been successful on other plattforms. They sometimes get help, but not as much as they would being a first party studios. If the game fails, despite the extra money thanks to moneyhatting the studio is at risk. Nobody is switching to a new office, hire hundreds of top tier developers and has a bigger budget thanks to moneyhatting exclusive. But these and other benefits exist when you join a big publisher. So even as a consumer it's different, because the chance of more or better games are higher.

I think Insomniac, Playground Games, ... many others joining Sony or Microsoft was a good decision and if you follow what they said about the benefits and how they expanded, you see the benefits for consumers compared to one time money for moneyhatting.

Last edited:

JED BARTLETT

Oct 27, 2017
Belfast
First things first I'm pretty sure Jez Corden knows no more about Sony's plans than anyone else. But let's say for a second it's true, Microsoft have been saying they're not competing with PS5, they see theme selves in the service business now hence Gamepass. Maybe this is just some devs seeing what makes the most money, Gamepass is great yeah no doubt but it's going to change the gaming landscape.
Some cash from Sony plus the assumed bigger install base then six months down the line take a deal with Microsoft to put it on Gamepass.
Seems like a reasonable strategy to me.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
If that's the reasoning, wouldn't it be better if it was exclusive on Series X?
Pretty much everywhere I read say xbox strength will lead to higher resolution or framerate, which is boring. You already can imagine what xbox strength will bring. Ps5 strength will be SSD speed and I still don't know how that will effect the game other than dimension hoping like in Ratchet and Clank. So yeah, it's more exciting to see what dev can do with ps5 ssd speed

Status
Not open for further replies.