Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
They really should to bring the cost down, I have a launch Series X and have no idea if the drive works as I've never offered any media in it.

I'm still unclear what happened to the streaming stick as a cheap entry

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
An XSXL for holiday 2025 will do worse than the Xbox One X did based on the way the XS is selling. And that only lasted 2.5 years before being discontinued. Not sure it would be worth it and they should just wait for next gen plans

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I wouldn't say it's entirely duh, right now the suggestion is that Xbox might not be doing a Pro. I would guess that 2025 would be a Pro though.

JMS

Jul 22, 2022
A (cheaper) series X digital always made more sense than a series S, no?

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
If they price the Series X DE at $399 they would need to drop the price of the S too for it to make sense. And it seems like they are still not breaking even.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
A (cheaper) series X digital always made more sense than a series S, no?

It sure as shit makes more sense than raising the price of the series s now that's for sure. The series s is a great machine for getting folks into next gen who are priced out of it otherwise, raising its price seems so fucking stupid and I don't know what they're expecting to happen.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 month): Continued platform warring, long history of similar behavior
Xbox hardware team is getting outclassed by Sony and specifically Mark Cerny's design decisions. There's no way around it. Feels like they are constantly 2-3 steps behind. I do think a digital xsx is probably happening.

Edit: From being squeezed from a value position with a cheaper digital ps5 and the fact that manufacturing costs are higher than the ps5 with no major power difference point to that while being able to easily manufacture more units. Xsx is a great pure engineering product but Sony made better decisions from an engineering and market balance perspective.

Last edited:

AllBizness

Mar 22, 2020
I doubt they'd do a 3rd sku unless that 2025 device is not a console but some sort of dongle for Gamepass or something.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
You know what would be cool? A Series S physical. I know it makes no sense for them, but it'd be such a cool Xbox BC machine.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
They're also looking into adding haptics and gyro to their controllers. See how these predictions go?

This is a guess anyone could make. It's says nothing about MS's actual hardware plans.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like BS.

Doubt this guy knows anything especially as far as hardware in 2025

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
They aren't gonna have a console priced at 399 that's Uber powerful and then have another for 350 that's significantly weaker.

Given what we know in regard to manufacturing cost for MS not really dropping, hard to believe this unless something changes in the near future.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
They'd better do something about the abysmal storage if they do an X digital. 512g/1t ain't gonna cut it.

Oct 30, 2017
Digital Series X option seems like a no brainer to offer a low cost option to gamers.

I wonder if they plan to release a pro model in 2025 that outperforms the PS5 Pro that releases in 2024.

Oct 30, 2017
If they price the Series X DE at $399 they would need to drop the price of the S too for it to make sense. And it seems like they are still not breaking even.
They've got time to drop the price. I could see the SS being offered for $299 or lower with a bundled controller or software to still entice price sensitive customers.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, but this is console wars nonsense.
stop thinking everything is console warriors. It's a fact. From being squeezed from a value position with a cheaper digital ps5 and the fact that manufacturing costs are higher than the ps5 with no major power difference point to that while being able to easily manufacture more units. Xsx is a great pure engineering product but Sony made better decisions from an engineering and market balance perspective.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
If the series X has a internal re-design (honestly just the Series S design but a bigger) then I can also seen them going to the 6nm node.
The series X design is a engineering achievement, but I think it also is very costly to produce and assemble, so I imagine that's a good argument for a digital edition (combined with a lower price).

Although, seeing a ~150 gap between a Series S and X is going to be interesting and I'm curious if the Series S 1TB will have a different internal design + ~6nm node chip. I think that could be the first hint of confirming whether this is going to be true.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I feel like thats a weird situation.
Theres already indications MS are looking to softly increase Series S's pricing with the new 1TB sku (which is still digital only). So what theyll have an X sku that is only $50 more than the S 1TB, but have a far better GPU and memory set up?
Also if the reports are true, making this many skus imo will feel like a slightly outdated solution by the time that happens with the rumored unified PS5 sku with disc drive attachment slot.

