• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Damning evidence that their GPU offering just isn't up to scratch. Hardly any value to be had at most price points.

Also: DLSS.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised. People love Nvidia GPUs so much it feels like a cult

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's probably not going to change until AMD has something on par with DLSS either. There's too much "free" extra performance in Nvidia's cards to ignore.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part of the problem is that AMD has more profitable products to make in their CPUs and APUs. Gpu dies are fucking big and AMD can make way more cpus than gpus on the same wafer

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
The Tustin Microcenter community has been keeping track of GPU stock for months, and nVidia cards are selling more at the rate of 9:1.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Weird considering AMD cards up until recently were hard to find. Did they not have any stock for their cards to be sold out, and yet fail to gain any market share?

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
Weird considering AMD cards up until recently were hard to find. Did they not have any stock for their cards to be sold out, and yet fail to gain any market share?
Like people wrote it's just that if they have a limited number of lines it's more convenient for them to make cpus instead of gpus

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmmmmmmmm, although they have been separated by quite a few months at release, an RTX 3090's overall sale in comparison to RNDA2 whole lineup sales is quite a bad look.

NVIDIA also offers quite a lot on the software front (regarding gaming etc.) and I also won't buy AMD due to their limited capabilities on the GPGPU processing front (where is rdna2 support xd).

Hoping RDNA3 turns things around ;p.

edit: misremembering the release dates xd

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The Tustin Microcenter community has been keeping track of GPU stock for months, and nVidia cards are selling more at the rate of 9:1.
Yeah, number are between 14:1 to 9:1. Not bueno for AMD on the GPU market.

The only thing AMD doesn't offer is the tensor core. And dlss limited to two generations gpu

Other than that than that, RTX 30 series has been a mess
"The only thing AMD doesn't offer is the main reason people will want to shell out 300$ on a videogame card"

When you are trying to sell a product and you are the underdog you either need to severely undercut your competitor (which AMD cant do because Nvidia priced the 30x0 gen in a way AMD cant do that), or offer a better service.
Most users that will shell out 300$ will rather spend 10 extra bucks to get tensor cores for better shiny thing because the upgrade seems worth it.

Also, the RTX 30 series hasnt really been a mess outside of stock problems... which AMD somehow did worse on.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
The only thing AMD doesn't offer is the tensor core. And dlss limited to two generations gpu

Other than that than that, RTX 30 series has been a mess
Yet AMD's RT performance is STILL way behind and their answer to DLSS is weak.

I'm not saying the RTX 30XX series is amazing, just that AMDs current offerings are still far more unappealing at pretty much all price points.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Just to be clear, AMD are selling every card they make, and RDNA2 is a killer step in the right direction. I'm happy with my 6900xt but the volume just isn't there to support more sales.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing AMD doesn't offer is the tensor core

AMD cards also don't have RT cores, they have a "raytracing accelerator" to speed up BVH traversal which eats up available CUs.

AMD's answer to DLSS has one major advantage over DLSS at the moment: FSR can be automatically enabled in any DirectX 9, 10, 11, or 12 game right now without any work by the developer, on way more cards, while DLSS must be explicitly supported on a game-by-game basis by the developer and is limited to just high end Nvidia cards.

But that doesn't necessarily help the sale of AMD cards, since you can also use FSR on older Nvidia cards.

Zombegoast

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
mess, how?

I have zero complaints about my 3080.

I'm not saying the RTX 30XX series is amazing, just that AMDs current offerings are still far more unappealing at pretty much all price points.
Yeah, number are between 14:1 to 9:1. Not bueno for AMD on the GPU market.

"The only thing AMD doesn't offer is the main reason people will want to shell out 300$ on a videogame card"

When you are trying to sell a product and you are the underdog you either need to severely undercut your competitor (which AMD cant do because Nvidia priced the 30x0 gen in a way AMD cant do that), or offer a better service.
Most users that will shell out 300$ will rather spend 10 extra bucks to get tensor cores for better shiny thing because the upgrade seems worth it.

Also, the RTX 30 series hasnt really been a mess outside of stock problems... which AMD somehow did worse on.

Are we going to ignore the ti series? How instead didn't add more VRAM on the 3070 ti and cost more and performance worse than the 6800? Or the ludicrous price spike of the 3080 ti and being overall worse than the 6900xt?

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are we going to ignore the ti series? How instead didn't add more VRAM on the 3070 ti and cost more and performance worse than the 6800? Or the ludicrous price spike of the 3080 ti and being overall worse than the 6900xt?
Doesn't make it anything less than the huge success, sales wise and performance wise, the series has been.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017

How is the 3080Ti worse than 6900xt outside of price?
At sub 4k, maybe?

Mercury_Sagit

Aug 4, 2020
With the huge VRAM, is RTX 3090's demand mainly driven by computing rather than gaming? Anecdotally, I have observed some people in my local Facebook group looking to buy this card for AI/ML processing at the level of small enterprises and research centers rather than using cloud services.
I'd imagine that some of the RTX 3090s appearing in the Steam hardware survey are actually from companies/institutions and were "tested" by their IT departments lol.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
The 290X outperformed the GTX 780 by quite a bit and undercut it by about $200, but the 780 massively outsold the 290X anyway, so none of this is surprising. People say they want AMD to provide competition but when they do, they don't buy their cards.

