• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
My instinct is to buy the switch version to play off TV but my wife only has a PS4. Idk if she will replay these but I never finished 2 or played 3 at all.

I DO have DS copies but would rather have them on a modern platform

Trophies sound great so it's basically:

PS4 (Trophies/second digital copy for wife) vs Switch (no trophies but portable play)

I do have a bit of a complex where I tend to play switch only when I don't have access to our main TV, which is flawed I know, but when I have the main TV I tend to play PS4 because it's available only during those times

Sony, make a PS4 Switch stat!

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It really sucks, and I know I'm only one person but, not having the budget for this when I plan to buy it on Switch AND PS4 to send a message to Capcom that we want more is just... :S

I love this franchise and I want to be there for it.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Played about an hour. This is probably my 5th playthrough or so of the original trilogy. I don't think I can go back to the DS versions. I'm really enjoying the art and how big and clean it looks on the handheld screen, and I loathed the mobile graphics. It does feel like they put time and effort into hand-drawing/touching up a lot of them rather than having a janky algorithm do it. I think the animations (and especially when the camera swivels from one side of the court to the other) translate really well here. The only QoL feature I'm surprised they didn't add is a text log, but aside from that, this is the definitive version moving forward for me.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Played about an hour. This is probably my 5th playthrough or so of the original trilogy. I don't think I can go back to the DS versions. I'm really enjoying the art and how big and clean it looks on the handheld screen, and I loathed the mobile graphics. It does feel like they put time and effort into hand-drawing/touching up a lot of them rather than having a janky algorithm do it. I think the animations (and especially when the camera swivels from one side of the court to the other) translate really well here. The only QoL feature I'm surprised they didn't add is a text log, but aside from that, this is the definitive version moving forward for me.
A text log would have been really appreciated!

ill wait for physical release on ps4, it has to happen eventually right?
😕

Though you can import from Japan. That supports the English version of the game.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
ill wait for physical release on ps4, it has to happen eventually right?
It's not. It's Capcom and we're gonna have to be unexpectedly supportive in high numbers of players who purchase it to make it happen.

They used to release physical copies when they originally localized the first 5 games for DS, then they stopped when they released the first game for 3DS.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Oh man. I was thinking about getting this because I haven't played any of them before but every VN or game like Danganronpa I've played, I relied on going back and reading the log a lot. Hmmmm I don't know if it's a dealbreaker.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Without spoiling, and I apologise if it's been asked;

Is each case linear, like Danganronpa, or is it multi-threaded like the Nonary Games?

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Without spoiling, and I apologise if it's been asked;

Is each case linear, like Danganronpa, or is it multi-threaded like the Nonary Games?

Linear, but there's a specific case in the second game you can kinda unlock a Bad Ending but it's a very easy thing and you'll see it when the decision time comes.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man. I was thinking about getting this because I haven't played any of them before but every VN or game like Danganronpa I've played, I relied on going back and reading the log a lot. Hmmmm I don't know if it's a dealbreaker.
By the nature of the game, you can repeat any testimony at the current stage you're at or most NPC dialogue in the adventure sections. It's not like Danganronpa where they say something useful and then subsequent text is just generic placeholder. But yes, you do lose testimony text from any previous stages.

I wouldn't consider it a dealbreaker, but if you enjoyed Danganronpa, you owe it to yourself to play AA.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
This is awesome, I woke up late for work cause I was playing till 4:30AM
Now where the hell are my Dangonronpa and Zero Escape Trilogies? It shouldn't have taken this long

Koppai

Oct 25, 2017
Ace Attorney games don't get physical releases outside of Japan anymore. Crapcom. I imported Okami and now this.

Deleted member 21601

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just got the it for Switch! Finished the first Case and I love this version so far! Played the old games on DS. Still one of my favorite games ever.

Raggie

Oct 16, 2018
I wish people would stop calling these visual novels and start calling them what they are: adventure games, same vein as Monkey Island and the like. It's misleading to call them visual novels when they are very much games. I know a lot of text-heavy games with FP perspective get to be called visual novels, but I wish the term would be left for the actual visual novels which I wouldn't even call games.

Dec 5, 2017
I wish people would stop calling these visual novels and start calling them what they are: adventure games, same vein as Monkey Island and the like. It's misleading to call them visual novels when they are very much games. I know a lot of text-heavy games with FP perspective get to be called visual novels, but I wish the term would be left for the actual visual novels which I wouldn't even call games.

This seems really elitist of you to declare visual novels aren't games.

Toybasher

Nov 21, 2017
I did an analysis of the switch version here, comparing it to DS / iOS:

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

So the text box blocks the artwork, but there's a "text box" thing in the options. Any idea what that setting changes and if it makes it more transparent like the DS games?

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought it! It's no Danganronpa and I remember all the culprits but I love this series.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed the JP physical a while back for Switch as I love the DS releases.
I really, really like this version.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
I love the original spritework on GBA/DS to death, so I was quite surprised how well the HD art works for me once I got over the fact that, well, no, this is not pixel art any more. IMHO it's simple but consistent and pleasant and just as expressive as the original.

Combined with the snappy UI that not only highlights hotspots when you hover over them, but also ticks them off when you have already examined them, makes this the definitive version for me. Would not have expected this when I first started playing, TBH.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Has the game's soundtrack changed at all? Is it still the DS's soundtrack or has it been improved upon?

Apr 19, 2018

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Why this trilogy released without italian subtitles when italian subtitles were in the old version of those games? I know other languages will be added later, but a translation is available already so why not implementing it in this re-release. I have absolutely no problem with the english language, but I'm of the opinion if a translation already exist you should use it, if not to reach all the possible audience for the game.