turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah man. For them to still be pulling 24m MAU is really just a testament to how amazingly successful their games have been.

Overwatch is the only Blizzard game I play, but a lot us still playing at this point are in it for the long haul. Despite having no content the game hasn't gotten worse. IMO its gotten better a bit in terms of balance and other updates.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Overwatch is the only Blizzard game I play, but a lot us still playing at this point are in it for the long haul. Despite having no content the game hasn't gotten worse. IMO its gotten better a bit in terms of balance and other updates.
Me too. I think Overwatch is kinda better now because there's fewer casuals. I think people who are playing are there to "play Overwatch" and not play an Overwatch-themed team deathmatch game.

Baseline

Jun 1, 2019
Portland, OR
thats kinda my point, I expect fundamental shifts in wows disgin regardless, and making it work on console is something that makes sense from a bussness pov. also wow has had dance fights before, and tbh, and yeah I know its personal prefrence, but vastly prefer dance fights regardless.
You'll just alienate people who play wow right now and prefer the way it plays. I'd highly bet you'd lose way more players then you would gain

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
Started with Warcraft 2, Diablo and Starcraft back in the day. Was a huge fan for over a decade until the quality started to decline and the Activision rot set in. My last hope was for Diablo 4 to be good and save face for Blizzard. Alas if it's PC/Xbox only I won't be able to play it without maybe getting Xcloud or something. Starcraft and Warcraft RTS are dead :(

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember that "fundamental design shift" for Star Wars Galaxies?

I forget, how did that turn out again?
counter point wow is a fundamentally different game now than it was at its Hight, ironically ff14 is far closer to what wow was at its Hight. wow already did its star wars Galaxies change, and its why its in its current mess.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I don't know anyone who actually likes the modern day systems design of WoW. Entire systems designed to keep you playing just long enough to make you subscribe for another month.

Baseline

Jun 1, 2019
Portland, OR
counter point wow is a fundamentally different game now than it was at its Hight, ironically ff14 is far closer to what wow was at its Hight. wow already did its star wars Galaxies change, and its why its in its current mess.
Systems wise sure(tokens etc) but that's like saying cause 14 is a fundamentally different game than what is was in the past because of class changes/added abilites etc. They both still play the same combat wise since release
I don't know anyone who actually likes the modern day systems design of WoW. Entire systems designed to keep you playing just long enough to make you subscribe for another month.
Yeah all the currencies are annoying as shit.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
Yeeeeeeeaah, thats no where close to reality. Sorry.

WoWs current gameplay compared to what it was earlier is definitely not the same as going from a sandbox classic MMO to a third person shooter.

WoWs peak was WoLK and FF14 isnt even close to WotLK. Also, WoWs decline for a dozens of reasons and "changing classes around" is probably at the bottom.

Im really at a loss with how wrong your post is. Amazing.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeeeeeeeaah, thats no where close to reality. Sorry.

WoWs current gameplay compared to what it was earlier is definitely not the same as going from a sandbox classic MMO to a third person shooter.

WoWs peak was WoLK and FF14 isnt even close to WotLK. Also, WoWs decline for a dozens of reasons and "changing classes around" is probably at the bottom.

Im really at a loss with how wrong your post is. Amazing.
wows issues are mostly the fairly major changes to its game systems since woltk. its a prity different game now, than it was than.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
wows issues are mostly the fairly major changes to its game systems since woltk. its a prity different game now, than it was than.

Is there any actual stats on the reasons for the decline in numbers (of which there don't seem to be a great source for). Its more likely a combination of many things, from a much larger selection of popular multiplayer games to play, getting tired of playing the same thing for decades for whatever reason and being difficult to get into compared to contemporaries.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any actual stats on the reasons for the decline in numbers (of which there don't seem to be a great source for). Its more likely a combination of many things, from a much larger selection of popular multiplayer games to play, getting tired of playing the same thing for decades for whatever reason and being difficult to get into compared to contemporaries.
its oncourse not 1 thing that has couse this, but wow is objectively a less accessible game than it was in wotlk. wow has one entry point every 2 years (xpack release) ff4 soft resets its endgame every 6 months. ff14 makes top leval gear from the teir supper easy to get,even for casul players, just before the next raid teir. in the end its only one of sevral reasons but lack of on ramps has made is almost impossable for wow to get new, or even returning players in to its end game loop.

KyuubiRogue

Jun 16, 2021
This makes it easy to assume that many of ABK's users, such as those who may have once spent their time on World of Warcraft, have jumped ship in favour of Square Enix's latest (and ongoing) offerings.

Is there any source for this?
Not possible ABK users jump ship to ESO, Black Desert or any other MMO?

Lots of WOW streamers "jumped ship" to XIV over the summer and its very likely their communities also tried it out as well. XIV was already steadily gaining new ppl while in a content lull and WOW streamers playing XIV only helped em get more ppl.

Not a 1:1 correlation but theres a reason more companies are paying streamers to advertise their games because it creates "hype" and those viewers then go try said game. Apex Legends is a prime example with no marketing (small leaks the week of iirc) + shadow launch and having top fps streamers on it day 1 equaling a bunch of ppl trying it out.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
its oncourse not 1 thing that has couse this, but wow is objectively a less accessible game than it was in wotlk. wow has one entry point every 2 years (xpack release) ff4 soft resets its endgame every 6 months. ff14 makes top leval gear from the teir supper easy to get,even for casul players, just before the next raid teir. in the end its only one of sevral reasons but lack of on ramps has made is almost impossable for wow to get new, or even returning players in to its end game loop.
WoW also soft resets the endgame and offers catch up gear and systems with every major patch, you don't have to be on board from the start of the expansion to play.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
I will be honest.
It doesn't matter what Blizzard does to WoW, or how they change it.

I just don't want to play it anymore.
Played from Vanilla to Legion.

At this point the quality of the game is irrelevant, I just can't play this game anymore, I need something different.

WoW 2 isn't happening, but its the only way I would ever come back at this point.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017

I wouldn't say its super easy to get top tier gear. Just getting the number of tomestones to cap out one set will take many weeks and getting all the enhancement items to take that gear to cap will require at least 10 weeks of doing the alliance raid. And that's only for one role gear set.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say its super easy to get top tier gear. Just getting the number of tomestones to cap out one set will take many weeks and getting all the enhancement items to take that gear to cap will require at least 10 weeks of doing the alliance raid. And that's only for one role gear set.
sevral weeks before the next teir they removed the allance raid lockout and double tomestone from 450 to 900. that and crafted gear released with each savage teir makes the peivios savage gear worthless anyways.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
sevral weeks before the next teir they removed the allance raid lockout and double tomestone from 450 to 900. that and crafted gear released with each savage teir makes the peivios savage gear worthless anyways.

I mean, it is not hard but it's not easy. There's a big time commitment for causals to get top tier gear and that's the majority of the 7-8 month gap between tiers.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
I mean, it is not hard but it's not easy. There's a big time commitment for causals to get top tier gear and that's the majority of the 7-8 month gap between tiers.

It's easy unless you savage raid crafted gear is all you need. Right now it's 580 ilvl compared to 600 for savage raid piece and 605 for the weapon. It's super expensive the first few hours to a day or two and then market price crashes hard.