• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
DxFD7YKUwAED2ns.jpg

I know there are people who are curious about the VR part of Ace Combat 7, and they just released VR demo on Japanese PSN store.
You will be able to play part of the first VR mission here.
Not sure if the demo will be up on the Western store when the game comes out or not.
But the demo on the Japanese store has English voice/text option so if you have Japanese PSN account or want to try out VR asap you can download the Japanese version.

https://store.playstation.com/ja-jp/product/JP0700-CUSA14839_00-ACECMBT7VRSTDEMO

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I know this is a stupid question but can you play it without VR? Never tried any AC before.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well lets see if I can get this in before I pass out tonight.

...should be finished downloading in 5 mins, interested to see how this compared to the star Wars vr mission.

Last edited:

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like this VR mode is yet another PlayStation exclusive. Argh. Does my expensive Vive setup mean nothing to you Bamco?! Lol.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
just tried it out, that was pretty awesome experience. I like the ability to look around freely from the cockpit, cool for tracking where the target plane is. feel something during intro where you just sit in the cockpit while the plane moves on it's own, didn't really feel sick when the action is going on, but when I stop playing there's a feeling of relief and mild adjustment of getting out of VR.

haven't played AC since a long time.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Played through it a few times, it's extremely short but the point that it ends seems to be random? First time I played it ended before I even got into a dogfight, played it a seperate time and was able to play in combat for a while but it always ends really early on. It's more like a teaser than a demo but it definitely worked on making me want to buy the game.

First time I got out my PSVR in months and was having tracking drift the entire time that I couldn't fix. Now I remember why I leave it in the box in my entertainment unit.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Played through it a few times, it's extremely short but the point that it ends seems to be random? First time I played it ended before I even got into a dogfight, played it a seperate time and was able to play in combat for a while but it always ends really early on. It's more like a teaser than a demo but it definitely worked on making me want to buy the game.

First time I got out my PSVR in months and was having tracking drift the entire time that I couldn't fix. Now I remember why I leave it in the box in my entertainment unit.

Where is your camera placed in relation to you? I have almost no drift, maybe rarely during skyrim.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That was super short, but really fun. Loved how flying really low gives you a tremendous sense of speed. Also was really feeling it with all the looping and spinning around, but that is a plus in my book.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I've tried multiple different camera setups, in multiple different rooms, lighting conditions and even houses. I just can't get the tracking to work well enough.

Could be the camera itself. I've helped a few friends fix there's and its usually something I notice right away with their setup. One other trick is to turn on the ps4 then the headset. Make sure it's in view of the camera beforehand. Let it sit for a few minutes without touching it, then when the game boots up, put on the headset.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Could be the camera itself. I've helped a few friends fix there's and its usually something I notice right away with their setup. One other trick is to turn on the ps4 then the headset. Make sure it's in view of the camera beforehand. Let it sit for a few minutes without touching it, then when the game boots up, put on the headset.
Is it better to have the camera higher on top of tv or lower in front of tv.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Honestly it shouldn't be so complicated, I just want either a new PSVR 2 with inside out tracking or Xbox to get support for WMR headsets so I can just plug the headset in, put it on and be good to go.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Honestly it shouldn't be so complicated, I just want either a new PSVR 2 with inside out tracking or Xbox to get support for WMR headsets so I can just plug the headset in, put it on and be good to go.

Understandable. I remember being frustrated with it at times. It will definitely improve next gen I'd say.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting motion sickness just reading this thread.

I really want to try it but man.. I dunno.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
You don't get motion sickness in flying games because the cockpit is always in the same place.
Well, that's the theory, I've heard it and repeated it myself a few times in the early days of VR, but Battlezone cured me of that misconception very quickly. I've been playing a lot of PSVR the last few months, never have problems with games like Skyrim or Farpoint as long as I use blink turning. The problem with cockpit games is that blink turning usually breaks the game, so even though you have a stable reference of the vehicle around you, you still need to be careful.

The AC7 demo was definitely giving me some negative feels. Some motions are better than others, and to be completely fair flying a jet fighter like you do in the game will make most people hurl in real life also.

It'll be different for everyone as with anything VR. Wipeout is ok for me since I use the level pilot head setting, which doesn't work for airplanes. I should note I'm not nauseous after playing the AC7, but it was just under 4 minutes and I wad starting to feel a bit funky. It'll take some getting used to, Driveclub hit me hard the first time I played, but after that I've been fine.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did feel a little weird for like 2 second when do barrel roll for the first time. It went away quickly.
I would suggest you focus on enemy position and track them 360, that way I can do any crazy maneuver and don't feel a thing.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's the theory, I've heard it and repeated it myself a few times in the early days of VR, but Battlezone cured me of that misconception very quickly. I've been playing a lot of PSVR the last few months, never have problems with games like Skyrim or Farpoint as long as I use blink turning. The problem with cockpit games is that blink turning usually breaks the game, so even though you have a stable reference of the vehicle around you, you still need to be careful.

The AC7 demo was definitely giving me some negative feels. Some motions are better than others, and to be completely fair flying a jet fighter like you do in the game will make most people hurl in real life also.

It'll be different for everyone as with anything VR. Wipeout is ok for me since I use the level pilot head setting, which doesn't work for airplanes. I should note I'm not nauseous after playing the AC7, but it was just under 4 minutes and I wad starting to feel a bit funky. It'll take some getting used to, Driveclub hit me hard the first time I played, but after that I've been fine.

Drive club did me in. I didn't go back to VR for a long time after.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
You don't get motion sickness in flying games because the cockpit is always in the same place.

Not true in a lot of cases. Motion sickness occurs when your brain/inner ear senses discrepancies between sensors of movement. If you look like you're walking but you're actually sat down, and none of your senses (other than eyes) indicate walking.

When doing loops and barrel rolls your body expects forces to apply to the body that are not there. Having a cockpit doesn't get around that.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Fucking hell this is amazing. I've been waiting since the PSVR launched for an experience like this one and here it is. Totally worth it.

But why, oh why is it so damn short even in the final game? I'm not sure I'll pick this game up on PS4 just for the VR mode. I can see it getting old real quick with so little content. Perhaps I'll buy the game on PC instead.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So glad I decided against the game once I realised the whole game wasn't VR compatible. I couldn't even last a minute without feeling sick on this.

stepee

Jan 29, 2018
I just made a japan account to try the demo, and it is pretty legit. I'll probably buy it when it's heavily discounted because I only want the small vr part, but if it was the full game it would be day 1. The sense of imerision is crazy good.

I have been messing with 3D/vr for a long time so I don't get sick, but it did make me feel the movement in a way that is fantastic but I could see people without their vr "sea legs" getting sick really easily. It doesn't pull any punches.

Short demo, like 5-10 minutes, but I'm sold on their vr implementation. It's like a disneyland ride.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fucking hell this is amazing. I've been waiting since the PSVR launched for an experience like this one and here it is. Totally worth it.

But why, oh why is it so damn short even in the final game? I'm not sure I'll pick this game up on PS4 just for the VR mode. I can see it getting old real quick with so little content. Perhaps I'll buy the game on PC instead.

It's frustrating that it is so short, especially with the early rumors of the full campaign supporting VR. But... it's worth it? Very memorable experience despite the drab missions/music/drama compared to the single player campaign.

Going back to non-VR Ace Combat feels like a cold shower .

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
It's frustrating that it is so short, especially with the early rumors of the full campaign supporting VR. But... it's worth it? Very memorable experience despite the drab missions/music/drama compared to the single player campaign.

Going back to non-VR Ace Combat feels like a cold shower .

Feel you bro. Hopefully we will get DLC missions.