• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I think the point OP is trying to make is that it appears to be in the final stages. When the initial announcement was made they said they were in the process of having the IP transferred to Bungie. Now that they have publicly removed Activision from Destiny marketing, it seems that transfer is nearly/fully complete.
https://www.destinythegame.com/
https://www.destinythegame.com/d1.html
unknown.png

unknown.png

From now on, the burden of this franchise's future lies solely on Bungie's shoulders.

Last edited:

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Activision just did their part of the contract and finished.

(lol)

Good luck, Bungie, yere gonna need it.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
Good. So disappointed in what destiny become/is. Activision was smart to cut lose this underperforming game. I really question bungies future with this franchise.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
Did you guys hear that Bungie is leaving Activision?

I think the point OP is trying to make is that it appears to be in the final stages. When the initial announcement was made they said they were in the process of having the IP transferred to Bungie. Now that they have publicly removed Activision from Destiny marketing, it seems that transfer is nearly/fully complete.

No need to be a smartass.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any word on exactly what the deal is for the PC version of Destiny 2? It would be kind of awkward if they were to release another full expansion while still tied to the Battle.net launcher and infrastructure...

And good luck to them, but I think Destiny 2's earlier failings were more due to internals at Bungie than anything Activision pushed from what I've gathered, so I'm morbidly interested to see how it plays out for them in the future.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Is there any word on exactly what the deal is for the PC version of Destiny 2? It would be kind of awkward if they were to release another full expansion while still tied to the Battle.net launcher and infrastructure...

And good luck to them, but I think Destiny 2's earlier failings were more due to internals at Bungie than anything Activision pushed from what I've gathered, so I'm morbidly interested to see how it plays out for them in the future.
It was stated that the game and foreseeable updates will still come to Battle.net. It's too late to remove it, as the game is intertwined with Battle.net and its features.

Destiny 2 will still receive full support on BattleNet and we do not anticipate any disruption to our services or your gameplay experience.
https://twitter.com/BlizzardCS/status/1083471774015258629

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

D2 will still be hosted on Battle.net, that is not going to change. For the next game though, who knows.
Because I've never played Destiny before and it looks intriguing.
There are far better options unless you REALLY don't have any other platforms to play it...

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile

VV is still working on the third mini expansion later this year the [REDACTED] season. After that, Bungie is free to choose. D2 will remain in Battle.net

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder who bungee partners with next time because I find it hard to believe they have the resources to advertise this game on the level of activision.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure why but when I read the headline I read Destiny as Disney and was VERY confused. Interesting to see that Bungie's deal with Activision seems to finally be done though.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 3 exclusive to Epic Store then?

This would be interesting and I could easily see Epic throwing a pile of money at them, but I doubt that it would engender much goodwill from the community with the current controversy surround the Epic Games Store. It would probably be worse for them than being on the Battle.net launcher unless the game nailed and massively exceeded expectations from the gate. And I don't see Epic ponying up anywhere close to the marketing budget and reach Activision provided, given that they'd likely be more focused on promoting their own products more which are close enough to compete for users.

Discord or Humble are options for PC I guess, though Steam is obviously the safe platform if they're not published by EA, Microsoft, or Ubisoft. The latter of which seems less likely than the other two.

OP
OP
JB2448

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
So essentially nothing, they broke up and this is just part of the process. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
See:
Sorry if you don't like the thread.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
It was stated that the game and foreseeable updates will still come to Battle.net. It's too late to remove it, as the game is intertwined with Battle.net and its features.

https://twitter.com/BlizzardCS/status/1083471774015258629

yeah but you know what would suck is if destiny 3 came out on some other PC platform and any veteran-style rewards were simply unavailable to people who played destiny 2 on PC due to the platform switch

oh wait that's exactly what happened to people who played destiny 1 on console and moved to PC for destiny 2, no veteran rewards for anyone on PC even though you are able to link your PSN/XBL profile to battle.net. bungie knows if you did stuff in D1 on PS4/XB1 but couldn't be bothered to reward you for it if you decided to play D2 on PC.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
Destiny 3 exclusive to Epic Store then?
IIRC some of the Bungie developers have been posting experiments using the Unreal Engine on social media/forums, so maybe this makes sense. Plus, Bungie appears to be an exceptionally expensive studio to run thus any additional exclusivity bonus funds would prolly be very welcomed.

VV is still working on the third mini expansion later this year the [REDACTED] season. After that, Bungie is free to choose. D2 will remain in Battle.net
Wonder for how long Destiny 2 will remain available on Battle.Net after this year's Season Pass has run its course. Doubt Activision Blizzard wish to keep Destiny on their exclusive Store/Launcher indefinitely. This precarious situation makes getting further invested time-wise into Destiny 2 on PC harder to justify (and I have the Season Pass). Kinda hoping that Bungie rips the band-aid off sooner so we get a clearer picture of where Destiny is going.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
yeah but you know what would suck is if destiny 3 came out on some other PC platform and any veteran-style rewards were simply unavailable to people who played destiny 2 on PC due to the platform switch

oh wait that's exactly what happened to people who played destiny 1 on console and moved to PC for destiny 2, no veteran rewards for anyone on PC even though you are able to link your PSN/XBL profile to battle.net. bungie knows if you did stuff in D1 on PS4/XB1 but couldn't be bothered to reward you for it if you decided to play D2 on PC.
We really don't know what sort of deal Bungie and Activision made to let them basically walk out with the IP. For all we know, Activision is still making money off D2 and will. Which is why they didn't throw a fit and are keeping the game on Battle.net.

D3, well that's going to be a different story. I doubt it would be on the Epic Games Store, mainly due to what the game needs. As it is now and until Epic says otherwise, the service won't be offering game servers. Steam not only has their own game servers but recently said that usage of those servers will be free or discounted.

Of course, that's all down the line. Hell, Bungie could set up their infrastructure and run it themselves. Who knows. But if they do, can I get hired there ;)

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
All contract stipulations/renegotiations/Eververse were on Bungie. Nobody else.

I mean, I am sure they were pressured by being a profit sop not just for their own executives but for Activision's as well.

I just found the comment strange? Like woo, now Activision is free of the Destiny millstone and can return to doing what it's good at...which is what exactly?

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
How is this good? Big fan of Activision or something? Lol
I wasn't a big fan of destiny 1 and 2. Even though I purchase both and expansion packs. I kept assuming bungie would make the game better or not release an unfinished game. Plus their decision to keep raids only to formed groups and not enable a bigger matchmaking ability. People can try and blame activision but ultimately it was bungies game and in my opinion not a very good one overall. Maybe they can right the ship for 3 but I learned my lesson and won't be buying again from bungie.