• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Watching Luke Wilson in Stargirl actually working instead of slacking and selling lines and moments that lesser actors couldn't made me realize that I probably wouldn't enjoy the show half as much without him and Brec Bassinger getting to just bounce off each other. I've been noticing this as a trend in the DC shows: hire good actors to make up for mediocre writing.

To me this is exemplified by this man right here:

440px-Tom_Cavanagh_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

Tom Cavanagh as Harrison Wells/
Various Other Wells/Eobard Thawne (Reverse Flash)

This man took material and characters that should flatly not have worked and just sold it.

My other top pick might be controversial, but hear me out:

Gene_Wilder_as_Willy_Wonka.jpeg

Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka

Let me ask a question, remember Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Now, remove your memories that contain Gene Wilder. I'm going to guess what is left is probably only the musical numbers (and not even "Charlie's Song"), and maybe the child "deaths" if you want to just edit out the parts with Gene Wilder. This man made this movie. It was his idea for Wonka to come out limping with the cane into the somersault, because to paraphrase, "the audience wouldn't know what was real or a lie for the rest of the movie".

I feel like this is also one of the strengths of the MCU: the casting. Think about how many roles in the MCU are going to be forever associated with one actor: Robert Downey Jr. is Iron Man, Chris Evans is Captain America, etc.

I just thought people could highlight the actors who elevate their works to another level.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Clara Bow was in a bunch of middling films but her acting made them better than they had any right to be.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
Tom Cavanagh and the various Wells he plays has been annoying since the second season of Flash.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hugh Laurie in a lot of stuff. Definitely House is a big example, since it was like 8 years of him elevating the show.

giphy.gif

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Kiefer Sutherland in 24 is the best example of this. With him the show is great, but without its full of cliches and terrible writing

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
69cedf473503049d2f555c068fbfd681503de8f3.jpg

I love him in just about everything he does, but without him, Man of Steel would have been much much worse.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Elisabeth Moss. Just watched Shirley and its an incredible performance, as always.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Patrick Stewart keeps the first 2 seasons (and more, frankly) of TNG watchable through his sheer talent alone.

Zeus

Corrupted by Vengeance and Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
Tom Hardy in/as Venom.

Literally nothing else of value in that entire film and yet I came out of it content.

OP
OP

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Tom Cavanagh and the various Wells he plays has been annoying since the second season of Flash.
From the qualifiers, I take it you do not disagree with my opinion of the character he played in the first season.

Should have been in the OP. Perfect first post though.
I will admit to thinking about it, but my first thought was Justified and the Shield which were great shows in their own right.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking about this last night. I don't think he's a great actor in it but it always makes me at least a little interested when James Marsden is in a show. I have no idea why - he's just a comforting presence.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Totally agree with OP's example. I pretty much just read on my iPad these days while we watch The Flash but I almost always pay attention to Tom Cavanaugh's scenes. Actor looks like he's having a blast.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rami Malek in Mr.Robot. Sam Esmail was right when he said that even though Elliot would say some of the most pretentious shit, Rami was able to make that feel a lot less so. Not to mention his performance in this show is really what ties everything together. I may not have liked Bohemian Rhapsody and the fact that he won an Oscar for it but Episode 7 in Season 4 more than proves that it's deserved imo.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Kyle Mclachlan in Agents of Shield season 3.

Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight. Billy Zane deviated from the serious script, and ad-libbed to make his villain character more charming, silly, and ridiculous. Without him, that movie would've been a dud.

Innocent Blood: Robert Loggia gave a legendarily hammy performance as a mob boss that was turned into a vampire. Also ad-libbed many of his lines with John Landis' approval, and made that movie way better than it had any right to be.

Vincent D'Onofrio in Daredevil.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
1a2ba070ae45f392d6685a4e130d0a13.gif

I don't know how the hell ABC managed to get Robert Carlyle for Once Upon a Time, but I gladly sat through 5 seasons of utter garbage for him hamming it up.