Jul 2, 2021
I see Shpeshal Nick heard the rumors about the PS5 Pro in 2024 and so he thought he needs to make up a story about "new Xbox hardware in 2025".

Copilot

Jun 27, 2023
They should launch a full next-gen console by 2025 holidays.

A brand new machine, somewhat more powerfull than the Playstation 5 Pro, good hardware upscaling DLSS like system, U$499,90. Full BC. Best versions of third party games.

Some launch games:

- Call of Duty.
- Perfect Dark.
- Forza Horizon Reboot.
- State of Decay 3.
- Gears 6.
- Wolfenstein 3.
- The Evil Within 3.

Oct 30, 2017
stop thinking everything is console warriors. It's a fact
Sony being in a better market position certainly helped.

With PS5 demand being so high, there was certainly no need to try to tap the price sensitive market. PS5s sold for a fat markup.

One console and economies of scale really let the PS5 flourish in comparison to the Xbox Series. They were able to sort their demand issues while the SX was finding itself supply constrained despite lower demand.

The SX is a pretty powerful piece of hardware that is well made. Their strategy of dual console offerings just has some significant drawbacks.

P30

May 23, 2022
Xbox hardware team is getting outclassed by Sony and specifically Mark Cerny's design decisions. There's no way around it. Feels like they are constantly 2-3 steps behind. I do think a digital xsx is probably happening.
MS hardware team created a more powerful console with a better cooling solution in a smaller form factor which is also much more reliable. And You call that getting outclassed?

Yoga Flame

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 8, 2022
Love Xbox Era but can't take Nick seriously.

Wat? They made a smaller, more powerful machine at similar price (cheaper for a long time). How have they been outclassed??

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
I feel like thats a weird situation.
Theres already indications MS are looking to softly increase Series S's pricing with the new 1TB sku (which is still digital only). So what theyll have an X sku that is only $50 more than the S 1TB, but have a far better GPU and memory set up?
Also if the reports are true, making this many skus imo will feel like a slightly outdated solution by the time that happens with the rumored unified PS5 sku with disc drive attachment slot.
I could see the $350 XSS price being dropped in less than a year. I feel like the current price is to kinda take advantage of the Starfield launch and it will eventually replace the XSS 512GB at $300 or less by the time an XSX redesign releases (both digital and disk version). Considering the X1S redesign came ~45 months after the X1 release, I would expect something similar with the XSX this time around.

Oct 30, 2017
They should launch a full next-gen console by 2025 holidays.

A brand new machine, somewhat more powerfull than the Playstation 5 Pro, good hardware upscaling DLSS like system, U$499,90. Full BC. Best versions of third party games.

Some launch games:

- Call of Duty.
- Perfect Dark.
- Forza Horizon Reboot.
- State of Decay 3.
- Gears 6.
- Wolfenstein 3.
- The Evil Within 3.

I don't really see how this does anything.
It's effectively going to function like a Series X pro at that point.

All of those games would end up being cross gen, anyway. So the improvements over the SS and SX versions would just be marginal, anyway.

However, it would certainly make SS and SX owners wonder if they will still be getting support in 2026 and beyond.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
As a Series S owner, I would like a low-cost way to upgrade to an X, but getting the drive would be one of my reasons for upgrading. I hope they can find another way to do a cheaper X.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
MS hardware team created a more powerful console with a better cooling solution in a smaller form factor which is also much more reliable. And You call that getting outclassed?

What multi platform games are taking advantage of the power gap? The power gap is minimal at best. Sony made a console that is easier to reproduce which is why they have less stock issues than series x

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I think they ultimately need to get the S price into the 200 range, that'll open things up for having properly differentiated/priced SKUs on the higher end.

Curious why we haven't seen much movement there, I wonder if they didn't see value in going to 6nm and decided to wait for 4nm or 5nm?

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
They really should to bring the cost down, I have a launch Series X and have no idea if the drive works as I've never offered any media in it.
This is wild, because the drive slot on Series X is, in fact, purely cosmetic. Don't put anything in it unless you don't want it back.
I'm with you, I never buy discs anymore.