For years they offered almost as good cards for significantly less money and nobody bought th anyway, so I'm also not surprised AMD "no longer wishes to be the budget option".

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is buying 3090 for gaming. It's for creators, who use it to make money.
Consoles are just for entertainment.
Even then, the 3090 is nerfed for creators when compared to previous Titans as it doesnt have the most important with the pro drivers.
The 290X outperformed the GTX 780 by quite a bit and undercut it by about $200, but the 780 massively outsold the 290X anyway, so none of this is surprising. People say they want AMD to provide competition but when they do, they don't buy their cards.

For years they offered almost as good cards for significantly less money and nobody bought th anyway, so I'm also not surprised AMD "no longer wishes to be the budget option".
wasn't the 290x also pretty famous for having driver issues?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
RDNA2 is (or at least was up until summer or so) a lot more supply constrained than Ampere which is also why Nv went with Samsung in the first place.
It would be really obvious if not for miners, and would reflect in street pricing too.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
From the 7970 until this gen they didnt offer anywhere close to almost as good cards. Both features and performance were lacking.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
While interesting, it is also important to note what is inherent about Steam Surveys; that they are are volunteer surveys and not raw sales figures( or even randomly sampled polling). So while it can be interesting to discuss, it should be done while keeping aware of the limitations of the source of information.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Not particularly meaningful IMO. AMD has probably been focusing primarily on CPUs and the console APUs. They're still selling above MSRP and aren't readily available.

That being said, yeah DLSS makes the purchasing an AMD CPU for gaming an unattractive proposition.

EDIT: To clarify, it is meaningful that AMD is currently getting swamped in the GPU market, but at the same time it's not particularly surprising for a multitude of reasons, including the fact that it just doesn't seem to be a priority for AMD at the moment, and it was already known by anyone who has been following the GPU market so this information is not particularly enlightening.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
With DLSS I reckon a 3090 would last someone a LONG damn time. I've been 5 years on a 1070 and it's only now starting to get long in the tooth and I don't have DLSS to extend that. A higher end card with DLSS might last even longer than 5 years?

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
From the 7970 until this gen they didnt offer anywhere close to almost as good cards. Both features and performance were lacking.
They didn't offer cards at the ultra high end, in every other tier they did, featuring much the same performance for cheaper. Feature parity wasn't really a problem anyone was thinking of until RTX came along. Yeah you had things like Hairworks but much of that was very obscure improvements that didn't do much at all.

As pointed out elsewhere, AMD likely isn't bothered much by the statistic anyway seeing as they have to divide manufacturing time and resources between CPU and GPU and the former is far cheaper and more profitable to focus on.

Oct 25, 2017
This just tells us that they haven't been manufacturing as many cards as Nvidia. It's not like AMD cards are sitting on store shelves because they don't have DLSS. There just aren't any cards around.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I'm happy with my 6700XT but most of the discussion I see online is for the new Nvidia cards so that's not surprising.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
I'm under the impression AMD cards are as hard to buy as NVidia cards, so, maybe not a question of people not buying them this time.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
The hype is with Nvidia, AMD went into a good direction with RDNA 2 but is still not there yet. At the same pricepoint, Nvidia offering is better with a better ecosystem around it : dlss, nvidia broadcast and so on.

RDNA 2 is only better when not using ray tracing, and if the GPU is at the same price than Nvidia.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
But who are the bigger customers?

Gamers or miners?

Many miners buy whatever card they can find, slap it inside a case or screw it onto a rig, and forget it exists.

I mean, sure, Nvidia and AMD don't care who buys their stuff, but it doesn't help gamers or developers if nobody can figure out which way the gaming market is going with hardware being in short supply, partially due to non-gaming uses.

Last edited:

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I wanted to give AMD a chance this generation, but my 5700 (non-XT) was an absolute miserable experience for months with near daily crashes to desktop and/or outright full system crashes, and it took FOREVER for AMD to finally fix it, after various driver updates over a number of months claiming to "fix" the problem never fixed the problem.

I don't know if the driver situation in Linux is any better, but on Windows they are (were) atrocious.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

Zen 2 and Zen 3 have proved that AMD is capable of providing competition that users actually want and buy , hence their massive success in that sector. Their GPU offering is simply not there yet, both capability and stock.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
AMD GPU's are just not worth it at the moment, they price matched Nvidia while offering worse features & performance in RT games, also their drivers & software suite are lacking as well.
I was talking to a guy yesterday at one of my local stores, they cannot hold Nvidia GPU's for long & the lower end ones, as in 3060/3070, fly off the shelves, while the AMD stock is just kinda sitting there & they don't need to order more in.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
what I get from this is rather the fact that Nvidia knows that they can now sell GPUs way over recent MSRPs.
The RTX 40xx series will cost a fortune. Idk if I will continue with PC gaming if it stays that way and my 2070 is not enough anymore.